Speaker 1: Hey, legends, welcome back to the Mason cock Show. A lot of juice seeks talk today. We got Braiden absolute tease off with acid in this week.
Speaker 2: Oh that is gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: We also go Ken Henckley's back port, Adelaide gets the w over the weekend love Ken Henckley.
Speaker 2: And lastly, are we back on flag Battle? Is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: They got the big win over Sydney by a point. We're gonna break that down much much more on this episode starting now. All right, legends, let's get straight into it. Big episode. But to start off as always, welcome Brandon.
Speaker 3: What do you think I reckon? We had a pretty good weekend of footy. I mean pretty disappointed coming in here post buyers and all that.
Speaker 2: Last week you were on fire. You're furious.
Speaker 3: I just hate the big blowouts. There was a couple of you know, big scores this week. A lot of tight stuff. The rain starts coming down in winter and teams just tighten up a bit. But there's some pretty free flowing footy across the weekend, so I'm looking forward to diving into it. I want to get over to you for your clanger and I want you to start us off this way.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a rough week for Melbourne fans, lost up in Brisbane. We're gonna get into that. But also there was something else that happened. Max Gone loved the man. Big fan of Max Gone on the podcast. He loves a bit of biking, right, loves to get out there, loves a tour to France, very very out there about his love for the bicycle. And he had his kid in this video and the kids safely with the helmet on in front of him, you know, and he's filming and unfortunately from Melbourne fans, his kids singing the wrong song, his kids singing.
Speaker 2: The Mighty Blue songs.
Speaker 1: I know they're red and Blue as a team Melbourne, but he was singing Carlton's theme song and it was rough. I think you look at Max Gone and as we've mentioned a lot of people, you play a hundred games, like, hey, your kid's playing for our team, that's for sure, it's a guarantee. Well maybe not for his kid. He might be a Carlton Blue supporter.
Speaker 3: That's shocking, especially if he learnt that song. Because Carlton b your team. That's an extra bit of salt in the wounds. But yeah, i'd be banning Carton games in the house now.
Speaker 2: Patrick Cripps names and dropped anywhere.
Speaker 3: I was talking about it. Tom Hawkins, I'm pretty sure, Tom Hawkins, little girl has a Bonton Pally little soft style that she loves and carries around everywhere.
Speaker 1: And he's got thing weird whenever you see the person who probably knows that your child's a fan of them and you're playing against her and being like hates in your face around my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I don't know. Is it a big ask to have Dad's number on your back and you got a little soft toy Dad, I guess you got the real thing. So I don't know. And who doesn't have a soft toy of Marcus Bonton Pali laying around the house. I know you.
Speaker 2: My question is do you.
Speaker 3: I'm not one on trial here. Let's get into my clanger because we talked about this last week and I'm bloody that's sick of it. So now I'm naming names. We got Matthew Richardson rich Oman, he put an all time MOZ and he knew that he was doing it. See that was the biggest problem because Oscar Macinernie we love the big O. And he was going back for his first shot of goal, and Richo says, I'm going to do it. I'm going to say he's a reliable shot of goal. And he goes back and well, he's not a relarmed shot of goal because he misses his first goal for the year. Because Richo puts the MOS on it, this is we need to stop this. We need to put it out there, send a memo out to all the broadcasters, all the radio people out there watching you, no more Moses.
Speaker 2: Do we reverse jinks? Then do we say he's a terrible search shot of goal.
Speaker 3: I don't mind putting the cheeky multi on it. I can't, Mason. So when I sit at home with my house man, got a cold tin in hand, and I know I've got someone in my multi, I say, oh, he won't kick this. This like sucks. I don't even know why I put it in there. And then when he slots it through, say, I knew what I was doing. I knew what I was doing the whole time. Now that's we need a bit of that from the You know, you've got the stat sheet in front of you. It says he's a dead eyed dick, do not say that until he kicks it. And I know it's not as cool doing it after the fact, but I don't care because he won't kick it if you say it before it happens. So let's just shut up a little bit. So I'm looking at all the all the special commentary tarry people out there because they're the idiots that have to say all this stuff. Oh, he's looking he's a normal And the other thing is, most of the time they're like, oh, this bloke's a reliable kick a goal mate. When was the last time you look at the stats? He's like ten and fifteen this year. He might have been reliable six years ago when that bloody thing started when people started saying that, they say that shit all the time. They'll be like, oh, Luke Bruce doesn't miss ever, this bloke, what are you talking about? I see him miss all the bloody time. Oh, Georgi yardis, Oh he's a dead eyed dick. All the port Adelaide players, I swear what's fired Adelaide forward on the list port Adelaide. If you've seen one of their games this year, you know they're the least accurate team probably an AFL history. So let's not call them dead eye dicks because they can't kick straight. So let's give them a break. Let them kick straight, and then we'll get back on the kick straight bandwagon down the track. But I'm sick of that and I've got to put some fire behind it because they won't bloody listen because we talked about it last week.
Speaker 2: We gave love to BT last week, and now you want everyone to shut up.
Speaker 3: I'm putting Richel in the gun watch come ons. The problem is they know they're doing it because they say stuff on the lead up, like oh, I know it wasn't him, but I'm going to give him the month.
Speaker 1: He was like thirty hours. It was a very good goal. It was just oh man, I saw it and I was like, I was a big man. You just hate every people say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah you do?
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 1: You look at your film, after you look at the clips, you go, son of a bitch?
Speaker 2: Rich how you bother?
Speaker 3: Big guys just want to hit the boot, So like, don't.
Speaker 2: Just want to get close. I just want to get somewhere close that you can actually manage anyway.
Speaker 1: Now from now, you just if someone goes for a set shot, just complete silence for the thirty seconds until they kick it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, yes, unless the blokes kicked six straight on the night, then he's filled his boots and then you let him have a miss. Let's jump through the results because we've got a fair few. Brisbane just scraped over the line against Melbourne, so that was my lock. So I was pretty happy when that got over the line. We talk about North Melbourne. They're back. They were down a bit early and they clawed their way back. So the best part about that is they're not out of games. And boy does the North Melbourne crowd show up. They got some little glimmer of hope to cheer too, and they're back. So that's awesome to see. Sydney lost second one for the year against Freo Flagman. We'll talk about them a bit later, but they got the job done and they just kept answering. But it was a very close one right down to the sign your boys the Gold Coast Son's got it done over your boys the Collingwood magwise in the Mason Cox Cup. So that was a very interesting one. We'll talk about that. Adelaide GWS. I don't know where g W at the moment, I'm putting a bit of distance between me and my boys. We go to Geelong, Essendon, go see this is what you have.
Speaker 2: Fire off a little bit of beef today.
Speaker 3: That was five percent of my fire because I'm standing up for the Essendon Football Club later on in the show, and I had to slide it back to later in the show because we don't want to be demonetized and you can't say the F word in the first seven minutes, so I've slid that back later in the show because the effort to make sure there's no kids in the car. If you're listening to this one, Saint Kilda, Port Adelaide, it was good to see Kenny Hinckley boys get up. Richmond, Carlton rich my god, you feel for Richmond, but Carlton on and they're looking dangerous. Is it a bit too early for their run for finals? Don't spend all your field tickets now, Carlton and West Coast back to West Coast Ways and Hawthorne just keep hawking. So let's jump into the big talking points because I want to ask you. We talked about it a little bit last week. We said the Brisbane we're back. Have you changed your mind? Over that close game or are they they kicking go.
Speaker 1: I Brisbane's back. Brisbane's back. We can officially say it. I even might even call their home ground the Fortress. Again, We're back.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like they've they've got a bit of that energy back at home. You know, they were down at halftime by like twenty something points like that, a little bit claw back, and they did. And don't get me wrong, there was some help you could say from the umpiring Yes that got him the last gold and maybe get them over the line. But it is something. We're looking at Brisbane as a thread in the top eight, and I think they you know they actually I think they're eighth on the ladder right now. They got four wins in a row. They're on a bit of a hot streak. So and good since a bye, Yes they have been. Maybe they sat down a few beers in a circle, really hashed out all their differences and now we're figuring it out.
Speaker 3: I think Fagan was like, mate, come on, they got the blow torch on me one hundred years old. Give me a break. But it was good to see. I will stop you. You keep saying the Fortress, which isn't the is the Gabatur has portress, so they go up to the Gabatur and it's definitely back to the Gabata because it was a bit shaky there early days. People were you know, breaking in there and doing whatever they wanted to do. We will talk about the Alex Neil Bullen try that he scored on the wall because origin is on. He scored an absolute ripper, but unfortunately it was called deliberate out of bounds that led to the last goal of the game that you know, may or may not have been costly. That might that's probably fair to say, I would suggest looking at it, Neil Bullen, if he had done six or seven different things, it probably would have just been a ball in. But the way that he, you know, got around a couple of defenders and dive over the line and touched the ball down probably hurt him in the end. It was more just a look. It was a bad look, and then he got stung with a deliberate deliberate, deliberate it's not deliberate because I get annoyed with the commentators saying deliberate it's insufficient intent. What do you think it was there?
Speaker 1: I would say yes, I mean if I am him, like, if that situation right, you have to kind of like run into contact to get out of bounds. You can't just like jump over the line. I think that was kind of the way it looked. I mean like whenever you put it on the ground like a try, right, that's pretty obvious that you have the ability to handle the ball out. Yes, So I think that was the reasoning behind it. So I do agree with the umpiring. Usually in those kind of dire moments of the game, they don't get cold, right, But on this occasion they did and allowed for your man McCluggage. The big seven year deal fell out to seal the win for the Brisbane lines up there at the Gabatoire.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about seven year deals? There's been a lot made about long ass player deals. Do they I want to how do you feel about them? But who do you think they serve? Because it always feels like if a player wants to get out of it, they can if a club wants to, who gives who? Does it give the power to the player of the club or are they worth it and contracts valuable? Or can anyone just do whatever they want?
Speaker 1: The power is always with the AFL. That's we're very well aware of that. They're monopoly. That power has power over everything in everyone that is in the AFL. Now, seven year deals, like as a player, I think it benefits play because it's guaranteed, right, You're guaranteed to them out on my money for seven years, and that's like one of the biggest things I think with the contracts here in Australia compared to like the US and stuff like, you don't always guaranteed all that money. So with contracts here, since you're guaranteed, I'm always going to take the side of the player and if you get a seven year deal, I'm like, hell yeah, I'm all for that because I know you can financially set up your life for whatever it is to come in the future. It's consistent, yes, But whenever it comes to the power of staying at a place, I think that comes down to the actual clubs.
Speaker 2: They have the power to.
Speaker 1: Say essentially, you know, I don't really see you in our future, or we're going to move you on to whatever club. So it's kind of like a benefit for the player financially, but not for he still doesn't have the power to really stay there if he wants, Like, yes, technically you do with the contract, but I mean, I don't think there's many players that sign a seven year deal and go, Okay, I'm going to play in the VFL for the rest of my career. Like that's just not like for someone who's signing a seven year deal, you're obviously a good player. Therefore you probably have high standards and you're not gonna want to play in the Like the twos, it can.
Speaker 3: Get pretty toxic there because you're right, it kind of can turn into that. It's like, oh, yeah, you can diggy heels in and choose to stay if you are the player, but you know, clubs can make life pretty miserable for you if you want to stick around for another six five years waiting out your contract length.
Speaker 1: We all know who we're thinking of whenever we think of the seven year deal. I mean, I don't know, and I love the man who's all off evorit people in the world, Brody Grundy. But you can see kind of how that kind of panned out over the three clubs that he's played out in the last three or four years.
Speaker 3: Hey Melbourne and Clayton Oliver had a pretty rocky relationship over the off season, and that he just was fresh off signing a massive deal. So I think that's where the AFL is looking at it, like maybe we need to do something to rain in some of these like massive contract deals. They're already looking at Harley Reid that was ten years for one point eight million a year for ten years. What Yeah, so like.
Speaker 2: One point eight who who else is playing?
Speaker 3: But like, if you look at that and the direction of contracts, it's probably going to be a steal in ten years time. They looked at Buddy's contract.
Speaker 2: That makes sense inflation nowadays.
Speaker 3: Buddy's signed a ten million, nine year contract or whatever, and then by the end of that it was like, yeah, it'd easily earn it back.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, I don't know how much is going to be left in the rest of the CAFF.
Speaker 1: You take one point out of it, I can guarantee you probably not making finals. If you're going to take that much money, you're gonna need some people around you.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just backing it's it's the gamble of clubs that hope that the cap increases year on year, and we've seen it backfight on a number of clubs. Let's keep moving along because I want to say another big talking point out of this weekend was Port Adelaide's big win after a year out power, after a week of just being dragged through the mud the Port Adelaide football club when they at the time still sat in the eighth position, which is wild. We did throw out some question marks after last week's loss at home to Brisbane, but we just said Brisbane's back. So what did you feel coming out of that Port Adelaide team, because imagine being inside the four walls, because externally I felt relief for Kenny and I'm not even in the joint.
Speaker 2: I think we all we.
Speaker 1: All know the pressure was on kN and the team and all had to try to get a win over this next period and try to make finals. And I don't know, we talked about all the times, like I feel like it's just a it's a cyclical thing. Like around this time of year, Port Adelaid maybe is like either their top four or like if they're around the eight, like people just pounce on them for some reason. I'm looking at like Adelaide not the same situation. Yeah, Adelaide's further down the ladder and for some reason, like it's just because it's Kin Hinkley. I feel like it's like a you know, a story that's been told, they're telling it again every single year. It's frustrating Kin's been successful in getting into finals. Like do you take a team where the coach that's been successful and so, look, we're gonna keep trying with that knowing that we're probably gonna make finals every year, or do you try to essentially start afresh and then take the punt on whether or not even going to make finals.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm always probably of the side of Ken Hinkley of like he's going to be able to get them to the top eight at the end of the year, and then from there it's, you know, it's a crapshoot. Really who can kind of be in form at that time. So it was good for them to be able to get to win there at home.
Speaker 2: Ken.
Speaker 1: Obviously Adelaide Port Adelaide fans are pretty ruthless, Yeah, And I think that's part of this whole storyline is like they are they have a very high standard as to wanting to win every week, and that's fine, Like I think Ken would understand that and everyone else, but I feel like they very much can turn very quickly. Yeah, and it's like who's the first person that hits in the crosshairs. It's like usually the head coach or like the CEO or something like that, Right, they need someone to blame if they haven't won the game, and that's I think port Adelaid fans can be pretty ruthless in that. And it's credit to Kanks. He's been able to handle it for a long time and he's been in their sights a few times and being able to get through it. So you can see in his interview after you know how much that went meant to him and kind of you know, it's like mental health with the whole thing. I think like it'd be quite frustrating to see all the criticism coming at him and to be able at that win at home in front of the crowd, you know, brings a bit of positivity to the group.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting one as well, because you look at someone like Chris Fagan, who only you know a month ago was in the gun and how quick it can turn around. And yeah, I look back at some of Ken Hinckley's coaching stats. He's one of the got one of the best coaching percentages, it's around sixty odd percent. He's lost in a couple of prelims, but if you look at the teams that he's lost to, they've been some of the best teams we've ever seen have a run at it. They lost the final when Luke Shuey took a dive got the free kick after the siren kick. So they've had a couple of heartbreakers in finals. And yeah, he's coached a long time without a flag, which is I guess what a lot of people look at. But at the same time, over the course, I don't like that they've boot him, And it was something I heard on ADS and Dunk's podcast, But I don't like that they've boot him because even if you did think that it was time for change, the amount that he's done for that football cold over his like ten plus year journey. I'm thinking back to when I first started in the AFL, like they were the tops on the seats, no one was going to their games, Like it was a terrible, terrible place.
Speaker 1: Like it's a vibe now, like I want to go to port Ala games and be able to sing like the solid before.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's like they created like a cool culture.
Speaker 3: There, absolute resurgence that they had back to finals. You know, the never tearist apart, which is now being used against him and like stuff like that. It's it's pretty wild, but you know, it's always a coach's time at some point in time. But like, I wish that it could be done better. We saw it with Bucks as well, like when that was all coming to an end and it splits the fan base and stuff like that. But I hope for Kenny's sake and for the club that they can turn it around now and go on a bit of a run, because you know, we've seen it with Brisbane. They've been able to turn it around and now everyone's back on the wagon and everyone.
Speaker 1: Forgets about the conversations like some of the stories that came out earlier in the years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like we never even talked about it. There was a couple of jets from their team because Rosie was also put in the gun a couple of weeks ago, saying that he was down on numbers. But Zach Butters has not been one of those players, and he kicked a goal from center stuffage that was perfect, insane, just hit it at pace. I couldn't run that quick, let alone run that quick and try to catch a ball and then kick it from fifty was nuts. So yeah, it's cool to see that. Our boy Horny Frank he was racking it up, kicking a couple of goals. I was actually surprised they didn't win by more when you start looking at the player stats. But similar again. One last thing that I'll do in comparison to Brisbane Lions. Brisbane statistically were very strong across the board compared to last year. It was just that they couldn't put the finish on the board. And you look at that, I wonder what position Port would be in if their fords had been kicking straight, and it'd take a whole lot more strain off the whole team and Ken Inkley. It's just something that small.
Speaker 2: It makes such a big difference.
Speaker 3: It makes such a big difference. There was one moment in the game Sweet the big ruckman gave the ball back to teammate Ollie Wance and Marshall got a free kick and shot at goal and it was very reminiscent of the Collingwood game that led to the free kicking goal. It's good to see that there's some consistency.
Speaker 1: I don't know agree with the coronart as far as the reasoning for it or like the necessity to have that.
Speaker 3: I think I just needed one more paid for the year to go, like, all right.
Speaker 2: All right, there's some consistency rule whatsoever. It's a rule.
Speaker 3: We can say it's a rule doing it like it's a bit more gray area and like umpires discretion. But at least one umpire was out there watching the tape.
Speaker 2: That's probably the same. I'm part to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: But it was very interesting and I just thought a good one to you know, circle back on. Let's have a look at some of the big winners. And you've gone with an individual in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Patrick Cripps is absolutely killing it at the moment. He had forty possessions over the weekend. Thirteen clearance isn't a goal and you just he's just racking it up, just an absolute ball inside and he's he's a push for.
Speaker 2: The Brown Low.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's already got one now obviously it's a Midfielders Awards, so he's definitely take that box being there. He's just consistently Crafton's going so well at the moment. He's consistently up there. The truckers out. You know, you've got Nick who's probably you know, putting a bit of a pushbumt and probably just putting a bit of a push on. But you know, Patrick Crips is up there, and it's going to be an interesting little race to see who ends up winning that tiny metal. I don't know who it is, but it's going to be I think, I don't know. I don't want to say who it is, but Patrick Crips, if he continues on the way he's playing, there's a fair chance he's going to win it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be an interesting count because obviously Carlton are right up there. You obviously get the wins, you get more votes. He's a pretty stock standard rule to follow, doesn't have too many guys that would take votes off him. He's got Sam Walsh in there and abouts. He's a bit more of like an accumulated type guy.
Speaker 2: The kids don't get the praise that.
Speaker 3: Yeah when Crips gets out there, because he's just a big brute. It's impressive when he when he goes on a run or kicks a goal or whatever. He's one of those that carries the team across the line. Kind of the same Adam tallaw Not doesn't really get the he deserves. Then they've got a couple of inside balls that normally don't get the plaudas they deserve. Sot does a lot of flash things that carries his team across the lines. So that's interesting. I think Sydney they got Heini obviously, but then they got Warner, and they got like a million other guys in there that will just take votes off each other. So it's going to be a very interesting count if we still care about it. I'm so, it's so.
Speaker 2: Do you care about the Brown Do you think are down?
Speaker 3: I think it's massively bullshit, Like I think easily if we all just said, let's cut the bullshit. It's got prestige around it and all of that stuff. I feel like the coach's votes for me are number one. Because players votes as you can kind of they can stuff around with them votes and whoever they like and all of that stuff. But the coach's votes on the day of the game, and you're like, I'm given ten to this oppo player because he tore us up, and we couldn't stop him, and we had no answers. That's the biggest, Like, that's the biggest, most positive push you can get from a coach.
Speaker 1: Okay, what if you've got Nick Dakoss and Patrick Cripps almost tied for the Brownlow. You go into the last game of the season, both of them have an absolute kill game, but each coach goes, I don't want the opposition person to win the brown US.
Speaker 2: They go zero votes for Patrick Cripson's zero votes.
Speaker 3: The only difference is the secret keeping. So if you're an umpire, there's no accountability for who you picked because it's all like it's a pretty big secret up until the day. Whereas like on if you know, if you had Nick Dacos get forty and kick six in the last game and he gets no votes, your coach's name's right there. It's like the yeah, I gave him no votes because I'm salty as far and it's so public, So like, I still feel like that's the best one. Gary Ablett rocked up knocked up a heap of them. I think it's just the guy that tore us apart. And the best part about that is that it's not a Midfielders Award. Midfielders do get it a lot, but it's like this Ford kicked ten on us give him the votes for this Ford tour ust apart this defender, we couldn't it past the bloke, So it like opens it up a bit more.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I looked at the Brandon Maynard and I think they said it on the broadcasts. I got a Brownlow vote. Yeah, and I'm like, I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ship like that they don't they don't win the game because most people think winning the game is like kicking the goal, getting the getting it to the forwards, whereas like defenders can shut down a game and don't get any praise for it. But yeah, I just think, I don't know why the hell we the umpires are so busy doing their thing. They're looking for something completely different than who's playing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like that should be focused on adjudicating the game, not but that's whose coaches.
Speaker 3: The coaches are only looking at how can we win this game? And they go that players stopping us or that players doing it for us. So I think that's the best one in my Have you got many coaches votes.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I don't really count that stuff. I have got brownlow votes before.
Speaker 3: Interesting, we know which one you rank higher than, obviously the Brown midfielder time. So have you ever on to the Brown law ever?
Speaker 1: No, I've never got an invite. I think they're probably too afraid of what I'd wear to it.
Speaker 3: It makes sense, It makes sense that you haven't got an invite, but I thought you would have got a token one once.
Speaker 2: Token invite. Yeah, it's like I've gone for a few of them.
Speaker 3: Or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never given me on. So happy to take one, AFL. Happy to take a Brown though invite if you want.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why they would ever do.
Speaker 2: I probably annoyed with me. Give any platform.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into the other side of things because one other big winner this weekend Freemantle football flag and I'm so happy to say because we got Longie over there. Just you know, he was in the he was in the thicker things early in the season when they were grinding stuff out, signed the new deal early when they already had pressure on him. Then they were saying he was playing boring as ship football. So he's been and through it all and now they're coming out the other side, and they're looking good because they've got that defensive structure strong, and they won a game against the best team in.
Speaker 2: The league and at their home ground, at their.
Speaker 3: Home ground without their key defenders in which is wild and it's scary. I do want to see them, you know, go back home and just win it, win a solidifier, just to sure things up.
Speaker 2: But hopefully they can fix the field.
Speaker 3: And I was talking about it last week that I think that these Western based teams have the hardest run year on year on year with the travel schedule every second week. People saying, oh, you get used to it, but you're never sleeping in your own bed, You're missing your family. You can't get used to that. So whenever I was.
Speaker 1: First recruited to come play AFL, like Freemantle was one of the teams that came to the table and was like we were interested in.
Speaker 3: You, and you're like, where's that?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, that was the first thing I asked, and they said sim Perth and I said, yeah, not helping. But I think like one of the reasons I didn't go there. I mean, like this is obviously my first experience of AFL was the fact that you'd have to travel over the other week, and like I was just thinking, like, oh, that sounds like a lot, Like I could got two options staying in Melbourne where you played. You know, seventy five percent of games at Hell in the same like city or year century travel fifty percent of the time. So it is a detriment to Freemantle.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I look at this game.
Speaker 1: This is a statement game for them winning by one point at Sydney, like five. We'll talk about he stopped. Heeney had six disposals at half he he did, and then had twenty for the match. It's a season low for him, which is and then five on top of that picked up twenty three of his own.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So he's copped a bit of criticism and like hate for the last little bit. But you can't deny that his role in helping them win that game was impeccable.
Speaker 3: Fair to say he needed it and try to move him around the ground a fair bit. He was known primarily early as a midfielder that could that was amazing and overhead marking. They moved him forward. Not a great kick it goal very fair to say, I think, and that's coming from me also not a very good set shot, kick a goal. Haven't had the reps. But yeah, he just lost that aerial contest when he was up forward as well, So it was great to put him back in the midfield, give him a job and he dominated at it. I hope for everyone's sake, everyone wants to see Nat five play footy, so I.
Speaker 2: Hope everyone loves the best.
Speaker 3: So hopefully, you know, that's his whether that's his new role week in week out, or whether that just helps him, you know, find a bit of form and like start accumulating some of the footy. You know, a good Nat five is only good for Freo. So it's good to have him back in there. It wasn't without you know, every game this weekend had a bit of something, a bit of spice to it and Logan McDonald. Firstly, the lead up to this play was brilliantly called I think it was, was it Jack Ree? Well, it was someone was saying, you need to watch Nick Blakey off the back of this stoppage, He's going to run through to get the ball, and he just did exactly what he said and he found Logan McDonald around forty eight and was standing on the mark so we had to kick it from about fifty three. Now. He was talking to the umpire the whole time because we know after the siren you're allowed.
Speaker 2: To move off your line to Jeremy Cameron.
Speaker 3: And then kick onto your line. So we learned that last week where Jess was allowed to do whatever the hell I wanted, But this was a bit more important. It was to win the game, or draw the game, or evidently lose the game. All he had to do was score. Unfortunately, trying to get that extra bit of juice seemed to spray out to the right and didn't score Freeman or win away from home. Amazing result for Freer, but you pulled out something pretty special in this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a few kind of little I love the good Field moments of the AFL. Right, you talk about some of the the impacked AFL clubs have in the community and Bareley Banfield went to Perth Hospital and want to say it was with a Starylight foundation and made a promise to Nicholas was this kid that was in there, right and said, you know, if I score goal, do the celebration. It was kind of like the Spider Man celebration with the hand and there's a great photo of him doing it on the ground, and then they also had the video of him promising it to the kid at the same time, and I don't know, I just kind of look at that. I'm like, obviously a family, a child who is going through a tough scenario and tough situation and time in their life. To have something like that bring such positivity by doing something as small as an action like that on a field like it kind of gives you that feel good moment of just knowing like you can make such an impact with such a little amount of effort by being on such a big platform that is the AFL. So I just want to give a little shout out to Bailey. Awesome to do that in a game. I'm sure it would have, you know, made their week or their year or whatever it is. And you know, credit to you and hopefully you know you get the I guess the credit that you know you deserve whenever it comes to looking after these kids and doing those kind of things in the community.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. We saw Gwelfie do it earlier in the year with his painted nails and obviously former teammate of yours, Chris Maine, MAINEI one of the all time legends and nicest guys on the planet Earth, big starlight guy over there in Perth. So awesome to see love good news story and speaking of good news stories, jeez, bulldogs needed one of them and they got there, all their tolls back all at once. Was the big timber, and we like to pump up the big boys. It is a tall guy podcast. Obviously, two tall kings here, Aaron Norton, he's back. Sam Darcy doesn't get much taller? Are you taller than Sam Darcys in the AFL who's counting Jamara? And Rory Lobb And they move Rory around a bit.
Speaker 2: A surprise with Lobby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would I've said it a million times before, like to see Aaron Norton back, but I don't think we're ever going to see it. But we did see Rory Lob back.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, Alex Keith and Ryan Going are out right now with injury, so all of guys Liam Jones are the back line, so it was good to see. They kind of needed that second toll back there and Lob you know, with the other tolls on the forward line, like you can't four tolls in the tall in the Ford line seems like entirely too much, so he surprisingly essentially went back and he had it was what five intercept marks and twelve intercept possessions. So as a tall fellow down back, it's a pretty good statute for a game. So we might see him there for the next few weeks and kind of have a reinvention of who we think Royal Lob is as far as the player and where he plays on the field. But you know, according to the weekend, you know, I think you're going to see Beva putting him back there for the next little chunk of time in the in the Bulldog's lineup.
Speaker 3: So wow, he's been in a fair few different positions over his time up in GWS up Ford.
Speaker 2: But you have to be versus you've got nothing.
Speaker 1: You've got Darcy, You've got Jamara, who are legit key forwards. And I mean it kind of brings me back to me, like I remember when I first came to the club, people are like, oh, he's going to be a ruckman. He's the tallest person to ever play. And now I looked ahead of me and it was Jared whitzen Brodie Grundy, yeah, and I'm going those two people are AFL level and they're going to play AFL every week. So I was like, well, what's the what's my way of being able to get into the team. I had to learn forward craft, So essentially my first year said you know, I'm going to learn some rock stuff. I must have been a decent amount of time trying to figure out how to play forward and that's kind of what I think Lob's doing now. He's going, well, you know, it's it's stacked heavily up top with with tall forwards that they're going to see the future of. He's kind of maybe a bit older than them. He's going, Okay, where do I fit in this team to be able to play AFL every week? And at the moment, I think it is in that back line. So we're going to be interested see kind of how he goes.
Speaker 3: That's weird. I would have thought you would have picked running up and down the wing all day with that tank and speed and.
Speaker 2: A lot better take. Not so much anymore.
Speaker 3: Let's talk through the big losers for the week.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it, brighton, Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Come on, I actually don't even know what's happened. What they call him? There was an orange ripple.
Speaker 2: It's not mine.
Speaker 3: We don't like. We don't like that. We don't like the ripples.
Speaker 2: Let's break it down. What's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Well one, where's the tsunami? Where's the wave, where's the push, where's the pressure? Where's what are we doing? But you know, they started the season on fire, and I thought it was going to be a continuation of last year because what's changed, not a lot. They've still got all the guys out there on the park.
Speaker 1: Great start to the year, five.
Speaker 3: Wins and then six losses from the past eight. That's not a great record. That's that's a losing record from that. So yeah, I don't like where they've gone and the opponents that they're versing. I don't want to disrespect them, but they're not really like they should be winning some of these games. So yeah, I actually don't know where they're at at the moment. We saw some you see some magic from them each week because they're a team full of stars. So are you.
Speaker 2: Going to stay on it? Are they still your team?
Speaker 3: It's pretty hard to stay on them. They're not given change. They're not really like humping through any decent scores or anything. They're just getting like start, They've got some of the most exciting forwards and I love what Jesse Hogan's been doing this year.
Speaker 2: He's a store.
Speaker 3: To be fair, Toby Green's probably been pretty down on previous year's performances. He did kick a massive goal from outside fifty that was definitely something that only Toby Green could do. But you know, he's string together a fair few weeks of no goals and like, yeah, I don't know what is happening at the moment. They've still got all the pieces to the puzzle, so it should be able to click back into place. So I don't know if it's just a big reset, but they've come through there by period. So that's normally when the you sit down and circle the wagons up. But it's yeah, it's not great. They're still there, still pushing out some memes. So I'm waiting.
Speaker 2: That's the media team still going out.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the last cog. If that falls down and we stop stop seeing memes, you know we're in trouble because that's that's all they've got at the moment, is the memes. So let's hold fire to see how that goes. We do like seeing Adelaide back up in about because they're an exciting team and we were just waiting for the return of Isaac Rank.
Speaker 1: He's one of our favorite players in the league at the moment, and over the weekend you just had some of those just iconic moments from him of just being able to slip tackles and kick goals from like angles, and he's just exciting to watch those players like him and pick It and Bobby Hill and like all these guys who are those small forwards that you just see them with the ball and you go, there's an infinite amount of possibilities of what's actually going to happen once he gets it, and he might juke three people, he might sell candy, he might just sit there and just take a set shot. You just don't know, and that unknowniker just just having no knowledge of what's going to happen next is exciting for I think the fan to watch and they just do things that you just know that other people aren't capable of, and it was good to see him return to that over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Like it just was.
Speaker 2: I just loved it. It's so much fun to watch him.
Speaker 3: I think it's yeah, well, I've been told it's one of the hardest positions to play on the ground. And then I feel like once you see a small forward, there's a moment where it clicks. The confidence, Yeah, confidence to take it on, have the shots, like not be worried about. You know, they set up more goals than most, but it's yeah, when they get on a chair. See with Cody Waitman, he's got complete confidence of what he's doing and he flies for everything and he can kick him from anywhere. Love that position on the field, and there's none better than Isaac Rankin who's kind of getting up into the midfield and doing whatever he wants. West Coast Eagles rough week for them. They kind of resorted back to a bit of the West Coast of old at home. People are saying that they're very competitive at home in previous weeks, which they have been. Oscar Allen coming back into that forward line mix and he's been pretty good early to get his hands on the ball. Accuracy is another thing. You know, you got to anticipate that he's going to be rusty limited precs.
Speaker 1: I just think that him and Waterman obviously Wanderman's been killing it. Like you look at those two players in the same forard line, You're going, oh, we're going to get at least probably six goals out of them every game, but unfortunately they only had one over the weekend between them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a bit of.
Speaker 1: A you know, how do we have this cohesion kind of come together in the forward line and where do we kind of see it kind of going because you can sometimes whenever you have a big players kicking a lot of goals, like Warriman, then you bring another player in, like you know, your decision of who you're kicking into in the forward line becomes a bit unknown. Yeah, and you go, okay, wait do we constantly go to this person and we look for other options? And then is everyone else set up around it? So it's going to take a little bit of time for them to kind of understand to think what the look inside fifty is going to be. But it definitely doesn't help whenever you only take one mark inside fifty in the first three quarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a good size that's you've got.
Speaker 1: Maybe you've got Jack, Jack Darling and Bay the Williams also playing, say flying Ryan, it's yeah, it's a lot of tolls in one team. I mean you looked at the Bulldogs we just talked about and like they had to move one of them to the back line just to be able to fit them all in. So it's going to be interesting the decisions at West Coast make as far as who's going to be playing in their fore line and how it kind of all comes together.
Speaker 2: But it's a bit of watch the space.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, because it's obviously not just the ford line problem, Like you need to get the mid forward connection working pretty well, and when last year they were demolished by injuries, so there hasn't been that continuity between any of the players really out there except for training when they've all been together. So give it time. They've definitely got the pieces there. That forward line is pretty dangerous and then if you get the mids cracking, see what they can do over the off season Harlee Reid and Cali it's going to be exciting. We'll move on to Melbourne because very disappointing. They're on a pretty disappointing run at the moment. Harrow's Brisbane just got over the line. Like fortunately for Harrison, he only watched the parts where Brisbane were good, because in the middle Melbourne was actually pretty competitive up in Brisbane, which I didn't anticipate coming off the last couple of weeks. Melbourne have had a couple of terrible performances, to be frank, but going up there, they were very competitive and leading for a sizable chunk of the game and they just kind of pretty much gave it away at the end.
Speaker 1: O lead by twenty three at half, and I think it was like in the teens, I want to say, three quarter time. So Melbourne had the game in their hands for most of the night and then it wasn't til the very end where Brisbane took over and kind of came. I think it was like seventy five seconds left in the game where Hugh kind of ended up kicking that goal that sealed it. But yeah, it's been an interesting one ever since that kind of Queen's Birthday game or King's Birthday sorry apologies, and Petroka going down. There's been a few things with Melbourne that just haven't really been clicking. So I don't know at this point what's happening. I think they're sitting like twelfth on the ladder, I want to say right now, and obviously it's a very close ladder, but they're gonna need to get some ones on the board to make this top eight and it's going to be an interesting little run home for him. And I will say a little bit of positivity out of the Melbourne camp though, your boy, your boy pick it kicked five over the weekend, so bags, so dangerous bag for picket kicking five and he just I think he kicked like three in a quarter and just looked unstoppable. He's just sitting there and going left right. We talked about these people being so exciting him and Rochelle and everyone else, and he definitely proved it on the weekend. I think he snapped on from like forty just casually, just why not, you know, you just get the confidence to do it, just snapped from anywhere. And a big fan, big fan of picket and kicking your bag.
Speaker 3: The ground ball pickups just so clean. And I love a snap from distance that travels really quick. It's not one of the ones that floats through the air. It's like a dart snap. And yeah, when he gets on a roll, he gets on one hell of a roll. And yeah, I'm interested to see how defiant Melbourne's going to because as soon as Petrarca went out, they said, let's just see this is a bit of a build year. We'll see what we learn. Be interesting to see if Melbourne kind of step up and say no, we're not just going to go quietly, because they did move Rivers into the midfield and he's been really great. He's been great through there. Unfortunately ran a bit too far when he was having a shot kicked. The goal didn't count because you can't just keep running. Although you said we should scrap the bounce, we just put ideas out there.
Speaker 1: We put ideas how Australian is an American telling them about their sports.
Speaker 3: Now, this is the one that I want to get into because I'm not sure if you saw this Essendon Geelong game, and people have been waiting for them to kind of prove their credentials. They're still sitting up the very high end of the ladder, the.
Speaker 2: Top four last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's what when teams they come up against it of the ilk of you know, Geelong, like Collingwood, Brisbane. The teams that are up there, they just sit back and wait to see what Essendon can produce. Now, I was already to give whoever lost this one a bit of a mulligan because the weather was shocking. When you have a couple of those games and it might be a blowout, but it's it's as simple as like a long ball dribbles through or it goes over the back, or like mistakes happened.
Speaker 2: So one kicked over one hundred points. That I mean, like, that's pretty good, I'd say.
Speaker 3: Which is very it is, it is very good. Most of theirs they got on a roll. Now, this is where I want to start to get into this one because break it out. Essendon and Geelong. They were very close. Essendon were leading chunks of the first half. Then it all got to a point, a tipping point of the game where they I think it's fair to say i've ever seen in recent time a team get fucked that bad. Look. I don't have skin in the game when it comes to s and then hey, all the best, good luck try Winter Final. When it comes to this game, I think I got skin in it because I can't just stand by and watch someone get that brutally just screwed over repeatedly and not say something, see something, say something, Mace and I saw something in this game, because we'll break it down. Incident on incidents, third quarter comes around. Games still very much well and truly on Draper standing by himself in the forward line. Beauty gonna have a big mark Zach two. He comes through front on contact every day of the week. Nah, all, ballly reckons. Let's not call that a free kick. What always happens in those circumstances, balls spit, fire down the other end. Gelong goal. All right, we can cop that. That's a two goal swing. Don't even stress about it. There more deliberate rush behind What is that? You can feel his breath hit in the back of his neck. I would say that that's pressure. Ah, let's give that a deliberate Okay, that's that's another goal. That's fine. Then immediately after that, Ridley gets the ball, is wrapped up in a tackle, does a three sixty. We saw that forty times last week. Not paid holding the ball, bang goal. Okay, that's that's three goals back to back to back.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 3: Oh well, and we're seeing them. We're paying them. Are we goes up the other end? Bowie dropping the ball? What do we call nothing? Didn't see anything. What are you out in the back having a late sir, Because that's holding the ball every day of the week. Okay, let's not call that. Let's pump it back in there again. Oh Stewart, No no, no, no, hold no, not holding the ball? Okay, spits out to Atkins. Atkins holding it, tackled nothing, dives on it. What are we going to do? Let's call that nothing. What are we doing?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 3: It's like one umpire up one end was calling everything and the bloke up the other end knocked off early and went with Harrow down to Sorrento for the weekend because he was calling nothing. And you know what it bloody did. It destroyed the game. I thought. You look on the app, you look at the stats and you're like, oh jeez, Essendon rough they just didn't show up, got flogged by forty odd points. Well, I'm telling you who did the flog, and it was the bloody umpires and they flugged this shit out of them. Now I can say that, I can say that with confidence. That's not what this man said.
Speaker 2: Let's make that clear. We haven't talked about this rant.
Speaker 3: We haven't talked about this rant. And I don't like to put it on the umpires, but come on, essenon, fans, I just want to look you down the barrel because someone's got to apologize to here, and I just want to say sorry, I'm so sorry for the way that you were treated, and we'll try our best to not let that happen again. And the thing that is happening every week, the AFL doesn't have to come out and justify every bad call or whatever, but they come out and they justify the absolute stinkers. And it seems like they're coming out and justifying absolute stinkers every bloody week. So let's just pull it back on the stinkers. Let's just play some bloody footy, would we.
Speaker 2: Do you think more umpires than that Brandon?
Speaker 3: It's helping the game. I'm not even talking about that because we talked about it last week. Anyway, that's the end around. I hardly even said the F word in that you're you're.
Speaker 2: One of those fans. I definitely don't want to sit next to it a game.
Speaker 1: That guy, that guy scream at the umpire the whole day, the seventies in the first quarter. Just get me away from this man. There are children are out braided.
Speaker 3: I am like the most low key football supporter ever, but when you see a couple rack up back to back to back, it's like if I was an Essendon fanatic. Yeah, oh my god, I'm so glad they got security to get those guys off the field because we talk about looking after them. Get them out of there because that was rough. Anyway, that's my round, So I'm giving a mulligan for that one. We'll blame it on the weather.
Speaker 2: That's what it sounded like.
Speaker 3: But that's it. Let's jump into the Collingwood Footy Club because talking about mulligans they go up there. Now, I feel this is unfair because I still think people aren't giving Gold Coast the credit where credits due. Gold Coast at home is a very difficult team to undefeated up there. What's the gold Coast? Yeah, but what's like a you know, we got the gabatoire, We've got the portress. Like, we need a pun name for you probably can't work people's first into there, but we need to someone chuck that in the comments section. We need a name for the Gold Coast Son's home stadium that's puney with gold Coast something anyway, we'll talk about this game, because where did you watch it? For starters, I was a help, didn't get the free ticket up to the Gold Coast.
Speaker 2: I mean there was a question that was asked.
Speaker 1: Asking, look, you know, I just if maybe there's an extra spot on the plane, you know, don't do my rehab up there. You know, I help out the rockman, you know, help them get over get over there and play against big Witzy.
Speaker 2: And they go looked at me and said, you have no chance.
Speaker 3: So how did you see it rolling out?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 3: Because one thing I noticed very quickly. Collin was obviously known for their pressure and they run up to the ball carrier carrier frontel pressure get right up in their face cause the turnover Gold Coast hands with that sleep and there was always an extra person over the top. They were always well supported, and it it just kind of picks its way through that pressure game. Like how did you see?
Speaker 2: I think it was?
Speaker 1: I mean, like I wasn't there, but like whenever I was watching the game on television, it seemed as every time there was this pressure situation, the Gold Coast Suns were able to handle the way out of it. And then from there they can get through that kind of midfield line and then were able to access people like Kingy.
Speaker 2: Over the weekend you kicked four goals.
Speaker 1: So I think that was one of the things I still out to me the most is their ability to handle the pressure and be able to work their way through. It was just super impressive, and it was something that just seemed like every time, you know, we usually get that you know, holding the ball call or something like that, to be able to get us to keep it in our half, it just seemed like they were able to get out and be able to continue on going forward and gaining you know, territory on us.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was tough to see.
Speaker 1: It's always tough watching like the boys that you play with and then you're not there and you're like they're away at Gold Coast and you're sitting there and you know, whenever you lose the game, you just kind of like you have this like feeling of like just you can't do anything. You're so far away and you're like, well, I'm still in rehab, still hanging like try to be supportive. You know, it's like it's a really empty feeling. I feel like being on the sideline and not being able to be a part of.
Speaker 3: It, especially when you're the first in back of the club and they're all coming back into town and you're like, ah, you'll get them next week, first after our bus. Come on, lads, chet up, lads. But yeah, no, it was a very frustrating game, but it is all you know, credits a gold coast like the game that they played amazing. Noah Anderson, Oh my god, please calm down.
Speaker 1: Thirty nine disposals, eight marks, five tackles. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: And yeah, the talent that they've got coming through Dimmer must be licking his lips.
Speaker 1: Flanders was very good on the day too. He played very well. All I can picture is Ned Flanders from The Simpsons, but he was a good player of the week hed but Nick Nick Dekos, obviously we all know he's a very good player. Scored two goals, thirty two disposals, had that one out of the center that just went bang, bang bang.
Speaker 2: You know, Sol Candy kicks a goal like he'sld around, still does his thing.
Speaker 3: Some of the most elite commentary as well, when he's like they're gonna get nicked, He's gonna get it back. They've been de cossed some of the most elite commentary and he he he was already a great player. We already know that he's ahead of his time given how young he is, but he's finding a knack of when all your senior leaders have been out, most of the thirty plus gang have been out, he's been finding a way to carry the team close to the line and sometimes over the line, week in week out, and it's been really impressive. He's got off the chain a couple of last quarters. He's trying to. He's still a young player, and he's navigating breaking a tag and things like that. Week in week out. He's learning new stuff. It's very it's hard to fathom how he's still going to have a lot of growth in his game for a player that's already that bloody good.
Speaker 1: If you look at demo over the weekend. After the game, he had his interview as personally in press conference and essentially said, yeah, if the game's on the line's the fourth quarter, obviously Colin was going to make a bit of a push, and he talked about essentially tagging Dikes and Degoie because they're big game players and think.
Speaker 3: That go he got too oh unreal.
Speaker 1: But I think it's like it's it's I think it's him hearing another coach say that, like that's a confidence booster for you, right, saying like, Hey, I'm a game changer, I'm a game changer player. I'm a big game player in that sense, and and teams are definitely worried about it whenever it comes down to the porty ends.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's was. It was a frustrating watch.
Speaker 1: Ben King played really well, I will say, for them, like I said, kicked four goals on the night, and we just couldn't couldn't get past and couldn't a player pressure enough to be able to, you know, I guess get the win over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Ben King is like oddly underrated, and it's only because he plays for the Gold Coast Suns. But like up there in the Coleman, he might be leading the Coleman, he's tearing the comp apart, but everyone's kind of quiet up there, which I am sure Dimmer must be absolutely loving a bit of praise. Now that you mentioned it that Nick Dakos got imagine hearing Gary Ablett say that he reminds me of a young me. That's pretty wild and yeah, last week, and I was just pretty crazy to hear.
Speaker 2: I just want to double chuck.
Speaker 1: He's coming for senior doing wrong, but I think he's in a concussion lawsuit.
Speaker 2: Happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Isaac Smith said throughout the week that they had a double tag on Gary Ablett Junior once in a game, so they were both rotating on and off the bench because they would just run until they blew up and swamped and Gary Ablett still had forty and kicked four on them casually. That's wild. So imagine hearing that from the Little Master. That's absolute praise.
Speaker 1: It's one of the nicest humans you ever met, too. Absolutely, he actually is like one of the nicest people.
Speaker 3: And one of the quietest, which is like we talked about it the other week that it just builds the folklore around the around the person.
Speaker 1: Over like, so maybe the story for another podcast running into him and the off season. And yeah, he's essentially coming off a super yich. It's a it's a whole thing. It was wild, but that's absolute legend.
Speaker 3: Let's jump out of this week because we'll move on with the That week is in the rear view mirror the past. We moved ahead into this week's games and none. I was going to say none bigger, but Collingwood Carton's coming up in a month and that's that's going to do numbers. Actually, we should get some tickets because that's going to be worth some money. So I don't know if we just on sell those, not that you can, so let's just not say that. On the podcast Collingwood essenon this week Friday Night Underlies Jeepers. Both teams doing well, both teams in the eight. You guys are still in the a yeah, just checking but not the NXACT day game, but still.
Speaker 1: Be I assume it's going to be a sellout Friday night thriller. Two teams obviously big supporter bases on a big night and kind of big implications for both teams. You know that the top eight's very tight and calling with both last last week, so they're looking for a win there at the mcg. It is our home game, want to believe, so hopefully a lot more calling with supporters and Essendon, but yeah, it's going to be a massive one. They're very good team accident. I think everyone's definitely seen their capability this year and they're definitely performing very well. So it's going to be one of the biggest games of the weekend. I'd say the biggest game of this weekend. I would comfortably say that, I think.
Speaker 3: Biggest game in terms of numbers. There's some interesting games this weekend. I will say there will be some pressure in that game. Both teams are going to crank it up to eleven. It'll be a great game to watch. I will tip Collingwood in the Obviously we're going to North via the Suns. Scene were talking about interesting games. It would not surprise me if North turn around and win this game at home after the impressive performance from the Suns. That's how tight this competition.
Speaker 2: Is at the moment.
Speaker 1: Mason, I think I don't want to now. I can't go against my Signs. I can't go against the Signs.
Speaker 2: It is at Marble.
Speaker 1: Stadium with North Melbourne being their home ground, and I think I don't know this. If the Signs get this W I think they probably are making the eight. I want to say they might be in the eight at the moment, they're.
Speaker 3: Right on the the A. I just want to want.
Speaker 2: To see the Signs make their first finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, series, I think that's just like over the whole league, whoever you support. I think everyone's kind of like, look, we want the McDonald's look people like to show up in the final.
Speaker 3: Imagine if the Suns make finals and Essendon wins, one would be interesting, big little final series that one.
Speaker 1: Ah man, I think the AFL would be absolutely stoked. But I've got I've got the Suns winning this. But I think it'd be a close game. Yeah, I would. You think it's going to be down to the wire. North by no means it gonn get blown out the way they're playing the plane and keeping in the games and being able to take people to the line. But I think the Suns, yeah, they'll get the w. But I'll go it's gonna be like a ten point difference. Maybe I'm going to give it to North.
Speaker 3: And it's because North's fans are really getting up and about. That's given some you know, some adrenaline to their team. And I don't know about the Gold Coast Sons on the road at home, absolutely on the road, struggling a bit, struggling a bit. Let's move over to Port Bulldogs because oh my god, we're talking about storylines. Here's your bloody storyline. One coach was on the ropes at the start of the season, and then one coach is on the ropes now. So we've got Port v. Bulldogs. Don't know what we're to get from either team, but hopefully it's an interesting game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got I love I just want I love Ken Hinkley. I just want Ken to get some love. We're gonna I'm gonna Port Adelaide at Adelaide, so that definitely helps. I've got I think the winner of this makes finals of a statement, but I think they're both around that eight and the winner of this game might be the decider as to who makes finals.
Speaker 3: I can I can get around that if Bulldogs win, because that to me shows that they've turned a corner. Yeah, they've you know, they're having a bit of a run. They're having some good games, they're kicking some good scores. So I'm going to go to the Bulldogs in this one huge.
Speaker 1: I just think it Port wins at home in front of a crowd, They're all going to love Ken again, and then that momentum kind of continues on the make.
Speaker 3: The latter is that bloody close. It's all one team's doom and gloom. The next week they win, They're like.
Speaker 2: Four, we love you, Let's sign them again.
Speaker 3: Let's get into Geelong v. Hawthorne the Kennet Curse. I've been dead and buried for a while, but this one is so bloody interesting because Geelong obviously good win last week before that bit of a stinky form patch. But Hawthorne, probably the most informed team in the camp outside of Sydney obviously just went and lost on the weekend. So very very interesting game this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be. It's a danger game for Geelong. Geelong at home that definitely helps them to Hawthorne. Like you said, it has been on an absolute tear at the moment.
Speaker 3: So danger game.
Speaker 1: Oh it is a pun to even mean it, but I definitely got it. Oh man, that is punny. Now Geelong, I have to go, We'll win this one.
Speaker 3: This is interesting. I'm going now.
Speaker 2: I want to like part of it.
Speaker 1: I just want to say Hawthorne if I'm like far out, like Geelong, big win last weekend against US, and like and Hawthorne. You know you just kind of Hawthorne is the underdog. You just want to see the underdog win all the time, don't you. So I wanted to go Geelong, close game, but I can't look past the experience I have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right and Hawthorn, let's just keep going with form GWS, Carlton, this one hurts.
Speaker 2: So Sydney, give you a little bit of help.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem to be helping them stadium. Come on, well, Carton's just turning up. They're turning up and they're getting big scores on the board. They're full of confidence. Their forwards are turning it on. This year they get all the momentum. They can put scores on the board really quickly.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, IFS loses this game, do you think they'll make finals.
Speaker 3: It's a hard one because they're, like Carlton's pretty much as good as it gets in terms of what the competition's doing now. But I will say, oh, back in GWS this week and that's my last week if they If they.
Speaker 2: Lose this week, you're off. Yeah, we're gonna remember that.
Speaker 3: Free Richmond for me, this is my luck I got in there. Three Oh is my luck over in Perth. They'll get this one. Uneasy, poor Richmond. But Freo on fire. They've had a good run and now they're primed for a massive scalp at home just to lock things away.
Speaker 2: I thank you.
Speaker 1: I've got to go Freemantle on this one too. Richmond toughle of trot at the moment, but Freemantle's on fire. Been sitting near home. That's a big scalp, big scalp. So got to go for hout.
Speaker 3: Not a lot from you to pick your luck. I've got Melbourne v West Coast in Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Could it be No, it's not.
Speaker 3: All wow, Nope, keeping it going. I'm going to back in Melbourne though. Melbourne. They you look at that game on the weekend and that's a really good performance. That's a really good performance. They didn't get the win, but it's still a strong performance. Come home, beat West Coast, Happy days. Move on.
Speaker 1: West Coast only scoring thirty something points this week definitely hurting them. They're going to figure out some synergy between their forwards and mids and I don't see them being able to do that with the bigs of a lot of the may and lever in the back line. That's going to be pretty tough. I've got Melbourne beaaten West Coast on this one at the MCG.
Speaker 3: Good to have the duo back now Saint Kilda, poor old Saint Kilda, I reckon the most boring ticket in town. We can't We've got to be getting scores above your forties fifty sixties. And it's not just them, they can't score. Everyone they verse gets dragged down to their low score level.
Speaker 1: So we're just saying every game they play, both teams just look a bit lack.
Speaker 3: Last year, yeah, it's boring, it's a grind. Dimmer brought it up the other week when they had the soul sucked out of them for a game. But then they come out the next week and they just put a massive score and it's like, you can do it, you can do it, and you choosing not to do it. So let's turn up the heat. Because when you play fast footy and you're kicking goals, your team looks exciting and you're winning games of footy, what's the alternative You're playing this sole sucking, low scorer and affair and you're losing and you're down the bottom of the ladder and you're probably one of the most disappointing teams this year. So that being said, I'm going to say Sydney wins this one pretty comfortably. Against Saint Kilda Home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I'm gonna yeah, I've all locked this one in. I'm gonna lock this one in as the cock clock of the week, Sydney versus Saint Kilda. Yeah, like you said, Sant Kill's been struggling. Sidney's gonna be pretty furious the fact that they lost a free mail at home.
Speaker 2: By point.
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna come out a bit of fire in the belly and just absolutely smack Saint Kilda. Just get their confidence back and be the Sydney that we've we've been seeing all year and get that confidence rolling again. So got to go Sydney over Saint Kilda here, and I'm gonna say big win.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope Sydney can breaks the voodoo and get some score on the board against the soul suckers. We go to Brisbane via Adelaide. Now I thought you would have locked this one in. I reckon Brisbane gets this one easily up there at the Gabbatoire and Adelaide has been okay, but I think they've been inflated. People have been saying how good Adelaide is, but they actually haven't been that great. They've been losing games at home. They have a good performance here, there and everywhere. That makes people it's fresh in their mind that oh this team is good, can be good. They've got an exciting forward line mix. But yeah, I just don't think they're up to Brisbane standard, because I think Brisbane are well and truly back.
Speaker 2: I think there's a little gap.
Speaker 1: We're talking about like the top twelve teams being very close, and there's a gap of like ten points from like thirty two points to like twenty two points, and Adelaide is at that twenty two So they're kind of the two games off from the rest of that kind of group that's in between each other trying to make that top eight. So yeah, I mean it's half Brisbane at home. Obviously they want to think last four straight, I want to say, and they're on a bit of a tear. So you gotta go Brisbane on this one up at the Gabatoire, as you say, and Adelaide, Yeah, it's gonna be it's gonna be a struggle, but for a time I think, you know, hopefully they can get some wins on the board at the end of the season, but they definitely have a tough schedule going forward.
Speaker 2: I've got Brisbane winning this one.
Speaker 3: Good weekend of games with plenty of storylines in there.
Speaker 1: I'm excited it's gonna be a big game Friday Night for Collingwood versus Esten and I'm excited to get to that one and be able to see that that's going to be a story within itself. Yeah, but it's gonna be a big game for footy. But that is it for us for the podcast US today, Thank you so much for listening in. As always, thank you for being a part of the community. I'd like to share all that kind of stuff to where your friends family tell them to listen to the pod, and I just want to say a massive, massive thank you for being an absolute legend. But that is it from us today. Until next week, May your footy tipping go very well and may you have an incredible weekend.
Speaker 3: Cheers