Speaker 1: Come on Friday, Mitch and Laura. Today it's International Women's Day. What I want to say is, obviously it's great that we celebrate women, wonderful, but should we just be picking out one day to celebrate them. I might be the minority for that feeling, but I feel like men should have one day and women should be celebrated every day.
Speaker 2: And I am also here.
Speaker 3: You're irrelevant today because you're not a woman. You didn't even bring us cupcakes.
Speaker 4: Or anything, Mitch, not even.
Speaker 5: Radio station, do you know what.
Speaker 6: That's why International Women's Day has gotten a bit of a bad rap, and it's because often in a lot of workplaces, they sort of try and celebrate it, but they do it in a really benign way by bringing in cupcakes and maybe sticking a photo of someone on the fridge, being like, here's our female team, but we're so bad at them. But then don't do anything else throughout the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whilst we complain about that, I would still like the cupcake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it didn't come.
Speaker 2: To How many brands have reached out to you and asked you to do International Women's Day stuff?
Speaker 3: Not many.
Speaker 6: I think International Women's Day is evolving, and I do think that every year people are talking about it differently in terms of they're talking about the performative side of her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a little bit. It's vibe and so I just.
Speaker 3: Think it's changing a little bit.
Speaker 6: And I think about where we were three years ago talking about it to where we are now and how we feel about it, and that's definitely evolved.
Speaker 2: Speaking of powerful women, Libby Tricket is joining the show Breaststroke Superstar No One Can Breaststroke. Libby Tricket world record hold on gold medalist Olympian had a really interesting article go viral on Mumba about something that an adult friend of hers said to her child.
Speaker 5: It's actually a very good discussion to have. We're going to have it next here at the pickup.
Speaker 6: Now you all would have known about Australian's sweetheart egg. But she's an Olympian. But she's an ex swimmer. Libby Tricketts, Oh ye, incredible. She's won so many gold medals, she still holds records. She's truly amazing. And now she is a mum of four beautiful children and recently she wrote an article for Mama Mia around something that her eight year old experienced.
Speaker 3: And it really.
Speaker 6: I mean as a mum, it really struck me, but also just as a woman. It's something that I think everybody has been through at some point in their life, and that is conversations around your weight and especially as your body changes. Now, Libby's little girl is eight years old, and we have her on the phone, not the little girl.
Speaker 3: We have Libby on the phone to talk about it.
Speaker 5: Hi Libby, Hi Libby, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: Libby.
Speaker 4: What has happened?
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of dialogue between something that's gone down between some of your friends and something they said to your daughter.
Speaker 7: Basically what happened was I was in the kitchen area, just around the corner from where my daughter was with someone close to us, and they basically said to her, Oh, Poppy, you look like you've lost weight. You're looking fantastic. Your daughter lost right, Yeah, to my eight year old, like directly to her. And because I wasn't in the exact presence, but you know, was overhearing the conversation, I was just completely shocked to the point that I had no words. I felt really annoyed at myself that I didn't kind of call it out in the moment, but I actually think it was for the best because then I could pull Poppy aside later, try not to make too big a deal of it. And we just basically said, look, this is not how we talk about bodies. That's not what is valuable. What we care about as a family is that you know, we're moving our bodies, we're healthy, we're strong, and we're fueling it in the ways that is what is needed. She's eight years old, right, like, this is just so far from her brain and I.
Speaker 5: Shouldn't have to be living. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: It breaks my heart to think that she would. Then she could then go and look in the mirror and go, wait, am I bigger?
Speaker 5: Do I?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 5: I look fat?
Speaker 7: It is something that I think all of us have experienced on some level. I know my sister is in a larger body and has been most of her life and has recently lost a significant amount of weight, and she just is horrified by how much better she's treated now. And that's terrific. Like we shouldn't as a society, we shouldn't be doing that stuff. But it starts at eight years old when someone says something that seemingly on the surface is a compliment, right, it's something that is totally but we're saying that she looks great, you know, but that things that maybe she looks worse before, or you know, from the person's perspective, she looked worse before, and that can get internalized and there's insidious, little toxic comments becomes something that this never should have been anything.
Speaker 6: Do you think it's generational though, because you know, I think all of us are growing and we're raising our children in a more of a conscious way because we think about the things that we experienced as kids and whatnot. But it is sometimes the older generation. I don't want to stereotype, but that's where some of the negative comments can come from.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And you know, this person is of an older generation, and we spoke to them, right, and we had the conversation directly with them. We said, this isn't how we talk about bodies now. We don't talk about weight, we don't talk about, you know, how we look. We talk about being kind and funny and smart and hard working, and that's what is valuable, not what we look like. But you know, as a society, we still have a huge issue with looks and that being the value of someone's important.
Speaker 1: Were they okay with it once you explain it to them like your friend, they understand the problem and where they went wrong.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they actually responded really well and that washeartening, I think. But I also know that that is conditioning for them, because I then overheard them say something about someone else in another conversation. They're conditioned right that that's how they were brought up, that's what was valuable to them. And so I'm going to still be very conscious when these people are around us, because you know, it's hard to know that those behaviors will change immediately. I think over the long term it will change, but it's being conscious. You know about what is happening in our house and what my girls are exposed to, what Alfie my son is exposed to, and be open to having those conversations because I think the thing that we experienced is that it was just all swept under the rug. We wouldn't even approach it. We'll just kind of internalize it and get sad and completely different times.
Speaker 2: I went all the way ins with my mum when she was on white watches as a kid. That's what made me game. You were shocked when I came out. It's because I was with all the women going.
Speaker 5: Did you lose weight this week?
Speaker 4: Always game?
Speaker 5: All right, leave you Triggert.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 2: If you want to read that article, it's on momama dot com.
Speaker 5: Go to read thank you for coming on the pickup.
Speaker 7: We adore you my absolute pleasure. Guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, a completely different switch here. You know how I have this phobia of spiders. Yeah, okay, I have had the funniest encounter with the trade at my house, and I've realized that I'm not the only one.
Speaker 4: I gotta tell you about it after the break a right, that's next on the pickup.
Speaker 1: I'm proper scared spiders, like you are? You? Even thinking about it makes me vomit in my mouth. But you know, when you can picture one in your room, you spiders don't bother me.
Speaker 3: Really, I like them.
Speaker 6: I just think that they're pretty harmless unless you've got a trapdoor or something.
Speaker 3: Our house was for some reason.
Speaker 4: I pictured a doggy door where the spiders came in.
Speaker 3: I met a trapdoor spider. But yeah, no, they just don't bother me.
Speaker 1: Well, I have this thing right where I'm pitch fright of them. But I've always lived alone, so it's really hard. So when something happens with a spider, I have to deal with it on my own. I always wished, and I hate to say this out loud, especially on International Wednesday, but I always wish that I had a man around to do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Do you kill him or do you catch him in a jar and let him go out?
Speaker 2: She Ki does it, Mallet, she.
Speaker 5: Gets the list.
Speaker 3: She doesn't chop them, mark she does.
Speaker 4: She gets a pair of chicken. Sheers save them.
Speaker 3: I get a glass and I put a glass over it, a piece of paper. That's the way that.
Speaker 2: Okay, mother Teresa, all right, attack who has the time to get an aprey piece of paper and some clad glue?
Speaker 5: Grow up, grow up.
Speaker 3: Go get your trapped door.
Speaker 4: I I know.
Speaker 1: I try to save them when I can, But if they're in my bedroom and they're gonna get lost in my Douner cover or something, I'm sorry, but I have to kill.
Speaker 5: See that's where your brain goes. They're not going to get lost.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding? I woke up with a huntsman on my face. It's a huntsman. It's not gonna hurt you. It's like a cockroach.
Speaker 5: I actually have birds because they do they help.
Speaker 4: I won't even tell you my story.
Speaker 5: To help the birds.
Speaker 4: What was this spider?
Speaker 1: There was a spider that I have never seen before. And by that I don't mean he hasn't visited me before.
Speaker 3: I mean a.
Speaker 4: Type of spider I have never agreed.
Speaker 1: It was above my car I lived in under the ground garbage.
Speaker 5: By the way Britain, Hawaii with Zuckerberg.
Speaker 1: Anyway, above my car was this huge, mongous spider that I haven't seen before, like huge, and I'm talking about all these It looked dangerous, white stripes, red like like oh, it looked like if anything was going to eat me, this spider was going to And there was a bit of the web that was attached to my car, and a bit of the web was that was attached to the person's car next to me. So I knew that this spider had made plans to travel south to my car, and I was worried.
Speaker 3: He was fifty to fifty at this.
Speaker 1: Point, but I was worried he was going to get into my car and then I was going to die on the highway. So there's a tradesman that was like floating around my house, and I was like, oh, perfect. So I put a bit of a scar on and I went outside and I flattered my eyelids and I was like, excuse me, sir, and he was like yes.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, can I ask you the biggest favor I ever?
Speaker 4: And he's like sure, what is it?
Speaker 1: I was like, I just needed to help me with something in the garage and he was like, okay, sure, no worries. And I was like, it's a spider. He's like, what do you mean he's a spider. I said, there's a really big spider of my car, and I just I would just love.
Speaker 4: For you to get rid of it and help me out.
Speaker 1: And he goes, hang on a minute. He's like, how big is this spider? And I was like, well, it's pretty big. That's why I want you to help me. And I could tell that he was starting to drop nuggets a little bit, and I was like, oh no, this guy's not gonna help me.
Speaker 4: So I was like, just just follow me, come down.
Speaker 3: So I follow.
Speaker 4: So I took him to the garage, just trying this.
Speaker 1: He goes, oh, there is no way, I ain't touching nothing, and the big manly Trady refused to save me from this spike.
Speaker 4: He was scared of me, A big manly trading was scared of it.
Speaker 6: I don't think that just because you're a man means that you have the You know that you have the bravery to go up against the spider.
Speaker 3: So similarly against it, you were scared.
Speaker 6: But I think it's it's unfair to expect it just because someone's a man, that they will be less scared than you. And I say this because a very similar thing happened to me recently. We've got like a we have like the world's dumbest little spar, like a nineties spar in our backyard, and we had a guy come over and clean it.
Speaker 3: He had to pull the lid off its. The whole thing was green inside, disgusting.
Speaker 6: Anyway, he pulls a lid off it and there was this humongous huntsman. I'm talking like the whole like think about the top.
Speaker 3: Of a coffee mug. Like it was huge. And he pulled the lid off and he ran and screamed.
Speaker 6: Down my backyard. This was a four grown burly man screaming.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I love Spiders are the one things that do me over and I was like, okay, I'll go get it. It start to walk in soid I get a piece of paper from the craft box and a cup and I'm then I had to rescue it.
Speaker 2: I feel like everyone has a little phobia that it would surprise them, you know, like spiders. I'm not worried about spiders at all, but a magpie, I will not look them in the eye.
Speaker 5: Those things. Don't trust magpie. Don't trust.
Speaker 4: You're not supposed to turn you back on a magpie. That's when they get he.
Speaker 5: Never had a good conversation with a magpie.
Speaker 3: My my deep phobia is you eating ingum in the studio?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: If I eat chewing gum, that sets Laura a light. Thirteen one oh six five. What's your phobia? What's going on in your life that we could help cue you for? Maybe we can help you.
Speaker 4: You get some unique phobias.
Speaker 2: I want to phobias that we go no way, you're scared of that? Yeah, shock phobias. Yeah, all right, calls here at the pick up. If you're just tuning into the show, maybe tune out.
Speaker 3: Don't tune out, don't change it. We're about to.
Speaker 4: Get to the bottom of like the biggest weirdest phobias.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Britt is terrified of spiders and have one in her subterranean palace that no one would.
Speaker 3: Help me with.
Speaker 6: Yes, And also I think that there is a misconception that men should be braver when it comes to spiders. I think it doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl, whatever's going on. If you're scared of spiders, you scared of spiders totally, Jesse, Are you scared of spiders? Tell us what you're scared of.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I hate spiders, but I'm actually petrified of cock croaches.
Speaker 6: I hate them to hurt you, though, what are they going to notice that?
Speaker 7: I think it's because they're quick. They're really quick, and they you.
Speaker 8: Recently I discovered they can fly at you, and that's just oh beside myself.
Speaker 3: Apparently, surprisingly, they're quite clean. They're really clean.
Speaker 7: Which is currently they're only attracted to clean houses. But I feel I don't like them, like.
Speaker 8: I'm getting the heavy geebies and like the sweats.
Speaker 7: Just talking.
Speaker 8: There's something now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something about the fact that they can withstand a nuclear bomb that just is really because you can smash them with a R M. Williams boot all you want, but no, those things are living us. Hey, Maddie, are you phobia by what?
Speaker 7: I'm a phobia of tsunamis.
Speaker 3: Where I have a phobia quicksand but I think we've been lied to.
Speaker 5: Okay, So why is scared? What's what's caused this?
Speaker 7: Well, when I was six years old, went to Thailand on a family holiday and Mum and.
Speaker 8: Dad thought it'd be just a fabulous idea to buy the Thailand tsunami documentary.
Speaker 3: Ah, it's terrizing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so six years old, we watched the documentary in the Thailand hotel and ever since has been absolutely petrified.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I thought.
Speaker 7: Them the Pean River, We're going to have a pin river possible.
Speaker 6: No's terrorizing your children. Don't take them on a holiday and then show them the worst thing that's happened.
Speaker 2: I guess the good thing Mattie though, is it soon? I'm as you get warning because it's normally there's an earthquake that tsunami.
Speaker 5: You're never going to get a random tsunami.
Speaker 1: Yes you can, because sometimes the earthquakes are so minute that you don't feel them.
Speaker 4: Surprised.
Speaker 7: That makes me feel so much better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, great job, Britt, Then call up and we'll help you with your fears.
Speaker 3: Were actually could happen anywhere?
Speaker 2: Amy?
Speaker 5: On thirteen one or six five? What's your weird phobia?
Speaker 7: Horses?
Speaker 3: The majestic and beautiful?
Speaker 5: Do you have a bad experience?
Speaker 8: Absolutely not majestic and beautiful?
Speaker 7: In my eyes, they are terrifying.
Speaker 3: What what about them? Like? Did you did something happen? Was there? Did you fall of a horse? Get kicked by a horse?
Speaker 7: Laura?
Speaker 8: We went to the same high schools that Mary's. Oh, no way. I don't know if you remember the year seven I think it was year seven camp. There was some sort of farm involved and we had to go horse writing.
Speaker 3: Yes, one hundred percent, I remember this, clears it. Wait, we're in the same year in years.
Speaker 8: I was a couple of years below you.
Speaker 3: Okay, what was she like at school?
Speaker 2: I was always in trouble, So you had the same horse experiences, Amy.
Speaker 3: It's like part of like school camp. You would go and there was it's like.
Speaker 8: A trail ride and I remember saying to the teacher, I don't want to do that, and they were like, no, get on the horse, and I boiled my eyes out. The whole time, because I just we're so terrified of this thing, and it was probably just this poor little I don't know.
Speaker 6: Probably probably were girls who are mean off the back of it as well.
Speaker 5: You can catch up privately. That's good for you too, But everyone else, I.
Speaker 3: Have an update.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was also doing some googling while you're talking. In six days time, on March fourteen, there is actually a day dedicated to spiders. There's a Spider Day National Spider It's called Save a Spider Day, and it is to help reduce a rachnophobia or the fear of spiders and help conserve spiders.
Speaker 6: So Saturday it is for you, so that we can start saving the spiders with a little cup and a piece of paper.
Speaker 4: There really is a day for everything.
Speaker 5: Is Also we have one last called Buttercup. Is called butter Cup on thirty one O six five.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 6: The only thing I want to say about that brick. Going back to the one day of spiders, I think we're.
Speaker 5: Done with it.
Speaker 3: Okay, what.
Speaker 5: Is there anyone that wants?
Speaker 6: Why do the spiders get as much time as women International Women's Day and the spiders get it?
Speaker 1: Interational spidermales to Laura.
Speaker 5: And they have eight babies at a time, so consider so lucky eight babies. All right, we're going to go now, maybe for the last time ever. Goodbye, see you guys.