Speaker 1: What do you think is the right etiquette when you receive a gift you don't like.
Speaker 2: For me, if you're receiving a gift that you don't like, I think you just need to And this is the worst part of it, right, like everyone's doing it every day, especially at this time that you're in Christmas, right like you're at the shopping set you run into fifteen people you know you met twice in high school, never spoke to, and all of a sudden you're best friends standing outside tyger wondering how the how you're not there. Everyone has practiced in their lifetime this moment that fakes smile, the elevation of the eyebrows, and that real like, oh my god, here it is. This is the thing I didn't want, so here it is now that you start do that.
Speaker 1: We're thrilled to have Sam Mangan joining us as a guest on today's episode of A Very Outspoken Christmas. Sam is the founder and CEO of a range of brands and companies, including Spin and Co, James Cosmetics, and the Spin Studio. Sam also doesn't shy away from the spotlight himself. With over one hundred thousand followers on Instagram, thanks to his hilarious rants. Now Sam is a man after our own, as he is not only incredibly smart and hilarious, but loves Christmas just as much as we do. Now, Sam, when we think of Christmas, we must admit we immediately think of you. What is it that you love most about Christmas?
Speaker 2: Well, that's very kind of you to say, thank you very much. And if there's any which way I wish to remember, that's probably it. What is it for me? It's the spirit. And I know that probably sounds super super cheesy, but you know, every year, and I discussed this extensively last year, but every year around Christmas there's a group of people. I actually saw an article yesterday that came out that started talking about, you know, why you can make this Christmas, you know, a positive experience and why it can be a good time of year, as if there was some assumption that it isn't. And it drives me nuts because I find that, sure, there's always going to be times when there are people who, you know, it can be tough. You may not be around family, especially with COVID and whatnot, or you've lost someone close to you, or there's all those things. But I'm very much the believer of you sort of you make of something what you want to make of it, and Christmas gives you all the opportunities more than any other time of year to be positive. The spirit in general is just electric. I mean, people talk about this pressure to buy gifts, etc. And I think, yes, but it's this giving concept that even exists at this time of year that we all want to give something to someone else. Some people go too far and it turns into a competition too expensive or to this. But I think that it's just this opportunity right to because for me, when you even think about how long ANSWRAVI to your question. For me, when you think about the end of the year, right, like the end of a calendar year, that doesn't mean anything, right, Like I'm sure that someone had disagreed with the mayans or whoever's come up with it. But the concept of an end of the year right is somewhat irrelevant. We could just continue on with and not repeat. It could just be never ending, you know whatever. But the idea of coming to the end of the year having the opportunity to reset, ending it on this positive note where it's all about sort of celebration. It's all about you know, being around people that you choose and want to be around, taking a break for yourself, thinking back, being thankful. I mean, what a phenomenal way to sort of end the year without even it's not even been constructed per se. It just has come together that way that the end of the year, we all sort of sit around and whether that be getting together to celebrate or giving a gift to someone, but we leave the workplace in most situations and you know, you sort of had that little bit of a mini reset. And it's funny, there's no other time of year, in my opinion, where that kind of week between say Christmas in stead of New Years, most people don't get that much time off, like it could be six days or something like that. And yet for some reason, that six days feels like no other six days if you you've taken the middle of the year, if you six days off in June, it wouldn't feel like those six days. And so I think it's just a general spirit around. But you have to really, I think, want that spirit to be positive because there's a lot of people coming after it in recent years about you know, it's a tough time of years. I hate that drives me nuts.
Speaker 1: I could not agree more because I feel like whenever the carols pop up in the Karen's God, no I'm talking Christmas carols, not Christmas Karens. Whenever the carols or the songs pop up in the in store, Yeah, you just hear people complaining about, Oh, it's too early, it's too early. What do you think is too early? Because when you put your Christmas tree up in early November, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do. Look, I think it's too early for those people to be speaking in public. That's why I think is actually too early. When you really look at the situation, it's there's always going to be something too early. The Hot Cross buns are out too early, the chocolate Easter eggs are out too early. Everything's too early. Some people celebrate their birthdays over a whole month. Some people it's a week, some people it's a day. I think, make your own decision. Personally, there is no greater home accessory than a well decorated Christmas tree. Note well decorated, and I think that that for me, I would like it up for the maximum period of time because I think when I come home at the end of the day. You know, you're walking from my front door, you look straight down and you can see the Christmas tree. That to me is just happiness, just embodied right there in the house. But also logistically speaking, I'm not putting a tree up for two weeks. Maybe some of them will just slap together some old thing and put on some hideous decorations. Mine is a construction. It's not as easy as just throwing it up and then to two weeks and then it comes back down. That's absurd.
Speaker 1: Oh, I could not agree more because at work they tasked me and a couple of girls with putting a Christmas tree up, and you would honestly think would I am embarrassed to be working with this Christmas tree. I've seen the amazing decorations you have up in your office, and one of the girls in my office decided to buy a ten dollar Christmas tree from Big w and then has decorated it with the most hideous decorations. They're like, think multi colored, think tinsel, garish, and I'm ashamed to work there. I'm actually working from two weeks from home at the moment, so I can't see the tree. It's disgusting.
Speaker 2: The tree smart move. Look, the tree issue is consteeply rooted in my life. But the problem I have with the tree is that and this is the same when you see people who dress hideously and then people go, well, not everyone can afford to dress nicely. It isn't a financial thing. It's a taste thing. Style and taste aren't necessarily linked to financials right now. Sure some trees might cost more, that's the case. But I tell you what, I would be willing to go head to head with anyone if I was having to construct a tree from Big w K Mart, Target, any of these places and still have a CHEK moment delivered. I think it's absurd to try and to And this is the problem, right, people get carried away. It's all about Oh, it's not spending too much money, it's about this, is about that. No, it's about a bit of innovation. Nothing's changed, you know what I mean. It's the same pottle winging about do I hate my job? This? That, and now they get a new job. If you really want to make it work, you can make it work. It's really just maybe you don't have the style or inclination to make something look nice and maybe you need to look inward before you start accusing it of being because it's great issues.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, my boyfriend suggested that we get a Kma tree because to be fair, he's actually allergic to pine. And just for a bit of a backstory, Amy, Sophie and I have always had a real Christmas tree. It's just been a tradition. We love going to the Christmas tree farm and picking it up. So, I mean, we've been together for a couple of years now, and to be honest, I told him to suck it up with the real tree because that's my tradition. So we have had the real tree and then suddenly he pulls it on me this year on I think we should get a fake one, and I'm like, there's no way because Bowsam Hill will not deliver in time. I feel like the only fake tree you can get, and I've been inspired by yourself and your sister Courtney is Bowsam Hill, and I just think, Kamar, I'm sorry, it's just not good enough. I'm not having it in my house. So we're going with a real tree, but we have to wait until early December to get it, so I feel like it's not so Christmasy in my home at the moment, which is a little bit disappointing.
Speaker 2: Look, it's a tough one. I mean for me, I'm very otten it. So we have a substantial change in the house, not just the tree, it's the center pieces on the tables, it's you know, I have a forever Share display. It's a whole moment in my house. There's a whole series of other things that they change over as well. So maybe i'd encourage you to find the other pieces that can temporarily change before the main event arrives. But certainly Bolst have had some amazing trees. I literally just got hit with an ad on Instagram just before I joined the school. They're apparently fifty percent off to Black Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not receiving commission, but here i am, and so I mean that's a good deal. But surely, and what will be the twenty fourth of November. Surely they've got some sort of system going on to move things fast. They're surely not selling trees now that aren't going to make it for Christmas. I mean to make it for early descend be probably not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just scared because you know how like on the news that always going on about Australia Post can't get anything right and everything's delayed. So I kind of just panicked and I've locked in the real tree this year, but I think maybe I'll check out about some hill one next year, a real tree.
Speaker 2: That was such a vibe. I've never had an old tree, but that is such a vibe. I'm right into that. But certainly in terms of guarantee that every year you pull the tree out, you know it's needing that standard balsam are really are really On top of that, I have a bolt house and a boltan tree here at the office that one of the officers just over three meters tall, and you know, you pack it away, you pull it out, and every year it's just still incredible. So I mean that's and also not having to do the lights is a huge Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you run us through some Christmas decorating do's and don'ts, because I feel like the people need to know, people need to be educated by you.
Speaker 2: I think let's not get too complicated, right, just stick to classic colors. I'm not really and I blame not individuals but big corporations here. Every year I walk into some of the big stores and you see the same thing, and it's this blues and maroons, and I'm thinking, what happened to the marone? Was it a bad dime? It meant to go red? But now you're trying to go with that vibe? Was Target this year that had the Marone in? I don't understand. Why must we go with all these ghost colors. Just stick with your classic reds. Your silver's your golds, not rose gold. For me, that's done. But I'll accept it. You know, it's just not that difficult. Don't try and wrap tinsel on your tree or wrap ribbon on your tree if you don't know how to do it. If you want to watch something online, you can't just throw a bit of ribbon in a tree and hope for the band. It's a fine art. And also make sure that you fluff the tree. That's got to be step one. Bar Too many people pull the tree out of the bag and put it up and then hang decorations and you could literally fire a gun. I mean, you could throw a cat through the middle of some of these trees I'm seeing on Instagram. It's just ridiculous. You need to fluff the tree. And your tiny bosse actually comes with gloves because they know it's not easy work.
Speaker 1: M yes, yes, And we laughed so much when Sof's tree arrived with the gloves. It's amazing. Now you often talk about the typical Karen, and I'd love to hear how you think a typical Karen celebrates Christmas and how she would decorate her tree.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a tough one, I mean. And here is the thing right I have. As you know from my content, I have a general anti Karen approach to my year. Christmas is the one time of yew where Karen can at times be given a lighter sentence fuel from me, because I feel like it is the time of you to be happy and joyful. What I will say about Karen is that she's most definitely ordering in advance at the local Woolworths, Coals or most likely Albi. She's for sure making that she's got everything pre prepared because she's not getting involved in that Christmas with the cranks running for the last hand moment, So that's for sure. But I think that she's doing a very simple Christmas delivery. It's I'm not going above and beyond, I'm delivering the Christmas lunch as is, don't be ridiculous to be over the top. It's what it is. It's what you'll get, and you'll smile about it. She's not thrilled about seeing things early in the shopping sentence, but she's not outwardly too mad about it. But if she's asked, she's got a lot to say about it. That's how I feel like and approaching things at Christmas.
Speaker 1: I love that. And can I just say I have a new suggestion. I don't know if you've spoken about a Margaret, but I've got a Margaret that I live next door to. She's a bit of a Karen, but she's she's more like an older yeah, and older Karen, right, yeah, so she's maybe I'll have to explain more, maybe at another stage, but I definitely think the name Margaret should be added into your collection of names. I think definitely.
Speaker 2: Well for me. Cheryl is my older demographic, Karen is slightly younger. Let's younger, slightly younger. But what I will say is very dangerous and fine line. There are some places where I just dare not go even with my content. My mum's name is Margaret.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have to be very.
Speaker 2: Careful at times. Yeah, but what I will say is this, if she's wrongly done by, no one will get the manager faster than Oh. That's just well, that's where I get it from. Unfortunately, though, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun shopping with your mom as an adult. I just love how my mom doesn't care asking all these questions that I would never ask, or challenging them on things which I really should. And I always laugh because there seems to be this lack of awareness, like Mom doesn't seem to know that the shop assistant is annoyed about it or feel awkward. And I can't wait to be at that age where I just don't care.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's almost certainly with my mum. It's not even the lack of awareness as much as it is this is it, And that's where I get it from. This It's like I can't help you. It's just the truth of the matter. I'm not being rude on stating fact. If you don't like and I'm not sure I can assist. And I'll give you a great example, which is where I get it from. You know, when you go to McDonald's, right, because I'm obviously health but you know, occasionally and when you when I go, and then you know, you get to the front and they've got the senses everywhere. Now every McDonald and people know this, but every McDonald's has sense. It's the time that you spend in the drive through at each window is actually timed. And if you don't get the cars out of the law within certain KPIs that they have from head office head office, nos, and you get rated and there's a whole system, so you should be moving things through quickly. The problem with that is that the waiting bays fall outside of those senses. So rather than delivering fast service, which I assume is the point of why they have these sensors in place, they just get you to go and park to get you out of the way, and that way you're off the censor and you're not slowing them down. You're not affecting a KPI. Now, my mum just says no. So she'll get to the end and they'll say, oh, we need just another sixty seconds on fries, would you park? Your says no. And so I've now begun doing that in very select circumstances. For example, if it's a simple operation, if I when I order one hundred dollars worth of something of a Donald's. Dear Lord, then I can imagine why I'm being parked. But if I go up and order a cheese birth they were waiting on cheeseburgers. I'm sorry. If you weren't prepared for someone to come to this window asking for a cheeseburger, then you have got the business wrong. So no, I won't be moving because somebody is just setting a message to the McDonald's head office that these poor stores are being forced to fire people out into the parking days because they have to meet these standards they can't meet and they can't imagine. You know, Christie hyphen Lee were their first job at the windows pulling head office and going, you know, we can't get everyone through in time. I don't think that's happening, So I'm taking a stand. That's my Cheryl move for the week.
Speaker 1: I love that. On the topic of McDonald's, have you noticed though, that in the UK they have their amazing Christmas themed menu and here in Australia we don't seem to have that. I don't know whether it's just South Australia, but I'm really disappointed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have anything Christmas adjacent for the Generald's here that I'm aware of. I've been there in a while, but I don't believe certainly if they do, they're not advertising it, which is disappointing. But yeah, I don't know. It seems like we're not really as a corporation, as a country of corporations, we don't really seem to push it. Being a shore pill put some decorations up, but you know, we're like in America, Starbucks is the famed Christmas cup and the famed Christmas menu and things. We don't really have a culture much of that in Australia, now that I'm thinking about it. In a lot of places, no one's really apart from again putting a tree up, you don't seem a lot of companies or organizations really having anything iconic at this time of year. But I will say that in America, I think that the holiday season is better represented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Now you spoke, sud We touched a bit on retail workers, and you have been quite outspoken in the past about the etiquette of retail workers at Christmas time. For those who might be working in retail and listening, what is the correct way to greet and deal with the customer at Christmas time.
Speaker 2: So I do think that it depends on the store that you're in, right, But I think it's Hi, how are you welcome in? If there's anything you need to let me know and then just fuck off. But I also think when I walk in, do not pull your phone out. I don't want to walk and see you on your phone. I don't want to be an inconvenience. Don't protect like, don't work here. You know what I mean? You know I've said this before, but it's I guess different because COVID times it's hard to find stuff. But I don't understand where people approach their jobs with such contempt. That makes no sense to me. Right, like people who are like, I'm better than working behind the till. Firstly, you're not, because you're working behind the till. But secondly, the only way to go from the till to anywhere else is to do this job good. If you can't do this job, why can you do any other job? I don't I've never understood that whole concept. It's is if people think that you're born as CEO, or you're born as you know, regional manager or whatever title you're looking for. I don't get that. But I'm also not into and this company is so bad for a Kiki k oh my lord, you going there and it's like you can't get rid of them. They're like that friend you never wanted. And it's just like, but have you seen the pens? Because I've seen the pens. I've seen them at Ali Barba where you purchased them forty cents and now they're four hundred dollars. I don't want the pen. I'm already been ripped off in the diary department. Please leave me alone.
Speaker 1: And do you do you expect them to say Merry Christmas to you? Do you think that's something they should up?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's absolutely critical, But we're also going through that whole PC trash that I can't stand in the world where it's like happy Holidays. Sorry, what the fuck is that? I don't understand what holidays you're referring to. It's Christmas time and it will soon be Happy New Year. Pick a show like I can't be involved, and I think we should be really end of November all the way through, they should be Merry Christmas. Where is that offensive? If someone they're doing a shop happy Honaker. I just wouldn't be like, how dare you? Why do I care? Happy Russia, Shhan fabulous, have a great day. I don't know what that is, but I'm happy for you. There's not enough celebration.
Speaker 1: Oh, I completely agree. Now, every year we have our annual Christmas white party, and we thought our party was pretty cool until we saw your annual Christmas party with your friends and we kind of thought shit, ours is a little bit embarrassing. But those who haven't seen it on your Instagram, can you fill our listeners in on what you did last year and maybe give us a sneak peek into what you've got planned this year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I've always kind of envy the Kardashian Jenna known for party, right, like, every year Chris is known for that, Chris but passed it on. But it used to be Chrismas known for the Christmas Eve party. Now, personally, I think a Christmas Eve party is absolutely ridiculous, right, Like, who wants to be out on Christmas Eve? I don't think that's a real thing. And I feel like that time of year and have like a really good night. The last things we hung over on Christmas morning. That's not for me, so and you know that being my sort of big season, I kind of love it. I would like to get into Halloween a bit more, but my problem is that it's too close to Christmas and so it just it's too much. But for me, that was kind of a party that sort of slowly grews. I originally threw a dinner party for my friends four years ago called friend Mess, and it was a seated dinner party. I have all my furniture removed from the house. I had a big long table put in. It's a catered event, you know, beautiful. And then the next year it was kind of like I can't take that many people in my house, Like it's getting ridiculous. So then we move to just like a stated party, same thing though I have all the furniture removed from my house. I have all new festive furniture put in. I have a photo moment installed every year, which is usually something floral, you know, a new bar, I have staff, the whole set of bits. So it's a big night to me. I love it because it's a it's at home, and I feel like the house party dies after you kind of leave, sort of like high schooling times. It's a couple of people over for a drink. But there's something to be said about a house party in that everyone feels super comfortable. It's a safe space. You control the music, you controls it of all the bits and pieces. So yeah, every year we've got a selection cocktail list, which is usually inspired by whatever I'm drinking that year. It's all custom menus, it's custom invites, it's a whole moment. Last year I had like a Garden of Eden moment, put in this huge, big arch with all reds and greeneries all throughout, which is pretty cool. This year it's going to be a bit more of a So here's the issue, right, God, this is getting real deep at the Christmas. Here is my problem. My tree in my house is currently themed a classic Christmas, so I think tartans and again golds and reds and green, et cetera. And so it makes it hard to go too far outside that realm with a different theme. Whereas next year, I think it's a good chance we'll be resetting all of the decorations and going for a different type. But I'm looking to see if a friend has to do something a little bit more winter inspired. So that's what I'm currently working for, inventing people on at the moment.
Speaker 1: That sounds amazing and is there is there a bit of a strict criteria of who is allowed to come to your party because it sounds fabulous and I'm sure you don't want sort of Christmas haters there are you trying to get in? Amy?
Speaker 2: I love it. Yeah, it's a very It's a contentious guest list every year for me. So the event is friendness, in which it is my close friends. We don't invite. It's not a client event. It's not all my staff at the office event. It's not even a lot of my family don't attend. So Courtney is there obviously, but it's the whole purpose of the event was that I designed it around it's my close friends having a great night because I find the older that you get, the harder it is to nail down to be friends. There's kids, there's other engagements in both there's so much going on that I didn't want another night where you bring everyone in it kind of and you guys would know right if you start opening up invites, it starts ballooning and all of a sudden, you don't get to see some of those people. That was the whole purpose of the event. So we keep it very tight at the guest list and we go right over the top for the number of people there I can confirm. But that's kind of why I want to keep it in the house. I like it just being my media friends because then you just have such a good night and it's kind of like literally once a year where I can get that volume of my closest people all in one room. People will fly in from Melbourne or Sydney or if they are for it, and so it's always a nice whereas I always find some times you end up at you know, so many Christmas parties get thrown this time of year, and you go to some of them and you're looking around, like, who are you? Like? You know what I mean, I don't want second tier friends there. I don't want third tier friends, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, yeah, and you don't want a baby.
Speaker 2: I gonna invite that one. Yeah, you don't want the babysitting, you don't want Yeah, it's a no from me, which is the same reason for my company Christmas party. I ban partners.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's a good idea. I mean, let's be honest. I feel like some weddings should do that too, because you know, when you're having to like Kate's organizing a wedding at the moment, and you know, you start to really consider who your close friends are when you've got to pay per head and you're like, oh, I don't really know their partner at.
Speaker 2: All one hundred percent will yeah, for the company Christmas party. I'm real particular and I don't like any partners I own included, just purely because I find it's way too difficult and takes away from the point of the whole team having a great night together. Rather than you sitting with your partner explaining every inside joke you're introducing them to. I hate that. I'd rather just you know, you can see your partner the whole of Christmas. For our company night, we have no partners, and.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest, your partner doesn't really want to go. Like my partner's trying to get out of my staff Christmas party, and I don't blame him, Like you know, it's sometimes awkward and it just goes on and as you said, the inside jokes and yeah, it just doesn't work.
Speaker 2: It's very very hard. I mean, we do get a lot of water companies, We've got an open Bill's event, but we continue to unfortunately reject them.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're cool, we might jump into some of our social dilemmas because we think you would be able to provide some great help to our listeners on these Christmas related ones. So firstly, as you know, gift giving can be quite awkward. What do you think is the right etiquette when you receive a gift you don't like?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's always happiness, right Like, I'm never one to turn around and be like this is vile. What plan do you want? I have certainly received some gifts in the path that I've met that criteria, but for me, and I hate receiving gifts personally, I love giving a gift give out an outrageous number, but don't like receiving gifts, mostly because they just don't like people spending their money and you know what, noto on me, but for me, if you're receiving a gift that you don't like, I think you just need to And this is the worst part of it, right, Like everyone's doing it every day, especially at this time that you're in Christmas right like you're at the shopping ceting, you're run into fifteen people you know you met twice in high school, never spoke to, and all of a sudden you're best friends. Dandy outside target, wondering how the hell you got there. Everyone has practiced in their lifetime this moment, that fake smile, the elevation of the eyebrows, that real like, oh my god, here it is. This is the thing I didn't want, and here it is now to be stagulous, you know. And I think that's crucial because especially what I don't like around this time of the year is the people who go out and purchase too many gift cards. I'm not a gift card lover. If you've gone out on board gift cards, I'm not hugely on board with that. There are some people who just say that's what I prefer, and I'd rather be that. But I do find if it's more of your inner circle, that if someone has taken the time to go out and buy something, even though they've missed completely, it may just indicate to you that they don't really know you very well. Maybe next year they're not getting invite your friendness, But it's important to I think in that moment acknowledge the fact that they've gone out of their way, they've spent their own money, and they've got something. You can have the discussion later on in your own private time when you think that maybe it was a regift, but in the moment, I think you've got to, you know, get your acting abilities moving well.
Speaker 1: On the topic of regifting, what are your thoughts on that? Is it a big no?
Speaker 2: What are we regifting? Gifting? An example?
Speaker 1: Well, do you mean sort of like you've got a dad gift? What do you do with it? Because some people put it straight up on Facebook marketplace that's.
Speaker 2: Hideous at unacceptable and expelled. Can't be involved, have some decor and at least wait.
Speaker 1: I'm more talking about if you say, you get a candle or something and then you don't really need it or you're stressed, and then you end up regifting it to someone else. Do you think that's wrong?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it's wrong, but I would say, like, what is the reason for the regift?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, I've had people who've given me something before that I've already got one off and then I've on gifted that, But I do think it's important as to what tiers you're gifting, right, if you get from your immediate family or friends, what i'll call tier one. If you get a gift from tier one friends or family and then you gift it to someone else in tier one, you're a fucking idiot. I mean, you shouldn't be mixing tiers with a regift. I'd want to make sure there's sufficient separation between those groups. If I get something from tier two, it has to be going out to like tiers three, four or five, right like it needs to be going far. You need arms length, you need distance. Don't be getting something from your you know, your best friend and then giving it to one of your other friends. That's just a stupid mistake to make. But I think that for me, it's actually what were two years ago, maybe now, maybe not even that long. I can't remember. I bought a new set of cutlery from Mayer and turns out that the cutlery was a wedding gift because when I opened the box and had the wedding card inside, Yeah, not good. And what was funny was I just it was the greatest thing that's ever happened in my whole life because I imagine how much crap you get it. I'm not married, but I imagine you get so much crap, right, and like people just don't care, Like what's a wedding gift? Had bizarre so you're gonna get all sorts of weird stuff. So I have no issue with the fact that someone returned it. What was fabulous is that it's cutlery. It's been returned and it hasn't been checked over well enough on the return process to an end of my fucking card inside, Like come on anyway. So I thought that was fabulous, so I of course put it on my Instagram. Well, didn't we start a storm? I was on the news. The bribe came forward to me privately and was like, please pull it down as a whole moment.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is so awkward.
Speaker 2: I know it was a whole situation if you google it still online. And I was like, I mean, I was like, to calm down. It's a set of cutlery. They didn't buy you a bloody part or something. I mean, when you're kidneys. I mean, I don't think it was any when you look. Sorry, we didn't like the cutlery. I mean I'm not sure why there was fabulous, but you know, maybe you've got two sets or something. I really don't know, but you know, I think that whole idea of keeping two sets of cutlery is gone. I don't why woud anyone care. They were very sensitive about it, and I was like, do you guys need to calm down? How much if it all came to the waiting get to gin with.
Speaker 1: On the topic of family, do you think and I suppose for people who have a partner, will do you agree in splitting time evenly with you and your partner's family, like should it be fifty to fifty? And taking into account maybe people's partners families who don't do Christmas the way you would like it.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, if you're forced to go to your partner's family's house and they're you know, no concept of Christmas Grench vibes, and you don't want to be there. You don't want to have to spend adequate time there. Issue with your family is celebrating it correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should it be fifty to fifty then no.
Speaker 2: I don't buy anything anything it's fifty to fifty. Well, so, I mean it's very fear election. You're running fifty to fifty surely if it is, you're running it wrong. But I would say that probably No. I think it comes down to where do you want to You know there's a requirement, right, but you can't just refuse to go somewhere. But I don't think you need to be spending, you know, an obnoxious amount of time. If your partner wants to go fill your boots, happy to make an appearance, happy to do a drop in. It's very devil wors privor isn't it how it dropped me up at eight thirty and pick me up at eight forty five strong? I think it's fine to you need to go right, you've got to be in the right spirit and you've got to go and you've and I think that's the key, right, It's not about the length of time, it's about the quality of time. Make sure you go be the starring role and then lead. But you can't go sit in the corner and then be that sad person who's like, well, I didn't want to come here anyway for anyone. You go in, you compliment the awful cheese platter with that terrible sausage they use it. They don't know what they're doing. And then you know all the fact that out it's fabulous. Look at the tree that blew, that tear, that's just fabulous, and you know you're complimenting everything. Everyone's having a great day. I'm so terribly sorry. I didn't realize this was an afternoon thing. Otherwise I would have extended more time, but I can't stay otherwisese you become that person who sat in the corner and they're like, well, she's a rude bitch, you know, like plastic for a table runner, stunning, never thought of it. Good for you. But as I said, it is one of those times of years where you know, if you've got the ability to fake the present moment, you can fake a Christmas lunch. Really, I always I was joking a real close to me. It was joke that there's two SAMs. It's just normally and then there's pr Sam and you go to an event and it's just everything is more exciting and more vibrant than pr Dams at the event. You know, Oh domestic sparkling. I love that. Who drinks champagne? Oh how are you? You know, it's very over the top and that's Christmas to me. You've got to bring it because I also find if you are presenting yourself at a higher level in those situations, happy, more vibrant, it will turn true if you sit there and you're stand about it. It's not about faking it per se. But the more that you put into it, the more that you'll get out of it. And so I find in those situations there will always be and it's my challenge every time I get on it. But I don't like. My challenge is to find that the one thing that was done well, and if you can find it, you succeeded and you can go home happy.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic advice. Just lastly, we are mindful of your time. Sorry, but how will you be celebrating Christmas this year?
Speaker 2: So I don't actually know if we've got completely firm plans. So every year my family, my extended family alternates, so it's Christmas Day, it's Boxing Day because of the alternating family situation. You know, whether you spend Christmas with your partner's family or with your family, So we alternate it so that on our cousins and aunties and whatnot can also alternate with their families so this year it's Boxing dayd Our Broader Family Christmas, which I have a Boxing Day pop up for the cosmetic business that I'm will be involved in. I'll also I didn't do media last year. The team took it, so I'll take it this year. So I'll be working probably four am Boxing Day. Then we'll be hosting the Christmas lunch in the afternoon. Christmas Day though, will be breakfast probably Courtney's house is it a Courtney r mum, And then we'll have Yeah, we've still got to decide kind of what we're doing in the afternoon evening was kind of up in the air for decisions at the moment because we only just heard that it is Boxing Day this year, because there was some debate that it might be Christmas Day, but it is in fact Boxing Day. But it's all family, right, It's all very much, you know, sitting around and you don't really do anything right like like a Thursday. But for some reason, it's a different vibe. And I think that, to me is the point to be made about Christmas in general. What is the difference between having lunch on Christmas Day versus a Thursday. You can't explain it, but it's not the same.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so true. I mean we're thirty two. And Mum was like, because I was trying to all work out what we're going to do because there's so many you don't want to disappoint anyone. You want to see everyone, and it's such a fall on day. And Mom's like, oh, well, just don't come around in the morning to do presents under the tree. And I was like, Mum, we are not canceling that. That is my favorite part of the day because I know we're probably too old, but we still go to our mum and dad's house and open our presence under the tree in our old Santa sack. It's just indescribable the feeling. It's so happy and beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's it. But you know the difference is you still have to bring that right like it's that doesn't you know, that doesn't come from nowhere. You can easily skip that. You could do it at lunch, you could. You know, Traditions and whatnot like that are are a matter of routine. Either you keep it up or they die. They don't just exist forever. And that's why I'm so particular about Christmas because it wouldn't take very long for Christmas and as a commer to slow and die down, and that's the truth of it. But we shouldn't let that happen. And I think that that's what's very generational, right, like the reason that you go even though you know and the concept and it's funny we all say it, But why does being thirty two and open president of the Christas Tree matter more than if you're ten? You know what I mean? Arguably there's you know, some more excitement in the fact that it is in some random stranger in a red suit that you're all actually giving in exchanging gifts from each other, spending your own heart and money. You went out and you tried to find a gift. You've all made the time to come together today. The entire world has made the point to stop working and do nothing for the day, so you can actually do that, and everyone agreed on that, which is something else truly shocking. No, like all of these things come together for you to have one day or you know, however long you choose to make it, but at least one day of quietness. You know, whether that be time for yourself, time for you and your family, you and your friends, whatever it might be, and so there's something special about it, but it's only specially if you identify it and celebrate it. And that's piece that I think is the most important. It's not about who has the nicest tinsel or the biggest tree or the most expensive gift. It's how specially you make the day because all the foundations are there, but you still have to put in some work.
Speaker 1: What a great point to end this episode on. We hope you have a very merry Christmas. Sam, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. He's always love you guys, love the podcast. All right, very merry Christmas to you guys as well. I will no doubt speak to you on Instagram between now and then.
Speaker 1: Now you can follow Sam on Instagram at Sam mangan which is Sam m A N G A N and listen to his podcast literally nobody cares on all good podcast platforms. He actually launched his own Christmas series last year. I'm not too sure if he's doing the same this year because he is extremely busy, but fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: There is a cult of Christmas where people start sort of choosing a theme in October, saying I think I have the tartan Christmas and then they sort of make their own decorations for the tree and maybe spray some walnuts silver and all that sort of thing. Well, when you've got a life, those kind of things sort of slide away to insignificance. You just think that I used to make my own Christmas cards, but i've what's unemployed.
Speaker 1: Now moving on to Christmas recommendations, and I have absolutely been loving the Christmas themed videos on Saffron Barker's YouTube channel. Now, the UK influencer has been very generous and shared two Christmas theme videos in the last week now. One of the videos is all about trying out the UK Christmas menu. Now, as we spoke about it with Sam, I am so jealous that in Australia we don't have a Christmas theme menu, but you can check out what the UK currently has at their McDonald's and feel a little bit jealous. She also filmed another video of only eating Christmas foods for twenty four hours, and I just feel these videos really get me into the Christmas spirit because they only come around once a year and it's really only specific YouTubers who do them, and it's the YouTubers like Saffron and Anastasia Kings North who seem to put a lot more effort into their channel and are regularly uploading, so I would keep an eye on both of their channels for more Christmas content.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: My second recommendation is the Gray Lines Christmas pajama range, which launched earlier this week. Now, Amy and Sophie and I had a fangirl moment because Gray Lines reached out to us and asked if they could gift us a couple of pairs of pajamas and I have been buying from their store for so long. I have a cup with ross kel from friends on there that I use all the time, and I've got to say their pajamas don't disappoint. When they arrived, I cracked up because there's one with a big Pavlova on the front and all over the shorts and it says it's time for a fucking pavvy. And then there's also another one with a bin turkey with Christmas lights on it. So if you are looking for some Christmas pajamas, I suggest checking those out. Fine things are really heating up at my household. I have got my Christmas lights I went down to Bunning's and pick those out, and I've got to say they have an amazing selection of blow up outdoor Christmas lights. So I got a big Santa with slippers and it looks like he's holding a Starbucks coffee and he's wearing pajamas. Now, Amy actually wanted the Santa, but I managed to get him, so I don't know how that worked out. She actually can't have a blow up Santa out the front because it will probably get stolen. Luckily, I live up in the Adelaide Hiels and I'd be very surprised. I hope I'm not jinxing myself if it did get taken. Fingers cross it won't. So this weekend I'm hoping that my outdoor lights will be set up and I'll be able to share it on Facebook with you all. Well, I think that's all we've got time for today. Thank you so much for listening to our second episode of a Very Outspoken Christmas. If you are enjoying the series, please share with us where you're listening to the podcast. Maybe you're putting up your Christmas tree, putting up your Christmas light, it's outside, Christmas baking, whatever, you're doing, we'd love to see it, and please join in on all of our conversations in our Facebook community, which has outspoken the podcast community