Speaker 1: When you're a parent, there are so many big decisions to make, but also a lot of small decisions that may or may not have a big impact on your child's life. So when you ask a doctor if it's okay to maintain your four cups a day coffee addiction during pregnancy and their response is two cups should be okay, you might not feel like that's enough information to make one of many decisions coming your way. And that is exactly how Brown University economics professor Emily Osta felt during her pregnancy. So she did what any good economist would do, and she went to the numbers. Three books later, and she has not only broken down all the data that parents need to make decisions, but she's worked out how we can all be making better decisions. So what are the economics frameworks that Emily uses to improve her own life and the decisions that she makes. Why is optimizing on the margins so important for hour by our productivity? And why does Emily use email to make some of her biggest decisions with her husband. My name is doctor Amathe Imba. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium, and this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. So I wanted to start my chat with Emily by understanding how can economics help us make better decisions in our lives.
Speaker 2: So I think the big picture in economic decision making is the idea of weighing costs and benefits.
Speaker 3: And that any choice that you make you should.
Speaker 2: Make thoughtfully by thinking about what with the benefits of this choice being with the and what would the cast be. But I think it's also the case that under a lineying that there are a lot of smaller principles that can help us do that better. So one that I like a lot as an example, is opportunity costs is the idea that.
Speaker 3: Effectively my time is valuable.
Speaker 2: And that I should when I make choices about whether I should hire somebody to help me clean my house, I should be thinking about the opportunity costs of that time. I should be thinking about what else I could be doing with that time, and explicitly acknowledging that in some of the choices that I make.
Speaker 1: Interesting So, how do you make decisions at work?
Speaker 2: A lot of the decisions that I make at work have to do with how I'm going to prioritize different pieces of my professional life. So I do a fair amount of writing. I'm also an academic, so I write some academic papers, and then I do a fair amount of administrative work. And I try to make sort of both big picture and then smaller picture decisions, So sort of big picture decisions about kind of how do I want the balance of those things to work over the course of a year, So do I want to be investing a lot of administration and less in the other things, recognizing that there's a trade off. I can't do one hundred percent of everything. And then I try to also make decisions about kind of smaller pieces of time, So how much time do I want to spend in this week on these different things. So for me, a lot of the work decisions are really around prioritizing certain parts of my professional life and then within them having the same kinds of discussions about individual projects. But the big picture is probably the most important.
Speaker 1: Right, And so like, what are some of the frameworks or tools from economics that you're consciously using or maybe unconsciously using now when I'm making those big pigure decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think it's almost all unconscious at this point. My parents were also economists, and so my kind of whole. My husband is an economy so it's all that sort of steeped in there. But I think a lot of this is this idea of trade offs, of kind of if you're doing this thing, you can't be doing this other thing, and so just recognizing the kind of weight of value across those things. I think the other tool that I spend a lot of time thinking to sort of in that factors a lot in these decisions is the idea of what we call optimizing on the margin, So thinking about choosing.
Speaker 3: Activities not based on how important they.
Speaker 2: Are overall on average, but thinking about what is the best use of this next hour. So there may be a situation in which you know there's one broad area of work or one broad project that's in aggregate much more important.
Speaker 3: Than another one.
Speaker 2: But when I think about how much progress would be made in the next hour, or what would be the best use of this next hour, it is best used on the smaller project or the sort of aggregate less valuable project, because the marginal.
Speaker 3: Value of that hour is higher.
Speaker 2: And so I think that's that actually ends up influencing a lot of how I organize my time in a smaller way.
Speaker 4: Which is to say, I need to make every hour as productive as possible, and that means allocating them in this marginal way where it's what is the best use of that particular hour, given where I am on everything else, rather than saying all the time should be spent on this big project because it is on average most important.
Speaker 3: Well, no, maybe the marginal hour is not as important.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, I'm thinking of how would I apply that to my own life. At the moment, I've got my big project is I'm writing a book, and I'm on deadline. October is when I have to submit the first draft, and so that, like, I feel like that occupies every spare hour that I've got at the moment. But then I've got other tasks that I do, like writing articles, or doing knote speeches, or doing business development activities or sort of bits and pieces of administration. So what advice would you give me in terms of applying that principle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think that I would encourage you to think about the kind of diminishing marginal value of time on your books. So, so I'm going to assume that you write books like I do, which means if you sat down at the beginning of an eight hour day to write that, the kind of first couple of hours, you've had your coffee, you're like, really, you're focused in, you're dialed in, You've thought in the.
Speaker 3: Shower about what you're going to say. You're like, really, you're doing it.
Speaker 2: And by our four things that are sort of decay, and by our a you're basically fried, like you can't or maybe by our four you're fried. That would be a begin me that's right, yeah, yeah, But there's a temptation to be like, okay, just because it is so important, I just got to push through, push through, push through, because this.
Speaker 3: Is this is the big project.
Speaker 2: But actually that fifth hour, like you're that fifth hour is not that productive, Like you're not getting that much done. And you might at that point be able to get more sort of total work life points, whatever it is, by spending some of that time on article writing or something different, or administrative tasks or catching up on email or whatever it is, because.
Speaker 3: You're going to need to do that time sometime.
Speaker 2: That's going to have to happen, and if you do it in that hour, that would otherwise be the sort of less least productive of the book hours. If you instead slot in something else, it may be that that's actually sort of an aggregate time saver or productivity saver, because you've optimally used the hours rather than just like digging your head into the thing that you know is the sort of average most important because of the sort of diminishing value of time on any given project.
Speaker 1: In your latest book, The Family Firm, you lay out a framework for decision making called the floor ifs, and you apply it to parenting decisions, which I do want to talk about, but I want to start by asking with that framework, what are the other sorts of decisions that we can be applying that to.
Speaker 2: I tend to find I think this is applicable and a wide variety of settings. So you know, the kind of four f framework has the idea that you're going to start by framing a question. Then you're going to collect some data, some evidence information I call that fact finding, that you will then make a final decision and then there will be some sort of period of follow up.
Speaker 1: So let's get into this framework. Can you talk us through the four ifs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that you want to imagine that you have a kind of big decision to make in some area of your life. And the first f is called frame the question. It may seem sort of fasciled to say you have to ask the question, but actually I think people are not always great at this. So we can take the should I get a new job question as an example. People often as well, you know, should should I change jobs or not? Okay, so you know the job that you have now, But by saying should I change jobs or or not, you don't know what the other choice is. So that in a lot of these settings it is really beneficial to actually write a question or think of a question in a way that's a trade off between two distinct things, not a trade off between do this or do something else, where something else is a sort of imaginary thing in the in the ether, And so that's really the first step is to say, okay, well, let me try to be as concrete as possible about what the sort of two choices or three choices are. Then there is a fact finding portion where you say, all right, in order to make this decision, I need to know some information. And the book is really about it's about a book about parenting, and so there's a fair amount of data in around a lot of questions that come up in parenting, and so that's a piece of this fact finding there. But in all, in any choice, there are going to be going to be facts that are not just data. There are going to be things about schedules, or things about finances, or things about other trade offs that you face the like, things that you need to know about exactly what these two different choices or three different choices are.
Speaker 3: Going to look like. And then there's the third step.
Speaker 2: Which is a final decision step, which is to say, Okay, once you have all that information, you actually should just plan a time to sit down and make the decision.
Speaker 3: Because I think we often let.
Speaker 2: Big choices sort of parkolate and parcolate, and we think about them a little here and a little there, and kind of in the shower, and we talk to our partner about them a little bit, we talk again. You know, we only have three minutes. We're falling asleep, and we never get to the end because we haven't said, Okay, this is the end of this decision.
Speaker 3: You know, I am am I going to switch jobs or not.
Speaker 2: Here's the time at which I'm going to decide that I'm going to have a meeting or whatever it is and a final decision, and then we will have made the decision.
Speaker 3: And we can kind of move forward. But then the last F is follow up.
Speaker 2: Is just noting that, you know, we often for big decisions, we tend to think about them as like, Okay, I'm going to make this decision and then that's it. This decision will be forever. And of course, for some decisions that's true, but for many of the decisions that we make, it may not be forever. You may have the opportunity to re up that decision at some other time, and we don't always take advantage of that. So I sort of urge people to say, hey, like you should articulate, you should plan a time they're going to follow up on the decision sometime later to make sure that X post it turned out to be the right decision and there isn't something that you want to change.
Speaker 1: I love that it makes decision making complex decision making sound like it could be much simpler. Now, could you maybe help me apply that framework to one decision that's abound truitment. We know we're need a new junior consultant, but there's one person that we like, but they're not available for six months, and there's also no guarantee that I mean, their life could have completely changed in six months and they might have some other job offer at the end of the year, so it's not like they're guaranteed, but we know that they're really good. Then the other option is that we just go, Okay, let's not wait six months for someone that we know is good, and instead let's invest some time, which would be a lot of time going to market and seeing what's out there, which is very, very time consuming, but it would hopefully get us someone sooner. So that's the decision. Do we go to market now or do we wait six months and cross our fingers that this good person that we like and they like us is still available.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's start with so the question.
Speaker 2: You've framed the question as do we go to market now or do we wait for this for this guy? And so I think one's those are concrete choices.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 2: I think the one thing that I would add to your first question asking is to note that you may have to go to market in both of these situations. So option one is go to market now. Option two is wait, with some probability to hire this person that you like, and with some probability have to do this market thing in December?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yes? Exactly?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so you got these new choice Yeah.
Speaker 1: And ideally we donate someone now that there is this good person that's six months away, which is why it's so tricky.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it seems to me like the most important information you need is, like, is some version of how you know how expensive? You know how costly it is to go to the market, you know how much time that's going to take. Presumably, Yes, it seems like the key piece of information is how likely this person is to be interested and how unusual they are? Hmmm yes, yeah, So I don't know if there's a way, like I think what I would say is in whatever is this sort of second phase of this, I think that those are.
Speaker 3: Two things that you would ideally learn.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you could probably learn something about how likely they are. I mean they're going to overstate their likelihood, yes, but you know you can bias it down. Yeah. And then and then this question of like, I like, do you know enough to know if this person is is really unusual or maybe is there a way to dip in just a little to see, you know, is there somebody Uh is this likely? Maybe this person isn't the unicorn that you think that they're Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are. They're really good questions to ask, and I think that's so true. Like if we with the first question in terms of how interested is this person, they're definitely going to overstate that they're definitely interested. But also that earlier on in the career, so they could, you know, quite foreseeably be lord to go to another firm. So that's a tricky one. In terms of how unique they are, they're pretty unique. But then I'd say everyone we employed Inventium is unique, and that's why recruitment is such a hard process because we're typically you know, getting from like one hundred or two hundred applications down to one person, and sometimes we don't even find the one person that we're looking for. So yeah, that's how it answered those questions at the moment with sort of the knowledge that I've got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think then the thing is like just to dig into whether there's a fast way.
Speaker 3: To learn to learn more than what you know.
Speaker 2: So if my husband were here, because he likes to put people on the spot. He would say, why don't you tell this person, they like, ask this person to sign something, just because when people sign that, and it probably isn't going to be something binding because of course you know, there's no like you could always get out of things, but that people don't like to do that unless they're serious.
Speaker 3: They feel like it's uh.
Speaker 2: It's and if you come and you say, hey, can you sign this early commitment and they say no, I think that's a pretty bad sign. It is, yes, but I think that the sort of Okay, so there's like some things you need to.
Speaker 3: I think that you could go learn.
Speaker 2: And I guess the sort of last piece of this is to say, the longer you wait on doing this, in some sense, the worse it is, or the like you could just wait and wait and wait and now make this decision and then find out that the person doesn't want it, and then you've sort of spent your six your six months kind of on not on purpose. So I would say, try to find these things out now and say, okay, in two weeks we're going to.
Speaker 3: Either pull the trigger on this thing or decide to wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, That is very helpful Emily will be back soon talking about why she makes her most important decisions with her husband using it email. But before we head to that, I wanted to say, if you are not connected with me on the social media channels, then you might want to do that because I share a lot of content during the week that you might find helpful. So find me on LinkedIn, just search for Amantha Imba and you can find me on Twitter at Amantha or on Instagram at Amantha I and just shoot me a note telling me that you found me via how I work, because I'd love to hear from you. When you were starting a family, I know something you did is you turned away from a lot of the parenting books that so many expecting parents read, and for you it was all about the data. Can you tell me about why you did turn away from a lot of the very popular parenting books and go towards the data.
Speaker 2: When I came into the parenting space when I was first pregnant with my daughter, I found there was sort of like two classes of books. There were the books that were just like, here is what happens during pregnancy, which we were useful but tended to make the same kinds of blanket pronouncements that my obi, my doctor was making around the rule, the pregnancy rules as we as we call them. And then there were other books which sometimes got sort of would give different recommendations but never said why so you'd get you know, there was a book called that I remember called The Panic Free Pregnancy, which actually gave a lot of in some ways a lot of the same advice that I ended up writing in or that I ended up effectively supporting and expecting better, but there was no like why behind it.
Speaker 3: It was just like, well, I'm an expert.
Speaker 2: It's fine to have a cup of coffee, uh, and and that was not.
Speaker 3: Sufficient for me.
Speaker 1: And something else I was curious about because doctors have access to data, but for you, as an economist, you can often get to like a different insight with the data. Can you tell me how how I guess an economist can look data and how you can end up with something different from what the medical profession is saying.
Speaker 2: So I think, you know, first of all, it's sort of worth noting that actually, in a lot of cases I wasn't saying necessarily something different, and some of this was just interpreting for people why they were being told what they were being told. But I think, you know, there are places where I differed, obviously, and I think some of that is, you know, my training is really in how we learn causality from data, how we figure out, you know, is the relationship between this variable and this other variable is causal? Is like, is there really a relationship there or is it just what we call it correlation? Is it just that they're sort of moving together, but not that they're not that they're moving together because.
Speaker 3: One is causing the other one.
Speaker 2: So I spent all of my professional life doing that, and so when I go and read some of these papers, in some cases I have a pretty different sense of what are the good papers and what are the less good papers, because I I kind of dug into what is the sort of evidence underlying this?
Speaker 3: And doctors have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of kinds of training, but actually they don't have a lot of training and statistics. And so the training that I had as an economist actually in many ways much better suited for those kinds of analyzes than the training that you would get in medical school.
Speaker 1: Now, i'd love to hear about some of the decisions that you've made as a parent for your kids and I'd love it if he could talk me through maybe one of the top of decisions to make and your process to making that decision.
Speaker 2: One kind of big decision that we made a few years ago surrounded my what to do about school for my for my youngest. So so he was in like a preschool daycare environment that he that he liked a lot, that we liked a lot, but there was an opportunity to move him sort of because he had gotten to be the right age into.
Speaker 3: The school with our that our daughter was in.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't a super easy choice because you know, he was very happy. So we sort of approach that and kind of more or less this way, so asking the question, which in that case amounted to should we leave him in this school for another two years and then move him or should we move him now? And that like already was actually I think until we had talked about it was not. We hadn't fully recognized the importance of that particular question. But of course we eventually were going to have to move him, and so it made the decision in many ways much easier because of course, eventually we're going to have to do it, and so it was not do we never move him. It was do we move him now or do we move him move him later?
Speaker 3: You know, And then we spent a bunch of time.
Speaker 2: Visiting the two options, trying to figure out which teachers would be in different places, and were there any changes that had happened to the curriculum since their daughter had been in there, and just really trying to understand what would these two environments look like for him. And then you know, that was the keys in which the decision timing was like eventually you have to apply for you have to apply for the for the school or an apply for the school, and so we we've eventually had a time that we had to make a final decision. And then you know, there there's an obvious follow up which we have every year, which is, you know, at some point my kids school asked for re enrollments, and you know, we do always sit down and say, okay, like let's just check. We really like the school, but let's just like check and make sure that this is you know, this is still working for us, still working for our kids, that we don't necessarily have to default into this just because it's the thing that we've been doing before.
Speaker 1: A decision that I know that I'm going to have to make for my daughter is where to send her to high school? And she's at a primary school at the moment. And I will add that, you know, I do have an ex husband that we will have to make the decision together. But she's in grade two at the moment in primary school, and the decision is four years away. But I feel like those four years are going to go very quickly. So what advice would you give me in terms of making that decision of where to send my daughter for her high school years?
Speaker 3: Other than this sort of like think about the options.
Speaker 2: Get you know, I think the biggest piece of advice there is, I think thinking carefully in advance about how involved you want her to be in the decision. So I think one of the thing that's hard about this stage of parenting is figuring out which pieces of these choices do we want to give our kids kind of autonomy or participation rights into.
Speaker 3: Right. So maybe that.
Speaker 2: It may not be that you want to give her all of the options right.
Speaker 3: You may not want to say, okay, like pick the high school.
Speaker 2: I don't exactly know how your schooling system works, but it may not be that you want to say, pick from all of the possible high schools, because actually you may not think that they're all acceptable, or they may all be affordable, or they may not all work for some other for some other reason. But at the same time, you know, with a with an older kid, you probably don't want to just say, Okay, here's what you're doing, and you know, don't ask any any questions. And so part of the balance as kids age here is to think about how to engage them in these decisions in ways that are that are productive but also you're feasible.
Speaker 1: Now I've had that when you're talking about like different matters relating to your kids, you will do quite a bit of amail discussion with your husband, Is that right?
Speaker 3: That is right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do a lot of our interaction over email.
Speaker 3: I love a good email.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me why you decide to do that via email then some other communication channel like face to face at the dinner table.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, the kids are at the dinner table.
Speaker 2: See you forget about that, but I yeah, so I think that that that we.
Speaker 3: Try pretty hard to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, to do much of this interaction over email, And I think part of you know, or over some like to get even more extreme, like in an assana task to grow over something like that. And I think that the reason is that that you can be much more direct and concrete and understanding is just much clearer when it is written down and it sets expectations in a way that everybody can like can see what is written, can see what we agreed on, can sort of like see all of the information together. It's also an efficient way to be able to go back and back and forth between sort of learning something and asking questions and learning more.
Speaker 3: So give you an example, there was like.
Speaker 2: A period of time when one of my kids had a tick on them, like it's like a bug and tick on them, and there's like a question about there's a concern about buying disease where I live, which is a thing that you can get if you have a tick bite. And we had to have a discussion about whether we wanted to like pre treat him with antibiotics for this. And that is a place where like having the interaction about the about that question over email is very productive because I can say here are the facts. He can say, well, here's the question that I still have, and rather than him saying.
Speaker 3: Over the breakfast table.
Speaker 2: Here's the question I still have and me being like, Okay, let me try to remember, like look at that later and then get back to you about it. I can just like see the email, put it aside when I have time, come back.
Speaker 3: To it, send it back to him.
Speaker 2: And it's sort of like so sometimes I say, like, your computer doesn't get tired of remembering things even though you do, and so you've got to give your computer a little mental load.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else that you do, like because of your background that helps you like in work all life that other people would go, oh, that's really quirky.
Speaker 2: So we have a lot of these same kinds of interactions with our kids where we will sort of interact over email with them. And the other day so I noticed that they were emailing each other, and you know, there's like six and ten. It's like the son opened up his computer and he was like emailing with he like emailed like I hope you have a good evening.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't even.
Speaker 2: Know where they come up with this, where they come up with this stuff, but I think we do, you know, sort of lean into the idea that lant kind of everybody in the in the household can engage in this kind of slightly structured decision making decision making piece. I guess the other thing I do that people that is probably a much more typical thing is that I get up really early in the morning before anybody else is up. That's more of a productivity hack than something that's quirky. So, how ellie, are we talking like five or a little bit before five? And how do you use that time before the rest of your family's awake. So I drink coffee and I do email, and then I usually exercise, So it's sort of but it's I like that time.
Speaker 3: I've always really liked that time because.
Speaker 2: It's good, like sort of deep focused time if I have some deep focused thing that I need to do. But it's also it feels like it's mine in a way that you know, most of the rest of the day and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: So most of the rest of my day sort of feels like it's it's meetings or it's the kids or and I.
Speaker 2: Love those things, but it's it's not like my time to do whatever I want with. It's not like free free moments, and that early morning time kind of is free.
Speaker 1: I've heard that you describe yourself as an aggressive multitask AUP is like, what are you doing in terms of aggressively multitasking, like where you feel like it's serving you.
Speaker 2: So I think the biggest thing is like how I address email, which is that like I try not to let it build up, and so I try if I have, like if a meeting ends five minutes early, I try to like triage what I've got in my email so I don't end up at the end of the day with like a billion things left over because it just.
Speaker 3: Like it drives me. It drives me crazy.
Speaker 1: Emily, My final question for you is for people that want to read and consume more of what you're doing, what is the best way for people to do that.
Speaker 2: So I have a newsletter on substack, which is probably the easiest way to read the stuff that I'm doing. It's called parent Data, but it's just emii astro Do at substack dot com. And the new book I think will be out in I think I think is out in Australia at the same time as it is in the US, sin certainly in the UK, which is August third. And those are the best ways to find me fantastic and I highly recommend the family Firm those that are parents. I just really helped improve and change the way I look at parenting decisions, which can be.
Speaker 1: Very very challenging. So Emily, it's been awesome chatting to you. I'd so appreciate your time and your advice, and I'm now going to go speak to my CEO about what to do about this recruitment decision as well.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that, and thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: That is it for today's show. Now, if you have not hit subscribe or follow where you're listening to this podcast from, you might want to do that because next week I have comedian Michelle Laurie on the show talking about all sorts of things, including why you need to let other people go first. So hit subscribe or follow wherever you're listening to this from. How I Work is produced by Inventium with production support from Dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Jenna Koda, and thank you to Martin Nimber, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.