Speaker 1: When being funny is your job, how can you turn it on like a tap? And by the way, you only have an hour set aside to prep then it'll be filmed tomorrow and airs on TV soon after. And before any of this has happened, you've had to wake up at three thirty am, pack yourself some lunch, and ride your bike to work and host two and a half hours of breakfast radio. This is the new life of Sammy Jane, who were used to seeing on stages around the world next to a puppet, a purple puppet named Randy. Gone are the days where Sammy j McMillan had all day to sit around writing comedy songs before heading into town to perform at night. Now his success means that he has many bosses and demands on his time and he has to manage his creativity to deliver it within very streat time limits. So how does he structure his day around something that is so unstructured and spontaneous And what's the checklist that he uses to make sure he has the energy to get through the week. My name is doctor Romantha imbat I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral Science consultancy Inventium and this is how I work, a show about how to help you do your best work. For the past year, Sammy has been working two full time jobs, presenting early morning radio five days a week on ABC Melbourne, as well as writing and performing comedy on TV. So let's learn about how Sammy actually structures his days.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: At the moment in my life, I've got a job which I've never had before, so that gives me some inbuilt structure in that I have to turn up to a workplace or I will be fired, and that helps. But the specific turning out time is the sole point. Because I'm working in breakfast radio. I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Started last year at twenty twenty, I started hosting the breakfast Radio show which goes from five point thirty in the morning till eight o'clock on ABC Local Radio. That means I have to be in the office at four thirty, an hour before showtime, and that means I have to get up at a quarter to four each morning. So that's the brutal part. But having got up out of bed, you know, I then get myself to the office and I do my show and so five days a week. Now, I do have an inbuilt structure where I have to be somewhere there are other people around, which as someone I've previously come from a life of comedy, so my schedule has normally been entirely in my own hands. But I guess this structure helps in that I have accountability and obligations in around that. I also write and produce a weekly TV spot for ABC, which is a satirical spot based on the news of the week, and that goes out nationally each week. I write that with my co writers on a Monday, and we refine it on Tuesday, and we film it on a Wednesday, so that all takes place after the radio show. So that is a very bird's eye view of the schedule, Amountha. But I will let you probe me further if you wish. But I don't want to be one of those guys who then talks like an hour and then you're like, no, I just wanted a really quick response.
Speaker 1: That's right, thank you, yes, because those guests are always delightful to manage. So you're getting up a quarter to four, how then do you think about the back half of your day? Because you're not really wanting to be up until midnight doing stuff or writing. So how does it work when you clock off? So to speak from breakfast radio? But you still got all these other commitments took me through that.
Speaker 2: I'll go really micro right now.
Speaker 3: Like two hours ago, I fell asleep sitting up at my desk and woke myself by snoring, and I'd accidentally typed something on the keyboard, which we all been marveled at, like it was my subconscious.
Speaker 2: The word was ft like a million ease. That's not regular, but that's I.
Speaker 3: As to your other guests amount that, I'm assuming you've had some like high profile like big hitters Forbes rich List, and.
Speaker 2: They all have got their shit together. They know what's going on. So I'm not going to be one of those skits. I've got more. I'm coming seeking for help and advice.
Speaker 3: Really, last year, I basically to answer that question, I didn't have a good sense of my schedule, and I was still working off and at five o'clock on any day, which meant I've been going.
Speaker 2: For thirteen hours.
Speaker 3: And I've also got two young kids, and so it was just completely unsustainable. So this year I did come in as a sort of goal driven guy. Maybe I was like, Okay, what do I want to get out of this year? And really the main thing for me is I want to stop working it about two o'clock each day, because that.
Speaker 2: Would mean I'll have done about eight or nine hours and at two o'clock.
Speaker 3: Bearing in mind that's sort of my mentally, that's my five or six o'clock in the evening. So if I don't switch up down, I'm simply not going to have time to unwind or see people before I have to get to bed at eight or eight thirty each night.
Speaker 2: So that's my approach to the day. Now.
Speaker 3: It's very much a work in progress because there's always things to do. Well, there's always more you can do, of course in life, and so really trying to focus hat on what's the job I have to do today and when is enough?
Speaker 1: So how do you clock off at two in the afternoon, because everybody else in the world is like, hang on, no, no, no, We've still got half a work day.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a bit of management of expectations, I think, because I'm generally I've always pride of myself, I'm being pretty responsive communication wise. It's like I can't if I've got an unread text message or a message I haven't responded to from anyone that'll give me low level anxiety until I've sort of tiped that off and I am trying to get much better at going No, it's okay to step away, it's okay to leave people hanging a little bit, and as far as the six of the day goes, I think that's part of me communicating to my different teams, whether it's my radio team or or my TV team, that I'm not going to be around after two o'clock, or that they can text me or amout me, but I might not get back to them, and of course I probably still do, so I need to get better at training them that that's not the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's an interesting rule, so don't expect a response after two.
Speaker 2: Which it's very specific to my job.
Speaker 3: Like obviously, I think the challenge for most people who are working hard, like everyone in the world, is the nighttime routine I reckon.
Speaker 2: Like until last year, I was a night owl.
Speaker 3: I performed at night, I worked at night on off and wrote things at night, So it would be getting into bed at one o'clock or something that would be my challenge it's the opposite. Now I'm productive in the morning because that's my current job. I think it's slightly lonely in that sense that even if I'm functioning, or I'm around, or I've been to meetings at three or four o'clock in the afternoon, people just go, okay, Sam, you see, that's fine. But mentally it's really can become quite a fog. And I'm getting better at I think sticking up for myself or at least explaining that I'm operating on a different and less pleasurable plane at that time of day.
Speaker 1: And how have you trained yourself to go from a night owl to essentially a morning person?
Speaker 2: Like any job, you do jump into it.
Speaker 3: So I trained myself simply by sitting the alarm, and it was as brutal as any early rises. No, I mean three point thirty that as an alarm is almost a late night rather than morning.
Speaker 2: That's how someone.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's a body clock thing, and it actually I've adjusted to it pretty well.
Speaker 2: I have to be really careful. I think about my I.
Speaker 3: Never drink during the week, for example, because I'll just get a headache the next day and that sort of thing. And I try and ride my bike into work, which sounds like I'm some sort of tony appt alpha male, which is not me. If anyone is picturing that, I'm a skinny bird like chicken man like struggling my way to work. But it means that I've built in some exercise to the day, for example. So it's all these little practical things that I've managed to make it work. But I'm aware that it's a fine balance and it can easily come part.
Speaker 1: Do you have routines at night to help, I guess, train yourself that hang on even though a lot of the world might be out or being social right now, I need to get to bed in order to have enough sleep to wake up at an ungodly hour.
Speaker 3: I think in terms of how my week breakdowns, and this includes the nights. It's very much basics for me, which I've never had to get my head around as much in the past, and I do now because as I just said, like otherwise, I know that it'll you know, there's nothing worse than being on radio and feeling hungover or exhausted or miserable.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's the regular exercise thing.
Speaker 3: It is getting to bed on time, and I, you know, try and routine wise, I'll physically I'll go down, I'll close the door, I'll have a shower, and prepare my bag for the next day, really practical things that I know I'm not going to want to think about the next day. I'll put a banana in my bag for like all that sort of stuff and the things that I just don't want my brain space to be taken up with in the morning.
Speaker 2: And also just making sure I'm prepared. So on radio, you know, each day.
Speaker 3: It is a show, I'm interviewing lots of different people and that sort of thing, and trying to be across the basic stories that we're planning to do the next day, all those little things that.
Speaker 2: Just take a bit of pressure off the following morning. But yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 3: At least I feel like every second week I might get to the end and be exhausted or something didn't go right. But at least I feel like I have a better checklist now than I ever had of what variables exist, so I can go Last week, I had a bad one a man, for I was just like from behind the whole time, I was not quite present, and I got to the end of the week and I thought, Okay, what happened this week? Well, I didn't run a bike once any day. I've got a bit lazy with that, so that's one factor.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I did have a beer one night, so that wouldn't have helped little specific things. And I also moved house, which I realized, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: That's that's pretty stressful.
Speaker 1: That's pretty big.
Speaker 2: And I think it was someone else who pointed that out to me.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this is a really hard week, and they're like, yeah, but you just did I think, don't. They say moving house is like one of the most stressful thing you do in life. So yes, yes, I was getting too focused on my little checklist without realizing there was the biggest thing at play.
Speaker 1: That's right, too worried about packing that banana. So tell me more about this checklist. So is this like an actual checklist or a metaphorical checklist?
Speaker 2: Tell me about it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's metaphorically that it's just a mental one now. But I found it super handy and I think it's something I should have paid.
Speaker 2: Far more attention to in the past.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is the appropriate stage to wine the clock back and man through in our check because I don't want to, you know, drag it down a time walk too soon. But my whole career in life has been a self appointed comedian. I've done live shows, and I think my primary skill and my primary work has always been doing live shows. And what I've been by that is working at comedy festivals. So I live in Melbourne, so anyone who is listening from Melbourne knows that the Melbourne Comedy Festival is a huge event here. It takes over the streets every year. And then the other two biggest festivals in the world of Montreal and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. So over the past fifteen years, that's been my sort of life, bouncing between those festivals as well as smaller ones doing life work. In the last five or ten years, I've gravitated more towards TV, but in almost all of that work, and I've always been prone to stress and wanting to get things done, and I've always been pretty productive and focused, but it's often bubbled over, certainly not in any really serious way.
Speaker 2: But I look back now and go, yeah, I reckon.
Speaker 3: That stress slash low level anxiety and things has always been bubbling away down. I could have been far more proactive in addressing that. And I think that's what this little checklist does for me.
Speaker 2: Now I'm able to go.
Speaker 3: There will always be some stressful weeks or weeks were just feeling down on yourself because you didn't achieve what you wanted to and so on, but I'm able to go.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yep, look you die.
Speaker 3: Look at your drinking, look at your exercise, Look you're planning, and most importantly for me, look at what things you said yes to that you should not.
Speaker 2: And I think that's a big hangover.
Speaker 3: From being a self employed artist for fifteen years, because I spent my whole life training myself to say yes to absolutely everything, because it's a famine or feast thing.
Speaker 2: When you're at you do have to take the work.
Speaker 3: I'm suddenly in a position where I have two stable jobs with my radio and my TV work, and it's a real challenge to learn to say no to requests because basically I'm now at the point where capacity wise, as per the day I just described to you, if I say yes to a gig or a job or something, it's really taking time away from my family and my ability.
Speaker 2: To to not die, which is a goal. Who's another goal on my checklist? Did I die today?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I'm going all right.
Speaker 1: It's been a successful day, like you know, set the filelow. So with that, this idea is saying this and saying no. I once heard someone say that the number one productivity tip that they could give to anyone and is to say no more often. And I want to know, for someone that has not been used to saying no, what have you learned about how to say no? Well?
Speaker 2: Oh, that is a great question, and I'm still learning.
Speaker 3: I think the phrase over committed is a great phrase to use, not just because it's easy to say, but it's actually completely truthful, and because I have a huge habit, Amantha of if someone says, you know, text me or emails and says what you do this, and I will spend twenty minutes composing the reply and giving really specific, detailed analysis and an essay on why I would love to but here's why I can't. But maybe next time get back to me. Like I've just lost more time than often the task would have taken just to do. So, you know, I have a managers in terms of my comedy and my work and everything. Who I've worked with for ten years now, but I'm definitely relying on them, leaning on them more often now to be able to ford an email really quickly and say please decline with my thanks, you know that sort of language, which, again, it's a very privileged position to be and so I'm really aware of that. But on a personal level, I've always felt that I want to help people when I can, and professionally, when you get to a point where my appearance in a show or something would help someone, I really want.
Speaker 2: To be able to do that.
Speaker 3: But equally, I have to remind myself back to what we were talking about about.
Speaker 2: I have a family and I need to see them and leave time for so.
Speaker 3: I think honesty is great, but also as far as the advice and learning about saying no, you don't.
Speaker 2: Have to be a completely open book.
Speaker 3: It's that you're allowed to have a bit of personal reasons as to why you don't want to do something, and if you're not just known as a general asshole, then you can expect people to understand. I think I would. Sometimes my mind will go to the worst case scenario where they think that I'm a monster for saying no to something, when actually they might just go fair enough, you can't do it, They'll move on with their day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so easy to overthink, isn't it. I do like the idea of delegating saying no. That is very helpful something I do because I say no a lot because I used to be a yes person and that just got me into chaos in very busy days. But I have a templated response for saying no for some of the more common requests that I get, and I find that for me, that takes the emotion out of it and it makes me feel less stressed about saying no.
Speaker 3: They adjusted though we're throwing one little personal line at the top, or do you make a point of not doing that, because then you start getting creative about it.
Speaker 1: Then I start falling into your problem of like taking so long to respond that I should.
Speaker 2: Have just done the time of bus What are the buzzwords in your template?
Speaker 1: So firstly acknowledge that I'm flattered that they would think of me. Like, for example, something I say no to a lot is I get a lot of pitches for people wanting to be on the podcast or pr folk wanting to get their clients on the show, And so I certainly thank them for thinking of how I work, because that's lovely. I give a reason, which is that the schedule's full, which it generally is a few months in advance, and then I'll wish them luck with whatever they're doing. So they're the three key ingredients. And the other thing that I think is really important, because I know it really shits me when I ask for something and it doesn't happen is just a quick no, quick note. I think can feel a bit vicious, but I actually think being on the receiving end of quick notes and slow nose, the quick notes are so much better because you can move on and just oh, yeah, you know it's not personal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I see I've got like emails right now and you box with flags on them because I wanted to give it a week before I said no, And you've just clarify for me that that's who's.
Speaker 2: That helping like it's it's it hangs over me, hangs over them. It's it's no good.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because I reckon the slow no comes from you almost want to make it look as if it was a really tough decision. Should I say yes, should I say no? I'm stewing over it for a week. That's how big a decision it is. But that's not helping anyone. Now. I read that when you're presenting radio you started standing up. Why are you doing that?
Speaker 3: When I started the job startup last year, and I just had a view in my mind. ABC Radio is in Australia, it's very well known, it's very well trusted and respected by some, and so it's got a certain mature and you know, intelligent sort of aura, and in my head that the presenters I always listened to on the were just mature people who were sitting down and just talking maturely about things. And I tried that for the first week and I was listening back, I could hear myself. I was like, you're not really being you're being You're doing an impersonation. And because I do do impersonations in my comedy, perhaps that's one of my go to tools. But I was impersonating and what I thought I roundio presentation should be. So I was very much like, oh, good morning Melbourne, it's ABC Radio.
Speaker 2: You're with Sammy Jay and it just wasn't me.
Speaker 3: And then I discovered there's a button on the desk in the studio, which it's like an arrow up and down. I don't know when it told me about it, but I was like, oh, I pushed it at the whole desk, like hydraulically lifts up really spectacularly. So I did a whole show standing up, and people commented they could hear my energy Chaine straight away, because I'm now every show, I jump around and I pace and strutton and my arms are flating around and it's still, you know, not that I'm switched to a complete vaudeville show, but it's absolutely lets me.
Speaker 2: Have more fun when I want to have more fun and when it's appropriate.
Speaker 3: And for me, it's purely just tapping into I think, what I what I already do, which is standing on stage talking to people. And when I was sitting, I was not embodying or accessing any part of that part of me. But standing up feels just more like what I do.
Speaker 2: Now. That's not saying that what I do is a complete crap, but at least it's authentic crap.
Speaker 1: At least. And you are you standing right now as we're recording Should I?
Speaker 2: Should I stand now for a while and see.
Speaker 1: Let's let's do that and see if I see.
Speaker 2: I did the same thing you just point.
Speaker 3: I realized that I'm doing a business podcast with them, all I should I should, That's right, Okay.
Speaker 1: You need to be very serious now. Now that's interesting about this idea of being more you, particularly when you're someone that is used to adopting a character or a persona. So with the radio work, what were the steps that you took, aside from pressing a button to raise a desk, to be more you and get out of that ABC presenter persona.
Speaker 3: It's the biggest question I have for myself at the moment, because it's an ongoing thing and the job came up unexpct for me.
Speaker 2: I was asked to fill in.
Speaker 3: Briefly, I didn't know that there was soon be an opening and sort of thing as radio people come and going radio constantly, and so it'll be me on the way out at some point.
Speaker 2: But when I was.
Speaker 3: Offered the role, I really was completely unsure, Like it wasn't something I jumped in straight away. I really I did the whole full waiting to say yes or no. I made them as we just discussed, But because my whole career has been spent yet Sammy Jay is a nickname and a character name like I've used it as a fictional character and in a musical comedy duo with Randy the puppett I've used it as myself when I MC events and things.
Speaker 2: But it's this changeable thing.
Speaker 3: But on radio, I think there's a metaphorical contract where where you're expected to bring yourself there. You can't just be up pretending to be someone all day, and you have to bring a bit of yourself into it. And that's been a big learning curve for me getting comfortable with that, and I think I am now much further along than I was when I started in the job. But it all comes back to complete fear for me, as perhaps it does for everyone in any job you did.
Speaker 2: I was afraid of being shown up to be stupid or or.
Speaker 3: Arrogant, or vulnerable or all the things that we don't like about ourselves. And when you're speaking every morning, five days a week to hundreds of thousands of people, that fear is intense. But like any job, it's now something which I can switch on at five point thirty and talk and not be too worried about what's coming out of my mouth. Because I've learned that if I can talk to you personally, or I can talk people in a room and I don't come off as some big racist to beget, then maybe I can do that on regular you know, because the fear is huge in the media and instance day and age. You know, we all know you're on this step away from being canceled or whatever. So that's all there. But I think in being myself who is I'm a fairly vulnerable sort of poking my head over the parap sort of guy. Anyway, That's been I think my secret weapon, because I'm normally the first person to make the joke about myself than others to acknowledge hopefully where there's blind spots or places to improve. I try to do that as much as I can on radio, so that people aren't threatened by me, and then perhaps they don't want to attack me as viciously.
Speaker 1: What is that feedback loop like for yourself? Do you have a proces for reviewing or analyzing or critiquing your performance on radio?
Speaker 2: There is a very structured process for that. At ABC.
Speaker 3: There's internal air checks they call them, where you all gather together and listening back and then as a team you work on the show, and you're always coming up with new segments or discussing guests and things. So that's there, and I sort of trust that process pretty well because I still feel like I'm very much learning, I'm still very much the new kids, So there's never been a note given to me where I haven't agreed with it. Like if someone says how you're talking too fast, or hey, that was a really bad question you could have asked like this, I'm always like yeah, totally like so I really find.
Speaker 2: That actually helpful.
Speaker 3: There's a more blunt feedback tool which is called the ratings, and in fact, you know, they actually just came out like an hour ago, so I think there's a whole now, Like in the paper later today, I will be mentioned with regards to my ratings and things. But having been through the TV and live work, you get fairly used to the up and down all that stuff as well, So not as affected by that as I think some people thought I would be.
Speaker 1: I think that's really interesting about the work that you do, that the feedback is so public, certainly with something as objective, if you like, as ratings, through to social media and the feedback loop there through all the work that you've been doing in your career. How have you learned not to let it just completely destroy you and self confidence? What are the strategies that you've learned over the years.
Speaker 3: Gee, well, I mean I think back to the first like bad comedy review I get I got like years ago, and it does destroy you like anyone, likely in the normal workplace. Perhaps that's the equivalent of a workplace.
Speaker 2: Review or something.
Speaker 3: But having your name published in the newspapers, someone giving you two stars and saying, oh, it's just rubbish.
Speaker 2: It can cripple you. But I think in the comedy and in the.
Speaker 3: Arts or in general, they're the bits that make you, and they're the bits where and if you headed to any open mic comedy night or musicians night, you're going to find let's say ten performers in their early twenties, eight or nine of them will probably not continue that as a job. And I think part of that will be because of the feedback is the audience weren't kind to them more because they.
Speaker 2: Had a bad review and it was a bit of fun.
Speaker 3: But then they move on and get stable jobs, which I have so much respect for because I don't think we're built as humans to I don't really like the idea that we have to become hard in ourselves or become completely oblievi's to what people think in order to succeed, because I think that's just not a natural statement. We all want to be liked and we all want to be complimented rather than torn down. However, creatively, it took me a long time. I think success didn't come to me like really quickly. It's been a very slow sort of progress for me career wise, and along the way for me was always about finding my voice, finding what I found funny, being true to that, and that really helped so much with reviews and things. Because when I got a good review for like my live shows, and it was a show I really worked hard on and I was proud of it, I was really it was really satisfying. But we've had a bad review again, either I agree with some of the points, I was like, you know, that's fair enough, or it was someone who just didn't like me, and that I really got to the point where I think that that's okay as well, Like I'm not here, none of us are here to try and please everyone in the world. Then that's just a recipe for disaster, and I think creatively and I talk about this with younger comedians if they ever want to know a bit more about the industry or my take on it, But I sort of say, well, you have to decide you're trying to do things that you enjoy, or you're trying to do things just for other people. And if you want to other people, you can, you know, make as meny dick jokes as you want, or pub jokes that aren't appropriate or whatever, and you can please lots of people, but you probably won't be necessarily happy with that. But if you're doing what you want to do, then whether or not there's an audience for that is to an extent.
Speaker 2: Out of your hands.
Speaker 3: You're just trying to find the audience to share your sense of humor. And then to the extent that it is in your hands, I think that takes up ninety percent of your work because very much, for me, comedy has been a business and it's about really aggressively finding that audience and being clever about how you market yourself. And I don't say that with any synthesis and whatsoever. I'm just saying that most artists who have made a living have had to become by default business people in order to achieve that. Wow, that was a really long answer, like I went all over the place an sorry, mat.
Speaker 1: That's why we edit things, but I probably won't edit that. So you make it sound really really simple, like don't try to expect that everyone will love you. Find your kind of crowd. But I imagine that that was a pretty hard lesson to learn, Like was there a turning point where you perhaps knew that intellectually but you then started to internalize that.
Speaker 3: I think there was, and I think it was to do with maturity, As lame as that sounds, but I look back and my first gigs singing songs standing up at a keyboard in pubs around Melbourne. Half that material, it was still proud of, in that I was doing interesting songs or coming up with interesting comedy ideas that were a bit original, And the other half was just some shocking stuff that was variously probably racist or misogynisic or sexits and take your pick, like in terms of just as a young image would do trying to make people laugh. And I think I also really put up quite a confronting facade of really trying to be an edgy, sort of smart on stage because I saw that was how other people were doing it, and that was never actually me. I was much more yeh, the sort of almost shy nerd type. And I look back maybe the last five years or so, when I've had more success in some ways, I think that has been because of that human element to what I do. Like I much more work on bringing my own stories, Like there'll be personal elements to my songs that I right now which I never would have used to approach because I would have thought it was too small zerials and it didn't have enough jokes. But I now have learned that being more myself, even if myself is not as funny as that most comedians at least, I think there's a personal connection there which I can achieve, and I've learned to embrace that far more. So that's not really a lesson for anyone else. It's probably less than being more true to yourself. So for me, that was being more true to myself.
Speaker 1: Hey, there, it's nearly time for a little ad break. But can I ask a favor of you? If you're enjoying how I work, I would be so grateful if you could hit pause on the show and pop into Apple podcasts or wherever you're listening to this from and leave a review. You can do this by scrolling to the bottom of the show notes and clinging on the stars or writing a comment. And aside from the warm, fuzzy feelings that this will give both you and me, it helps other people find out about how I work. So thank you in advance. Okay, Sammy Jay will be back after this short break and we'll be talking about how he overcomes writer's block on the topic of writing things that are funny. I imagine that you must have experienced writer's block many, many times. What are your strategies for overcoming that.
Speaker 3: I think I've helped a lot of the moment with the weekly TV spot by two things, and that is why I write it with two co writers, so good friends, Chris but Donald and James Pender. So every Monday we get together online in different states and we talk about the news, we see what you know, what we find interesting, and what we find funny, and we throw things around. So obviously that's a huge help having someone to collaborate with, and I've always loved collaborating on whenever I'm writing, it's far less lonely, and secondly, for us, it's the deadline. We then have to submit a script by Wednesday morning, because I obviously needed to run past the lawyers, and then they needed for production, and then we need.
Speaker 2: To film it.
Speaker 3: And so if I could take this week as an example, we're doing a Royal family yoga sketch and that was still being written while I was sitting in the makeup chair.
Speaker 2: Like I was, there were talking through different moves like is in bred Corgi an appropriate yoga move? Who knows?
Speaker 3: We'll find out that the regularity of that is so helpful, as I'm sure the listeners will appreciate. Like you know, there's nothing like a deadline, and you get to the point where you can't overthink it. Now I've had months before to write a show or we're going to show, and you know, still leave it to the final week. So that really helps. But I think, and I'm not the first person to say this, but just having something doubt is putting something on the page.
Speaker 2: You can't edit a blank page.
Speaker 3: And even if you write something that is just terrible, at least then you can look at it and ask yourself you think it's terrible and the instead about fixing it, So something is better than nothing.
Speaker 1: I think always, what's collaboration been like with other writers and doing that virtually as opposed to face to face. How have you made virtual collaboration work for comedy writing?
Speaker 3: Well, of course it came about just by necessity last year with COVID, So that was just something we were thrown into like everyone else. And it was tricky, and it's always tricky because, particularly comedy writing, to be in the same room and just to be able to know one of you has a line or burst do a performance, and there is such an energy and a rhythm to that that you cannot replicate on a screen. But we've learnt to get as close as we can. It certainly didn't end up affecting. I think last year was our third series at the Weekly Spot, and we did I think some of our best sketches when we look back on it. It's just a case of having a video on so you can see each other's faces, and learning not to interrupt, for letting someone finish their train of thought, all the basics of zoom communication. Look, I'll be honestly, I'm spinning it positively because we've all made it work, but there's nothing like being in a room with someone. That's just how I feel, honestly, and I'm hoping we can do more of it soon.
Speaker 1: What is the difference, do you think, because I find that a lot of our corporate clients at Inventium lamenting the fact that work will probably be some kind of hybrid mix where people work from home and work from the office and kind of split their time between the two. And they say, well, real, true collaboration can't really happen unless we're face to face. And I must say I disagree with that, but I want to know for you, why is it that that kind of that real magic presumably can truly only happen when you're in the same room.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of disagreeing with myself, I guess in a way because, as I said, like some of our best work last year was done remotely. I think it's just more challenging because you do have to focus your mind and.
Speaker 2: Your energy a little more. And I think it can all depend on the moment. Like right now.
Speaker 3: Chatting to you, we're not in the same room, but I feel like this is a conversation which is based on words so I think it works perfectly. This it's it's if we're in the same room, it might almost affect us too much because where there's other cues and inputs that are mucking us up, you know, like.
Speaker 2: For example, I'm wearing a man kin. He up, now that would distracting for it.
Speaker 1: I want to co incident, so am I.
Speaker 3: Put as far as from me as a comedy writer, being in the same room, there's just.
Speaker 2: So much nuance. Even if you're pitching an idea. You might pitch an idea.
Speaker 3: That is aligned that is not funny on the screen, not funny written on a page, but you need to see someone told physicalityly, for example, a yoga sketch if you're trying to come up with funny yoga moves.
Speaker 2: But that's an example of this tangible thing. You can do it. We did do it.
Speaker 3: But it's just hard, that's all. But I certainly also have been involved in you know, other business meetings or just chats where it's absolutely not affected in any way by the fact that you're on a screen. I would just argue that, yeah, it's I think I've learnt in practice that being in a room, it's right down to like you're in a room. Let's say there's a screen that's broken or something, or there's something on the floor that you will see at the same time and you can comment on or something. All those little weird chicks in life that happened, and it's just that shared experience which brings.
Speaker 2: You closer together.
Speaker 3: It's nothing to do with the work you're doing, but it's about just being more comfortable with each other.
Speaker 1: So are there strategies that you've used or toyed around with to help improve virtual collaboration?
Speaker 3: The really dull stuff, but the most important stuff is the punctuality thing. Because it's so easy online to say, oh, I'll be five minutes late, or just drop a message sorry, someone's at the door, all that sort of thing, and that can be so frustrating when you're trying to come together at the same time. And I'm as guilty as the next person. So I think this year, as writers, we're definitely trying to be far more punctual, which just helps because it adds up. You know, you go through a couple of weeks and you've lost collectively an hour or two of just waiting around.
Speaker 2: For each other.
Speaker 3: I also, because I'm the script editor of the show, in that I have the final say on what words go to wear and everything. I'm trying to get better at drawing a line time wise on the conversations at times when we particularly as writers, there is always another idea that could be out there. It's never finished, it's never perfect. It ends up being whatever you did in the time you had. So I'm getting better at that's saying, Okay, we need now to commit to this idea. Let's just roll on and back to that idea that you didn't get something on the page, and if it's not.
Speaker 2: Great, you keep on working to make it better.
Speaker 3: But I think that time structure for me is the key because I no longer live in the world I used to, which was I'm going to do a comedy festival show.
Speaker 2: I've got three months to write it.
Speaker 3: And I'll just mosey along at my own pace and i have a really reductive day, and then I'll have two days off and i'll have a sandwich and I'll get back to it. I don't have that luxury, and I think my writing is probably way better for it.
Speaker 1: I want to ask about being funny, and how do you write your jokes and think about your jokes. I'm partly reluctant to because before we hit records, you're like, oh, I'm really this is fun doing a business podcast and not a humor or like comedy podcast. And I'm like, oh god, am I just about to ask you the exact same questions here asked on comedy podcasts.
Speaker 3: A comedy podcast wouldn't ask you about how you write, you know, it would be are all about, you know.
Speaker 2: Trying to be smart asses. Yeah, getting one ups on each other.
Speaker 1: Because I'm really fascinated by the idea of how people can bring more levity and humor to work, particularly office work, where you don't necessarily think about that. So I feel like there's probably a lot that listeners can learn in terms of thinking about how you as a comedian. Right joke? So, can you tell me how do you write a joke? Are there certain ways, certain formulas or like go to tricks and stuff?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, So I do feel like there are two questions here, because one is the workplace you would think, which is a whole different discussion. But I'll go first to my death creative side, since that's where the question ended in that that is the question you ask me, I should be from a politicians.
Speaker 1: Look, it was probably like a triple Barreld.
Speaker 2: Question, which yeah, no, but you're tricking that. I see what you're doing. You want me to do that? And there were okay.
Speaker 3: So on the process of writing, sadly there is no simple answer because if there was, you know, we'd all be baking heaps of money from comedy and everyone would be doing it like it is hard and there's no consistent thing. But certainly for the weekly ABC TV spot that I do, I think, what is the world that would best reflect this? And who is the target that That's the two key questions. So another one of my characters is the government coach, who's basically it is a footy coach who basically talks like this in the same way that after a footy match finishes, you know, feel grid to the boys and you put it.
Speaker 2: A bit of there.
Speaker 3: But he does press conferences in that style talking about federal politics and so there there are probably two targets. There's a little bit of a target of the Aussie macho sports culture that bubbles away, but eagerly it's still back on the politicians. With my yoga sketches. That's much more a chance to write jokes about a topic in a very different format because it's interestingly the punchlines are actually based around the moves themselves, so you might do a backflip move, or you might do it standing on one foot or foot in the mouth move, and so it's like you're picking up a different tool or a different I don't know color of paint. I'm not a good paint based metaphor amantha, But in terms of my I think it comes back to those rules that a blank page or blank script is terrifying. But once you have some limits both time and creatively, then you can really fly. And so last year we did, for example, a parody of Grand Designs where I was presenting as.
Speaker 2: The host in a sort of Kevin McLeod impression.
Speaker 3: And we were talking about the Australian Budget House which the treasure was trying to build, so it was all about the flat rate, the flat tax rouf structure and the surplus room that couldn't be built and all this sort of stuff. So again Grand Designs was never the target of that joke. It was all within the world and using the language of that So I think that is as much as I can answer that question creatively. In this instance, it's about formats that we enjoy and being really faithful to those, because you could always get cheaper laughs by then ruining the format. But for us, it's the believability that people will often watch that, or they'll watch an antiq's road show parenty we're doing They say, man, it felt just like the real show. And I think that's really satisfying, because then once you believe the world, then you can you're free to laugh for you're free to get really dark with your choices of subjects.
Speaker 1: I do want to get onto workplace humor, but I guess another way perhaps into understanding how you think about comedy. Let's just say I do a lot of keynote speaking, and I'm often thinking how can I inject more humor into this? So if I said, hey, Sammy, you just watch this ten minute section of this talk that I have to give to some big corporate and can you help me find some opportunities to inject humor? What would you be looking for? How would you be coaching me on that?
Speaker 2: Oh? About fifteen thousand dollars? Sorry for me.
Speaker 3: Comedy is always about surprise. It's about and Tim Ferguson writes about this in his book The Cheeky Monkey, which is all about sitcoms and comedy writing. But there's an argument that every time we laugh, it's basically a primeval sort of physical reaction. It's like we think we're about to die, but we're not so because so we laugh because it's a relief love, because something has broken in the matrix of what we expect. And that's been my sense of give us since day one. Back at school, I used to pop up an assembly to do like a report but then just talk about something completely irrelevant. Or if you look back at any comedy that you likes, so much of it is about surprise. So when it comes to a keynote, if you were performing a keynote at what is ostensibly a very serious or illustrious business occasion, but then you went to the next slide and there was a picture of a frog for no reason, then I would love that now even better if that frog was related to what you were presenting on them, if there was some sort of accidental pun.
Speaker 2: So I'm really thinking on my.
Speaker 3: Feet here, But let's say you were presenting at a kitchen where conference, and I'm trying to think of what would rhyme with knife or forka matter if you were googling fork or knife or spoon.
Speaker 2: Then you got me perfect.
Speaker 3: You presently had a kitchen wear conference and you've got a very serious lde about the revenues and accounts that you're going through them, and then a picture of pig comes up and you go, oh, sorry, I was actually googling gifts for this, but.
Speaker 2: I actually wrote pork his fk. Sorry, now that's lain.
Speaker 3: However, However, then five minutes later another pig comes up. You're like, oh, sorry again, sorry, And that's the point people would laugh, because then they'll be like, oh, hang on, she's really doubling down here, like she's committing to the pork stupidity. And then five minutes later there's like five picks, and then you start talking about you know, four revenues, and then you've got suddenly a large pork revenue based and then you've got to you've got someone who starts talking about the pork industry in depth, and you're like, man, that cost me like three thousand dollars to secure in that giant pork talent and I've wasted my money and you just build the absurdity. But it all comes back to one stupid, silly misunderstanding. There's a like it all, you've got to read the room. Maybe they really want to know about fawks. But it's that moment of for me, it's the surprise, and then it's the commitment. So oh, he's a surprise. We're committing to play school talk politics. But then you do four minutes of play school going into really in depth political analysis in that form, that's the commitment.
Speaker 1: And also using a callback strategy where you're going back to what you've introduced, got a laugh and sholve that come back to it to get that laugh.
Speaker 3: Totally because you made the investments. Like it's like anything you want to like get the return.
Speaker 2: You don't know, it's not a burden. If people laugh a little bit, you can milk it more.
Speaker 1: But tell me how do you bring humor like into a staff meeting at ABC? That sounds so serious it is And well, it's all about the people you work with, of course, so I can you know my workplace here is.
Speaker 3: It's pretty heightened in terms of it's all public. You know a lot of presenters who are having to deal with, particularly in the pandemics, really serious stuff, but it's also people who are passionate about their job. And any workplace that doesn't have laughter, I think has got a problem. Like the people humans laugh, and it's how we can and it's how you even in dire circumstances. It's how we unwind and blow off steam.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's.
Speaker 3: Always that the slight absurdities or someone will make a suggestion or a slip of the tongue and there's an obvious, unintended repercussion that you could sort of bring up. But the comedy involves risk, that's the thing. It involves you being a bit vulnerable and putting yourself out there. My first and really only like office wide workplace prank of joke here was we had the security passes all switched out at ABC because of part of it like a national security audit. So we had to get new swhite cars with photos, and we all had to send our photo into the security office, and one poor guy in the building accidentally hit like the all ABC staff email and so everyone just got this giant photo him smiling like it was with my thousands of ABC employees and it's just had me like a big photo like no may cup and just like take it to the car pack or something. And then he had to send like a really sincere apology to everyone.
Speaker 2: But it gets so annoyed about being on the wrong.
Speaker 3: It was like, is this guy a big face in my and so I saw that, and I think it was like fourth th in the morning, so I still was in my pre banana sort of don't care face, but I just took a big photo of my face and just sent it back to everyone at the ABC with the hashtag I Stand with Anthony, who was the name of this guy. And I must have had more attention and comments from that from stuff that I hate they have some actual work because because it was like an in joke, it was only to ABC stuff. And it also pricked this bubble because this poor guy felt he obviously felt like bad that he does something wrong, and it was also serious and it was all of security and I just pricked that bubble. My my real hope was that everyone else, like an I'm Spartacus moment, everyone else would start sending back their head shops, but no one. No one had the carriage I really loved taking. But It's like there's a classic like no one has to be a comedian to do that sort of stuff. It's just I still had to like go, Okay, this is going to annoys some people because all people are upset about their inboxes.
Speaker 2: But it's funny, So just do it. I think you have to.
Speaker 3: It's the bit of you that stops out of fear. Back to what I was saying about fear some time ago, it's that's the bit you just have to take a breath and go, look, you know what's the worst it can happen?
Speaker 1: You know, how do you get over that fear of a joke failing?
Speaker 2: Well, you fail enough that you just know that you survived. I think that's it.
Speaker 3: It's it's back to the early gigs for me, where you know that I've done bad gigs. They'll do bad ones in future, but you know it's not the end of the world, and you know that at any given moment there are so many worst things happening in the world that someone not laughing at a crappy comedian's joke that you wake up the next day and your crack on. And I think the benefit of having a slight profile at least for ABC audiences. Now, I feel like that that they will they know me enough that unless I do some horrific joke that's completely inappropriate, they go, oh, that's been a crappy joke. But you know it's Sammy. He'll look forward to seeing what he says next. And I think until the moment no one is looking forward to seeing what we do next. Then you're going, Okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Such a great way of looking at it. Now, Sammie, I am going to finish on time because I'm just going to ask you one more question, and that is for people that want to consume more of what you're doing, what are the best ways for listeners to do that if they.
Speaker 3: Would like to listen to me five point thirty in the morning Melbourne time and dreg In might I have some listeners in Albuquerque in New Mexico, which is exciting. So it's wherever you may be five thirty am Melbourne time Monday to Friday can tune into the radio show, and that you can chine into that via the ABC website. So if you search for Sammy Joe ABC Radio, you'll find the official website and you can stream that from anywhere as to my comedy sketches. You can find those on my Facebook page, so just Sammy Jay Comedian. You search for that and find me. You can follow the page and every Thursday I put out a new sketch and that goes up there and it's also available you can watch it on TV if you're in Australia before the news on a Thursday night as well, and you can also.
Speaker 2: Listen to the radio.
Speaker 3: I just completely lost, like forgot the basic analog methods of consuming me Andmantha. But you can listen to the radio as well or TV. But online is really, let's be honest, that's where it's at.
Speaker 1: That is where it's at. Sammy. I've loved chatting to you. This has just been an absolute delight. I wish you didn't have a staff meeting, but you do, and you need to get to that long time like a loser, that's right, You've got like a job and stuff to do. So Sammie, thank you so much for your time. I've just love chatting to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Amantha. It's a genuine pleasure.
Speaker 3: As I said, it's in the comedy world, it's it's not often you sort of just get to talk through your actual sort of you know work.
Speaker 1: That is it for today's show. If you are enjoying How I Work, you might want to hit subscribe if you haven't already, because next week on the show, I have the CEO of car Sales, Cameron McIntyre, and we're going to be talking about how he keeps composed and cool under the pressure of leading a four point five billion dollar business. So hit subscribe and you will be alerted as to when new episodes drop. How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was the wonderful Jenna Cooder, and thank you to Martin Nimber who did the audio mix and makes everything sounds better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.