Speaker 1: I guess we're on We're doing this, you're starting, Yeah, this is starting right now. So my name's Gordy. I don't know how I introduced Paul Marrick. A motoring journalist, a local heart throb, former child star.
Speaker 2: All of those things are true.
Speaker 1: All of those things are co founder, car expert, dot com dot a YouTube star sensation. Have you started a TikTok account yet?
Speaker 2: I have. It's the most depressing thing.
Speaker 3: And I actually got in trouble from my wife when I was on TikTok because, as far as I was aware, it was just young girls dancing, and there is still a lot of that on there, but it's now become a car thing as well. So I had to explain to her that, nad, I'm doing this for the cars, not for the young girls dancing.
Speaker 1: That's true. I did see you like doing the fluss in front of our concept car. That was odd. Why were you skipping? What were the rollerblades for? It's good to hang out, man, because we've been wanting to do this for a little bit and we're finally doing this. I guess it's just kind of a podcast from an expert and an enthusiast we're both sort of into cars, and I guess that's where this kind of stem from. Ryan. That's it.
Speaker 3: And look, with all of these podcasts right like, these are all built off people's feedback. So if you do have feedback, please do get in touch with us, because you know, we want to tailor this for whatever you want to hear.
Speaker 2: I love my cars.
Speaker 3: I could literally talk about them for hours and hours and hours, and I know that you love your cars as well, So I think we're going to find this nice middle ground where you know, I know all the ins and outs and you know all the you know.
Speaker 1: I know nothing, I know zero things like hey, that look's pretty, let's drive that fast exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can ask all those sort of questions.
Speaker 1: Fun and if you do want to see Paul flossing in front of a concept car, we can do that, So that'll be fine. I do want to talk about some news that dropped through this week. One was an interesting thing that came through from Audi, a bit of a claim saying that they're electric cars they think will be pretty much selling as hard as petrol driven cars in the next two to three years. I don't know about you, but when I read that that blew my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was in the same boat.
Speaker 3: So a lot of car companies are scared about electric cars because they are expensive to produce. At the moment, the bulk of the cost in an electric car is in the batteries, and batteries are expensive to mine the materials and then to create battery. Technology is constantly evolving, but at the moment it is expensive. So Audi has come out and said that they will be as profitable in the EV sector as they are with their petrol vehicles by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: And the reason they can get.
Speaker 3: Away with this is Audi, for those that don't know, as part of the Volkswagen Group, and they share what they call platforms. Platform is basically just a chassis beneath the skin of the car, and it would surprise a lot of people that there are so many cars out there that share these platforms. And what Volkswagen is able to do is say, okay, well we've got this electric pack. This will fit in an Audi, a Volkswagen, it will fit in a skull, say it, and it will later fit in a Lamborghini of some sort. So by putting money into the R and D just for that platform, they can then roll it out with a different skin on the outside, and then Bob's your uncle. You've got profitability by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, isn't it. I mean, with electric car popularity in this country. I know that the federal government's pumped in a lot of money recently, and you'd kind of hope so because at the moment, I just don't think we're that well equipped for electric cars.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they have pumped it in, but not every state government has pumped it in. So Victoria, for example, they've done a little bit of pumping. They've got like a bicycle pump, and.
Speaker 1: It's not really just done a bit of slab pumping.
Speaker 2: Someone else can do all the work exactly right.
Speaker 3: So the problem is, like I own a Tesla, I now have to pay per kilometer for my car, so every kilometer I drive I have to pay a tax to the government. So that kind of doesn't really incentivize people to get into electric cars at the moment, unfortunately. But New South Wales is doing the right thing, and it's hope the rest of or even just the federal government, if they maybe did something that'd be nice as well.
Speaker 1: Paul will always tell you he's got a Tesla in the first five minutes of meeting him.
Speaker 2: That's true. Hey, by the way, how's the family. Did you hear? I've got a Tesla and I'm vegan. Not just kidding, I'm definitely not vegan.
Speaker 1: Tesla, How long have you been driving that Tesla for now?
Speaker 2: It's almost two years now, and I've got to say I like it.
Speaker 3: I love the tech in it. I hate Tesla. Oh, actually, let me rephrase that. I don't hate Tesla people. I just hate Tesla fanatics because if I point out anything that's crap about my car, and there are a few things I am suddenly shot down in flames, like build quality. They'll tell me that I should be grateful that I have a car that is so high tech, and I'm like, I'd also be grateful if the panel's matched up as well.
Speaker 2: You know, that'd be nice.
Speaker 1: You should feel privileged that you get to drive in the spawn of elon mask exactly with a Tesla. I can't at this point. I'm yet to be one hundred percent convinced because it's kind of like white on the outside, it's wide in the inside, and you get this big sort of iPad looking thing. It just looks a little sterile. It looks like where I go to get my STD checks. It's just sort of it's very hospital you know. It does go fast, so that's a plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. Look, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I know, it's a sterile car, but I love the fact that it is so damn quick, and I love the fact that I get updates every like two or three weeks. I'll get new features. So this week it was Disney Plus has come to it. And because I've got a new daughter and she'll want to watch annoying things, I now have Disney Puk Plus.
Speaker 2: So that's a good thing I've seen.
Speaker 1: So what does that mean? You can watch Disney Plus on the big set thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got Netflix on there. I've got YouTube so I can watch my reviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you watch yourself. Hey, what's going on with land Cruiser? This is an interesting one because if you've spilt a lot of money on a land cruiser in the last couple of weeks, I don't think you're going to be happy.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: The new land Cruise of the three hundred series as they call it, has been on the cards for a little while now, and we had in Australia the record sales of the previous gen the two hundred series, a couple of months ago. And that's a car on a platform that's around ten or eleven years old now, so it is ancient in the grand scheme of things, and it surprised me that so many people rushed out to buy the old one. Well, if you have an order on a new one, Toyota has just come out and said that they are delayed indefinitely because there is a massive, massive parts shortage in Japan with Toyota, and the three hundred series is one of the biggest hit what Toyota did at the start of COVID in in fact, pre COVID actually had business continuity plans in place for parts, so they said, if there was a world disaster, there was another flood or something like that, we can run this business for six to twelve months using our stockpile. Well that was all going great until COVID kept going and didn't stop. And Japan is now in the midst of another COVID wave, and as it stands, they are now out of that business continuity plan and the cars are all stuff suffering. So there's delays on RAP four, Lancrus High Lux, everything is delayed, So it'll.
Speaker 2: Be interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 3: If you have an order for a three hundred series, you would have been expecting delivery from October this year, twenty twenty one. It now looks like that is going to be significantly delayed a year or more.
Speaker 1: This includes the great chip shortage as well, too, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean we're seeing, for example, Ford is delivering some of their most popular cars, like the f one to fifty without infotainment systems. So they're saying to customers, do you want the car.
Speaker 2: Now without a radio or do you want to wait.
Speaker 3: Six months until we get this tiny little chip that's stopping it from being complete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not just the radio either, that's like parking sensors. That's all the tech on the cars too, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like all of these components have these semiconductors and all the little chips they need to actually operate. So we're in a world now where you know, this is going to be a big problem for some time to come. So if you are buying a new car, you're going to be waiting. And if you want to buy a used one. The price of those are up by about thirty or forty percent.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Huge.
Speaker 1: Something I wanted to bring up was you posted this on the Facebook and that was the video was a couple of kids test driving a Tesla and driving it at just crazy as speeds to the point where they crash into a building. It's you get some satisfaction out of watching that, I'll be honest, but I guess it raises a pretty important question that can people who were buying essentially like normal cars with supercar hypercar capabilities? Should that be allowed?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, the video was interesting because it was by Rich Vlogs, and Rich in his previous videos I checked out his YouTube channel before he very smartly shut it down. He would do things like borrow cars from a dealership, drive them like a maniac around Florida, return them to the dealership broken, and then just go home. And his latest video, which, okay, fair enough, if this happens and you've videoed it and you know you've crashed into a bil in the Tesla that you've just borrowed, don't then post the video to YouTube, like just maybe you don't do that.
Speaker 2: So that's what he did.
Speaker 3: And he was doing by my guest, and at probably one hundred and fifty hundred and sixty in an alleyway in an industrial area, he clipped basically like a steel grate that caused the car to get airborne. Yeah, and he noticed that at that speed you're doing maybe fifty meters per second. He noticed that he needs to slow down before he reaches the intersection. But cars that don't have tires on the ground don't slow down often. And he basically sent this thing into a building. And it was just the most mystifying thing, and it brings around the question should regardless of this this idiot, should people that buy this hundred thousand dollars car have access to performance that is available on literally a half a million dollar Ferrari.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting one because I mean, effectively you can walk into a Ferrari dealership and do the same sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can also with an room to one hundred and sixty in a Corolla and send it into a building. But the thing is with electric cars, it is instant talk and acceleration, and at least with the Ferrari, you kind of limit access to it by making it expensive, making it in practical whereas with a Tesla suv it's kind of a car that anyone could own. And you just look at how quick these things go and how some people drive in our roads at the moment in cars that aren't that quick, and it just concerns me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think they could regulate that right now. I don't think they could say, hey, here's your brain new car. By the way, it only goes up to one hundred and twenty en where like I think the capabilities that it has, I think this is probably a reality moving forward.
Speaker 2: I think it's just going to happen. Yeah, well, look you say that the regulation thing.
Speaker 3: Volvo has actually come out and said that every new car they produce will actually be speed limited to one eighty. And it's interesting because in Australia you think, oh, that's no big deal, we can only do one hundred and ten hundred and thirty depending on where you are, But in Germany, if you've driven on an autobarn on the derestricted section, you will have Volkswagen caddy vans doing two hundred because it's just what you do over there. So a lot of people have come out in opposition to this because they're like, well, it's my car. I want to go as fast as I want. But Volvo is saying, well, you don't need to go that fast, and we're engineering it so that if you have a crash at one hundred and eighty, you're going to survive.
Speaker 2: So it is interesting and I think that more of them will move to this.
Speaker 3: You do have valet mode and a couple of other features in teslas to prevent idiots doing what these guys did, but ultimately, I think that anyone who wants to do something stupid will do it stupid regards of the car that they're in.
Speaker 1: All right, GV seventy review time. There's four models that the GV seventy to choose from, with two option packs available. The range starts with the two point five leads to turbo with sixty six thousan four hundred. The two point five all will drive at sixty eight eight hundred, the two point two liter diesel for seventy one thousand, eight hundred, or the top of the range of V six three point five liters to turbo at eighty three thousand, four hundred. The options pack start at four and a half thousand, raging up to thirteen K depending on what combo and what model you choose. You know, I'm really in terms of Hyundai Kia Genesis, I'm really genuinely excited what these guys, well, you know what this company's doing, especially Genesis. I really like I've been excited about the GV seventeen eighty for a long time and when I saw them, they're beautiful cars. It's a weird thing, which I think we'll probably talk about in a second. It's a weird thing with their marketing because I feel like that's kind of nonexistent.
Speaker 2: I know, well, that's the thing. You think Genesis and I don't know.
Speaker 3: My memories of Genesis were the higher cars you would get to and from the airport, right, They were sort of just you know, they weren't really the best thing in the world. And the new Genesis, this revived Genesis, is all about taking it up a notch, bringing the luxury in and really just pushing it to another level. What do you think of when you think of Genesis, I'm curious, Ah, what pops into mind?
Speaker 1: Well, I think of a hot genuinely, I kind of evokes a hell of a lot of luxury car brands mushed into one. I think the obvious one is obviously Bentley. Yes, with the logo, which I like. The logo you could sort of look at the back and you could sort of say Mercedes a little bit, ye, I mean the car, and so you could argue that it's a little bit of a patchwork. But I think the whole sort of brand in itself, is it genuinely evokes like a luxury brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what they're trying to go for.
Speaker 3: And for me, when well, the GV eighty look, I enjoyed it, but I thought that it was just a little too far. Like the steering wheel I thought was weird, and it just sort of it didn't really feel cohesive. But the GV seventy, this is just in a whole other league. And I drove this thing, and I'm like, I want to buy one, Like I really really want to buy one. And we drove the three and a half fleet of twin turbov six with all wheel drive and the luxury pack. So that was priced around ninety thousand dollars. And when you think ninety thousand dollars, this goes head to head with things like the BMWX three, the Mercedes Benz GLC. The OutQ five, ninety thousand dollars in those doesn't really get you a whole lot.
Speaker 1: So no, I was gonna say very much out of Q five. Yeah, for the price that this Genesis is doing, you wouldn't even touch the sides with these cars.
Speaker 2: No, and look like some of the cool features.
Speaker 3: They have eighteen way power adjusted driver's seat with massage, so we'll literally massage w you're in the seat.
Speaker 2: You've got a.
Speaker 3: Fingerprint sensor to start the car so you don't have to have the key with you. The engine itself is an absolute ripper, so it's based off the engine out of the key of stingers, so it has heaps of punch. It really hammers hard with your will drive system. You have an impressive amount of traction as well, so it is just an all round really nice package. My question is, though, if I was to say to you tomorrow, Okay, you've got ninety grand to spend, do you want to get a GV seventy or do you want to get one of the mainstreams? What goes into your mind when you think of resale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think that these are going to reseal well at this stage, simply because nobody knows they exist. I honestly, at this point in time, think that Genesis is a car enthusiast brand like that. Who knows about it is the car dude, the car people.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I don't think someone from Tuak or whatever looking for a nice SUV is going to go I might get that Genesis. I just in that voice too. I might get that Genesis.
Speaker 2: Ah. But that's true, right, And that's the problem.
Speaker 3: And for me, the thing that stopped me from going, Okay, let's just buy one is I just don't know what it's going to be worth in two years time. Okay, so obviously if you buy a BMW not great at resale either, but I know roughly how hard I'm going to get hit with it.
Speaker 2: Whereas this it could be better than the BMW, could be worse than the BMW.
Speaker 3: There really is no knowing how bad it's going to cost me at the end of this. So that's my only concern with Genesis that yes, the car is fantastic to get, drives beautifully, it really is very luxuriously presented inside the cabin, but ultimately, how much is going to be worth will I be hit hard with it. I think they're working on a guaranteed future resale value program, which which is music to my years because it means that in five years time, I know exactly how much it's worth. Because on the servicing front, it comes with five years of free servicing, so it's not going to cost you anything to maintain for five years.
Speaker 2: So all of those boxes are ticked. It's just how much will it cost me?
Speaker 1: That's all I think A lot of the time with these luxury car brands too, is their status behind those and there's also people that there's brand loyalty as well, you know, and these guys just have sort of put it out there, but not it's just such a it's just a sort of a back room club almost. It's like, what are you guys doing? You should be telling everyone about that you've actually come up with a fantastic luxury car. There is as you said, it's got a brilliant engine in them, the features in it are completely high and the interior in it is stunning. You can't fault it. But you kind of want the world's I get if you're going to put that sort of money towards it. I reckon Generally people would want other people to know. I'd rather Genesis, but I don't think at this point they've got that brand awareness.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Currently, the biggest bit of marketing they've done was when Tiger Woods rolled one down a cliff.
Speaker 1: I don't think Tiger Woods rolling one down a cliff is.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's just so strange that that is the most I've heard about Genesis because it literally had the stickers on the side of it. And in Australia, I've just not seen any marketing. They do a Tesla style thing where they have like these showroom type places. They do the concierge thing where they'll pick up your car for servicing and return it.
Speaker 2: And all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: But I just don't hear anything about them. So maybe they're waiting for COVID to blow over a little bit. But ultimately, for a brand new brand, I would be shouting this from the rooftops and not just be relying on you and I to talk about this to market your brand.
Speaker 1: God, I wish that was a marketing strategy. There's though, like someone's in the boardroom going we will put the greatest golfer on the planet in one of these, and we will harm his legs. Sorry GB eight, that's so bad, But yeah it is. It really is a beautiful car, though, right, What do you think their plan should be going forward with this car? Look?
Speaker 3: I think getting it in front of as many people as possible and not influencers.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 3: I get the influencer thing, but ultimately, when I see an influencer marketing a luxury vehicle like this, I don't take it seriously at all because I know that had they they probably don't have enough money to buy one because they just everything that's too busy influencing.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: They really need to put this in the hands of people that are going to be able to talk well about it. A good example is Eddie Maguire, right, he when he was the I know nothing about AFL by the way, so some of this may not be true. But when he was in charge of or whatever he's seen your role was at Collingwood, If that.
Speaker 1: Was he was president of a Collingwood football club, I believe And I think you're going with the Lexus pathway here, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because Holden took over sponsorship of that brand and the stadium and all that sort of stuff. But he stayed in Alexis and he's the type of guy that you want driving around and being seen in a Lexus. And this is what they need. They need someone like that in a Genesis and I think that will really sort of do well for their image.
Speaker 2: SUVSA all the rage at the moment.
Speaker 3: The longer you leave it, the older this vehicle becomes, and the less relevant it is. Now's the time to really be singing it from the rooftops. And if everyone's having supply issues at the moment and you're a brand new brand that isn't selling many cars, hey let's market it. Now's the time to do it because everyone needs something to buy and they can't buy an X three the.
Speaker 1: Three point five in this Do you think it makes it quick as it needs to go? Are you happy with with how this is driving?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. It is bloody fast.
Speaker 3: So we do a lot of our testing at the former hold and proving ground at lang Lang and they have what's called a ride in handling loop there that is it's it's a it's a weird road.
Speaker 2: It sort of mimics a country road in parts.
Speaker 3: There's tram tracks on part of it, but it's a road where you can go properly quick, and in this we were going properly quick. And it is It is a vehicle that feels confident at speed and it's not something that you would expect when you see it from the outside. So for the average person that isn't going to take this down a road like that, if you find yourself on a mountain pass or some other fun road like that, you are going to put a big smile on your face. It is a real biased or wheel drive system, so it feels spawty, it feels engaging, and it has a mega amount of punch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon it's worth shelling out the extra with this, with the like the sports pack and the paint as well, it can look really good in a in a darker sort of color and with the with the black real I think it's definitely worth shelling out for the for the extras with this. Yeah, they are sort of like a Stinger and a Tucks in a lot of ways, but they do look aggressive if you really sort of go for that angle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can even get it with Matt paint. And I think Matt paint in the right color and it's a two thousand dollars option, so it is cheap compared to what you pay for Matt paint. With most other eurobrands, you can have a sensational looking car that someone would genuinely look at and assume you paid one hundred and fifty two hundred grand for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife knows nothing about cars at all, and that was one of the cars that she pointed out. She thought, what is that?
Speaker 2: That is that a Bentley? What is that? It's like a Bentley from Wish.
Speaker 1: Let's welcome Shane Jacobson to the party. Man is a brand of a floor from one of you all won't give you anything. He's been in a bitchy little mood all day.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest, if that was the truth, it would be at first because he's known to be one of the most delightful people in motorsport and anyone else's listening that makes you a preck.
Speaker 1: Hey man, it's so good to have you on this and welcome Top one and we're grateful you're here. And first of all, congrats on your podcast The Grill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks man. Yeah, we've been we're in too, sort of only the second now, so we had you know, pretty Lucky in at one that Jeremy Clarkson's Who's a Made of Mine agreed to come on, and then we got Mick doing to Pep two. So it's a big shoot film now moving forward. It's that terrifying thing when you know you go big early, you've got to stay big longer.
Speaker 1: Okay, you've promoted your own podcast enough, that's okay for now.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thanks for having me on. Guy.
Speaker 1: Do you know one of the cool things I reckon about zoom chats? As frustrating as they are, because you know, you want to sort of connect with people in the studio, but I think one of the cool things is you get to see a little bit of a snapshot of people's lives and and your office is kind of like my my dream bedroom I've got.
Speaker 4: There's a there's a lot of zooms I do where people look in the background and I think they think I'm in one of my kids, and I have to explain no, no. My office is filled with you know, what other people would call toy cars. But you know, for those who are listening, what you can't see is here I have a batmobile, which is like a one meter long Batmobile, which is now a sort of a bit of collector's item. But yeah, there's an eh Old there and h J. Kingswood because I actually have have those in my own car collection. And there's a Brockie Manaro CB eight Monaro, which is I drove the mock up of that at Targets has He this year and that's the model of it, which which was signed by Peter Brock before we lost him. So yeah, and a plus five there's a hr there and anyway, I've got toy cars over his place, sound real cars hidden.
Speaker 2: In chads, Yeah, which we're going to talk about in a second.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask, though people know you from various platforms, I guess Top Care Australia and and all that, but where did this start from you Because for a lot of people it was like, there's the guy from Kenny and then sort of slowly you became in the realm of a bit of a massive car enthusiast.
Speaker 4: So I look, I think, like most of us who are car enthusiasts, I don't think you know when the disease starts. And even if it was a disease, let's be honest, none of us are looking for the cure. So my parents weren't into cars at all. They are necessary evil for them. My brother couldn't give a toss. He wouldn't know what car he was driving. My sisters have no interest in them. They just want them to be safe. So there's actually no one in my immediate family there, uncles included, that really cared about cars. I've just always seen them as a moving piece of art. I love what they do mechanically. I love the way they look, I love the way they sound. I loved driving them. I love racing them. I love cruising in them. I love dragging them. You know. I just love a thing about them and two or four wheels. And to be honest, if it moves back and forward, I'm probably gonna love it. You know. I've got a license for of forklifts, lit boomlift, bus, semi trailer, heavy ridge and motorbike car everything. If it moves, I just want to be part of it. And again I don't I remember the first car I fell in love with, which is why the first car I got in my sort of collection was an eh old because I was a kid sitting outside of supermarket and I gosh, I would have made me been eight or seven. I was on a BMX, just hanging out at the shop seeing the potato cake, probably with a couple of mates and a candy Apple read eh with center lines and a four hundred SHEV with dumb pipes coming out the back of it just rumbled into the car park really slowly, but shook every window on the supermarket, and I was intantly in love. It was like you know those scenes in movies when people see Christy Brinkley, Well that for me, it was all the things I were attracted to were made of metal, not of skin. And I've said a million times the first celebrities I was desperate to meet were all cars. It was the XB coop out of Mad Max. It was Ferrari three, Wait at a Magnum Pi, and the list goes on, Shelby Cobra out of the Cannibal Run, all those in a Gumball rally, like everything that I was, even the truck out of b J McCain and his best friend there. Like everything I loved that I thought was a superstar or something I aspired to be in or near was a car or a vehicle or some sort. And it's just been like that's forever.
Speaker 3: Well, mate, tell me, you know, we're both huge fans of Australian cars. Runners through what you've got in your garage at the moment that has an Aussie car badge.
Speaker 4: On it, So nineteen sixty four, e h holden. I've got a h J. Kingswood that I drove with Paul Hogan and a film called Charlian Boots that lives at the Whole Museum in a tutor. I've got a HQ UT that's regio plate is Noisy Q and it's called that for a reason. So it's it's got a VS three or four motor in it, it's got a it's got a Ford nine inch wheel, know why they've got it right? And so yeah, that thing, that thing's pretty well sort of customs stainless skill tren twin exhaust systems. So that one's my bag, Gil, if you will. I have a VSUTH which has done up as a rally you so for club dirt meat. So I've actually got a VSU that literally Petter's got that and kind of spent a bit of time underneath it getting it rigid, and that's got a customer exhausted system that's inconceivable that I've got it registered. So there's my hold and bad stuff. And as I said, I've got a bit d but I've also got a Morris eleven hundred and I've got I've just bort a nineteen sixty three pull handle MG that and my wife went through a cruising yesterday through the mount So I've got some old Tardi bits as well. Mate.
Speaker 2: That is fantastic. And what do you think at the moment buying anything at.
Speaker 3: The moment with a Holden or forward badge on, it is criminally expensive.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Do you reckon people are buying it because they really want these cars or because they're going to make a quick buck out of them.
Speaker 4: I think it's a bit of everything. But I think what we know is I mean seeing some of the prices, Malu Youth does like literally does my brain. But I think what it is is and we know you know the cars, you know that the second hand car market, I mean COVID's caused a lot of it and stuff coming, you know, the chips drawing up and all that kind of stuff. And I don't have to tell anyone listening to this as men who go to pubs. I hate waiting for chips, let alone cars because let alone cars because of them. But a lot of people, our age, I'll just say, our age, who have a little bit of access to money, A lot of these cars are the ones we want. Of these kids, There's no way my kids are going to pay a million dollars for a GDHR. They don't care. In fact, if someone turns up to the GDHO when my kids have that kind of money, which I don't had that kind of money. But in fifteen years time, the twenty yeth time, if someone turns up to my kids and offers them the GDHO for one hundred grand less than they paid for it a year ago, there's no way my kids are buying MAP. But our my generation, who look at those cars like you know, HR wasn't EH's mind EJ not. I don't like the round of back end HR. I've got a bit of a thing for like we've all as we know, our taste is so particular. But now I've got to the point I'm looking at HR's going maybe I should grab one, because it's like a cousin's going to leave the party forever. So idiots like me drive those prices up. But by the same token, you know, I've got a Sahara. A Lanka is a Sahara I just brought like six months ago, eight months ago, And at one point I could have sold that, put fifty grand profit in my pocket and then got the money to buy the new one that's coming out. I mean, it's insanity, but look, I don't think it'll last for ever. I think our generation love these cars. We've driven the price up. COVID hasn't helped, but they just can't keep going as this trajectory because the generations below us just don't care about it. They want a Tesla.
Speaker 1: If you were to say sort of ten years ago, Holdens weren't going to exist, you kind of go, yeah, no, I don't. I don't believe you. And now we're in a kind of a climber where it's like we want something that we essentially can't have.
Speaker 4: There is an ad yesterday. Yesterday I said to my wife that's one of the saddest ads I've seen for a while. And it's a road sort of a road traffic ad about road safety, a TAC commercial, you know, about concentrating while you're driving, and in the ad. You see the car go past a stationary police car and it's a BMW. When I went, now, even our safety ads don't have an Australian car with a policeman in them, and I'm like, it's so done. We know it's done, we know they're gone. But it was like another nile in an already sealed coffin when we're looking at a German manufactured car with an Australian policeman in it, ready to book us in an AD and I went, God, I don't know why it's stung so much seeing in an AD because then I'm like, well, now it doesn't even exist on our TV sets unless you're watching Matt Locke Police or something.
Speaker 3: Because it's a one hundred and twenty thousand dollars car with heated seats and they're driving.
Speaker 1: Around in.
Speaker 4: That also annoysment. Can we pause? Sorry, I had to do one thing, got to get my kids to go and get the tools in because it's absolutely bucketing.
Speaker 1: I knew he wouldn't be comfortable with this question. I knew it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love you.
Speaker 1: That's Shane Jacobson right now, currently yelling at his children to get back to homeschooling.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love those toys. I could. I could never have in my house stuff like that. I would never let me.
Speaker 1: It looks like he has some sort of diploma on the wall too. Sure it was purchased off Amazon or something like that, but still it looks like a funky doctor's office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not even like I buy stuff. And then my wife goes, well, where are we going to put that?
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I don't know. We can maybe put it where you put all the ship that you buy.
Speaker 1: Put it right next to your collection of shoes. That's what we're doing.
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry. I'm sure we can edit that. And we go back. Literally, I've got I've got drilled saws, everything, draw saw, everything out of that went. Oh man, it's it's.
Speaker 2: All depreciating very quickly.
Speaker 1: We we framed that as if your children were out there cleaning your gun collection.
Speaker 4: Actually not that. It is a really sharp Samurai George collection.
Speaker 1: The Batman bill behind you, that's is that Batman too? Is that the Michael Keaton Batman too? Batman bill?
Speaker 4: Is Michael?
Speaker 1: Is that the best Batman bile there was?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, the Tumbler one, you know, the most recent one is it called the Tumbler I think so. I love the look of that. But yeah, the Michael Keaton one was I think the best one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did want to bring something up and it's cool if you're uncomfortable to talk about this, but it was a career aspect of yours and that's not my dog. What were you thinking of that movie? No, what I wanted to ask was Top Gear Australia. I think everyone was hopeful for it and it sort of fell into a bit of love.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a few things there, which is we did two seasons and had a ball. So Jeremy Clarkson and James May and Richard said they reckon the first year we did on Channel nine with it, so it was the second year for it, but the first year for me, they reckon, which was love with you say. They said they reckon. That was better than their seventh season. So they said, you guys got good at something really fast, and but we had them to look at. But here's the thing, there's a few bits that was always going to have us doomed. It's really hard to be the Rolling Stones cover band when the Rolling Stones are still touring. So you that it's impossible to do that. And I'll tell you what someone said recently, what a great show, what a pitio had to be called top gear because then everyone compares everyone said I had. I had some journalists say why why would you bother doing an austrain women the English one is so good, And we weren't trying to reply top year UK at all. You know the mothership, and it existed in every other country. It was Australians doing our version, so you could see Australian cars on Australian roads and discuss things as Australians that would make sense for Australians. It was never supposed to replace the UK one, and so the UK had fort an e fcy or whatever it meant for another more than thirty five weeks of the year. You were forced to watch reruns and all we did was gave him an option to watch six episodes of something else, but you're still in total, only had about twenty weeks of viewing, and then you were stuck with rerums again. So I never understood why people were so kind of against it. If you will, some people will be interacts. And the other thing was everyone kept saying you know, you haven't got anywhere near the budget as the one in the UK, and you just go, dr we don't have the same budget as the American military. There's a reason for this, there's a population. So yeah, so it was it was always And I did say to a journal once because he said, I don't know why you bothered doing the Australian one with the English one, it is so good, And I said, I hope your boss doesn't feel the same about your job, because you'd be working for the New York Times now telling American stories to Americans instead of an Australian newspaper telling Australian stories to Australians. And then I've been down. Then you report on world news, which we could do as well. We could report on overseas cars, of course, but we rooted everything for the most part with Australian cars with stories. So but look, the great part was I got to do it for two and had an absolute ball. So I just got to drink beer for three two years and everyone goes, you really like that beer? I went, which for.
Speaker 2: Free, of course, you know what.
Speaker 1: You know what's strange now, I feel like in today's climate that would that show would definitely have a place, would definitely have a spot, maybe not on free to air, maybe on a Netflix or Amazon. I just think because it was on at the same time the UK show was on, idiots are going to compare, and I just I feel like there's definitely a space for it.
Speaker 4: You know, if you walk, if you walk outside with the blue jumper on, there's going to be a whole bunch of people who just don't like blue jumpers, like that doesn't and you've done nothing wrong in it. Someone else might go, oh God, I can't believe it didn't go with green, or why don't you wear black? Or I think red so much cooler, yellow looks better. But as soon as you walk outdoors with a blue jumper on with that, before you've set or done a thing, you could have just borrowed it. It doesn't ever have to be yours. You could have got to hand it to you for free. It could have been your father's and you've lost your father and a mean something. But there'll be people who go, I've got a hate blue jumpers. So you just got to accept no matter what you do, you can't make everyone happy. And as soon as you stop trying to do that and make sure you're pleasing the people who do enjoy it, like go out and see. That's the other thing too, I'm you know, my you is more broad now I've got back then, you know, there's no doubt about it. I was letting people know I was a Holden fan. And as soon as you do that, you're actually going to have some people that are going to go. You know, I had to eat so but you've got to You've got to be honest. You've got to be true to what you're doing. You know. Then you know Paul knows that when he does a car with you, and he's not saying someone else won't like that car. I mean there's people buying cars now that don't even know what the badge record. But actually, literally I've an Now, my manager's just brought a carp I told this story on a show the other day. My manager has brought a car as my entertainment. We say managers meant kind of your executive assistant. Right, she works for me, and she's found this car. She's I even spoke with Paul about the hall the ring, Paul to go, how's this thing going? And so she didn't know what it was. She just knew it was a great price. It goes forward and back, it's cold in summer, it's warm in winter. She will go somewhere in it. She thinks maybe it's all a trick. And she just went the will at last, and I said, yeah, she's great. And she went and brought that thing, Paul. She went and bought a car that she didn't even know about. That that that is how much stuff is, how fast stuff is shifting. But when you're doing a show like that, you've just got to stick to your guns, I think, and I get offered like a lot of car shows. Still, who knows, maybe something will happen, you know, in the near future, because I still have a lot of people call me one again in a few weeks with good more idy for akashow, and some of them have got a bit of money behind it that might get it up and going. And I'm always looking for the right one of there's certain things and the ideas I've got about shows. They can't be all things to all people, but either can cars. So who knows, you know, I'd love to do another one because it's my passion and the one thing, as we know, with any show, art, song, food, doesn't matter what it is. The one thing that everyone on Earth loves is passion. And if you sit with someone I told this story and you're on a show the other day that I'd sat with bird watches once for a show who we'd all laugh at and go, there's people that there to watch birds. And I spent an hour with these people, and after an hour of realizing they actually do know everything about every bird that they can see and can mimic their noises, can tell you where they're from, and all this stuff, I went, Okay, I'm going to stop having a go on that because I get it. They know so much about it that within an hour they had me fascinated. So you know, yeah, that does well mate.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I know you.
Speaker 3: I know Steve Bizzarti as well, and I feel that you guys are so passionate that if the right show did come around, I would definitely watch it, and I think that you guys would be would be sensational to have on the on the box again. So yeah, that's that's me. Well, one other thing I wanted to ask you about as well. I first I properly met you when we did the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge, and I absolutely love that event.
Speaker 2: It's it's basically UNI students.
Speaker 3: From around the world pre COVID going to Darwin and in these solar cars that they've built. I want to ask you if if you could have the ultimate solar car, what would it be.
Speaker 4: Wow, I'd tell you what it would probably be is a probably nineteen seventies era what you're a cruiser of some kind, like a big Marquee or maz d like. It'd be a big cruiser because if it's going to be solar powered, going to want to use it in summer, and you're probably going to want to use it towards the north of Australia and maybe go on coastal roads. And if you're going to do that, I'd want to be fat arming it. I'd want the window down, so I guess it would be. And not only that, if I pick a big cruise er, I get more solar panels on it, which means I actually want have to stop. So I'd probably go. As weird as it would sound, I'd love some kind of you know, like great big I mean imagine some great, big, massive cadillact just you know where the duco is made out of solid you know, receiving panels at a sun receiving power source. That just could just have your cruise, And I reckon i'd be doing that. I wouldn't want to be like the Holden Vault or somehow.
Speaker 3: Nobody wants that, even the Chevy Bolt, which they've now recalled because they all keep catching on fire on their own, which is pretty impressive. But yeah, I reckon that. That event I think personifies where the car industry is heading. It's a whole bunch of young, smart kids that are going to get poached by all of these car companies to create stuff like that the retro cool big solar car that perhaps one day, well we'll be on our roads and you'll have a fleet of old, you know, tree killing internal combustion cars and then you'll have some solo thing that will get you down the road in silence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's not it's not only the car companies to steal them. NASA stole one of the guys. It still comes back and drives like NASA like this, Like so many of the companies, Panasonic, so many of the people keep their eyes on that event and they steal the kids, but NASA took one of the one of the kids from one of the universities.
Speaker 1: I've seen like quite a few people put like electric turn old cars into electric. There's a couple of old Porsches floating around with purely running off battery as well. Yeah, yeah, I don't know what they'd be like to drive, but.
Speaker 2: Probably more reliable the standard land Rover.
Speaker 4: If they're old, they're supposed to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the older.
Speaker 4: The older we get, the more we start, and that's that's what cars are supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Great, that's like half the enjoyment in some of these these old cars. Like you sit in there and you can just feel every it does. It might not have air con or you know, you wind the window down, but you sit in there and you you can it's almost like you can feel the road better, like and you feel the car, you hear every blip and blap, and there's a lot of intuition that comes through I think with these older cars.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, literally yesterday mehmo. Wife, we live regionally, so we've just come from you know, I would say temporarily out of lockdown for a moment. Obviously, there's limited things we can do. But we've we've got some beautiful mountain roads and the massive and ranges. So yesterday we jumped in the MG with the roof off and literally like for twenty minutes, said to the kids, we're just literally going around the street, up the hill, over the mountain and the coming back. So my older daughter was staying here with the boys, and we just went for cruise and we're going went to the top of the mountain, which is not that big, and coming back down to the other side. And only there's only there's one way I go up that mountain, one way I go down, and I don't do it the other way around, because there's the hill goes down for a long while and my eh and that MG will not get to the bottom of that without break fades. So I'm very courseous bad the way I go. But even when we're going down, she said, we'll we be right. And see, my wife knows way too much about about the fact that those cars required nursing and they don't call it probably and there's no abs and you know, if I'd get it wrong, there's no area about coming out of anywhere. So yeah, we're going down and I have to explain to her. I'm going to have to probably when we get to the top, even though we're cruising on, probably going to come to a stop because I want to get into first for a couple of corners, and in that car, unless the thing's stationary, you can't get into first, and even second, I have to really match the revs to get it right, and I haven't quite perfected it because I've only had the car for a while. So she's a part of all this, all this stuff I had to do, which we were discussing on the way up the mountain, what I'd have to do in order to navigate getting down it without running out of break. So she's so, you're right. I mean, we're very involved in the driving. You can't you can't turn your brain off, you know. But again, at one point there was a noise. This noise happened. My wife said, what was that? I said, I absolutely no idea. It didn't sound too metallic. I don't think that was a bolt or not. Anyway, we'll find out when I try and stop it next toorn.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, thank you, thanks for stopping by. The grill is what's a monthly?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Cool month hopefully we're seeing you back on the TV very soon with the car show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well I'm I'm on a train show inside Central Station on SBS at the moment, so you can see me doing trains. But yeah, let's get this. I don't have I've got nothing to do with planes. But yeah, let's get you to automative.
Speaker 3: I don't think many people have anything to do with planes at the moment either, So you're right.
Speaker 4: No, not less you're getting flying drugs in and out of Mexico, do you have anything to do with a plane.
Speaker 1: Paul is into that from time to time. Thanks for stopping by, Shane.
Speaker 4: My absolute pleasure, and hopefully once COVID ends, we'll see you all on the road.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Mate, Let's let's catch up for a beer once we're allowed to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mate, we'll do it the same as we do cars. Mate, we'll go hard over God