Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the sitdown. I'm Viv Christie, managing editor for Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Metrolope, a writer and editor for ozopen dot com. And Viv, why are we sitting down this week with Zach Heinzelin.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, Zach is the manner of the hour really in the documentary space. He is the director of Raffa, the documentary that was released on Netflix during Roland Garros. And in this fascinating documentary, he takes us really behind the scenes, showing us Raffa the person as well as Raffa the player, which he talks to a lot of people that we've never heard from before in Rafa's life, his family, his team members, he's inner circle really and yeah, it gives you a perspective that you probably have never really appreciated on Raffa's career before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's including us. I mean we watched this obviously, and we've both worked in the tennis space for a long time, covered the majority of Raffa's career and I think, yeah, that was something that struck us about this documentary about how much we didn't know it was going on behind the scenes, and we knew of the challenges, but we didn't maybe know the extent of what they were. And yeah, the various hurdles he had to overcome and what he was playing through in a twenty plus year career. So it was really fascinating to dig into that with Zach and find out what made the cut and what was left out in this incredible dot Ok. Zach Heinzelin, thank you very much for joining us today on the sit Down Podcasts. Great to have you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Where in the world do we find you now? We were talking off camera, but for our viewers some context is always good. Where are we at the moment?
Speaker 3: Right now, I'm in Martha's Vineyard where I'm here for a few weeks with my family on the holiday.
Speaker 2: Very fantastic. That's a lovely part of the world from what we hear. And the reason you're joining us today is because you are the director of The Raffa Dooco, which came out on Netflix just under six weeks ago. I think now we've both watched it, but we really wanted to pick your brain about that, and first of all, we wondered, like, what's the reception being or the feedback being for you. Since it's been out in the world.
Speaker 3: It's been good. I think, you know, it's hard to know exactly, you know, Netflix doesn't share you know, a lot of the numbers, but in general, they seem very happy. I'm super proud of it. The response from you know, the documentary community and peers has been very positive, and critics, you know, seem to highlight the things that I was you know, most focused on and proudest of. So those are all, yeah, positive indicators. So yeah, I think everyone feels really good about it.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic that. I'm sure that must be a bit of a nerve wracking experience, but it sounds like it's been mostly positive in that in the weeks since it's been on Netflix. We would love to know how the documentary was seed like who approached to who had the idea for it, how did it all kind of come together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So David Ellison, who runs sky Dance, he and his dad owned the Indian Wells Tournament and Rafa would go there every year and there became friendly and I know David had asked Rafa many times in the past and Raffa had always said no, you know, he's a very private person. You know, he's never done a documentary, his family's never been on camera. He's not really interested in that you know kind of presentation of his life and and sort of media spectacle that it entails. But since it was his last it was going to be probably his last season and David, he started trusted his team and David in uh, deciding that it was going to be you know, now or never, and kind of went into it, you know, knowing that it probably would be uncomfortable for him, seeing as he is quite private and uncomfortable for you know, his close ones. But went into it knowing, you know, knowing that and and really you know, opened up in a way that that was pretty surprising.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Yeah, Zach, congratulations, It's it's just such a fabulous watch. I honestly couldn't stop watching pot me up late at night. But the narrative, you know, obviously focused on his last year on tour, but I guess also what it takes to become such a great of the tennis world. Was that the angle that you had in mind when you set.
Speaker 3: Out, We have an angle in mind. You know, I didn't know that much about Rafa. You know, I I think like a lot of American even tennis fans, you know, he's always been sort of an enigma. You know, he has not been this sort of household name. You know, he doesn't you know, speak English that well. He's never really been someone who's wanted to be a global celebrity. So I think as a result, and in the US, you know, tennis is you know, it's a it's a big sport, but you know, it's not among you know, it's not like football or basketball, baseball. So I think his popularity in the United States was you know, not as big as you might think. And for me, you know, I didn't really know much about him. I didn't know you know, everyone says though he's you know, he gives one hundred percent, he goes after every ball. You've heard about the sort of warrior mentality, and his uncle Tony and this kind of you know, disciplinarian, very intense. He's always just seems very intense and serious about everything and and guarded. So there wasn't necessilly an angle in mind. I think my my first thought was, you know, well, what what is there? What more is there? And I quickly found that you get a lot more from watching Rafa in his day to day and with his family and team than you would in any interview. You know that he might give because he shows you know himself through his actions, I think, and his actions are usually louder than words. It's it's sort of how you know, how he respects the game, how he plays, how he treats others. You know, his it's kind of way of being I think is very unique for a celebrity athlete of his caliber. And I sort of knew that if I could, you know, be around him in moments of you know, an intense emotional turmoil, which would be inevitable because of this being his last season and him having to decide when to retire, you know that that could be a way, in a way inside, a way to see you know, a deeper, truer version of himself. So as far as the story, we really didn't know. You know, we thought it would be his last season. We were expecting it to be some you know, or we hoped it would be some heroic you know, walk off home run. Well, I guess that's not a good analogy in Australia, you know, that sort of heroic where he you know wins ex Tournament wins is fifteenth Rolngeros and and retires. But soon after we started shooting, he was injured in Australia and dropped out of the Australian Open. And from there we really didn't know what the story was going to be or if, you know, if he was going to continue with the documentary or with the season. There were a lot of unknowns at that point. But then you know, things shifted and the story actually became much more about why can't he stop playing? Not so much when is he going to play intel or when will he you know, decide, But he kept, you know, continuing on and soldiering on, even though it seemed like even amongst his team there was a lot of doubts whether his body, you know, could sustain another season. And that became the question why what is it about him that makes him incapable of stopping at the end of a career, because that is actually all of the same, you know, reasons why you know, he was the great player that he was. So that became the way that we sort of blended the present and the past through that question up, well, what makes him keep going? You know, why can't he stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was so compelling. That's kind of that that narrative of why didn't he stop?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I found Yeah, and also that I think you also said about going back into his past. We was. I think one of the big takeaways from this documentary is how much file footage you had access to and vision of him of when he was a little kidd with his family. Did you guys know in the team that you would have access to this incredible archive or did that kind of go oh, we do have this, So that actually gives us another storytelling in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I credit the archival producer Knnie Honeycut. It's you know, really diving into the Spanish television broadcast archive. Rafa himself didn't really have any archive, you know, his family there there were a few home videos that we found, but they were not meticulous about, you know, documenting his career by any means. I think the fact that he was gifted at a young age and played in tournaments you know, and was in the sort of the Spanish Championships, et cetera. You know, from age eight on, there was more footage of him young than you know other players. Rafa you know, is kind of known for how quickly he became, you know how he was on the tour at age sixteen and playing guys much much older. So a lot of footage existed, but you know, it's it takes a lot of time to go throw that footage and sort of find the moments that feel you know, one of the moments I love most from the archive is he's asked at I think he's like eight years old, he's just won this championship, and he's asked, you know, how do you feel you've just won, you know, this championship and a young Raphis says, well, you know, just because you won this championship doesn't mean you're going to be good. You still have to you know, keep training, and and for an eight year old to say that, you know, you knew that there was something in his mind that was saying the voice of his uncle, which we sort of later discovered. But but something about that response, you know, almost felt like premeditated or or you know, that it was coming from somewhere else, and that kind of mentality, you know, he had to sort of never you know, sort of you know, revel in your accomplishments and but always be looking for what's next, how do I how do I get better? You know, never being overconfident, you know, really is part and partial with with his style of play and and and you know his spirit. His career of course.
Speaker 1: You know, it spanned over twenty years, more records than we can probably even count or remember. How how did you decide what to leave out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question there. It's funny because Rapa wanted a fifth episode after seeing the four episodes. He was like, well, you know, there are all these other matches that you know are important to my career. And you know, yeah, he played over twenty years. There's there's countless great matches, you know. I My feeling was that there almost was too much tennis in the in the project, you know, and we really wanted this to be a global audience and and not necessarily only tennis fans, you know, so it became much more about the person. And you know, there are the iconic matches, you know, his first, his first Grand Slam, the Wimbledon's against Roger feder the Australian Open against Djokovic, but then later in his career there are certain you know, like the twenty twenty two Australian Open match was you know, one of the greatest comebacks of his career and a hugely important match to sort of understand at age, you know, I think he was maybe thirty five, thirty six, you know that he still had at playing against Medevedev, who was much younger, when the question of his longevity had always been top of mind. With Rafa, you know, I think with Novak we maybe expected his career to be a bit longer. I think everyone, Rafa included, thought that his career would end, you know, much earlier, as is true of most you know, tennis players you know, usually retire in their early thirties. Anyway, there were matches that, you know, for whatever reason, mostly because of the structure that we chose, of the episodes you know, just didn't didn't make the cut. But you know, for me, I prefer living in fewer matches longer and understanding what's at stake, what's really going on in this match, How do we use the match to analyze the you know, the sort of mental strategy of what's the difference between Novak, who's super confident in Rafa who almost uses this this kind of humility or lack of confidence as a motivation, you know, and then with better or how do we see his game on grass and see how we can analyze Rafa's differences and gain a better understanding of him more so that you know, when you won twenty two Grand Slams, there's gonna be a lot of you know, trophy raises. But it's just I'm less interested, you know, I think another filmmaker probably would have made something different. You know, I read it's funny when you talked about how it's kind of nerve nerve or I'm not sure how you used it, but when you release it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll ye. How you respond to the reception.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. And I tend to sort of focus on any negative reaction more than a positive one. And the positive ones are nice. But then I like to see what people are saying, maybe maybe criticisms. And I found if there was one, it was that, you know, that there was so much about his struggles with his body, you know, and at times was hard to watch because of it, and for someone who did win so much, you know, expecting more of a sort of celebratory feel, and you know, I think again, you know, I think it's just my interests were more in that struggle, more in the messiness, more in what makes you know this guy human? You know, I think you know, we all know he was a great tennis player. We all you know, we could endlessly talk about probably like or breakdown matches more strategically and show highlights. But for me, the idea that at such a young age he had this foot disease was sort of the key you know, reveal of information for the whole series and for me, as someone who didn't really know that that existed, that the fact that he played on you know, a malformed, deteriorating left foot for his entire career was the thing for me that was most revelatory and sort of set the course of his career as this one that could end at any moment. And that's a mentality I think that you know, he played with in every match, and so you can't separate you know, sort of Rafa's body from Rafa's tennis. Yeah, and that's sort of a long, a long answer to your question about matches, but it's more the answer is more what I'm interested in, you know, as a filmmaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely showed that more human side, you know, Yeah, had watched Raffa for so many years and didn't even know that. I guess the seriousness of that, that injury.
Speaker 2: And I was the same.
Speaker 1: You were alongside Raffa in some of his most difficult moments, as you mentioned earlier, the injury in Melbourne when he learned that he couldn't fly the a historian open what.
Speaker 2: What was that like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that injury specifically. I mean it happened in Brisbane, but then he sort of went to Melbourne and went to the doctor there and the doctor delivered the news that it was a tear, and a severe enough tear, you know where he wasn't going to be able to play. And you know, that was like six or seven days into shooting. So at this point, you know, I had not developed much of a relationship. Of course, you know, we knew each other, but he he was from day one. He was in practice mode. You know, he was very much you know, this was his comeback in the season, and I was there and following him. So in that moment in the car, I was, I was filming. I was, you know, because I do some of the filming myself. When it you know, when the space is small and requires kind of a small footprint, and you know, I just remember feeling, you know, in those moments you form a connection, you know, because you witness someone going through something, and when that person sort of understands that you witness that you and you've seen another layer of them, there's kind of you know, a bond that's formed, you know, not necessarily because of anything that you did, other than you know sort of of you know, be there and capture it in in a in a way that is as inobtrusive and as you know, sort of sensitive as you can be. You know, I always felt like I never wanted to ask anything of Rafa, and so we we didn't do interviews while he you know, was during the season. We waited until after the season. During the season we were merely there to sort of shadow him and watch, you know. We we didn't want to stop his routine. We didn't want to interrupt in any way, which was difficult because if you missed something, you know, there was no like redo, there there was no like let's get that from another, you know. It was it was like on the fly, you know, go go, go go, And you know, Rafa I think understood that if you know, if this was going to be a real version of him that those moments, you know, needed to be seen and you needed to understand what it is like to get that news and uh, you know understand kind of the heartbreak and the sacrifice because it it makes the you know, the winds that much more impressive. It makes the and it helps you understand. Yeah, like you know, what does it take and what is it like? And and why is it hard? And and all these things that we talk about and sports there is all this sort of like motivational you know, go one hundred percent or you have to you know, go that, but but what does that actually mean? You know, what is one hundred percent for one person versus another? Or like you know what. So it's those kinds of of of you know, messier parts that I think a lot of athletes don't want you to see because they do chip away at the armor of the kind of you know the warrior who you know sort of you know, slays the dragon. I think when you see Rafa kind of tearing up, you know there's a vulnera but there's a there's a sensitivity there that exists. You know that that's for some athletes, you know, they don't necessarily want to reveal that side of themselves. But that's honestly what I like love most about Rafa is that he just feels, you know, more human to me than and I've done profiles and other athletes and and you know, and in celebrities in general, and I feel like Rafa because of where he's from, because of his family, because of the kind of like ethos, you know, and upbringing that he had, he's just very himself. He's very real, and he's and he's very down to earth, and he experiences emotions, you know, in a similar way. I think that to a lot of us, and and the fact that he was willing to show that was was very brave in and of itself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we would also love to know. Yeah, because you kind of refer to previous projects you've done, there's been some sporting projects you've worked on. I think there was the HBO series twenty four to seven earlier in your career, which had a sporting focus following teams and athletes getting prepared for sporting events. But a lot of your other work has been not in the sporting space, and certainly not in tennis. Has it kind of shifted your attitude to like, are you more of a tennis fan now? Are these? Are there kind of other tennis projects you'd like to explore or was this kind of a one off for you?
Speaker 3: Don't know. I I did work in sports early in my career, in sports documentaries, not necessarily because I was a fan of sports, just because it was the place that I found a job and in entrance into the documentary world. You know, I I do like tennis. My dad was a good tennis player, so I grew up playing tennis as a kid. You know. Obviously that helped me in some ways just to sort of like understand, you know, the game, and and came in with a curiosity and excitement about the project. But you know, and I think it is a it's a beautiful game to watch. I think it's a great game to profile somebody because it's an individual sport and and you know, you know, all of these other sports, you know, whether we profile a soccer player or a basketball player, you know so much, so much of their accomplishments are always depending on you know, their teammates, Like how how how great would have Michael Jordan been without Scottie Pippen? You know, we will never know you. You certainly know how good Rafa uh you know was And the fact that it's you know, you out there against somebody else in this arena, all eyes on you. Everything is exposed, every weakness that you potentially have is exposed. You know, it makes for a very dramatic kind of uh you know battle, you know, almost like boxing a spectacle. And I think that that is, you know, from a filmmaker's perspective. You know, it allows you to kind of be you know, bigger with with the way that you present it. I mean the Federal match specifically, you know, like the music is really big. There's just that there's this epicness to the way that it's presented. And you know, I can't think of a lot of other sporting events like that where had the lead up, you have the rivalry, the one versus one. The personalities are so different, you know, I don't know of ones in history that really matched that kind of you know, dichotomy of character. Maybe you know Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier or something like that. But so tennis is is nice, I think from a sort of profiling and individual perspective, and I think it's it's a beautiful game, you know, to film esthetically, you know, I think there's a there's a you know, an elegance and artistry in Rafa's game, you know, the sliding on clay. I just remember there's one line where he says, like, you know, if I needed a slide you know, ten meters, I did, and you see him to slide across the screen and it's it's, you know, I find it to be a really beautiful sport. So I would love to do more tennis projects. You know, I I don't have anything you know immediately that I'm doing tennis related, but I do love it as a as a sport.
Speaker 1: For for filming, it was it was wonderful to hear of hear from some of those rivals that you just talked about, you know, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andie Roddick and John McEnroe also featured. What was it like to spend time with those former players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was interesting. You know, all of them are very very different. You know, I think all of them have great respect for Rafa. You know, it's it was in some in some ways easy to you know, have the get those people to talk because they all respected Rafa so much and were very happy too to be a part of the documentary. Yeah. I mean, I I think, you know, Novak has so many interesting insights and really kind of is a good storyteller and and and uh and you know, an intellectual sort of like willing to really dive into things, and and you know, Roger was was really good at just explaining what it was like at the at the time. I think you know how impressive Rafa was when he first started. And you know, I think that the focus for me was always Rafa's inner circle. I think that some of those other players, even like the journalists to some extent, they don't really know Rafa. You know that they know the tennis player, and they know the matches, and they know, you know, the intensity that he brought, but you know, the inside about who he really is all kick his family. So Yeah, while I think those interviews were important, you know, to sort of retell those historical matches that really define his career, you know, I think that the more important characters and the ones that I certainly wanted to focus on, were, you know, his team and family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that was what was most you know, beautiful for us as journalists as well. We'd never heard from so many of those people.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was Yeah, that was the first time i'd heard a lot of them talk. I think Peve and I were both chatting before this interview about just how much we learned. Even though we've been in that space ourselves for years as tennis people, we learned so much and heard from new voices. It was that was such a defining feature of it. You've been so generous with your time today, Zach.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We've loved this. We wanted to know. As you said, you don't have any tennis projects on the horizon at the moment, So what is next for you? What's your what's your next project? Where are you off to and what will the next a little while look like for you.
Speaker 3: I'm working on something, but I can't talk about it. I'm sorry. Yeah, we'll look out for it, you know, like all of these things that they take a while. I imagine it will be probably two years before this comes out, you know. The Rafa one was about two years. It was about a year of filming and a year of editing. Documentaries take a long time, you know. I'm enjoying a little bit of a little bit of downtime now before you know, I get going on this other project, you know, the making of a documentary series. It's four hours about you know, someone you know as as noteworthy and famous and important as as Rafa. You know, it's it's hard. There's a lot of reviews and a lot of people you know, a lot of notes and and you know, and you're sort of constantly trying to make things better and improve upon the project. So it was a beast of a project for sure. So I'm taking a little bit of time off before jumping into the next one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely fair. Oh we did hear though that you were off to Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: Is that true? I am. I'm going to Wimbledon for a day, so I'll be at the quarterfinals on Tuesday, which I've never been. Uh so I'm excited. Yeah, it's yeah, it's the only major I haven't been to. Actually I went to I went to the Australian Open with Rafa, but he didn't play, so I actually didn't get to watch it match there, so it doesn't can.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll have to come back. Love to back, Zach. Thank you so much for your time today. It's been. Yeah, it's been wonderful to learn more about refer and yeah, your great work.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, thank you for all the questions and for supporting the project, and yeah, this was fun.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Exome and congratulations. Yeah. For anyone that doesn't know, I guess do we put a spoiler alert in? It's been out there for long enough, but people listening and watching can go and find it on Netflix. Has been out was it since May twenty six or May twenty nine? Between May twenty ninth, Yes, so go and watch it. Four episodes yet we loved it and we're sure everyone else will too. Well, Viv, that was fantastic to be joined by Zach. Great to hear that he's having some much deserve time off after what was a huge project, and that he got to go to Wimbledon for the first time, which is really cool. But yeah, wasn't it fascinating to hear that so early in the process of making this documentary Raffa got injured and pulled out of the AO, and Zach kind of didn't even know what would happen. Would would Raffa want to keep doing the documentary? What direction would it take from here? I just thought, what an amazing challenge to overcome so quickly in the filming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess as somebody who has worked in the creative space and has to edit a lot of things. Just kind of fascinating to hear how the narrative unfolded as the story progressed. Really and yeah, as it turned out he had so much to work with. The RAFFA wanted another episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was. That was fantastic too. Well, we'll be back again next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never missed an episode when it lands in your feed, and if you could leave us a rating or a review, we'd love that too. See you next week, Viv, See you then, Matt,