Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantas, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantas is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hello everyone, welcome to the Unplayable Podcast. Just the men's T twenty World Cup is underway and the Aussies they're going to be an action very shortly. They take on Ireland on Wednesday, February eleven. My name is josh Onnafinger, joined now by Jack Painter who's over there in Sri Lanka at the Premadasa Stadium in Colombo. And Jack, how are things over there in the island nation.
Speaker 2: It's pretty warm and hot and humid, so as you'd expect in Sri Lanka. It's beautiful sunshine today here it's here at the ground the light training session for a couple of the Aussies. But the oh, things are going well and it's been a fairly decent build in for Australia too. They're the last of the twenty teams kick off their campaign which will be tomorrow night against Ireland.
Speaker 1: We've got a big episode coming up for you as well. Josh Engliss is the special guest. He'll be up in just a few moments. Jack, you had a chat to him. We're also going to be talking about the best T twenty World Cup performances of all time, so make sure you get in your nominations as well. Jack, you've spent a little bit of time in Sri Lanka leading into this first game. Where have you been and what have you been up to.
Speaker 2: We have, Josh, My wife came up with me before the tournament kicked off and we had a great time. It's a beautiful country like beautiful people plenty to see as well, lots of diversity. We went down south and saw the beaches and then went across and saw some elephants at the at the National Park and did a safari there and then back up to the hills and did some hiking around as well. So I've seen a fair bit of it in the week leading up to the tournaments. But it's back back into the work now and enough about the traveling and we can focus on the cricket.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: We want to hear about your best meal so far. What if you're eaten?
Speaker 2: Surprisingly, I won't say this is the best meal, but surprisingly they do a very good wood fired pizza here in Schlanka, so we have been having a couple of those. It's not your traditional Sherilankin cuisine, but yeah, a few curries. We had a good chicken ticken masala one time. Similar, very similar food to what you'd expect in India. But they do an egg copper here for breakfast, which is like a bit of a Doughey pancake kind of thing with an egg in it. So certainly been enjoying a couple of those. But yeah, so maybe curry was the best meal.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Okay, Well, get stuck into those egg hoppers because you get an major energy. It's going to be a big tournament, some really tough conditions that are quite foreign to Australia as well, so the Aussies we're going to be touching on their potential side as well. And just a little bit, but you did catch up with Josh Ingliss just a day or two ago. He's the soul we could keep it in this squad, but that's not an issue for him. He's looking forward to the challenge and after this short break, let's say listen to your chat with Josh Mliss.
Speaker 2: Hello yone, and welcome to the Unplayable podcast, coming to you from Colombo as Australia built up to their World Cup opener against Ireland on Wednesday. My name is Jack Painter and I'm joined by Australia. We could keep it Josh Engliss to preview that match. Josh, thanks for joining us. Kim. How have you settled into Colomba.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been really good. We've been here for a few days now. Sort of a bit of a stop start beginning with the game getting rained off the other night, but now really happy to be here and look forward to getting.
Speaker 2: Going a long lead into that first game against Ireland. Your last team to get going in the tournament. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Speaker 3: I don't really know. I think you can make of it what you want.
Speaker 4: It's obviously nice we get to I think they're playing today, so we get a look at them and how they're going to line up and that sort of thing. But now looking forward, we've got obviously a few days training now, so they'll be nice to get into the prep.
Speaker 2: What do you know about Ireland? Australia played them once in the last decade, I think, so a bit of an unknown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not a whole heap, but like I said, I think that's why that game. Being able to watch that today all give us a lot more info on that side.
Speaker 2: And there's nine I was looking at their squad today. There's nine of those guys who played an eleven in the twenty two World Cup in Brisbane. You obviously weren't there at a cut hand, and there's a bit of familiarity there amongst the squad that the guys will face on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I said, I don't know a whole heap, but I think a lot of the guys, like you said, have come up against them before, so that'll be good for them.
Speaker 2: How do you go when playing against these teams like Ireland's in barbe Yaman that you're facing in Group B. Is it much preparation or is a bit of feel on the day or a bit of both.
Speaker 4: I think it's very individualized. Obviously, I think you've got to do a little bit more. Obviously we don't play against these guys a whole heap, so person i'd just like to look through their bowlers. We get sent out a whole stat pack from the from the team and we'll go through that, and I just like to have a look at their bowlers and their change ups and that sort of thing, just so it's not a surprise on the day.
Speaker 2: Have you played against me? Even before Phil Paul Sterling has been around the county scene, Josh Little has been in the IPL of You've seen much of those guys.
Speaker 4: I think played Little in the MLC and maybe Sterling in the hundred, But I learned that, yeah, not much.
Speaker 2: Let's sort of turn to the pack in Pakistan's series. You played just the one game there but didn't go to play obviously, But what do you take from it? I guess personally and as a group coming into a big tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously didn't go the way we would have liked.
Speaker 4: But I think the main thing we can take out as a bad end group is how well we need to be prepared for this World Cup. I think it just shows you need to have really good plans and strong plans from boor one to get your innings going. And I think it was a great learning curve for a lot of the younger guys that played during that series. Just how high cricket is in the Subcontinent.
Speaker 2: And a few moving past that that series as well, a few injuries obviously a couple of guys coming back into the squad for the tournament and you and I think Marcus Stine is going to played the one game there. Does that disrupt the group leading into the tournament or you know, is it good to have these sort of few days in Columbo who to get sort of settled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bit of both.
Speaker 4: Ideally, like it would have been nice if it was a week further down the track so we could have the full squad together playing games as a group, but just the way the schedule is, it didn't really allow that now at that time, so I think it's the right decision. You don't want to be guys getting injured before a big World Cup, So yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Is what it is.
Speaker 2: Really, let's go back a bit further, maybe two weeks now, Big Beast champions again, hitting the winning six hour?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 2: Was that for yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love my time of the scorches. We've had obviously a lot of success over the years and well we're not just rocking like that. It's a pretty special place to play and yeah, to be out there right at the end and hit the winning rungs was a really special feeling.
Speaker 2: There's a few I don't know if it was nerves maybe, but a couple of wickets lost towards the end there, and then I guess that that's sixth that you hit. We let Cooper Connelly have another chance at getting the side of the line, or you definitely trying to launch that one.
Speaker 3: No, no, I was definitely launching that one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've seen so many highlights of the past games the winning runs being hit, and I thought, this is my chance, so.
Speaker 3: I'll take it on. Yeah, as you said, we lost a few wickets towards the end.
Speaker 4: I think it rained and it was skidding on beautifully and then all of a sudden it just started nipping around about. I think it starky and Saber and Dwarsh bowled really well. So yeah, I took my opportunity.
Speaker 2: How do you guys keep doing it? I guess you've been there nine years now. I think this was part of your third title, yeah, I think, and a bit of a fresh looking greet this year. Obviously a lot of names still there, but Bowling Attack was quite different. Like, how do you guys sort of keep doing it and keep winning.
Speaker 4: I think it's just we've had the same pretty much the same group for the for the whole time, and as you know, most guys are in wa playing, so we all.
Speaker 3: Know each other so well.
Speaker 4: I think more importantly, we all know our roles really well within that side. And yeah, adding the overseers here and there just helps sprinkling a bit of that stardust around. We've seen how well Finn went this year. I think Payney was unbelievable when he came in. But yeah, as you said, we've we've lost a couple of experienced bowlers in Aj and Dorf, and I thought the way Marley in particular and Coop, the way they grew into the tournament with their bowling really helped us towards the back end imagined.
Speaker 2: Finn coach Adamvojas has given you a lot of credit for that recruitment a couple of years ago. Are you taking credit for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Are we requesting a surprize money as well for that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I obviously played with Finn in the in the MLC and saw how destructive he could be, and that's sort of a spot that we've battled with over the years. It's hard batting it optus in the power play because it does do a little bit. And I just thought he was someone that could really take ownership and take on those those power playovers. And yeah, he played beautifully this year.
Speaker 2: Did you see? How did you see his tournament this year? Obviously took him a little bit to get the pace of it and feel of the Australian gets last season, but then this season was just another level, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was. Yeah. I think he's spoken about it.
Speaker 4: I think he got injured after and sort of had a bit of time to reflect and work on his game, and he definitely came.
Speaker 3: Back a better cricketer. I think he played some really smart cricket at times as well. This year.
Speaker 4: It looks because he hits such a long ball, it looks like he just tries to hit every ball for six, But there is thought behind it. And no, he got us off to a good start more often than not.
Speaker 2: The celebrations Mitch Marshley in the way there was he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unsurprisingly bias led the charge.
Speaker 3: He's very good at that.
Speaker 2: Through the tradition. I guess I was changed the other day and he mentioned it always going to Freeman or for w A teams the Scorches always sort of head down there and that's part of your your celebration. Talk us through that and how you know your knowledge of the history of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I actually said to one of the boys on the day, I live quite far from Freo, but so I never really go there, and the only time I really go there is when we celebrate titles. So I love Freeman holds a special place in my heart. But no, I think it's great. The tradition, as you said, we always started. I think it's the Norfolk, the first pub that we always go to and sort of work our way through through Freoh And yeah, I don't I don't know when it when it started, but ever since sort of I've been in the side and I for She'll Win a few years back, we've we've done the same thing.
Speaker 2: I think you're saying it goes back to that I guess olden generation of when you had Gilly, Tom Moody, Brendon Julian playing for WA back in the nineties, and I think that's when they sort of started going down there. It's carried on ever since.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's brilliant, great day.
Speaker 2: It's fast forward again, I guess to playing Shrilanker. You've obviously got good memories here from one Hunter on Test debut, major ODI debut here, I think as well. And then you played against Shaker in Sydney for your T twenty debut, so I guess took us through your connection with Shrinker.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's quite strange how it's sort of panned out. Yeah, it's a it's a beautiful country.
Speaker 3: I love coming here.
Speaker 4: It's a great place to tour, and they're a very good cricket side, so you put all that together, it's pretty nice.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really really happy to be back here.
Speaker 2: Suit your style of player, you think playing it obviously playing a spin as it as strength of yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so it's something I enjoy about batting his face and spin bawling and yeah, looking at ways to score runs really on difficult wickets at times.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I thoroughly enjoy coming back here and playing.
Speaker 2: What's your understanding of why pitchers here tend to favor spin or not favor just spin friendly, I guess, And you know how that much as that talked about in the group, especially leading into a tournament such as the World Cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we speak about it a lot.
Speaker 4: I think obviously the wicket's a lot slower here, and it's not necessarily the ball that always spins big that gets you out or can be challenging. It's the inconsistency of it. Quite often it's the ball that skids on and always feels like it gathers pace off the wicket. So yeah, as I spoke about before, I think you're just going to be really well planned and prepared to where you're scoring areas are and how you are going to score runs out here.
Speaker 2: I did a piece dream The Big Bash about the role of spin at Opter Stadium, which may surprise me at the time, and others of you found that, you know, spin's playing a bigger role in what you know w A conditions where it's typically run own for being paced friendly, especially in sort of the T twenty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the wickets were a touch different this year, or have been for a couple of years. Maybe there haven't been that sort of glassy sheene that we used to see at the Whacker. Obviously you've got the bounce and the good pace in the wickets, so if there is spin as well.
Speaker 3: That that makes it doubly difficult.
Speaker 4: But yeah, as you said, we're seeing a lot more spin optics this year and the ball actually spinning there as well.
Speaker 2: You've been to a few World Cups, now this is your first one heading in is the I guess the starting week keeper. We obviously replaced Alex Carey in the twenty twenty three oh I World Cup, but are feeling sort of heading and knowing that you're going to be in that starting eleven to come to a start of the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice, it's nice, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my fourth t twenty World Cup and sort of my first time I'm probably going to play, so yeah, a little bit different this time, but it's nice to sort of have that experience under my belt as well, having been to a few before.
Speaker 2: Not having a backup keeper in the squad. Is that making nervous or a voter confidence a bit of both?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's it's good. I mean, like it is what it is.
Speaker 4: I think quite often you don't you don't need it, as I've seen, I've been to three before and not played a part, So you only need it when you need it, really, So yeah, I'll be throwing MAXI some balls this this Havo, just to make sure he's tiptop ready to go.
Speaker 2: Oh you went yesterday at training we saw him doing some catching drills.
Speaker 3: That wouldn't been great for doing.
Speaker 2: Surely, how do your aid he's keeping skills.
Speaker 3: I haven't said. I haven't seen much of it.
Speaker 4: At the when the game was rained off the other night, he had the gloves on in the changing rooms and TD was throwning balls, so the boedom got to him there.
Speaker 3: But no, I haven't. I haven't seen him. Obviously, he's highly skilled.
Speaker 4: His hand eye is ridiculous, so he'll probably be a freak at that too. But his gloves, yeah, they're his gloves, so he's kind of prepared. He's obviously been worded.
Speaker 2: Up and talks up he's keeping skills.
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 4: I haven't spoke to him about it, but I think he'd be I think he said he would be fine.
Speaker 3: Back to the stumps. It's up to the stumps where he might struggle a bit.
Speaker 2: Your role in this suber sing Bat's three preminantly through last year with all those T twenty series in the Caribbean against the India as well that sort of three sort of four role with potentially stopping its greenie there. Do you see that for yourself this time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've fully landed on on where I'll be just yet, but yeah, I imagine it would be sort of about three to four position. Yeah, trying to keep the momentum going after the top two go nuts hopefully.
Speaker 2: I just want to ask you about the record fastest century for Australia. You had it, TD got it from you. You're looking to get that.
Speaker 4: Back absolutely, But anytime you're going up against t D in terms of scoring rates and strike rates, it's.
Speaker 3: Probably a bit of a push. So we'll see how we go.
Speaker 2: Just for you, let you go. Josh Bi will finish off a few predictions for the tournament highest I was totally you've got a prediction. We've obviously seen high scoring totals in the West in his last year Australia bat you shift to a lot of aggressive batting. You've got a tip for us of what we can see this tournament.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, hopefully hopefully it's got a two in front of it. I think in Sri Lanka, I don't think the totals are going to be that high.
Speaker 3: But maybe if we.
Speaker 4: Go through to that Super eight stage in India, I think that's where you'll see the bigger totals generally better batting wickets and.
Speaker 2: Smaller grounds, best catch.
Speaker 4: Or you've probably got to go Max, You don't, Yeah, you pull some freakish ones off.
Speaker 3: So he's definitely got plenty in the locker.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to no out yourself for that one? Oh well yeah, yeah, most sixers for Australia in the tournament.
Speaker 4: I think Tim David, I think you've got to back him in what he've done, what he's done over the last few years and T twenty crickets ridiculous, So yeah, you'd be a brave man to go against him.
Speaker 2: Do you find yourself competing with him against in the nets?
Speaker 3: No, definitely not, there's no competition there.
Speaker 2: Who will Australia play in the final? Who do you fancy for that?
Speaker 4: I think I think you've got to go India. I think they're very strong, they've got most bases covered and in their home conditions as well, I.
Speaker 3: Think they'd be they'll be looking to be favorites.
Speaker 2: What do you learn, I guess good to sort of test yourselves out against them. That series against them in Australia last I think it was November. Yeah, it was a good opportunity to sort of see where you're at to the top rank site.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's nice playing them not so long ago as well. If we do come up against them later in the tournament, we've sort of have that knowledge of what we came up against and I know what will be. Yeah, we'll be facing really so Yeah, they're always a good team no matter where you play them, and yeah they'll be difficult to beat at home.
Speaker 2: Just appreciate your time, go well in the tournament and all the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Chi Mane.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Josh Englis, he's gone pretty safe there, Jack Tim David for the most sixers. I think that's pretty safe. Bet. I'm surprised he didn't want to nominate himself either the sixers or the catches. But you know, maybe he's just being modest, right.
Speaker 2: Well, we have seen him hit a few big hits as well. You know, he finished the BBL season with a six into the stands as optis and that's no mean fee either. So yeah, it did play it pretty safe, but you can't really go wrong with Tim David for the most sixers can you and Glenn Maxwell for the best catch played the safe with India as well, clearly the number one rank side heading into this tournament. They've dominated well, they won the last World Cup and they've dominated the two years since and they're the co hosts, so pretty safe bet there. But yeah, we'll wait and see. They got pushed in their first game by the USA, so there's a few upsets being flirted with at the moment. We haven't seen one yet, but surely we're due in the next few games.
Speaker 1: I must admit coming into this tournament I wasn't super excited for the prospect, but now that the games have started and we've actually got some results on really getting drawn in by the spectacle of another T twenty World Cup and having three matches per day. At this part of the tournament, there's just so much content to be across Netherlands, Italy and Nepal. Some great yeah, as you say, almost stories there, but there's a lot to be across at this early point of the tournament.
Speaker 2: It's a great time zone too for Australian audiences. You've got the four thirty PM game which is ten am local time, then you roll into a prime time sort of eight thirty slot, and then if you're really keen, you can stay up overnight and watch a full what quick mass here would be twelve thirteen forteen hours of straight cricket, wouldn't it. So that's definitely one for the cricket lovers, that one.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Mitch Marsh spoke to reporters on Tuesday, Jack Australian captain. Did he give any insights on how the Ausies are going to shape up for their first match or any other details on the team.
Speaker 2: He didn't confirm the team or anything like that, but he did say that Nathan Allis was available, having missed the Pakistan tour and then the Big Bash finals with that little hamstring niggle. He did say that he's Hurricanes teammate Tim David wouldn't play in the first match, so his hamstring is a bit more serious than Nathan Allis's, so he's coming back from potential a higher strain there. So he's been out since boxing days, so they're going to ease him back into the tournament. So that opens the door for Matt Renshaw to come into the eleven and play that middle order role that Tim David would have, which is potentially explains why they went that way in dropping Matt Short from the squad. They could potentially see that Renshaw would have a role to play in the first few games, and it looks to be the case if they indeed go that way with him.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me that those videos as I saw of Tim David on the cricket dot Com Dot A social channels of him smashing sixers onto the roof of the training ground, that's him with a bit of a still dodgy Hammy.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I can't say it's dodgy because he's been doing a lot of running. Yesterday we saw him. He did about ten runs between the wickets in his full kit. I'm just saying that, Kyle, I don't think they want to risk it this early in the tournament, given the severity of the injury that he's coming back from. So I think they're going to play it quite coush with him, knowing that potentially the pitchers here Art's high scoring as what you'll see in India later in the tournament, which is in term bringing those lesser associate nations into the contest because we've seeing one sixty odd versus one fifty clashes, so I think, yeah, potentially, I don't want to put too much burden on that hamstring with bringing him back too early in the tournament because they play the first two games in three days and then travel to Candy, which is a four hour road trip by bus, and they've got another two games there in three days. So it's a heavy start to the tournament for Australia even though they haven't played yet. But yeah, I think they'll look to take it easy with Tim Dave because he's arguably the most important player given the success he's had in India in this tournament.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and you did a bit of a deep dive into the stats as well, didn't you. I mean I was watching I've watched a couple of those cold Cutter games and the scoring has been really high, but then we might get lower scores in Tri Lanka. Is that going to be the trend for this tournament?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is that I was crunching the numbers and I'll give you a little look at the I guess what I was able to find out before the Peace Coast Live on CREA dot com. Dou but in India. The five venues that they're using for this tournament, which is Mumbai, Chennai, Dalhi, Metabad and col Cutter. The average score banning first is one hundred and eighty six, but in Tri Lanka it's only one hundred and forty eight, and that's in T twenty Internationals, and then if you look at T twenty World Cups it's even lower, So there is quite a drop there, and Sri Lanka is sort of around the mark of that, you know, one point fifty and you're in the game type of situation.
Speaker 1: Right, So we shouldn't get worried if we'll see Australia posting low scores and winning, because that is just along with the trend. And when they get to India for the second stage, hopefully all things going to play and then the scores should increase.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's right. And you've also got the pressure of a World Cup. You know, if you lose one game, you're potentially on the cusp of being eliminated. So even though Australia has battered so aggressively in the last World Cup cycle, there's a coming into a World Cup they get in a little bit of trouble it's kind of like, well, if we lose this game, we might be at risk of going out of the tournament. So you might see that's approach rained in a little bit. I did ask Mitch marsh about it and he said, you know, that's been their style and they'll look to keep doing that. But you just don't know in the heat of a World Cup match too.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't, but you can be pretty sure that Mitch Marsh is going to stick to his word and back himself in those sort of situations to be fun to watch for sure. The Aussies have had a few training sessions Jack and Colombo, what have you sort of picked up and Yeah, any sort of pointers that you've been able to extricate from those training sessions so far?
Speaker 2: Lots of spin All of the net bowlers that I've seen so far have been spinners, a lot of left arm finger spinners as well, so they've definitely been practicing that to sort of face that style of bowling. They've obviously got their own left arm spinners in the squad in Matt Kernerman and Cooper Connolly, so that's been a big, I guess focus for them. A lot of running sessions obviously Nathan aalysis coming back from that hamstring injury, and so it's Tim David. So they've been testing that out. One of the things I did pick up on and the cricket nufs will love this. But with their fielding practice, they've had this little foamy type baseball that they've been using to practice their catching out on the boundaries. Because the fielding coach, Andre Borovic was telling me that they curve in the air, so that replicates the powerful batters how they hit down on the ball and put backspin on it and actually rises as it goes towards the boundary. So they're able to replicate that with a slightly softer ball for those boundary catches.
Speaker 1: Wow, and so how does this foamy ball travel through the air? Does it float a bit or does it travel like a cricket ball.
Speaker 2: Would it floats through the air. So it's got baseball stitching on it, and it floats through the air. It's quite heavy, like, it's quite dense, so he's able to give it a good whack with a creat bat. But yeah, just sort of hovers in the air and you can imagine if you're playing a sort of backspin tennis backhand. You can imagine how that sort of rises up as it goes over the net. That's what they're trying to replicate with these catching practice, I guess because you see the powerful batters hit that kind of shot that moves through the air away from the fielder. So yeah, really nuffy sort of areas there. But I found it very interesting when I picked up one of these balls and threw it back to him the other day. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: A bit more innovation from the Aussies. That's good to see. Spin, as you touched on, is going to be a massive factor in this tournament. Adam Zampa will of course be front and center. How else do you see spin coming into the equation for this Aussie side. I mean, they've got Matt Cuoneman in the squad, they'veelt Cooper Connelly, They've of course got Glenn Maxwell there. So how do you think it's going to play out? And especially in Sri Lanka where maybe we're expecting pictures to turn a bit more than in India.
Speaker 2: It seems like they'll line up with the two spinners, whether that's Connolly or Ceronell or not quite sure yet. I've got a feeling Cuonerman might get the nine for this first game, but they've also got obviously Glenn Maxwell in the side, so you can expect twelve waves of spin and then two quicks and potentially Stoliness and Cameron Green to fill in the rest of the paceovers. So it definitely looks like spin's play a huge role in that first Group B match which Australia is in that group, which was at this ground as well, that Australia will play Ireland. That we saw twenty five of the forty zeros bold. We saw twenty five of the forty overs bold by spinners, which was thirteen in the Island bowlings and then twelve in the Sri Lankan bowlings. So already you can see the role that spin is playing, particularly in the Sri Lanka matches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and any other scored updates from the adsis we know that we've had Hazewood and come and initially named and now come out they've been replaced. Well, actually only one of them has been replaced. Can you explain what's happened there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we haven't had a replacement name for Hazewood yet, so technically still in the Australian squad even though the oddies have said is not going to be taking part in the tournament. That just gives them a little bit of flexibility as to who they name is that replacement, because perhaps they're not quite sure what type of player going to need because under ICC tournament guidelines, once you replace a player, they can't come back into the squad. So say, for instance, Australia had a fifteen man squad and then Josh inglyss Is, the sole Wike keeper, got injured. If they replaced English with a Wike keeper in the squad, English then couldn't come back into the squad for a short term injury, so it effectively leaves them without their best keep, even if he was only going to miss a couple of games. So it just gives them that flexibility to decide a bit later on what type of player they might need. They might be able to get through this Sri Lanka leg where they play their first four matches and decide, oh, we need another fast bowler or we need another batter for our Super eight matches in India. So yeah, it just gives them that little bit of flexibility to call on a player that they might not need right now, but they might need later in the tournament. So of course they've also got Sean Abbott here, so if they need a fast bowler quickly, they can also put him straight into the squad.
Speaker 1: Right, So Ben Dorshis was Pat Cummens's replacement, and Josh Hazwood hasn't been replaced, but Sean Abbott is there as a traveling reserve just in case.
Speaker 2: That's right, correct, Yeah, that's correct. So, yeah, he's traveling with the group, but he's the sixteenth player who's not officially part of the squad. But yeah, he's on standby if they need someone quickly.
Speaker 1: And Joshinguss was very diplomatic about Glenn Maxwell's keeping ability in that chat that we just heard. George Bailey did nominate Maxwell as the backup keeper in case of disaster in this tournament. You've watched a bit of MAXI with the gloves at a few of those training sessions. What have you picked up and do you think he's got what it takes.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, having not seen it in a game. I'm sure based on his ability he could do anything he puts his mind to. George Bailey has sort of said that he was a wicked keeper in his younger days, but I don't think he's done it for maybe ten odd years. But we did see him practicing. He's wik keeping mostly up to the stunts, which is what Joshingliss said would be. Maybe he's a little bit of a dicey area, but yeah, it certainly seems that way that if English hurts a finger or something on the morning of a match, that Maxwell would be the one to take the gloves if English couldn't play, So certainly seems like they're looking at that option.
Speaker 1: That would be incredible scenes, wouldn't it, And then of course that would impact Australia's bowling attack and everything would be out of whack. So let's hope for the best for Josh Ingles's hands and fingers throughout this tournament. Jack Ireland, what can we expect from the Irish Australia and play this team very much, but they're very much a team that always seems to hold their own, especially these sort of tournaments.
Speaker 2: They do. Yeah, well, if you look at their match up the other day against Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka the eighth twenty side and island of the eleventh, so they're actually not that far apart in terms of their world ranking and just know their general ability, So I think you can expect Ireland to push Australia, especially in these conditions where the scores of lava spin plays a big part. So they've got as I said, they bowled thirteen O was a spin. They've got bowlers who are experienced in these conditions. You know that the lower rank nations generally play a lot more on diceier pitches that are slow and low and don't offer as much pace as what Australia would usually play on, so this brings them back into the contest a lot more. They've got Matthew Humphreys who took the new ball the other day, and then they've got a lot of bowling all rounders in there as well. So Curtis Camfor didn't bowl against Sri Lanka, but he can bowl. He bats in the middle order. Those bowling all around, fast bowling all arounders who can compliment the spinners that they've got in Humphreys, George Dockrelin and Delaney. So yeah, they've got a lot of bowling options there in that side, so they can pick and choose who they want to throw the ball to depending on how they're going against Australia's powerful batting line.
Speaker 1: Dockrell he's one of my favorites. I remember playing with him on a Cricket Captain game back in twenty twelve or something like that. He's been around the county, seen a long long time and he's been a great servant of Irish cricket as well, So watch out for left arm of George Dockel. Also a big fan of Harry Tector. I haven't seen a lot of him live, but his scores across his fledgling career so far i've been pretty impressive and he got forty in that match against Sri Lanka. So of course he's coming in behind Paul Stirling, who is one of the greats Odiei's wise and also Irish wise, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been around forever. He's had a lot of success on the county and he's getting gigs across the world now too in those franchise competitions, just playing the same way as he always has. It's interesting that Josh Little didn't get a game in their first match. Is someone who's played in the IPL left armor bowls, you know, some good pace, so if he's not getting a game in their side. They definitely got a lot of depth in their squad and a lot of stability too. So nine of the squad actually played in the last match they did. They played it's Australia, which is back in the twenty twenty two World Cup in Brisbane.
Speaker 1: So it's amazing.
Speaker 2: But that was the only time they've played Australia in the last decade, so yeah, Australia is not really that familiar with playing as Island, so it could be a bit of testing out each other in the first few hours of tomorrow's match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. They've been able to keep that squad together so well since four years ago. I remember, Yeah, Josh Little had a very good tournament.
Speaker 2: And they beat England that tournament as well, didn't they. Yeah, I think they did at the MCG was it. That's a rain effective match. So yeah, they've got the They've had a history of upsetting the big nations, haven't they. So it's just a matter of time in this tournament you'd suspect and hopefully for Australia it's not them. That's on the end of it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The Tea Turning World Cup, formerly known as the World T twenty has been a tournament that's brought us lots of highs, lots of lows, and lots of memorable moments. Jack and On this episode, I wanted to put out the question to both you and our listeners, what are the best individual T twenty World Cup performances that we've seen going all the way back to two thousand and seven. If you want to get in your answers, jump onto the Cricket dot Com today you Instagram page. There's a story there where you can drop your answers. Also, send us an email at podcasts at Cricket dot Com DODA. You will read out the best dances. Next time we catch up with Jack and so, who immediately comes to mind Jack when we think about the best performances in this tournament.
Speaker 2: Well, the first one for me was obviously you've right seeing six to six's way back in the first World Cup. It's hard to go past.
Speaker 1: That one with the bowler being of course.
Speaker 2: With Stuart broad wasn't that six sixers so very young? Stuart Broader, He's come a long way since then. I mean some of the other ones from an Australian perspective, You've got Mike Hussey in twenty ten against Pakistan single handedly getting Australia over the line semi final. A couple of years later Carlos Braathwaite who hit four sixers in the last over to win the World Cup final. So those are two that stand out. I guess Another one for me from more recently, I guess is the title that Australia won. A lot of people talking about Mitch Marsh's seventy seven in the final, but I actually look back to that semi final where Marcus Denis and Matthew Wake got Australia over the line. They were dead and buried. I remember watching that live thinking, you know, it's not necessarily something you would see Australia ever do be able to pull off a run chase where they needed I must have needed twenty runs per over in the last three or something like that and they were able to pull it off. So that's a strong memory for me. And then the last one, I thought of Joshua just rolling through them here for you, so feel free to jump in whenever you like. The last one is that's that catch of Surakumada in the two thousand and final in so South Africa needed sixteen off six. David Miller was set and you would have backed him in had that ball gone over the rope for six. But you know, like the catches that we see Glenn Maxwell doing so many players nowadays, he was able to jump over the line while flicking it back in and complete the catch and win India the title.
Speaker 1: Now there was a bit of controversy around that catch too, wasn't there because the padded rope had moved from where it was initially placed and it looked like his foot was actually standing where that rope used to be. Should it have been given out Jack? Or was the right call made in the end?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Can we play the field as it lies? Can't you? I don't think you would have necessarily been looking at where the shadow of the rope was used to be, So yeah, I guess right. Colors made at the time, and India the World Cup champions, so fair play.
Speaker 1: Well, talking about great catches, it takes me back to the Glenn Phillips catch against Astraya at the SCG in twenty twenty two. Superman. He was diving, it felt like he was in the air for ages pulled off a full stretcher. Hard to go past that one and on the breathway remember the name innings, which of course we all remember. As you said, he hit four sixes to win the game off Ben Stokes and finished with thirty four off ten balls. But I was just looking at the scorecud I didn't realize he actually took three for twenty three in the first innings, so he's done it with ball and bad. Of course the wickets they're forgotten because the sixers were just so impressive. But yeah, that's one thing that really stood out to me and one thing I totally forgot about.
Speaker 2: It's a bit like Shahida Fridi back in two thousand and nine as well. He hit he hit fifty four off thirty four against South Africa and that's semi final. But then he also took two wickets as well, So you talk about wickets being forgotten, it's kind of like, yeah, all round performances like that, it's so crucial in T twenty games, especially when you got the likes of Australia and Ireland stacking their team with all rounders.
Speaker 1: And in terms of the best well let's give the bowlers some love. I had to look through the best individual performances and Rangina Harath took five wickets for three runs in three and a half overs against New Zealand in twenty fourteen. That must have been a very low, slow turning chattergram wicket there in Bangladesh.
Speaker 2: I can't I remember that one, but I remember that World Cup for the fact that Australia picked Brad Hodge and Brad hold In there. Yes that's a right, yeah, a couple and they're both over forty at the time. So that was when the Australia was really still figuring out this format and they just didn't have too much of a lead in as they do these days. But that's what I remember from that tournament.
Speaker 1: So get in your nominations for the Best T twenty World Cup Performances podcasts at cricket dot com dot you if you want to email it in, or jump onto the Instagram page of Cricket dot com Dot you. Jack. Thank you for the update, great work with Josh Engliss and good luck for the first few matches of this tournament. We'll catch up with you as it progresses.
Speaker 2: Thanks Josh Chat to you again soon