Speaker 1: Hi, guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura and.
Speaker 1: I'm Brittany, and we are happy to be back in the driver's seat.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, some weeks.
Speaker 1: I feel like I haven't recorded for weeks on end, and other weeks.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I swear we did this episode yesterday. It creeps up.
Speaker 1: It's the same day every week and it creeps But you know what, it's been a long weekend just passed, and I just quickly want to say and give my condolences, my congratulations to every single parent out there who normally has their child in daycare and a Monday and then they're stuck with their own kid because daycare is shut. Mondays are such a crappy day to have your kids in daycare because you always get shafted with public holidays.
Speaker 2: Well, those of us that don't have kids, we don't have that.
Speaker 1: Please tell me about the awesome public holiday you had, no long we can. Yeah, we don't all have those issues. So I guys, the time has finally come.
Speaker 2: I was about to say if you've been following along.
Speaker 1: My journey, but if you're listening, I'm sure you've been following along.
Speaker 2: My bloody journey. Anyway, you guys know that I.
Speaker 1: Was I am heading over to see Jordan finally, and that time has come, so I am going in just a few days time. I'm running around like a chicken with his head cut off. I have so much to do, We have so much to do for the podcast. I feel very, very disorganized and not ready for what's about to happen.
Speaker 2: But I'm so excited. We are always disorganized.
Speaker 1: There's nothing about that sentence that should come alarming to anybody who's listening to this podcast or has been since the beginning. This is just how we roll people from day one. But you know what, I was just thinking.
Speaker 2: This is the funniest story.
Speaker 1: Surely most of you have heard this by now, But I was just thinking, I have nothing to feel stressed and worried about after reading this story about this man in America that is a lobster diver. Know what I'm gonna say, Laura, No, this week, just a few days ago. Wait, are you coming to me with some world news right now that I'm completely I'm coming to you with.
Speaker 2: The craziest, most hilarious.
Speaker 1: And scary world news that I have read or heard in a very long time. So a man, a lobsterdiver, went lobster diving like he always does, and the details are a bit sketchy, but essentially he says he sort of like felt a bump, like something hid him, and then everything went black and he was like for a second, he's like, I don't know what was going on. And then he's like, oh, he's like, oh my god, I've been eaten by a shark, and that this is what he's saying. I think I'm eating by a shark. And then he was like feeling around, he couldn't feel any teeth, and then he realized he was in a whale's mouth. A whale ate him.
Speaker 2: It's not a joke. Is this like Pinocchio? It's not Pinocchio? That's the they get hiden by whale? Did he Yeah, don't you remember this? Impoque? There you go. Okay, that's a long time. But he got eat by whale. That mob dick or something. He got in by whale and no joke.
Speaker 1: So he was in the whale's mouth for forty seconds. Well, what did he stop watching out was if you were in a whale's mouth, you'd probably count it to he reckons.
Speaker 2: He was in there for forty seconds. He was feeling around and it was all smooth. He thought all he.
Speaker 1: Could do was pray that it doesn't swallow him. So he was like touching around because whale's like so the way they eat, The way it happened was the odds that is happening a slim to none. I don't know how it's happened. He's the most unlucky man in the world. The whales opens its mouth and then just cruises for a while with an open mouth, and heaps.
Speaker 2: Of stuff goes in theresuck.
Speaker 1: He got eaten, and then he was like touching the walls of the whale's mouth. And then all of a sudden, after forty seconds, which he times on his sports watch fitbit, the whale breached out of the water and started to shake its head because it obviously could feel something in there that shouldn't be in there, and flung him out of his mouth. And he's survived, and now he's just in the hospital telling a story about how he just got eat by whale. Guys, if you think you had a big weekend once again parenting your children, yeah, well, I mean you're never going to stack up to the guy who was eating by whale.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: But not apart from that, my long weekend because I'm going away guys this weekend. I haven't seen my parents in so long, and I just realized that I am a horrible child because they lived four hours away. Like that's not an excuse, and I just felt slack. We went to the Hunter Valley.
Speaker 2: I just cannot tell you how much wine and food we ate. It's actually disgusting.
Speaker 1: I was at the point that I was at my last vinyard and I had to unbutton my jeans at the table. It was mortifying. Well, also like fine that you eat so much at your pants pop you just take your hair out and then you wrap a hair elastic around the inside loop and then wrap it around that button and just embrace it.
Speaker 2: I still do that with my jeans.
Speaker 1: Plus yourself, you're not pregnant any well, I know, what did you get up to? Actually I did the same. Well, I mean I know that's a lie. Did not go to the Hunt Valley and didn't eat wine and cheese. I went down to Woollongong and I also spent some time with my family. I mean, I haven't seen my nan in a while, and since my grandfather passed away last year, my nan moved into a nursing home and her memory has been kind of like deteriorating over the last couple of weeks and months. And I went down there of the weekend spent some time with her, and the one silver lining of the whole thing is that she no longer thinks that she lives in a home. She thinks that she just goes to the RSL club.
Speaker 2: So she was like, that's so sweet. I was like, how have you been?
Speaker 1: She said, Oh, it's a bit lonely at the house because your granddad's not there. But I go to the RSL Club a lot, so she thinks that. Bless her. She thinks that she does where she's doing playing bingo and stuff with the RSL.
Speaker 2: She's hanging out of the RSL club.
Speaker 1: Do you know what, Whatever gets you through, Absolutely, I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: So that was it.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty low key, very family orientated long weekend. But I did also read something which I want to bring up and I want to talk to you about. Is it as funny as been in my way? Okay, look, it's not as funny as that. I'm just gonna put it out there, but I think it's look, it's something that made me feel a lot of conflicting feelings. I had a lot of feelings, so I wanted to like flesh it out with you.
Speaker 2: That's what the podcast is about, fleshed out to hit me.
Speaker 1: So some of you might have seen this, and if you haven't, then I'm going to give you the quick rundown. M Rata is in a supermodel beautiful m Radajowski. M Radajowski's been in the media in the last week over some backlash that she has received for posting a photo of her and her three and a half like let's go with three month old baby. She's just turned thirty years old and she posted this photo. It was actually a series was carousela photos of her standing there in a tiny string bikini looking like wildly insane, not even insane for someone who's just given birth, but just like extraterrestrial, Like no normal human can ever look like her before birth, or she looks like but she looks like that after birth. Yes, it's actually ridiculous.
Speaker 2: She's like a deity.
Speaker 1: It's I don't understand, she's not a real Well, I shouldn't say she's not a real human, because then that leads into the whole conversation that I'm just about to have the problem with the picture, and I'm going to like encourage you guys to go and have a look, so you know what I'm talking about. So it's a photo of her standing there in this tiny string bikini looking hot af and then she is holding her little boy kind of.
Speaker 2: Like he's a sack of potato.
Speaker 1: Now I have seen the phone holding him in a bit of a headlock.
Speaker 2: He's sort of off to the side and like fluffing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like his legs are dangling, and I'm kind of like gripping around his shoulders. So she's holding him close to her. The little boy doesn't have any neck support, and his legs are dangling. And then if you flick through the photos they become progressively better. It looks as though she's kind of the photos have been taken during a movement, So the first photo was taken when he was dangling, and then she's kind of flicking her hair in the second one, and then the third photo she's reaching around to help support him and lift him up a little bit. And she's posted all three photos in a carousel. Firstly, before we unpack it, I just want to say, like, we do not condone mummy shaming on this podcast. And I think, you know, there is so much guilt that's attached to being a mum already that there's always this feeling of like I'm not doing a good enough job. So I would never want to say anything or do anything that adds to somebody's feeling of that. However, but I am going to say, yeah, well, what I'm gonna say. I had a moment I saw those photos and my instant reaction was, girlfriend, what the fuck you doing?
Speaker 2: Hold your kid properly?
Speaker 1: Like that thought entered my mind and that was my very first reaction to seeing those photos. And then I sort of sat with it and like, okay, just so you guys know, she has turned off comments on the photos. She was receiving thousands and thousands and thousands of comments from people saying exactly the same thing. Piers Morgan actually tweeted some things and like, oh, look, I think that Peers Morgan is pretty problematic from time to time, that's for sure, And he wrote, that's not how you hold a baby m rudder and your millions of followers shouldn't be encouraged to do the same, happy to give you some tips if you need them, which is incredibly condescending of anyone.
Speaker 2: Or let alone a man, to write that.
Speaker 1: My first feelings were and my thoughts were, holy crap, what are you doing? And then I had to sit with that for a little while, and I was like, these photos are a moment taken in time. They are one second in time. I'm sure that she's a great mum, she knows how to hold a child. I'm sure that's not how she holds her little boy as the norm. But I guess the thing that kind of made me feel a little bit uncomfortable, and the thing that made me question is like, but why would you choose to post those photos.
Speaker 2: On the internet?
Speaker 1: Why would out of all the photos that you would have with you and your child, knowing that like, yes, it's just a moment in time, But if that moment in time is not a good representation of how you will hold your child normally, wouldn't there be a moment where you go, oh, maybe this isn't the right photo to post. I mean, this one's hard for me and not hard. It's not like I'm not around kids. I am around kids, but I'm not a mum. I haven't had a lot of time one on.
Speaker 2: One with newborns. I know how to hold them. I know they need neck suport.
Speaker 1: But could it be that maybe she knows that he is okay in that position or is that a position that is not okay at all for a child.
Speaker 2: Of four months old?
Speaker 1: It's debatable, right, Like, if he's in that position for one second, yeah, he's fine, Like we readjust ourselves.
Speaker 2: Babies.
Speaker 1: Of course they are fragile, but they are a hell of a lot more robust than what I think a lot of people think they are. Yes, a three month baby needs to have next support. They cannot hold their neck up at all themselves, and that's why his neck is kind of like falling backwards a little bit.
Speaker 2: However, one second of that is not a big deal.
Speaker 1: Can I also say that he looks like a six month old boy?
Speaker 2: That is a big boy. Look.
Speaker 1: I can only imagine that she's posted it because I saw all the hate too, and I did look at it and think, oh, that doesn't really look right. It looks like he's just flopping around. She probably didn't question it because she knows that he wasn't in danger in that second, Like you said, it was like a movement between positions that she was holding him. She knows that he was fine, so it might not have even clocked to her that she was going to receive that much backlash. And the other thing that's come to mind with this as well is that this is definitely not the first time that em Rada has kind of blown up in the media since having her little boy. So only three weeks after having her little boy, she posted some photos on her social media and she was looking smoking like there was nobody who has looked at this ridiculously incredible three weeks postpartum, and obviously like she received the thousands of comments of people being like, oh my god, that's amazing. Did you even have a baby, which is the standard response to seeing someone who looks so incredible postpartum. But Claire Holt, who is an actress, came out and said something about this, and she said, I try not to be a grinch on here, but I really want to say something because it's annoying me. If you post a picture of your completely flat stomach ten days after having a baby and call that body positivity. To me, that's the same as posting picture of the millions of dollars in your bank account and calling that success positivity. Holt said this in a video posted to her Instagram stories in March. Did m Rada because I remember that photo that she posted postpartum? Did she say in that photo that she posted it for body positivity? No?
Speaker 2: She didn't.
Speaker 1: And this is my thing. Why do we want to hate her so much? Well, this is what I want to say to this. I think just because she looks incredible three weeks after having a baby, that does not mean she can't post it. Just because a lot of other people don't bounce back to that level, that doesn't mean that is not okay for her to live her life. It's still her life. It's still what has happened to her body. She has no control over it. That's the same as somebody else that hasn't bounced back as quickly putting a photo up three weeks later. I'm saying, three weeks postpartum, every single human is different. The reason we don't like her or people like that is because we are jealous. We're jealous that our body doesn't look like that three weeks after pregnancy. But I don't think that's a reason to go and attack someone holding the baby incorrectly. I can see, and I can reason with that a little bit more with why she's received the hate and the backlash because people love to get on their high horse for this kind of thing, and also a lot of people looking at that thinking, you know, we need to help her protect the baby kind of thing. I get that backlash more, and I still when I say I get it, I'm not encouraging it.
Speaker 2: I don't think people need to go and attack the girl.
Speaker 1: I don't get when we criticize somebody for how they look after having a baby, if they look better, then we would look I just think that's wrong. I one hundred percent agree with you. I kind of sat with my immediate feelings after seeing this photo of the baby em Raudah, and then I did a little bit of a deep dive into some of the articles that have come out surrounding her postpartum journey.
Speaker 2: She's only been a month.
Speaker 1: For three months, she's still figuring this shit out like the rest of us. One of the things that I thought is really unfair is that just because somebody is in their postpartum period. Doesn't mean that they opt in to be a role model for every other person who is in their postpartum period. Like, yes, what she and the way she looks that may be unattainable, but it's not necessarily unattainable for her. That's how she looks, you know what I mean. And it doesn't mean that she has opted in to be a role model. And I think that sometimes when we look at people who will postparton and we look at what they're putting out there, there is this huge body positivity movement where we are saying, hey, it's okay to have cellulated, it's okay to have stretch marks, this is normal. Look at us, it's deliberated. Okay to be skinny and hot.
Speaker 2: It's also okay to be skinny and hot.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I guess like it made me kind of reconsider my thoughts around stuff as well, and knowing that my immediate reaction to that whole situation and those photos was like, girlfriend, what the fuck are you doing? And then I had to sit with that and kind of go, Okay, well, why do you feel like this is it? Because you know, the is more about her body than it is about her loving relationship with her child. Yeah, there's some other layers to that that made me feel uncomfortable. But at the end of the day, why the fuck do we care so much about somebody else's journey. Yeah, but she for sure posted that baby photo because she looks banging. It's not about the baby, like it is what it is. It's not about the baby. You can't even see the baby's face, like he's over the back of the shoulder. Well, she has very consciously never posted photos of her baby's face. Maybe the photos that she chose are very much about her body, but the reality is is that her entire instagram is about her body. Also, I think maybe that there is a whole other element to this, the fact that she is a supermodel, the fact that her entire career has been built around the way she looks. There's another level there that maybe the majority of us can't tap into or even really understand. Well, Also, she's a business owner. She owns that swimwear company that she's wearing. Does she really yes, So, so she owns a swimwear company. It's her own swim one and her business is her body and her swimmers look I'm not a mum, but I I do find the whole chat about this really interesting and I still do have my opinions on it, regardless of being a mum or not.
Speaker 2: And I just do think.
Speaker 1: Overall we're too quick to judge sometimes. I think we need to give people the benefit of the doubt. Really, that's it. And it also made me think about myself and think about photos that I've taken. There have been plenty of times where I've taken photos with Marley or even with Lola and didn't realize in that one second when that photo was taken that the sun was shining right on their face.
Speaker 2: And so when I looked.
Speaker 1: At the photos back, I was like, oh, I'm not going to post that because somebody's gonna come at me and think I've got my kids out in the UV light. All the time, I remember you posting and correct me if I've got the details wrong, but this has just hit me. I remember you posting a photo that you got backlash from with Marley. I think it was at Iceberg's. You were on a balcony, you and Matt. There might be someone else, but you also had Marley and then behind you in the photo on a wall was a sign that said it was a smoking zone. How have I forgotten this? I don't know, but I'm just this is my mum brain. This is what's happened to me. My brain is just like a porridge puddle because you were trauatized because and like I mean, you tell the story, but I just remember how much hate you received because you took her into a zone that was smoking.
Speaker 2: There were no smokers around, were there.
Speaker 1: I actually cannot believe that I've brought this whole conversation about em Rada to the table and then forgot my own fucking experience, which is exactly that. Okay, So what happened was exactly what Britt said. Mali was only three weeks old. It was my very first time out of the house, and we'd gone to Icebergs for a lunch. Like I was sitting on a travel pillow. I was still like in the trauma of post delivery, let alone post parted.
Speaker 2: Like, just give the girl some food.
Speaker 1: I had some hemorrhoids, Like I was sitting on an ice pack and I was sitting down there having a six oysters.
Speaker 2: But you were like, this is my time to shine.
Speaker 1: You were determined to go and have your first outing as a mum for the very first time, and I was exhausted. I hadn't slept anyway. I wanted to just have like a cute photo with Matt and Mary, and we walked down to the balcony. There was nobody on the balcony and I saw a sign and in my head the sign said no smoking, like I saw I saw the sign. I even saw the sign when I posted the photo, and in my head it said no smoking.
Speaker 2: Because usually that's what it would say, because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't even know that I've been to a venue except for Icebergs that has like a hey, smoke here sign welcome to the smoking section. It's like, that's weird for twenty twenty, right Anyway, So I took the photo. I posted it to Instagram and got a huge amount of backlash, like I can't believe you're taking a three week old into a smoking zone, as if you were going to.
Speaker 2: Take it around a bunch of people that were actually smoking.
Speaker 1: And Daily Mail posted the articles as well, like it was a whole thing, and I felt so pathetic. I felt so stupid. I was like, how could I have made this mistake. And now that you've said that, brit it just makes me think.
Speaker 2: And I know that you.
Speaker 1: Guys are going to go and look at this photo of em Rata and you're gonna think the same thing that I thought, which is like, WHOA, that is an interesting way of holding a baby.
Speaker 2: However, like the.
Speaker 1: Situation I had at Iceberg's, a photo shows one second. It is a fraction in time. And I don't think that we can base someone's parenting or their motherhood journey or how good they are at being a mum off one single photo. And if we find ourselves doing it, check yourself because like none of us so perfect mothers totally and like maybe she was having a signy and blown in his face. Like the long weekend guys, all right, before we get into our favorite section accidently unfiltered, we should just tell you what the episode is actually about.
Speaker 2: We have the very very divine Villa.
Speaker 1: Did that, I think the very divine Victoria Divine as a guest today. Now, Victoria hosts the very successful podcast She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've heard about it.
Speaker 1: She has an insane Facebook group, like I think it's hundreds of thousands of people in the group that are all.
Speaker 2: Learning about finance. Now.
Speaker 1: I know when you hear us say finance, you think it's probably really boring. But this is such a great episode with Victoria, and the reason she's got the number one finance podcast is because she makes this podcast for millennials. She dumbs down information for us, and I'm not saying it's because we're dumb. I'm saying it's because finance is a really really particular topic and not everyone has the interest in not everyone can understand it because you don't learn this stuff in school. But Victoria finds a way to make it engaging, make it interesting, and just to give you the stuff you really need to know. Because ps she also has a book that comes out tomorrow. We've done actually a really big episode in the past called Show Me the Money, which is all about dating, relationships and finances and how you go about like dividing up your finances when you're in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Or if you're a single gal or guy I live in your single life.
Speaker 1: But this episode kind of goes into that a whole lot deeper, and it also kind of just gives you a bit more financial literacy to be able to make the decisions and live the life that you want to live. But before we get into the chat with Victoria, we're gonna do Accidently Unfiltered, which is our favorite part of every episode.
Speaker 2: Brittany hit me with your story. Okay, well I just have a quick one first.
Speaker 1: That was my own accidentally Unfiltered, which happened last a.
Speaker 2: Few days ago. Sherry inmightded me out for dinner.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know if I said it before. I'm not a very good cook. I never have been a very good cook. It's not my thing. I don't enjoy it. I cook to survive. Brittany just cooks holofresh every day. Hello fresh, I'm not keen. That's the recently Helo fresh. And when it's not hallow fresh, it's like just toast. It's like a rap or toast. But I even burned toast. You come over the other da Laura. I was like, damn it, I've had to throw my toast in the bin because I couldn't even cook it proper. No, the toast had been sitting in the toaster since the morning and it was the evening.
Speaker 2: That's what had actually happened. I walked in.
Speaker 1: She was like, I just threw my breakfast in the bin and I've been sitting in the toaster all day.
Speaker 2: Oh it's one of those weeks.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Sherry invites me up because she's a nutritionist. She's a really good cook. She he loves it, she frosts it. So she's always cooks his elaborate food. So I got up there to get my home cooked meal.
Speaker 2: Hit. She asked me to do one job while she's slaving away. You're gonna laugh.
Speaker 1: I make my specialty is just like a rap with garlic and butter on it.
Speaker 2: It's just a garlic bread.
Speaker 1: On a rap.
Speaker 2: That's what I do. And then I put in the arbit That's all I do.
Speaker 1: So she's like, can you just whive up the entree which is like literally a garlic bread And I was like, yes, yes, I can nailing it. And they were like because Jay as well, They're both like, that's you do that really well. They're really encouraging of me. And it was like, in the morning, you don't have to prop me up. I'll make the garlic bread. So I go and get the rap, get the butter, get the crush garlic.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's not hard. And I sprinkle some cheese on top. Sorry, butted it up. Then I put all the crushed out of the jar, crushed garlic on it, and I put the cheese on it, put in the oven. Ten minutes later I come back, I'm like, fuck, yeah, now that's perfect.
Speaker 1: We're bite into it simultaneously. And I realized that I covered it in ginger. It's just crushed ginger. So you know that you have like master food, crushed garlics and ginger.
Speaker 2: They come in the same jar.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you that I have those in my fridge and the ginger does not look like garlic would not look the same.
Speaker 2: I'm blacked out. I don't know what happened anyway, that was really funny like that.
Speaker 1: You're keeping like it's been it's been a tough week, and it's like, no, it's just been a tough life.
Speaker 2: It's a tough life.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well, I've got one that's been written in by a listener, and here we are.
Speaker 2: It's actually a really sweet one.
Speaker 1: None of these ones today have anything to do with poop, which is a real highlight for us. It was the first day at a new job and it was a small regional office, so only about eleven staff in the office. It was lunchtime and I was starving. I went and I got my lunch out of the fridge that my boyfriend had made me, and I was so hungry I just started inhaling it. It was really cute that he'd made it for me because it was my first day of work and he was really proud of me. So I was pleasantly surprised as it was a delicious pearl cuscous.
Speaker 2: Salad with all my favorite things.
Speaker 1: It was halloomi and avocado and yummy yogat dressing, you name it. My boyfriend had never made anything so delicious or special for me before. My new boss came in and looked in the fridge and then looked at me, and then looked back at the fridge and said, are you.
Speaker 2: Need my lunch? I saw that coming.
Speaker 1: I looked at it her and looked back at my now almost empty container before a dawn on me that I had never even taken my lunch out of my fucking bag. Mortified, safe to say, she didn't want my shitty past to salad that my boyfriend made that had absolutely no trimmings. Anyway, I'm still known as the girl who was the lunch stooler.
Speaker 2: Les also of many day to do it day one of your new jobs, like the Lash's lunch.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Matt's best friend, Oh, this is going to come back to buye me. Best friend when he used to live in the UK, used to steal people's lunches. I think that pisces that piss.
Speaker 2: That is not okay.
Speaker 1: He'd just be like, oh, well, looks good. I'll have a couple of spoonfuls of that person's lunch. When fucked up, you've done the same. No, this is actually fucked up. This was someone we used to work with years and years and years ago. I'm not going to tell you him what department or what they did. I don't even remember their name. They got fired. But what they were for stealing lunch no worse. I mean that's a that's a fireable offense right there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But they were a loose cannon. He was so convinced that people were taking his lunch. They I don't think they were. I think he actually had some things going on upstairs. He was so convinced that he started to bring his lunch in put in the fridge. Then he would put and I'm not exaggerating, a dead rat on the top of the lunch so that no one so that no one would take it, because that was that I'm.
Speaker 2: Not kidding, And then he would eat his own lunch.
Speaker 1: They had had a dead on top of it, yeah, because then no one had steal it.
Speaker 2: I had dead run on anyway, good fire. He's a sicko. Obviously.
Speaker 1: When I was like really poor, and I don't say I was really poor, lightly like when I was like in Uni and I had moved out of home and had no money, and I was working in a job that paid me thirty thousand dollars a year, but I was living outside of homes, I had pay rent and everything else.
Speaker 2: Like it was grim. I reconized all of you lunch, did you from whom at the work? No, just I wouldn't steal whole lunch. I'd just steal a bit of a lunch or just one bite of the singer and put it back. If it was like they'd had yogurt or something, just take a yoga.
Speaker 3: Sure, Rah.
Speaker 2: I was young and wild and.
Speaker 1: Frame and poor at what work enviroment, we were the lunches that you were stealing like properly from a cafe or from like no from the fridge, other like your work, yeah, from like my stuff and no one ever like my colleagues who like are my friends good friends? All right, guys, let's get his interview with Victoria. We are lucky enough to have financial expert Victoria Divine on the podcast today.
Speaker 2: And now, look, Laura and I we love money. Let's be real.
Speaker 1: I love money, but that's about as much as we know about money.
Speaker 2: I don't have enough money, but I still really love it.
Speaker 1: No, but we want to know how we can get more, so we got Victoria on the pod. Victoria is a multi award winning financial advisor who is literally transforming the way millennials think about money because all we think about is spending it and buying avocado. On host with a background in behavioral psychology, her own financial advisory business, and a chart topping podcast which we all know and love called She's on the Money, Victoria knows what makes millennials tick and how we should and shouldn't be spending our money. So Victoria, welcome to Life on Cut and we can't wait for you to make as millionaires.
Speaker 3: Well, I hate to break it to you, but that's probably not what we're going to do to but you know what, we can work towards it, Vitor.
Speaker 1: Before we actually get started, though, there's something that we do on every episode and we ask all our guests to contribute to this very special part of what makes life life uncut now that is called accidentally unfiltered. And I would like to know what is your most embarrassing story share it with everyone so we can laugh at you together.
Speaker 3: Some of them are too embarrassing. I mean the time in you know what, this is really embarrassing because I was like, oh, tell them about so last week I'll give you two.
Speaker 4: Are you ready? Last week COVID.
Speaker 3: Normal now in Melbourne, So, like, real life meetings are happening again. And I've gotten so used to coming to work in my active wear and just looking like an absolute twit, like think top knot that's terrible, Like no bra, Like I've been wearing like singlets with like hoodies and like a pair of tights.
Speaker 4: It's been great.
Speaker 3: So the other day I came to work looking like the true me, which is Lululemon leggings, a pair of white birkenstocks, no bra, a singlet and a hoodie, so that like I was somewhat in my opinion, presentable, right, and then.
Speaker 2: Jess my assistant, at least they put pants on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I can't believe I did either, but it turns out I didn't want to get arrested on Colin Street in the city and something I do, like on the other side, not just podcasting, as I do run a financial advisory firm. And I came to work and Jess, my assistant, was like cool, so, like are you changing? And I was like for what And she's like, you know, at ten am, you've got a board meeting down the other end of the city. And I was like what, and she's like yeah, yeah, like for your finance practice, Like you've got to go to this, like absolutely, like really important board meeting. It's about compliance and like you know, the new Foresea rules. And I was just like, ah, so I didn't have time between the meetings that I had to even go to the shops and get a dress or something. So I was just like, you know what if they don't accept me as who I am, thought it was fine.
Speaker 1: Oh you needed some duct tape around the boobs. You can improve that bra any day of the week.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 4: It was fine.
Speaker 3: Band aids, by the way, is what's sufficed on that day. So I go to this meeting. I'd hyped myself up there to be fine and like keep some people would have zoomed in. No, it was a room full of middle aged white men in their suits and then me in my in my active wear. I'm like, it's more embarrassing because I walk in and they're like, oh my god, she's the one with the podcast, and I'm like, yeah, cool, if you guys could just pretend you didn't see this. Yeah, So that was really good. And I had to sit there not for one hour, not for two hours, but for nearly three hours of compliance training. While all of these men in suits were like, yes, this is very important.
Speaker 4: I'm like yeah, okay, Like great.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's so funny is you've just literally described Laura and I to a tea like literally, now, this is what we look like every day of the week. We look like this, to the point that yesterday I had to make a conscious effort to say to Laura, Laura, I need to remind you we have this really big presentation coming up soon. We're gonna be on a panel and she's like yeah, and I'm like, well, you need to find something to wear because all.
Speaker 2: We wear is active wear and e and trainers. I mean, I was still slightly offended by that. I was like, I do know how to dress and go out in public. It's okay.
Speaker 1: You don't have to remind me, Like I'm your child, can please go by something to wear?
Speaker 2: No, it was both of us. We both forget how the dress normally. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That was embarrassing, but arguably not the worst thing to ever happen. I don't wear black right, not very often, so like black is forgiving for everything, especially when you get your period. And I was giving a presentation at a conference one time, this is probably like two years ago, on financial literacy, and I was wearing this beautiful cream skirt that I have owned for a very long time.
Speaker 4: Come off stage.
Speaker 3: I'm a walker like and I'm someone who like talks with my hands a lot. Come off stage to find that I had my period. And there's no way, there is no way that people didn't see the massive patch on the back of my cream skirt.
Speaker 2: I have my head in my jacket. I'm so mortified.
Speaker 1: For you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh my god, I can't listen to this.
Speaker 3: And I think it's worse because thankfully it wasn't filmed, so that was good. But nobody said anything, like not one person like came up to me said, bab do you know what, maybe you should go change your skirt because we were staying in that hotel too.
Speaker 1: Why daddy, No, It's like, hey, baby, you've just got some crumbs on your face and some period on your butt, Like you need to go check that out. I mean, there's a whole other conversation in this around why we shouldn't be embarrassed when we get our periods and why, like, you know, the stigma around it needs to change. There's a greater conversation here, but right now I'm fucking dying. Also, women have a duty to tell each other. Women have a duty to say, look, I don't know if you know, but you have bled through.
Speaker 3: Your pants exactly, And it was a beautiful silk skirt, and you know how silk flows like, so I clearly sat on it and then stood up, so it's just like beautifully flowing. Anyway, I think the worst part about it was I was staying in the same hotel. So it would have been a really easy fix for me to pop upstairs, put a new body outfit on, and come downstairs. And no, nobody had the due diligence. They didn't think of me. They don't care about me. They didn't tell me that I had bled through my skirt, okay.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that's the most embarrassing.
Speaker 1: What I love about this the most is that just before we actually sat recording, Victoria was saying that her producer was like, are you sure you want to go on Life on Cut? Like they talk about sex and they talk about they talk about other things than finance.
Speaker 2: Are you sure you want to do it a podcast episode with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we haven't said one thing about finance, And here you are talking about the time that you got your public period. Welcome to Life on Cut. That's Hey, this is what we This is how we roll, baby, this is just what we do best. Let's get into the finance questions and like, this is a bit of a different pivot for us, Like we have done one episode in the past, which is around sharing your finances in a relationship and the importance of talking about finances with your partner. But we wanted to do a bit more of a greater conversation around finances with Victoria because she is the expert, and also how you can apply that to your every day So let's jump on in, and I think the very first thing I want to know from your perspective, from someone who deals with questions all day long from people who write in across the podcast world, what is the number one question that you get asked day to day from millennials around finance?
Speaker 2: What is the biggest problem?
Speaker 3: So the biggest problem is how do I save? And then the second biggest problem is how do I invest? So I feel like there's obviously lots of other stuff around that, but if we really distill down the real questions they're asking, it's how do I achieve my financial goal, which to me is how do I prioritize my savings because as millennials and as young women, it is so hard in a you know, in the age of Instagram, right like watching everybody else live their best life, you kind of want to live yours as well. And at the same time, you really want to buy a house or go on these really big holidays, but unfortunately most of that requires significant you know, let's call it sacrifice to save, and it's like, well, how do I do that and still maintain my lifestyle? You know, as Britt said before, like we want to eat our avocado toast, and like, how do we maintain a brunchy lifestyle while still making sure that I'm not poor in retirement?
Speaker 1: To be honest, so do you think, like we talk a lot about comparison culture, and do you think comparison culture plays a massive part in the reason why we're not able to save? And maybe it is the smashed avocado toast that is, you know, holding us back from being able to reach those financial goals.
Speaker 4: Huge.
Speaker 3: Comparison culture, genuinely, to me, is the thief of so much joy for so many people. And it's funny because we all have different values, and we all have different mindsets and you know, beliefs around money, and we start believing that these are the things we want. Like we see our favorite Instagram influencers buying houses and renovating homes, and you go, well, that's what I want to do. And then once you get down to the crux of it, so many people like, oh yeah, like I want to do it because that's what you do and you're like okay, but like why, They're like because it's what you do, Like okay, but like why. And if you can't properly tell me why you want something, then more often than not, it's just because you're being influenced by the world that's surrounding you. And owning a home in twenty twenty one is hard, and it is a really big financial commitment. And to be honest, I'm seeing a lot of millennials nowadays who just are like, you know what, it's too hard. I'm just going to I'm going to create wealth in a different way. That's not a priority to me. It's not a financial commitment that I actually want to make, and I go more power to you, Like it is a massive financial commitment. It is something that takes significant sacrifice, and it's not as easy as it was thirty fifty years ago to acquire property. So for me, I think that comparison culture is massive and it really does play into it, whether you want to admit that it's influenced you or not.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting you say that. And this kind of brings me back to an interview that we did a really long time ago with Samantha Wills and it was around starting businesses and being an entrepreneur and something that she said, which was like, everybody feels like they need to start a small business because everybody else is doing it. Everybody feels like they have to have their own project that's their own business. And the reality is is that there's so much that goes into having your own business that isn't just having a product that you can sell an Etsy, and you've got to be really passionate about the business side of things.
Speaker 2: But because we see so many people.
Speaker 1: Doing it and seemingly doing it in a really successful way across Instagram and social media, we think we have to.
Speaker 2: Do that as well.
Speaker 1: And I really do totally align with what you've just said in regards to buying property and renovating. I have no idea how to renovate. I have no passion for renovating whatsoever. And I think things like the block is a big part of the massive But even Matt's like, maybe we just need to buy a shitty house and renovate the house.
Speaker 4: Oh good, idea, that won't end in disaster.
Speaker 1: Let's do that with two babies. It sounds fucking terrible.
Speaker 3: But the thing about wealth and wealth creation is it's so invisible, Like you can't see how much money you've got in a savings account when you buy a property, like yeah, you might get one sexy Instagram post if you're putting a sold sign up, but then the rest of it's all you being like, oh my god, I just bought this house in the kitchen dank, like cannot get rid of the flies. Like it's one of those things that you see the door bags and you don't see the associated debt that they're going into to potentially acquire those things. And you know, I'm lucky to be in the space where I do have a profile as a financial advisor, right, which means I do have a lot of social media clients, and the amount of times I speak to you know, smaller influencers who say, Victoria really need your help managing this, and I go, great, no problems, let's set it up. And I do a lot of cash flow for them and you know, talking to them about how to charge and whatever else. But the amount of times they come to me with personal debt because even the influencers have been trying to keep up with the joneses and keep up with what's going on and they're like, yep, cool. Well, you know, I get sent so many dresses and clothes. I just needed beautiful accessories so that I could really create great.
Speaker 4: Content with it.
Speaker 3: And it's like have we all lost our brains? Like is that actually what we should be doing? Like I get having a beautiful bag, and please don't get me wrong, Like I have a couple of really beautiful designer bags that I have worked my butt off for, but it's.
Speaker 4: Not something that I've purchased regularly.
Speaker 3: And you know, I have this one bag and I'm always putting it on chairs and like I won't put it on the ground, and it's like a child.
Speaker 4: To me, right, Like I worked so hard to acquire that.
Speaker 3: I bought that when I had a really big milestone, and you know what, that makes me feel good about myself.
Speaker 4: But I would feel terrible if people.
Speaker 3: On Instagram saw that and thought, oh, well, she has one, I need one, Like they don't see that that was actually a milestone thing for me, and that's, you know, something that I worked my butt off for and I waited to purchase until after I had a house and after I definitely didn't have any debt and all of those other things, And I think that wealth generation and financial security is invisible, and that's why it's so hard to prioritize in a world where Instagram is so massive, and it's just very, very hard to swallow. And I think that it's hard to see as well, because we don't understand more often than not, what is sponsored and what isn't sponsored, And you know, what influences have been gifted things and what hasn't been gifted, like what's real and what's fake. It's really hard to differentiate that at this point in time.
Speaker 1: What's it like for you working in an industry that is so predominantly male focused, finance in general, it attracts a lot of male attention. What is it like being a female in that industry?
Speaker 3: To be honest, nowadays, it's not as hard as it used to be, But when I first started, it was definitely very challenging because it meant that I had to have a level of confidence I genuinely didn't have. I'd have to walk into rooms and like a lot of what I do obviously as a financial advisor day to day, it's one on one, Like I get to talk to clients and I don't actually have that overloording feeling of you know, middle aged white men with mediocre attitudes coming over at me and you know, thinking that they're all that shit and I'm not. But it's always when I go to a conference or I go to CPD because every year I need to do a certain amount of training and education to make sure that I can still maintain my license as a financial advisor because I am legit, unfortunately, and it means.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of work.
Speaker 3: But I would go into conference rooms and they would just be full of men, and you know, it's not the worst thing to walk into a room full of men, but it's when they go where do you work, and you go, I work for myself.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Like what do you do?
Speaker 3: And you'd be like financial advisor and they'd be like, so, who do you work with and I'd be like, no, no, no, it's me, Like this is my team, and they're like, oh, okay, so you've got a business partner. Like they could not conceptualize the idea that maybe I was just out on my own, and you know, I'd never given anybody the impression that there was somebody else in the background, but they'd always assume that there's no way she could have done it on her own. And so I think for me that was one of the hardest things to overcome is always being like, no, no, no, I am a financial advisor and I own that practice, and they're like, oh, okay, cool, Like where did that come from.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of the time this kind of thing is it's not conscious. I think it's subconsciously they think, Okay, where's the business partner, where's the man. And they wouldn't be doing that to be detrimental towards you or anything that you have built on your sense, But it's just something we all assume that one young individual on their own can't create this much success. I think we all just like to think because it makes ourselves feel better that they're surely they didn't do it on their own. And there is a whole lot of sexism that's heavily loaded into it. I mean, I don't think that we can extrapolate that entirely, Like there are industries that are heavily male dominated because their content and the study of that content is what's been traditionally thought to be for men. Like I mean, if we think about money in the history and who controls the finances in a house. Yeah, traditionally it's the men, and I think that that kind of leads me into my next question for you, but it's more around do you.
Speaker 2: Think that men and women approach money differently?
Speaker 1: Still, and talk me through sort of like how we're breaking down those stereotypes around how men and women approach money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do absolutely think men and women approach money differently. And it's not just me thinking that. There's research out there to say that men and women are very different when it comes to finances, and a lot of it is around our ability to take on risk, So women are much less likely to take risk than men. But also women want all the facts before we make a decision, so we are more than likely to feel as though we're uneducated on a topic when we know fifty percent of the information, whereas men they know fifty percent. They're like, great, I can take a decision rail road ahead, right like, whereas you and I might go okay, cool, Like I know I need to do X, Y and Z, but I just don't know once I've done that, what the next step is. So I'm not really going to take the first step because I don't know what the second step looks like. So women are a lot more conservative when it comes to money and saving, but I think that that's not a bad thing. But historically speaking, if we look at you know, social media, we look at you know, product providers, we look at banks, they've never really spoken to women. And the fact that we do want all of the information upfront, and we do want to be educated, and we do actually want to feel empowered by these decisions before we actually make them. And I think that that's something that I'm really trying to do in Cheese on the Money, and that's give you the education that you genuinely feel you need to make good financial decisions. Because so many people talk to me every day about okay, Victoria, like I'm not confident about XYZX, no problems. I'll educate you, then you can make the decision for yourself, because a lot of people think that as a financial advisor, my job is to just tell you what the answer is. And it's kind of like, well, how am I going to instill long term financial success in people if I don't teach them the things they need to know?
Speaker 1: And see, I'm one of those people. I'm super guilty. I'm the one that goes to them and I'm like, hey, this is what i've got. Can you turn into this, tell me what to invest in? Don't ask Like they'll often write to me and they'll say, hey, I need you to say yes or no to this, and I'm like, no, that's why I'm paying you. I was like, I don't make these decisions. Like my brother's a financial advisor and I'm always going to him for like under the book advice, you know, just family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good, good good.
Speaker 2: But he's also like.
Speaker 1: Britt, I don't want to invest any of your money because if I lose it, you're gonna hold that against me. And he's like, whilst I don't think I will lose it, I'm just going to give you the tools you need. And I'm like that's not good enough.
Speaker 3: Tell me, yes, that's not what I wanted. I'm like that as well. I want the answers, so I totally get it. And to be honest, when I've got clients, that's easy, like I can make those decisions. But she's on the money. It's not necessarily about you know, taking on new clients. It's always about teaching you how fish instead of giving you the fish, whereas financial advice. You know, if you went and said, look, I actually want advice, I want a financial advisor, they should be actually just going.
Speaker 4: Okay, brit what are your goals? How does that work?
Speaker 3: Okay, here's what we are going to do. Are you comfortable with that? And then they can manage it. So there's to me, a really big difference between financial advice and financial literacy, and in this world we don't actually talk about that difference. Everybody thinks that they need financial advice when they actually just need to learn how to do a budget. And a financial advisor can't teach you how to spend less, and I mean predominantly we could. I could sit you down and be like, okay, brit you are spending too much on those to your bags. But I think that we also need to remember that that's actually entirely within your control. You're right, But once you've got all of those savings, I would help you make that decision as a financial advisor on how to invest it to create wealth. And so many times people come to me like try and need a financial advisor. I'm like, no, no, no, let's talk what do you actually need? Like, what's the solution here. Oh well, actually I just have you know, a small amount of personal debt, not good at saving. It's like you don't need that. You actually need someone to sit you down and just do a budget. And that might be a financial counselor it might be a money coach, or it might be just you know. I've started an online course for this, like so that you can go and teach yourself, and I think that that's really powerful in itself, knowing that there's a difference between literacy and then advice, because advice is you actually paying me for advice, whereas literacy is me teaching you the skills that you need at a baseline.
Speaker 1: So we obviously have I mean, we have male listeners, but we would be lying if we didn't say we were predominantly a female podcast. You know, I think like ninety five percent of our listeners are female.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it's so important that as women we start taking real control over our financial decisions, over our choices, and also over the information that we.
Speaker 3: Know, Because Laura, we're already behind. There's already the pay gap, and unfortunately that's going to take another hundred years at the rate that we're going to make that any closer.
Speaker 4: Together.
Speaker 3: We also outlive men, so we're gonna live longer. So regardless of whether a man is a financial plan for you right now, they're probably gonna die before you. And at some point, if I'm being really morbid, you're gonna have to manage the finances on your own. This is just a fact of life. And I'm quite blunt about these things because it's just like, Okay, I know that you know your partner might be really wealthy, or you plan to marry well or whatever it is, but like that doesn't allow you the financial freedom that you deserve. And when I say financial freedom, we're not talking about being absolutely loaded. We are talking about having the ability of choice, and that is something that not everybody is afforded, right, So, like too many times do we hear stories of domestic violence or you know, someone's partner cheating on somebody else and then wanting to leave a situation, but money is the reason they are unable to. If you are putting yourself in a position where you are financially literate and you know how to save, you know you've got your own little little get out of jail free card fund and you're actually financially literate, nothing is going to be able to beat you down in a way. But I see too many women who are in their early forties, like late thirties, early forties, who are going through a divorce and I literally sit down with them and I go, hey, great, like this is going on. I obviously can't change that, but they say they need me because you know, they need the financial education and they don't even know how to log into their banking apps. And I just think, great, if you're in a fantastic partnership and it's not your job in the relationship to manage money, that's actually fine. I'm not asking you to always be on top of it and you know, not divvy up jobs in a relationship, but I want you to be able to do those things so if push comes to shove, you can stand on your own two feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We have spoken about this loads, and that was actually one of the things that we touched on when we did our finance episode a while back. And it's so important, like even if you do have a joint income and you share everything as a couple, like I really advocate for how important it is to keep some savings that are your own savings, and it's just yes, maybe it's so you can treat yourself, but it's also in case of a rainy day or in case something does happen and you need to leave or extract yourself for whatever reason. And I know that that's worst case snow and it seems a bit morbid, but I think as women, it's something that we need to be really conscious of. And putting all of your money and all of your finances and all of your savings together doesn't give you that flexibility if you need to leave exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's not just this relationship piece either, right like having your own and you know, to be a bit vulgar, it's called an f off fund, so that you can.
Speaker 4: Tell anything to f off.
Speaker 2: Sorry what was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look that's what it's called, right like, And that's what I talk to my clients about because it feels a little bit more empowering. So you can tell any job, any person, any situation to leave if you want to. It's not just about relationships, right it's actually you're having a really terrible time at work. You really don't want to be in that job. It's impacting your mental health so significant, you're like, you know what, I just want to throw the towel in. I know I've got ten grand saved that'll cover my costs until I find a new job. Like for so many people, just having that financial freedom to say no to any situation is so empowering. And knowing that you've got access to money should you ever need it puts you in a position where you're just more confident as a person, and I think that that is something we all deserve.
Speaker 1: Whilst we're on this topic about relationships and money and having different accounts, what do you think about how quickly in a relationship you should start to share money. Now we've just discussed the fact that you should always keep a little fuck off account for yourself always, and a very big advocate for that, but I also do believe in and this is just me. Everyone's different, but I believe in a relationship you should be also pulling money for certain things that you're going to pay for together, whether that is your rent, whether it is like maybe it's a fun account that you want to go and do things on the weekend, or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is.
Speaker 1: How quickly in a relationship do you think people should start to share their money. Do they wait till they live together, do they wait for a certain time period.
Speaker 3: So interesting question, and my response to that is personal finance is just that it's personal and there's no right, there's no wrong. So I personally, I talk about this all the time on my podcast. I share all of my money with my partner because we are together working towards some pretty big goals. I'm grateful that, you know, recently I've been able to purchase our first home together, and it kind of just makes sense for our situation. I mean, we don't have kids yet, but I have three for children, and we look after those, and it's just very much us situation. Whereas I've got clients who are in their forties who still don't share with their husbands. They just you know, allocated out and they might have one joint account that they put shared resources into. It's actually fine however you want to manage it. There's no right or wrong. Like I put all my money together. Some people wouldn't want to do that. Some people go, oh, never do that, And to.
Speaker 4: Be honest, it's fine.
Speaker 3: The thing that I want to to be clear though, is communication about money. So talking about it and finding a solution that works for you too. So, like Laura, you guys might share money in a way that's different to the way you know, Steve and I share money, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
Speaker 4: We just need to find a.
Speaker 3: Solution that fits us that we both feel really comfortable with. Because for some couples, they're like, look, I'm happy sharing money, but I just, you know, sometimes want to go out and splurge on some new shoes, and I don't want to feel like that's coming out of shared accounts. You go, okay, no problems, whereas other couples they're like, oh, I don't want my partner seeing.
Speaker 4: Any of my expenses.
Speaker 3: So I think it's just more about what is going to work for your personal relationship and how are you going to both contribute financially so it's equal. And I guess that then leads into another topic which has come up recently, and that should couples share finances or expenses exactly fifty to fifty when they don't earn the same amount? And I find that really interesting and I wanted to bring it up because you know, your demographic is ninety five percent women, so it's really really important to understand. But for me, no, fifty to fifty isn't enough. It is not good enough. If your partner owns double what you do. I think a more fair percentage split, not just okay, well, rents one thousand dollars, so we pay five hundred dollars each. But what if you only earn five hundred dollars a month? Now what your partner gets all this additional financial freedom that you're not afforded. I think it's more fair to split it in a way that goes all right, Well, I earn thirty percent less, So how about I pay thirty percent rent and you pay the seventy percent Because that's how it's going to be fair, and we both get a level of financial autonomy that makes us feel comfortable. So for me, I'm sorry, I can't come to one specific this is the answer. It's about communication and finding what works for you and your relationship.
Speaker 1: I'm actually so glad you brought that up, because it's something we have touched on in the past a little bit, and for me, that was a huge part of one of the breakdowns of my relationship.
Speaker 2: I was dating a guy and I've been with him for almost four years.
Speaker 1: Or three years or something, and he was on a fucking good wage like he earned.
Speaker 4: He owned a company and he made bank.
Speaker 1: He made bank, and he loved to tell me how much money he was making. Yet we still had to pay for everything fifty to fifty split down the dollar, and I was struggling, and the resentment built up because I was like, why am I going to work and eating cans of tuna and fucking saladas And this guy has all this savings and we're paying rent that's exorbitant, it's above my means because he wants to live in a house that I can't afford, and I am constantly feeling stressed by this. He wants to go out and eat nice stinners, but then he also wants me to pay for them from time to time, and I'm like, I get that you want things to be fair in a relationship.
Speaker 2: That's so important, and we always advocate for that.
Speaker 1: But fair doesn't, like you said, it's not a fifty to fifty split when it comes to dollars and cents. My partner, Jordan, he plays tennis. Now, he obviously owns more money than me, but he also has a very healthy appetite and he wants to eat really good, nice food and a lot of it, and I'm all for that, Like.
Speaker 3: Mate, you're paying for that. I'm not paying for your organic.
Speaker 1: No. But we started to go out a lot, right like we're eating because you know, we're in the early few months of a relationship too. You want to be together all the time. And I'd be like, cool, let's go down here and get a pasta and he'd be like, oh, I really want to go here, which was always like sashimi and Japanese and and I love this food. And we're doing it for a little while, and it got to the point where I said, look, I love this food and I love going out with you all the time. But just so you know, I can't do this anymore because I very much want to pay my way in relationships. So I will always be like you got yesterday, I'll get today, even if deep down I'm like handing over my card and I'm like ouch, yeah, I still want to make sure there's this level of fairness. And I was just really honest with him, and I was like, you know, it's all about communication. I was like, this is great. I can't do this anymore, So we need to find a way around it. What if I cook you this at home? And he was really open. He's like, this is what makes me happy, and I really like to eat this, so let's continue and I'll just pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Great, and that was it.
Speaker 1: We both had the conversation and I kept eating really well. Money is such a conversation where resentment star to build. I mean from the research that I've done and just from an article I was reading the other day, infidelity is number one, but finance is a number two.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think the big thing with finances, though, as a pinch point in relationships, is that it doesn't really rear its ugly head until you're.
Speaker 2: Very invested with that person.
Speaker 1: I think from the start you can tell if someone's like a bit of a cheapskate, But until you're in a committed relationship where you're starting to fully share your life with them, that's when finance becomes a really fucking big problem. And that's why you have to have these conversations early to make sure that you are on the same page and that you do have the same outlook, that you have the same ideas and mentality when it comes to money, because otherwise you're in a relationship for two years and then you're like, yeah, you know what, I resent my partner because he's a tired us. He doesn't pay for anything or he makes me pay for fifty percent, and I'm just not happy with this situation. So yeah, that's why we really were looking forward to getting you on and doing this episode because as much as we talk about relationships a lot on this podcast, this is such an important part. It's an unsexy part, but it's a really important part of relationships as well.
Speaker 3: It builds a bond as well. Like, I think if you can be open about these things, you're going to have a deeper relationship. And gin know what, I'm so happy for literally everybody to blame me for these conversations as well. I know they're really hard to start, right, Like you can't just be like, oh, so we've been together three years and not really spoken about money and I really want to, like, it can be hard to bring up blame me be like, so I listened to this podcast with Victoria, Like, what a nightmare. She told me that she said, give me more money. Yeah, she said that we had to do that. What are your thoughts on this? And I think that you know, I hope that some people from this content start conversations that actually really impact this And I think it's really important for us to even just give permission to our communities that fair does not equal equal right, like fifty to fifty doesn't always mean that things are fair. And I think that having those conversations it doesn't make you less than. It doesn't make you someone who's contributing less. It just means that you want what they've got, like you just want to be afforded the same opportunities. And if we don't speak up, we end up in situations where we are spending too much, and we are in your situation, Laura, where you're spending every single dollar to keep up with their lifestyle and they're really happy with it because they're paying less than what they probably should. But you end up having this built up level of resentment that genuinely shouldn't exist, because if you're in a proper partnership, your partner would always want you to feel comfortable and happy and safe. And if they can't afford you that grace and they can't afford that conversation with you, I think you need to have a deeper conversation with yourself.
Speaker 1: But just bring this back a little bit to something that we're talking about the start, and then we kind of got sidetracked by talking about relationships and that's around.
Speaker 4: What my period.
Speaker 1: Ah No, we don't need to revisit that hard your cycle being babe?
Speaker 2: Where you at?
Speaker 4: Okay, it's been pretty good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I want to know about savings. So I think like one of the big hurdles that we have is our ability to be able to save, you know, to actually feel empowered and to look at our bank accounts and be like yeah, fuck yeah, I actually look, there's some dollars in there. Again, what do you recommend people do in order to really start to transform their savings?
Speaker 3: Okay, So there's this really sexy concept called a budget.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, can you talk to me dirty about budgets?
Speaker 2: Finances? Do it as sexy voys?
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Bad?
Speaker 3: So what we're going to do is talk about budgets. But I think the most important thing to understand about a budget is it's not what you expect it to be. It's not what everybody else has been telling you. It is like, a budget is not about you being restricted or judged for your spending. To me, a budget is a tool that tells you what's coming into your account and what's leaving your account, and then what you need to do with your budget is work out does that align with my values? Like, am I actually spending in line with the things I want to achieve? It's not about looking at it going oh my gosh, I taped my card every single morning at Starbucks and spend like thirteen dollars. That's ridiculous. It's more about going, wow, I spend a lot on coffee. Am I getting the amount of joy out of that purchase as I should be given how much it is every single day?
Speaker 4: And if you say yes, fantastic.
Speaker 3: I'm not the financial advisor that's gonna argue with you over your coffee spending, because lord knows, that's one of the things that sparks joy in my life. And I would literally fight someone if they said you can't have coffee in the morning. So I'd be like, sorry, what, that's not happening.
Speaker 1: I'd rather not eat breakfast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'd actually rather starve.
Speaker 3: So for me, I think it's about your lifestyle and your goals and what you're trying to achieve, and if you go, Yeah, Actually, I go to the cafe in the morning with my team and I just buy a coffee because they're buying coffees like I don't actually care about it. In that case, probably do cut back because that's unnecessary spending that isn't actually adding to your life. Whereas I personally, my partner and I, that's one time that we actually get to spend together because both of us work hectic late nights, so we go to the cafe every single morning. We walk the dog down there and grab a coffee, walk back, and that's our time. If you told me that you were going to take that off me, I'd be like, wow, that's one of the things I actually really love doing. So everybody's values are different, everybody's spending is different, which is why I never give outlines or percentages of what you should be spending or what you should be saving, because, to be honest, if I said to you, all right, Laura, you need to be saving twenty percent of your income, you go, okay, no problems. I'll calculate what that means. And if by chance you're earning fifty thousand dollars twenty percent of your income, is such a large amount of money, especially because most of us are paying rent or a mortgage or you know, have overheads, it's actually unobtainable. Whereas if you were earning half a million dollars twenty percent of your income, my friends, you should be saving much more than that. So these percentages that we've always tried to historically stick to or you know us as guides, they actually end up making us feel terrible about ourselves because we're comparing somebody else's percentages to our person situations. And so I think that for us, understanding your budget and then understanding what your future goal is is going to help you achieve what you're trying to achieve, and not judging yourself and not comparing your spending to that of other people's is really really important. And once you understand what's coming in and out of your bank accounts, you can then make conscious decisions about where your money's then going to be allocated. Instead of, oh, I spend one hundred dollars and grow series a week, I really need that to be fifty dollars, Like really, but what if you love food and you don't have an expensive gym membership and you know you've got all these other things that you don't spend on, but food's that one.
Speaker 2: Splurg.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to feel bad because your budget's more than what somebody else's is.
Speaker 1: I know for me that I started to use an app called and like, guys, this is not a sponsored thing. I just use an app called Pocketbook, and it really changed how I looked at my finances and it really helped me budget because what it does, and I'm sure there are hundred apps that do this, guys, but it just at the end of the week or month, it will literally sum up how much money you had come into your bank and how much money you had come out, and then it will also categorize it into like this much was spent on food, this much was spent on beauty, this much was spent on living expenses. And for me, that was where I was like whoa, Because every day I taped my card for lunch, I tap it for Uber Eats, I tap it for a coffee. At the end of the month, I was like, I have spent thousands on things I probably didn't need to, which was all just like food.
Speaker 2: That was why I'm eating my money and I'm eating it.
Speaker 1: I spent more of food than I think almost rent, like food, drinks and like coffees and brunches and stuff.
Speaker 2: So that was something that actually helped me.
Speaker 1: But one thing I do want to ask you, because I know it's for most Australians it's our number one dream, and that.
Speaker 2: Is to own a home.
Speaker 1: Because from day dot we've always been taught that you've made it once you own a home. It's imperative to get into the housing market. I am starting to think more and more that it's not necessarily the only way to accumulate wealth, because we're seeing now that the mark get in most cities in Australia is more unattainable than ever. It is increasing exponentially, way more than inflation, is way more than anyone can keep up. Is this still something that we should all be striving for? And I know that this is a generalized answer, but are there other ways for us to start to accumulate wealth?
Speaker 3: Absolutely there are. And it's interesting because I obviously am a financial advisor so talk about this every day. And recently I actually launched a brand new podcast called The Property Playbook, which is all about property and how to buy your first home. If that's a decision that you've made. But I think the most important thing for you to understand is it's actually not for everybody. And I think people don't like when I say that because they're like, no, we should have equal opportunity. Absolutely you do, but you also have the opportunity to say that's not in line with my values, it's not in line with what I'm earning. And for a lot of people, if you're young and you you know, have all these other financial goals to save and invest and travel and live the life you want to, property is actually going to stunt your ability to live the life you want because one, saving for a deposit is massive, but then mortgage repayments are on top of that, and then you've got land rates and taxes and all of that stuff that people seem to forget when they're talking about, oh, yeah, but I can afford the mortgage, and we just forget the commitment that is necessary for a property purchase, when in reality, we can actually create wealth for ourselves outside of property. There are heaps of different assets we can invest in, and something that I've spoken about on my podcast that I feel like gets a lot of interest because what we don't understand about share investing is why we do it, And you'll go, yeah, but it's create wealth, But what.
Speaker 4: Does that genuinely mean?
Speaker 3: And you know, I've got this example that I've piped out a million times, but to me, it's one of the most impactful. And that's if you're twenty one years old and you started investing five hundred dollars a month, it's not that much. It is hard to come up with five hundred dollars. But if you started at twenty one and started investing five hundred dollars am month until you retire at the age of sixty five, if you'd only saved that amount, you would have two hundred and forty thousand dollars in your savings account had you just saved it. But if you'd invested it instead of saved it, you would have one point two million dollars.
Speaker 1: WHOA, you make me want to go and change everything?
Speaker 3: Yes, And that one point two million dollars sounds great and so sexy, like I'm telling you right now how to become a millionaire, right, Like, you think that's so great, But what people think is that our super and what we're actually saving and what we're investing means that when we get to sixty five, we start spending it, when in reality, that's not what happens at all, because the reason that money made its way to one point two million dollars is because the money that you invest starts making money, and then that money invests itself, and then that makes money and it compounds. So that actually means that one point two million dollars when you get to retirement actually generates you a passive income of about sixty thousand dollars a year. Right, So that's sixty grand a year that you'd have forever and still have your one point two million dollars invested. And that's what wealth creation is. So if we want to go all right, let's talk about what we want to do in retirement. And I've said sixty thousand dollars, you might go Victoria.
Speaker 2: That's not enough.
Speaker 3: I want one hundred and twenty thousand dollars in retirement. I really want to. You know, once I pay off my home or once I get to retirement, I just want one hundred and twenty grand coming in that I can spend cool. We're looking at an investment portfolio of two point four million dollars. How are we going to get there? And that's what financial advice is. That's what we're trying to educate you on. Because if I then said to you, hey, guys, you're gonna get to retirement, you're gonna have a sick income, You're never gonna have to worry about being able to pay bills because they'll just be cash coming in. You go, oh, so it doesn't matter if I don't have a home. No, if you don't own property, it doesn't matter, because you're gonna have enough income to always rent. You're always going to have enough money to put food on the table and a roof over your head and live the life that you genuinely dream to desire.
Speaker 4: If I said, all.
Speaker 3: Right, well, britt, you need to start saving for your very first home, and it's going to take every single dollar for the next ten years to save for that, and then you're going to have a mortgage that you need to pay off, and you'll have that for thirty years, and then when you get to retirement, you haven't actually put aside any more money to give you that income stream. So what you end up with is just the house. You still have to work though, because You've still got to put food on the table. You can't travel because you just you want to work part time and have a work life balance. So I think that people just immediately assume that the way to create wealth is to buy a property, when in reality that's often not the case for most of us. And I think that that example is really powerful because you go, wait, what, what do you mean I could be a millionaire, and it's like, Yeah, becoming a millionaire when we are young and we have time on our side is not as hard as people think it is. But the thing that's hard is the commitment that it takes to actually do that.
Speaker 1: I think one of the crazy things as well when you think about property is like, yeah, sure you can get the mortgage and everything else, but like the fucking interest that you're paying. Yes, you look at what the interest ends up being and you're like, okay, yeah, sure the house costs that much, But then I actually just paid a third of the price of that house in interest.
Speaker 2: If you can't pay it off quickly.
Speaker 3: Do not even start me. I have recently bought my very first home, and I had a fit the other week because my partner and I looked at our mortgage one. I nearly died and fell over when I saw how much money we owe, just like looking at the banking app. It's like negative this amount of money, and I was like, oh my gosh, like I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Die, Like I'm having an aneurysm.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: We're paying like literally the amount of money that I pay in interest per month on my mortgage is the amount of money we used to pay in total for rent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, what It's not okay, I'm not okay. It hurts my soul.
Speaker 4: That's not okay.
Speaker 1: This is exactly where we're out at the moment. When we're talking about buying a house. I'm like, the thought of buying in Sydney and paying off a mortgage for the rest of my life sends me into wild fits of anxiety. But then this also leads me into the next thing, which is debt, because I think, like so many of us are dealing with debt, and it's not like it has to be critical debt. I'm talking like so many of us have like a couple of grand stashing a credit card, or we've got a fuck ton of after pay and all of those sorts of like prepayment apps that we're slowly paying off, but they just keep on creeping back up. I want to talk to you about how beneficial slash detrimental do you think things like after pay are to how we're able to structure our finances? And like, they were such a buzz last year and the year before, and I think everybody jumped on the bandwagon, but now even personally I know how, yeah, how bad that can be for somebody who's not across their savings exactly.
Speaker 3: And I am again, I think you've worked out pretty quickly that I'm pretty blunt when it comes to money stuff. I don't like them. I don't like them at all. I don't advocate for them. I don't work with any of these brands because they genuinely put the consumer in a worse off position. They don't actually care about your future mental or financial health. And for me, even their marketing is getting really tricky, Like their marketing is like, oh, use the better way to pay or you know, buy now, pay later, and you're just like, wow, that sounds so sexy because you know, don't want to cough up that amount, But it's.
Speaker 4: Just a credit card debt dressed up as something else.
Speaker 3: And they will all say, yeah, but Victoria, we don't have any level of interest. So like, if you meet your payments, it's actually better for your cash flow. You go, no, it's not, because not everybody can meet those payments forever. Like you're making this financial commitment for it might be fifty dollars a week for the next four weeks. That at the time doesn't seem to matter, but we can't predict our financial future. And what if you didn't get any shifts next week and you didn't have that fifty dollars in you know, your payment bounced or something wasn't able to go through or was in the wrong account. Like we end up racking up debt on these things so so quickly. And it's kind of like, all right, I get it. Most fashion retails have it on their website, right, But the real question here is why do you need If you're planning on purchasing a two hundred dollar dress, why do you need an installment? Why do you have to pay for it installments? If you need that dress, and if that's a choice that you're making, let's actually put some time between us and our spending and go cool, I really want a new dress. I'm going to my friend's wedding, Start putting that fifty bucks aside, and then buy that dress, because I guarantee you one, your taste will probably change in that period of time because you'll go, oh, you're right. I was just on the iconic and I just made a really short lived decision, and I really wanted to buy it right then and there. But two, you're learning to save and create good habits for yourself financially, and little things that feel really easy actually put us back and don't enable us to create financial habits that are going to service for the long term. So for me, no, I don't love by now pay late schemes. But as businesses they're genius, right, They managed to make millions of dollars each year and the businesses themselves are worth close to a billion dollars. But as consumers and as women, we really should be wary of that these things because they are a slippery slope of getting yourself into debt.
Speaker 1: But on that just I don't know if this is a myth or not, but we've always been told that using after payings it pay and all these installment payments can really affect your credit score. So when all of a sudden, we're like, oh, if you've been using en after pay for this long and you go to buy a house, they'll look at your credit score and you'll be told, no, is that a myth? Or is this there is no pun intended? But is there some credit to that? Haha?
Speaker 4: Do not start me on this.
Speaker 3: So one of the biggest buy now pay later companies that's currently using a Mythbuster's marketing. It's their current marketing campaign, right, and they're like, this buy now pay later app doesn't impact your credit score. They're not wrong. It does not impact your credit score. If you use it properly, nothing will go in your credit score at all. Credit score is are reflective of bad credit history, so if you actually miss a payment or you go into debt with them, then it's going to turn up on your credit score. But when we go for mortgages in twenty twenty one, you don't just go, hey, my credit scores X and give me a mortgage. Banks actually audit your last three months worth of buying, and they look at all your bank statements, and they look at your credit history. They're able to find out what credit cards you have had, what learn inquiries you have done what's going on with your personal finances, and when they see things like buy now, pay later schemes and repayments coming up on your bank statement, they look at it and they go, right, well, she can't manage her cash flow, She's not a good candidate for me to lend money to because if she can't manage her finance is well enough to actually buy dresses or buy things that are usually discretionary, and discretionary things are things we don't necessarily need, then why would I give her a mortgage even if she has got the savings. And we see this time and time again because I own a mortgage broking business as well, So I'm not just talking to you guys from the point of view where I'm like, oh, yeah, I've heard it, because I have a podcast, like I'm a legit financial advisor. I own a mortgage broken company, and I can unequivocally say I have had clients denied mortgages because they have had bad spending habits or they've had too much Uber eats.
Speaker 4: That's another one that my guilty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I've seen it come up where you know, the bank's like, oh, they're spending habits are wild, like they clearly have the savings, but over the last three months, like especially during COVID, they've been really lacked, so we're not comfortable servicing them. We just don't want to extend an offer, and you go, oh, okay. So one of my biggest things is if you are at a point where you are planning on buying a home and you're going for a mortgage, do three months worth of perfect spending like get rid of you buy now pay later schemes, start really making sure that you're making clear deposits to your savings accounts, you know, make less discretionary spend. So when the lender looks into your bank history and your spending history, they go, wow, BRIT's pretty responsible. You can see on here for the last three month months, she's put money into savings, she doesn't spend excessively on uber EAT's, she's not using by now pay later schemes, and you are more likely to look like a sexy candidate to a lender. And I think that that's really important as well, because these by now pay later schemes they say, oh, it doesn't impact your credit history. You're like, you're right, it doesn't if I use it responsibly. But credit history isn't the only thing that a bank takes into consideration.
Speaker 1: And that's such and it's just an education thing, isn't it. Because I know for me, I have only I'm really good with credit cards, like I've never had a credit card bill, because I've been good with just using money that I have. Yeah, But one thing I didn't know and I've always been guilty of, was I always had the money in the bank in my younger years, but when I went to purchase something I used after pay, the money was there. But in my mind, it was like, cool, if it's not affecting anything, it makes me feel better not seeing this lump sum go out at once, And I just think it's an education thing. We don't realize how that's going to affect us down the track. So I think that's really important for people to know now that if you a like me and you had the money, but it made you feel a little bit better to see larger sums in your bank for longer, just really rethink that if you're going to buy it anyway, like you said, just purchase it now so that one day when you want to go get your loan.
Speaker 2: There's nothing that's going to stop you from doing that.
Speaker 3: But also I think the question there is then, okay, well, if you didn't want the money to go out of the bank more than you wanted that dress or those shoes, like should you really be making that decision in the first place, Like if you want to keep that two hundred dollars in your account more than you want the dress, I think you really should be considering that as something that's actually positive and a really good money habit. Whereas by now pay later schemes and you know, companies are enabling you to go, oh, it doesn't matter, it's only fifty dollars now instead of the full two hundred, and you go, oh, that makes me feel better, But in reality, you're not better off financially. You just feel better in that moment. And I think making decisions, you really need to consider whether it's actually better fitting you or if it's putting future you behind. And I talk a lot on my podcast about really prioritizing future you because they are so special and so important and they're going to be so grateful when you have made a whole heap of great money decisions for them. And if you keep making money decisions that puts future you behind, Like that's not the kindest thing you can do to yourself.
Speaker 1: And realistically, like doing things like this, I mean any sort of like lay by system or anything where you're taking a shortcut but you're just then kicking your debt down the road doesn't actually get you in any better financial situation. I mean, I know for me, and one of the reasons why I was really stroked to get you on here is because when I started my business, I didn't know how to do a business. And like, I know that we're going to have some more of these conversations coming up. But I got out of credit card and was funding my business via credit card because I didn't fucking know what else to do. I need a cash flow, I didn't have investors, and I ended up just buying stock on credit and then hoping to sell it. And it was not how you start a business. And I'm going to come out and say that first off, guys, but I got myself into a situation where all I was doing was further kicking debt down the road and just paying off the interest on that debt, and I was never actually able to get back on top of it. And I think if you are ever in a position where that is all you're doing, that's where the anxiety starts to come in because you get this to this point where you're like, I'm never ever going to get on top of this. And I think especially when it's a voluntary thing, when it's like, oh, you're putting yourself in this position because it's over a dress or a handbag or something that's really inconsequential to your life, actually the purchase at the end of the day, be really mindful with that, because yeah, definitely got myself into a bit of a problem with after.
Speaker 2: Pay as well.
Speaker 4: Be warned, my friends, We've lived it.
Speaker 1: Guys, Victoria, we have so many like, so many subcategories that we wanted to talk to you about. Then we do want to talk to you about, but there's literally not enough time in these episodes. So we are one hundred percent going to get you back because I feel like for us, this was just like a real overview, very basic overview where we wanted to touch on a few topics just to get the brain ticking and really try and reassess all of our own situations. But we'll definitely get you back on. But before we let you go, you have a book that is.
Speaker 2: Coming out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to this live tomorrow, which is June sixteenth, if you've listened in the past, that's when it's come out.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your book.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited about my book. I think the main selling point here is it's peach with gold foil, Like my publishers literally put goldfoil on my book, which obviously that means you should buy it.
Speaker 4: But for me, writing a.
Speaker 3: Book was so powerful because I just felt, like, you know, I started this podcast from a place of love, and I started it because I'm so wildly passionate about empowering particularly women to just take control of their financial lives. And you know, it never started from me going I'm going to start a business, Like I was just like genuinely young and dumb and just thought, oh, this will be fun, like podcasts are cool, we feel your baby, yeah, not realizing the impact that we could have and it was so fun to do. But then I realized the impact I was having, and you know, then being asked to publish a book was me going wow, like this is an extension of the reach the podcast has and this opportunity to change lives, and so for me that she's on. The Money book is your end to end guide to financial freedom and creating a financial life that you're really proud of. We cover everything from money stories and reframing what your money story looks like because your money history and your money story is not your fault, all the way through to budgeting and cash flow and how to invest and in fact how much money it costs to have a baby in Australia, from a number of different experiences from women I've spoken to, all the way through to retirement, which is not as sexy, but I do try to make it sound a little bit sexy. But it's genuinely a book that I'm so proud of because I feel like it's one of those things that I feel like I'm gifting people and I'm just like, you know what, I've written this book and if you read it, it'll be everything that you need to know to make sure that you stay out of debt and you stay on the right path and you can achieve financial freedom within this lifetime.
Speaker 4: So that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Bok I did sneakily read it. I know, yeah, I sneakly got to read it.
Speaker 4: You did, and it really is.
Speaker 1: Amazing, And I mean, I think the thing about you is that the reason your podcast has so much reach and has been so popular is because you do simplify things, and you do make things on a level that we can all understand, whether we do have that business mind or that finance mind. You make it so like it just broke down how much we could save when we go into retirement. When you break it down to something so simple, it really has so much more effect and it's so much more powerful. So, guys, if this interests you at all and you're looking to make some changes in your life, or you want to buy a house, or maybe you just want to go and buy those Gucci bags, read Victoria's book, and Victoria before we go, tell everyone where else they can find you. Where's your podcast? What's your Instagram handle?
Speaker 3: So the podcast is She's on the Money, and hopefully you can type that into any podcasting app and find us. If you can't, I'm concerned, then on Instagram where She's on the Money aus And if you want to find me personally, I am on Instagram at Victoria Underscore divine.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for taking time for us today, Vittoria. It's been the best.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, thank you for hanging out. We'll see you again, Sue, We will and it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, stay tuned, guys. Okay, guys, you know we never finish an episode without our suck and our sweet, our highlight and our low light of the week.
Speaker 2: So Laura, you can kick it off this week. What's your suck?
Speaker 1: Well, my suck is that I spent the beginning of this week in hospital with Lola. As you guys already know, especially if you listened to the last episode, Lola had some funky eye thing happening.
Speaker 2: Who I Well, it wasn't pink eye. It was ocular colitis. What was it? From Pooh? Marley gave Lola pink eye? I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Look, if we're going to try and figure out what happened, I reckon a pretty educated guess is that Marley stuck her finger in Lola's eye.
Speaker 2: That's like if I'm just gonna take a wild stab in the dark. Look it was Matt, Marley or you so that it would take a wild stab in the eye.
Speaker 1: I reckon it was Marley So I was in the hospital for a couple of days with Lola. Hospitals are very uncomfortable. It's just a really grim place. Like it's amazing in that, like the hospital staff are incredible throughout the children's hospital. Being there with something that's like so non life threatening, you know, something that was like pretty benign, and she just needed to have antibiotics. For seeing how amazing the staff was was like, that's a really special thing. The sweet of my week is I mean, the suit of my week is both my kids. But Molly is just for her vocabulary, Like she can say so many things now it's her birthday this weekend she's turning to and it just blows my mind how many words she can say now, and like the sass that they say it in as well. And I know that anyone who's not a mum is probably just gonna be like eyey, boring kids stuff. But like even the other day I came home, I'd just gone up to go get a coffee and I walked in the door and opened the door and.
Speaker 2: She goes, hey, where are you bean? You're too what do you mean? Where have I been?
Speaker 1: Also, I can't believe she's too okay, wage you know, she said to Lola today, so ill and I'm gonna stop. I realized this, but I call Lola like my little fatty right, which I know someone's gonna be listening to this, like you're gonna put some deep seated trauma into your child. Stop doing it. She's four months old. She will never remember these, these times of her life. But I realized I can't say this because this morning I had Lola and Marley in bed, and Marley just rolls over to Lola and goes lollly off fat I was.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm a terrible mother.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're vacuums, like you don't even realize you say something that they listen.
Speaker 2: They pick everything up. But anyway, Marley's just like she's just the best. She's so fine. Okay, So no more fatty Lola. No, I can't call it.
Speaker 1: No, no, you can't call your kid names, even like endearingly, because she's just so cutely the little legs and little arms and a little billy and it just want to eat She's like a potato with eyes.
Speaker 2: You definitely want to eat her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I want to slow cook her and put some salafree too, much.
Speaker 2: She's not Nutchos. I hate my sack. My suck is really quick and easy.
Speaker 1: I ordered some shoes online and they came in my size, but they sent me men's shoes.
Speaker 2: That is so annoying. So they're too big.
Speaker 1: Well, they sent you your size, but men's side. Yeah, so it's too big. So I got the right size for men. And that's really annoying because I don't have time now. I leave him four days, so like hate life. Just spent three days at the hospital. Yeah, no, look, we cannot compare our sucks this week.
Speaker 2: We cannot. No.
Speaker 1: Look, that's the worst thing that happened to me this week, and that was literally I could think about. So I've had a pretty good week. My suite was going to the Hunter Valley with my family. I can't deny that. We're a real family family, so we love hanging out. We're all really good friends. My parents. We don't look at my parents like parents, they look at us like kids. We're all just like friends. So we just had the best time. We had so much laughter, We ate so much. We drunk so much, and every single time I do it, I'm like, I need to do this more. I need to and I think with what's going on in the world too, I think it's important that we do start to prioritize family and friends a little bit more. I've been really slack on that behalf. I just let work overwhelm me, and all of a sudden, six months goes past, and I think everyone will resonate with what I mean by that, where all of a sudden, we're in the middle of the year. It's the middle of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I just got really deep for a minute, but I call someone and telling me you love. I feel like this happens every year. I feel like every year.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just like that we're getting older, but the older you get, the faster the years ago, and the faster we're careening towards our deaths.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Life Long No, I completely agree.
Speaker 1: But I also think that there's going to be a lot of people out there who are listening to this who have been separated from their families in the last year or year and a half, whatever it's been. And as much as we want to prioritize our families, there's definitely going to be people out there who aren't able to at the moment, so like, whatever it is, zoom FaceTime, call them, text them.
Speaker 2: This is your little reminder.
Speaker 1: You know, I think that we always get through the day and we're like, oh shit, I was supposed to call Nan today, I'll call it tomorrow. Oh shit, I'll call her on this day. And I know I do it all the time as well. So if you needed this reminder to call your Nan or your mom or somebody who you love and you've been putting it off, just call them Cinema text.
Speaker 2: And if you are still separating from your family, we are.
Speaker 1: We really feel for you, and our thoughts are with you, and we hope that you do get to see them very very soon. Now, guys, if you love the episode, you know the drill, go leave a review, subscribe, jump on the Facebook group which is Life Uncut Discussion group, and also follow us on Instagram which is.
Speaker 2: Also Life on Cut podcast.
Speaker 1: And tell your mom, take your dad, tell your friends, and tell everyone and share the love because we love that