Speaker 1: Tell me we're starting this very special bonus episode of two Good Sports at the end because it's the end of the games. The closing ceremony has literally just wrapped up at the time of record.
Speaker 2: I can't believe, and we will mention it is halftime because we do have the Power Games coming up and we cannot wait. So we get two weeks to get our sleeping schedule back on track.
Speaker 3: Because I am tired.
Speaker 2: Did someone set the alarm on Saturday morning thinking Jess Hull was running at four am?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: And wonder why we're watching the four hundred? Really?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Did I wake up this morning to watch the entirety of the closing ceremony because I knew that we were talking about it. Absolutely, So let's take you through. We're literally in pajamas. Are they the athletes pajamas? Yes they are, Yes, they are, Yes they are.
Speaker 1: We have somehow got our hands on some very comfortable pjs just in honor of our athletes eventually touching back down on us.
Speaker 2: By roving enterprises. But let us have a look. What did you think the closing ceremony? First and foremost, just like all of the gold medal predictions, did we or did we not tell you was a fun fact that Tom Cruise would be involved?
Speaker 1: We told you it was a potential fact confirmation fact fact, it's a fact fact. And did we say potentially that he would be repelling down from the stud de France?
Speaker 2: Aha?
Speaker 1: Yeah, did that happen?
Speaker 2: Aha?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are once again psy kick geniuses. But before we get to Tom Cruise, jell me, I have to admit I was in and out. I was in and out of the closing ceremony. I was watching, then I wasn't that I was watching again, then I wasn't. So my notes upon the actual overall event little bit haphazard. So let's go for it. Number one note that I've written here golden hummingbird. There seemed to be a whole plot point that I missed exactly what the context was. But there was a golden humming bird making its way around a stage, a very very decorative looking step, lots of angles and I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sending what was just ended via a cable, and I at first thought went, oh my god, it's Tom Cruise and he's golden, and there's lasers everywhere, and this is what happens. But how did Tom get in circus in true French style, there was a real apparently it was extraterrestrial. So we're in this. Firstly, we're not on the seend. We're not on this.
Speaker 3: We're in and so we're watching the exit now.
Speaker 2: And for me, the closing ceremony gives a vibe of when the year twelves have left school and they've got one more assembly they have to sit through where the principal still has to speak and they're kind of in party mode and they're like, right, oh, like we're all here, we're all mingling. And that is the amazing thing about the closing ceremony. And it's been since the fifties where someone said, you know what, let's have the athletes all walk in together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that happened again.
Speaker 2: So you come just arriving as part of your country, under your nation's flag, and then they have all the flag bearers come first, and then the athletes just roll on in and you can tell they are ready to party. They started their own chance at one point, the unofficial anthem that is no nonanaa. They all just started launching into it on their own accord. Yes, listen to Thomas Bark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got I got a bit confused about that because that was a part where I had then came back in, So I tapped back into the coverage and I thought, hang on, what's happening here, I've missed some key plot point. Where did that hummingbird goes? Then I tapped back out and then tapped back in in time to see Phoenix the band perform who everyone would remember the days of big day out at any festival that you used to have gone to, Zoomers, good luck. You don't know who on a Phoenix is as a band. I don't, No, you do.
Speaker 2: Honestly, as they were everywhere, literally said I don't know who this is. I'm also even worse.
Speaker 1: Listomania.
Speaker 2: You know that Listomania came on and I went, oh, I know this, and I went my oh my god, it's happened. I've become my mother.
Speaker 3: It's happened because.
Speaker 2: This is clearly a band that is so that everyone knows who it is. And then the opening bars of Listener it happened and I was like, oh, this is a begger. I know this one. What upset me? Okay, I've just let everyone know that I'm a loser. Point one, but point two. There had been rumors and the expectation. I would go so far as to say, the expectation that the icon of the Games, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Snoop mister Snoop Doggy.
Speaker 2: Would be performing as a stage to France in front of all these athletes that have been obsessed with him, getting photos with him, trading pins with him throughout the last two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yep, we were carving it in stone. That's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: And even the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And if I'm an if I'm an athlete that's just gone through a Games, I'm like, I deserve this. I deserve a front road where concerts.
Speaker 1: My gift, after the gift that I gave you with my performance, time for me to be rewarded.
Speaker 2: They performed, and thankfully I know who they are. It was a re record and they were supposedly in a beach in La So here's they were nowhere near the stadium. I would have rid it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So hang on, hang on, hang on, let me get this right. If we're going through just an order of events, We've got the hummingbird. We don't know where the hummingbird goes. Then there is Phoenix. They're playing something.
Speaker 2: There's very beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh there is a piano. The floating piano. There was a floating piano. Was all very confusing. I was like, is he playing a little bit beautiful? How was he doing that? That was exceptional. Kazinski played a song from Drive AKA one of my favorite movies with Ryan Goslin and Gary Mulligan, and I know this song I'm gooding you were No. Basically it was me being like, he's French. Well, oh my god, they're French. Wow, incredible. And then we had the moment of the transition, so where we were gifting the games to La to see what was happening, Tom Cruise ab sails his way down to the center of the stadium. Absolutely no, no one steals the Olympic flag. We said, he's steal something so I mean a micro flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At some point he gave a lovely hug to the goats and biles who was holding the flag, and then he proceeds to drive through a relatively and surprisingly empty Paris. In a pre recorded section, Sarah on a motorbike with the flag before getting it to La and donning or what did he do? He essentially he like base jumped out of a plane to make the Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Sign, which the.
Speaker 2: Ing yes, and I thought that was really cool. So they basically had incorporated the two o's on the Hollywood Sign, which had become the symbol of the Games. And I thought that's clever. Yeah, that's holy.
Speaker 1: I liked that.
Speaker 2: I liked that.
Speaker 1: And then we went to Venice Beach, where as Gelmy, you were right in pointing out.
Speaker 2: The greatest concert happened ever in front of twenty extras.
Speaker 1: To I was like, that's not real people, real people in the crown.
Speaker 2: Do you know who were real people? Our athletes that were made to dress like they were private school kids on an excursion. And I'd also like to say that the female colourway looks like a Medicare car. It's really hard when you scan a large crowd and all the Australians aren't together, and they're not in green and gold, they're in beij Safari style shorts. A belt that no one's worn since the early nineties.
Speaker 1: Now the belt. Can we talk about the belt?
Speaker 2: No? I can't. It does because it does.
Speaker 1: It's giving oshkosh b gosh. Now that is our next reference that something I know certain people I don't know, funny, got it, but they're hideous.
Speaker 2: But meanwhile, the American athletes come out in ralph Lorin looking like sexy astronauts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sexy astronauts.
Speaker 2: They look so cool. We look so lame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the new host of the Games, where they're the sexy astronauts that are taking us, you know, the advanced AP class kids off on an excursion around NASA.
Speaker 2: Granted it was still thirty three degrees and people had fans like they were trying to keep themselves. Was cool, So I'm guessing that the breatheable linen was probably very handy for our athletes.
Speaker 1: But I just thought, really, really, why why are we in these colors? They're not even like.
Speaker 2: Not everyone and again showing that I went to a private high school, Not everyone tucked their shirts in. There was no uniformity in how everyone decided to wear this stuff.
Speaker 1: It just looked, I mean, so terri closing ceremony flag bearers in Kaylee McEwan and Matt Waren, who we've talked about a lot during our two Good Sports Green and Gold addition, is there a part do you think where they're like, Oh, I'm in that, I'm in that, I'm wearing.
Speaker 2: Kaylee's part of glasses. Can only do so much. They can only they can only try to elevate so much.
Speaker 1: I am I am sad that it wasn't Snoop. I'm sad that we didn't get Snoop live.
Speaker 2: It would have. It was such a layup. It was such a layup to have everyone lose their mind. Yeh, he had have descended, like if he had have just walked on, because he doesn't need to ab sail off anything. He just needs to walk out in the middle or maybe on a dressage horse like this itself.
Speaker 1: Let's think about that, right, imagine itself. Imagine Snoop doggubj God. I was being like Noah Las there couldn't spell being a Snoop Dogg just on a dressage horse getting led by Martha Stewart, his friend. He's great friends obviously, like, you're right, it does right itself.
Speaker 2: But what does bring warmth to your heart is there is something amazing about seeing all of these athletes just clearly release the shackles in the stress of their lives leading up to this point and how much they would have anticipated their performance. There was also a rendition of we are the champions, so DJ read the room very well, so they're all belting out we are the champions and swaying together. And again it's that blur of different countries. I did. One of my first notes when the athletes were entering, was like, gee, this would look prettier at night.
Speaker 3: Because they ended while it was still daytime.
Speaker 2: But then of course it descends in tonight, so you do you get Oh I missed the start effect. I do feel they also handed out what you get at a Taylor Swift concert on the wristbands and then light up. They give you an idea. And the stage itself was I think designed to look like the moon. There was movement, there was same.
Speaker 1: I got confused about the stage because when I was looking at it, I was like, hang on a second, are they all the continents of the world and they've done it in like an abstract version, But then when they zoomed out, it kind of looked like a dog holding a scepter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there was the return of our mast vigilante.
Speaker 3: Oh, so he came.
Speaker 2: He came back because the golden guys come down, so he's back flipping around. There's there's a Greek flag, there's a lot of things going on, But essentially I'd love to go to a closing ceremony if I was ever going to fake being an athlete, I'd go in there and be like.
Speaker 1: Whoo, do you know what I think they nailed? They absolutely nailed with the closing ceremony is that they farewell to Paris with an high art interpretation of an ancient myth that no one really quite understood. Yes, and don't you think that that right?
Speaker 2: And then went to a beach in La and went this this year get may as well have had Katy Perry come out and seen California girls and just be done with it.
Speaker 1: And I just say, the cleanest I've ever seen that Venice beach look the cleanest it has ever looked.
Speaker 2: But Snoop and his lack of performance at the State of France, we say he should have been there because he's one of the icons of the Games. And George, we have been so busy talking through all of the Australian medals because it has haranged, we haven't had a chance to talk about some of the things that are really sports news told differently, and one of those has to be the Turkish assassin.
Speaker 1: Yo, the Turkish shooter came silver. Our matte Yusuf is what we're calling.
Speaker 4: He won.
Speaker 1: He won silver in the shooting, and I mean, this is Jeremy one of those rare times where I can't tell you who won the gold.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you can't.
Speaker 1: I don't care who won the gold, because you know what that silver is gold. He won the games. He won the games with his celebration.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen this in me, where have you been? Because it has gone to the point where he has infiltrated celebrations of athletes around the world. Nina Kennedy did it, our mate Mondo did it. The Jamaican who won the discus did it. So you Basically, it's where you look super relaxed, you put one hand in your pocket and you make the other one a pistol. Because the guy had absolutely no equipment and looked so nonchalant on his way to silver, while everyone else looked like they had a half a hardware store on their head trying to help them see that's the thing was made at Iconic.
Speaker 1: It looked like, I mean, Google glasses or whatever, whoever's.
Speaker 3: Totally good virtual reality, virtual reality.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 1: Everyone's using everything to try and live in the matrix and then old mate just comes out with his reading glasses and goes bam.
Speaker 3: And he's not someone that looks modelesque.
Speaker 2: He looks like someone's dad that came to pick him up from a party and said where's my daughter? And you're like sorry, yousuf. Yeah, like he does. It looks like someone that you do not want to mess with. But I say this because Jordan Clark from Fremantle is using that celebrations in the AFL. Now when does it get too old?
Speaker 1: When does it get too old?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean for him never, he's allowed to do it whenever. It's actually also genuinely his technique for shooting. But when is it too.
Speaker 3: Horror recond it or probably the end of the Power Games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon it's going to have its circuit and have its time, but you never know. It could it could go beyond that. But in terms of icons to come from the Games, he certainly has to be.
Speaker 1: He's up there, he's up there. I think something else jell me. Because of course the city of Love. That's another term that we used to describe Paris and another iconic. I've got that in quotation marks because I'm not sure how I feel about Luckily, I do know how I feel about this iconic thing we saw at the Games was a lot of proposals, a lot of wedding like marriage proposals for athletes, and I hate it. I just hate it. I hate it so much.
Speaker 2: You know how I feel about this. It reminds me of the time that someone during a Test match at the Gabba proposed to their partner in the pool and I just went all.
Speaker 3: Glass, not the pool, in the pool. Cricket Land.
Speaker 2: We actually, we actually saw over the weekend a proposal in the AFL. No for Melbourne.
Speaker 3: No, that's happened, so it is not I have you been.
Speaker 1: I have gone to Broncos games before where they've proposed and they've said no, there was no there multiple No.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: If you're proposing insan like Yoda, it's multiple. But if you're proposing at a football game or oh you see it and like I guess this sort of originated from the US, where there's sort of the jumbo troll or you're up on a big screen and it can be organized. But for me, something about the Olympics where it's like it's a sacred space. I would like to highlight Alice Fino, the French steeple chase runner for the three thousand meters. She then at the end of her race proposed to her partner and it went viral because the Olympics posted it and her quote was, I ran under nine minutes and nine is my lucky number. We've also been together for nine years, so I thought, I do it if I'm the partner.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, so you run ten and you don't drop a knee.
Speaker 1: How circumstantially in the balance so much our future.
Speaker 2: And also everything about the lead up to this month hasn't been about me, babe, Like.
Speaker 1: What I hate it so much. I remember I saw it at the badminton. We also saw it after the rhythmic gymnastics, where in my mind it's ingrained.
Speaker 2: One of them is on a podium.
Speaker 1: Oh, an athlete from Italy. She just literally just got off the podium and her partner drops to a knee and I think she said, yes, look I each to their own it could be the happiest moment of their lives.
Speaker 2: I if someone.
Speaker 1: Did that to me, automatic, No, I am on a podium. This has nothing to do with you. It is about my relationship with the sport that I have dedicated my life to and that's been in my life for far longer than you. Get out of my space. This is the time for me. I am so mad about it all, all of that.
Speaker 2: I hate it. I love the idea of you stepping back onto the podium to use it as your soapbox. Just say no, get up and go absolutely not. No. And look, I completely agree with you the fact that you can't wait a week just to let everything settle down and to not But we do need to go through some honorable mentions of some things that we love. Talking about the guy that became obsessed with the chocolate muffins in the village, to the point where people have now created hacks of what you can do with the coals or Woolworth's cake.
Speaker 1: I would say that, also, do you think that those countries just eat a lot healthier than us, because I feel like our ones at Woolies and Coals are just as good. They're just good, They're just as good. But this was all because the athletes. There was a lot many a TikTok about just how shit the food was.
Speaker 2: Total and the beds and the experience and it might be eco, but I'd like some air conditioning please.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. So therefore a mate. I think he was a was he Dutch? He was Christians and that's yes Dutch, yepish. Anyway, he was a swimmer and he went viral for doing his reviews on food and then he decided that chocol muffin was the greatest thing that he ever eaten.
Speaker 2: They it exploded.
Speaker 1: It exploded so much so that the village then had to release a statement they thought that they were going to In the end, I think it was bake one hundred thousand of these, because two thousand were being consumed today. At one point it was really hard to even get them because it doesn't it really really doesn't. So obviously honorable mention to the icon that was chocolate muffin man.
Speaker 2: The horse guy. He's pomerhorse Guy. Our next honorable mention. He was part of the USA gymnastics team that was such a nerd that I think he can complete the Rubik's Cuban under twenty seconds, under ten under ten.
Speaker 1: He does it for fun as a way to take his mind off his nerves.
Speaker 2: But the reason why everyone fell in love with him was that he wears glasses so it looks like Clark Kent and then he just takes them off. And the only discipline that he competes in is the pomber horse, and my god, does he own the pommel horse? And all of the United States has just gone, who's Clark Kent that we only pull out for this one discipline that help helped the medal. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: And the reason that he takes his glasses off is because he does have a pretty serious vision impediment. He's cross eyed. It has a fancy scientific name, but essentially he's cross eyed. And obviously with the pommel horse fair bitted, jerking kind of movements there, you can't hold glasses on your face, so what it is you actually can't really see what he's doing. It's all feel. It's all feel when.
Speaker 3: He's on the horse, and you need to see how good he is at this.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's very impressing.
Speaker 2: Incredible people that wouldn't look impressive on a pommel horse. The guy in the swimming that had the colorful speeders and the very average physique a dad Bob.
Speaker 3: After two weeks of.
Speaker 2: Watching swimmers where You're like, you could bounce a coin off any part of any of their bodies, like they are just zero percent body fat. Yes, but this he had to go and retrieve a cat.
Speaker 1: Not all heroes wear capes, chealmy, they only indeed wear those colorful speeders because I'd never actually thought or spared any second to think about. Lots of the athletes wear double caps because apparently it saves them up no point zero one of a second, right, but all of you.
Speaker 2: The resistance on the goggles then is lower, so they might not have water resistance.
Speaker 1: So he happens if one of those caps falls off and then it's stuck in the pool. Oh my god, delay, delay, Delay.
Speaker 2: You can't have athletes named him Bob. No one knows if that's actual name, but they're like, Bob had to go in and swim.
Speaker 1: And also he could have just had a regular pair of speedos on. No, you did not need to have that many colors on them.
Speaker 2: It wreaked of like we needed to get in. And he's like, oh, but I've only got my colorful jocks.
Speaker 3: I did not know today.
Speaker 1: So here is another icon and just quickly a final honorable mention to a story that really captured our hearts. And I know that romance riders everywhere have already got a first draft in the works. Because the tennis lovers won the mixed doubles. Oh my goodness, they've broken They've been together four years, broken up in the lead up. The two Czech athletes broke up in the lead up to the game, so they want to focus more on their individual careers, but they'd already committed to competing in the mixed doubles.
Speaker 2: They win gold and they embrace, and you're like, tell me you're not back in love. Yeah, yeah, hang on it, tell me that you're not already in my head, I'm like, mixed doubles, mixed feelings? Is that the headline? Like? What are we all? Do you have to run? Do you have to pun on love? I don't know. But this again, because we've been so focused on the athletic outcome, there are the little things that Georgie and I have had a twitch to talk about, and if you can't tell, there's some of them. But that is the beauty of the games. Is if someone had told you at the start of this adventure in Paris that it would be a Turkish shooter that won silver, that would become the icon of the Games and Snoop Dogg. I really would have wondered what happened.
Speaker 1: Late late entry for the icon status.
Speaker 4: Reygun the greatest breaker that you've ever seen, choreographed by Chris Lily and cath day Night on the world stage, jumping around as a kangaroo.
Speaker 1: Now, there's been a lot said about Raygun.
Speaker 2: And breaking at the Games as a general.
Speaker 1: And breaking at the Games, it's not going to be there in La. Everyone calmed down is not going to be there in LA. But really I would say it wasn't the best spectacle that I've ever seen at the Olympics. And ray Gun's performance, if we're just being objective and we're just being blunt, wasn't in the top million percent or any cinn She's not making it enter any step up film is my review.
Speaker 2: I find this whole story really uncomfortable because I'm always someone that thinks if people are laughing at and not with someone on a really big stage, it makes me super uncomfortable. Yes, and the fact that this is her discipline and as Animirs said, she is the best breakdownser that Australia has that we've sent to participate and represent our country. The fact that she's been really made the butt of a joke. She's an icon. She's an icon. She's for all the reasons that you don't expect someone to be yes.
Speaker 1: But then there's also layers to this because she's an academic, she's studying breaking. That's how she initially got in. She used to be a classical dance Yates phenomenon about it.
Speaker 2: I just think at the end of the day, she's an Olympian and who the hell are we? But my god? Am I glad it's not featuring in LA because when you think about some of the gold that we've seen, oh, I think a gold foot breaking just shouldn't be in the same category.
Speaker 1: Another reminder here, and I think I'm contractually obliged as a friend of Lizzelli's. Nepple's not in the Olympics, so let's just let's just give it that. And final word on the breaking should go to our other Ossie competitor, Jay Attack, who said I had a lot of fun even though I was slaughtered.
Speaker 3: Goodbye Bak.
Speaker 2: Just to summarize, we like surfing, we like skateboarding because we're good at them. But Breaking can absolutely get on its bike, it can go. But Iconic Games, Honestly, Iconic Games is the highlight. If I think of Paris' top line, I think of a blue smurf on a plate.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, obviously it has to be there, has to be there.
Speaker 2: Leil mush On, who we actually didn't mention from the opening ceremony, but he was the one that went and got the flame for the cauldron at the start.
Speaker 1: Yes, for them to extinguish the flame. It was a lovely touch. When the chant of Leon Leon went.
Speaker 2: Up through the stadium was great and it would be the most spectacular venue at the base of the Eiffel Tower. That will be the visual for me, the beach, volleyball and going how they pulled off venues that just seem so stunning. I will forever be upset that we didn't get snoop at the State France.
Speaker 3: But that's okay, that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 1: But I'm truly excited for what's going on going to be La because it's going to be the most extra Hollywood vibe.
Speaker 2: I'm also excited for the fact that tomorrow drops our wrap up of all we're going to do a summary of basically the medals that we won, how Australia went. We're going to be talking about jess Oh because while we didn't have an episode over the weekend, my god, I need to talk about it, but happened. But please check us out tomorrow because we are going to put a neat bow on. We're going back to the actual outcomes. We're talking back about athletes. We're not going to be talking about chocolate muffins. It's going to be all about green and gold.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently we're gonna find out