Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. What was that? How you doing? Welcome to the nineties. I'd like to flip I made this look good. Messa Sheffield is nineteen ninety. You can't handle the true, go.
Speaker 2: Say her.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell's eight Z of the Nineties. Yeah, baby, all right? The letter this week, it's all about this letter is letter F. Thank you very much? How get every week? He comes next? Ready to do those for us.
Speaker 3: It's all about the letter F before we get into Ferby's and flip phones. The movie that Jack and I watched yesterday, it's about viewing number eight or nine for me. Was this seminal classic from the nineties, directed by John Woo, starring two megastars, John Travolta and Nick Cage face Off.
Speaker 2: I've been chasing this guy ever since I had joined the force. He's the most dangerous and brilliant criminal mind I've ever known. And now, after all this time, I finally figured out a way to trap him. Will become him.
Speaker 1: Try terrorism for hire. We'll blow some stuff up.
Speaker 2: It's more fine, plan B. Let's just kill each other.
Speaker 1: What a movie. One of the greatest comedies ever made.
Speaker 3: Only thing is they didn't make it as a comedy, as if watching it yesterday, seriously about the eighth of the length of time, and there's so many much what I'm crying with laughter because it's so over the top and ludicrous. It's very clear that they just came up with the title face Off, and then worried about the sort of plot, script, character development, all those proper things. Barely even wired about. This is because it's called face off. They have a surgical operation. They remove each other's faces and wear them so Jack, before we go any further, we're both very, very excited about face Off. How would you describe to people we've never seen this movie the actual plot.
Speaker 4: While try to do it justice. The king of all premises is it's John Travolta. He's an agent. He's the good guy. Nicholas Cage he's a terrorist, he's the bad guy. John Travolta catches him early in the film, puts him in a coma. While he's in a coma, he's still got a bomb somewhere in la that they don't know where it is. So in order to infiltrate his gang and his brother who built the bomb, he's got to wear surgically remove the face of Nick Cage and put it on his own, and then his own face goes in a little jar by his bed.
Speaker 3: It's just like, you know, this, this most dangerous criminal in the world, right there's not anyone guarding him. His Nick John Travolta's face is just in a bowl next next to a cage, right in like a like saaning solution.
Speaker 1: He've actually contact Lene.
Speaker 3: This in cage suddenly wakes up without his face from a coma just.
Speaker 1: Suddenly clays up and then guess what happened?
Speaker 4: It is he he galus John Travolter's. He finds John Travolta's face.
Speaker 1: That looks like what am I doing it?
Speaker 4: It's table He he puts the John Travolta's face on it, and all of a sudden, now our.
Speaker 1: Too face lips or eyes, and he has a cigarette.
Speaker 4: He's having a cigarette watching the He's watching the vision of John Travolta's face get transferred in the original surgery. And then he gets the doctor in the He's game, brings the doctor in to do the same surgery on him. So you've got the ultimate premise. You've got two arch enemies looking each at each other, and they've switched faces, and everybody believes that Nick Cage is John Travolta, And everybody believes John Travolta is Nick Cage in Sue, the best movie ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of the greatest movies of all time. And the thing is John Travolta actually does take on an effect the mannerisms of Nick Cage. Nick Cage doesn't bother clear that he was given or they were scared of him, because when you watch this, it's a very heavily caffeinated performance. Well, I think actually they were just like we done to speak to him? Why is he yelling in every s.
Speaker 4: He's actually mad in this stage? Is actually mad in this?
Speaker 1: What about it?
Speaker 3: When the doctor's explaining what you know? And this isn't set in the future, it's set in the nineties. It's set there right where they're explaining the complex procedure, but suddenly the doctor is so matter of fact about it. It's almost like they're sort of repairing like a hamstring injury or something like that.
Speaker 2: The inside is modeled on your skull, all right, the outside in and out within the day.
Speaker 1: Then we fit his face on top, not a rap but the real thing.
Speaker 2: Then we simply connect the muscle, tear ducts and Nerbut so you want to Cage's face and mind.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 4: Ha And that is crazily not even in my top three of most ridiculous parts of the film.
Speaker 3: All Right, so you've got a top three of craziest parts of Face Off.
Speaker 1: We'll get into them next well. Christian Connell's Show podcast.
Speaker 3: We're into our at s of the nineties this week. We're up to and into the letter f the movie Jack and I watched yesterday one of the greatest movies, not just of the nineties but all times, Face Off Tron Travolter. If you had to pick one movie where Nick Cage achieved ultimate Nick Cage powers, this is it. It's there's no way that he was directed. There are so many bits in it don't make sense. There's this yelling that doesn't fit the scripts or even the scene. It's a crazed, fueled, fueled performance by Nick Cage. And I can't, I can't, I wouldn't. I can't recommend another movie that would give you so much fun watching it. That's fair to say, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Jack?
Speaker 4: I saw The Batman this week, a big blockbuster movie, breaking all kinds of records. I much more enjoyed Face Off than I did The Batman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Looking, Yeah, it's like looking in a mirror, only not.
Speaker 1: So. She got Travolta and Cage.
Speaker 3: Travolta chasing Cage, finally works out away final another way they go, finally have worked out Where you get this guy who's been tracking for you?
Speaker 1: He killed his son? Why do we think of all the time?
Speaker 3: I mean they do all over the world, don't they law enforcement agencies. We'll just take his face off his and put it onto my right there, right there.
Speaker 1: That's simple eye.
Speaker 3: This is going to change law all over the world, now, won't it. And so they have each other's faces, and Travolter does do this amazing job of affecting all the mannerisms, and it doesn't do an impression, but it's almost like an impression of Nick Cage doesn't he The rest of the movie was Cage doesn't He's just Cage.
Speaker 4: Which Voltage, even though it's meant to be John Travolta's character, And also the face which leads to one of my favorite scenes in the film, where Nicholas Cage in handcuffs, ready to infiltrate the prison, is rubbing his face against the wall because his face itches after the surgery, and because he faces in handcuffs, he has to get his buddy at the force to itch his face for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also the doctor said, hey, listen, it's one of the rare movies as well that actually mentions the title in a scene as well, because the doctor goes, they just can't.
Speaker 1: Ever get into a face off and starts shooting each other.
Speaker 3: He goes to Travolta, who's now obviously Nick Cage. You know, whatever you do, you just can't get into a fight. Fast forward to he's in the prison being punched repeatedly like any UFC five ground and bound in the face. And then to escape the prison, he jumps, like I'm not exaggerating, one hundred foot into the sea. And what is it about all those sort of action movies where the helicopter likes shooting into the sea. He's escaped the buddet somehow, right, And is they gave up really quick looking for these evil criminals, didn't they. Once you're in a helicopter, they're going to come up for air. Just stay up there, eddicotchs as gone, they go in the sea. We never ever find them again. All right, Jack, what are your top three craziest moments in a crazy movie?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Here are the top three takeaways from Face Off and Now. Despite being a violent movie with the crazy procedure of swapping faces, the most unsettling part for me was actually the way that John Travolta showed his family affection by slowly stroking an open hand down the faces of his loved ones.
Speaker 1: I forget this to his son and the baddy trying to blow us all up.
Speaker 4: He did it to his daughter, he did it to his wife.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that move from a dad anywhere. And ig you all and Jack goes you that. I mean, I'm a very affectionate dad hunging every day.
Speaker 4: I've never seen I tried to do it to Bianca Is, like, hey, will this feel nice? And she pulled her head away and said, don't do that. Feel it feels offensive for you to run your hand down my face. Take Away number two. So the FBI, when they're meant to be the good guys, right they're catching this terrorist, they go into this baddies lair and the terrorist son is in there, and John Travolta has to honestly save the son from getting shot to pieces by the FBI. Didn't There's no reason for the FBI to be shooting a little five year.
Speaker 3: Old boy not involved in it in any way. He's just an innocent bystander.
Speaker 4: That leads me to my final takeaway. And this is a spoiler, So turn off now if you want to watch Face Off. John Travolta comes home at the end of the movie. He's got the little boy, the son of his arch enemy, and without consulting his wife, essentially.
Speaker 1: Goes brings him adopted.
Speaker 4: We've adopted this movie.
Speaker 3: He comes to the house. Yeah, case, come in and look what I've got. Like he got a puppy from the pound and so I was like showing his room. It's like, uh, what, John, we need to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Who is that? Oh? You know that is that? Yeah? We've him?
Speaker 4: What about Hey.
Speaker 3: He's in surgery having his face put back on right towards in the movie, right for weeks, and they keep making a big deal about the agony, as be the stitches, the sutras and all this. Then suddenly right Travolta backs himself, just makes his own.
Speaker 1: Way home from the hospital.
Speaker 3: Every time I watched this movie, I'm like, she couldn't pick him up. She knows what he's been through, right, he's on his face removed, and he's got reattached. He's almost died. He's saved the world essentially. Well la, and what yes does this get a taxi? Got to make his own way home? It bugs me every time, like she couldn't go and pick him up.
Speaker 4: She looks surprised as well as if he didn't even call him say hey, just so you know, surgery went perfectly and my face is back on.
Speaker 1: He said it Friday. Now Now I've got zimber in an hour.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think there's some leftovers in the wedge rug shot.
Speaker 1: You said I was coming to get you right day? Wait, who's the little kid? That's our sun?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: My favorite?
Speaker 3: One of my favorite lines, And there are two great lines in this towards the end, Sorry I killed you Dad? That the greatest light in the movie ever. How could someone type don't think? Can we actually say this? And put it on Selnoyd forever? The other one is where they are facing off against each other. These two arch rivals wearing each other's faces, and they've got guns pointing at each other, and then other people from their rival crews, their sort of backups, all turn up. So at one point there must be all right, ten people with guns are pointing each other, and then travalter Is Gauge just goes, what a predicament?
Speaker 1: Ten out of ten. This movie is a ten out of ten.
Speaker 3: This is the Christian o'commell Show podcast