Speaker 1: Laura, come on, hell everyone welcome.
Speaker 2: Who watched The Bachelor? Okay, I'm sick for it. Like I love The Bachelor.
Speaker 3: You've got a husband and two kids from the show.
Speaker 4: I know, I feel like maybe I am a little bit biased, but I actually do love watching it and the fact that they've got the three bachelors now, like it's weird, it feels different.
Speaker 2: I know they did it last year, but I'm into it. I love it.
Speaker 3: So Laura, if you were on the show now and you had to go and pick your.
Speaker 4: I mean, my husband can hear this, but that's fine. Pleasure is the lumberjack one, the Luke Luke.
Speaker 2: Why just he just you know why? Okay.
Speaker 4: On the first episode, he was talking about how he was engaged before and then he broke up with his ex and that relationship didn't work out. But it was the way in which he spoke about his ex. He said, oh, you know, I was once engaged to someone who I love so much. She was an incredible person, and things don't just sometimes don't work.
Speaker 2: Out the way you expected them to. Just the way he spoke about his ex, I was like, oh my god, this is.
Speaker 5: A good man's on a.
Speaker 3: TV show is the leading man. What did you think he was going to stay?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know him. This is no judgment, but like, come on.
Speaker 4: He could have said I was heartbroken, you know, things didn't work out. He could have made it about himself, but instead he said really lovely things about her, and I thought that that says a lot.
Speaker 2: About a person.
Speaker 5: It does look good in overalls with an accident.
Speaker 2: Here are you picking?
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it, but I like Usha quick Gosha and he looks the most gay. He looks the most gay. It's seven thirty on Channel ten tonight. If you want to watch the new season of the Bachelor, Yeah, I'll give it a go. I'm excited for it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: Well, coming up, if you are in a long term relationship and you're a female, there is quite an alarming study that has come out that says that a lot of women might have back up boyfriends in mind.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, that's all on the here at the pickup.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I came across a new study recently, and the findings of this study are very controversial. It really pertains to you more than it does to me. But I want to know how you feel about this. Okay, So this is the findings. Fifty percent of women in relationships have a backup partner.
Speaker 2: Now what rubbish?
Speaker 4: Okay, wait wait wait, What that means is not that you have somebody already on the go or anything like that, but just that most women who are in relationships have somebody in the periphery of their mind who they could go to if things fell.
Speaker 2: Flat in their relationship.
Speaker 4: Now, like a kind of like a just in case emergency, pull the ripcord kind of person.
Speaker 3: It took me the better part of ten years to find the first person to be in the relationship with.
Speaker 2: How are these people finding backup?
Speaker 5: Who has an understudied partner? Wait?
Speaker 3: And like, do you have to like stay in some sort of contact with his people to make sure that they're staying on your level to fill.
Speaker 5: Yes, like a six weekly checking in. This is dumb.
Speaker 3: This is so dumb. If you are listening right now and you have a backup person for your relafelationship, I'm going to tell you some groundbreaking news.
Speaker 2: You're in the wrong relationship.
Speaker 3: If you are already backing up that your relationship isn't going to work.
Speaker 2: Call it quits now.
Speaker 4: Yes, but what if it's still early doors. Okay, like you're saying this, what if you've only been dating for six months or seven months or something, and you're in it, but you're not one hundred percent sure if they're one hundred percent and.
Speaker 5: So then you have this I have a conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you doing this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: But I actually, to be honest, Laura, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: When you're in the early stages of dating and the roster is open, you have a couple of people on the back burner in the first six months.
Speaker 2: I okay, that's different. You've got a roster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But if you're in a long term relationship bad Also.
Speaker 2: Don't come for me. This is not my data. I'm not the fifty percent in this room.
Speaker 5: Okay, you went out on the street.
Speaker 4: No, no, yeah, I wasn't like, Hey, how do I feel about my husband? I know who have two children with No. But this is obviously there has been quite a research pool that's been done and there are people who have this.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: I would love to know if you were out there and you have feelings about this, or you have a backup partner in mind, what does that look for?
Speaker 5: Thirteen One of six five a burner partner. It's like a burner phone you've just got.
Speaker 4: Like maybe you say, oh, he's just my friend, but you've got a partner.
Speaker 3: It means you also don't want to be on your own, means you want a monkey branch because I thought of them breaking up with you is like, oh, I need to have someone ready to go.
Speaker 5: Liz is here, I'm thirteen one or six five? Do you have a backup partner?
Speaker 4: Liz?
Speaker 6: I do not have a backup partner. I think that's ridiculous, and I think it's really sad. Like I totally agree. I think that the study should be titled that fifty percent of women aren't happy in their relationships.
Speaker 3: Women are insecure in their relationship.
Speaker 6: Totally Like who knew that behind closed doors women secretly have a boyfriend reserve bank. I think it's crazy and.
Speaker 1: Also the best part about I think leaving a relationship is then having those single months after And if you've got a backup waiting, then you just are robbing yourself of personal growth.
Speaker 3: How long you've been in your relationship For Liz, I've been in a relationship for seven years. No no itch, no backup, no.
Speaker 6: Itch, no and I just think like there's a difference between having a little perv on someone and then having a backup like I also, I think imagine if the shree was on the other foot, imagine for the study done by men like we would be up in.
Speaker 5: Art totally true.
Speaker 1: All right, Ella's called on thirteen. Ella, what's your take on this? Do you have a backup partner? Oh?
Speaker 6: Look, I think that we all do. I'm not sure that statistics right, I think it's much higher. I think most would if they're being truly honest.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have to know, Ella, how long have you been in a relationship for She's like even years?
Speaker 5: All right, what's what's the backup? How close are they? Like?
Speaker 1: What's the proximity to your backup? Could you go to them tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Or I could?
Speaker 3: But that means you are having contact with them, Ella, Which.
Speaker 2: Wait, I need to know more. Where are things at now in terms of appropriate friendship level?
Speaker 5: Like do you is there they's best friends? Oh?
Speaker 2: Ella, Ella, Ella, Ella, I'm gonna wait, I need more. You are the minority here, not the other way around.
Speaker 6: Okay, I understand that it's just very complicated because the best friend is also my.
Speaker 3: Omic Okay, you got way bigger issues, all right, but we don't have time about I.
Speaker 2: Know I need to know.
Speaker 4: So wait, you've kept him as a friend though, and your partner things that you guys are all just amicable friends.
Speaker 2: But there's still some fire there.
Speaker 1: I think there is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And it's not my decision that they're still friends. They're just wear it still on each other's lives.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 5: A najatoire, but today I think that's what it is. I'm just saying, maybe go for it, dive in.
Speaker 2: I think you need to can that friendship, Britt. I agree with you. I think that that's a friendship.
Speaker 4: That's a disaster waiting to Speaking of disasters, waiting to happen, Britt and Mitch, you guys are going traveling together at the end of this year, very soon, romantic holidays a matter of weeks, just the two of you. And look, I don't know if you are accurate. I don't know if you were both as compatible as you think you are. You're jealous, I am, But I also I think that this is going to end in disaster. I think this is going to end in true love.
Speaker 2: And a marriage.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll talk about that next week you pick up.
Speaker 3: In very exciting news. Mitch and I have just to go on our very first overseas holiday together.
Speaker 1: We're a couple.
Speaker 2: You do say it like you've made that step in the right direction of your relationship. It's a big step in.
Speaker 3: A friendship relationship because you can be really good friends with someone and traveling is a whole another kettle of fish. Mitch and I have decided, well, I'm going overseas for Christmas and New Years to the UK, to Scotland to see my partner Ben his family. My family is going over like my mum and dad, my sister. It's a whole family affair and Mitch's decided he would like to come.
Speaker 4: So I'm Scotland.
Speaker 5: I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I know you guys are thrilled about this, but I feel like you've forgotten because we have been on an overseas trip together. We went to Balley last year and Mitch is a series of disasters when it comes to holiday.
Speaker 2: This man yea yea yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahah yeah.
Speaker 4: I've never met a man who is more And I love you, and I say this with all the love in the world. Yes, but you are a catastrophizer.
Speaker 2: You went to drama school.
Speaker 4: You were a dramatizer and a little bit of a hypochondriac, and that little combination of person to get on an overseas holiday could end in disaster.
Speaker 5: But I'm a fun person.
Speaker 2: You never know what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, well we remember in Bali you got barley belly. You called a doctor to put you on a drip.
Speaker 2: You crashed your scooter. Then you got so scared of driving.
Speaker 5: Someone hit me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you didn't drive it anymore.
Speaker 1: That monkey.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't drink, You wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Drink the water.
Speaker 3: You didn't know how to book your flies. You know how to book your accommodation. I had to book your flights to Scotland for this trip. It made me realize, I don't know how this trip is going to go. The other thing, the icing on the cake, is that you have this obsession with my boyfriend Ben, and I'm a bit concern that when you go on this trip, I'm going to get kicked out and you and himre gonna have some little love affairs.
Speaker 1: When Ben came over from from Scotland for the first time, BRIT's like, I really wanted to be friends. You'd be friends, so we forged a friendship. Now I'm accused of trying to bone BRIT's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: What did you write to him on the weekend? I saw your text message.
Speaker 5: I just said I miss you? Do you love me as much?
Speaker 2: That is literally? And what did he say?
Speaker 5: He said yes?
Speaker 1: And then I said can I drive your car when in Scotland? And he said absolutely not. Well, well, are you actually worried?
Speaker 5: Because I'm good about you.
Speaker 1: I've grown, I'm an older person, I've lost weight, I'm lighter on the plane, like, there's so much benefits to.
Speaker 5: Traveling with me.
Speaker 3: No, I am a little bit worried about how it's going to go down because you aren't joining the family trip, your mom and dad, My mom and dad as well. We're going on this three day road trip. But I do want to ask you, just like I just need to test the waters a little bit.
Speaker 5: Hold on, is this an interview to see if I can come or not?
Speaker 2: We want to see how compatible you actually are for.
Speaker 5: Traveling Toots with this you churncut.
Speaker 6: I like to know.
Speaker 3: I would like to place a situation, a scenario. Okay, we're hiking you and I are in the Scottish Higlands.
Speaker 5: This is dramatic.
Speaker 2: Do you have some dramatic musicscucts? Hiking is a snowstorm prepared?
Speaker 3: A snowstorm comes out of nowhere, Okay, because that's what happens in the highlands.
Speaker 5: I'm closing my eyes as we subl as we.
Speaker 2: Start to run from the avalanche.
Speaker 3: I have trips. It's an avalanche over a highland cow and I have rolled my ankle and I can I can't go forward anymore.
Speaker 6: What do you do?
Speaker 5: I checked the cows, okay, because they're in danger highland. You never suck the vent amount you that's a snake though.
Speaker 2: And you don't know whether she had a spinal injury. To just leave it there totally?
Speaker 5: Yes, leave it on a head down? Correct?
Speaker 2: Do you at least leave me with a coat for coke?
Speaker 5: A coat?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, not my coat, no designer, absolutely not. Okay, I'll call it ambulance. It's one one one in the UK Okay Highlands.
Speaker 2: You don't get an ambulance at it.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Scenario two. You and I are on a night out, just alone. We're having a great time, drinking feasible. I can't quite be sure where we are, and.
Speaker 3: Then you meet a guy that wants to go home with you?
Speaker 2: Tricky? What do you do in that situation?
Speaker 5: Get in the newber and I go home with you? What's the problem?
Speaker 2: Are you guys not staying at the same hotel at this point?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we're sharing a bed in multiple accommodations.
Speaker 2: Firstly, you don't bring him back. Secondly, you don't leave me out there on my own in the club loan and you let me in the Highlands with an old ankle. Yeah, I am seeing a pattern here. It's spread alone on holidays.
Speaker 5: Yes, at the moment you're solo traveling. Is your ankle still rolled at the night?
Speaker 2: Because it is? I mean a moon boo.
Speaker 5: Okay, you come with us, you come with us, come home with this.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't want to see that either. All right, I have a question for you, guys. Mitch. You are quite the fancy traveler.
Speaker 5: Maam you are?
Speaker 4: You love your bougier little holiday rooms you like like you like a good airbnb that has like a breakfast in the morning, everything all inclusive.
Speaker 5: Five star. I don't like hostels. I do love breakfast food.
Speaker 4: So how are you going to feel about the fact that one of the weeks off your Scottish trip has been booked in a hostel.
Speaker 5: No, we haven't. We have hotels the whole time.
Speaker 2: No, okay, you don't.
Speaker 3: Well what happened is Mitch loves boogie things, but Mitch's bank balance doesn't like boogie things. So we've had to Mitch one of these fancy stuff and he put me on a budget. So sorry, we are top and tailing in event.
Speaker 4: You guys are staying at one hotel which is actually a hostel which has bunk beds in a shared.
Speaker 5: Or is this actually one week? I'm not playing around.
Speaker 2: You didn't give me much of a budget to play with it.
Speaker 5: To me, this is more intense than you want a cow in the highlights.
Speaker 4: You know why.
Speaker 2: It's because it's balanced.
Speaker 4: So for most of the places you're staying in nice hotels, but to be able to make it come into budget, one of the hotels is actually a hostage. That's where you're going to be staying.
Speaker 5: I don't sleep in I'm not doing hostile. You have back Mountain many times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the tenth.
Speaker 5: I don't think you've seen that movie.
Speaker 2: What holiday are you going on for it?
Speaker 5: I do not think you see that film.
Speaker 2: Okay, that was the wrong camping analogy mich is really excited about. Look, guys, this is going to be a very very different change of pays. But coming up. I have a real PSA for parents out there. Don't listen to the pip tect your kids to.
Speaker 5: Keep them out the car that's on the way to pick up guys.
Speaker 4: I have something that's a lot more serious that I wanted to talk to you about. It comes as a bit of a PSA to parents out there. As you might know, I'm a mom. I have two little kids, Marley, she's four and Lawless two, and on the weekend we were faced with the situation that I did not think I would be faced with this early with my kids. So, just to kind of give you the background, we have a lovely older lady who lives next door to us. She's in her eighties. It's been a really nice part of like living in this new house is that the kids will go over and they will visit this lovely lady next door, and our doors always opened her and we kind of try and keep her company as well as you know, allow the kids to have a bit of a relationship with our neighbor, and on the weekend just passed, I went over there with the girls and my neighbor and I were standing on the balcony having a chat, and the girls ran inside into her house and we're playing around because she's got dolls inside, she's.
Speaker 2: Got things in there.
Speaker 4: And about fifteen minutes past and Marley and Lola came out, and Lola, who's two, was white as a ghost, and Marley was bawling her eyes out, and I thought, what could have possibly just happened? And Marley came out and said, oh, there was something on the TV. And I walked inside, and not realizing our neighbor, who is quite elderly, she didn't really register what she had playing out on the TV, and she had a true crime documentary playing. And so the girls had run inside they'd seen something on the TV, and then they'd stood there and watched it, and they had seen something truly horrific play out on TV, really violent. And now this is so much for a little two year old and a four year old to process, and also for me as a parent to process the fact that they've experienced this and they've seen it, and then how do we deal with that, and it's just been such a challenging two days and it's going to make me upset because you try so hard as a mum to protect your kids from this sort of stuff and then it feels like, in one moment, you can completely fail them. And that's how I felt off the back of that experience. And you know, I thought in this house they were so safe. We've done it a hundred times, and it was just in that moment and then you're like, how do you take back something that they've now seen. How do you comfort them in a way to explain what they've seen on a TV isn't real when they're too young to really comprehend what's happening.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the thing is here, not that it makes it okay. But unfortunately in life there are going to be things that are outside of your control. And you can be the best parent in the entire world, which we all know you are, and these things can still happen that you can't undo that, and you can't be even a helicopter parent can't be with their kids twenty four to seven. Like there's always going to be something in life. And you know, you hear this from parents all the time at all different ages that you wish you could protect them from everything and be there with them every step of the way, but you just can't. And I guess now it's how do you explain to them that that was fake, that that wasn't real, that that's a growing up show where it's acting like I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: That was tomatoesce that what you have is that what you had to do. What was your first step as a parent. Did you talk to Matt, your husband, and go, we need to talk to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And my first step with the girls was really reassuring. I mean, they live in the safest house, They are filled with love, like they are filled with safety. But I just I was like, how do you explain to them that what's happening on the TV isn't real? How do you explain to them that what they've just seen is not something that they should have to comprehend it? And I guess partly as well, like you want to validate that it's okay to be scared of that, because I would have been scared too, but it's not real. And I guess for me, I just having this experience on the weekend, it made me exactly as you said, like, realize that you can try so hard, like you can put all of the safety nets in place, and sometimes things can happen that feel beyond your control. But that doesn't mean that you don't feel incredibly guilty for it. And That's what I'm dealing with now, is this, like I feel like I'm the failure in that.
Speaker 1: Oh, Laurie, you can't feel that, because that's so normal and so natural. It's part of growing up. Like you said, Britta, and I have memories to this day of seeing pans Labyrinth. Nowhere near what the girls saw, but that's.
Speaker 5: So scary. And also all my cousins had all the Goosebumps books and the front covers.
Speaker 2: I was scared.
Speaker 5: I would go downstairs in.
Speaker 1: My cousin's house at family events and I'd look at these covers and I'd look at them and I'd be so terrified, and I would lose sleep over them. I didn't tell anyone, And it's not my parents forat I don't think I'm playing my kids. So your kids are not going to blame you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And maybe this is the reminder to parents, like your kids at some point are going to see things whether it be because they have an older sibling who's on an iPad, or because you've been on Instagram and like, there's so much that's happening online these days, whether it be violence overseas or whatever it is, but it is very easy for them to come across something that is not age appropriate. And I guess for me, this was a real lesson around how much more I guess active I have to be and how much more protection kids need in terms of like screen time and having that being in front of mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, all right, let's get out of here, guys, let's go.
Speaker 1: We're gonna chat to you tomorrow. We're back for your Wednesday. If you've missed the show, you can podcast that. We had a revelation that fifty percent of women have a backup boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I know there's three women in this room right now, and none of us have a backup boyfriend. So you have backup boyfriends when you're dating.
Speaker 5: I even have one boyfriend. I said, no, I don't. I don't have a backup.
Speaker 1: But we had this conversation earlier in the show podcast on iHeart Search the Pickup.
Speaker 5: We'll see you guys tomorrow.
Speaker 3: The