Speaker 1: Welcome to them. Christian no Common Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Someone who we've had on the show a couple of times, brilliant stand up comedian be here at the Melbourne Comedy Festival at the end of March. I know he's an Adelaide as well. He's a killer stand up. Deal Rook sent me missus the other day. Samny was listening to show. Heard about Footyoki. He wants to enter. He's written a song, so he's on the line now. Dear Rook, always love chant to you, mate, Welcome to the show again, dear Rook.
Speaker 3: Okay, deal Rok. How are you, mady?
Speaker 1: I'm good. Thank you very much for speaking to us. Mate. I hope you're well. Are you well?
Speaker 3: That play much better? It's just nice to know that we're sort of heading towards something that's a little bit more normal these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And how's it doing stand up again?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 3: Just I mean, it's so sad how much fulfillment I get from that one little task today, standing with a microphone in front of people. Just it lights me up so much. And it's it's also like I think I'd forgotten just how taxing this career choice.
Speaker 1: Come on, you're kidding me.
Speaker 2: You literally doing an hour out of twenty three and you want to come on here and go, oh, it's so tiring.
Speaker 1: Stood there, my feet gets so sore.
Speaker 3: Come on, that's that's very fair. I forgot who might be listening.
Speaker 1: There are people with real jobs that after do like twelve hours back breaking work.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, sure, sure, I'll accept that. But in my defense, there is also the element of, like, you know, I have, deep down have a fear of public speaking that I've somehow forgotten about that over the years of just doing standard over and over and so having you know, that break it kind of brought back some of that anxiety before going on stage. And there's definitely a lot more clenching on stage that I think, I suppose now that I have.
Speaker 2: Again, do you know what, you just sold a ticket to me. Now I know that there's extra clenching involved. I would I urge you on the posters. Actually, you know your your firm talk man as it is. But if I think you're extra frenching, then I'm coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Always called delicious for a variety of reasons, including my mutton chop buttocks, absolutely, but.
Speaker 1: What buttocks can we say? But I bet you're right.
Speaker 2: Actually, because you speak to any stand ups, their idea of hell has been asked to say something like like a school you don't really think of stand up, I don't just public speaking. Public speaking is a really different thing. It's a great stand up in the UK. Won't say his name, but you know he plays to like five thousand people, you know, and we'll do that for like one hundred and twenty dates touring the UK.
Speaker 1: He's a big stand up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, same here, Christian, Same same with you.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. He literally the worst giggie ever did he said he died He was asked us to host a school raffle for his son's school. Oh my god. They hated him.
Speaker 2: They were irritated that a dad who does stand up was doing the raffle and he was so it was his hell. So yeah, I don't understand about the thing about public speaking. But you've got you've got a new show. You're happy with it.
Speaker 3: I love it. It was a bit scary at the start.
Speaker 4: Because normally I start the new material or working through the new material around you know, August September, after Edinburgh, and suddenly I found myself having to put the show together from Jen onwards and I'm like, oh my god, maybe just be an hour of.
Speaker 3: Crowd work, you know, just chatting to the crowd. But I've been doing some sort of trial shows and they've been going for like an hour and five hour and ten. I'm like, oh, this is a good problem to have. I have to actually get rid of it now. So I'm feeling very confident and very excited about it because it is for me. Every year, my one hour shows are a little like snapshot of you know, where my life has been last year, and it basically talks a lot about, you know, the changes in my life, because the show before this year was literally an hour about how much I love being single and how much I hate cooking, and all of a sudden within a year, I've fallen in love. And I went on Mastership.
Speaker 1: Yeah noticed you went on Master Chef. You smashed it, you went through the semi finals.
Speaker 3: It does sound impressive, but the truth is, let's look at it like this, like it is not that impressive when you consider I was making all the shri Lankan curries that have complex flavors and enriched vices, and those curries were pitted up against you know, roast chickens and cheese sandwiches and look like someone's pat On. That's not to say that I was awesome right ill, Like I was no good, but I was just never the worst. Every time someone got kicked out, I stood right next to them as they were getting kicked out because I was like, we survived another one.
Speaker 1: And then the other big changed your life.
Speaker 2: I know that when I last spoke to you, I think you would just you just started to go out with someone and I could tell it was like fairly serious.
Speaker 1: So are you Are you in love now?
Speaker 5: Oh man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, very much. So it's very very off brand. It's really off brand for me.
Speaker 2: And this is part of talking to P Diddy here off brand, sorry, ladies, he's off the shelf and he's off brand.
Speaker 3: Mate. I was so excited because, yeah, like I I for starters, I'd like downloaded Tinder Premium, which.
Speaker 1: Gives you, like what is Tinder premium.
Speaker 3: Kinder Premium has a few benefits, but one of them is that you can change your location around the country the world. You know, normally tin there's just the radius lets around you. But you can say, okay, I'm going to be in Perth next week.
Speaker 1: So is that mainly made for touring bands and comedians?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, and sociopaths of course.
Speaker 1: Well the same thing, isn't it here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But the sad thing is I've downloaded it and installed it like in Jen and then fell in love like four days later. So I have an annual subscription that you know, just went to waste. Like I almost want to sell it like secondhand on eBay? Does anyone wanted in the premium profile? But you have to be a dull rook for a year.
Speaker 1: All the clenching you'd have to do.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about footy then. So FOOTI is back this week. Everyone's really excited. We're doing a thing called footy.
Speaker 1: Ok.
Speaker 2: We're asking people to pick a song, put their own lyrics to it, to really try and channel what it's like to be a fan of their team.
Speaker 1: So you like me when you came here, but everyone was like, you.
Speaker 2: Got to pick a team. You got to pick a team. Footy's really important. Okay, you've got to pick a chain. How did you pick the Hawks? How did you go to Hawthorne?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well it's really frustrating, isn't it When you first get here because everyone wants to like recruit you, and it feels like a big decision. And the thing is this, like I didn't want to use you know, whoever was leading on the ladder at the time, and yes, so I think I went for.
Speaker 5: Hawthorne, who were like eleventh in the ladder that year at the end of that year. But because they started winning straight after that, I get called a bandwagon jumper a lot. And I'm sure you're going to start copying this as a Demons.
Speaker 3: Fan, right even all of a sudden be like, oh, yeah, of course you picked the Demons could be winning, Like no, no, no, I'm the lucky charm, like you don't get it. They needed me, so I decided for me, it had to be something that's more superficial, like just the team colors or you know, the mascot or something like that, that had nothing to do with the actual gameplay of it and just something that I won't like. And the problem I had with bought On was the colors of brown and gold. Let's let's not beat around the bush. It doesn't look too pretty, does it. And it took a lot of effort for me to try and get through because you know, coming from the country like Sri Lanka. You know we've obviously you know, I just left my mum and dad and at the time, we were having the Civil war, so there was a lot of things going on my mind before I could figure out this team. And I think that's kind of the inspiration for me trying with this this power ballance.
Speaker 2: Well what a power about it? So you've gone with Aerosmith. Don't want to miss a thing?
Speaker 1: What a song?
Speaker 3: And so if anyone didn't thought, you know what he does comedy, he cooks and now sings while he clinches, So you know there's.
Speaker 2: A real cv of you know what you're u Hugh Jackman, Yes, yes, I would take that. I can be the next Wolverine Dilveren. There you go, there's the title of the next show, Dilveren.
Speaker 1: You can have that. You're welcome.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's hear your Let's hear your entry for footy. Okay, I can't wait to hear this day your lyrics said about being a Hawks fan, Yeah.
Speaker 3: How I got to it.
Speaker 6: I could pick a team based on who is winning, but that feels like God be cheating. So I look at what they're wearing.
Speaker 3: I could spend my life with the.
Speaker 6: Red and black barmers, but there's a wall back in Sri Lanka with tigers.
Speaker 1: Yet, why you're not.
Speaker 3: This brown and gold?
Speaker 7: What my heart desert? I don't want to cheer mycies. I don't like the Melndees. So I'm hawthorned baby because I don't mind the poosing wheeze, because I.
Speaker 6: Could go with Carlton Blue.
Speaker 3: I'm not Melbourne King Ruse.
Speaker 6: Now I'm hot on baby, and I'm proud of our wheeze and too.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is amazing. That is a that's a brilliant entry.
Speaker 1: And what a voice.
Speaker 3: Oh my, I wish you could see me as that was playing. My so, I was like squeezing my eyeballs, just the cringe that.
Speaker 1: It's more clenching. You can actually.
Speaker 2: You can clench your eyeballs. Your eyeballs are ripped. You got laps on your eyeballs, sorry, dilvery.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Look yeah, I felt like that's the only book authentic story of how I became.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant. Thank you very much to do with that. That is a very very good and what a beautiful It's a I couldn't describe your voice fractured. You know it's not it's not it's not strong, but it's not weak. It's fractured. Well, look, when you're at the Melbourne Comedy Festival, I will be coming seeing your new show. I love seeing you stand up. You're a brilliant, brilliant stand up. I think you're underrated. I honestly I'm a big fan of yours. I will be there at the Comedy Festival. Where and what time can people see you in Melbourne?
Speaker 1: Mate?
Speaker 3: I'll be at the Forum Theater from six thirty Tuesday to Saturday and then on Sundays the five thirty shows, So it's nice and early. It's a good one because I weirdly enough get a lot of families coming home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like you're moving into sort of matinee performances on that Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what you got you gotta go to bed early or some.
Speaker 3: Sunday clenching.
Speaker 1: On a Sunday, you got a t clench.
Speaker 2: I will be there. I'll we come and see you. You're a great stand up. I always love chatting to your deal. You're a great human beings with a killer stand up. Thanks for chatting to us and I'll see you soon. I'll see you at the show.
Speaker 5: Christian O'Connell Show Podcast