Speaker 1: Always Sunny, Always Sunny. A flexin Frooms live show recording brought to you by Cada and Specsavers.
Speaker 2: It is Flex and Rooms the podcast. Let's not what's the word I'm looking for mince words.
Speaker 1: I just knew.
Speaker 2: Literally, we've been so good at that. Flex and Rooms have an issue with going on tangents, So let's keep it tight and move straight into the podcast.
Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms they're the best.
Speaker 2: What did you cad?
Speaker 1: FLEXI I saw that Ireland Baldwin.
Speaker 2: Do you know who she is? One more time?
Speaker 1: Ireland Baldwin? Okay, yep, anybody else know Ireland Baldwin.
Speaker 2: Oh, Alec Baldwin, Hailey's sister, oh Halee Beaber, Hailey Beaber's cousin.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ireland Bourwen. I think she was the one that Alec Baldwin like left to really mean yeah a voicemail thank you on the front, and I was like, what is I think we heard that? Should we get into it? No, we won't get into that, okay classic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ireland recently had a baby, which freaks me out, Like I have this thought the other day thinking if someone's my agent gets pregnant twenty four that they're like a teen mum, but we're fully adults, Like if we're have a baby right now, it's like not an issue anyway, would.
Speaker 2: Be good for branding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the mummy bloger pipeline so Ireland Baldwin has had a baby and she's named it Holland. Initial thoughts pad up. If you think that's a good name?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you don't, okay. Can we be a bit more specific with if you think it's a good name? Okay?
Speaker 1: So I was thinking do you think that's a good name? My query is do you think it's okay to call your child a name of like a country that you have no ties to? Ireland Baldwin. I'm gonna assume they're from that region of the world maybe, or maybe they're not. And then she's clearly not from Holland, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: Clearly because you just found it. You were Scottish, true, true, and you're doing strect impersonations long before, long before.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's weird? Like if you had a baby, would you name it something that doesn't relate to you all the country you're from?
Speaker 2: I mean to be fair, I know, like people named Asia, people named India. I know a people named Paris who were not Parisian. I don't think I've really thought much of it. I feel as though whether it is offensive or inoffensive, the damage is done regardless. I just feel like you're gonna it's hard enough having a name that is not the norm from where you're from, but a name that is so common their whole life, they're gonna be battling. Oh, so are you from Holland? Oh do you have any family there? It's gonna be frustrating. But you know, I don't feel strongly about it.
Speaker 1: Do youse? It's rubbed you some kind of way round that's just interested me. Holland. Hmmm, Holland. I like it, Holland Holly. I guess you could shortened the Holly. So if like it comes around that naming your kid Holland is like a not okay thing to do, you just call it Holly. Easy way out. Well, that's on that controversial bab Holland. It's robbing you.
Speaker 2: See, this is Fruby has a very particular face and it's her bite, her tongue face where I'm like, just say it, babe, because it's bubbling right here, and I know you want to get it out.
Speaker 1: Can I interject and say that if you met somebody from Sydney.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that you probably really This is why I wanted to bring this up, because I want to name my kids Sydney with it with I. Oh, okay, So you were frowning at Ireland here like, oh, I'm gonna name my kid Sidney.
Speaker 1: It's weird.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: I knew that i'd put this in my notes. For some reason.
Speaker 2: There was thank you, Marty, Thanks Marty.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call my kids Sydney. But I think I'm allowed to because I spent a lot of my former formery years in Sydney.
Speaker 2: See, but up until this point, you're rep in Melbourne. I'm from Melbourne, guys. What do you call it?
Speaker 4: Docklands fits right, flicks and it's Valentine's So if you're in the car and you forgot that's Valentine's Day and you have a partner hot foot to.
Speaker 1: Your local calls, get a roach chin Bred, some of that some of that good quality mayonnaise, which do you know they're discontinuing Herman's. I was gonna literally say, I think it's Hellman's.
Speaker 2: Oh, sorry, babe.
Speaker 1: So thank you again. See this audience back up, FLEXI, what are your initial thoughts? I say, Valentine's Day. Let's to a word association. What's the first word you think of?
Speaker 2: Romance?
Speaker 1: Oh? I was picturing you're gonna say consumerism?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But babes, like, even if I said that, what is my name?
Speaker 1: Flex Mammy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Hair maiden of capitalism, hairmad of consumerism? Like I am the ultimate consumer and the ultimate capitalist. So like, when I hear these things, I'm like, what a fun way to participate. That being said, though, I will say, like I love the critical conversation around all of these like consumer centric holidays. I think it's really important to understand how you feel about the things where you position yourself on these things, because there's a lot of conversation, a lot of chit chat, and before you know, you find yourself really emotionally influenced by thinks you just fundamentally you don't care about. Like I'm so sure half people in this room don't have any thoughts on Valentine's Day. It's like whatever, like you're down, you're not down, whatever, And then the other half might feel like I have strong thoughts. So I think it's important to have strong thoughts. Realistically, I think it's chill.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: I think Valentine's Day and other consumeris con consumer lead. Is that what you call it? Consumerius?
Speaker 2: Lead?
Speaker 1: Holidays are actually the best because they're non denominational. Ok you can get involved. Okay, that is how the world heals Valentine's Day? What else is there? See? Offs off?
Speaker 2: Christmas? No Christmas, Halloween, no Halloween's witchy pagan's it's your yair. Sorry, your people, my people, but also Jesus and my people gon't get it. Do you think Valentine's Day is good? Paddles up?
Speaker 1: Okay, slowly.
Speaker 2: The next quick question, do you expect to be a participant in Valentine's Day? Are you expecting a gift or something? Are you trying to give a gift? Pedals up?
Speaker 1: So that's very few people romantics.
Speaker 2: Would you be excited if your partner or crush gave you something thoughtful or sweet or romantic on Valentine's say? Paddles up.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: See, So what I'm seeing is a bunch of haters in the room. A single.
Speaker 1: Up.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love this.
Speaker 1: That's acts of facts before we start, sir, in the green cap. I don't know if you like to be singled out? Can we get a microphone to this, gentlemen?
Speaker 2: Please already? Yeah, I've got some questions. I'm not ready for the part.
Speaker 1: I was waiting, So, Sir, I think you were saying what what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What were we saying before? And you nodding?
Speaker 2: So it was Valentine's Day, ganger present Valentine's Day?
Speaker 1: Are you going to get a gift?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: Because it's my partner's birthday on Valentine's Day as well, So that's why I'm a little bit salty about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, okay, so we can't have one day to ourselves? Can we be sweet that my class?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Class for love, young love, Young love. Sir, birthday King, What do you want for your birthday? Oh ah?
Speaker 2: Some new headphones?
Speaker 1: Maybe some live music tickets.
Speaker 2: That the brand? So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are we talking like maybe some new Sonny?
Speaker 2: Perhaps?
Speaker 1: Literally I'm wearing like thirty year old Sonny.
Speaker 2: So it's just if I get one hundred and ninety dollars they do see all real everybody here gets a one hundred and ninety nine dollars gifts out to dispect savers, so like your thought about it dropping the secret so to you anyway, I think you're gonna have a fantastic birthday.
Speaker 1: Happy birthday. Literally you might be turning twenty five, like for ya this year. It's very exciting. Quick caveat though, you know, a little paddle session we just.
Speaker 2: Did, you know, this is why I am like not critically thinking on the internet anymore, like I critically think in my own spaces because I feel as though, like it's such a hypothetical, like abstract conversation that contradicts how we all feel, like below the surface. So like I feel like most people in this room, people who are of like a similar like level of value as us, could say like.
Speaker 1: Okay, common people, what is the level of value? Like we share common values? Oh okay, I thought you meant like value in society.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, like we share like common values like we're lack minded people, right, so we know that like things.
Speaker 1: Doctors and nurses, Like, I don't know if you contribute that much girls, No, no, so like we can we know the verb, but you'd be like, you know.
Speaker 2: Valentine's Day is a capitalist holiday. La la la la la. But then on the surface, you would still be moved if someone was to honor you in that way on Valentine's Day. And I think like, obviously we had the patience to be like, hey, here's the contradiction now, But then on the Internet people aren't recognizing their own contradictions. Conversation gets boring. Back to the point, though, who's single? Paddles up? And I've actually made the paddles higher. Let's not be subtled with that. I whant to see paddles high up.
Speaker 1: Put your paddle up. Yeah, yeah, I'm here. We're actually only going to do one person because we don't have that much time. I'm both to do a separate DM. But who's single?
Speaker 2: It has a crush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were the first woman with yours.
Speaker 2: I told you right up.
Speaker 1: Who's the enjoyment? The baron barge? The baron barge? Wow, but no wetness on the boat? All right? Do you want to come up on stage?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, give her a flap sage. You're bold.
Speaker 1: Look at you with the disc so good?
Speaker 2: Literally twin Oh my god. For those who don't know, I wore this to the r's. It was very hard and did get best stressed.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm really stressed out though.
Speaker 2: Can we just include everybody in the room, single, not single, married, widow, divorced.
Speaker 1: Do you have a crush? Paddles up?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 2: What was.
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Better be recent for mcordethorn Roses.
Speaker 1: What is your name?
Speaker 2: My name is Grace, Grace.
Speaker 5: My middle names was Cinder actually, so yeah, wow, you taste.
Speaker 2: Aquarius like Crais Moon Moon thought it was in there somehe and loves.
Speaker 1: It, Gracie. Okay, so what is three things about your crush? Okay?
Speaker 2: He likes tns and jaws, paddles up, tns, jawns and drones. Those are the three I like your crush? Right George un beautiful comp and a little mullet and a little star. I'm hearing too many murmurs. What's going on?
Speaker 1: We don't like George.
Speaker 2: George Jean shorts, shorts, paddles out for a Jean short. I can, okay shaddle.
Speaker 1: Out for a mullet? Yeah they, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, look at you all stress for a second.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're just going to cut right to it because time is of the essence, isn't it, Brookie. See I'm the one taking the time for once he feels good, doesn't it. This is what I think you should say to your crush, how like close you?
Speaker 5: So he's actually best friends with this guy that was on and off with for like a year, same social circle, but it's like we're good friends, but like he's friends with the Eggs and it's just a bit like I don't know how to cross that boundary.
Speaker 2: Classic homie hop have we all been there? Are the homie told you are bringing back reckless energy? Just try it?
Speaker 1: Agreed? Okay, So this is how I think you should I'm going to say his name's Jordan. It's not, but I'll take it, okay, Dylan, No, hey Jordan, it's Grace. Even though you could see that from my handle? Is it an em? I went to a party the other day and I thought you were going to be there because I know you love tens and mullets, the concern on your face. The party was actually in Fitzroy, but I didn't see there. I was wondering if you were at the fitz Troy. That's a good one. Yeah, And then he's like, classic Grace, let's go sis, what's yours?
Speaker 2: I'm going to phone a friend for this one. And my friend, I mean, one of one hundred people in the crowd today, what is an effective DM slide?
Speaker 1: Okay, not too nice. Once I was asked what I was out to and I just sent my address as the reply.
Speaker 2: Do you know what though, that's bold? I feel like that's what I want to see, Okay, my treasure.
Speaker 1: And that's something I would do, honestly every time through.
Speaker 2: Me and I have a conversation about dating, I find that like our approaches are so extreme because I don't know how to be subtle or coy, and I can only do what one would refer to as a corporate DM slide. It's like, here is the context, here are the options A or B. Please let me know at you know, a realistic time. So like how I would DM slide is I would say, and this is one from the archives. I would say, this is me shooting my shot. So if that's not a vibe, let me know, babe, success right one hundred percent, because realistically, you don't shoot your shot when it's lukewarm. I feel like too many people like to select sit in ambiguity with like, oh you know, like is there tension? Babes, they were nice to you, there's not tension. I feel like if you're in an environment where it's flirty, there's no way you can lose because nobody is immune to lattery, nobody, not one person, So anything goes.
Speaker 1: Just a crush, just a crush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like friends. I don't know a great question.
Speaker 5: I'm definitely more of a froom's listener vibe, so I definitely princess era, sit back on them, come to me.
Speaker 2: They have to impress me. So I feel like I know that he's currently I don't think he knows he's there.
Speaker 5: I simmering, like kept the flirting going, but like the whole like friends with the X thing is like I don't know if I can cross that line.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to figure out how to do that. But I like this window of time, will you give yourself until you're like I'm done? I don't know.
Speaker 5: I feel like a good like if you message me when I was out and was like, oh, where are you at a bit, Oh my god, come to this party, and it'd be like, you know, a fun like chill, like I'm just amouting a friend like you always say, you know you could have an out right gotta be like, oh it's just amouting a friend to a pod right in case it's rejectionniability, So I always say so that way if it doesn't work out, just friends. But if it does, it's like, well we're a party and then.
Speaker 2: I can do that. You know, you look so cute.
Speaker 5: And if he's like, oh, like not about it, just a friend, just friend calling, what are you doing about?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So possible diability for sure.
Speaker 2: So see you in twenty twenty six. This is the longest game, every long list.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: I've got a question for you, through me, but also everyone in our live audience today. Can people exclude themselves from fashion? Can you really live this life and claim that you are not impacted or affected by fashion? Paddles up Throumy's got one paddle up, We've got two paddles three for context of like one hundred and twenty people in this room. So through me to clarify five paddles. Not putting words in your mouth, but you believe that people can earnestly exclude themselves from fashion and not be impacted by it at all? Well, there are two different things, Okay, please clarify the first one.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can exclude yourself from fashion, you reckon, Yes, what does.
Speaker 2: That mean to you? If I said I've excluded myself from fashion, what does that say?
Speaker 1: I can imagine you just having like one outfit that you always wear and it's not a political statement or is it. And you're not reading fashion magazines, you're not engaging in fashion. You're not thinking about what other people are wearing. I think that's the key, is not engaging and even thinking about it. And I think some people really don't. I think it's a luxury. I think some people have to think about fashion more than others. But I think some people I'm imagining someone like like a busy mum, Like I think about my mom when I was growing up, Like she's a busy mom, she works full time, not thinking about sinoea. She never buys clothes, That's what I'm picturing, So she's not in that cycle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, paddles up if you agree or like you you're of a similar vein kind of.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Yeah, because you're saying I think.
Speaker 2: People can kind of exclude themselves from like the superficiality of fashion. Definitely, But I think as a concept, the way you look, the way you present yourself, even if you don't think that you're act participating, well everyone who gets to observe you gets to say that you are, like you picking one outfit to where every day is participating. That's your form of participation. But when we were discussing this topic briefly a couple of years ago, Brookie, a producer, mentioned the devil wes Prata and she's got us a little exerpt from this. We can all be on the same page for the second half of this conversation.
Speaker 1: Love this one.
Speaker 3: Both those belts look exactly the same to me.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm still learning about this stuff and this stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select I don't know that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you're trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don't know is that that sweater is not just blue, it's not turquois, it's not lapist, it's actually and you're all so blithely unaware of the fact that in two thousand and two, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of Cerulian gowns, and then I think it was Eve sin Laurent, wasn't it who showed Cerrillian military jackets. I think we needed a jacket here, And then Cerulian quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers.
Speaker 1: I'm going to filter down.
Speaker 3: Through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you no doubt fished it out of some clearance spin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs. And it's sort of comical how you think that you've made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when in fact you're wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room.
Speaker 1: Wow, one of the all time great saints.
Speaker 2: Really. Now, you mentioned before that you believe people can exclude themselves from the fashion conversation, and you reference your mom, who you said, I don't want to like say.
Speaker 1: Busy, you know, maybe would have once once in a time, like thought about fashion, but had different priorities. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then after us we just played this little exerpt from devilwz Prata and they were saying that, like you know even now, right, let's say you've been wearing the same clothes for the last ten years, and so for all intents and purposes, you don't feel as you're participating in the fashion conversation because look, it's just these this is functional, I had it forever. What people are kind of infairing is that, well, at one point in time, ten years ago, that item that you bought was directly influenced by what was trending. It was at one point in time maybe the center of the conversation around fashion. It was pinnacle, it was necessary. And so even if you don't attribute your almost like relationship to it as.
Speaker 1: Being fashion, does that mean that it's not? Well, I think fashion is kind of like a language. It's like you can be fluent in something, or you can have some sort of like it's like digital literacy. So if you fully understand the Internet, or like if you're gen z and you're on TikTok constantly, then you you become fluent in like certain sounds or certain kind of trends or as. Then you get like someone a millennial, say, coming onto TikTok for the first time and they're usingth like that.
Speaker 2: Do do do do do Do Do Do do do do do do that?
Speaker 1: Like monkey spinning music?
Speaker 2: How come I don't know that one because.
Speaker 1: You're obviously more on the gen Z side because you're twenty four. What's the sound? Don't don don't don't?
Speaker 2: Oh the first time that comes on when you okay y y yeah yeh yeh okay yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah. I think that like, for example, Miranda Priestley and that has this encyclopedic knowledge of fashion, which I like the idea that you can exclude yourself. You cannot speak a language of fashion, say, and totally remove yourself from the conversation, because I think also fashion can be quite like give you a lot of anxiety. Like think when I was in school, I wouldn't go to hasual clothes, say I just wear like my uniform because it was so much pressure and I felt like I didn't have access to the clothes that actually expressed who I was, and so I just didn't participate. That's huge.
Speaker 2: Can I ask a question to you and also to our audience, if from today and I post this on my Instagram, so if you you're on there, you've experienced it, But if from this moment forward, for the rest of the year, you had to be dressed up in an aesthetic that you hated, right, Like, if you love color, it's all monotony. If you love clothes that fit you well, nothing fits you well. If you love accessorizing, no accessories, That's where I'm going. Would you still feel like yourself? Do you think you could do that every single day? Go to your regular environment, do you know, make your regular friends and still feel like you can show up in the world as yourself paddles up? If you could, that's one paddle for through me. We got two, three, four? Is that is that our boot down made? All right? We got six seven, So maybe like six percent of our audience could do that, Which is a fascinating conversation because like, I think there is a lot of merit in getting to choose how you express yourself. But maybe I kind of wonder the more that we do it become really attached to this level of expression that without it were like wait a second, Like now I have to fill in the gaps with my personality. I've got to fill in the gaps with what I believe. I've got to fill in the gaps of you know, how I can how I can shop for myself without all this stuff telling you that I'm like hot and sexy.
Speaker 1: Hi bag, I like your hat, be nice anyway.
Speaker 2: I could talk about that forever, but we actually don't have time, So thank you for humoring us. Love you, baby cat. Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms, you've been listening to the Flex and Frooms catch up podcasts recorded live at the Island in Sydney. For more Flex and Frooms, tune ins Cato on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.