Speaker 1: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our Friday Drinks.
Speaker 3: Episodes and as you guys.
Speaker 2: Know, still from Lockdown, where we get to celebrate the wins from our She's on the Money community. This week in particular, we have had some really good conversations in our team Slack group about what you guys have been up to and I can't wait to dive into it. But before we get there, Tony, what happened on our Monday morning money Diary?
Speaker 4: Our money direst this week talked about how she had this perfect life at Perfect Life in New Zealand, the boat, the house by the water, super happy, and then went through a divorce and kind of packed up, paid off of a debt and.
Speaker 3: Moved overseas and to Thailand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moved to Thailand.
Speaker 4: She's teaching over there and she's loving it. And while she did say that it hasn't been the perfect you know, holiday life with COVID going on and everything, but she's loving it and she's making great money and she's like still contributing to her Kiwi Saver, which is very cool.
Speaker 2: Very important as well, guys, uh.
Speaker 4: Huh yeah, And it was a really good listen, just real eye opening one to kind of you don't really understand what's going on behind closed doors. And while someone's life might seem so perfect and so easy, it's you know, it can be really hard. So there's a great listen if you've if you've got a spare halfer, you've got a.
Speaker 3: Spare halfer, you probably should check it out.
Speaker 2: I also really liked that episode, Tony, because I feel like we don't often get to see the flip side of a relationship. It's always, you know, on She's on the money. We've had a number of I guess cheating stories where our Money Diarist has been cheated on in one way or another, or someone's been unfaithful, and this story was the flip, like our Money Diarist was the person who cheated on their partner, and I found it really eye opening seeing from their point of view of what was going on and how that worked. And it doesn't normalize it, it doesn't make it okay, but I just found it really interesting, maybe because I'm always into the pervy stuff, Tony, but just to see from the other side, like how did you get there?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Because I think we all say things like I'd never x y Z, But up until the point in the Money Diary where she said it was actually me. I think Tony, you and I were on zoom and we're like, oh, he's gonna have cheated on her, Like I could.
Speaker 3: See it coming.
Speaker 2: But then she was like, then I cheated on him, and I was like, oh, oh, that's not what I expected. And it was just so authentic of her to share that and being open and honest about that. I think was just really special from our community that she trusted us with that story, because it's not often that you turn around and be like, oh, hey, jes, I did XYZ to my partner, because you would often expect a lot of judgment in return. But for her to trust us with that story was really special. And I've got now nothing but respect for her and her journey and what she's doing to like just be who she wants to be moving forward. So I think, yeah, it was just really special to share that story, and I guess learn from it, and that's what we're all about as a community, is like learning from each other's mistakes and learning from each other's journeys, and I think that's, yeah, from my perspective, really special. So moving away from that, miss Jessica Rici, what did we do on this Wednesday's episode?
Speaker 5: Well, perhaps in an appropriate follow up from that, we spoke about binding financial agreements.
Speaker 3: D how topical.
Speaker 6: I know you may have heard me coming.
Speaker 5: Over for about thirty seconds at the start, but it was the best thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: Honestly, guys, just come for that.
Speaker 5: But no, we actually brought an expur in because we thought talking about binding financial agreements, obviously there's a lot of technicalities. We're talking about actual legally binding documents, and it was really important to us to get this right. So we brought our really good friend Lucy in.
Speaker 7: And she not my dog. I was just about to say.
Speaker 3: My dog Lucy. For those of you playing along at home.
Speaker 2: Lucy Percy is not a sheeper doodle. She's actually a family and a state planning lawyer, which is obviously a bit smarter than my dog that can now play dead.
Speaker 3: So yeah, with Lucy if.
Speaker 6: It was a really interesting chat around.
Speaker 5: I guess the concept of a prenup is something we see a lot in American culture and TV and rvies. It's not well lean up, but it's actually not really a thing here. And that's why a binding financial agreement is kind of our equivalent.
Speaker 6: It definitely is a little bit different.
Speaker 5: And so Lucy gave us some really great insights into what it means when you might want one, what the proce is, and all of those really interesting nitty gritty things.
Speaker 2: This is true, and Lucy is a good friend of the show. I know that our team have used her personally. I send a lot of clients to her. I've sent family members to her. I really trust her. So hopefully we can get her in on a few more episodes to pick her brains. And you know, sounds smarter than we actually are.
Speaker 3: So speaking of smarter than us, Ryan.
Speaker 7: What welcome here? I am smarter.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 6: Not where that was going at all.
Speaker 2: That's where I respect it. I respect the opportunity he sees. Hey, Ryan, what happened in the community this week?
Speaker 8: Well, last week on Friday Drinks, we talked about getting things, getting big things in small cars because VU were saying, how you got something from Facebook marketplace?
Speaker 2: Now that was yet oh yeah, yeah, And that was really embarrassing in.
Speaker 7: The kitchen and Jess, what did you get into the small car?
Speaker 6: And I care couch to the back of the micraft. Thank you all right.
Speaker 8: Shout out to Beck Madden who got a great Dane into Hyonde gets.
Speaker 7: That's very well done.
Speaker 8: Rhiannon got a queen sized bed from my here into her friend's Hyonda Gets.
Speaker 7: Shout out to the high little.
Speaker 2: Sister used to drive a Hyonda Gets. Unfortunately it got written off, but she would have had it until the day she died. It is a ripper of a little car like zips around, so speedy, but also just like practical, like guys the boots Spaci, so spacious.
Speaker 8: So spacious, Beck said, I once fit one hundred handbags that I collected as donations to Share the Dignity for the It's in the Bag campaign. One hundred handbags into the back of a Mazda Tu. Well, that's huge And can I gu you are.
Speaker 2: Either doing something for Share the Dignity or you're a thief.
Speaker 3: There is between.
Speaker 5: Share the Dignity are an awesome, awesome organization that I personally really love and support. If you haven't had them, definitely look them up. They're essentially trying to equalize access to sanitary products for people who bleed. It's a really important thing period. Poverty is actually really prevalent here in Australia, which I didn't know before.
Speaker 6: Seeing their work.
Speaker 5: So huge for getting one hundred handbags in the car for that alone. Go check out the.
Speaker 8: Instagram and a random one here that was I don't know if it's definitely just Which is the passing comment from Beck Mackay.
Speaker 7: She said, Literally every week I.
Speaker 8: Think of a cool money win and I'm always like, oh, I should totally put it on the thread for next week, and then I always forget. And then every Friday I hear the episode and go, damn it. I forgot this, damn it that could have been me.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 8: Then I said, oh I, Beck, thanks for commenting, did you have one to share this week? And she didn't get it in before the time of recording, so her bad treat.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Beck, who clearly listens to every Friday.
Speaker 7: Episode Mapye, who right now will be going damn it again.
Speaker 5: But Beck, we read that thread all week long and it's up and live all week long, and every Monday I close the previous week's thread. So if you think of it on a Wednesday, just because it's not Monday doesn't mean can't post Love it in, Love it in.
Speaker 2: And it's also really helpful, Jess, because I found myself always looking for the thread in the Facebook group, and the fact that you now close them means I don't get confused over what's live and what's not and where should I comment and where shouldn't I.
Speaker 3: It's like you're a genius at community management.
Speaker 6: You're so welcome.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 8: So. Veronica bought a at home nail kit that was recommended by a friend, and we talk about.
Speaker 7: Cost per wear and cost per use.
Speaker 8: She said, after I use it three times, i'll be ahead, and after that I'll save so much money by not going to the nail salon every three or four weeks.
Speaker 7: So that is a huge thing.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many messages I get per week asking me what nail kit I use? Because I do my own nails at home, which you guys would know. In fact, i'm doing them right now. But I use the Opalac kit from Priceline. Adore it, and it was on special when I bought it for fifty bucks, including like three colors, top Base and the light, which I think is a really good deal, which for me and Jess. You know, I don't know Tony, if you've gotten your nails done with us in the city pre covid life, but it's about fifty bucks to get your nails done in the city, so my cost per wear is very very low one. But yeah, it's like one time use and she's good to go. But it is a bit more tricky than people think. It is, like you do have to kind of concentrate.
Speaker 7: So not to be glad you're doing that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm just really good at it, guys us Jess, I'm really good at it all right.
Speaker 8: Alease in New Zealand. Now, New Zealand has a way more simple way of getting your tax done than in Australia.
Speaker 3: It's like actually just better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they just do everything better than us.
Speaker 3: The better they do tax better.
Speaker 2: They let you use your KILEI saver for your first home or you don't have that option with superannuation. Honestly, I think they just they've got better air quality, Like what else have they got?
Speaker 8: So Alis said, I was wondering when I should expect my money from my tax returns. So I logged into the ird account that they have, and she realized she hadn't actually received her tax return since twenty eighteen. So she contacted them and they said, yep, we just didn't have a bank account to send it to. So she got the past three years worth of tax returns in one hit, in one day.
Speaker 3: It's not a money when I don't know.
Speaker 8: What all, right, Emmy, which this is something that no one can relate to.
Speaker 7: Emmy said, I was gonna sold a super yacht.
Speaker 3: No, oh, that's just packer, okay.
Speaker 8: Emmy said, I ordered delivery on Friday, but the restaurant didn't have the exact thing that I wanted, So instead of getting something else, I saved twenty one dollars by not ordering it and just eating what I had in my fridge.
Speaker 7: A good job.
Speaker 2: Something else that I didn't actually want to eat, but it would have been defiance and not wanting to cook.
Speaker 8: Christie said, five years ago, I bought a horse float like you know, the trailer also, but.
Speaker 7: Okay, for sixteen thousand dollars it cost for the trailer.
Speaker 2: Sixteen sorry, could you just repeat that?
Speaker 7: Sixteen thousand? She bought it for so.
Speaker 3: Much money for five not even self driving.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know you'd want it to drive itself for that.
Speaker 3: Does it come with the horse?
Speaker 2: Is it like when you go to the toy shop and you pick up a Barbie horse trailer and it comes with the horses and the Barbie and all of the accessories.
Speaker 3: Or is it just the trailer.
Speaker 8: I'd be asking for those things, but it is just the trailer. Sixteen thousand dollars five years ago. She sold it yesterday for sixteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Five years later Legend borrowed it for free.
Speaker 3: For those years.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 8: Steph Grace finished second in her footy tips at work one hundred and fifty bucks.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much coming you could.
Speaker 3: You give me your hot tips.
Speaker 2: I'm terrible at footy tips, honestly forgetting about them.
Speaker 8: Alie Stewart said, I needed some trackies because mine were falling apart, and we're all working from home wearing trackies all day. So I think gave and can understand that. Ali said, found two nice pairs from Bonds and Bonds trackies are like stock, but.
Speaker 7: They're like get the job done. We're they're real fancy.
Speaker 8: Recommended retail price sixty five dollars, but they were on sale for nineteen dollars and if you sign up with an account you get free shipping, and she got a ten dollar birthday voucher, which means overall she saved over one hundred bucks on a couple of pairs of nice fancy Trackie. So well, that is a fifty percent of per pare well, good work, Ali, and I respect getting you track he is as someone who's literally sitting at my kitchen table now wearing the Danger's track ones.
Speaker 3: Are the most comfortable ones.
Speaker 8: Frying in Well, I'm inspired by Alie nonetheless, so thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All Right, we are back and I have a piece of content for you guys that I would love to share because I think it plays really well into my money loss of the week orbe at Mine's complay my fault, whereas this story is actually not their fault.
Speaker 3: It's just really bad.
Speaker 2: But I was reading this week in the news that there is a very bizarre reason of New South Wales couple keep getting incorrect penalty notices. Can any of you guys like guess why they might keep getting fines in the mail that aren't actually meant for them.
Speaker 6: Someone didn't update their address.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their address, definitely, you reckon.
Speaker 2: It's actually because the fine system in New South Wales can't tell the difference on their toll roads between zero and the letter O, so.
Speaker 6: So it seems like it would be a problem.
Speaker 2: It is, but since twenty eighteen they have been getting fines for other people's cars in their name, which I think is absolutely ridiculous and obviously wildly unnecessary. But apparently they keep getting chased up on it. And apparently it's not even a car. It's a little scooter so it's even smaller, which I think it's very cute, but at the same time that's so nice.
Speaker 3: I'd start to get.
Speaker 2: Really frustrated if I was getting fine sent to me that I know I didn't actually incur.
Speaker 8: It'll be one of those ones where you would call them up and they'd be like, oh, sorry, it's just because the and you're like, I know, why just stops.
Speaker 7: Saying something from happening, and they're like, oh, it's just a glitch in the system. Sorry, and you're like, well, just do something.
Speaker 5: But think about how many number plates you see that have a zero in them, Like, are you telling me that every single time one of those cars goes through, like surely that is a problem that someone should be fixing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you know what's more frustrating about this? Or I would find it frustrating, like obviously they're not paying these because they're not their fines, but they have to go through the whole toll process and we all know if we get a fine, to go through the dispute process is like pulling teeth and trying to get through their call center is a nightmare. And then you have to submit your claim online. Yes, it's like that time that you had to ride into the parking place to get your money back, like it's unnecessary, life admin. But guys, a, the fines they've ranged between eleven and fourteen.
Speaker 5: Dollars, so they're not even what but you know what the problem is if they don't pay there, if it's anything like Victoria, not speaking from experience, but if you don't pay like a tollvine, that's literally like twenty bucks if you if it keeps like coming, and if you've maybe moved addresses and weren't getting the letters for example, it goes to like the police and it's an automatic five hundred dollar fine.
Speaker 2: It's so much money, like a twenty so much money and as attorning, you guys are going to be shook about this as well. I mean it kind of makes sense because we all know that the administration fees often outweigh the actual fine. But the actual fines about three dollars, and then the admin fee that they're being charged on.
Speaker 3: Top of that was ten dollars.
Speaker 2: But that just kind of seems like a lie to me because I can't see a toll road in Victoria that's less than fifteen dollars to travel on. So what do you mean you got three dollars toll road New South Wales.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's actually crazy, is it? Because it's a scooter like smaller vehicles smaller that's a good paint.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Should I get a scooter?
Speaker 2: Am I going to save a whole heap of money on toll roads?
Speaker 6: Put Lucy in the front basket and.
Speaker 2: One of those scooters with the side cars and I'd be like, it's money, win guys and saving money on the tolls.
Speaker 4: Or imagine like going to Kohle's and putting like your Enviro bags like on the handles of a scooter and just like yeating yourself down free.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said before, guys, this actually segues, which is like maybe this weird kind of scooter sending ways into my money confession of the week. And well, so recently, you guys know, I bought a new car, which is very exciting, and we've also been in lockdown. So I've been home and there's been a few times I've had to drive places, you know, in between lockdowns since I got my car, because I've had it for a few months now, so she's she's doing well. Just for those of you wanting to know. And because I've registered my car in the business, any potential fines actually being sent to the office and because we're lockdown, I'm not going to get them at the moment. And it turns out I completely forgot to register my new number plate with the toll roads here in Victoria. So not only have I incurred tolls that I have to pay, which is fine and fair, and I kind of saw those coming because the male's been going to the office and I haven't been that prompt in getting it. I now have penalties on top.
Speaker 7: Of those more than the actual Yeah they are.
Speaker 4: How much are we talking?
Speaker 3: It's a couple of hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've actually got to add them together because there's more than one.
Speaker 3: But that's all right, we'll get there.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's me being really unorganized, but also bitten in the bottom by the toll roads in Victoria, which is again probably my own fault, because Tony, you know where I live, I easily could drive not on the tolls on the top.
Speaker 7: Get I hope getting there eighty seconds earlier was worth it.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm gaining as well, Ryan. So what have you got, Ryan to share with us? A money win or a confession? What are you putting on the table this week?
Speaker 8: I've got I'm going to call it a money win. I am recording from home today and not the Kiss Studios, the radio station where I work at, because everyone at Kiss has been given too free annual leave, not annually leave like mental health and how I've seen some companies they're like, oh, the whole company's having a day off, or they we're having a lot week shutdown. So we got a few days to use in September whenever we wanted, So it wasn't like a whole company on a certain day. They just use them whenever you want, and I thought, well, with the long weekend coming up in Melbourne for the Grand Final, I thought i'd stack them together, so very nut. It's not money in my pocket, but it's a bit of a break without using up my annual leave.
Speaker 7: That makes sense. So I think that was a win.
Speaker 8: And obviously pretty stoked with the company when that email came out and I was just like, yep, just let you manage, you know, and take the day off.
Speaker 7: And I was like, see you later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually really kind of them, which I super appreciate.
Speaker 3: But I love kiss Obviously we have a lot to do with them. But I do have a question.
Speaker 2: Isn't taking a mental health day part of your sick leave anyway?
Speaker 7: Like shouldn't get mental health?
Speaker 3: Is just you neat them.
Speaker 7: It's not called a mental health day.
Speaker 8: It just said everyone's busy and whatnot, and so you just get a day off like a bonus day.
Speaker 2: Okay, not like a mental health day, just like bonus leaf, which is kind of nice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, it can be working from home and you know, zoom burnout and people are sitting Oh that's real.
Speaker 2: I don't think people talk enough about that, but Zoom burnout and just burn out during this period of time is so real, and it's so exhausting as well, because you're like, I shouldn't be tired, like literally haven't left in my house, but I feel like I'm lacking a lot of sleep.
Speaker 3: So if you need it, take it.
Speaker 2: But I guess that's also a nice bonus for you, Ryan, but also a little bit of permission to our community that if you haven't taken a mental health day, you are more than welcome to take mental health care days under your.
Speaker 3: Actual sick leave.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, you don't need to be physically ill to be sick.
Speaker 7: Said, Yeah, sure, that's what I care for.
Speaker 2: Use it, and I feel like it actually makes you a more productive employee. Like Ryan, these additional days off, like you're going to return to work feeling far more energized and like back in it because you've had enough time to like rest and restore and.
Speaker 3: Like actually just get it together.
Speaker 2: Whereas if you just don't take those days off, the burnout is so bad, like lasts for ages.
Speaker 8: But yeah, just taking a day to get better is actually better for not just you, but the the business. They'd rather have a healthy and productive in three days time. Then don't tell my stuff that let's be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So Tony or Jess, who's going next?
Speaker 4: I can go next because I don't have a money win or a confession.
Speaker 2: Cool which my contributing don't.
Speaker 4: Need my money win because I'm not spending any money at the moment.
Speaker 3: I've got nothing to contribute. And that's actually a win.
Speaker 4: I love that because we're at home still and I've you know, been taking it really easy on online shopping, and we haven't really been you know, ordering lots of food or doing anything fun. So I feel like my win is that I'm I've broken even I really like that.
Speaker 3: I think that's really good.
Speaker 2: I have a question, Tony, do you reckon that's a lead on from your accountability August like reset, because like you were like, no, I'm not going to do any discretionary spending, like no online shopping, and it was like this like hard and fast rule for you. Now you're like, oh, I'm just not doing any Do you think you changed your habits?
Speaker 4: I think it's definitely part of it, because I've done less scrolling and less adding to cart, and things just don't seem to be adding up the way that they did. I think as well. You guys were just saying about the zoom burnout. I think even to shop on my phone or on my computer after work. I just don't even want to sit at my computer at all. I don't want to listen to anything. I don't want to see anything like I've been reading on the weekend lately, watching the TV like I'm just sick of looking at screens. So maybe that's part of it. Maybe the zoom burnout is good because I'm spending less fun.
Speaker 2: Money win money when I'm burnt out.
Speaker 4: Guys, do you have a money win Jess?
Speaker 6: I have so.
Speaker 5: Last week I had what was meant to be a win and turned into a loss. This week I have what was kind of a loss but also sort of turned into a win.
Speaker 2: I'm really all clutching its straws a little bit.
Speaker 5: So the start of this week, I woke up one morning to discover my boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Had done the laundry. Gat Yeah, you would think so.
Speaker 5: Upon further inspection, I discovered that he had washed a jumper of mine and Victoria, this was actually a gift that you gave me. It's a Mowhir jumper, No. One of the yellow one the yellow one you guys know that I wear all the time. It's one of the nicest things that I own. It's like a two hundred dollars jumper.
Speaker 7: O honey.
Speaker 5: He put it through the wash on like regular cycle and it now looks like it's made for a six year old.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, right, all right, So we can recover from this. We can recover from this. Go get a bucket of cold water or like a tub of cold water and put a whole heap of conditioner in it and let it soak. And then what you're going to do is like ring it out gently, put it on top of a towel and start stretching it out. Because the conditioner, because it's like a natural fiber in its mow hair, it's going to start stretched like it's going to lose the stress in the fiber and it's going to stretch back out.
Speaker 3: Over a period of time. So you are welcome.
Speaker 2: This could become a really good money win for not only you, but other people who have maybe shrunk. They're very nice jumpers in the washing machine.
Speaker 7: So this is a win that became a last that's now a win.
Speaker 2: It's actually hot tip from my mum, so shout out to Judy. She usually knows everything about everything, if I'm being honest, the more you know, yeah, you're wellcare.
Speaker 6: I was going to tell a second half that story, but it doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 2: Now She's like, well, I actually it was made for toddlers, so I sold it on Deep Pop.
Speaker 3: No toddler.
Speaker 5: I stormed into the study holding the jumper like the evidence of crime.
Speaker 3: Jumper and obviously read the care label jets.
Speaker 6: No, not at all. I don't think he even knows that they exist, but so obviously.
Speaker 5: He was very apologetic and immediately promised to purchase a new one.
Speaker 3: Out you can fix it.
Speaker 5: It did come out a little while ago, so they didn't even know if you'd still be able to get it, but he jumped on the website and turns out they're currently on sale for seventy dollars, so he replaced it for obviously a lot less than it was purchased four which is a win, but a loss, but a win, you know. But now you'll have too, Well if I fix the other one, yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, yess, you know what you should do? Fix it then sell for two hundred dollars and you never bought it in the first place. It was a gift, So you've really come out on top here. You're gonna make money.
Speaker 6: This is a money win, win, win win.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to hear the update next week.
Speaker 6: I'm going to try the softener thing that Victoria suggested. I did not know that. I'm very excited to see.
Speaker 2: So for more money hacks, tips and tricks and all your laundry needs, tune in next week to She's on the Money. But as always, guys, I think that's all we have time for today. But just before we are head off, we'd like to acknowledge and pay our respects to Australia's Aboriginal and torrest Right Islander people's. They're the traditional custodians of the lands, the waterways and the skies all across Australia. We thank you for sharing and for caring for the land on which we.
Speaker 3: Are able to learn.
Speaker 2: We pay our respects to elders past and present, and we share our friendship and our kindness.
Speaker 4: The advice shared on Cheese on the Money is generally nature and does not con your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision, and we promise. Victoria Divine is an authorized representative of Australia Pacific Funds Management Proprietary Limited ABM three four one three two four six three two five seven AFSL three three nine one five one.
Speaker 2: See you next week, guys,