Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yor the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money. She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on a Friday. It's our favorite day of the week because we get our team together and we get to celebrate you in our new studios. Still the incredible She's on the Money community. Ms. Just Greech's here and she's sharing our favorite money wins from the Facebook group. Miss becksay Ed is sharing her broke tips and we're going to be helping to answer a money dilemma, which this week is all about getting declined for a credit card. Then you slid into our dams about something whether you should hide your financial glow up from your friends. Spicy. But before we get there, how have your weeks been personally.
Speaker 3: Really really really good, really fun? Just like, don't you have a good week? Come in and been like it's a bad week. Jess comes in and she's like, yep, so.
Speaker 2: The hole in my roof is like floater and like it. No, Beck lives in the world with none. She's like, no, nothing worries me. And then you'll be like, oh, I didn't your housemate mentioned that the front of your house was falling off. It's not a problem. Sunshine.
Speaker 3: We do get a ray of sunshine in the house now, which is great. No, I'm trying to think, like, and this is what I kind of feel bad about it because I'm like, oh, I want to bring something juicy to the table, but so far when I'm getting we have p mess like everything is just like awful.
Speaker 2: But it's not.
Speaker 3: PMS week and so gorgeous week, beautiful, sunny, live, love laugh.
Speaker 2: I like that. I do like that for me. Yeah, it's louty your face, So I would like to eat absolutely everything in my sight and you know when you sometimes just I don't know if other people track their cycles as much as I do. I am do Bluelu, but I completely forgot where I was at. I was like walking around the office and I was like, I'm so hungry. I could literally eat like ten croissants, Like if you put another one in front of me, I would eat it. And one of the people in my office was like, luty your phase and I was like, yep, they're like same, and I was like, oh, you should get started. And then then we went and got croissants started just like I have star Do you have startups? You said the same person. It was Zara. We like two peas in a pod in sync. Now. She told me to get start us. I am obsessed and it's so great. That's a money win.
Speaker 3: So Jess, my partner, and I use it so I can track her cycle, she can track mind and so like if she's in the Holy Teal phase, I'll know to bring snap.
Speaker 2: So just do you send I haven't sent it to anybody else yet, and the people that suggested it or Zara who suggested it works with me, and I don't know if I'll want to cross that boundary. Yet that's so we do hold our phones up to each other and I'm like, look, I'm here, and then I have my aura ring and I track it on that and with natural cycles as well, So like I think I have three apps at the moment, just like tracking my body lead good. I love that for us. Beck Moving on from this though, mister, how's your week being?
Speaker 4: Not to bring the sad girl vibe? I don't want to be the rain cloud, which.
Speaker 2: Is how can it's sad and all emotions are welcome, thank you.
Speaker 4: I feel very safe. Oh you know, it's nothing too bad. I just you, guys know, I like thought that maybe I was gonna buy a house and then it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen for a reason, Jessica.
Speaker 4: It just like it's so disheartening. I feel like cost of living is just ourly. We were talking about Easter last week. It was just like a silly little thing. But like I'm just and I know that everyone else is feeling it too, and so I don't want to be like, oh it's just me that's having such a hard time. But it's just so hard and so expensive to be alive right now. And I just am like did you and your things just feel so insurmountable. It feels like it's just never gonna happen, and I've never gonna be able to a waterhouse and I'm just gonna rend forever and be sad always.
Speaker 2: It's not true, But we also need to contextualize it. Right, So, you grew up and we have shared a lot about your money story and that you know your parents were budget conscious and whatnot, But like we need to remember that in the early nineties or during the nineties when we were born, if our parents earned eighty thousand dollars, for us to achieve the same lifestyle that they had on that eighty thousand dollar income today, we need to earn close to three hundred thousand dollars. And I think that there is this massive disconnect between what lifestyle we have grown up with. We're not saying that we're being entitled, but like you know, Jess, for example, loves Easter. Every Easter has gotten Easter eggs. That is now becoming something that we're like, hold on, does that actually fit in our budget anymore? But it's not something that we've ever questioned needing to fit in our budget before. So it feels not just uncomfortable, but it feels like it's irrational. It feels like, that's crazy. Why couldn't I afford an Easter egg? And like, please, don't get me wrong. We can acknowledge that there are families out there that are doing their best and that's never been an option for them. We're not talking about, you know, oh my god, we can't afford this luxury in life. But more a lot of us are being fronted with the reality that the lifestyle that we lived is actually completely unsustainable now. And it's actually not your fault. It's not due to you can't out budget. The fact that we don't have enough money to live the life we historically had because inflation has taken over how much our income has increased, right, And so we're now in a situation where what we could afford even five, eight, ten years ago is now not what we can afford today. And like that is really real and really disheartening because saving for your first home, Jess can tell you, it's not a one year of savings, is it, Jess, No, And I would.
Speaker 4: Say it is better deposit than a lot of people.
Speaker 2: And a better deposit than when we started talking about this journey three or four years ago, and like, you've been on this beautiful like you came to cheese on the money, you've gotten out of debt, like and now you've saved up your house deposit. But even when you started saving up for your house deposit, that marker in time had such different expectations and you were like, Okay, cool, I'm locked and loaded. I'm going to start saving, And like, why would you revisit the goalposts? If you knew in your head you needed to save forty thousand dollars or eighty thousand dollars for your first home deposit, why would you go back and be like is that still reasonable? Is that still reasonable? Consistently? Now, Jess is in this situation where she's finally like I got the money, I've got the juice, let's go. And then someone's like, oh, did you know that you can't go now? And that's disheartening. That feels like trash. I get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of like you hit a point where you go because I would say like, yeah, I agree, like east eggs are totally right, is a luxury, but it also is kind of giving, like avocado toast right, like, yes, not buying the ten dollar easter egg is not going to make or break a house deposit. And you get to a point where you go, well, how much more can I cut? Because I would say I'm pretty good.
Speaker 2: With she's got the best cash flow system?
Speaker 4: Yeah where I got that from. I would consider myself pretty good, pretty happy to cut things from my budget. I live well below my means. I save over seventy percent of my income. And it's like even doing what feels like all the right things. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who's like that, and you still can't get there. Yeah, I just yeah, it's gotta be my feels at the moment. It's really hard, really Yeah, Anyway, I'm sure there are lots of other people feel the same way. I don't want to be like, oh woe is me, no special snowflake feeling like this, but no.
Speaker 2: And I think it's a good conversation to have because it's going to be relatable. But that doesn't mean we don't understand that other people have it worse. But I think that there is definitely and I'm seeing this a lot on social media where people are sharing their struggles or people are sharing the issues they're having or just the things that are taking them off, and other people jump in immediately and say, yes, but Jessica, other people have it worse. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't experiencing an emotional response to an issue or something that's arisen in your life. And I think we could do amount and be like, yeah, just of course people have it worse, But that doesn't mean that my situation isn't valid. That doesn't mean that my feelings aren't valid, or even that my experiences and my goals aren't valid anymore. And I think that by you know, saying to other people other people have it worse, it just dismisses the fact that you care about your own goals. It dismisses the fact that that's important for you. And I would hate for anyone, regardless of whether their goal is to get into their first home or get out of debt or get their first job, to feel like their issue is being dismissed. But it's not like there could be people in our community who were like, I'm so stressed because my million dollar portfolio is going up and down and that gives me anxiety. But it's also like we would go must be nice, but at the same time that must be causing them genuine stress.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, fully, but also it is genuinely comforting. Not like to say that I'm enjoying this at all, but it's genuinely comforting to know because it hits people at certain times, Like there'll be times where I'll be, you know, buying I'm.
Speaker 2: Not buying coffee anymore, but this is the thing. As we did try the other day and we were like, no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: I'm very grateful for but I'm like, why is it like I'm not that I'm definitely under one hundred k I'm probably like, I don't know, somewhere between fifty and eighty. I can't really calculate it very well for some reason, it's just always been confusing. But I saw I'm by no means like under the poverty line, but I'm also not rich as well. But I'm like, why is that not enough to buy myself a coffee? Like why exactly? Saying like how many more things can we cut out? So it's company to know that this cost of living crisis or whatever we're in right now is actually hitting everyone, and it's not just like the people that have always struggled and feel like they always will struggle, and talking about myself in particular here, but I know there are so many people out there that are going to resonate. It is something companying about knowing. Like I think, if you're in it and you've always been broke and you're like, there's no way anyone who is making a decent living is feelings too. It's like, oh no, okay, we're all in this and it really sucks. And the only thing I want to know, I don't know if we know this yet, but does it ever get better? Or is this just it?
Speaker 2: It feels like getting better. It's it's getting better. And I want to just like reframe this conversation. And we need to remember the tagline of this podcast that is not the tagline. It's like the unofficial when in doubt, zoom out right. We need to look at the bigger picture and what that means. Like excitingly, the cash rate got dropped, and that is so exciting because that is reflective of the fact that the economy is starting to recover and do better, which means that more cash is going to be free to move around the economy. Which is really exciting. Money is going to become cheaper essentially to borrow, and then from money becoming cheaper, people are able to borrow more to purchase houses. So it is going to get easier. There will be more. Yeah, house prices will know rand will stay the same. Everyone, don't worry. It would not get Probably can we go up? No, I just think when in tooub zoom out. But we also need to like sit down and do our budget and do our cash flow so that we can understand our situations. And if you think someone's not being impacted by this, I would say that you're wrong. They probably just don't talk about their financial situation in the way that we do and in the way that I think everyone should, because if you are earning under three hundred thousand dollars, which is a lot of money, you are feeling this because whether it is your mortgage, whether it is your rent, whether it's school fees or even just buying that extra coffee, that is definitely eating into your budget in a way that it never has before. Because like jes we go back to the Easter eggs and we'll loop this, but we go back to the Easter eggs and it's not the easter eggs, it's the straw that broke the camel's back. It's like, you know, over time, we're seeing milk increase, and you know, cheese is ten bucks a bag, and we're laughing at the old ads from was It Coals who did the Curdis Stone ten dollar meals, which I absolutely adored, But now there's all this content online about the ten dollar meals being laughable because a packet of cheese is ten dollars. Yeah, Like, things like that start to increase, and the latest is literally just the chocolates that we thought everyone just like slipped. I don't know, but as I grew up, and even when I was younger, it's that time of year and you know, I don't know, you grab an extra cream egg, get the check out, and like that doesn't impact the budget significantly. But now we're really having to think about these little things that felt like luxuries, but now they're impacting the bigger picture and you're like, well, is that worth it? Yeah? And that's kind of heartbreaking at the same time as being so important to acknowledge, because there are going to be families that are like what do we do, like how do we do this, Like, you know, one kid who wants one egg? Great, what if you have three kids and then that's thirty bucks and that's exactly what you've been spending on, you know, after school activities. And now you've got to decide what does that look like? Because there are families that are cutting at that fine every week. Like, it's not normal at the moment, from what I'm seeing in our community, from what I'm seeing bigger, it's not normal to have significant amounts to save, significant amounts to invest. And maybe we need to think about this is a season of life and maybe come together more as a community to go this is really crap, Jess, But it's not going to be forever. Yeah, So how do we create that light at the end of the tunnel. Is that more content on what the cash rate's going to do and what the economy is going to look like? Is it more content on affordable housing?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that talking more about money makes everything easier, not necessarily financially. But to put your hand up and be like actually me too, Oh yeah, actually that is stressful and like even you sharing that, Jess, Beck was immediately like, Oh, I'm glad it's not just me who's struggling, even though it's a different situation. Yeah, so many of our listeners are going to go me too. I thought it was just me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel your.
Speaker 2: Pang, guys, one out of ten. Let's change the mood up a little bit before we get into our broke tips and our money winds and confessions. Would you, guys, I don't know if you're interested in a five star really it absolutely need it. This is from Angel and she says I'm in lovely She's on the money. Hey, gorgeous girls, just wanted to let you know that I've been absolutely loving your episodes. The mix of chit chat, insights from money diaries, and more specific education epps are perfect. I've literally built my own emergency fund, started investing and saving because of you girls.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: Pes very thankful for Beck and her asking VD the questions that I'm always thinking. It's like when you're in school and no one wants to ask the teacher to re clarify something. Well, I'm very thankful to have Beck to do that for me. Plus, she's really funny and I feel like she always gets mean yes, so nice. Yes, you are a little ray of sunshine. The bands between you make me feel like I'm listening to my girlfriends have a chat. Love you girls. That is so nicely sweet. Yes, thank you Angel. I love that literally, thank you Angel. So sweet. All right, now let's get into it, Jess. What's been happening in our community this week?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Well, firstly, very on theme, I've got a money win from Rachelle who said, looking at the price for Easter chocolate this year, I was astounded by the increase. I decided to get on the front foot and ask my family if they would be interested in donating a small amount of money around five or ten dollars each instead of buying chocolate for each other this year. Everyone was a big fan of the plans. We pulled together eighty dollars between the eight of us and donated it to the friend Hollows Founday.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that's such a sweet idea.
Speaker 4: We saved money as we would have spent much more on chocolate. It's better for our health and it felt really nice to be able to contribute to charity instead.
Speaker 2: I do it. That's such a good idea. Yeah, great, that's lovely.
Speaker 4: Next, I've actually got money lost from faith, but she said it was a valuable life lesson. The car wouldn't start due to a dead battery right before school drop off with peak hour traffic, and she had to call a taxi, which was forty five dollars to get Oh. Apparently, her little one said are you upset, mummy, and she smiled and said nope, this will be a fun adventure. You can tell your friends at school. She assured them that they take another taxi home and sort out the battery replacement later that day. The eight year old then asked, is it going to be too much money, and she confidently replied saying not really. I'll be using my emergency fund. The eight year old then turned to her brother and said, that's like the money in your red piggy bank that you can use if something you like so much costs more than what you've saved.
Speaker 2: So goodness, how the girls that get it get it.
Speaker 4: She's down four hundred and seven dollars, including a twenty two dollars reward ice cream after school, but her confidence in building financial habits for the kids is skyrocket.
Speaker 2: A nice your babies get it too. I love the red Bank visual.
Speaker 4: That's so wholesome.
Speaker 2: Oh it's like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's easy, exactly like that, like a little moment. Next, I've got a money win from Christie, who said money win. I was a model for a massage college and Baudy Academy. So I got a free one hour remedial massage, a free full skin consult and my deermer planing done.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, delicious, I know, all for free.
Speaker 4: That's a huge money win. Next, I've got two Bunnings themed I grouped them together, so one funny I really do, don't we One from Kayler, who said money When she returned leftover items they'd purchased for their renos back to Bunnings. They got a refund for four hundred and ninety seven dollars great, which was a win because they'd just been sitting in the shed. Good one for anyone who does undertake renovations. You can return things to Bunnings. True, tue, I think is fantastic because people tend to overbuy, not use at all.
Speaker 2: Take it back.
Speaker 4: And then Rhianna said money win free kids activities at Bunnings. This week it was making a mini garden.
Speaker 2: And gosh, I saw that, and I thought it was so sweet. And when I saw that, I then went to Bunnings because you guys know that I had been working on Harvey's like little golf cart thing that I've been building, and I saw them doing that at a different It was clearly different Bunnies, but I was like, Oh my gosh, that must be the free kids' activities. And then I resolved in my head that when Pavey's old enough, he can go to those things because it looked so wholesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they do them every week or every month, I'm not sure, but they run like on their website, Yeah, it'll be on their website. They run a different activity which is just really cute and a great free activity if.
Speaker 2: You look a weekend. And also, to add to that sorry side note, lots of council websites have a section of like free kids activities or things going on at the library or in the local community, and that is a great way to engage your kids for literally zero dollars one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And then lastly, this week, I've got a money in from Ruth who said, if you're planning on getting takeaway for dinner, order it at lunchtime instead, so you can take advantage of the lunch deals that places off and.
Speaker 2: Run dinner time.
Speaker 4: Yes, great idea, she said. He hubby gave her the idea, So shout out to Ruth Hubby. I think that's genius.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love that I actually reviewed our budget. It had been a while. I reviewed our budget recently and realized just how many times. And I disclaimer, I don't regret it because I had a baby and I was reaching for the Uber Eats a little bit more than I regularly would. But I realized that Steve and I were ordering way too much Uber Eats, and I've bought a few meals to keep in the pantry slash freezer, so like real quick ones. We're not talking about like, you know, fancy meals which we're planning, but like some frozen beg a sturfry kit and some noodles. Because I realized the amount of times I order sturfry and like noodles and like rice based dishes. I'm like, Victoria, divine rice is so easy to cook. So I've got those in the freezer and I thought, yeah, this maybe adhd short lived, wasn't the other day, I went, I can't be bothered Steve, and he said, don't we have that surfry mix? And I was like, we do, And then I made sturfry in like fifteen minutes and I was like, I'm basically a budgeting coin. Well done.
Speaker 4: I love a frozen dumpling for that reason. Oh yeah, like just a big bag that costs you like ten dollars.
Speaker 2: Get them when they're in sale as well. Wait till the frozen dumbling's gone. Sal that some like frozen at a marmaie some rice. You've got a perfect me. Oh my god, that sounds so good. I love it. Miss Beck's I ed, what do you bring into the table when it comes to broke tips this week? So this first one comes from Rose, who was actually a money diarist. Oh we love.
Speaker 3: This is comedy related ahead of the Comedy Festival. So there's a website you can go to if you're wanting to see shows basically free. You can sign up for a free membership at promo tics and basically you paid two dollars ninety five per transaction to book tickets on the show. Say, you can book multiple tickets at once if you're going to the show as a couple or as a group. Often a show will only put a few tickets up, so it's first in best dressed. But you'd be surprised how fancy the shows are on there sometimes if you keep an eye out. So promo tics dot com doctor you was the website, so sign up and I feel like this is great to know because I did not know this existed, and so every single year.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, I can't afford anything, so I am very happy that this exist.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: The other tip I would say to add to that is follow comedians on social media because even though the comedy festival is coming up, it is usually a little bit more expensive. Because we spoke to a comedian on Money Diaries and she was talking about how you know, to put on a show, it costs X and you have to sell tickets for a minimum of WY. During the comedy festival there's limited venues and whatnot, but there are shows going on year round, and if you follow them on social media, comedians are going to post, oh I'm at this pub or I'm at this place, and the tickets are usually way cheaper, so you can see your favorite comedians year round, and I promise you they're going to really appreciate the support that they're getting out side of just the most popular week of the year.
Speaker 3: That is so true, actually, and that's something I do want to mention. I don't want to say that the tickets are not worth it, because so much work goes into this. I have a comedian friend who says that it's not just like leading up to the show you kind of prepare, It's like all year round, all you're doing constantly is preparing for the show, looking for content, thinking of content. I'm like, God, that would be so exhausting.
Speaker 2: So imagine having to think of content every week. What else if you don't do that.
Speaker 3: Right, I would never This next one comes from actually a friend who invited me and my partner Jests to Geelong on the weekend and she took us to this place called feed Me and there's I think there's two of these places in Geelong or like in that area. And basically, have you guys heard of the lentils as anything? Yes, So I don't think we have that anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think we do.
Speaker 3: But content sad, It is really sad for context for anyone who's because I didn't about until I moved to Melbourne. But it's you kind of like pay what you feel the workers of volunteers and things like that, so they can pay you can afford. And so we went to this place called feed Me and they only open once a week I believe, on a Friday, and they have all their food donated and you can go in I believe on weekends is open but only like the market. So the mar it is like fruit and vegetables. You can go in literally fill a bag, you can walk out, and if you can't afford it, you don't have to pay. If you can afford, you just pay what you feel or what you've taken whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like.
Speaker 3: It's very you know for people who are just like struggling, and it's really can you imagine how kind I don't know the people that run that, but can you just imagine how kind those people are? I know, Bisness and so on Fridays when they open for dinner, that is also a pay as you feel, or pay what you can afford the situation, which is just so so cool, and they have like a menu. The food's really good. There are volunteers at work there. The food's donated. I think they pay the chef so that you know, the food quality is good.
Speaker 2: That's a good idea. And there's an investment absolutely like volunteer chef, where do you get his experience? And then they go, oh, she she just came in. She just said she was a chef, and we believed her.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, I think that's that's really great if you're like in that area anyway, and you are just struggling for you know, buy to buy, for instance, fruit and vegetables can be so expensive. Yeah, So I love that one. And then the next one is obviously from myself. And I know I mentioned this place a couple of weeks ago, but and this is not like by no means I have no affiliation, but in.
Speaker 2: Fact they want to sponsor you. They can give you what you're doing it for free exactly.
Speaker 3: But so the I mentioned a gym called Base Attack a few weeks ago, I maybe it was a couple of weeks ago, And I just learned that they also have a similar system for people who can't actually afford to train, like.
Speaker 2: Some of you can't member.
Speaker 3: So cool.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of that, I know, Well, it's I should mention this.
Speaker 3: It's not like all week round, but on Fridays at five pm their class is a pay as you feel or pay where you can afford, which is incredible because I feel like a lot of these gym classes are like thirty five dollars for one session or like seven thousand dollars per week. So if you can't afford it, you can't. You know, you just want to get your your session in Friday five pm. I'm not sure if they've started yet, but that's the plan moving forward. How cool which I thought was just so gorgeous, so basicak in Brunswick.
Speaker 2: If you live around there, there might be other ones around that are similar or hopefully other gyms are inspired by that, sh you would hope. So because we need it, I love that. All right, Well with that, let's go to a really short break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about getting declined when you're applying for a credit card, and we're also going to be chatting whether you should hide your financial glow up from your friends, so guys don't go anywhere. Welcome back, everybody.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Here she Is on the Money. I absolutely love the podcast and thanks to you. I started investing in twenty twenty one. I'm in my third year of my PhD now, and I want to know your opinion or any specific tips you might have in regards to getting a loan or a line of credit, when receiving a stipend or what counts as a tax free income which doesn't actually count towards borrowing in the eyes of the bank. I'm very responsible money, partly due to the education I oversee from this podcast, and so I want a point tack. I have applied for a credit card with one of the main banks with only one thousand dollars borrowing limit, and I also have around eighty thousand dollars across my savings in share portfolio. Yet I've been declined twice and I'm very reluctant to apply again because I don't want to damage my credit score. Do you know any banks that would allow someone to get a points owning credit card making around seventy k per annum on a PhD with twenty thousand of that probably being taxable income.
Speaker 3: While this person sounds like operating at a higher frequency, that is just like would be human like so intelligent PhD. Anyone that mentions those letters even in a sentence and not even together. I'm like you, I go to check out of this because you are so smart anyway, good for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna say I got nothing to contribute. Call that one right to vd ah.
Speaker 2: My goodness. So this is an interesting conversation. There are banks that are not going to recognize scholarship income, PhD income or tax free income because it is one of their risk management plans, like they just have decided to blanket do that. You will find that more often than not, it's the bigger banks that make those decisions, because I would say the bigger the bank, the more vanilla like big banks they have the reputation so they can go okay, cool. We would like to take the cream of the crop, the easy clients, the ones that are the least amount of risk, because obviously the lesser amount of risk that they're taking on, the more attractive they are to shareholders. Backtrack, if I'm going to go buy shares I want to buy, I don't know. Most people buy one of the big four banks. You're all holding them. If you own an ETF, you're all holding them. If you are invested in stobranuation. And that's fine. But one of the reasons why they are so tried, true and tested is because of how vanilla they are, because the mortgages and the loans that they issue are coming back. They're not, you know, taking more risk. Obviously, the further out you get, when you like go to like you know, tier two lenders and to tier two credit unions, you are they're taking more of a risk. And that's probably where I would start looking. So I wouldn't ever submit an application if you're in this situation without picking up the phone and having a chat. So I would call them and say, how do you treat this? Some of them might have declined it because you didn't give enough information on your initial application. It is relatively uncommon if you have a clean credit history for you to have a thousand a credit card rejected because you clearly have a income coming in. So I would actually pick up the phone and ask for some feedback on the first rejected ones, like why it might be as simple as we don't accept PhD income as a reliable source of income and that really sucks, I get it. The second thing you could do is chat to a mortgage broker or somebody who broke hiss loans and go, well, what does this look like and doing some research online. So I did a quick google just before and there were a number of different institutions and banks talking about how they review income because it is actually going to depend on how long your PhD often is for as well, because some people will get a PhD and at the end of this years they will be told it will be reviewed, and other people are given a contract for five years and so might be seen as more stable. Exactly. So banks wants stability, how do we prove that to them? And what does that potentially look like? But honestly, the most thing I do is pick up the phone you are correct, I wouldn't just keep submitting applications and hoping. In fact, before even submitting an application, I'd pick up the phone to the new lending place and say, hey, what do I need to do? How's this going to work? And then the other thing I would do is make sure that I am checking my own credit history. Are you sure that the reason you haven't been rejected is because you had bad credit? And I'm not saying that you did this yourself. There could be something dodgy on there. Go to You know, lots of people in our community use Equifax. It's free, download your credit report, have a look at it, check out what's on there, see why it might have been rejected because it might not actually have anything to do with your income and everything to do with the fact that there's like four default loans that some scammer has put on there. And I don't want to scare you, but like, let's start all our eyes and cross all our t's and check that. Then make a few calls and have a chat, and then if you can't get it across the line, talk to a mortgage broker about what they know about potentially getting loans. But I can confidently say that through my business is all the money we have gotten mortgages for people who are receiving PhD income as their sole income. And obviously it requires a little bit of negotiation, handing over some contracts and working out what's going on. It's not like super vanilla to do, but like it is possible. But that doesn't mean that it's going to work for absolutely everyone, because everyone's situation is personal.
Speaker 4: Do you have to research people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, I couldn't be Yoh, oh my god. That reminds me of that TikTok video about the corn.
Speaker 5: It's God the deuce, It's God the juice.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard that years. Oh my gosh. I did one about Lucy when she was younger, but it was Yeah, I'm very posted because it's just funny. It was like it made sense because juice loose, like it makes sense. It was about how much she loved her dad. Really, would you like to hear the DM of the week? Yes, all right, Hi, she's on the money. I have a money dilemma for you. My husband and I own our own business and thanks to a lot of blood, sweat and tears in the past twelve months, we are now making some serious money, so much so we have nearly paid off our one million dollar mortgage. What I'm struggling with is how this is impacting my friendships. I have always been super transparent about money with my friends. We've shared salaries, mortgage amounts, interest rates, etc. However, now I'm feeling super awkward about it, like I'm rubbing our financial wins in their faces while they are still working towards independence. The way we were two years ago, I now feel awkward about sharing the way I used to, and almost like I'm being evasive as I don't want to rub it in anymore. How do you handle financial transparency with friends when one of you is significantly better off? Help? I really don't want to lose my friends.
Speaker 3: Oh, first of all, well done, that's.
Speaker 2: So cool, congratulations, that's huge. But I think the thing is, and this is like I've been this person before and where you've been like super rich, and you just how to deal with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to tell people sometimes I've been the friend and maybe perpetually will be the friend that's like, no, you're not, because that's true. If anything, yes, bullying yes to invest exactly it's not even bullying yet.
Speaker 2: Watch out true.
Speaker 3: I think bullying is the only thing that's going to take for me to change my way. If you could, that would be lovely. But no, I think the thing is and this is not like a blanket thing. This is just I'm literally talking about myself, and so I can only assume that maybe your friends kind of might feel similar. When there is a friend or something that you're close to, you can see they're doing really well, and you feel a little bit like you feel a pang in your belly, or like you feel a little bit anger or jealousy or something, and you don't really even know where it's coming from. You know, it's irrational, that feeling. It's just just so it happens that you're there and you're talking about your situation and the person who is struggling it feels like every day, maybe every second of every day, maybe it feels like you're perpetually drowning and you don't know how to get out, and it's like, you know, you just need some help somewhere, but you and you can't say this to your friends, I suppose because you're I guess you'd just be assuming this. But I guess when it comes to myself or if your friends listening to this, your anger is being put in the wrong places, and it's probably should be directed toward maybe your boss who isn't giving you a pay rise, or maybe your maybe the government, or maybe the inflation, or maybe the cost of living. It's all these different things. Maybe it's how you were raised, Maybe it's your parents for not teaching you financial literacy. Maybe it's all of these things, and maybe that's a better place to put that. Not that anger is a helpful thing to feel, but it is completely valid. But I would say in this situation, I guess the only thing you can do if it comes up, if it's quite obvious, if there is room or space to talk about it, just acknowledging that everyone's on a different journey and financial struggles are all consuming and visceral and genuinely could be the reason why someone just wants to give up and whatever that looks like. I think, just validating where they're at and letting them know that this is not their fault. And I guess, yeah, just just making people feel seen and acknowledged because your situation, I mean, as you say, blood sweat and tears, baby, that's like very impressive, that should be.
Speaker 2: Should be celebrated, should be celebrated.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I would just say acknowledging their struggles if they're I'm just assuming their struggles. And then you know, talking about you're allowed to celebrate it yourself is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. I feel like this is a them problem more than a friend's problem. Like good friends are going to be so proud of you. Good friends are going to, you know, be like, oh my god, you work so hard for this, Jess, you did this, Like I'm so proud of you. And even though you have more money, that doesn't mean that interest rates aren't still interesting, mortgage rates aren't still interesting talking about salary with your friends. I feel like if you start to pull back, they might start to feel that and sometimes that can be misappropriated as you thinking that you are now better than them and don't need to have these conversations, or that you know you're too sorry I can't relate anymore. Like I think it's it's a dynamic that you know, I've historically struggled with a little bit because I know that I have a higher income than a lot of you know, even just people in my team like and that has made me feel uncomfortable. But at the end of the day, arising tide, lifts of ships and like, I will give you every tip, every trick. I will show you what I've done in my business if you want to do a business too, like I'll be the first to put my hand up and be like, okay, cool. So Jess, you're starting, what's this look like? How does this work?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Jess has a side hustle, And I'm like, oh, can you fix this on your invoicing because it will work better? And you know this will help you do this. And you know, if we're talking about negotiating with clients or whatever, the reality is it doesn't matter how much we're bringing in, whether I'm earning a dollar or ten thousand dollars, like, negotiating with the client's universal experience for business owners. And I know that there will be a disconnect between people who run a business and people who are payg employees. And I'm not saying that that doesn't mean that you won't get along, but you will find that as time goes on, there are things that your friends aren't going to relate to, but you can still have those day to day conversations about money, and if they're uncomfortable with it, you can address it then. But I think that perhaps there's a lot of assumption going on around you going I think it'll make them uncomfortable. I think people won't want to know. I think that, you know, because we've nearly paid off our mortgage, it's going to make my friends uncomfortable. I should stop being transparent. Can you imagine if I stopped being transparent about something, you'd be like, what's up with her?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: Is she all right? Like business has changed her, money has changed her? Like I don't want to be that person. Yeah, I still want to talk about the cost of Easter eggs? Can I afford an Easter egg? Let's be honest, Yes, But it doesn't mean that it's not ridiculous, like, and I think that that is a universal experience and money needs to be talked about, the good, the bad, the ugly, the positive, the negative. Like and I think that it's an inspirational story if you've gone from you know, struggling with your friends to being like, oh my god, I'm not doing that anymore. Like, but let's not forget our roots. Let's not forget where we came from, because like that's important too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that you're totally right your friends, especially if they've seen you from start to end. In theory, you want the best for them. But I think to the point that you made back, it's not always as simple as going, oh, I'm so proud of my friends. Like, I think that jealousy, I think the resentment. I think even just like a wishfulness, like looking at someone who's done well, is a natural human emotion, and I do think it's like a really great thing that you're being considerate of their feelings because I think, particularly like if your friend was going, oh my god, like, I don't know how I'm going to pay rent this month. I can't put groceries on my table this month, and then you say, oh my god, we're going to upgrade to our you know, our one million dollar home. We're going to get a two million dollar home.
Speaker 2: Read the room, you know imagine. I think, well, that's exactly what I mean.
Speaker 4: Though, I think that having a bit of conscientiousness for where they're at is a really good thing. I think it's positive that you're feeling that way and being aware of it. But exactly as VD said, I think that pulling away or shutting off those conversations completely is probably going to make them feel more isolated, more segregated from you. So I think still having the conversations, but approaching them with consideration, with mindfulness, with empathy for whatever they're experiencing. Exactly you said temperature checking the room like being aware of what we're saying, making sure that we're not putting our foot in our mouth or inadvertently making someone feel bad about their situation. Because you've worked really hard and you've achieved a lot, and that deserves to be celebrated. But at the same time, if people are really struggling, it can be hard for them to appreciate it to the fullest extents. I think a bit of a balancing act on both sides. But if you and your friends are all open and honest with each other, I think that that will have the best impact. Could it be communication is key?
Speaker 2: Really? I also think it's a lot about Yeah, back to what you were saying, Jess, read the room. Make sure that you are considering their thoughts and feelings, and even though you're super proud of what you're doing, I know that it's new and it's fresh. You don't need to talk about it all the time, like what did you used to talk about? Let's, you know, check ourselves a little bit. Are we turning up to brunch and being like, oh my god, I can't believe what we did this week? It's always about you. But then again, that's just effective communication in itself. We asked the community. We said, if your friends suddenly became rich, would it change your relationship? Five percent said yep, it'd feel weird, forty percent said maybe, depends on them and how they deal with it. Fifty five percent said not with real friends.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: We asked should financial success be celebrated in friendships like every other achievement. Seventy percent said yep, share the success, twenty eight percent said only if done humbly, and two percent said no, I feel like it's bragging. So I feel like that again can be taken with a grain of salt, but good. I mean, most people don't feel like it's bragging. Most people want to celebrate your success, but there is always going to be someone who sees it differently, and that is so fine. We then went to the community and said, baby, what is your two cents? One person said, if you can only share and bond during hardship, are they really two friends? Another person said, don't share your private financials with anyone, people are jealous. I disagree with that. I think it's a whole podcast is about sharing your financial Yeah, I think it's a really positive thing. I think it is a positive thing. And if you're feeling uncomfortable about that, I think it's a beautiful point in time to be able to reflect about why you feel uncomfortable about that. Because at the end of the day, as much as I care so much about my community, and I'll give you every single tool and resource under the sun, and if I don't have it and you need it, I will try and build it like I will give you everything, But I am not responsible for your emotions. Like at the end of the day, I am not the one that is responsible for that. You actually need to take responsibility for that. And if you can identify I feel envious, or I feel less than or I feel this, or even I feel excited, that needs to be communicated because there's going to be a tool for that to help you through that. If it's something you're struggling with and I think there's nothing more liberating than being like, oh, and I've done this before, Jess know this. I feel like just I think I'm jealous of her, like I'm a little envy. Jess goes, I see that. Let's talk it through. Why what is she achieving? How is she doing it? Like? What could you do? And I go, Actually, this has been a really empowering conversation. I just I wish I was more like that, Like I wish I had her motivation or a dedication or whatever it is. And I think it's just it's so nice to speak about those things in a trusted position and like in a trusted friendship that I can go Jess, I'm a little bit Why am I jealous about this? And she goes, oh my gosh, I know. And then you go, oh, I don't feel this is so bad about that? Like that's better. Someone else said this happened to me to poppy syndrome is real even when they are humble about it. Another person said, if you're uncomfortable, let them ask questions rather than you offering info that they didn't ask for. Its great take, And last one said I get where she's coming from, but as V does share with humility and acknowledge that hard work takes hard work. So I'll leave it there because we are running out of time today. Guys, we've had a good yap. I have adored this. But with that, my friends, I hope you have a really good weekend and we'll see you right early on Monday for a money diary. Bye, guys. By The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money. Sheirper pty LTD ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine