Speaker 1: Life Uncut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode of the podcast was recorded on Gadigal Land of the Orination. Hey guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut.
Speaker 2: I'm Brittany and I'm Laura. And last week I gave y'all some homework. Indeed I did, and I'm wondering if anybody actually went and watch it.
Speaker 1: Well I did, but I did before you gave me the homeworks.
Speaker 2: So I did it a little while ago. Okay, well you get a gold star for anybody else. I did tell you all that we were interviewing Kelsey Waghorn, who was from a Netflix documentary. It's called The Volcano Rescue from Fakari and it's all about the White Island volcano eruption that happened in New Zealand. Now, Kelsey is a survivor of the volcano eruption and she speaks so openly and so rawly about her experience, about her recovery, but not just her physical recovery, also her mental recovery as well. It's just not something anyone is ever going to experience. It must be comprehensible.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to I think that there's so many times, and we talk about this, but there's so many times in life that you go through something and you reach out to a support group. While there's other people that can help you through that situation. But I think for Kelsey, there is not a huge group of people that survived something as traumatic as a volcano eruption, and you know, she had a lot of repercussions from that, and we do get into that. It's a truly humbling story. You don't have to have seen the documentary to listen to this episode, but I can guarantee you after this episode, you're.
Speaker 2: Going to want to go back and watch the documentary. Before we get into speaking to Kelsey, though, there is something else that we wanted to talk about. There has been a research that has gone into why is it that people like to date people who look almost the same as them. I love to date our siblings. I love the.
Speaker 1: People that put the funding into this. Somebody has funded this study. Someone has said we need to know why people date people that look like their brother and sister.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it was the Instagram siblings all dating. Probably I just had this thought.
Speaker 1: Now you went away to Hamilton Island, it looked magnificent. Keisha producer Kisha went away to Melbourne, had an amazing wedding, amazing time. I don't think I spoke to another human the whole weekend.
Speaker 2: You had dinner with someone. Last night. I literally was messaging you about work and you were like, sorry, I can't do it now I'm at dinner until Sunday night at my house.
Speaker 1: I just had one of those weekends where I was like, I'm not gonna speak to any one of these weekend I actually hung out with my dog.
Speaker 2: I actually think that that's great. Every so often, it's nice to just go for like an extended period of time where you're like, I am not speaking to another human. Oh yeah, I don't say it. Like, have sympathy for me.
Speaker 1: I love shutting down sometimes, Like I love going into a little hermit box. Like if I were an animal, I'd probably be a hermit crab, I would think.
Speaker 2: But like with a big lush shell, But that's that's what happened with like a Gucci shell that has some sort of branding on the I would have spent.
Speaker 1: My javonchi shell and then I would upgrade you the Guchi. In my wildest dreams, I would love that. The only person I spoke to you really was the lady from the store, from the cocoa whip store. So I have a new addiction, Laura, coco whip.
Speaker 2: Have you tried it? It's like, yeah, yeah, I mean I have. Am I addicted to it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Have I tried it? Yes, I'm addicted, like as in frozen yogurt, coconut frozen yogurt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's organic, so it's so healthy. Etce too much of a good thing is still too much? I mean it's still it's still like ten table suits of sugar, I think. But it's across the road from me very conveniently. It's my new thing that I'm doing every single day.
Speaker 2: So you know what I one single day? Well, you know last time I had this addiction, because this is also what I do.
Speaker 1: I find one thing. I have it every day for like four months. So it was yes, recently this light where Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last year it was spinach sausage rolls from the health food and porium and it was like, because they're from the health food and porium, they're healthy, and I reckon. She would eat two a day, like she'd come home with just two brown paper bags, and then often she would buy four of them, two for herself, one for me and Keisha. I didn't even like them. They were actually fucking awful every day, every day. Yeah, which was very generous of you, but it was almost like you wanted other people to get involved in your addiction to sausage rolls. And now I feel like we're there with the coco Whip, which I'm okay with because I like cocoa whip.
Speaker 1: You will eat the sausage roll, and then I upgraded upside to eat the meat sausage roll because the thirty sausage roll wasn't enough.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I've transitioned. I haven't had a sausage roll for a while.
Speaker 1: I weaned myself off them, and they were really surprised. I went in one day. They were like, just a sausage roll and I was like.
Speaker 2: No, can't do it anymore, and they were like, what are you okay?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Went well, but it's the coca whip now, and that's what I'm doing. It's like when you go so hard on a song, like you really like a song, and then you play it NonStop and then all of a sudden, one day you just get the itck for that song and you can't play it again because you've done it so many times. But going back to sausage rolls just one second.
Speaker 1: I don't know why this is what we're talking about, but like I'm gonna go with it. Last week we did radio out at our you know, the air and studios. We're out of mccuori Park and every Thursday they load up they've got like these what's the brea and the guy was from The Bachelor.
Speaker 2: Garlo's Pies Jackson Garlic.
Speaker 1: Who remember there was that big scene on The Bachelor and the Bachelotte with Andie Kent where he brought her a pie.
Speaker 2: And he took her to the pie shop and she was a vegan. Well, we have two like of those like little hot what are they the little pie ovens. There's two pie ovens at the radio station, right and every Thursday they load them up with pies and we can go and we can have a free pie. Anyway. Well, it's like the highlight of the week and that's what we used to do, Like last year when we were doing radio, we'd go and get a pie every week. So it was Friday, We've just done our radio show and I went and I was like, oh, there's pies in the oven and I when I got one, I was like, Oh, it's a bit cold, but fine. Fucking bit into it and realized it was yesterday's sausage roll that had been sitting in there since the Thursday. And I was like, had this moment where I was like, do I swallow this? You did? Though for sure I did because I was in the foyer and Daisy was sitting Anyway, how we've managed to get onto a long five minute conversation about sausage rolls is on me. But yeah, that was my experience. Okay, never again. Okay. So how was Hamilton Island? Hamilton Island was the absolute freaking best. It was also very hot, very muggy, peak wet season, but it was beautiful. Now I feel like I'm having a real Drew Barrymore moment though, because in sorry, what capacity never been kissed or in that it was Lala's birthday, Lola's second birthday, and we decided that we were not going to do presents, so we did no presence for Lola this year, but we took her. She's too She's got no idea it could be a problem when she's eight, but we took her to Hamilton Island and we had like the most beautiful family time together. But it wasn't until the Sunday when a lot of our friends and family were like, oh, it's Lala's Like everyone forgot because we did include on us because we didn't put on social media.
Speaker 1: So it's my It was my nephew's birthday on Laala's birthday too, so they're born on the same day.
Speaker 2: Cue. Did you remember your nephew's birthday? Yes? I did? Okay, Well, now next year, it's going to make it so easy for you to remember. So here's the question. Do you think you're setting like a scary precedent for your children's birthdays?
Speaker 1: If Lola's second birthday you took it a Hamilton Island, What does Marley get for her birthday?
Speaker 2: And what you do every year?
Speaker 1: Now, like I reckon, you've got to wind it back, go back to the Tonka truck.
Speaker 2: I guess the way that we're going to approach this is kids don't get presents if there's a big holiday on their birthday, But if there isn't and we're not doing anything particularly special, then they can have presents. Will that come back and bite us in the ass? I don't know, maybe, but like we're just like, we don't know what we're doing when it comes to this parenting thing, and we're absolutely just kind of throwing caution to the wind and doing our best.
Speaker 1: Do you think you'd ever give them a choice and say now you can go away for the weekend or you can have presents, or do you think because you're gonna want the holiday anyway? You're like, this is what we're doing. So it was like hack your suit, gay.
Speaker 2: The present was for.
Speaker 1: Us real, Like when I bought that massage Hot massage kit.
Speaker 2: For my boyfriend at the time for a present, but I just wanted him to massage me back. It's the same thing. Yeah, it is the same thing, Okay, but something happened on this holiday and I kind of want I don't even know if I bought your opinion on it, but it was the most outrageous parenting thing I've ever experienced, and I was filled with so much fucking rage from this that I need to tell you, and I also like want everybody else to kind of DM me and tell me what you would have done in this instance. Okay, well I can just listen if you don't want my opinion, no, I would love your input. Okay. So we went out on it. We had amazing day trip, went on a beautiful boat. It was phenomenal and it was an organized trip. There were quite a few families on this trip, and it was like we're on a boat, zero phone reception. But while we were sitting there, Matt and I kept on getting something air drop to us, like air drop after air drop after air drop. And this sounds really dumb, but at the time I didn't realize that you could change your settings and your phone so that you can't like as in turn air drop receiving off. So I was just canceling them. But Matt, thinking it was funny, was accepting the air drops right, And there were just pictures of these kids being silly, sending selfies, like really silly stuff, and Matt was like, look, if someone's gonna send me an air drop, I'm no accept it. Anyway, this went on the boat where it was two hours it went on for about half an hour of the boat.
Speaker 1: Right, so some other kid has stolen his parents phone.
Speaker 2: Some kid or maybe it's his own phone, who knows. They're like fourteen year old kids. And there was a group of fourteen year old kids on the boat, like this little group of boys, right, So it wasn't an accident.
Speaker 1: I'm picturing a two year old no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: This was like and it was like incessantly sending. You couldn't open your phone without having an air drop request pop up every two seconds, right, And so instantly I was like, Oh, it's those it's that group of boys, like they are the culprit, the little turd burgers. And I definitely made that assumption without like going and checking the boat or anything. I was like, it's that group. I made that assumption pretty quickly. Anyway, about twenty minutes past and I gave my phone to Marley because I'd loaded up Coco Melon, I loaded up some other like things for her to watch, and she's watching the preloaded videos because there was nothing else, Like there was no reception, so we couldn't get onto the internet, which is important to this story. I could see that the air drops were still coming through and she was accepting some of the air drops, and I kept going back in to turn it off and to like go back to the video that she was watching. And then I saw this one thing pop up, and it was a video that was playing. The kids had started to air drop hardcore, fucking pawn hard core, and I'm like, oh, I just got goosebumps. It was revolting the porn that they were dropping, right, and it had popped up on the screen in front of Marley, so she had seen a couple of seconds of it before I saw what it was, and I grabbed the phone and I obviously turned it off. But Matt and I had had a conversation prior where Matt was like, do not go and say anything to their parents, Like we're on this fucking boat with them, Like, do not go and say a thing. I'm sorry you. I hope you stormed over there. Mate. As soon as I saw this pop up, I was like, I am shaking out. I was filled with rage. I'm so mad still, and the more I talk about it, the matter I get. Yeah, So I went up to this family. Actually Matt, Matt did it first. I made him because I was so enraged that Matt was like, okay, I'll go. So he went up and spoke to the parents. He spoke to the two dads first, and it was a big groups. It was a big group of kids and a big group of parents, And he went out and spoke up to two of the dads that was standing off to the side and just said, hey, your kid's air dropping some pretty and appropriate stuff to us, like I just want to make you aware of this, and they kind of like laughed it off until Matt showed them one of the videos and like the video was I can't even I won't even describe it because it was so unbelievably repulsive, right, I can imagine Matt also being very diplomatic and careful at the start. So diplomatic, Yeah, that's so polite, so like non accusatory. Anyway, Hey, just so you know, like my two year olds watching, how got porn? Because yes, because of your sad so yeah. And also this is content that they had to have had on the phone because there was no internet reception, so it wasn't like they were downloading it. It was already there. True anyway, so good detective work. They didn't take it seriously. Then the mother came over to me because I was like, hey, no, this is something you need to address. The mother came over to me and then started to accuse me of like why did we assume that it was their children? Like have you gone around the boat? Have you checked that one else? She was like, how do you know it's my kids? And I felt the rage go through the fucking roof. Do you have a mom fight? I had a mom fight. She was defending her fourteen year old boys, and I was like, you need to reprimand your children for just sending my three year old hardcore porn or go up.
Speaker 1: And just say, can I please look at your phone?
Speaker 2: So anyway, she ended up taking the phone. Well, the dad did and he went through the phone and he came up to us about fifteen minutes later, and he was like really casual about it. He was like, hey, so sorry about that. Uh yeah, look one of the videos was on my son's phone, so I guess it was them. Haha. Teenagers? Hey, and I cannot accept that this is just teenagers? So do you okay? No, okay, here we go, here we go? Is this just teenagers?
Speaker 1: Is that? Like?
Speaker 2: How do you as a parent not know that that's what your teenager has loaded onto their phone. Nah, I know, I know, I get it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I get that this is a thing that teenagers would do in terms of they're curious, they're gonna download porn, they're gonna watch porn. I get that, But it is not it just oh, just teenagers. You can't brush that off when they are sending that to other people because they think it's entertaining.
Speaker 2: Like that is different.
Speaker 1: But I think that a fourteen year old, fifteen year old is going to be looking at porn. I don't think you can avoid that. But you can go and reprimand your child and say, you know what, I get you curious, you're gonna look at it. That's fine, but you can't go and force that onto someone else, especially when there's a two year old on the phone.
Speaker 2: I think for me, it was the type of porn. So this pawn was very and like you know, just very much trigger warning here for anybody who this is going to be too much for So this pawn was very much rape culture porn, and so to me, I'm like, if your child has that on their phone and you don't take that seriously like that is not just boys will be boys, That is not just old teenagers will be teenagers. That is absolutely fucking frightening, and it makes me think like, what are these fourteen year old boys thinking about women, thinking about how women want to enjoy sexual experiences? How do they respect women or girls their own age? There was so much more loaded into this fifteen minute encounter that for me, as a parent of really young children who I know will become teenagers one day, was really frightening. That is different. That changes things.
Speaker 1: If it's not just like this is curiosity. No, if it's not just like I don't want to say standard sex. But if it if.
Speaker 2: It's not just that it's missionary, I don't want to hear about it. I mean, missionary is one thing.
Speaker 1: But no, when you're add in that it's a rape culture style porn, I mean that of course that changes things. And they're standing there and they think it's funny. We don't know that they think the rape culture is funny. We know they think sending porn and making someone uncomfortable is funny. But the fact that at fourteen, when you were so impressionable, and that is what you are learning, and that is when you're developing your interests and what you think is okay, the way you respect people, the way you navigate that life. If that is what they're choosing to watch over anything else, extremely problematic. Yes, that is something the parents need to talk about. And I think that you, in this case were completely in the right. These parents were obviously completely in the wrong. And if they if they parents laugh this off, it's an indication of why the kids think that this is okay. Like, learn from your surroundings and like the five people you're closest to. So if your parents who you're learning from, think that this is okay, I don't know what the kid's gonna hap.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe they didn't think okay. Maybe it was one of those situations where it's like they want to have a nice day with their kids. They've they've taken them out on this experience, and it's like to reprimand them would just mean that everyone has a terrible time. So it's kind of like, well, like, look, it's unfortunate, let's put it off to the side. But I don't know. There was a part of me that felt even more frustrated that they hadn't taken it more seriously, that was my okay, that was like something that happened on the weekend. The trip was literally a trip of a lifetime. It was phenomenal. But that was just such a parenting moment where I was like, Wow, there's a right way in a wrong way, and I feel like this was handled so badly.
Speaker 1: I am just picturing what my dad like. They call him big tones, big Tony. I call him for a reason. He's a big boy Papa hockey hockey.
Speaker 2: Sometimes he's just more oh my god, my dad's the best.
Speaker 1: But he would gone off someon would have been overboard like that, that would not have flown.
Speaker 2: Well. No, look Matt very much. He stood up to the plate after it kind of escalated, But it was more so just I know it's human nature and parenting nature to want to defend your children, like you never want to think the worst of them, but like, it was such an unusual experience. I never ever thought I would be in that situation, And I don't know how I would have responded if I was on the other side, but I think I would have responded quite differently.
Speaker 1: I would like to think that these parents were probably embarrassed a level of embarrassment. Didn't want to make maybe a big scene, like you said, and let's all hope that they went up to the kids.
Speaker 2: And we're like, we're gonna deal with this later.
Speaker 1: Well in by the year, but like, I'm not going to cause a scene right now.
Speaker 2: Never having a phone again or sex ever.
Speaker 1: No, well, speaking of parenting, my brother had a baby on the weekend. He obviously h didn't, but his fiance Kim did. Is my brother Dane and his partner Kim had a baby. So I'm an auntie again, which is very nice, very cute.
Speaker 2: I want to gauge your opinion. No, I know what you're doing here, and I'm not okay with this. I don't like that you have waited until we're on record to tell me the name, which makes me think that I'm going to have adverse feelings towards No, the child had had no choice in this. It's not their fault. Whatever your brother named their child, it's not your child.
Speaker 1: It's one of those names that gonna be like I'm gonna prey scarticle or fucking cupcake or something, isn't it. It's one of those names that like at the start, you're like, okay, okay, unusual, but then I think it grows on you. Okay, So that happened with my niece, same family. My niece she's six, so six years ago, so I don't think his name was as common as six or seven years ago. Pick.
Speaker 2: Her name's Pixie and I like that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: I remember when they were like, he it's Pixie. Sherry and I were like, oh, that's nice, but we didn't but we hadn't heard it a lot and it was unusual. But like you know, a month later, she's never going to be anything else. It's Pixie and it's adorable and I love it, and I think his name's the same.
Speaker 2: This is one of those things, right where like whatever you name your child is going to have an impact on who they are and what they grow up to be because it actually influences the way that people speak to them. So if you give someone a cutesy name, they're never going to be like missus Cupcake, who's representing you in the legal services. I've met a kid and their name was Okay, and it's thrown me the rest of my life, which is wild.
Speaker 1: Maybe we need to do a call out for like the most unusual names at preschool. But yeah, so that's funny that you say that, like it's who they're grow into. Because my brother is a big boy. He's six foot two or something like big, broad shoulders, he's chattered like he's a big boy.
Speaker 2: He's a film say, Kim's.
Speaker 1: A beautiful, amazing but she's very tall as well. So they're gonna have tall kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they just done. She ain't gonna be a pixie, she's gonna be a tall Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a little boy and his name is Bear.
Speaker 2: Oh I like that. Why do you think that that's so weird? Well it's not.
Speaker 1: It's weird, but it's unusual to me because I haven't heard it. Yeah, like rah bear like bear.
Speaker 2: B e r Yeah, grizzly be like rah bear cute. I'm okay with that. Do you think it's Do you think that he's gonna grow up and he's.
Speaker 1: Going to be he's going to be so tall and his name's bet.
Speaker 2: Also very good if he turns out to be gay, because it's already sort of for him, he'll be the bear.
Speaker 1: Well that's the other thing, because he's gonna be Yeah, he's gonna like the grizzly bed.
Speaker 2: That's a gay term, isn't it. I only know that from your brother, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'm an auntie again and he's absolutely adorable. So I'm gonna go visit probably next week, and I'll give you a little update. But is Yeah, it's fun to be an auntie because I get my mom fixed.
Speaker 2: Without having to give birth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I see your kids, and I see my aunt my nieces and nephews, and all my friends have kids, and I get what I need for the minute. Hey, do you want to know an update on that?
Speaker 2: What on the egg freezing situation? I think I'm gonna freeze my eggs again. Yeah, how many eggs do you need? To freeze as many as you can?
Speaker 1: So I only got fifteen, which sounds like a lot, but it's actually not that many. So that could result in maybe four viable They might not actually take four is enough for children, but that's only if they take so then they might not work anyway. But no, what I was gonna say is, for the first time ever, You know how I always talk about kids and like I'm I've always been more.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want them, No, Like I'm always no, no, no, no, when we first started this podcast, you were always like, yes, I know I want them, and then over the years you were like, the more time I spend with your children, I think I don't want that. And I was like, that's really offensive. That's a super offensive thing to say, but let's go with it.
Speaker 1: But yes, that is true, but it's also not your kids. I'm obsessed with them and then the best kids. It's just the way it changes your life. I've always thought I wasn't ready for that, so it's my life now, So it's your entire existence. So it's actually everything about the way that you live that I hate. It's just all of you in a package. I don't want it. No, I'm joking, but it's there.
Speaker 2: You know, we all know parenting is a full time job. It is, but it's one thing to know it, and it's another thing to see it.
Speaker 1: It's one thing for me to sit at home knowing how busy someone is and tied there and screaming in tantrums, but it's another thing when you're there. And I've always thought that every time I'm around my friend's kids, and I'm like, I'm not ready for that. I don't think I want it for the first time ever. Now I don't know if it's an age thing. I don't know if it's banned minu partner. I don't know what it is. But for the first time, if I've been on that precipice in the middle and I don't know which way to fall, I'm starting to fool the kid's way.
Speaker 2: It's because you're newly a life of no because I wasn't like that with Jordan.
Speaker 1: I was still like, I don't think I want them. And I also don't know if it's because this year I'm thirty six.
Speaker 2: Guys, the truth is out. Finally, may put that into your reporting. We'll still thirty five technically. Okay, wait, I have a question for you about this, because I think this is really interesting. Do you think it partly plays into the fact that Jordan was quite on the opposite side of it. So Jordan was very much that he didn't want to have kids, or he would do it to make you happy, but it wasn't something that he was excited about. And I know that this is a personal preference. I don't want anyone to think that just because you have a partner who really wants to have children, that you'll change your mind. But do you think for you it has had an influence on how you're feeling.
Speaker 1: I genuinely don't think so, because I mean, yes, of course there's going to be some level for sure, But I went into that. I met Jordan when I was already freezing my eggs. I was freezing my eggs because well, I wasn't in a situation to have a child, and I also didn't want that child yet. And I had this conversation with my sister and my friends and you guys for years, how do you know when am I going to know?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, like I'm waiting for that time to come where it hits me like a train, being like I can't wait to have a baby, and it never came. So then if I really wanted children and I started to date someone that didn't, that's a bit of a deal breaker for me, right If two people are pole opposite with something as big as a life change like children, it's not gonna work out. But it didn't put me off at all when I met Jordan, because I wasn't sure myself, and I was always like, I don't know if I want that whole life change, and it was something I was really working on in myself because it's a scary thought to think you might not want it, because there's no going back down the track like later on in the track.
Speaker 2: And also when you have to deal with so many people constantly telling you that you will regret it, and even if you don't think that you will, that constantness would definitely plant some doubt, plant some fear if nothing else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think a lot of people will understand what I'm saying that are in my position where they don't think they want them. They will resonate with what I'm saying. Where it is a scary thought because even though you could almost be sure about something, there's still this little bit of doubt. And it's not something you can just change, like you down the track in twenty years. You can't be like, it's not like when you were, like I wish I went on that holiday to Iceland, I'll just go. You can't go back in time and change that situation. So it's it puts a lot of pressure on you. But for the first time I've changed, I think that it's something that I do want in my future now and I'm not saying that I'm having them and I'm excited, And I do think maybe it's a thing where it's I am thirty five now, and maybe that maternal instinct for me is kicking in a lot later in life. But I think, yeah, I think that's my life update. I think I'm rolling over.
Speaker 2: One more question about this. If you were not with Ben and you were on your own, would you still want to do it? Do you think that you would ever pursue having children regardless of your relationship status at this stage?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, at this stage no.
Speaker 1: I would be okay if it happened, of course, and you'd make it work. But I still don't think it's a choice I'd go down My whole being doesn't want it enough to go down that track alone.
Speaker 2: Well, then maybe it does have this massive influence. The fact that you're in a relationship now with someone who wants kids in their future. It has helped to push you within a direction where you're seeing that as part of your future. Because I had the same thing with Matt, I didn't ever have that maternal push. I really didn't, but I knew Matt really wanted to have kids, and for him, that was a huge deal breaker. If I said I didn't want to have children, we would never have been together. I never felt strongly either way. So it wasn't a case that I got into relationship with him and it forced me to have children. It was that because I was with him, well, I could see myself then having kids more than I could say a year prior, and now I couldn't see my life without children. But I know that everybody's experience around that is so different. And that's why we've done an episode on being childless by choice, because I think it's so important that for people who know that they don't want children that they feel represented but also not just represented, respected in their decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know Ben, it's early days, it's a couple of months.
Speaker 2: But I know Ben as a person.
Speaker 1: We've spoken about it enough to know, you know, like, do you want kids?
Speaker 2: Do you not? Like we talk about that stuff. He's a bit like me too.
Speaker 1: He's like, if you adamantly didn't want them, that would be okay. He's like, but I've always sort of just seen them in my life, so he's also not strongly wanting them. But when I look at him and I think this is something any woman thinks about when they start to date somebody, whether it's a woman or a man, do you look at them in that parental light? Do you think that would be a good parent, a good dad, or a good mom. And I know he would be a great dad. He's so gentle and kind, And there's a part of me that's like, oh, I can if I went down that track with that person one day, I can see that it would be a really good situation. So there might be a little part of that too where I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, and also, would you make a good team? I think is the biggest thing. Yeah. Well, before we get into speaking to Kelsey on today's episode, there was one more thing that I wanted to talk to you about, Britt and it is an article that came out in Psychology today. Pedestrian also did a peace on it. But it's all around how there are now scientific reasons as to why we seem to choose people who look like us. I mean, you know, the whole Instagram account, siblings or dating. I do know it. You also know that people think that Matt and I look like we could be related.
Speaker 1: Yes, I actually has crossed my mind before.
Speaker 2: To be fair, I think that every single guy I've ever had a long term relationship with looks like they could be my brother. Well, so maybe this is a thing. Maybe so, oh no, it's a thing.
Speaker 1: It is science is doing its job and being science, and there's a room behind it.
Speaker 2: That was the most profound thing that you said. Science is doing its job and it is doing science.
Speaker 1: But that's funny you say that, like the whole you just said, you know, this is this is this article it says there's a scientific reason. Then you're like, hang on a minute, everyone I've dated.
Speaker 2: Look like my brother, well everybody, actually, nobody I've dated has looked like my brother. But everybody I've dated has kind of looked like myself, which I think is way more problematic than dating someone who you look like you're related to. The thing is you don't look.
Speaker 1: At you and Matt and think that you look the same. But if you did take a step back and look, you're like, okay, I can see similarities, Like, yes, there could be a relation.
Speaker 2: Well okay. This has always been something that's floated around the nether like. People have made the comment and this is not about me specifically, but people have made the comment that often we were attracted to people who look similar to us, or people will end up dating people who look almost the saint. I mean, look at the couple who are on Mass at the moment, who literally look like they could be related. Yeah, and remember you, I don't watch maths, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: But remember there was this big thing or the life is a remember, but there was that big thing that everyone said that I was dating.
Speaker 2: Jordan and Jordan looked like you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Remember they did it. They did a comparison and they put a beard on me.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you're the person I see the most of my life and I started dating you, like, maybe there is something to us.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I wanted to break down some of the reasons that psychology today has given as to why we are attracted to people who look similar to us. Yeah, now, straight off the back one of them. I mean, and this is pretty obvious. I think it's called a group biases. So the reason for this is that we attracted to people who are of similar race to us, So like the same race, were attracted to people who are from our own communities who look similar to us in that vein. I think that this one, though, is a bit more self explanatory because often we live in communities where, say, if you're Anglo Saxon, you live with Anglo Saxon people within Australia. Yeah, that's a blanket statement totally. People who are Latino often end up dating Latinos, not just because you live around each other, but because all your close networks, your friends, your families. You know, often the people who are surrounded by you and in your communities are of a similar race, just by circumstance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whereas I was always like a fly to a flame.
Speaker 2: What's that thing that's not it? I'm to a fly to a one day old pizza.
Speaker 1: I was like a flagal pizza.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I was a fly to a pizza with people that couldn't be more different to me. So maybe I would lay outside the box. But everyone I know that is a thing. Yeah, people are attracted to people that are very similar to them.
Speaker 2: So there's another thing called implicit egotism. Sid that break that down for us. Implicit egotism is kind of that we are attracted to people who look similar to us because we like to see ourselves reflected back in that other person, which sounds so monumentally fucked. That's where the eco part comes in. But there was a research study that was done and basically they used AI to morph the face, so they gave like they did tests, right, they gave all these different facial options, and the facial option that the person the participant found the most attractive was the person who had at least twenty percent of their own facial features morphed onto it. So that's great. We always say you need to love yourself, you need to look in the mirror and be like, you are beautiful. You can do this, so okay. The thing that's interesting about this though, is that it would almost imply that we should then be attracted to our siblings, if that's the case. But it's like people in this study were attracted to people who looked like them, not evenly, just looked like them, like had physical features that were identical to theirs because of this AI technology. But as soon as that research group were told that they were doing a study on incest, they instantly found those people not attractive. So like when they were shown other options that had that twenty percent phase morph. It's not about like wanting to date your brother. It's just about that we like to see things mirrored back because that's a face or a feature that we have become so familiar with, you know, it's a feature that looks safe to us, not just from an egotistical point of view. Well, I think that.
Speaker 1: Leans into the fact why they say a lot of women date men or look for men with characteristics of their dad. And now obviously that's not everyone, but a lot of women seek out somebody and it's not because they look like their dad, but it's because they have this close relationship with the dad.
Speaker 2: They usually would like have a level.
Speaker 1: Of respect and love, and they seek out someone that has these daddy values. But it's not this weird daddy issues thing. It's just that, like, so, I know I would do it because I love the way my dad's morals and I love the way he goes about his life, his work and his family and is so I've always sought out someone that has that. And it's been a problem in the past. People have been like, I'm not your dad, and I'm like, well, yeah, should be, because my dad would never say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well this is this is actually one of them, is that we are attracted to people who if not reflecting ourselves back who reflect our parents if we have healthy attachment relationships with our parents, which kind of sounds like some sort of messed up Freudian situation where you know, boys want to date their mummies and we want to date that our daddies, which also is weird because people say that I am kind of similar to Matt's mum, so like I'm having a hand.
Speaker 1: Are you his sister or his mum?
Speaker 2: I'm definitely not a silt. We look very different. I think I'm more Matt's mum than I am his sister, which is kind of weird, but anyway, we can kind of move past that. But it's totally a thing where if you have a strong emotional connection to your parents and they've laid that blueprint for like what a healthy relationship should be, then we tend to seek out people who are similar and maybe even look similar to our parents as well. Yeah weird, I'm about that anything else? Yeah, okay. So one of the other ones I thought was really interesting is there's another thing called game theory, which I think makes total sense because when you think people date of all different levels of hotness. Okay, hear me out here, So theoretically, there are the hottest peaceeople in society, and then there are less hot people as it kind of goes on, Right, But people seem to date other people who match their level of hotness. Right. Someone has actually done a research study into this, and the reason behind it is because it's kind of like the top of the food chain. If everybody went for the hottest person, the option would be so minimal, like there was not that many people to choose from, So we tend to go for people who are like for like, we tend to date people or be attracted to people who look similar to us in terms of our social or theoretical hotness, if that makes sense. It's funny you say that except for some men who have inflated self egos and date really hot chicks.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to speak on behalf of like a group of my friends. We've had these conversations many times when we're online dating. Right, A lot of my friends have said that they were like, they'll look at someone and I'll say I would never swipe them, or I'd never ask them out. I would say why and they're like, they're too hot. They're like, I wouldn't want to date someone that good looking. And there's a real general consensus that a lot of women on a date somebody that they think is less attractive but like personality, funny in everything, but less attractive because they don't feel as attractive when they're with someone that's hotter.
Speaker 2: And this is not like a one off.
Speaker 1: I have had so many friends say that, oh he's too he's too ripped, like he's too hot. I would just feel like inadequate next to him. And I find that really interesting because I've always shot my shot way higher.
Speaker 2: I've always gone.
Speaker 1: I was like, I ain't got nothing to lose, because what are they gonna do?
Speaker 2: Say no? Like if I could go for that ten, I'm gonna try.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I am. I completely agree with the general consensus of other women. Like I mean, I think Matt is like a very very attractive man. Would I have sought him out had we met in a different circumstance, probably not, or had I met him on a dating side or something. I don't think I would have thought that we would have been compatible. And maybe that makes me seem like I have a low self esteem, but I don't. It doesn't come down to self esteem for me. What it comes down to, is this assumption that really hot people will be arrogant, or they'll know that they're hot, or they won't be as funny, or because they've been so good looking, they haven't had to work on their personality. So I guess I have had this like bias towards really hot people in the past, and they haven't been the people that I've been attracted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but mine's also not about the way I view myself because I'm not a ten.
Speaker 2: I know that I know are a ten. Shut up. No, No, that's annoying. Everyone listening to this is annoyed by that. But listen.
Speaker 1: My point is I don't do it because I think I'm hot. I do it because if there's a chance I could bang Brad Pitt, I'm gonna take it, like because if you're not scared of failure, it doesn't matter like failure, No, And I'm not scared of failure. So I think if Brad Pitt's there, right, and this has happened, Remember Channing Tatum. I saw him on RAYA. I super liked this shit out of Channing ten, which.
Speaker 2: Was embarrassing because you kept super liking him and he was like go away. Well yeah, well I was like, maybe got lost in the mail. I don't know. I'm I still do it again.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just wind it back. I super liked him twice for a long time. That is, that is a lot of super liking.
Speaker 2: If any guys super me twice, I'd be like, slow down, buddy, I got it the first time, and I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: My boy me is like, I've dated all different people that look all different ways, but I just think it's not because I think I deserve it and I'm hot, but I'm like, if there's any chance that I could go to bed with prep?
Speaker 2: Okay. The last one I want to talk to you about is something called empathetic mimicking. Right, So apparently this means that sometimes we will date someone who doesn't actually look like us, but over time, because you spend so much time together, because you start to like the same things, because like your interests start to merch you literally, yeah, and I'm looking at you, Brittany Hockley. You literally start to look like your partner because you are morphing into them because of similar like similar everything. You start wearing their clothes. Yeah, fuck, I went into BRIT's house the other day and she had a fucking football jersey hanging up in the bathroom, and I was like, Oh, here we go. It's empathetic mimicking happening. She's turning into bed. I don't hang on a minute.
Speaker 1: I don't actually wear that as my fashion.
Speaker 2: I do. Okay, you say this, nut nap. I will put money on the fact that in at least six months time, you'll forget this conversation. You will upload a storage Instagram and you will be out going for a fucking walk. You'll be going out to lunch and you'll be wearing a football jersey. Go do it, money, I'm gonna do money. I'm gonna do it tomorrow. Money on the table. Let's get okay, let's move all right. Well, you have a couple of absolutely freaking hilarious stories that have come in, and there was one that I wanted to read to you guys straight off the bat, because holy dick, this is great. We did a call out a couple of weeks ago for some dating disaster stories, and now we've all got a dating disaster story. But this one truly hit home. I went on a date with a fireman who bragged about taking me for a spin in his fire truck after dinner. When we got to the fire station, he made a big deal about it, and he lifted me up into the truck and he put a fireman hat on my head and told me I could ring the sirens. He then went back to the truck, reversed about three meters, and then drove it forward again back into the station, and he turned to me and said, so, how was that. I thought he was kidding, so I started to laugh, but then he turned off the ignition and he got out. He genuinely thought that the three meter reverse in his truck was taking me for a spin. I feel like he has had so many small children that he's had like been like this is how we do it, and he kind of is infantizing women. Also how patronizing he is, but like I'll lift you up, like you can't get the truck your old child, and do you want to ring the bell?
Speaker 1: Like I'm sorry, I'd be hot out of there.
Speaker 2: If anything's going to keep your pennies on, it's a man who says, put my little hat on, ring the.
Speaker 1: Bell, sweetie, Like, where's the part where you take your shirt off and hoe yourself down and we take a calendar picture, like he just went from being like a hot fireman to being a daddy all of a sudden. That which with some people that might actually get them off, but you know what, not this person.
Speaker 2: I'm just not.
Speaker 1: Sure when that ever worked for him, though.
Speaker 2: Maybe that has in the past.
Speaker 1: And therefore, what grown woman is going to get off on a firetruck?
Speaker 2: Okay? Do you know what this makes me think? Though? It makes me think that he was like, I'm going to take you for a spin in my fire truck. But legally he's actually not allowed to take the fire truck out, so that's why he drove it down them for driveway and back.
Speaker 1: Arackon, he's just a volunteer and he's probably stolen the keys.
Speaker 2: He's not even out in it. That's what I reckon. Okay.
Speaker 1: My one is we got sent in a screenshot. We got sent in a dating profile screenshot, and there's a picture of two women having a drink, two friends obviously, and he has written to her and said I'm changing the names. He's written to her and said, hey, Sarah is your friend in the pick single because she looks nice. So he's added Sarah and matched and then asked about the friend in the picture.
Speaker 2: Good game good. I've wanted to do that before. I mean, I think that this is shows you that you can. Will it be a successful outcome? Absolutely not, but it's going to show your shot.
Speaker 1: Actually I just said, no, you can't, but can you?
Speaker 2: Maybe you care? It's very offensive. It's never gonna go down well. But I feel like that this is not an uncommon thing for people who are on dating apps. How often is it that you match with someone and then you find out that the person you match with isn't the one that you thought was hot in the pictures, It was their friend And did you want a message to them and say, hey, who's your friend? Yes?
Speaker 1: So I've done it multiple times where I've seen someone and I know they're the main person, and I'm like, I don't want to match with you, but god, I want to know your friend and you can't.
Speaker 2: So then you go onto their Instagram and you stalk them to try and find who their friend is.
Speaker 1: It only works if they've linked their Instagram like otherwise there's absolutely no way to do it. So I don't know if what if that person could be the love of your life. Do you match like Shane did? Do you match and shoot your shot with a friend. It is very offensive because if you've matched, that girl has said like, I'm choosing you, but you're choosing there choosing my friend and then as a friend.
Speaker 2: Do you cock blocker? Cock block? Do you say fuck you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Or do you link them up?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You don't, no question? Now you cock block? You don't? Like you know, don't. You're not a dating app for your friends. You're not there facilitating your friend's dating. You're there for yourself and yourself only.
Speaker 1: Okay, if this has ever happened to anyone, please write in if you've ever met up.
Speaker 2: Keisha's in the corner saying all she does is facilitate Brits dating.
Speaker 1: Oh please, I facilitate her dating.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into the chat with Kelsey. The film called The Volcano Rescue from Forkari is currently on Netflix and it documents the White Island disaster. On the ninth of December in twenty nineteen, forty seven people were on Forkari when it erupted. It killed twenty two people and it injured twenty five others, with the majority suffering from severe burns.
Speaker 1: It was a beautiful day. You could fill the heat from the volcano.
Speaker 4: From a description, it was an icy, easy height. They didn't make it sound dangerous.
Speaker 3: I knew what could happen out there, but you don't believe it will happen.
Speaker 4: Right, I thought, this is it. We're going to die on her honeymoon.
Speaker 1: I heard the call, there's people on the island and she's erupting.
Speaker 3: The hate alone, it's just unbearable. The burns went through all my clothes. I fear dealing with people who are going to die within the next hour of.
Speaker 4: Sils or stuff.
Speaker 2: At this stage, it is too dangerous for police and rescue services to go to the island of the authority.
Speaker 4: See, they're on your eyes.
Speaker 2: An eruption that lasted two minutes but has had consequences that will last forever. Joining us today is survivor Kelsey Waghorn. Kelsey, we are so grateful for you giving your time to us today.
Speaker 3: Hello, No, it's it's pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: What was it like for you watching back that documentary?
Speaker 3: It was a bit weird. Yeah. Every time I see or hear something about it, it's always just a bit weird. And it's like even the footage, Like I still see the footage and there's a big part of me that always just goes, there's no way anyone walked off their island, and then it's like I did.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what we thought when we watched it.
Speaker 3: It's just really weird, Like even the first time I saw any of the footage, it was like, no, there's no way that's what happened, Like, how could anyone have walked off that? And it's like you walked off that? Yeah, I guess It's just one of those things that's just so big it's kind of about hard to write. You hit around.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit about what you were doing, because you worked with the tour company that was bringing people onto the island. Can you talk through what your role was and what it was like on the island that day.
Speaker 3: It was just a normal tour, So we would just do the toers of the and a crater and it was just normal up until the second that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: How long had you been working as a tour guide for at this.
Speaker 3: Point five years and one day one day?
Speaker 2: What an anniversary?
Speaker 3: Literally one day too long?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Wow, did you just feel like every day was the same every tour you did. I guess after five years you get a level of comfort because you've done it so many times.
Speaker 2: In safety.
Speaker 1: Was there a part of you that thought nothing's ever going to happen to me, like I feel very comfortable and very safe doing this, or was there always this tiny part in the back of your head that thought, this is an active volcano, something could happen one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess a better both. Like I was under no allusions as to what their island could do, like that was part of the tour. We talked about what happens interruptions sort of thing. So I knew what it could do, and I knew the likelihood of getting off if it did what it did that day was slim to none. So yeah, I mean I knew, I knew what it could do, but I just never believe that it would actually do it the way that it did it, I suppose, which maybe is naive or stupid, but yeah, I mean I wouldn't have been there obviously if I thought that anything bad was going to happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the things from watching the documentary that was so hard to process was this idea that there's different stages of volcano, like there's a dormant volcano, a volcano that's active, and then a volcano that's literally erupting. It almost felt like as if you are I was like, where are the where's the in between stages as to what the volcano was doing or was there any indication that you know of that things maybe were more active or is it? Honestly, I mean, I guess with the volcano, it's one of these things where it is so unpredictable and you're putting your hands in the mercy of mother nature.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean for me, it's like I know I could get in a car crash every time I could get in my car, but it doesn't stop me getting my car. A reader, you kind of just go, yep, I accept that risk because the risk is low. And so I mean, for me, that's exactly what it was. It's like swimming in the ocean. You know that there's with his sharks, or could drown, or you hd caught in a rip, like there's so many things that could happen, And for me, it was just one of those things where it's like I understand the risks. I upset the resk because I genuinely don't believe that I'm going to be the one that gets caught out by it, but I mean, I guess at some point someone has to be the one, and unfortunately that was us that day.
Speaker 2: Can you talk me through that day?
Speaker 3: For you?
Speaker 2: A standard day of taking people onto the island and showing them what is just the most beautiful thing to view. And I think that that was one of the things that was so incredible watching it. It is otherworldly being on this island. What was that daylight for you? Where were you in terms of taking your tour through the island.
Speaker 3: So I've now separated from the guy I was seeing at the time, and I'd actually posted a video of being on the farm that afternoon. Actually, a lot of friends and family didn't think that I was on the island. They thought I was out on the farm, and so they're like, cool, she's safe. But yeah, I mean I came in and it was normal day. We loaded the boat up, we headed out to the island. We did eighty percent of the tour, and then we turned around and it was erupting. So there was no solent boom or what you kind of think there would be. So it just yeah, was kicking off when we realized.
Speaker 1: So you were on the way back, you were almost back to the boat when this happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'd been to the crater and we were making our way back to the wharf.
Speaker 2: And how long?
Speaker 1: Like what was it like when you just said it wasn't a typical bang, Like you know, you sit here as a viewer or someone that has no experience, and you think, okay, when a volcano erupts, it's like the TV.
Speaker 2: It's very cliche. It's like a movie.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, you hear this a big eruption and then lava paus out and then there's smoke, And what was it actually like? And once it started happening, when was the moment where you were like, holy moly, this is an actual eruption. This is not just a bit of smoke a bit of bash, Like this is happening.
Speaker 3: Immediately, I suppose would be the quick answer, Yeah, because I actually had my back to it whenever I started realizing, because I was just my talk as I always did, and it wasn't until be able sort of every all at the same time realized what was going on, and so we basically hit it for cover straight away, and I kind of in my head as we were like moving for cover. I remember thinking at the time, I just like having this little chuckle in my head because it was like this is like I drilled and it was just like running along just like having a little laugh in my head because I don't know, my brain just works in a weird way. Then when we saw the paracastic flow, when I saw the paracoystic flow, it was like, Okay, well that's us then, because I know the likelihood of surviving that is, and so it was kind of just like, oh, well that's us, Like I don't what else can I do? You can't fight mother nature when you're in the middle of it like that. So it was just like shitty things to try and have to accept in the moment.
Speaker 2: Kelsey, when you say that it's almost unbelievable to think that you have this moment in life where you're life that's it. I have to accept the fact that I'm not going to be here and here you are not just I mean you're not just here. You're thriving. And one of the things that I loved seeing on the documentary is just what an incredibly positive force you are off the back end of this. But what's that moment like where you go, fuck, like I could die on this island. Is there the fight in you to be like no, this is not the place and this is not how or did you in that moment feel like you had to just be relinquished to what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was definitely a kind of matter of just like, well, I know scientifically what the odds are of one of us getting off, So it was like, well, yeah, it was just one of those kind of white flag moments where you just kind of accept it. Didn't want to accept it obviously, and it was kind of a bit weird, but then obviously popped out the other side and it was like, okay, now, what we didn't have like lava flows or anything like that, which I suppose on one sense is good. What was coming out of the island was what burnt us. So it was rather than thermal burns, it was more or less, I guess all of the burns were chemical, so it was kind of like acid and alkali burns, which in one sense sounds worse, but it actually meant like for me, especially like I literally have my uniform burnt in me for life now, So like it was just all skin that was exposed got burnt for me because I didn't move, I just basically fetal positioned and was just like, well, that's it. Yeah, it was just exposed skin that got burnt. So that was kind of a blessing in a weird kind of way because it meant that obviously it saved a lot of skin. If it had been thermal burns, then we possibly would have been worse off.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about, if anything, the smells and the fields and the sight. So I guess for someone sitting at home now that hasn't watched it, that's listening, what was the order of how things happened? Because we do see complete blackness take hold. I can't imagine what you were smelling and hearing, how loud it was.
Speaker 3: I don't remember smell. That's probably the one thing I don't remember. But then again, I'm so used to the island because I've been there. I must have done about nine hundred odds. TiO was there, so it's not like it was a rat. It wasn't a new smell to me, so I don't remember that. And then obviously, like through the paraclastic flow. Couldn't see anything because it was just black. But I remember hearing everything, and I find now that audio is something that will set me off quite easily. So there's been a few things that have been like sounds that have set me off in the last kind of three years. I suppose sound is quite hard. Initially, it felt like for me, it was like standing on a beach on a really hot day and on a really windy hot day, and so it was just like you could feel all the like sand and like small gravel and like everything like hitting you and bouncing off you, and it was just really warm. And I say really warm. It was pretty hot. That's the only way I can think of to describe it, becau otherwise I don't really know how to put that into words. And then obviously the burns I'm not even going to dry. But yeah, it was I remember everything, unfortunately or fortunately as well, because it's like there's no question for me, it's what happened, So it's not like I woke up, Oh my dog's just bursting.
Speaker 2: That's okay, we're pro dog here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so remember it all, which is good in a sense because it means that there's no question, Like I woke up from my coma and remembered it all when basically recited it all to my family immediately, and they're all like, oh, okay, we weren't expecting you'd better remember any of that.
Speaker 2: But good not focusing on what happened on the island. But I think the really powerful part of this is actually how you were all rescued and how you managed to get off the island. What was that process for you? Like, were you somebody who was taken onto the boat? Were you helicoptered out of there once everything had subsided and it was then a rescue mission? What were those moments like for you?
Speaker 3: Pretty full on. So we walked off the island and my group I yeh led off the island and we got to the wharf and my colleagues basically came back and packed me out because the boat I came out and got hit so that was out of water for that moment. So my colleagues came and packed us up and put us on Phoenix, which is the boat that had people are not already who had just left the island. So we came home on that. It was the longest hour of my life. Yeah, that two minutes felt like a really long time, but that hour was just a fellow days and it was just like I didn't feel like we were doing any close to the mainland. We made it back to the shore and we were well, my brain set's sort of get a bit patchy here. But we got put into ambulances and taken to fucking Signi Hospital where they did all our initial triage. I suppose think kre trying to get our pain out of control and just trying to like triage us to ship us off to the burns units around New Zealand, and so we got shipped out within I think it was within twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: The last one was gone on the boat ride home, because you just said it was the longest hour of your life. But there's a moment in the documentary where when you land, you say the ambulance is there, and it was triage and it was chaos. Everyone was there, But there was a moment where you saw your family members. I think it was your mum and your sister, and you said, I saw my family there and I didn't want them to see me like this. So I can't even imagine when you're going through what you're going through in the feeling, but you still had enough in you to worry about your family. Is this a way that you're my body started to cope with the trauma and the pain. I guess I'm just so interested in the psychology and what was happening in your mind at that time.
Speaker 3: I think the adrenaline well and truly worn off by that point, because Yeah, as we got to the wharf, like I couldn't see the group behind me, and I was adamant that I was going to go back and find my friend Hayden, who was leading the other group. So I was going to go back, but the adrenaline wore off pretty quickly and there was no way that I could go back. Then at the wharf, as we pulled into all the help, Yeah, I just remember seeing my mum and my sister and I was like looking at my hands and I'm like, no, they don't need to see this. Like this was pretty grim. And so I said to one of the crew that was working on the BI I just said, I need to get off this boat, and she's just like, yeah, just give us a minute. And I was like no, no, I'm out of here, mate, And I just like stood up and I couldn't straighten my legs. I was kind of like quasi moto, just like oh, lamb it off the boat like some sort of like yeah, it was a bit of a mess. I went to the front of the boat because they were sort of towards the back of the boat, and I was just like, I'm not going that way. And so I actually ended up having to be lifted off the front of the boat by this crew and her dad and try not to like scream as they like pushed me up. And then it was just like hobbled over to an ambulance and she helped me get into an ambulance, and yeah, then things get a bit messy for me there, because yeah, we had a couple of paramedics come out and made us on the boat, and so I think I had stuff shoved up my nose for the pain, and so she obviously gave me so much that my brain sort of like got a bit fuzzy there.
Speaker 2: Do you know at this point, I mean, I know it's not something that you would have found out until later, but what percentage burns to your body? Did you experience.
Speaker 3: Forty five percent full thickness burned to my body. So it was pretty much from my shorts line to my boot line, fingertips to t shirt line, my lower background onto my stomach got burnt because when I was crashed out, my shirt must have rolled up and so you exposed all my lower back and then I do kind of have a little bit of like burns on my neck and face and everything. But yeah, I've got like fairly lumpy legs, now fairly lumpy limbs because there's like bits of muscle that had to be cut out and stuffy that because as it was acid, it just kept burning until it was removed. Even though we came back on the boat and we were getting dust with water, it wasn't constant water like you know, when you get a chemical burn, you're supposed to like flush it for twenty minutes straight. Like we didn't get that because they didn't have the capacity of to do that on the boat, which I mean, that's not their fault, that's just the way it was. Basically, we got to hospital and I've heard I don't know if it was true or not, but I've heard a lot of stories, but one of them was that they debrided us. So basically cleared off all the burnt material and then we'll go back the next day to check how we were doing. And it was like it was still burning and so that it wasn't until they realized what had actually burnt us, that it wasn't therm or it was chemical, that they actually like, oh okay, we need to remove more. So they went a bit deeper and yeah, so missing a bit of muscle and all sorts of other tissue.
Speaker 2: Kelsey, you said something just before, and I wonder if because it was your job as being a tour guide, did you feel a sense of responsibility, like for the people that you were on tour with. And I don't mean a responsibility as though you're responsible for what happened. I made a responsibility for trying to help, and you know when you're in a situation where you need to be helped. But you mentioned that you were thinking you wanted to go back and find your friend Hayden. Was this something that you think came as part of the fact that you were a tour guide or was it simply that you had these beautiful connections and friendships with people who were also on the island that were experiencing the same thing you're experiencing.
Speaker 3: I guess both. And for me, obviously, I didn't really understand that really what had happened, I suppose until like a few months later, because it was kind of like for me, it was like, well, if we survived, everyone survived. So it took a long time before I actually realized that this wasn't the case. And a lot of that was actually due to the fact I was on so much medication. It was basically would have been like fifty first dates. I would have had to have been told every single day because I just would have forgotten. So the choice was made to basically keep that from me until I was on lower dose of medication and could hold a thought. So I didn't find out about the kind of severity of it all until weeks after.
Speaker 2: Did Hayden make it through?
Speaker 3: No? No, so Hayden. Yeah, Hayden didn't make it off the island, and he is one of the two that actually, yeah, never came home.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, Kelsey. Yeah, it's so incredible that you're here to tell your story, But then there is such a side of your story that is there was so much loss. There are so many people on the island who didn't make at home, and yeah, you know, even in watching the documentary, there are people whose whole families who were on that island, and you know you almost kind of think like, well, why did I survive and somebody else wasn't able to? How was your recovery once you got to a point where you came out of your coma where you understood the magnitude of what happened not just to you, but to the people who were on the island who were your friends, and to the people who are on the island as customers wanting to experience the world. How was your recovery after that point?
Speaker 3: It was pretty rough, Like it was pretty horrible to hear, Yeah, what had actually happened and unfolded after we lived? Because yeah, I kind of, just, like I said, assumed that because we'd survived, everyone had I been. That made sense to me. It was like, well, we weren't supposed to anyway, so if we have, they have, so Yeah. Once I kind of found out, it was a pretty hard pell swallow. And I was banned from watching the TV in my hospital room because it was just all over the news, Like in New Zealand, I think it was on the news for like pretty much three months straight. It was just in every single headline, and because it was really early days, especially only three weeks after, there was still a lot of false information coming out as well about what had happened, and yeah, allus of stuff like there's things that I've read and it just yeah, it just makes my blood boiled. But it was pretty rough to find that out and then be like, well, why am I still here? That doesn't make any sense of all the people to make it off, like Hayden trained me like, so to me, that was a very hard pell to swallow. So even now, like I have said, I still say, I still expect to get a text from him sometimes because I wasn't here for that whole blo. I wasn't home for three months. I was kind of removed from all of that. So I wasn't here for his memorial. I wasn't here when they were trying to find his body. So for me, that hasn't had So there's kind of like this weird gap where like, I know what's real. I know that he didn't make it off, but then there's like this weird gap where it's like, but I didn't go to his funeral, and I didn't hear all this stuff. It's just as far as I'm concerned or hearsay, So there's kind of a bit of distance there where it kind of just doesn't feel real. I mean, the whole thing is a bit in that category really, because it's just so wild.
Speaker 2: It's almost like beyond human comprehension, you know, And I think, like so much we talk about the physical side of it, like we can talk about the physical side of your recovery, or we can talk about the physical side of the impact and the trauma and the burns, But there's the whole other side of this, which is like the mental healing, Like how do you go through an experience like this and still remain positive on the other side of it.
Speaker 3: I Mean, I've said quite a bit over the last especially the last year, like I would much rather be burned again than have PTSD, Like it's just horrific. Like I thought the physical stuff when I was in hospital was the worst that could ever get because it was pretty pretty horrible because I had to relearn how to use my arms my hands, and relearn how to walk and even just like teach my body how to stand up again or sit up again and like you had my blood pressure stable and stuff like that. So I didn't ever think that I would be saying that I would rather go through all that again than have PTSD. But yeah, like it's just the mental side is so much harder than the physical side, the physical sides of walking the park being to the mental side, and there's such a stigma around all the mental side of it as well, where it's just like people can't see it and they don't understand it. And admittedly I didn't understand it up until recently either, because it took a long time to find the help that I actually needed and the help that actually worked for me. So it took me two and a half years to actually find that help.
Speaker 2: What did that help look like?
Speaker 3: So I had to change psychologists to someone who was actually far more better equipped to deal with PTSD. So yeah, I had to change that in the middle of last year because I just needed their extra help. Like I've tried hypnotherapy, I've tried EMD, god, you name it, I've probably tried it. I ended up getting in touch with a she's like a trauma focused well being coach, which sounded very airy fairy, but last year was really rough for me, and it was like, I'll bloody try anything at this point, Like give me a lobotomy, I'll do it.
Speaker 2: You're like, I will be an experiment taken out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like desperate times, desperate missious. So she's probably been the biggest turning point for me, and yeah, getting my shit together and trying to deal with everything.
Speaker 2: How did the PTSD present itself for you? Like what were you managing with?
Speaker 3: Oh? I was blessed with all the symptoms, so if you google it, it's like you name it. I had a hypervigilance, Like I was just always on the edge. I was always prepared for something to go wrong. Anger. I really struggled with my anger, especially last year. It just really rammed up a notch for the first six months. Yeah, so it was pretty grim. And then just like I just cried at the drop of her hat over something really not worthy crying of.
Speaker 1: When you say hypervigilance, that you were always thinking something was gonna go wrong, do you mean literally day to day, Like you didn't want to get in a car because you thought they'd be a crash, or you didn't want to fly somewhere because you thought the plane would like what does a hyper vigilance on a day to day look like?
Speaker 3: For me? It was like I would always sit where I could see the door, so it was like I'd have to know my way out, and it was like people walking towards me, It's like, are they going to attack me? I couldn't walk with anyone behind me, And it was just fear, just so much fear and just terrified of everything, and like it's so hard to just live a normal life like that, Like you don't have a normal life with that. It's so hard. And like even though people were like, know what you've been through, no one actually knows really what I've been through. And like even with my family and friends, I haven't described everything to them because it's like it traumatizes it, Like I don't want to traumatize you, and like I know how much it's traumatized me, And like it's only been in the last seven months that I've actually understood what's actually been going on in my brain and why it's happening in the way that it's happening. The new site that I have and this well being coach that I have, both of them right back to basics, this is why havings with PTSD, this is why everything coming up. So your fear, your hypervigilance, your anger, that's all just the symptom. It's not the cause, it's not what's the problem. So it's going back and stripping back the layers to actually figure out what's setting that off in that situation. And it's like, Okay, there's your work, and it's just like, oh my god, that makes so much sense. And even that, it's like it just feels like you're not stabbing around in the dark just trying to like get anything. So even just the understanding and their knowledge is just massive. It's such a big, big feeling to actually know what's going on in your own brain. Then you've got the whole recovery on top of it, Like burns recovery is just horrible. So I actually have people like reach out to me over like Instagram and stuff being like, oh, look, I have burns five, ten, twenty years ago. Just know that everything you're going through is normal and like you're going to have all these feelings and like these weird things are going to happen and weird feelings in your body, which is massive. That was huge, like for my physical recovery or that was massive, but then the mental recovery. It's like no one talks about PTSD. No one has the same PTSD, like no one's brain has triggered in the same way, and so it's just like all of a sudden, your family doesn't know what's going on. Yeah, my now ex didn't know what was going on. I've lost friends, I've lost my partner, and I've just like lost all the stuff because of it because it just got too big, too heavy, and I tried all these things and none of them were working. People just can't handle it. And it's like fair enough because I want to walk away. I want to check out because I'm done with this. And it's like but I can't walk away from it. I'm just sick of healing and trying to recover and just like trying to explain this to people and just having no one get it and no one understands, no one can help, and it's just like this just sucks. Unfortunately, it took a break up with the partner last year that they basically just go, Okay, you have to find something. There's got to be something, And yeah, thankfully changed my sight found this well being coach, and thankfully it's working for me.
Speaker 2: In terms of where you're at now, I mean seven months of rehabilitation, that seems to be rehabilitation that's working for you. And this also goes to show like that if you are in the healthcare system, if you are receiving care and it's not working, like changing is so important and getting second opinions, and you know, advocating your own not just your physical health, but your mental health is so important because nobody else knows and understands you as well as you know and understand yourself. I hate to make you talk about when you're at your darkest days, but do you think you're now at a point where you can see the light?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do. I've made some really good friends, Like we just became best mates at pretty much overnight. It was just the weirdest thing, but most brilliant thing. They get it. They totally get it, and they don't judge me for it, and they just accept me totally as is. They don't make me feel bad when I have a blow up or something's going on, and they're just like, look, it's fine, like of course this is happening, and They're just like so understanding and like that's massive for them. I know it's a lot of work, like should it's a lot of work for me, but I kind of know what's going on now. So their understanding and that patience is just massive in those friends, and I'm so grateful for them. And then the help that I'm getting is just so good and it's finally just making me feel like I'm not insane. Yeah. No, I'm probably in the best place mentally that I've possibly ever been. It's so nice to feel.
Speaker 2: Which is so nice to hear when you say that. Do you mean pre the accident as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's been a hell of a long road to get here, and it's been a hell of a lot of work, like blood sweat in tears literally, but yeah, like I just feel calmer. I just feel clearer, basically all the good.
Speaker 2: Shit, Kelsey, what's your relationship Like, I mean, obviously, experiencing physical burns that changes your body. You spoke about the operations, you spoke about having pieces of your calves removed and the physical burns that you have. How does that change your relationship with your body?
Speaker 3: It took a couple of bunths a meter. I guess totally accept what my new normal was. But then again that normal and hospital is totally different now because when I first saw my arms and my hands, which is the parts first after grafting, it looked like they put like the Walking Dead's arms on to me. And it was just like, what are those? What have you done to my arms? They were black, and they were just like so swollen, and my nails were all like not good, and I was so so gross, like it was just like so fig and like they were hyper sensitive as well, and I had to have all this like moisturizer pumped onto me many times a day. I remember one day in particular, my family was doing my arms and my legs at the same time because my nerves had all been obviously fried. It was just information overload and I just panicked and I was just like, get off me, stop touching meatlus like one at a time, don't touch me. And so it was a lot to sort of taken that way. When I finally actually looked at my arms, finally started accepting those because I was like, well, it's stuck to my body, so I'm kind of stuck with them, and I better get used to them. So I was like, I just like wait untill my family left the room, and they just stare at them and like wig all my fingers a little bit and be like, oh my god, they're mine. And then when I saw my legs, I just burst into tears because I don't I can't remember my legs being sore or feeling them burning or anything. I just I don't remember my legs. I just remember my arms in my hands. And then I saw my legs and it was just like black and purple salami. And I was just like, oh, not again. And so I had to like learn to I live with that. And then once I started walking again, every time i'd stand up because my body was used to being horizontal, because I've been horizontal for six weeks by this point, I'd stand up and my blood would all just pull and my feet in my hands, and so it took a few months for that to sort of stopped happening. And then even then, I remember faces from the island as well, and I remember thinking, oh my god, like my face mustle quite that as well. So for months I wouldn't look at my face and I hadn't seen my reflection. Probably before it must have been the second to last week of January in twenty twenty. I had just started learning how to walk, and I was having my little lunch break where it was like two hours where I could just have a sleep, and I was just like, I need to see my face and I want to do it alone. And so I was really bad. I got out of bed and I was still like leading assistance, but I'm out of here. I need to see my face and I want to do it alone. I just wanted to do this on my own. And everyone was like, oh, bring a mirror, and I said, don't you bloody deare and because people were coming and they'd be like, your face looks really good. Your face looks really really good. And I was like, what is wrong with my face? Like everyone keept mentioning my face and it was just like what's happened to it? And so I basically slithered out of bed and t Rex walked over to the bathroom and managed to open the door. And I walked into the bathroom and I looked at my face and it was like oh, and then I actually went back to bed. Yeah. I was just like, oh, okay, that's disappointing, I suppose, well, not disappointed. I was like quite pleased, but it was just like I was so underwhelming for what I've been building up in my head. Yeah, it was just like, oh, I still look like me, that's okay. Once I sort of started getting back on Instagram, so many people message me and they'd be like, why is your face not burnt? Why's your face not burnt?
Speaker 1: And it was like sorry people wrote that, Oh.
Speaker 3: I've had some weird shits into me. It was so weird.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Sometimes I hate social media, Like, who in their right mind would think that that is okay to message somebody at any stage of life, but someone that's going through what you've just gone through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's so weird. Like, thankfully I've just seen the funny side. And like that's been just one of many really weird messages that I've screenshotted and send to my friends and I'm like, look another one, and they're like, what, at least you can.
Speaker 1: Laugh about it, though, But it's lucky that you can.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I'm lucky that I'm in a place where I just find all those messages. Yeah, quite funny and like even since, like the documentary came out, obviously it's been a bit of an influx on the old Instagram and some of those message like some of them are just like lost in translation. It's like, I know what you're trying to say, but that's not what it's come across as. And then some of them you're just like what is going through your head? Like someone said, of all the people, you're my favorite survivor, and it was like, thank you.
Speaker 2: This is not a reality TV show. But also I think this is the issue on one side of the coin with documentaries. It's amazing that we're able to see and understand what happened and understand the magnitude, and I think that that gives some people, even maybe people in your own life, clarity around something that you experienced. But it also I say this because you know, we have spoken to many people who have been parts of documentaries but almost characterizes what happened as well. It's like you are one of many people who are telling their version of the story, and people watch it and they sometimes forget that you're a real person, that you're not that person who is just on the documentary, and that even speaking to today, you know that Kelsey on the documentary is and know that that is a part of who you are. This like very recovered in a lot of ways, very positive, has this bright outlook on what has happened, whereas, like you know, having a more in depth conversation with you, there is way more color as to how this has deeply changed you as a person and how this will forever be part of your story. One question that I have for you, I don't want this to be taken the wrong way because I don't think that you can ever be grateful for a situation like that happening. But do you feel as a survivor, do you feel grateful?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like there's a lot of stuff that I have in my life now, People that I wouldn't try the world in my life now they have only come about and I've only met because of what happened. So in that sense, yeah, I'm grateful that my wildlife has brought me the people that I have in my life now because I can't imagine life without them, and unfortunately, I don't know if favor would have met them if this hadn't happened. I'm definitely grateful to be alive for.
Speaker 1: Anyone going through anything, Kelsey, that like, what you've been through is just horrific, but you've come out the other side. For anyone going through any sort of really hard time in their life, dark time, trauma, what do you.
Speaker 2: Want to say to them?
Speaker 1: Is someone that has been you know, the lowest of lows and you are where you are now, which is just like a bright shining light.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, all the things I can think of a like horrible cliche.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love a horrible cliche life.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, that's true. Like that's why they're cliches. So like, I mean, I hope one the other day and it was like, if you're going through how why would you stop there? Like you got to get out of it, so keep going. So it's like, yeah, that makes sense, but yeah, you just you just can't go up, Like you just have to keep hunting for the thing that works for you. Like it took me. Took me two and a half years to find the thing that worked for me, unfortunately, and even then I had the thing that was helping me, and it was the early stages and it still didn't feel like it was enough, and I still wanted to give up then. But I mean you just have to lean on your people and have a good trust circle. I suppose, and I mean that's where you can do. Just don't give up, just keep trying as shit as it is.
Speaker 2: Kelsey, thank you so much for giving us your time, for telling us your story, for sharing so openly. We are so grateful for you coming and being part of the podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh he is so welcome. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, you know that we never finished an episode with our suck and our suite, our highlight and our low light of each and every week. Brittany, what is your psaki duck duck?
Speaker 1: My psaki ducky duck is of Delilah. Delilah cut her paws open.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she hasn't walked. She hasn't been on a walk for a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Must have been on a rock or an oyster or something, and it's I've checked it out.
Speaker 2: She went to the bed.
Speaker 1: She's fine, but she can't walk anywhere. She's like Buster with three legs.
Speaker 2: She's just like whole fun. Sorry, she's like Buster.
Speaker 1: Just hold the poor up.
Speaker 2: It's just been like this for eight and a half years, so he's pretty well versed. I feel like for dogs, who have four legs. It's a bit of a bother it is. It's fine, it's healed fine, But that's just my sucking. It's like a kid. You don't want to see your dog.
Speaker 1: Or you're an animal, or your child in any any sort of pain. So like when I knew her little poor wassaurs, Yeah, I thought you were.
Speaker 2: Going to say that like she had cut it and then there was just like carnage through the house. But just in general, I'm oh, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, My sweet for the week would have to be that I have in your nephew. So little bear Anthony Hockley entered.
Speaker 2: The well, Yah and Rah.
Speaker 1: He came out being like rah, and he's absolutely durable and I can't wait to meet him.
Speaker 2: And it's nice to add to the family. Oh what about you? It was nice to add to the family. I ain't doing no adding. Okay, well, I'm when we're not recording this, want to see photos because now that I have my own children, I'm sick for other people's children and that's just kind of what happens. Okay, So my suck for the week is that I have This is going to sound so dumb because I'm a big loser that gets allergies. But I have the most raging MSG allergy at the moment. If anybody is allergic to MSG, you will know what this is like. It is fucked I have. I have like proper. I get like I can't read, I can't see, I can't think. My body hurts. It's just like the weirdest side effect to MSG. And it's not like a normal Oh we get rashes. I get like this full body fog that happens that next time hungover and I can't record MSG. I had tie last night. It kind of feels like that, kind of feels like a big dirty hangover, except everything inside your body feels like it's foreign to you. Like my body inside feels itchy. I don't even know how to describe it. But I don't get it as bad as I used to. I used to get full line of fluxus. So if I keel over in the record, you will know. I can't make is in my bag. I want to because you're attracted to people who look like me. And my sweet for the week is just that we went to Hamilton Island. It was phenomenal. We had such a beautiful time, like as a parent of a three year old and a now two year old. I love that we get to do these really awesome things with the girls. And I think for a while there we kind of like tossed it up and we were like, well, will the kids be old enough to remember it, or to enjoy it, or to even have fun on these experiences. We took Mali snorkeling for the very first time, and she was like, she wasn't petrified, but she didn't want to put the goggle in the mask on. It took her like a lot of encouraging because it was the very first time. Obviously, they can't breathe through their nose, they got to breathe through their mouth. It was a big process of trying to like build up her confidence to snorkel. But she put the mask on and I put my mask on at the same time, and I was like, just put your face in the water. Just dick it in the water for two seconds and get used to it. And finally she got the courage up and she did it, and she stuck a face in the water, and just as she did it, a turtle swam past. So that was the one and only time she put her face in the water and she saw a huge It was like incredible. No one else on the boat saw a turtle except for Malee because she was like sitting on the little jetty part and then she saw a turtle. So like, we had a beautiful time. It was an amazing couple of days. Now I'm back of work. Well, now I want to go to Hamilton on maybe we need to do a work trip for very important Yeah, work trips in one yeah, by the pool having panicolatas. And that is it from us, guys. We hope that you enjoyed the episode. We know that the chat with Kelsey was a really big and I mean it was a heavy one, but we watched the documentary and just thought it was so incredibly phenomenally done, incredible story that we really wanted to share it with you, and we hope that you guys enjoyed the chat, enjoyed the episode. If you did, jump on subscribe to Life Uncut Podcast in your podcast app and we'll be dropping again on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to you, mum'sy, Dad, Telly Dog, Tell your friends and share the love because we love love