Speaker 1: Pickup with Laura, come on in, Hello Lady Hallo.
Speaker 2: But afternoon Monday.
Speaker 3: Hay Monday. How is everyone's a weekend? Did we go see Barbie?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't get to the cinema. I think we were.
Speaker 4: Britta and I are the only people in Australia who didn't go to the World My God.
Speaker 3: Well I went and saw Barbie and it's how I imagine the Titanic mania was like in the nineties.
Speaker 5: I really want to see it. It is high on the list, but I'd rather just like let it die down for a week or two and then go, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, here's my hot hot take review.
Speaker 3: If you're thinking of taking the kids, like you know they do mums and bub sessions throughout the week, go but be prepared to talk to your child about life and death because it gets so existential.
Speaker 4: I don't think Barbie's a movie like even though obviously Barbie is for I don't think the movies aimed at kids.
Speaker 2: From what I read, what did you think I liked?
Speaker 1: I'm giving it a six out of ten.
Speaker 5: The hype that's been going around the world for the last six months about this movie, I would have thought you'd given it an eight or nine. It's like the scores Laura Gone Dance, Tom Star.
Speaker 4: It's not good as six, maybe just above average, but he's particularly bad.
Speaker 3: I didn't love it. I cried twice, and yeah, it's six out of ten. I stand by it. Once you watch it, you'll get it. It'll make sense.
Speaker 5: Okay, So did you go and see Oppenheimer as well? Because I feel like you can't see one without the other.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: That doesn't interest me at all. I'm more of a Barbie bon in the atomic Hiroshima isn't exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean that really shouldn't surprise anyone, should it?
Speaker 4: Would?
Speaker 2: You know who we have joining us today on the show, Barbi.
Speaker 4: No, it's not Barbie, but it is the King of Dancing with the Stars, Elvis is.
Speaker 2: No, we had Phil Burton joining us. He was the winner, and you know.
Speaker 4: What, it was so awesome to watch it all play out last night. He's gonna be joining us telling us how he feels. We love feeling that we do. He's a friend of the show man.
Speaker 3: At the moment.
Speaker 1: Such a sweet and he'll bring it.
Speaker 2: Do they get a crown extraordinary?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: But he got a mirror ball.
Speaker 3: Oh, great, Well, he'll be he and his mirror ball will be in. Philburton joins us next. Plus we're still doing it all week. Taylor Swift's air As World Tour is coming to Australia and we have all your free Taylor tickets coming up very soon. Thanks to Chemists Warehouse head in today. Great savings every day. It is the pick up Monday afternoon with Britain. Laura and Mitch rush into Chemist Warehouse today for half price off the Bio Gland Vitamins range. It excludes bolk sizes. Chemist Warehouse, Great savings every day, Laura.
Speaker 1: We wish it were you.
Speaker 3: But last night on Channel seven we had the finale of Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 4: Well and when they say let the best man win, he surely did. We have him here King of Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 2: It's philbery Fell.
Speaker 4: Well done.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys, thank you, thank you for having me on the show again and thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Show us your ball. He's got the mirror ball. Wow, it's big.
Speaker 2: It's bigger than your head.
Speaker 1: Pretty close, it's getting there.
Speaker 3: You were here at the start of the season and I had a feeling you did well.
Speaker 1: But to win it I mean, was there a little bit of you that was shocked?
Speaker 6: Oh, completely shocked. I did know that it was going to be either myself or Emily that was going to win it, but we didn't know which one of us was going to win, and had absolutely no idea. So I'd convinced myself all day before watching the finale that Emily was going to be the winner. But one of the great things was that a bunch of us were actually together watching the show last night, so a bunch of the cast were there watching, So Emily and I were literally arms around each other watching the result together, and no matter which name they ran, no matter which name they read out, it was always just going to be a really amazing moment.
Speaker 5: So do you think your your diva antiques are going to increase now? Like human nature is one thing, but now you've got the mirror ball, You're going to ask for a whole lot more in the dressing rooms, Like you've already taken a toilet break in this chat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, completely, I'm solo dressing room from now on. I get my own room, I get my own rider.
Speaker 2: And only agreed Eminem, I don't talk.
Speaker 6: To anyone else any more. I just I take the stage off by myself.
Speaker 3: I wish you could see film now. He's on zoom and he will not look the webcam in the eye. He doesn't want to look at us.
Speaker 2: It's discussed and he prouettes in and out of every meeting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's still in a sequence one piece suit. It's bizarre.
Speaker 4: Phil you and Ashley, you were truly magical to watch. It was such a it was so so beautiful and something else. When we had our rap party and our rap drinks, you said that doing Dancing with the Stars felt life changing to you, and and you're really sentimental about what an important experience it was for you. Why has this been such an important thing for you?
Speaker 6: I think mainly you know, amongst performers and a lot of artists and creative people, they have this thing called imposter syndrome, where basically you have this feeling that you're a bit of a fraud and you're not good enough to do your job, and that at some point someone is going to tell you that. I think one thing with doing Dancing with the Stars is that eliminated that feeling a lot for me, and it gave me so much more confidence in myself and I think that is the life changing thing that I was talking about is knowing that anything that I go into in the future, I'm gonna have this level of confidence knowing, look, I've done something that I never thought i'd be able to do, and I've done it well. I can take that feeling into the next thing and just go into it with confidence. And I think now that you've done it and you did it successfully.
Speaker 2: Well, some of us more successful, but you can look.
Speaker 6: Back with pride at what you did and know that in the future, if you have to take on some other challenge, you're going to be able to give it a red hot go and you can do it with confidence.
Speaker 5: Well, it must be good to know, like you probably always wanted if you can hip thrust on your own, and now you know you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can.
Speaker 6: I can hip thrust like no one.
Speaker 2: And that it's a great hip thrust.
Speaker 3: My dream of the day, Philbert, when you and your mirror ball you go, you shimmy off to the sunset.
Speaker 1: We love you, buddy, We love you Phil.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys. I love you guys too.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, happily, can we all say for the very last time, we love you Phil it's Stambay. Next on the pickup are your chance at a full row of tickets to see Taylor Swift live The Era's World too.
Speaker 1: It's in minutes.
Speaker 3: It's the Pickup Monday Afternoon with Britt, Laura and Mitch. Rush into chemist Warehouse today for half price off the Bioglan Vitamins range. It excludes bulk items Chemists ware House Great savings every day.
Speaker 5: I wanted to talk to you guys about something that is absolutely divide in the Internet right now. It's what's happening in Malaysia with the band nineteen seventy five. You know Matt Heely, he was dating Taylor Swift recently. So there's the Good Vibes Music Festival that's happening over there, I should say was happening over there. Matt Healy from nineteen seventy five got on stage and had this realization when he got there that homosexuality is actually illegal in Malaysia, so he didn't know that when he booked this gig. He gets on stage and he makes this really big political statement. He starts to make out with his bass player Ross McDonald. This is a big political statement to say, I know homosexuality here is illegal and this is a bit of a like stuff you moment. I want you to hear what he said right before the kiss me when we were booking shows, I wasn't looking into it.
Speaker 1: And then I do not see the point inviting to a country and then telling us who we can have sex with.
Speaker 5: And I'm sorry if that offends you and you're religious. So then he makes this statement. Then they start making out on stage, and this isn't like a little peck on the cheek, a peck on the lips. This is a twenty second makeout like you're in the movie session make out. And then after the makeout he says this, all right, we gotta go.
Speaker 1: We just got bang from Quala. Okay. I mean, I think that's iconic behavior, that's fantastic.
Speaker 5: So they make the statement make out. Then they've literally I'm assuming they run off stage, get on a private get and get out of there because it is punishable. And I don't think Malaysia would care that this is a famous band or a famous artist. I think they probably would have taken this into the hands. They can probably never go back to Malaysia again. The music festival was then completely canceled, the rest of the festival was done, and it is dividing the internet for two reasons. One half of people are saying, good on you for making a stand, because this is crazy that this is still illegal in these countries. And the other half is saying, well, should you have done that? What good has come from that? What's going to happen to the rest of the people in Malaysia. What's going to happen to homoseexuals in Malaysia right now? Are they going to be punished for this? What do you think, Mitch, being in the queer community, when you look at this from the safety of Australia, what do you think, Well, on.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gay and I can only kiss someone for thirty five seconds on the pub on the main street here in Australia, and that they'd celebrate me.
Speaker 1: They've pop confetti, cannons.
Speaker 2: No one's going to put you in prison.
Speaker 3: No one's going to in prison me. I think the important thing here is to actually note the facts of how just how bad the anti LGBTQAA plus laws are in Malaysia. It's illegal, homosexuality is illegal in Malaysia, and they actually have laws that they practice that criminalize it. They branded as sodomy and it's punishable by imprisonment, and they practice it, which is very different to having those laws and turning a blind and exactly they punish it.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty three, Malaysia was ranked the second worst country in the world for transgender rhymes.
Speaker 1: It's awful.
Speaker 3: So my point there is that, yes, this is right, This is a good thing to do, because all it is is putting a microscope on a really big issue in this country.
Speaker 1: We're talking about it, it's bringing attention to it.
Speaker 3: My worry is this famous, really handsome, famous man gets to kiss a guy on stage, get on his private jet, have a Pepsi max and zooed off.
Speaker 2: That's my thought on this.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what then, Because there's obviously no long term implications to Matt Healey. He's never going to go back to Kuala Lumpur again. He makes a political statement, he's getting a lot of press off the back of it. Everyone's like, oh, you're a gay icon, you're a hero.
Speaker 2: But then what does it do for the actual people who live in Kuala Lumpur?
Speaker 4: And I think not only that, who are the people that then suffer. Is it the event organizers because the event's completely canceled? Is it all the people there who paid tickets? Like, does it actually make an impact on a government level or does it just impact the actual citizens and people more so?
Speaker 1: I think that's a fine sacrifice to pay.
Speaker 3: I think people not going to music festival is fine for the horrific standards of gay people in Malaysia to be spoken about.
Speaker 5: I agree, and I do think that while maybe nothing directly happens next week off the back of this, the fact that the world is talking about it is baby steps for them in the right direction. And I think, yeah, losing I would happily lose the price i'd paid for a ticket to go to a music festival if I knew it was going to help people in a quick community.
Speaker 3: Well, the anger that he's being put towards Matt Healey, it doesn't make sense to me that anger should go towards the Malaysian government.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: Don't be protesting Matt Heeley's British flat. Go to the front steps of the Malaysian government and go we demand change, because that's the real issue here. It's not a British guy kissing a bloke on stage grow up totally.
Speaker 2: I totally agree.
Speaker 4: I think the thing that's being missed though, is the fact that it is a country where sixty four percent of people are Islamic, so the majority of the population, their religious beliefs are going to be in contrary to what the rest of the world is thinking and feeling.
Speaker 5: But a lot of Islaming people are gay one percent. The reason that they're not out is because they go to prison.
Speaker 3: So also, can I just say, like time and time again, throughout history, social change has been brought on by moments like this. Social change doesn't happen in political boardrooms. It never has, never will. So you have to have these moments for actual change to happen. And today I'm announcing I'm running for Prime minister.
Speaker 1: Wow, sorry for president President? Where that come from? A president in Australia, in Malaysia?
Speaker 2: Qual We can't wait to see it?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right?
Speaker 3: Next on the show, we got a five hundred dollars chemist sware House gift card. It's a biggie up for grabs if you want that, we'll do it. Next on The Pickup Hates the pick Up Monday Afternoon, we've Laura and Mitchire. Thanks to Chemist Warehouse heading today, you'll get half priced off the Biogland Vitamins range. It excludes bulk sizes. Chemist swear House great savings every day.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: If there's ever a time in life where you want to feel like you can rely on your partner, like you can trust in them and they're going to be there for you and have your back, it's during childbirth. That is probably the one moment in life where you're like, do you know what? I really hope that they come through with the goods. And usually by the time you've gotten to that point in a relationship, you know whether they're going to be okay or not okay.
Speaker 2: You've done a few birth in classes, you know you would have.
Speaker 3: A baby in yourself hopefully if you didn't think this person haud guide you through it.
Speaker 2: It is relatively decent.
Speaker 4: Well, there was a woman on TikTok recently and she shared a list of all the very questionable things her husband did when she went into labor and then ultimately brought their baby child.
Speaker 2: Into the world.
Speaker 4: Not only is it a list, she's also like itemized it by time because there was just so many of them, right let's kick it off.
Speaker 2: Have a listen to this six pm.
Speaker 7: I want to brook at two pm. Six pm things are happening, and he asked me what was for dinner, Like, I'm a little busy, dilating.
Speaker 1: I can't fire up the hide on some men to think that she'll still have a roast chick in the oven.
Speaker 4: Also uber eats, like you can take care of yourself, Pal, I'm trying to do my like my deep breathing right now.
Speaker 2: I don't cook when I'm not giving birth, So fat chance when I'm baby coming out.
Speaker 1: For men bashing, But odd bash that man with my words, because that is how stupid you can prove your wife isn't your mother. Sorry, that's that's stupid.
Speaker 2: Oh it gets worse. Michturi five am.
Speaker 7: So he's been like taking pictures the whole time and sending them to my family and like keeping them update what's going on. But later I look at these photos, I'm titso like just boo boobies, booby setting for my boobies to my dad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like sending updates throughout the course of the duration of the birth to the family group, chat of everything.
Speaker 1: She's done, but not the.
Speaker 4: Titties, but like she yeah, he's just sending them without thinking that maybe maybe she wants some privacy, maybe there's a reason why her entire family aren't in the room with her during labor.
Speaker 7: And finally eight am, Yes, that was only the hospital for eight hours.
Speaker 2: I was crazy.
Speaker 7: So it was time to go and they were kind of like, can you need something before you leave? And I was like, oh, I have a protein bar in my in my bag, so grabbed the protein bo and he's like, can we split that. I'm hungry?
Speaker 1: Is that top?
Speaker 2: It is that post birth? Would you? Yeah? Post birth?
Speaker 5: So she's gone in given hang on what she's gone and given birth and then left in eight hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean some people do that.
Speaker 1: She's a woman.
Speaker 2: I left.
Speaker 5: I left four hours after How to put the dinner on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had to go onto a load of washing, wash the floorboards. Okay.
Speaker 4: My thing is, after you have gone through labor and you've given birth, you are so hungry. You are so thirsty, You're so insatiably hungry. And he was prioritizing himself give the woman her damn protein.
Speaker 1: Well, but he didn't get.
Speaker 5: To eat dinner because she didn't cook it in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's hungry.
Speaker 3: You've had kids, You've got two gorgeous kids with your husband, Matty Jay, how is he like during childbirth? Because he is such a sweet, considerate, empathetic man. I feel like he'd be the perfect partner.
Speaker 4: The reason why I found this list so funny was because so I went into I went to labor with Marley and we were induced, and Matt was hell bent on creating a TikTok about all the things you shouldn't say when your partner's in labor. But the thing was I was actually in labor, and he was making a TikTok about the things you shouldn't like, the irony in that whole thing. Anyway, this went on for eight hours, because I was in labor for eight hours, and then the doctor comes in and goes, you're ten centimeters dilated. I'm just going to go and get the nurses and everything because it's almost time to start pushing.
Speaker 2: Doctor leave's.
Speaker 4: Matt goes, Oh, I don't know how long it's going to take, but I'm really hungry, so I'm just going to go down to the cafe and get chicken sandwich. Leave what leaves where it goes downstairs. He go time and he got a chicken sandwich. But he made it back just in time, and he was very good the actual pushing.
Speaker 5: Let him go down.
Speaker 4: I think I was delirious by that point in time. I don't think I newly knew what was going on. Also, his mum was there with us in the room. No what, and she's amazing, so she was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was doing all that.
Speaker 3: Were you asked if it was okay if your mother in law was there while you were bald eagle.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I know that sounds very random, but no, it was wonderful having Ellie there because it also meant that whilst Matt got very hungry and needed many many food stops, there was someone there to fill in for him.
Speaker 2: Put it that way. He tagged him out with his mum. And then his mum was right.
Speaker 4: There and she she was down there at the business end, and he was up top at the party end.
Speaker 2: So he didn't want to see what was going on jumping on me.
Speaker 5: When I give birth, They're not leaving my side.
Speaker 2: They are there.
Speaker 5: They'll be feeding me, they'll be watering me, they do whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And then the doctor came over and they said Matt do the honors. Cut the umbilical cord, and he goes, nah, I'm right, And I was like, I'm sorry, no, cut your child's ubilical cord.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh, no, I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: It'll make me vomit. And I was like, this will make you vomit.
Speaker 1: Why just push it out?
Speaker 2: The least you can do is cut the umbillical cord.
Speaker 3: I'm done from the waist down. Oh funny, all right, we got five hundred bucks at Chemists Warehouse to go and spend up a storm at Chemists Warehouse. And if you've got a similar story, what did your hubby do during labor?
Speaker 2: What did your partner do? It's not always hubbies, just your partner'd be terrible.
Speaker 1: I'm gay. I don't know what I'm going on about.
Speaker 2: Like I'm not man bashing here, but you're like, it's only the men.
Speaker 3: Aren't either woke one I don't know. Head to the pickup dot com dot a you will give the best one five hundred bucks a chemist whare house. Now, podcasters, if you missed the show today, if you've just tuned in, you've got a whole big show to go. Listen to iHeartRadio, search the pickup and when cold and flu strikes, Demeson gets it done.
Speaker 1: Always follow the directions for use.
Speaker 5: We got Will and Woody driving your home today. What's on the show boys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this afternoon, the return of Rude jud and of course another whole row of Taylor Swift tickets to give away right up next.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a good one, Seeli, guys, Tomorrow May