Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast the way if you were seen out there in the old little producers gallery. Today we're produced by French pen pal.
Speaker 2: I did notice the beret we've got.
Speaker 1: Claudette is on the phone today. She's obviously replaced Collette, who normally works on the show. I'm liking the the jauntily the John tiangle of a beret on producer collect or should I say a Claudetta this morning.
Speaker 2: Is watched the show called medal Line. We love our bread, we love our butter, but most of all we love each other.
Speaker 1: So if you're calling in today, do say shore to producer Claudette today, who has produced producer Collette. I love that for a European.
Speaker 2: You look great, Yeah, Claude, very very cool.
Speaker 1: Claudette is a new French name today. All right, then, so we start this last week one second Winner. This is where we go back to a year. We're talking about what happened that year. Then I play check and bats a couple of look or songs, just one second of a song, a couple of big hits from that year. They take each other on. Last week, Patsy won fort one, which you saw how she got on or heard how she got on at the end of last week A bright Adams's an astonishing performance. I reckon, Patsy, you'll even guess the year. Not going to say what the year is, but I'm just going to tell you that it was the year Princess Dinah passed away when Dona cracked the big car crash in Paris on August the thirtie first of this year, and elt John reworked caned in the win to play this at her funeral, which was watched all over the world. Goodbye rules me, Patsy, what do you reckon that you was?
Speaker 3: Wasn't it ninety?
Speaker 2: Was it ninety? Hang on?
Speaker 1: No, done it in? Done it in? Done it in, done it in?
Speaker 3: Googling like nineties, Wasn't.
Speaker 1: It sounds like that sort of thing, a competition win it does? Were they googling the answer?
Speaker 3: Ninety seven? Ninety eight?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, you were googling it, you little chi ninety seven? No, honestly, get out, I mean in my heart please, was right? Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You lived your life.
Speaker 1: So when Dinah died in the car crash August the thirty first, my wife and I obviously it's before kids, and it was you before we got mad. We were on holiday in Turkey and I remember the we're the only English people staying there, and there were people from all over Europe there there was. It was a German run hotel and I remember we were woken up in the morning by the manager and he said, I'm ever so sorry to break this to you, sir, a name from England, but your princess has died. And I went, what do you mean. He said, Princess Dina's died in the car crash. If you don't have to come downstairs, we've got the news on for you. And so my wife and I like, we were working for the royal family and it was racial. They invited us into their It was like a sort of family run hotel. They invited us into their private sort of It was only a little hotel. We didn't have a lot of money to time, but they invited us into their in their little home bit of it. You know when someone runs to watch the TV with them when I want a lot of TVs around then, and had their news on. It wasn't like rolled in news in ninety seven, and we could watch it all. I couldn't believe what we were seeing actually the images of them. Yeah, that car, it was just that car. I still remember it now, a crumple car. You can't believe that she was in. There were obviously dotified, and there was also the bodyguard as well, and then all the kind of rumors started immediately about what was going on, the paparazzi chasing her and fleeing them out. It was such a big moment in history that still talked about now and when the young royals come along, and obviously her two sons as well, it's still talked about that moment, and her absence has still felt in the Raw family. It's such an amazing and incredible story with all the mystery surrounding it. All or not depends what side of the of the debate you go on, but anyway, it was an amazing moment. I remember then it was they made us a breakfast because it was very early. They woke us up, and then they went now or too late to listen to this German guy. He said, we're just lowering the flag, the German flag that they had on the hotel to half last, and I was so touched by they were German, but there was something about Princess Dia that meant so much to so many people all over the world. It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Here is the people's princess.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, it was the year that we talked about him earlier. This was the year nineteen ninety seven that sadly Michael Hutchins died as well. Formed in Excess at seventeen. They went over to sell over sixteen million albums worldwide, which is huge. I didn't know this. They're originally called The Vegetables.
Speaker 2: Oh terrible.
Speaker 1: You don't become you know, if you're the Wiggles the Vegetables, if it's kids, if it's a kid's TV show, You and the Vegetables is great, okay yourself, yourself truckloads. But as a rock band, the Vegetables aren't playing all over the world. Are they terrible name? It was the manager of Midnight Oil, Gary Morris, who suggested they change their name. That's a smart manager. You'll go nowhere as the Vegetables, he suggested In Excess as well. I didn't know this that their first number one. This was the first number one original sin do you know? This is produced by Nile Rogers. Remind me of legendary chic music producer as well, but do so many big hits. Nar Rodgers amazing player. It's also one for our Williams get happy playing bass as well, He's an amazing musician. Producer. Daryl Hall was on backing vocals on that as well as I did not know that as a huge ruler, notes fan, that's great. Also nineteen ninety seven, this Titanic, Yeah, first movie to ever gross one million at the box office, went on to actually taking over two billion, won eleven Academy Awards. Obviously we know Leo and Kate wins it with the stars in it the only now and he got it. It was going to be Matthew McConaughey and Gwyneth Paltrow is Jack and Rose. Isn't that amazing? Also in nineteen ninety seven, not just one the best, if not the funniest Australian comedy movie ever, one of my favorite movies of all time, The Castle. And I remember my wife had when I'd only met her about a year or two before ninety seven, she was talking about how she'd been traveling when she was younger, to this distant far land called Australia. Little did I know that one I was going to marry and that we would end up living there many years later. But she told me about this movie called The Castle four point fifty. But Jouston Dick tellim's dreaming. You know, sometimes you a phrase some a movie becomes a little running in joke between you. This became ours the talk of the pool room, and that's going to put that in the pool room. This is going straight to the pool room. What a great movie. I didn't know that the family name, the Kerragan family. They only came up with that. They're the working Dog team, the geniuses that made the movie. They only used the Keragan family name because they needed to use some tow trucks in the movie that already had the Keragan higher name on it. They still exist today, the Karragan they just used that. They wrote it into the script because they didn't want to change it and they didn't have the budget to get new signwriting on the van. So that's they came up the Keragan family name for the tow trucks. It's an existing Melbourne tow truck company that still exists to this day, which is a great little all right. Then after this song, we're played the one second winner I'm going to play some big hits, some nineteen ninety seven. See how well you know them? You could be today's one second winner. Christian Christian O'Connell show. Going back to nineteen ninety seven, we did a scene once a week now called the one Second Winner. I've had to play Jack and pats and I'll play you a one second clip of a big hit from this week. It's nineteen ninety seven, and give us a chance or so go back in time nineteen ninety seven. So much happened then. The big thing then was the biggest news story in the world that year. Princess Diana dine and Jack and I were just talking about that, how you know where? And it makes sense when you're reminded of what happened to the boys mum, why they don't they don't want that lifestyle for them.
Speaker 2: People will see why the Prince Harry It wants to be removed from that kind of lifestyle. But you've got to remember what happened to him, what happened to his mounded to her death.
Speaker 1: Where were you, Patsy whenny I know you love Princess Donna. Where were you were you at school? What were you doing? In nineteen ninety seven. Actually, no, you would have been working.
Speaker 3: I was working at Gold FM. I was doing first Ah. Yeah, I think I was on Grubby and D at that time.
Speaker 1: Not Vietnam Vie in this place. How many tours have you done? Get like tattoos, you know, without the wings they have or whatever fault tools. Man, you weren't there some Fox Sol were Grubby and d D every morning.
Speaker 3: But I remember it was a Sunday morning. I wasn't working that weekend. I'd gone back home to Wangaratta, and I remember hearing the act, you know, hearing the news and everything and everything. Everyone of course was shocked, but there was just this sense that, oh, yes it's bad, but she'll be okay. And so when over here, you know, like five or six hours later, when we learned that she had actually died, I was just absolutely flawed. I can remember I was just standing in the kitchen and I had to actually just stand there for a couple of minutes and just sort of let it sink in because I still couldn't believe. But it's Princess Diana. It's you know, everyone had put her on such a high pedestal, and yeah, she was gone. It was pretty under labable.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, the people from all over the world that were outside Kenington Palace that were laying down flowers for weeks, and remember on the news the spokesperson for the royal family was asking no more flowers. I don't remember in the first couple of days there was a shot. I'll always remember. It was just a sea rivers of flowers and notes from people all who are on these candled it viches, all outside Kensington Palace where she lived. And then in amongst all of them was a random inflatable et. I never to the stage still understand the random inflatable et anyway, nineteen ninety seven in Sport News. In nineteen ninety seven, Tiger Woods became the youngest ever golfer to win the Masters at twenty one years of age. And this awful moment inboxing it looked as if Tyson beard his teeth at one stage in the exchange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ear, that's what Poorly Piel was in a.
Speaker 1: Lot of peers from that you see the blood on the ear. That was definitely a fait. That is still Benny believe it. Mike Sison biting Evander hoe Field's edge during the third round of the heavyweight fight to score a find from the fight, find three million dollars and suspended from boxing as well. All right, then, so let's go to the hits of ninety seven. Are you ready Jack versus pats last week for one to Patsy. Let's find out what she can do this week, Jackie, need to step up? Bobby girl, Oh, well done, strong star. On the last week, it was okay the winner, hear it.
Speaker 2: I'll give that one to you Jack.
Speaker 1: Because she didn't know it, all right? What about this? Then? That was aqua Barbie Girl, big hitting ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Oh oh song too, Blair, well done.
Speaker 1: That's a lay Pats helloa mply reply you in there? All right? U? What's this? We played this? I'm going to play it in a couple of minutes time actually, because it's a great up song.
Speaker 2: Number one bird there first that I expect.
Speaker 1: I'm going to play this after he has at great song. All right, one more for you guys. Oh yeah, I think you're wrapping to it. Then I was gonna say, please don't do that. Yeah what just happened? Oh yeah, I you the winner?
Speaker 2: Huh oh.
Speaker 1: Conor McGregor walks out to it to this day. Great song.
Speaker 3: No don't know that one.
Speaker 1: Jack three two, Hypnotize me, biggie. This is a great song. Conor McGregor's walkout song. You've heard this, played it at my wife's party, the house party novemb mind did not wonder the state you and your husband were in? What someone you didn't hear this? All right? This is the one for you, dear listener. What song is this? Could you be this morning's one second winner? One second of a big song, huge song all over the world.
Speaker 2: No close, no clues, no close, all.
Speaker 1: Right, give us a call. Could you be this morning's one second winner? Big hit from ninety seven? Chris Christian Christian o'connalds show podcast Crows were your AFL Grand Final winners in ninety seven? And then is it true? I read this morning when I knew we were going to be doing about ninety seven, and obviously you had the Diana news story for her dying in the underpass in France was going to come up. Did they postpone matches after that or on the funeral? What did they? What did you do? Is that right? There was some news? I remember it. So we're doing the one second winner. You got to work out what this is? Big hit from nineteen ninety seven, just one second of it? All right, let's go to lines. Now we've got Belinda. Good morning, Belinda, money Belinda? What do you reckon it is? I think it's when the Lights Go Out? By five? What a band? Ye five?
Speaker 2: I had that album as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah they were I did not. I just found out a little pop fact about five. They were produced by Early Simon cow This is before he was the big megastar, when he was an A and R guy a record label. But yeah, no it's not that Belinda. Ah, okay, thank you, that's what I may have a good day, Clint. Good morning morning, Christian.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good? But I didn't hope you well as well. What do you think the song is?
Speaker 2: It's got to be Return of the Mac by Mike Morrison.
Speaker 1: Great song, Return of the Mac? Close but no cigar, it's not that nice, try though, Clint. Let's go to Liam. Good morning, Christian? Are you? I'm good bye? What do you think this is? Then? Big hit in ninety seven, This is Everybody.
Speaker 3: By the Battery Boys.
Speaker 1: Sons up. We got a Backstreet fan online one mean well you're a big fan back in the day in ninety seven a Backstreet Boys. They were huge. I was actually alive at that point in the fun How are you, Liam? I'm sixteen, you're sixteen. How do you know that's the Backstreet Boys?
Speaker 3: Ah well, I mean general music fan, but I actually love the Battery Boys as well.
Speaker 1: Good boy ba they were. That's all good stuff. Actually, Liam, will send your prize. Okay, still the line mate and have a good day. Let's call on the show all right, christ You O'Connell Show Podcast