Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey, sweety pies, it's flex and fruit flex and frooms.
Speaker 1: Do you know the other day I noticed this thing that.
Speaker 3: I don't want to call it tick, but I don't have the other I don't know another word for it. Maybe you can tell me potentially that my best friend does. So if I'm hanging out with her with if I'm hanging out with my best friend with other people, we do a twin thing a lot. We spend a lot of time together, so we speak really similarly. We have really similar ideas about the world. But this new thing that's popped up with her is if I say something in order to like to verbally show that she's agreeing with me, she'll repeat exactly what I said.
Speaker 1: But louder, let's practice. Tell me how your day was through me?
Speaker 4: My day was pretty good, but.
Speaker 1: No, it was like like so good, so good.
Speaker 4: And I'm pretty ready to have some Let's try this.
Speaker 1: What do you think about about crocs? What do you think about crocs?
Speaker 3: No, no, I'm telling I'm asking you a question. What do you think about crocs? In like in forwards about crocs?
Speaker 4: I'm kind of over them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm over there.
Speaker 3: My babes, do you have a fresh thought to contribute? Read the or And she'd be like, what, I'm doing it again. I'm like, yeah, babe, it's hard not to do. Like sometimes when I listen to podcasts, when you listen to the only podcast on your epertoire flex and rooms save like download top listeners zero point zero one percent.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get an email from Spotify.
Speaker 1: Here's a price pack.
Speaker 4: It is, like, it's not annoying, but it's I kind of prefer podcasts where like you'll say yeah, and I'll say yeah.
Speaker 1: It's kind of nicer.
Speaker 4: When I don't repeat what you're saying and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Just a little a.
Speaker 3: Little feedback for yourself. It's kind of nice when I actually contribute to the conversation. I don't know, it kind of hits different.
Speaker 4: No, enough enough, let's get into it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and forums. I'm Keita Flexie.
Speaker 4: It's time that I taught you a lesson for once and for all.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I came across this TikTok, which is about the origin of human language. Please produce a Brookie play the record.
Speaker 2: But just words, just words like how do we collectively decide that this is a ball? So if you want a specific answer, the reason why we call these bottles is because the Indo Europeans, an ancient ethnic group that spoke an ancestor of English, decided that the roots sound behech what was the best way to describe the concepts of a container for liquids? But if you're asking how early humans collectively decided that certain concepts should be described with certain sounds, then we're going to have to dive into the more speculative theories regarding the origins of human language. Now keep in mind this is well outside of my expertise as a historicalphologist. I study old languages, but not eighty thousand years old. I call these theories because we'll never know for sure. The origins of human language is still a very abstract field for us linguists. But my personal theory, which you should take with a grain of salt, is a rather simple one. And then it just sort of happened, much in the same way that a new slang comes about every now and then over the years. Like we look at this picture of hairless rats. All right, this is literally me, we look at this rat and we think, oh, yeah, that's scrungly does not have any sort of old English etymology. It just appeared out of nowhere, and that's where I think the majority of words came from. It really was just a simple matter of yeah, this is a this a tree. Yeah. I mean, let's not underestimate the intelligence of these early humans. They had just as much capacity for language as we do today, so they were probably coming up with numerous slang terms to describe a whole bunch of different concepts, just like we do today.
Speaker 3: I have my file fla distry that whole time I can't explain to you, like it started off with a freemy accent I think that was Scottish, and then it dved out into like this ironic kind of like mean, do you know what it reminded me of. I went to this ration on in Melbourne once Quick Caveat and this waiter we couldn't figure out if he was just like the worst person in the world, like rude and over arrogant, or he was like really kind and charming. And it was the most like discombobulating experience because we were on edge the whole time.
Speaker 1: And he knew it. He knew it.
Speaker 3: It's good to know where it's just like happened from anywhere, and I would like to know. I mean, I'm a big fan of making up my words and introducing ones that feel good. And I think we should do that more, because like we can, you can submit a word to the dictionary, right.
Speaker 4: Maybe I've never done it? Have you done it? Brookie?
Speaker 1: I think we need to submit flex and frioms.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well let's let's let's I mean, flex is a word.
Speaker 1: Flex is a word as well.
Speaker 3: We should make up a word and add it to our lexic kind of use it frequently enough.
Speaker 4: You know how to do that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, make up words all the time.
Speaker 4: It's sim language schnegeldorp, yeah, schnegel d'Or it's a feeling.
Speaker 3: Make a bird word the other day, no, the other like last year? What do we call like the X of your ex?
Speaker 1: Oh, like pernini more or something pristini Christina Moore? Whatever can we find out from? Josh?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Brookie?
Speaker 4: I want it?
Speaker 1: Thank you. I'm gonna make a well where is in me and Josh? Yeah, babe through me is like assistant director or something.
Speaker 4: I've got one dog a log.
Speaker 1: What's that mean?
Speaker 4: It's a catalog but for dogs, there's something there. Pet barn TM this immediately, I do not for.
Speaker 1: Free katas, flex and frooms, Flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: Turns out, age does in fact matter, and thirty is too old to go clubbing, well, at least in most parts of Korea.
Speaker 1: Listened to this. Bye, we just went to get into a pub in Korea and the Islamic nine thirty, next forty? What a file?
Speaker 4: Thirty thirty?
Speaker 1: We're too old to.
Speaker 2: Be in the club, I'd like translator, I went like this, Oh my god, like this.
Speaker 1: In case that was too hard for you to discern.
Speaker 3: Basically, these group of people try to go clubbing in Korea. When they get to the door, the door persons using Google Translate to gest to them that they are too old, and then so they go around and like, okay, well the youngest person in our group is thirty and the oldest person is forty, and granted they look like young, cool, fun their influencers, et cetera. But it's just too old for that club. And the age range is eighteen to twenty nine. So I'm thinking it's this like a widespread thing. Can you not go clubbing in Korea? Are we missing something? And so after some research, what I found out is that there's this district called home Day Hong Day, someone will correct me, and it's more strict on its age because's the college town. But other neighborhoods are more open to older people. Now more open does not feel like old people inclusive. That feels like you might get away with it if you're extra hot, but not for the regular. Someone was also saying that actually, now they think about it, all clubs should have twenty to twenty nine year old policies. You know, when you're too old to go and you're opted out, and people like it, Actually is a good idea to make thirty and older clubs because I will say, you know, I lost my best clubbing years to being a DJ. People think it's fun, it's actually quite lonely. You're the center of the party, but you're not part of the party at all. And so now I'm like got my second wind. I don't feel too old to go clubbing. But knowing that there are eighteen nineteen twenty year olds in there and I'm like about to be twenty nine, I'm thinking, should we really be engaging in close quarters like this is a little different.
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 4: I was planning on going to South Korea on holiday.
Speaker 3: I love the emphasis on South Korea.
Speaker 4: I'd been once before and I'd been clubbing there and it was it wasn't that young, I swear though. I got photos with men that were.
Speaker 1: Like forty photos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like like making memories, Yeah, making memories, making memories. South Korea is a vibe if you like going out. Like that alcohol that they drink, that al cahol that I drank was like table cleaner and it was so strong it was bleach. It was pretty much. And so that's such a shame because I wanted to go there for the party atmosphere.
Speaker 1: You've still got another year in you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But I mean, as we know, I'm either twenty or sixty, So I can't my ego can't handle the rejection of not getting into a club in South Korea and I've traveled from X amount of hours. Do I think that there should be age limits in clubs? I mean, I just hope that Like in Melbourne, there's definitely venues you go to where you know the Asias. In Sydney there is no such thing. We don't have the luxuries of particular clubs that are particular ages. So if you are a fan of clubbing, you know what I say, go down to Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Simple as that you're not blinking again. For me, it's not like rocking back and forth and not blinking.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, what's gone. I'm a bit triggered by this story out. It's a cry for help.
Speaker 3: Look, I think I agree. I feel like I think it's fair. It's a college district. It's nice to hang out with your age mates and have a good time, because there are very few things worse than like when you're in a clubbing environment having like an amazing time and somebody older and jaded is like, oh my goodness, is like why are you doing that? Why are you standing around? Why are you like yelling whiney or whatever, And it's like we're young and loose, babe, Like this is how we operate. Yes, I'm gonna take my shoes off and climb on the table and the sink, and you young people should be able to do that with this the scrutiny of an older person being like and even the novelty like I feel like some clubs for like an older demographic miss out on novelty. That's actually quite fun the jugs, like the fun little cocktails and like do a little Have you seen that shot where you take it and they like grab your head and they shake it.
Speaker 1: No funny, it's funny, but you can see shots.
Speaker 3: Sure, whatever it might be, I will say that I think we should start bringing in thirty plus clubs. I think it's a really safe thing to do. There's no need for thirty plus people to be interacting with eighteen year olds, and clubbing is saturated by eighteen year olds, nineteen year olds, twenty year olds, and you can't just tell how someone is by just looking at them, so separate and segregate fact.
Speaker 1: Thank you bring it back. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune Inticter on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.