Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantas, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantas is proud to be flying Astralia's cricketers as they take on the.
Speaker 2: World by another gripping day of Test cricket.
Speaker 1: Here at the Gabba, Australia hold a forty four run lead, They've got four wickets in hand and yeah, plenty to talk about from today's action at the Gabba. Joshnafinker here joined again by Louis Cameron and good news, lou this match is going into a third day.
Speaker 3: That is good news. I'd say we're probably going to go into a fourth day as well. Be surprised if it didn't get there, although who knows. With the pace that these games are played at frenetic pace. Wasn't like it has felt like ODII cricket the whole way through, you know, Day one day too. The way the tactics, I mean, it felt like you need the fielding restrictions on at some point because England had you know, four or five fielders in the deep shortball tactics. Glore drop catcher's glore for and sixers glow weird kind of cricket, pink ball cricket at the Gabba.
Speaker 1: It is, yeah, Australia's run rate for the innings so far five point one eight. They were going at six point one nine in that first session when Head and weather Roll and then Marnus lavish and we're going really well. But they've taken themselves to six for three hundred and seventy eight. Everybody got a start pretty much. There's three scores of fifty plus a couple in the forties and Alex Carey's now forty six not out. That stumps with Michael Niester on fifteen not out. Jake Weatherill said after the match that you know, I think the bating group were disappointed that none of them could go on and make that one hundred, but so far he's the top score with seventy two from seventy eight And wasn't he great to watch today?
Speaker 3: He was, he was fantastic. I mean, it does kind of tell the story a little bit of Australia in recent times. They're batting. They've been a very successful Test team. That should be the first thing we should say. The next thing I'd say is their batting has never been great in that period. They've always just done enough and they've had elked fast bowling and you know an elite spinner as well, who have just gone to work and got him out of got him out of trouble and and kind of won games for them. Again, we've got a good but not great batting day for Australia, especially given how poor England started with a ball. I thought they came back pretty well in the day, but here was a real chance for you know, one of whether all Lavishane Smith, particularly Green, you know, maybe even English to go on and make a big score. We can excuse Jake because he's playing in his second game and you know he's a really exciting prospect.
Speaker 2: And he got a pretty good ball to be fair.
Speaker 3: He's got a very good yeah, a very good ball and a guy who can just crank it up at his pads. So yeah, a bit to dissect him in terms of the batting. Do you want to start with Jake.
Speaker 1: Let's start with Jake. Before we get to that. Let you touch on England's bowling. Stuart Borld called it erratic, Ricky Ponto called it rubbish. So that it gives you as a lot about those two comments, that gives you a bit of an ind what was happening. There were short, wide things over pitch deliveries, and eventually England sort of got it right towards the end of the day. But in that first session especially, there were boundaries galore, and Jake weather Order especially cashed in that famous cut shot that he's well, he's come from the Travis Head school of cut shots, hasn't he so strong through that area? And then also a six with an uppercut over third man. He said to ABC after the game, it's the first time he's ever played a shot like that.
Speaker 2: Then it came off pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah it did. And I'd love to talk about Jake, but maybe starting with just England's bowling a bit of It's hard to tell if they mixed up their tactics or they mixed up their execution early because they're all over the shop early and even when they went to the short ball ploy it just I wish they went to very early. It just didn't really work for them. And then as their bowling got better in the day, their fielding got worse, So that was kind of a they could just never really get ahead of it. Interesting stat from kriek Viz that I saw doing the rounds England quicks. This was during the session so might need to be updated, but they'd taken three for thirty three at eleven with deliveries that would have hit the stumps and three for almost three hundred at ninety nine with deliveries that wouldn't have hit the stumps. I don't think it's quite as simple as you just bottle the stumps and that's how you get Test week. It's never that simple. If you did that, you'd go for a lot of runs. But I think they misread the conditions a little bit. And I think you're playing a double edged game in pink ball cricket here, because if you do bowl your normal stuff outside of stump, fourth, fifth stump, the old ball at the stumps, you probably can teams can score pretty quickly, and that's what a strategy did do off the bat, but you probably I think this pitch does have it quite a bit in it at certain times, and if you pitch it up, stand up the scene, you're a chance of nicking guys off and getting balls to dart back off the pitch. I mean Josh English, he got bowled by one from Ben Stokes just trying to look. That was in the sixty fourth over the game, so that's a sixty four overall ball. Albeit they did change the ball at one point, but it's an older ball, so there is some merit I think in just bowling some normal stuff. But whether all I mean Weather and Head, they've just kind of stumbled upon something pretty good. Now, Like we've seen two partnerships over seventy five in two innings in a row. The last time Australia had had that in Test cricket was when Warner was opening the batting. Australia have been crying out for an aggressive batter to bat with usban Kuaja and they've kind of stumbled across two openers who were aggressive. Neither of them are batting with Usbanquaja and kind of a funny spot there, but Jake was kind of the one who took the aggressive option. He was the aggressor and Travis was kind of really really struggling early to be honest, and just looks like they got a really good dynamic going. They go way back those two.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was going to ask you the synergy is there. How important do you think it is for opening partners. Obviously Hate and then Lang were super tight. Warner and Kowaja were super tight. Those two have been a couple of the most successful pairs Australia have had in a long time. Now, these two know each other that they go way back as well. Even I think to the school cricket day is lou So how important is it that to know your opening partner?
Speaker 2: World you reckon?
Speaker 3: That's right, when you're listening to this, you'll be able to read a piece on cricket dot Com that are you. That kind of leads with an anecdote about how the first time they played against each other was a school game. Jake made one hundred and twenty four and then Travis Head also made one hundred in the same game playing for Trinity against Prince Alfred College, so they go right back. Jake has spoken a lot about how much he admires Travis Head is a left handed batter who just kind of goes after it. Obviously, Trab's never been a red ball opener, but I think Jake has based his game a little bit around what Trapp does, albeit with some slightly moving parts. One of the most interesting things I thought from Jake whether it's press conference, was him talking about, yes, I'm an aggressive batterer and I like to score, and I know my scoring zones, but one of the most important things for me earlier is leaving the ball really well and defending, but defending well, but particularly leaving like he wants to when that ball is in a dangerous spot. He wants to be getting his bat right out of the way. So he felt like he did that really well today and you know, then he's ended up scoring what was a seventy two or seventy eight balls, So none of these guys have any issues with the scoring rate at any point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny to say the leaving stuff we touched on Crawley yesterday, that was sort of an improvement for him. But then you've got Ben Duckett, who famously doesn't leave the ball. A lot of X great Test cricketers say you have to leave well in Australia to do well. I'm going to be watching Duckett very closely this series because if he sticks up with the no leaving sort of tactic, how will that affect his game going forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, and I'd like to see the stats.
Speaker 4: I feel like I have seen him leave one or two.
Speaker 3: He's obviously or two. Yeah, it might literally be one or two.
Speaker 4: He does score a lot of runs behind third man through wit so he's a really good player.
Speaker 3: I would be surprised if he doesn't do well in this series. He didn't have a great day today. Did he two drop catches? And might be a segue I do want to talk about the rest of the Aussie batting, but it might be segue into England's pretty poor fielding today.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, before, what about if before we go to the bad fielding, let's start with the really good fielding. Yes, because I've got good It's a liquorland chisse of that moment for me, lou Will Jackson. Well, let's say with Manus slavishamee. Because Manus took a great catch to finish off the England innings, running in at deep backward square egg full stretch dive, we'd given a nine out of ten, I'd say maybe nine and a half out of ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked a bit weird from where we were sitting. We thought the ball had kind of dropped out because it was a bit of a double motion. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Out of ten, I'm giving it a oh an eight or eight and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Think Will Jackson outdid him in the final session to get rid of Steve Smith. It was a dive that he sort of put both his hands up, the ball only went into one and then to me it sort of looked like the dive you do over a ball when you're pretending you can get the ball but you can't actually get it.
Speaker 2: Well, Jack's got it.
Speaker 1: He put in the command roll and everybody was stunned because it didn't look like he was a chance and he's pulled off one of the great catches we've seen in recent times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you were watching Ben Stokes when he took it. What did he do?
Speaker 1: So Stokes was at mid on and Stokes was so wrapped with the catch that he threw his English calf in the air tossed it away as if he was graduating from aischel or something. So that was great to see that Stokes was so happy for his mate. But that was a catch. It I could just watch on replay again and again.
Speaker 3: Yeah and again. This one had kind of happened right on the other side of the ground, And at first I thought he'd taken it like backhand panther with his left hand, because that was kind of the hand that we could kind of see doing the moving, But actually it was his it was his right hand. Spectacular moment, and it's you know, it's about the only good fielding bit from England today because yeah, they had that a shocker, really catching. Do you want me to go through it blow by blow?
Speaker 1: Well, let's do it. Yeah, let's do five catches I think overall, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five catches So Travis head on three by Jamie Smith. That was probably the easiest of the day. It only cost some thirty runs in the end, but that was a real sitter for the English wiki keeper. Carry first ball by Duckett, I mean that was pretty simple too. Duckett did have to kind of dive forward and that looked like maybe one where he didn't pick it up quite as quickly as you would have with a red ball, but that came in a really good, brightened castpell he bounced back really well from a lot of tap earlier. He took two wickets in the over that might have been a third. Duckett then dropped English again on twenty one, cast dropped Nissa on six when he was fielding it at mid wicket, and then Joe dropped Carry on twenty five when he was standing way too wide at first slip off Carry the left hander with Atkinson bowling around the wicket. Sometimes guys right arms bowling around the wicket to lefties can kind of throw your slip squad. I don't quite know where to stand, but Joe wasn't standing in the right spot.
Speaker 1: That didn't look like the ball raced away for four. Both Joe Root and then Jake weather Or sit after the game that it is tough to see the ball here. We've got these iconic multicolored seats that we're sitting on, of course, plus the crowd, plus the pink ball which they're not used to playing with, plus the lights. I mean, it is a tough situation. But Stro's record fielding under lights with the ball has been pretty strong, i'd say, across the years. England, I guess it's an unusual situation for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's a good point. I'd get the sense, just you know, thinking back, I don't think the Aussie has got quite as many square the wicket catchers, whereas the England just seemed to get a lot today. Joe Route had a really good, like any passion defense, I would say, of their preparation. He said that, you know, they've done five days of training. They field in the twilight, they field in the day, they field it at night, they caught in different positions and ultimately it's just quite difficult. And even Jack Weather will acknowledge it when when he got asked about it. You know, you go back to the pink ball game. I know it's a boring subject, but the promise is eleven game. Could some of those guys have gone and played in a game where and would that have helped? Maybe not, because you're playing at a different ground, certainly not as hot. They probably would have been wearing jumpers in Canberra, and you know, I think fielding in the heat here is really different, so I'm sure it would have made that much of a difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean, at the end of the day, we said it on day one how good Australia's fielding was, both with the runner and the catches, and then we're saying how bad England was today. So will it be a key component I mean, I guess with the other one with the Jacks catch, when you're weighing up whether to play him or sheld, l B is not taking that catch, is he? Jacks is a fast, superior fielder and batter, so he offers a lot. We haven't seen him bolve, just the one over which I think when for thirteen runs or something, But certainly I think he brings more to the table than their other off spinner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it probably you know, having the extra batting probably helps and a better fielder. I feel it's really harsh on Shold this year. I feel like the last memory I have of him fielding was him fielding with a broken finger at what I come of which ground, But it was during that India series early this year, and that guy, just like, you know, absolutely fair play to him. I showed so much courage bowling and batting and fielding through a really badly fractured finger. I'd love to see child be Sheer play a game in this series.
Speaker 2: But you're be fair, aren't you.
Speaker 3: I just would like to see him. I think I really like how they've just stuck with one spinner, a little bit like Zach Crawley in some senses they've gone, we actually rate you, we think you're the best player. This is the tool we want to get you too, and we're going to play you through thick and thin Stokes. I think from what I've seen is captain him really well and really tried to give him some confidence in the games I've seen. I didn't expect to be going on a one minute show year Randy or Josh, but but here we are. But yeah, then you kind of do all that work and then you don't pick him. I can understand the reasons, but I'd still like to see him at some point.
Speaker 1: One player who we did see for the first time this match was Steve smith with the Ice Dreams. They made his debut with the Shivner own Chanderpaul style glare reduction devices underneath it his eyes and worked pretty well from sixty one off eighty five.
Speaker 2: Looked pretty much untroubled.
Speaker 1: Until he's wicket, which was that Will Jack's catch. I think they might be here to stay for the pink ball, much as I'd say with Smithy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, did Shitneron wear them in day test matches or did he only wear them in day night odi question? Yeah, not sure, Yeah, I'd like to see him wear them all the time. It looks cool, but it looks really cool. Was he wearing them correctly?
Speaker 3: Do we know?
Speaker 2: Well? He has previously warm an upside down? Hasn't he but.
Speaker 3: Upside down or like inside out? What was? Why does it matter which? Because they're kind of just like square strips.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe they curve or something. I assume if they're back to front, the sticky side would be on one side.
Speaker 3: That would make them more glary and they fall off.
Speaker 1: I did manage to have a quick chat to Cameron Green in the leading to the game and I just said, look, where are your eyes strips? So you're going to wear them as well? And he said, mate to pull them off here they have to have ten thousand test runs or via cool West Indian.
Speaker 2: Fair play to Cam. I don't think we'll see him with them on this series.
Speaker 3: A good segue into Cam because he's someone who I think could make ten thousand test runs and gee, he looked like a million bucks when he was batting.
Speaker 2: Today and then some of those drives.
Speaker 3: Oh sumptuous and England came in with the planned I don't know if we saw that one in the first Test. I don't if he battered for long enough to have seen it, but two catching covers look like they wanted to tempt him outside of stump to drive on the up through the off side. There are a couple of times where he just smoked the ball straight through him through the two short covers and hadn't put a foot wrong and backing away from a broaden cast ball Cast kind of bluffed in m suppose after a lot of balls where he followed him with some short stuff and stumps were everywhere, so Cam did score a lot of runs doing exactly what he had done. I think it's probably the first thing which point out casts especially, but maybe some of their other bowlers too, were just going it in with short balls and there was no it was I think it was a mid off, but no one else in front of point on the off side, so he was just backing away and trying to flame through a cover. He got a couple of boundaries that way, and I reckon he might have even got one the ball or two before. And then third ball cast goes at the stumps. It was probably predictable that he was going to try at one point, and you know, it made him look silly like and when you're you end up like that, so a shame he went out like that like people are going to go come on like. I mean it's not just him like, but that whole top order. It's like there was some big runs to be had today and they could have been in a position where you know, instead of six for are we six for or seven for six for three seven eight stumps? You know, you could be three or four for four hundred and looking at making six hundred. You then get a big shot at batting during the day tomorrow against really tired bowlers and you could you could win this thing by knittings. They're ahead in the game, but England aren't out of it by any stretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it touched on a cast. It was a good comeback for him. We were checking the stats throughout that inning. He was on track to become the most expensive English.
Speaker 2: Test bowler ever. He was going at over eights.
Speaker 1: But to be fair to him, he came back with Stokes in an hour long tandem sort of spell. They bottle eleven overs together and they took three forty seven, So you know that's sort of wrestled England back into the game. We've seen Stokes do it with the ball quite a bit. But lude my question to you is, twenty overs under the belf for Joffra Archer doesn't look like he's at one hundred percent out there at the end of the day at least. How do you think this is going to affect him for the rest of the series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you could really see him starting spells today and he was really sore coming back into that night session. You know, his pace was in the one twenties and you could see it's just a struggle to get going. He as much as much work as he probably has done leading into the series, it just doesn't have the conditioning of a lot of long form behind long form cricket behind him over the last year or two. It's going to be a real challenge for him to get through through five tests. But yeah, on the positive side of things, cars So Yeah, I really rated how he just kept fronting up today. He's not choosing to bowl this short stuff like that. These are pre designated plans that they're they're using because of this pink ball just can't hold up on this gava surface. I think these first two days has proved that objectively, this is not the best place to play pink ball cricket. There aren't many places. There really is only one place that pink ball cricket has really worked. It's Adelaide Oval, and you know that is overwhelming the feedback you get from the players who play in it. So we're playing a bit of a weird ODI kind of test kind of thing. And yeah, so a guy like Bridon Cars just has to be the one to thump it into the turf. He came back really well, got those two wickets in the over. I thought Ben Stokes as well did a really good job, but he was all over the shop early on and then he bolts much better stuff later on. As you pointed out in that Yeah, not a game turning spell, but something that's kind of kept them in the contest.
Speaker 1: So Australia hold a forty four run lead heading into day three. I want to give you an update on the BBL good game, which we spoke about during the first Test.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: My rarity score was thirty seven point seven pretty good. Not the best I've had, but.
Speaker 3: That's out of one hundred, right, I think it's out of one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it could be a lot lower, but you want a lower score, not you want the lowest score you can get.
Speaker 2: You want to pick the most niche, the most rare, so.
Speaker 3: Zero would be like a perfect Jacoberfield or something.
Speaker 1: That's all right. So download the big Bash app. You can play this game in their game section. My most unique player today, lou Way.
Speaker 2: For this one, you had.
Speaker 1: To combine an Alex Carry teammate with an Adelaide Strikers player, so yeah, there's.
Speaker 2: A lot of overlap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yeah, I went with George Garton, the England all around.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's down there on the niche scale, all up there.
Speaker 2: On zero three percent, So pretty happy with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, right. I mean that's the beauty of the game is like that is objectively a very easy clue, but the multitude and the possibilities of what you could achieve with something very simple is very exciting. And I look forward to playing some Big Bash grid game because it is a lot of good fun. I'm absolutely chewed through it when they send me the demos for this, I did like ten in like an hour, and so I've just cooled off for a little bit. Yeah, I got an addictive personality, and I just know that if I started, I probably wouldn't get any work done this test. But as soon as his test wraps up, I'm going to be on like Donkey Kong on Big Bash.
Speaker 1: Gridley Love It listeners sent us in your rarity scores and your best picks from the BBL grid game. This has been an unplayable podcast from the Brisbane test match.
Speaker 2: We'll catch him to day through