Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. Thereby, yaday, guys, welcome back to TV Reload. Thank you for clicking and downloading. On today's episode with Samantha Jade, who was amazing on this year's Dancing with the Stars. I was super excited to confirm a debrief session with sam because I absolutely loved her. And sometimes it's better to talk to the runner up than it is to talk to the winner, you know. Kudos to Lisa McCune. However, my guest today is very well known for being on X Factor. She's been on most reality shows, from Celebrity Apprentice, which I'll bring up at some point of the chat, to the whole list of other ones.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's probably been in the jungle four times by now. But we are here to talk about Dancing with the Stars, and boy did she take to this competition like a duck to water. Who is going to forget that she sung that Christina Aguilira song like absolutely amazing. I will talk about how they filmed those two endings and how she found out whether she came first or second, plus what her reaction was to finding out that Lisa McCune had beaten her. You will find out about how the idea to actually seeing that Christina Aguilira's song came about. And also you'll find out whether or not doing Dancing with the Stars is going to level up Samantha Jade's ability to do live performances. You know, at the moment she does some small amounts of choreography, but I can imagine after doing this, you know, we should expect to see a little bit more. There's an opportunity to talk about the chemistry between the cast, why they connected this year so well, who surprised her, and what she really thought of Sonya Krueger's jokes this year, which is also quite interesting. Oh and I will ask about those judges and if the contestants actually take their critiques on board, which she's quite fascinating. There is so much to talk about with Samantha Jade, So sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of Dancing with the Stars for twenty twenty five. Know, hey, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, how are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm doing very well? But I can honestly say that I am so shocked the Channel seven didn't just call that a tie and get on with the day.
Speaker 3: To be honest, like, I just getting to the final was enough for me, you know, like it was such an amazing experience. And to be standing up there next to Lisa McCune, Like, what in what world do you lose to Lisa?
Speaker 2: That's very cool.
Speaker 1: I think that I read somewhere that like it was very competitive between the two of you, and I can't imagine that you two have ever even had a fight with anybody in your entire life. So was there any competitive spirit behind the scenes between the two of you?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, not at all. Like that's probably the furthest thing from the truth that I've ever heard. She and I she was on my big sister on the show, her and Nikki, Like we.
Speaker 2: All got along.
Speaker 3: That's what was so nice about this experience. It really was like Lisa, we just did the morning show together, and she said it felt like a musical, you know, where everybody becomes very close and becomes friends and it becomes like a showcast. And it really was that feeling where everyone was just kind of driving each other to do better.
Speaker 1: Which is amazing. I think, you know, because you've done other reality shows before. And it's interesting because you know, we've been on this journey with you right from sort of X Factor days, and we've seen you do the shows that I can imagine at this point, you kind of get asked to do these shows and you wonder whether or not there's conflict, or there's drama that's there, or what you're signing yourself up here, And so when you say yes to doing something like Dancing with the Stars, which by nature is competitive, it's probably the last place that you think you're going to go to find everyone being very pg and play school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it really is that, because you're right, I have done other shows that it hasn't been like that. So yeah, it was so lovely. It was a really really good strength and.
Speaker 2: Everybody was really just there, I.
Speaker 3: Think to compete with themselves. I really felt that I think everyone wanted to just better themselves every week. And we've also got to be great for our dance partners, like we're stepping into their world, which is what they do, and we want to make sure that we do our best, you know for them, I mean the amount of hours they put into teaching us and you know, making sure that we feel and look good. It really is, you know, in testament to them, and also we just want to feel like we're we're doing our best for them.
Speaker 1: And I think you definitely did sort of slip into that. I'm trying to think though, there was one show where I remember watching you and maybe it's Celebrity Apprentice, but off the top of my head, I'm really free balling, which is bad for my way, yes, bad for my research team aka myself. And I just remember watching you when my television once where it was like you just were like looked almost at the camera to be like, why the hell am I here? Is that Celebrity Apprentice?
Speaker 3: It would have been Celebrity Apprentice, I'm sure, yeah. I mean just such a different show, completely different show, completely different energy, and you know, completely different goals at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, I think some of these shows that have gone now that we're sort of more about conflict have gone for that reason. I think we by nature here in Australia, the people that are still loving Free to Wear and that are turning up they want to have some escapism from their day and see something more fun. I don't think that they want absolutely the gotcha moment.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think so too. Well. I just think, you know, that kind of gets old, like, you know, the kind of flick satan being and the you know, people being mean to each other and on purpose. It's just like, you know, there's enough going on in the world. There's enough hardships out there, people are going through enough. You know, let's watch something light. It's something fun and cheer people on.
Speaker 1: There was also some reports about there being sort of a couple of endings filmed, because you know, they shot the show a little while ago. When do you find out if they shoot multiple endings? When did they tell you the Seven Rings? Were you watching it on TV last night?
Speaker 3: I watched it live with everybody else. Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, so you know.
Speaker 2: I mean you watch it live with everyone.
Speaker 3: There's something nice about that, you know, you don't I really didn't know, and you just hope for the best, obviously, But yeah, I was nervous all days. There these weird little butterflies in my stomach. It was so funny. And then yeah, I just watched it live and I really didn't know which way it was going to go. I really didn't.
Speaker 1: But thanks good television as well. But I'm curious. Yes, Eve, it was me, and you know, maybe we're very different people. I don't know whether I would just smack the TV and have a tequila shot and go to and then just go to bed and turn off all the lines. I don't know, what does it look like. What does it look like for Samantha Jade when you find out that you didn't win, that you've come second.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you know what?
Speaker 3: I just I just was happy.
Speaker 2: I really was, like, I truly was.
Speaker 3: I was I was cluppying.
Speaker 2: I was like, Lisa McCune was brilliant.
Speaker 3: She is a class act. If there's anyone want to lose to, it's the icon that is Lisa, you know, Like she's Australian acting royalty, you know. And I truly, honestly like, I was so happy a girl one because there's been a lot of male winners in the last few years, and I was like, this girl has to take it home this year. And I was really happy to see that. I was happy to be part of the season that we had a female winner. It's been too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, I didn't. I did appreciate that. You know. What was also surprising for me was when we got the reveal that it was you singing that Christina Aguilera song that's so familiar to us, and you know, yes, one of the most complicated singers of all time. And after that you acknowledge that the what's it called, the not the rhythms, the yes, yeah, and you nail it. So no one knew until they told us. At the end, they were like, and by the way you sung that song, it blew my mind. But how many takes does it take to be in the recording studio to sound like Christina Aguilera to that sort of Well, I.
Speaker 3: Actually have I actually have the footage. I'm going to upload it tonight because I have all the footage singing yeah, because yeah, I mean, of course we're in the rehearsal and I can't remember it really was that came up with that idea, but they're like, would you sing the song? And I was like, I mean, if I'm allowed to, I would love to. They're like, oh my god, let's get you to do it. Then I just said yes, like, because I'm in the middle of a rehearsal. Absolutely, that's my bag.
Speaker 2: That's singing. That's what I do.
Speaker 3: And then I got into the studio and I was like, oh my god, I forgot how hard this song is to sing. I mean, Christina, She's like a vocal powerhouse, and every single line of the riff from the very beginning.
Speaker 1: No one knew. No one knew. Everyone was like, oh, this is Christina, like you know, so yeah, and then I even you know, when they did the playbacks where we got to hear it again. Then you're like, oh, I can hear the signature Samantha Jay. I can hear it now?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, because I did try and make sure that I kind of, you know, played to obviously Christina's obviously definitely her rhythms and how she sings and put it in that kind of place in my voice which I don't usually sing from. So that was really fun to explore as well.
Speaker 1: Well, this was the most broin cast. We just talked about that before. Everyone brought something quite unique, Like even Shane Crawford was obsessed with watching him because he was sort of very fun and it was sort of that was playing into his lane of who he was, but totally who was it for you?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: That really surprised you when it came to hearing about the cast and then seeing them dance, who really shocked you about what they brought to the competition.
Speaker 3: I mean, I really do think everyone did such a great job. Like it's so much harder than I think people think.
Speaker 2: It's.
Speaker 3: It's a real tough show to be on because the dancing is really really hard and getting out there and just getting on.
Speaker 2: Stage is really tough for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I've got to say. Adam, like, I just thought he did such a beautiful job of the rumba. It was just it was so gorgeous. And he's such a cheery, smiley man, and so for him to not smile, I know that that's really hard because I was backstage with them all the time. He's firma smile, like constantly in all. So I loved watching that. I thought he was so great. I mean, Aunt's contemporary was so beautiful to watch. It was really hard to do and he did such a great job. Yeah, just everyone really to be honest, that first run through where you get to kind of watch everyone, I was like, oh my gosh, wow. I was always like how people are remembering.
Speaker 2: Steps because there's so.
Speaker 3: Many steps and choreography is really tough to remember and I was like, everyone's really doing that. That is really good, Like it's really hard.
Speaker 1: Does that mean that you will now? I mean, I've seen you live and you've always been quite amazing, but I just was so curious about whether or not this has given you some confidence into maybe incorporating more dancing in your live performances.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, I would absolutely love to do. I think now it's opened my whole mindset to a completely different style, so definitely. And I think now even when I went to afterwards filmed, I went to LA and I shot some footage for Itchy, and honestly, when I was doing so, it was like this routine that my choregrapher came up with. And usually I would be like, I'll do this part and then I'll step out for this step part and then I'll do this part, but I won't do that part.
Speaker 2: I was like, show me the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I can do the whole thing. It's really given me so much more confidence in dancing.
Speaker 1: And I think about, you know, all the comparisons that for Kylie Minogue, because we all did that when You're on X Factor, because we couldn't believe that we basically had two we had a hidden minogue this whole time, but she wasn't really a dancer when she started. You know, I think that we could see one of those big arena spectacular Samantha Jay performances. I think I'm up for that.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I'm up for that too.
Speaker 2: Let me know where tells.
Speaker 3: Me There.
Speaker 1: Everyone was talking about Sonya Krueger and doctor Chris Brown being like, you know, they were so fun together. There was some criticism about some of the bawdiness and the banter that they had. But I was wondering, did you guys even notice that? Because as well as I know Sonya, and I know her quite well, her sense of humor is quite cheeky. And to me, I wouldn't even notice that she was being bawdy with her humor. But what was it like on the dance floor? Were you guys all in stitches? How was the reaction?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Sonya is so brilliant at what she does. I am in awe. That is not an easy job. Like, she's just brilliant, and she's so funny, and she's so witty, and I think, listen, everything come in cheap.
Speaker 2: It's a performance. It's a performance. Show.
Speaker 3: It's about dancing, its art, and it's about theater and the theatrics of it all. That's what makes it so great. So I think the way they host the show and the way those jokes come about, and the wittiness, I think that's all part of it. You know, it's a performing arts show. So yeah, I think, like, don't take it too seriously, guys, it's all in good fun.
Speaker 1: I honestly was laughing so hard at some of them. I mean there were some moments that I was like, am I watching Channel seven and smack the TV?
Speaker 2: But I but I liked it.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Yes, how much of the judge's critiques help you improve in this competition? Because I love watching them because they add so much to this show. They've got big personalities and they offer you advice, etcetera, etcetera. But I'm wondering, never being a contest on the show, I wondered how much you actually listen to what they're saying and then incorporate that into your next performance.
Speaker 3: Oh, I definitely would definitely take it on. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, those judges are all professional dancers. They when they're speaking, it's from a place of realness and if I was judging a singing show, I'm a singer, like you know that you know the language, and so definitely, whenever they would give me any kind of criticism, I would take it on board. We would go in and we would rehearse harder, we would, you know, add things into the routine. I definitely, I was very grateful for all their feedback.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's kind of a nice balance when you're getting those different personalities there. My partner was like, was obsessed with Shina.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she is just gorgeous. First of all, she's so funny and gorgeous, and second of.
Speaker 2: All, such a great judge.
Speaker 3: It's like so articulate, always leaves with kindness as well, Like she's never mean, she's kind, but she still gives you constructive criticism.
Speaker 2: She's such a great judge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I'm obsessed with her. Would she be your favorite? I don't know who is your favorite? Who did you love getting the feedback?
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely, I think Shanna. Like she and also the look she was serving every week. I was like, absolutely to this glam like she's just stunning every week.
Speaker 1: I just want to go up and ask her whether she because she's now with Brian Austin Green from nine o two, or I just want to go and ask her questions about whether or not she just gets him to watch old episodes of nine o two or not. Oh my god, I do like DVD commentary, That's what I'd be doing. I mean, that's probably why be like.
Speaker 3: What what happened behind the scenes? Oh my god, I did the same.
Speaker 1: What was jenn and do Alerty really like you know all of those questions? Yes, I guess before you go, as I should ask you, like, what really surprised you? I think that's the probably what people want to know. What really surprised you the most about this competition?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: I guess For me on a personal level, I was so I was surprised I could do it. I truly in the very beginning was like, you know, oh god, I hope I can keep up. I hope I can do this because it's really not easy. And I think that that when I after the first week and I did it, I was like, okay, because you do rehearsal for ages. Once you get to the actual stage, that's and it really gets real, you know, because you're like, oh, my god, I can now there's an audience watching, there's judging that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm in the costume, there's the hair, like, there's all new elements.
Speaker 2: And once I got.
Speaker 3: There, I was like, oh wow, And I was really surprised with myself that I could dance.
Speaker 2: And I think it's a beautiful thing that.
Speaker 3: This show gives to people, Like this gives people a whole new credential, a whole new talent, you know that we can say, like, God, if I go to a wedding and they're doing boramancing, I'll be like, hey, I can.
Speaker 2: Jump up and do a bit of that, So get me a whole new skill to have.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've obviously had got this natural ability that's just been lying dormant. And I wonder whether or not because of the way in which singers no music and understand keeping in time. I wonder if that is a bit of an advantage and that is why you were able to dance I think, so much better than everybody, because you know, you've been keeping in rhythm with your music for so long. I wonder if then that does lend itself to being able to you know, memorize or remember how to do the step.
Speaker 3: Well, I definitely think, yeah, picking up wise because obviously you know picking up wise, I do that, you know, pick up Corey. And also yeah, I can hear the little rhythms and beats that maybe some people can't because that's what I do. So yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: Part of it for sure.
Speaker 1: What is something from behind the scenes? Can you tell us anything? Just like a behind the scenes secret that no one would know, Samantha Jade's behind the scene secret. Maybe it's a funny outdoate that happened.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I've got to think, what do I have for you?
Speaker 2: What do I have for you?
Speaker 3: I mean, the amount of red bullets behind the scenes is hilarious because we have to keep that in the juice up.
Speaker 2: How long is it?
Speaker 3: Actually?
Speaker 1: That's really good. That's interesting that you say that. I wonder because from doing television myself, it usually would take like whenever you get home, it takes a really long time to sort of decompress. How long, oh, it would it take to calm down from being on Dancing with the Stars before you can go to sleep at night?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, the calmdown is real, Like the egg or thing, and then you'd be like, I can't wait to go to bed, you know. And then you come home and your mind's just racing, and yeah, you've got the adrenaline and you're like, okay, I can't sleep. So I would come home and I would have a shower and I would have that like make it easy and sleep, Yes, I have that, yep, try and chill out my body, and then I would look at whatever. My next chance was watch the videos over and over and over again, and then I would get four hours weep and sell all over.
Speaker 1: You'd be thinking at this point, I'm so glad that it's all over and done with. But I'm assuming that they do an all stars version of the show, so we'll definitely get to see you come back and get the mirror ball at some point. That's my vision. That's my vision.
Speaker 2: Boys.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I love this.
Speaker 2: I love this vision.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, definitely, if they invited me back, I would say yet, for a second, I loved it. It was an experience that I will never forget. I truly loved it.
Speaker 1: Well, I just love chatting with you. I think that you've always been such a bright spark and someone's so fun to watch on anything that you do. Thank you for chatting with me. Thank you. I'm disappointed I didn't win. I'm actually, you know, very upset about it. But I write a note to the people in the HR department. It's channel seven. I'm only drinking. But no, you were fantastic and thank you.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you so nice.
Speaker 1: I built you nice to talk Yeah YouTube, enjoy chatting to the medium.
Speaker 2: Lots of Love by