Speaker 1: I Heard podcasts, Heem More Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: It is our.
Speaker 3: Favorite time ask gun Cut. We do this every single week on our podcast Life on Cut podcast. You guys writing or call up with your deepest, darkest problems predicaments. But today we have one we haven't really had before. We have Casey on the line, who is having a bit of a problem deciding what comes first, a baby or a dog. Casey, welcome to the show. Talk us through the situation.
Speaker 4: So basically, I would really love a dog, and my partner is super hesitant because they want to get pregnant.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why you have to have a baby or a dog. Is the dog a puppy and you're wanting to do it at the same time, because that would.
Speaker 4: Be a lot Well, no, it would be a puppy. We would have it like a year beforehand. But they're afraid that we're gonna stop loving the dog, or that it's going to be too hard for us. But I also see it as a bit of a test.
Speaker 2: It will be a test for sure. I don't think you're gonna stop.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't have a kid. Laura has a multiple kids and a dog. But I don't think you're gonna stop loving the dog. But it is a lot to be taking on because a puppy is really hard work, and puppies aren't puppies for like two or three months.
Speaker 2: Puppies can be puppies for two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's interesting because no one wants to admit that. Like like when I had Buster so Busses my dog. I had him for quite a few years before having children, and he was he came with me everywhere like everything I did. Buster just was in tow all the time. That became a little bit trickier to manage when I had a baby. So you know, of course he still gets all the love, he gets all the attention, but he wasn't as much as in like if I was dragging around a pram and the baby and then having to get from one place to another, the pram was in the back. There was no space for the dog to be in the back. Mind you, He's also enormous, And I want to be careful about saying this. I know there's gonna be so many people here and who were like, you should not treat your dog any different of course in a per well, but like there's less time for everyone because you're bringing in a whole human into the world. So for a lot of people it deprioritizes a little bit, but you don't love them any less, and it rebalances once you get a grip on the whole motherhood thing and you and you figure it out and you find your feet and then you know. And now in our situation, we've got two kids and our dog adapted.
Speaker 2: He's eleven. He loves life, and now he's got two kids terrorizing. I think that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Laws he's eleven, and so even when you started having kids, he was quite.
Speaker 2: Old, ye six at the time.
Speaker 3: Is there a way you could maybe adopt a dog that's not a puppy or get, you know, a dog that's a little bit older in life, that's not as needy and as energetic as you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's not a bad idea, that's a good compromise. But I think the idea of having a puppy is seeing how he raise something together.
Speaker 1: Baby different a baby a baby dog and a baby human.
Speaker 2: They're so different, Yes, yeah, they are, they really are.
Speaker 1: Controversially, I reckon a puppy is sometimes harder than a human.
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: They're harder to like just I know you can kind of leave them at home and stuff like that. You come home, they've eaten through your underwear, They've pissed on your laptop.
Speaker 2: Like puppies are hard work. Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what's the decision here is?
Speaker 3: My advice is get a dog for sure, because you know, my dog is the best thing in my life.
Speaker 2: Get a dog. I just don't think you.
Speaker 3: Should probably be having a baby and a dog at the exact same time. The way you train your puppy is like instrumental in for that dog's the rest of its life. Like the way how easy it is for you in your day to day, how well it's trained, how well it obeys you.
Speaker 2: Like the way you set up your dog. And I hate something set up.
Speaker 3: But it's so true that makes the rest of its life, you know, make or break.
Speaker 2: I'm confused. Is it you who wants the puppy?
Speaker 4: So I want the puppy, but she thinks it's going to be too much work, and I think it's a good test.
Speaker 1: It might be who do you think is going to end up doing the majority share of the puppy load me you reckon?
Speaker 2: All right? Well maybe look it might work. Good Luck, that's all I have to say. Good luck. A baby and a puppy is hard work, that's for sure.