Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reloaded podcast in last week. I'm lit. Welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television.
Speaker 2: I don't like the reality show so that they cut within and into their life. I don't like them at all.
Speaker 1: But I've also got to go behind the scenes with writers. The truth is when I started writing it, it wasn't had nothing to do with the news and casting agents.
Speaker 2: They know from a casting point of view what they need.
Speaker 1: And editors because that's what we do as editors where storytellers, not to forget some incredible executive producers who are making some of the best TV in Australia. We thought he'd be too just self aware.
Speaker 2: Well in fact exactly the opposite was true and he became the biggest character in the show.
Speaker 1: So thanks for joining me each week and I hope the podcast continues to give you real insight into the magic of television Today. On the podcast, I have Jordi Hanson from Australian survivors Blood Versus Water currently playing on Network ten. The Victorian Landscaper by trade is used to digging holes and getting himself out of them, and boy did he dig a lot of holes. Despite the ease of which he could make friends in the outside world, Jordi played Australian Survivor like a PG villain, always ruffling feathers and keeping people on their toes. He will forever be known as the Joker to Mark's Dark Knight. Today we'll talk about his courageous gameplay, how he would tweak Australian Survivor, who he thinks will win, and who is the least deserving to still be there. Anyway, I'd like to welcome Jordi Hansen to TV reload.
Speaker 2: I was targeted by every single person out there constantly previously on Australian Survivor. This is the most emotionally charged season.
Speaker 1: We all recognize that Jordie's a serious challenge for it.
Speaker 2: The Dark Knight beats the Joker once again. If Josh doesn't vote with us, this could be the end for the Joker. You're specifically told in the jury you're not allowed to communicate in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: Eighteenth first voted out of Blood Verse Water.
Speaker 2: Jordi relationships to me are the most important thing in the game. Hi Jordie, how are you, my friend? Very good?
Speaker 1: You were most certainly the noisiest player of the twenty twenty two series. Are you proud of your game play?
Speaker 2: Oh mate, I'm so proud. I'm very proud, very proud. I had so much fun, you know, And that was the aim, just go and have fun and play hard, and I did those things, and so now I feel very happy with myself.
Speaker 1: Well, that smelling hug with Jonathan look hilarious. What was in worse condition? Your body odor? Or those overalls?
Speaker 2: Oh mate, those overalls have seen some things. They're still I haven't even watched them. They're still in my cupboard. I'm sort of trying to work out what to do with them at the moment. But yeah, Jonathan did not want to barrow that hug, but I forced it upon him publicly.
Speaker 1: He looked genuinely terrified. Were you always scrambling? And did it feel like you were only getting by by the skin of your teeth every minute of that game?
Speaker 2: And I could not believe it, honestly, from the minute that Jesse went home. He went home day thirty. I went home day forty four. So for literally for two weeks. Every single day I was getting told your next buddy, you're ready to go pack your things, and I go, Matt, not yet, not yet, not yet, you know, and I just keep waking up on the beach, going how am I still here? I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Was it a smart move to align yourself with a villain against Mark's Dark Knight?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, that sort of sort of the character of the joke who was born very naturally. It's sort of it came out. I'm pretty sure Josh was the one that said it. He said, I don't understand how you's still laughing when we're all coming for you, you know, like I was. I was targeted by every single person out there constantly, day after day, but I was having more fun than any of them, you know. And then Mark jumped on the train, jumped on that DC train or whatever Marvel. I'm not sure what I thought. He'd call himself the Dark Knight. Very funny, very funny. The Dark Knight beats the Joker once again.
Speaker 1: How frustrating was Jesse losing that idol to Sam? Can we officially call Sammy the idol swindler if.
Speaker 2: You want, If that's what you want to call it you again? Yeah, absolutely too sneaky at cheeky little devil.
Speaker 1: Had that not had happened, the game would have been quite different for you. Was that really frustrating? And I mean was it hard to have that conversation with Jesse, like, come on, man, what were you thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was. It was frustrating because I was like, you know, we're sitting there in trouble and I said, I sort of said to him, I said, mate, where's the idol? And he says, it's in Turmy's bag. And before any of the votes got read out, I went, oh, no, it's done. They've got us. And he didn't suspect it. He trusted her so much, he trusted her with his life. But I knew that minute. I was like, oh no, literally, worst case scenario right now.
Speaker 1: I just can't believe that they managed to keep lying about it, Like I just like, this is amazing. I mean, I hope that child never grows up and watches their parents on this show, because that kid's going to be a nightmare as a teenager. Right.
Speaker 2: It was very funny, really funny. It's you know, they're great actors, and they played a very different game to me, they were ruthless. You know, that's what it takes. You know, that's what it takes. And they, you know, they did very very well, very well.
Speaker 1: Everyone I've spoken to so far, everyone you played up against, has said that you were making way too many deals and that no one could trust you. Was that kind of your intent? Were you trying to just see what's stuck? Or were you trying to confuse people? And overall was it a good gameplay?
Speaker 2: I was making a lot of deals because no one was doing anything. No one's no one's saying yeah, okay, I'll work with you. No one would give me a solid answer, Like no one would say yeah, all right, let's do this, like no one. So I had to run around like what else was I supposed to do it? You know, like it what am I supposed to just sit there and go all right, I've made I've had one conversation. That's me done. You know, Like that's not how it worked.
Speaker 1: Like as Carn's lying around as the magic carpet from Aladdin and the girls are singing Disney songs and you're like, no, come and do deal with me.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's play, let's have fun, you know, I didn't come to sit around the fire and sing kumbayah.
Speaker 1: Sam looked so annoyed as Mark played that idol last night. Does sammy at this point, and obviously you have that chance to be there at the tribal council and talk to her. Does she think that they've lost the game?
Speaker 2: That was interesting. I think she wasn't sure. I don't probably remember having that conversation, but you know, it was funny seeing Mark play the idol when he didn't need to play it. That was that was sort of nice. But you know, it was sort of like Sam was always confident. She always she always was going to Backmark. You and I think and you know, those two really stuck together. You know, I was strong in their relationship and strong in their trusts for each other. So I have no doubt that she is continuing to sort of push him and go, yep, you've got this mate.
Speaker 1: I mean, the jury is sitting there. Do you think that they give too much away? Because I mean, this is kind of the first time it's been so noticeable for me as a viewer, And how much are you trying to read these signals from the jury.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because you're specifically told in the jury you're not allowed to communicate in any way, shape or form. However, facial expressions are uncontrollable, and so if you can sort of just look over at the right moment, and you know, I was sort of using those opportunities more as a time to try and continue to charm them a little bit, you know, like you guys, has it going? Do you miss me? Sort of thing, like, you know, that was more what I was using those moments for, because realistically, there's only so much you can get from a facial expression.
Speaker 1: I just thought that those twins were the only ones with the best poker face, Like they were sitting there giving nothing away. But as an audience, I was watching it, and I'm like, definitely read Sam's face, Samy's face. You could definitely read Card's face as much as I'm sure he doesn't think you would be able to. You definitely can get some signs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. Sammy couldn't control it. He could not control it one. But it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Well overall, people online last night were commenting on the current version of Australian Survivor versus Other World Survivors. I think because you are such such a passionate person of the game. This would be a great question to ask you. What would you change if you could tweak the current Australian format?
Speaker 2: Very good question as it stands. I really like it. I think they push you to your limit, like there is no help. There's no help from anyone. You know, people go, oh, are they giving you more food? Are they doing this? Are they doing that? It's nothing. You're out there on your own and they have no control over what happens. It's literally like if you go, guys, go and have fun. See how you go, you know, And I find that really good. The format in terms of numbers, perfect amount of people. I reckon days. I would almost say push it out, make it longer. That would work for me anyway. I would like to see that. I would, you know, if they ever made it harder, that would make me more exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll come back and do ninety days.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'd be there for one hundred, three hundred, let's do it. Lock me out there, lock me out there, just someone please pay my rent.
Speaker 1: Mate, you'd be dead. I reckon it about one hundred days. Yeah that environment, Yeah, no, I think that you'd also be very sick of doing what I learned on Kyle and Jackio today, which is how to pooh in the bush.
Speaker 2: You listen, you heard that.
Speaker 1: I literally have just been watching everything today. I don't think I've missed a single thing. And I didn't wash my hair and this is to try and look a little bit like you. So I'm a crazed fan. I've bought the Jordi showbag.
Speaker 2: Yes that's great, but never wash your hair again. If you're a true fan, never wash it again.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, do you reckon that? You know? Sort of tying off the back of that last question, was Blood Versus Water are harder game to play? I mean, I was, honestly and is watching you reunite with your brother Jesse and he was in tears. I was in tears. You weren't. You were like, what's going on? Mate? But you know, did Blood Versus Water become a harder game to play a Survivor because you were playing with your brother? Or did it make it easier?
Speaker 2: That was the vibe out there, You know, we could it was a far more emotionally driven game than I've ever seen. You know, I've seen a lot of Survivor, and specifically Australian Survivor. This is the most emotionally charged season, I reckon we've ever seen. While it's good to have someone in there you know you can trust, it also means you feel like you've got this air of responsibility to look after that person. And so it goes both ways, you know. And I think you see once one person has left their partner, it's off, you know, like away they go. They've got no ties, they've got nothing, They're only risking their own games.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a final five. You know, who does deserve to be there the most at this point and who do you think has done the least.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question for me. It's Josh. Josh. Josh was the man. I gave him a hargot on the way out and I said, you've got this mate, you know, and I truly think he's got what it takes to take it out. He's built beautiful relationships, which I think is something that the others haven't done. Relationships, to me, are the most important thing in the game. If you can build really strong connections with people, you're going to struggle not to win them over at the end. So he's the one to watch for me in terms of people that have not done that as much. Mark has also played a fairly strong game. The others have played a different game, not the game that I would if I was on the jury and I was to vote. The others are perhaps not the way that I would vote. I'd like to see more strategy come from them.
Speaker 1: Who's the one person who's done the last Come on.
Speaker 2: Don't do this to me. Don't do this to me.
Speaker 1: I look, don't beleave the fifth.
Speaker 2: Look one thing, you know, and poor Chrissy, Poor Chrissy, she's not she'd not watched Survivor before coming out, you know, she's she She sort of would sort of come to us and go, right, who are we voting for, you know, and you'd give her a name and she vote, and you know, that's the game that she wanted to play. That's how she wanted to play. And all credit to her. If that's how you want to play, that's how you want to play. But to me, I don't think you're going to get many votes from the jury for that.
Speaker 1: No, but people were really tweeting in support of her last night, Like someone wrote, you know, Chrissy needs to be in every season of Survivor from now on, and I think very entertaining so much so, like I think that she's like Doggle boxing the show live, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious. It is quite funny. She's a beautiful commentator and such a fun check to be around, like so much fun. But unfortunately, being funny isn't going to win your voats. You know, you got to play Survivor our last out play. That's the rules.
Speaker 1: Well, my last question to ask anyone that joins the podcast is what's something from behind the scenes that he as an audience didn't get a chance to see that we would appreciate something that you know, you experienced through the making of Survivor.
Speaker 2: Josh at the spa at the Spa night. Not many people would know, but Josh is a heavy noticed so he did not bat an eyelid at the chance to get his kid off and have a shower at the spa day. That's something you didn't get to see.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, for some.
Speaker 2: He's going to kill me. That's a total lie, Like that is a complete lie. But it's really funny and I hope he gets to hear this. He's going to kill me.
Speaker 1: I'll tag him in it.
Speaker 2: He'll love it.
Speaker 1: My heart ready, I'll get a few hits on that as well, if only we get to see that anyway, mate, can I just say you were just so fantastic. I mean, you and Chrissy to me have been such brilliant television to watch like you are just fantastic characters. I absolutely loved watching you on the show.
Speaker 2: And yeah, congratulations, I appreciate that, mate, Thank you so much. I had so much fun. And yeah, I'm very grateful for the opportunity out of Blast.
Speaker 1: And I'm looking out for the car. I was in black Rock, which I think you're down that way, and I couldn't see the car you want, but I'm sure I'll keep looking out for it.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it either, so if you see it, let me know.
Speaker 1: Oh have you not got it yet?
Speaker 2: No, I'm still waiting, still waiting.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well I shouldn't be looking at for car that doesn't really exist at this stage.
Speaker 2: Not yet. I'll flick your message when it comes.
Speaker 1: I won a car and big brother and my partner wrote it off about three months later, and so my mom said to me, easy come, easy go. And so what did Denzel Washington, say to Will Smith last night at the Academy Awards. When you're at your greatest, the devil comes for you.
Speaker 2: So here it comes. Oh how the mighty have fallen?
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, one hundred percent. Anyway, we won't talk about Will Smith. But thanks mate for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate it.