Speaker 1: Are the Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Radio.
Speaker 2: What our windows done?
Speaker 3: My whoa risen?
Speaker 4: The dust?
Speaker 3: Only good zabs all down. I don't much, but yeah.
Speaker 5: I'm not our big get and what I want it don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup, Hi, guys, it's the pick up with Britt Hackley and Laura Ben.
Speaker 6: Happy Wednesday. We'll not happy for everyone, is it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I am obsessed with this Kylie Jenna Timothy shallow May.
Speaker 3: I ship.
Speaker 1: They're cute as little relationship. I just saw the video that's going viral. There's an open in the States called the Indian Wells.
Speaker 7: Indian Wells Tennis Competition means open, okay, because I'm a tenna's buff in case you didn't know.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So they're sitting next to each other, clearly a pap is videoing them, and Kylie is trying to kiss Timothy shallow May, but he's so disinterested, and she's like doing this cute little smiley, like kissy little thing on the side and he is trying to pull away from her.
Speaker 3: It's the most awkward exchange.
Speaker 6: I actually have trouble watching.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And then she's trying to rub his belly at the same time, like he's so fixed on wanting to watch this game, and she's just blissfully unaware, smiling and rubbing his belly like it's going to bring her good luck.
Speaker 7: I think she knows how awkward it was that he was trying to pull away from her in the kiss, and she was trying to be like doubling down on we're fine, Like that's why she was rubbing his belly and stuff. She was trying to keep the affection up because she knows she's on camera.
Speaker 3: I thought she was trying to make a wish.
Speaker 7: But there were there were forensic lip readers that have come out and said they read their conversation and apparently he said yum as well. But apparently after he said yum, he's like, watched the point, baby, Like watch the point.
Speaker 6: I don't think he was being a jerk.
Speaker 7: I think he's like trying to appease her, but he's also so in the tennis because his eyes his lips are on her and his eyes were on the tennis and he's trying to pull away and she's forcing him back, and the whole thing is so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Guys, We're going to put it up on the pickup socials if you want.
Speaker 3: To go and have a look at it and.
Speaker 1: Be and feel viscerally uncomfortable, as equally as uncomfortable as.
Speaker 3: We all felt for you to see. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether I'm just having one of those very proud parent moments, you know, when you find yourself sometimes or maybe you've been on the receiving end of this briut where someone's like showing you photos of their kid and you're thinking to yourself, please stop showing me photos.
Speaker 6: I'm on the receiving end of that daily with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, you're so proud.
Speaker 1: But now I'm doing it on national radio, So call me.
Speaker 3: Out if I'm self indulging. No, it is cute.
Speaker 1: Every so often they do things where you have these real moments where like you realize that they've kind of moved to a new phase or they're hitting a new milestone, and it's particularly cute now with Lola, she's only four years old. I think one of the big things I've loved about parenting, and like it's very small, but it's something I find very very sweet, is that kids often say words the wrong way, and then one day they figure it out and they say it the right way, and then they never ever say that cute thing ever again. Right, So, and I no, I mean this like Lola used to say boobooberries for blueberries, and it was a door and I never realized how much I was going to miss it until one day she just started saying blueberries and she never got it wrong again.
Speaker 7: Where is this going.
Speaker 6: Win a therapy session?
Speaker 3: So are.
Speaker 6: We mourning the lot that she can speak?
Speaker 3: She doesn't say boober berries? My baby's growing up?
Speaker 1: No, she's just started to sing her ABC's now very cute and important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just turned four.
Speaker 1: She doesn't sing them exactly correctly by any means, but I almost don't want to correct her because it is so cute.
Speaker 3: It is you have to correct her.
Speaker 7: You can't send her off for school for her whole life not knowing ABC's because you're holding on to boober berries.
Speaker 1: I don't know my boober berries anymore, So now I need my ABC's anyway. Have a listen to this. She's so proud of herself. She performs it every day. And I got it on record because it was the cutest thing ever.
Speaker 5: Ready one two three ab CVSD how so j j L b q y y s q I b w s y n Z Now I know you ABC. Next time we're teasing with me. Oh that was amazing.
Speaker 7: I think she sleept in there BWS the b one spirits.
Speaker 6: I think she spending too much time going there with you guys.
Speaker 1: She's like, now I know your a b c's like, it's definitely not mine because this is I don't know what I just made up, but that's.
Speaker 7: Where you've been there to b b one Spirits, it's very cute, to be fair, I was following that along as it went.
Speaker 6: I reckon that was like ninety seven percent.
Speaker 3: There were only a couple of I like how she really doubled the Q like you.
Speaker 1: Know quv W b y S bring your own, d I.
Speaker 6: Y y own do it yourself.
Speaker 3: L O L to me, I've watched that video so many times. I know, no I'm biased. I find it like the cutest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: But I do want to say this to parents because I feel as though you miss them.
Speaker 6: What's the message, what's the message for? What is the story here?
Speaker 1: You miss the little weird words that your kids used to say when they were little, and also the way that they speak when they little. They have such sweet little voices. And then one day you look at your six year old and you're like, oh my god, you're a kid. Like you're not a baby anymore.
Speaker 7: Hey, you look at your kid and they're doing drugs and they're dropping out of school.
Speaker 3: Hold on to those bibberberries.
Speaker 1: But I'm always recording the girls and like voice recording them. I have little podcasts that I've done with them from when they were little. So, like I would ask, trying to replace me with your kids, I'm trying to get a new co host. So one day when you move overseas to me with your fiance.
Speaker 3: Lola Marley May has stepan right in.
Speaker 1: Well not not only worried after hearing that, no, but what I mean is is, like I so encourage. I know everyone takes photos and everyone takes videos of their kids, but I really encourage to record audio of your children because their voices changed so much and so quickly over the years, and these little nuggets of memories I think are just as special as having the video and everything else. Like I love going back and listening to them answer questions in their own weird little way, and then asking them the same types of questions a year later, and seeing like, what's their responses as they've grown and they've changed.
Speaker 7: Well, I feel like if there's anything that you can hold on to, it's the fact that your husband, Mammy Jay still says s niland say cynical.
Speaker 6: So the still mistake's been made.
Speaker 3: In your family, and I record that as well.
Speaker 6: When your kids grow up, you've always got that.
Speaker 1: It's cue to when the four year old does it as opposed to the thirty eight year old.
Speaker 7: But anyway, so today on the pick hoop, a bit of a change of pace, But we're talking about what did you celebrate prematurely?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 6: The reason we're talking about this is because I'm.
Speaker 1: Still unsure of the reason. To be perfectly honest, I stumbled.
Speaker 7: Across an article that I cannot confirm or deny if it's even real, but it.
Speaker 6: Had me in his had been hysterics.
Speaker 7: I want to think it's real just because of how funny the story is. It's gone viral over the last couple of years, like it's not brand new, but it keeps rearing its head, like every year it makes it comeback.
Speaker 6: It's made to come back now. And I was like, surely there's other people that have celebrated prematurely.
Speaker 7: There is a guy in Africa who had worked at the same job for like just say twenty years, a very long time in and out.
Speaker 6: Didn't love it, had a problem with his boss.
Speaker 3: He did not like his job.
Speaker 1: He'd been slaving away, yeah, but doing it because he had to.
Speaker 7: Well, you got it right, you gotta work the money very very luckily, like the odds were against him, but he won the lotto like a huge sum of money, so he was totally one.
Speaker 6: So he was like, oh my god, I am out of here.
Speaker 7: He goes to his boss's desk the same day, quits, pulls his.
Speaker 6: Pants down and takes a dump on his boss's desk.
Speaker 3: Have a listen No.
Speaker 2: After being told that he won the lottery jackpots, a Western Cape man peed all over the office floor of his boss of over twenty three years and proceeded to take a dump on his boss's office desk before quitting his job on Friday morning. Now, when he went to go claim his winnings this morning, he found that he had never won.
Speaker 7: My apoliticians actually the reporters laugh is the funniest part.
Speaker 6: The video is quite long.
Speaker 7: The reporter couldn't speak for like ten minutes. He was in hysterics. So he did go and find out the next day after taking said dump that he didn't in fact win, and he's now.
Speaker 6: Unemployed, Like he doesn't have a job, he doesn't have money.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have a reference either. His boss isn't gonna give him one. No, I look, can you blame him though?
Speaker 6: Like if you yes, you don't have to take a dump.
Speaker 1: But if you hated your job and you hated your boss and you'd been there for twenty three years, twenty three years.
Speaker 7: Would you take it dump and you won the when you quit the podcast in radio?
Speaker 6: Are you gonna take a dump on my desk?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna take it dump in your desk.
Speaker 1: But I just like part of me thinks he probably had this moment of like I don't need this anymore, Like screw them, I'm leveling this up.
Speaker 3: I've given away two decades of my life. Wait my poop, and I'm gonna give you a bit of my hellhole.
Speaker 7: I probably when I when I'm trying to think of it, if I've ever like prematurely celebrated. There's no big thing that comes to mind. The only thing is that it was a bit of an internal celebration. When I was in the Bachelor finale, I thought I had it in the bag. I thought I was like, I thought that was a bit of a win. I was in a white dress, so I was the last person there. I was like, you know what, I reckon, I've snagged myself a boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Then he dumped me, so he took his own dump.
Speaker 1: That also just ca wasn't you prematurely celebrating? Like he told you that he was going to choose you the night before and then within eight hours changed his mind.
Speaker 7: Not in so many words, I don't want that headline getting out. He definitely didn't say I choose you, I cho cho choose you.
Speaker 3: What did he say then, I can't imagine life without you?
Speaker 6: Something I can't remember my quote.
Speaker 1: That is like a typical dateline, I cannot imagine life without you.
Speaker 3: Don't break up with you eight hours later. Don't take that quote either.
Speaker 7: It was just something that alluded to the fact of like, I'm so glad we that was like I'm being so purtantic, I'm so glad we met. I never thought i'd meet someone like you that we connect with so well, like something that basically alluded to, like.
Speaker 3: It's you, Bibi.
Speaker 7: Hey, we've got ever on the line. Am I Have you celebrated something prematurely?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 8: Girls, I love the show, and yes, I certainly have. So I got offered a job and I was going massive pay rise. This was going to be a six figure job and I was losing my mind of it. I got so excited and I thought, with all that money coming in, what am I going to do? I'm going to be a new woman. And some other guy who won the lottery, I was like, what am I gonna do? I've won the lottery. I want to treat my parents. I think that's on thing we always go back to. I want to do something for my parents. It's stuff for me all the time. It's the least I can do. They've never been on the cruise before, and I was like, I'm going to treat them with a little holiday away by a mcruse trip. How cool?
Speaker 4: Am my? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nailed it.
Speaker 8: But it turns out I jumped the gun a little bit and I can actually get the job. So with a deposit down on a cruise and I've already told my parents. I really had to do the call of shame, not only to my parents and tell them they can't go on the cruise anymore. Oh what I had to call the booking company and try and get my deposit back in.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it was terrible.
Speaker 1: Now there is an influencer, an Australian influencer who is going absolutely viral online at the moment. She's also a hairdresser and her name is Kim Happily. The reason why she's going viral is because she is only thirty seven years old. She has flown to Turkey to have a facelift and she's documented the whole process. A lot of people are accusing her of having body dysmorphia, which she rejects.
Speaker 6: Also, that's not an accusation.
Speaker 7: You don't accuse someone of having body dysmorphia, Like that's not something totally around.
Speaker 1: But I guess the thing is is like a lot of people are asking the question as to Wiger thirty seven year old, would feel such a strong need to go to another country spend thirty thousand Australian dollars to have something that is a major surgery, which is usually reserved for very significant signs of aging, seems super drastic for someone who's only thirty seven. We've spoken about it a bit, Britt, and we have like quite different opinions on this, And I really kind of read this, and I've also seen a lot of the tiktoks that she's put out documenting the process, and I guess for me, I think it errs in this really very murky space between promoting it rather than it being educational.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And the reason we disagree is because I don't find it promotion at all. I watched all of her story from go to woe. I looked at her before she went and had the surgery. I listened to why for me it doesn't come in promotion because she's not saying, Hey, look what I did. It's the best thing I ever did, It's amazing. Blah blah blah blah. She literally says the first three days were the worst days of her life. She says, she does it's so much pain. I would never recommend this to anyone, That's what she says. Fast forward a little bit to when she's recovered, she's like, would I do it again? Yes, I would because I'm so happy with how I feel now after doing it. I personally don't have a problem with plastic surgery. I have a problem with the reasons sometimes behind why when women feel the need to change who they are for someone else or society has made them feel so terrible about themselves that they're doing it not necessarily for quote unquote the right reason. But I think if someone truly believes it's going to make them happier or fix something that they have an insecurity about, if it's for the reason that's true to who they are, and it's not putting themselves out of pocket everything else that comes with it. I don't have a problem with somebody that wants to go and change something about their own body. I just maybe I'm an anomaly or the minority, but I think it's okay for someone to want to get surgery on their own body for the right reason.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with you in that situation, but I also think, like, what are the right reasons? And I guess the reason why when I saw this I had like quite a like I just found it absolutely fascinating and so unbelievable, is because I think that this like fear of aging and the expectation that we continue to look as though nothing's ever changed, we've never aged, is becoming so pressing that I think, like, thirty seven to go and get a facelift is crazily drastic, and I worry about what that means and what the world's going to be like. When my two little girls are thirty seven. Are they expected to never age? Are we expected to like, continue to look like we're in our twenties when we're in our thirties. When you're in your fifties, you've got to look like you're in your thirties. I understand when we say, like, oh, you've got to do it for the right reason, if it makes you happy. But I think the only reason why people are so unhappy with the way that they look is because society keeps telling them that they don't look right. It's a terrible thing to get old and to age and to have wrinkles and have saggy skin. And the reason why I felt very unsure about this is because yes, she documented the pain, but her now excitement about the post surgery and how great she looks.
Speaker 3: I think most people who watch that.
Speaker 1: Sort of staff ignore the three videos that are like the Three Days Hell documenting the aftercare. They just see the results and they want those results, And then I worry about what that means for young girls watching it thinking that face lists at thirty seven are normal.
Speaker 7: I agree, But when do we put the responsibility on the consumer? When do we stop blaming people for posting about their own life and blaming them for other people doing things and making choices the responsibility At the end of the day, you have to be medialliterate. You have to understand what you're consuming and why and be able to make educated decisions for yourself.
Speaker 6: And I think that's something we all need to learn.
Speaker 7: We can't be blaming people for putting content out and saying you're the reason all of these people are going to do something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think it works both ways.
Speaker 7: Of course, influencers have responsibility absolutely, but so does the consumer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I still you're never going to convince me that thirty seven is a good age to go and get a facelift.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what are you going to a facelift one day? What are you going to end up doing when you're fifty.
Speaker 1: I just don't think you're ever going to be satisfied or happy, like, Oh, I wonder what it is that you're chasing.
Speaker 7: Laura and I have been on a deep hunt, a Quest for the Best, you might say, to give away five thousand dollars to one of our community members, unsung heroes. Now, this is all thanks to Disney and snow White. The new Disney snow White is coming out March twenty. But we want to find those people in the community that are just doing good, spreading joy and kindness, somebody that we think five thousand dollars could really help. And to do this, people have been sending their nominations into our win page. So if you still want to nominate somebody, you can. But nothing brings me more joy, Laura, I don't know about you, but then giving away money to someone that needs it, so I'm so excited about this.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got Adam on the line.
Speaker 1: Adam, who is it that you are nominating for the Quest for the Best?
Speaker 4: I like to nominate Fiona. She works with the pizza shop called Vincenzo's in Maryland.
Speaker 3: Okay, why are you nominating fi Owner?
Speaker 4: I'm a regular there, I go, I say it once a week, but I just go, you know, three or four times a week. Every time I'm there. She's just, you know, such an amazing work. I just gives it her all, very lovely and you know, charismatic. And I have to tell you this story. So it happened a fortnight ago. And you know, I went for a big shop for coles and woolies. And then you know those kids' cards, like my nieces and nephews, right, they really love them?
Speaker 3: Yeah are they collecting?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah? And you know they had run out. And I went to the pizza shop that afternoon and I was telling, like you is a good listener. I was telling her my story, you know, my nieces and nephews. I really want, like you know, want these cards. And you know, a week later, I come back and she hands me my pizza and she's like, oh, I got these for you, And I opened the muppins the cards that yeah, yeah, I know she'sultless, Yes she is. So she's just amazing and she's so selfless what she did, And yeah, I love that.
Speaker 7: This is someone that you wouldn't normally think of. But I do have a question for you. Why are you frequenting the pizza shop four times?
Speaker 3: A week because your is amazing. I'd be going there.
Speaker 7: As well a week to the pizza shops a lot.
Speaker 4: Honestly, it's like just down the road. It's just so convenient and easy, and they just do really good pizzas there.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Adam, thank you so much for nominating Fiona. She has been shortlisted to win the five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: And also you've won yourself.
Speaker 1: Some tickets to go and see Disney Snow White in Cinema's March twenty, so you can give them to you.
Speaker 3: You can give them to your niece in neck for as well.
Speaker 4: Wow, thank you so much. Oh my god, we'll so welcome.
Speaker 7: You can head back and you can tell Fiona anyway. You can tell her she's nominated if you really want, or maybe you have to hold out.
Speaker 6: I don't know, if you want to give her the good news just in case.
Speaker 4: I think I might keep it a surprise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Laura, we might have to go to this pizza restaurant.
Speaker 6: Sounds great,