Speaker 1: The roof was closed to Rod Labor arena. We better get ready, it might be about to lift off. She's never then passed the first round in five previous attempts, but the Australian Open Causey de lacra.
Speaker 2: Is in the round at sixteen.
Speaker 3: Another win at the AO. After what you've done, you were through to the second week the fourth rounds then like yeah, interesting, it's a bit it's a bit sketchy maybe, but yeah, watching that, like what do you remember? Just because that was like taking it to another level. She's a Grand Slam champion. That's Rod Labor, not John Caine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and won the tournament previously, and I don't think anyone expected me to win. I think everyone at that point, even my coach, was like, well, whatever happens, happens. And I was like deep inside, I was like, no, I can win, Like I knew I could win that match. And it was very it's not very often that you always had that type of self belief or confidence that you were like what, it didn't matter who was doubt and you're like, no Ah, I'm going to go and win this one. And that was definitely one of those matches. But when I say it's a bit of a blur. I think it's because it was definitely the first breakthrough tournament for me at a bigger scale, and so I was just so in the moment and so present doing that that as my career went on, I probably will remember more moments, you know, a bit older, taking it all in, appreciating the good and the bad times. That that was just a very thrown thrown out there, just being in the present and whatever happens, and you don't get that feeling very much in life. I probably compare it a bit too, trying to think where you get that adrenaline where you're just like so oblivious, like I don't know, maybe giving childbirth or something like that, but like just that moment where you just like in this different world. But yeah, it was pretty special and it definitely flipped my career on its head for sure.
Speaker 3: So I guess twenty and nine and ten were both kind of injury mard for you. It was shoulder and foot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple of surgeries, yeah, shoulder and foot yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I guess, yeah that made coming back in twenty eleven and winning the French Open mixed doubles. It must have yeah, that must have felt really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah it did.
Speaker 4: And like, yeah, I had the shoulder surgery and luckily, like I could still use my legs and stuff, so I ran a lot. I did heaps of cross training and that, and then with all of that, I got some foot problems. So then I had some foot surgery and I didn't want to come back until I knew that I was like in tip top shape physically and mentally and emotionally and all of that. When I was out injured, I also did things that I've never done before. I went to beauty school and I did my stick Yeah, I did my stiff Gate three in beauty therapy. And it was a bit of a running joke that with you know, my other fellow Aussi tennis players that I'd open a Delhi's day spa on tour. So I but I did that. I made a new bunch of friends through beauty school that were awesome to hang out with. And yeah, I kind of just found myself a little bit again as Casey away from the court and established life in Sydney, and I went out, you know, I went out and had a few parties and did things that perhaps I had missed out on a little bit, and then when I came back, I was ready to go again. And little did I know I'd win my first major at the French Open in the Mix in twenty eleven as quickly as I did. But oh, I was so reboarding and I think the whole like just coming back playing with Scott Lipski, like who you know, had been grinding away for a long time. We didn't really know each other. We won so many close matches and it was just like one of those tournaments that I don't even know how we won it, but it was just teamwork. It was communication, it was good energy on the court, a few lucky points here and there, but just putting yourself out there and then yeah, to win it was like still obviously a highlight of my career.
Speaker 2: And then just a couple of years after that, your partnership with Ashbardy began in twenty thirteen. You made three Grand Slam finals that year. Tell us about what made you such great friends and playing partners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I am so grateful for my friendship with Ash, and I know it's mutual in a sense that what we were able to provide each other onto U was exactly what we both needed, and that was you know, having trust in someone ontour, honesty, loyalty, and we stuck together and we were just good. We are just good friends. And I think that translated onto the court in the way that we you know, played doubles as well. So I think we bonded over having very similar you know, values and morals and how we like to go about things. And yeah, and then we you know, complimented each other on the doubles court, lefty rioty combo. We both you know, just liked talking tactics. I mean there was not really when I met Ash when she was young, I was like this girl, I mean, her tennis brain is extraordinary. So yeah, I think it was something that I really cherish, my friendship with Ash and the time that we got to spend on and off the court, the challenges, the you know, we lost three Grand Slam finals that year, but we always looked at the positives like we're an Aussie pair and we've just made three Grand Slam doubles finals and she was so young. So yeah, it was a pretty special year twenty thirteen. And to do that with Ash by my side was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Did you kind of feel like Ash's big sister at times.
Speaker 4: I did. There's obviously like a bit of a gap between us, so, but she's very mature and perhaps I'm quite immature. I don't know, but I think we just we had this real sisterhood. Yeah, and that is something that is very hard to find often in tennis. I mean, we have a very great, you know culture amongst us Aussie women tennis players in general. So I think I knew I had, you know, whether it be Stubbsy or Alisha or Sam or Pratty, like we always had each other. And then you know, I had Ash come along and I was like, let's go mate, you know, we're gonna be buddies too, And yeah, it was nice. It was nice to have someone also just to chat about footy or I don't know what you're gonna have for dinner, or you know, maybe if I'm just having a bad day, can you come over and let's you know, just have a laugh. So that stuff was awesome. But yeah, I didn't It didn't. It wasn't ever like organized either. It was just like we're friends. And however I felt I was helping Ash was purely just from a very natural and organic way of when you meet someone and you connect. And she did a lot for me too. She helped me through some of my tough times on tour, and I got youthfulness and I got a lot of perspective from Ash as well in my own personal and career as well. So I think it was a match made in heaven in that sense.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to hear the full episode of our interview with Casey, search for the sit down or tap the link in the episode Nights