Speaker 1: The Flex and Rooms Daily.
Speaker 2: Podcast, brought to you by Cada.
Speaker 1: It's Friday again, It's Saturday Sunday. Remember that song was a thing.
Speaker 3: I think it still is for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Bro that song.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something wild?
Speaker 4: I turned to so We're sitting in the show studio and I turned to look to my left, and I'm so sure I saw a little goblin gremlin.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: It's a tripod. But outside at the reception there is a little kind of like odd figure, I don't know. It's like a ceramic figure holding a dish with Halloween lollies. And it reminded me of this thing. I used to ask people that if you saw something so nonsensical, you know, like a bear flying or a three headed man, would you sooner believe that you were going crazier that it actually happened. And I always say that I would sooner believe that it's actually happening, not that I'm going crazy, but these days not so sure. The other day I was driving looked in my rearview mirror and I saw where I saw some kind of like metallicky ready slimy figure coming out that the bottom of a car.
Speaker 3: I was like, what that was my pussy?
Speaker 1: Anyway, guys politicizing the shudio midway through flex from my Gremlins, the leaves behind her fall into a disastrous little pattern.
Speaker 4: I think that was me that time. Anyway, I didn't see the thing. It was like a trick of the eye or whatever. But what if it wasn't? You know? So now what I'm trying to do is to express when I'm seeing odd things, just in case they happen more often.
Speaker 3: So we've got a pattern.
Speaker 1: You're probably looking out for them. No, yeah, anyway, it's Friday. Yeah, I listen to the podcast Fleck and Frooms Flexi as per you come to the show with some very interesting conversation to be had. What have you got today?
Speaker 4: Always, I've been thinking a lot about musicians going on hiatus, only because as someone who is an avid music listener, and not everybody identifies as such. I don't know a few people are like, oh, I listen incidentally, you know, if it happens to be on cater, if it happens to just you know, pop up on YouTube or something. But I am constantly in my what do you call that? Recently new releases? Right, yeah, and I'm always so surprised when my favorite artist pops out because I'm like, Wow, you really are in the studio cooking, you really are working. And then there are a few others where I'm like, it's been five years, when are you going to release something? We know that Rihanna recently came back after like a five plus y hiatus, if not six or seven. Scissa's another artist who constantly has her singles and things leaked and then never releases them. Yeah, or like you know, she'll have a little snippet on a SoundCloud or to go viral on TikTok. We'll all pressure to release it and she won't.
Speaker 1: What's that about.
Speaker 4: I guess she is, you know, sensitive and a perfectionist about her craft and wants it to be right. And then you know people like Franko, you know, gone for so long, And I understand this idea of you know, creating anticipation and getting people really excited and also for your creative experience, wanting to see that process through and be really proud of what you end up creating. But what happens is it creates this double edged sword with your consumer One people get really really irate angry and almost turn on you out of love. I know people who are really who carry a lot of disdain for Rihanna for making us wait so long for a single because we love you so much and we want new music, and it's like, well it's not really, it's not ready. But then alternatively, what I think it does is it creates a standard that because you've waited so long, the music will be really, really good when it gets and sometimes it's just not the case, as seen with Rihanna. For example, she released a new song. It's called Lift Me Up. It's for the Black Panther soundtrack, and the song is meant to be a tribute to Chadwick Boseman, who is Black Panther, who passed away.
Speaker 3: Right, we didn't know that. The fans didn't know that, you know.
Speaker 4: So when reality, she's coming back the Umbrella girl trying to pop something light. You know, we're expecting basslines, you know, like one twenty bpm. It's for the club, and so we press play and it's a funeral song and we're like.
Speaker 3: Love this, but what do we do with this?
Speaker 4: And it's so bizarre seeing how like, you know, it's number three on Spotify. Globally, yet the sentiment is, please bring something else from the archives. We need something fresh, something light.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's a good thing in terms of first day streaming. Like if you if your goal is to make a big impact, then coming back after seven years is good. It's probably not good for your creativity, I think, because you're not putting out a considered body of work, Like obviously, she just brought that out because it's part of the soundtrack, and.
Speaker 4: She's getting a bag for it, probably, which is the smartest thing to do if Sis doesn't really want to make music like that anymore.
Speaker 3: And Black Panther's like, hey, we've got.
Speaker 4: A couple MILLI four years, you know what I'm saying, and the fans are gonna love this. Why would you say no? I'm just thinking I'm just too sensitive for that. I could not imagine being gone for so long coming back and like, yeah, flop eerror, flop era.
Speaker 1: It's different. Well, I think a lot of artists and musicians and actors nowadays do their different things in between, you know, in the hiatus. For example, Seth Rogan obviously from super Bad? Is he from ser Bad? Now he's from Knocked Up? Pretty sure. Seth Rogan. Anyway, everybody knows he's like this, and he I don't think he's done a movie for a while. But he's now got this ceramics. He makes ceramics that are incredible. They're honestly pieces of art that you'd see in the MGV. So now he's like bringing his creativity through in a different way. So there's there's bonuses to be had with hiatuses. It's just sometimes I think people's hiatuses don't yield more creative work for the consumer. I'm all about the hiatus personally. Sure it might set you back for a little bit, but life, if you can't enjoy.
Speaker 4: It's being in a flip air enjoyable.
Speaker 1: See Io Question Flecks and Firms, New Flix.
Speaker 3: Yah.
Speaker 1: I came across this teaktok and it was very compelling because little text said how to make someone like you? And I thought we need more of that in our life. Here's how it goes.
Speaker 2: Do you want to trick someone into making trick like you? Still a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's not what you said, trickery. It was how to make someone like you? And now we're doing how to trick someone into liking you? I don't know if I want that.
Speaker 2: Do you want to trick someone into making them like you just feel a little bit more like? This psychology trick is known to make anyone, even your mom, your boss, your boyfriend, your crush, anyone like may already least a little bit more. Okay, the next time that you are with this person, I need you to ask them to do you a favor that is so small a favor that they will say yes to, something like can you grab me a cup of water? Or can you pick up that pen off the floor for me? Something small, And once they've done that fever for you, just simply thank them and see their name at the end of that something like thank you, Jake. What this does is subconsciously they will believe that because they did you a small fever, that they liked you, because otherwise they wouldn't be doing that thing for you. If you want a brot to him.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, I must say, anyone who asked me to do anything, I don't like. I'm here on this earth for myself, myself only. I'm trying to think about someone. I'm trying to think about relationships where it's been manipulative. I'm thinking For example, an old boss, we had a love hate relationship. She was very demanding.
Speaker 3: Is this mutual She's aware that it was a love hate relationship.
Speaker 1: In the end, Yeah, probably, But in the beginning I really wanted to get her validation blah blah blah. And I can imagine her using this technique and me falling for it a little bit because you do feel like, oh, I want to help you. I want to feel I want to feel like I'm someone you could rely on to do something for you. So I think it's clever in that way.
Speaker 4: So how to get someone to like you a little bit more is to trick them into doing a small favor for you, which gives you, presumably the illusion that or gives them the illusion that.
Speaker 3: You are trustworthy, reliable, et cetera.
Speaker 4: I feel like this could work, but in my head, asking someone to do something for me would create more of a team work environment than a we like each other environment. So, for example, if I'm in a work environment and you want to appear like a team player, the quickest way to do that is to share the load. To share the load, what's the word I'm looking for? Intentionally right? To be like I'm not going to take this from you. I'm going to give you a little bit older, a little bit we're working together. I don't know if that makes someone like you though, Like I don't unless I haven't been manipulated.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I see you as the manipulated more than the manipularity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone manipulate me. Let's shed the load a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what everyone's heard about, the technique of like, use someone's name heaps and they'll.
Speaker 3: Like, you can do you do that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I can't remember people's names. Literally. I can think of multiple instances this weekend of meeting people. It's like my brain goes into a trance. And I hate this because it's so said all the time, Oh I don't remember names. It's like, this is a serious psychological issue that I'm suffering with not remembering people's names. As you smile as you say, is it not serious, I'm no, it's honestly, it's like the comprehension goes out the window. It's like maths, it's going over the top of the head. Even today in the studio we've got Josh and Will watching on. I always go to call Josh Will, and I always forget Will's name, and he's crying now he's put a little tearing.
Speaker 3: But see'stalte from Will about that?
Speaker 1: Please, Will, what are your thoughts? O?
Speaker 3: He gets it, I'm gonna fight you for that.
Speaker 1: One doesn't mean that I don't know Will Well, it's just that the brain does. I don't trust myself, Lex. It's a bit of a self esteem issue, if anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, are you doing anything to work on it?
Speaker 1: Ah, I don't know how to. I don't know how to work on it.
Speaker 3: You tried anything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I met it? Okay, that's true. I was walking down the street the other day. Yeah, I'm walking up this really big hill to go to cut Lunch Jellow to get a coffee, really good sandwich place owned by this sit called Libby. She's a legend anyway, became, you know, became a local living. I'm walking up this street and I see this lady with these two dogs. One of them looks like a chiuaha. It's kind of like a bit tubbier, more like a ah the chiuahua. The chuaha got it a bit chonky. It was kind of more like a Jack Russell. But I go, of course, oh my god, your dog's so cute because we were kind of doing that thing where we were walking next to each other but didn't know each other. You both like soldiering up a hill and your way too close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Usually I'll across the road, yeah definitely, but this time I just, you know, I was on machirit exactly. So we started talking and she's like, Oh, I just live in this house up here. I'm gonna have a bash on Monday night for Halloween. Do you want to come down. I just want to meet locals. And she said to me, her name is I'll do a pseudonym Lily. Great, Oh, pretty close to your lily. My name is Lily, and I'm like, we're chatting in Then two minutes later I was leaving. I'm like, sorry, I forgot your name. What is it again? She goes, Lily, look, try and remember it like this, A lily is a beautiful flower that grows on the top of the water. And then it was going to make me remember. Now I'm trying to think of what hers was because obviously your name wasn't Lily. I want to say it was Cassandra, but then also I don't want to listen to this and think I'm exploiting her lovely neighborliness for content said Cassandra is something in Latin, and.
Speaker 3: Yet you still don't remember, yeah exactly, So it didn't work.
Speaker 1: I can't be helped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tricky. Do you know the name thing?
Speaker 4: If you're not okay, how do I explain this? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because imagine you meet a lot of people and the interactions you're having with people are very presumptuous. They know you, so your chat and chat and chatting, and before you know it, you're like, wait, who are they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What is your name?
Speaker 4: If it's not that. I just think a lot of people aren't that memorable or their name is not the most memorable thing about them. Some people have amazing personalities, great outfits, really interesting stories, And I think to myself, yeah, your name just doesn't stick because it's not memorable.
Speaker 3: But that has nothing to.
Speaker 4: Do with your merit as a person, whether or not I remember you generally, just the name wasn't giving anything.
Speaker 1: I like, it's like that, but I don't think it's anything. It doesn't matter if it's memorable or not memorible. Like another examples, I went into Berkelow Books the other day in Paddington, and the chick's like, oh my god, you do that podcast with Late I recommend that voice. Her Name'salia, told me. And then I had to literally I walk out of the shop. I go to text you say, oh my god, this chick said she really likes you. Her name's Alia or something, And even then I didn't trust myself to know her name is Alia. It's like short term memorial amnesia. I'd love to get better at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a lot of things going on, though, so I feel like it's just it's just.
Speaker 1: Across.
Speaker 3: You'll get there when you get there. It's just not that big of a priority.
Speaker 4: But I will say, if you're somebody who finds themselves constantly forgotten or that the name is forgotten, I used to not believe it was as severe as it is until I one became friends with a person who was constantly forgotten and dated someone who was constantly forgotten.
Speaker 3: I was like, WHOA, that sucks.
Speaker 4: Ah, like you, it would feel so dehumanizing to be like, you know, I've definitely had an interaction with this person many a time, and they're not remembering me. So I don't want to say channel that trauma into something productive, but I want to say if it's a reoccurring thing, there is room to be like, Okay, how can I help here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if it matters to you.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Frooms on DA I've seen a.
Speaker 3: Lot of really bizarre theories on the internet.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just my for you page that this stuff just comes up because it knows I'm interested. We've talked about the green line theory, which is when you're analyzing a photo of a couple or people who are dating, whoever is leaning into the other person presumably has less power in the dynamic. Whoever is standing upwards straight, whatever degree that is zero twelve o'clock. They are the person who is seen to be as dominant or more secure.
Speaker 3: Or holds more power hard degree. I don't even know yet.
Speaker 4: I'm still I don't think I've I need to look at more pictures of couples to know. I feel like, you know, let's look get into it. We've discussed it before. You know where to find it. The podcast Flex and Rooms anyway, anywhere you get good podcasts. But I was sent to this red nail theory, and it's this idea that if you you know a woman who dates men, if you wear red now polish, you'll be seen as irresistible. I'm thinking, Okay, where's the rest of it, Like, what is the theory? This is just a one line statement. So I did some googles, and by googles, I went to TikTok and searched that red noil theories and thought would come up. And there was this one girl called girl Boss Town who had been trying out the red now theory, presumably to attract some men. And she says that her theory is that of the men that she's trying to attract in that age group thirty year olds or whatever. She feels like it's like a Sigmund Freddy Oedipus complex. Your mom likely had red nails, so it reminds you of you know, warmth and empathy and nurturing and caring and whatever, whatever, whatever, And so that's what you're drawing you to the nail. And then you apply those attributes to the person who also has the now color. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Ah? I mean, I will say, if you're thirty now, your mom probably did wear the red now.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 3: My mum was a red now polish person. But I'm not thirty. I wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true twenty four. I mean I kind of see it. I think that red nails would turn straight men off.
Speaker 3: Oh please pray tell.
Speaker 1: Because it's kind of in that like. I also think red lipstick turns men off.
Speaker 4: We've got two men in the in the room. We've got two men in the room. Let's ask them, Josh, red nails, yes or no? Wow, give us some thinking. Josh says indifference. That's one man down. We've got another one.
Speaker 1: Will he's into red, he's into red nails.
Speaker 3: We're getting an aggressive thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Does your wife wear red nails? Yep, yep, the wife wears red nails? What about red lipstick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit more indifferent, but we'll take it.
Speaker 4: We've actually managed to find a third man, which is just it's a lot of representation for us.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about red nails? Louis Hi all the.
Speaker 1: Way up and red lipstick? Whoa a man wants some red lips?
Speaker 4: Love data flex and froom census. I see you thought you knew something for a second. How dare you speak about about men in the room? Wow, I need more questions to ask them.
Speaker 3: That was so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll do it. We'll do it again next time. Thanks for that. This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 4: You know me. For me, you're like data and I like star signs when they come together. It's one of my main interests. We've also figured out, like, which star sign is most likely to be a billionaire. Maurice knows Taurus. It definitely wasn't a Sagittarius, that's for sure, a lot of Sagittarius shade. I was doing some more research and I was like, what's the most rare star sign? Because I have an individuality complex and I would like to know that if I fit into a cricteria, I could share the information with you.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately, the most rare star sign is Virgo. No, why do you guess that?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just never really hear of virgos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I only know like two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? What is it?
Speaker 3: Aquarius?
Speaker 4: February born people? It makes sense that Holy Year twenty eight days situation. And what's really wild is that stereotypically Aquariuses have individuality complexes and want to be perceived as unique and rare, so this suits them.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy Aquarius Aquaria.
Speaker 1: I just think of mermaids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're an air sign, so the aqua will throw you off. Yeah, okay, And what are you your aries in Aris with Aquarius? Well, I was in pre Aquarius. You know, I was meant to be born on my dad's birthday, which is February twenty seven.
Speaker 3: It would suit you. I was seven days late, damn.
Speaker 1: Because individuality, it's individuality complex. I was born on the third or the third. You're so different, and I'm a lucky little binch.
Speaker 3: Oh hello, Binch.
Speaker 1: Just in the studio now. So if you're a big listener of the show, you know we have a ghost, a poltergeist like creature among us what we record, and the little decorative blossoms behind flex have just fell dramatically. She looked around, kind of only haunts me though, Oh yeah, it's because I'm one of them. They don't follow with me.
Speaker 4: See how can the ghost denier, the spooky denier claim that she's one of the polter guys. One day we'll know the real story about rooms. Because she's mentioned before that she doesn't believe in esoteric things, but her family does regular seances. So I'm a bit confused, but we won't dig into it.
Speaker 1: Now you're listening to flex and frooms on KEDA.
Speaker 4: Flex frooms and the moral dilemmas that do not stop. If you ever found yourself in an experience where you need to know, if you're at fault and you don't have any reliable friends, you can call out or call in on phone us and by phone I mean just DMUs. We'll send us an email and we'll decide for you.
Speaker 1: This one is a really good one. It's a Sydney based and my varshole which you know me and my location based baddie. I love location stories and this is question for dog owners. Am I in the wrong here? Oh, get straight to it. To preface this post, I'm not a dog owner. I'm a cat person, but I do love dog dogs and I have had many great interactions with dog and dog owners. I had a small run in with a dog owner and wanted to get some opinions on whether they or I were in the wrong here. Yesterday afternoon, my partner I were taking engagement photos in Centennial Park Slay this time. This part of the park is an off lead area and though we were generally in the bushy part of the park. We saw many people walking their dogs past us, ride bikes, et cetera. No issues. They probably saw me rollerbating because I was there this week. At one point in the shoot, a staffy bolts into our photographer, nearly knocking her over, tries to jump onto my partner, fortunately missing as she was in a white dress, and then jumps onto me, leaving a big dirty smudge on my shirt again somewhat Fortunately you couldn't really see it on the navy the dog as he's jumping around for good ten seconds while I'm yelling at to the owner, who turns out to be a gentleman a good fifty to sixty meters away, not paying attention to what is happening. He calls his dog in and waves an apology before yelling, you know you're in a dog park right now. Actually, you have no problem with being approached by a dog. Indeed, a staffy was clearly super friendly, and on another day I might have given it a pat. My issue more is that the dog owner was clearly not paying attention to his dog and would barge into a group of people and started jumping on them. Therefore, the park is not a dog park. It is a public park with an off lead area, and the park guardlines specify that dogs should be under effective control while of lead. Finally, we must have seen at least one hundred other dogs that day off leads, none of which gave us an issue like this, And the photographer noted that in all the years she'd been photographing there, nothing like.
Speaker 3: That headed photographing.
Speaker 1: In any case, our interaction ended there, but I was looking for opinions on whether my ire at this particular dog owner was warranted, or whether or not we should be he should be more attentive in this off lead area. Did you write this.
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: Mas is a descendant of the French family, my ancestors.
Speaker 4: I don't mean to laugh at people's misfortunes, but I've said it a thousand times before. If you're trying to do private stuff in a public area, you risk what you risk, right. I can't imagine in any world someone wanting to take bridal photos in a dog park and then feeling some kind of way that a dog came up to them.
Speaker 3: Babe, you're in their space, get out of here, and then to bring.
Speaker 4: Up the park guidelines or the park guidelines say that you have to keep an eye on your dog. Okay, and this is my thing, right, I understand that they understand that they're in the wrong, but then trying to paint this picture around it.
Speaker 3: But like, no, there were other dogs in the area, and the other dogs didn't do this. This is the thing.
Speaker 4: If you want privacy in public spaces, you gotta pay a fee, get some security, get some get some helpful friends, make it do what it does. You were cutting corners and now look, get a little stuff here running up. No part of me thinks that the stuffy or the stuff he's owner should be blamed. Sorry, not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: Look, as a personal person that doesn't like dogs, reform. I said it once, I've said it again. I'm going back into my disliking dog ear. Just oh, just one week ago, I decided I can't have a Chihuahua. Okay, I can't deal with picking up dog shit. No, I can't deal with having an animal that like.
Speaker 3: But you're ready for motherhood, you say, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's different. That's different. That's like a long term like a dog is always a dog, you know, it doesn't have many other attributes that a non dog.
Speaker 3: Like, Oh, but a baby grows up, a baby grows up.
Speaker 1: Okay, line shade, line shade. I'm in favor of the wedding people. I don't believe in dogs being off leashes in an area where there are children or bikes. Too many times in Centennial have I seen or heard of stories, Because if you haven't been to Centennial Park, it's this massive park in Sydney with a ring around it which is like a ring road with people on bikes, roller blades and cars. Sometimes people get their dogs off leashes and dogs who run in front of bikes, bikeners get injured, dogs get killed. This is a regular current since Centennial Park and therefore I believe it should be a leash only area. I believe dogs should only be a lot of fleecies if they're in a fenced area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I feel like you're missing the point though, Like if if I was taking bridle pictures in an area for bridle pictures and a dog came up, I'd be pissed off. But you're going to a dog park where you know off lead dogs will be and getting surprised and an a offley dog came up to you, It just feels nonsensical. It just feels like if you really cared so much about your photos, you would go somewhere where you're like, you know what, the margin of error is so slim because we've taken precautions.
Speaker 3: And again, you're in a public area, Like anything could have.
Speaker 4: Happened, right, A little kid could have come up to you, a bird could have shout on you, and then what you're gonna be like calling Peter being like a wanna bullish or birds or whatever. I just feel like, and maybe it's my thing about public areas, but I feel like we have so many services available for people who are particular about what they want to do in spaces. Right, if you know what you're after, go to a place suitable for what you're after, as opposed to now orienting everyone to make your life easier because you want the benefit of having this like amazing experience in a public area, people are just trying to walk their dogs. Go have your bridal party photos elsewhere, Like go to.
Speaker 1: A green screen, get the photographer to take some pictures of Centennial.
Speaker 3: Go to the botanic gardens.
Speaker 4: You know there's a bunch of leafy areas that no four legged creatures are going to jump on you at it feels really simple to me.
Speaker 3: I don't know. There's something about like.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 4: Uh, Murphy's law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong. And then we also have Ockham's razor. The simplest answer is usually the best answer. So if you want to take a photo in a place where damage is unlikely to happen, go to a place where damage is unlikely to happen. Sorry to this person, I know you want to support, but I just don't see it for you.
Speaker 1: Look, all I'm gonna say is Staffi's are to be feared, Yes or no. We'll come to that to another break. But Staffy's pit bulls bulldogs, not from APAM.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune in Decater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.