Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast Old Score Radio.
Speaker 3: Beautiful Love Occasions.
Speaker 1: That's the style. So I want to do that every Friday.
Speaker 3: Friday.
Speaker 2: Nice, it's nineteen eighty nine Love Occasions.
Speaker 4: You've got the date voice, you can get it there.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into Friday recommendations. We call it a recommendation station the things that we're enjoying this week at the moment.
Speaker 1: Two from me? What's a TV show? One movie?
Speaker 2: TV show is the second season of The Brilliant Night Manager. Oh my god, it's like it's shot like a James Bond movie.
Speaker 1: Is be useful TV?
Speaker 2: Second season still as good as the first one that came out quite a few years ago, starring Tom Hillston, you know the one they always see dancing on The Graham Norton Show.
Speaker 1: Yes, he would be a good Bond. Great TV.
Speaker 2: The other thing, I wanted to see a movie yesterday. And by the way, we have to talk about autographs. A lady storm in the street yesterday. Here is Sydney and she she's new, listened to the show, and then she asked me something you don't get answer anymore because everyone wants a selfie. She actually wanted my autograph. And I didn't have a panel obviously, because no one asked for anyone's autograph. Now you have to do a selfie. And I said, do you mean selfish? Goes ah your autograph and I said, I don't have any I don't even got anything on me to sign. So she got this rackety old notebook out of this mankey looking ambag. Bless her, and I signed the back of a shopping list.
Speaker 1: Do you remember together over Diane? Do you remember when autographs were thing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Do you remember pick you could have autograph a book?
Speaker 5: Yeah, special book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should go about buying them at a stationary agents. Still got autographs? Who have you got?
Speaker 5: I've got Ray Price, one of the greatest regul League players of all time, my favorite paramatta eel around yourself?
Speaker 1: Well in your autograph book?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he just wrote up. I had a little notepad and he just wrote up the eels Ray Price.
Speaker 3: Oh fantastic.
Speaker 1: I think do you remember autographs were really matter to us? Didn't?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was like the meat, like meeting the person, the famous person. It was like reliving that. When you would look get.
Speaker 1: That autograph, it was like their essence. Oh yeah, itself isn't the.
Speaker 4: Same, no, because it feels like it's tangible, it's something that's them.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to be honest with you, guys, Please don't judge me. But I just signed Christian and she went, can you put your full name? And I said, this is how I do my autograph, which is like I was if she was a scammer. Yeah, she was suddenly going to just con me by pandering.
Speaker 1: To my ego, and it's kind of smart.
Speaker 2: She's just walking up and down the street asking any autograph sign right here? So please this morning, let me know whose autograph did you get?
Speaker 1: It's like a golden age, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Remember people used to hang around outside theaters and.
Speaker 1: Like sports stadiums collecting, yeah, getting ads to us. But now it's more selfies.
Speaker 5: Is especially sports teams like signed the jerseys yeah and theer yeah.
Speaker 1: Yah, So whose autograph did you get? Let me know?
Speaker 2: Four seven five three, one oh four three and yeah. I went to cinema yesterday. I saw a great new movie.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's a director by Bradley Cooper, stars Win Honor and Laura dern Is called is This Thing On?
Speaker 4: I've seen the trail and it looks fantastic.
Speaker 2: I really really enjoyed it and it was a special connection to me. This is the real life love story of a friend of mine who's a comedian called John Bishop. John was in Australia touring just raw, Chris. I'm sure that there are people now who've actually seen John Lives a brilliant comedian.
Speaker 1: This is his real life love story for him and his wife.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, been obviously transported to America American eyed, but really it's John's story. It's amazing to see my friend John, John Bishop's name at the end in the story by John Bishop. John and his wife were separating and John was worked in South and then one night, just out of semi bored him, he put his name down to go and do stand up and open mic spot. Never done it before his life, and he then started it a couple more times. He was kind of lost in his life and about to break up with his school sweetheart, and on about his third or fourth open mic spot, his soon to be ex wife happened to be in the crowd. Obviously didn't see he goes up the lights, you can't see into the crowd. She fell back in love with the man he used to be. They started to date again. They'd be married twenty five years. This is his story. Amazing, goosebumps. This is such a lovely story that.
Speaker 4: Would be like, reminds me of the song. What's the Pinicolata song? You know how they write to the like that.
Speaker 2: That's not about a guy becoming a mega stand up Star's John wasn't having an effeir. I mean, you've actually listened to what I've said and translated into noise. When is Rio back?
Speaker 1: You should be the other side of the glass, the other side of the gloss.
Speaker 6: No, that's where I belong.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is very tough.
Speaker 2: Whatever story I say to you always go. It reminds me it's a bit like the Pinakolata song.
Speaker 3: I bloody loved that song.
Speaker 2: You wan to dedicate that just soon to me? Why all right, Patsy, what are you giving your double thumbs up to?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 6: I was on the red carpet for Bez Luhrman's premiere of Epic yes Week, which is so when he made the Elvis movie with Jacob Alordie, the Aussie, they found uncovered all this Elvis never before seen Elvis footage. It was in the m G and m G M vault in the salt mines in Kansas. They put it there to preserve it. And as he was coming across all this footage for the movie, they found sixty five boxes of film and he thought, I've got to do something with this. Obviously, just a phenomenal fan of Elvis, and this has been a real labor of love. It's taken him like two years. He's worked with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson to come up with this. It's not really a docoh, it's not really a movie. It's just it's ninety five minutes and it is Elvis speaking, So it's it's a forty five minute interview with Elvis, and he he talks about everything. It's not so much showby's Elvis. It's about his life, what he believes. It is beautiful on the big screen, and honestly, some of the close ups are so close up and it almost it's in such pristine condition it almost looks like it's ai but it's absolutely not you love it parts. I loved it, loved it.
Speaker 1: It's a huge man.
Speaker 6: We've done Graceland all the rest of it. But yeah, he's close. Are so close you can nearly count the numbers.
Speaker 2: Spooky now what they lashes, how they can digitally render stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And is it like he's still alive? Because I read a review and that's what I said. It's there's something spooky about it. It's incredibly immersive, and I.
Speaker 6: Think the thing too Christian is because there's a limited film of Elvis to an extent, and we've all seen it a million times. If you're a real fan, it's like, oh you've seen that, But this is you know, when you can get your eyes on something that you haven't seen before.
Speaker 1: He must have had to go through hundreds of hours.
Speaker 6: Absolute labor of love, and he had to match the footage with you know, and find the voice track.
Speaker 1: Like just what a beautiful man he was as well? It was just striking the.
Speaker 6: Most attractive man I think that's ever walked.
Speaker 1: Oh this is what about m Seeming?
Speaker 2: Oh no, you put him in a black Cat's I don't know who I can choose to dream.
Speaker 4: It's a.
Speaker 3: Bomb, but it was.
Speaker 6: It was just beautiful. So it opens in cinemas across the country next Thursday. If you can place see in on the screen. And Baz said, this is the world tour that Elvis never got to do. Say, and he did have a contract to tour in Australia, but the colonel blocked it. Apparently it was meant to tour here. So if you're an Elvis fan, go and see it. Epic Cinema's Australia wide next week.
Speaker 5: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Alex, what are you giving double thumbs up to? What are you enjoying at the moment.
Speaker 5: Well, look, my wife forced me to watch this and I thank Bonnie for doing that because it was amazing. It's to take that documentary on Netflix.
Speaker 1: We've just started watching it.
Speaker 5: It's so good, isn't it amazing? And it got like thirty five hours of sort of well thirty years, i should say, of footage that they've been able to use. And what they do They just run that footage over the interview, so you don't actually see any of the five guys on their faces. It's like a voiceover.
Speaker 1: I read it. I love how they do that, Yeah, because.
Speaker 5: They've got so much footage and it goes what a story as well, incredible story that these work in class lads. I love the Northern English accent. I've got to say it, especially Gaddy Barlow and.
Speaker 1: Can you understand it? Did you have it with captions?
Speaker 5: Some of what I didn't, Yeah, because they've got.
Speaker 2: Mates and they were like I couldn't understand a lot of what they were saying.
Speaker 1: It's not that bad.
Speaker 2: It's not we can't understand a lot of Australians are saying exactly.
Speaker 5: But look, I really enjoyed it, especially I guess what they came from and what they became and you know, I didn't know this, but though they had other names like cutus Rush, that was what they were before and then kick It as well, so they played around with a few bad names, but I'm glad they came up with take.
Speaker 2: It's just great seeing all that footage of when they were, like what all the bands your stuff do when they still have to go on like daytime TV and mine, and there was no effort to make it look live. You'd see no speakers, no amps, no microphones, just dancing and they were more like that but when they first start they looked more like male strippers and they used they used.
Speaker 1: To do all the big nightclubs as well in London. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were worked so hard and they still are brilliant live.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, and that do what you like. There's a film clip for that, and there's not many clothes on the lads. They're pretty much but naked.
Speaker 1: At some point.
Speaker 5: But no, and also the Robbie Williams part of it as well, Like how though, there was a really interesting quote from Gary Barlow saying none of us were looking sideways. We're all looking forwards and we weren't looking sideways at things like Robbie Williams going through what he was going through. And there's this footage of him clearly on something. Yes, just not in a good place.
Speaker 1: He's done.
Speaker 2: Robbie Williams has done so well to overcome his addiction sponsored by Elton John as well.
Speaker 1: We've gotten through all of that. It's incredible the whole story.
Speaker 2: And then obviously Gary Bardo very successful his zone right then the band getting back together. So yeah, we're about halfway through. I think it's outstanding. Great watch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so good Netflix. Three episodes just have a look, it's wonderful.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, it's not songs. We're asking for your.
Speaker 7: Christian people's play this from eighth this morning, your love songs for that special person in your life, wherever you are, to wherever they are, from your words to their hearts, love vacations.
Speaker 2: On The Christian O'Connell Show. By the way, just to balance us out, this already made me laugh. Listener Jeff said, listen, I'm single Christian, you know, for all of us who are judged by our looks and lack of online status, please play Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: Love stinks.
Speaker 5: Love stinks.
Speaker 1: We need to balance out. Let's syr up this morning, Oat in the cheese.
Speaker 7: Brilliant, Jeff, listen to you, my friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast