Speaker 1: Do you travel for work or maybe you travel regularly because you can, But certainly holiday eating and food at airports can seriously derail most diets. So on today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive the easy ways to keep your diet on track when you spend plenty of time in the air.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and I'm Leon Ward.
Speaker 1: And together we bring you The Nutrition Coutch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as all things food and travel. We take a closer look at tin proteins like chicken and fish and share what to look for and what to avoid.
Speaker 3: I found a brand new lean meat pie.
Speaker 1: I'm keen to get Leanne's thoughts on and our listener question is all about choosing smart gluten free foods. So Leanne, we are refreshed and relaxed after our second Nutrition Couch retreat at Kingscliff last week with a divine group of twenty women.
Speaker 3: How are you feeling after our second retreat.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling very refreshed.
Speaker 4: I do wish we stayed and had a little, you know, extended spa visit for ourself. But we did make that choice to go home to the kiddies, and I don't regret that, so I feel really good.
Speaker 2: Besides the massive amount of traffic I.
Speaker 4: Gone the way home, it was just so much fun, Like you could hardly call it work. It was honestly just such a good time. And there are so many different women from so many you know, walks of life, but we all just come together because we've all got the same common goal, right. We just want a weekend full of wellness and self care, to just go away, drink you know, some fabulous wine, have some fabulous meals, move our body, learn a little bit about nutrition, and just have a really great time together. So I don't think it could have gone better, honestly if we tried. It was so much fun and I really am looking forward to doing it all over again. But we still and undecided if we do it at the end of this year or leave it till next year. Aren't We were like fifty to fifty on the fence.
Speaker 1: So first of all, I'll describe the different groups of women. We had such a range. First of all, they came from all over Australia. We had one gorgeous woman from Roma, like outside Roma in the middle of Queensland, like literally drove like eighteen hours or something to come that sing exaggeration, not.
Speaker 3: That far Perth like.
Speaker 1: Two from Perth yep, amazing like such as a good, amazing mix.
Speaker 3: So I had some.
Speaker 1: We had some who were on like a friendship get away with a little bit of health thrown in. We had a baby moon, which was fantastic. Then we just generally had a lot of women who were looking to already doing a lot, looking after themselves, but really wanting to age positively. We had a gorgeous girl who's trying to have a baby in the near future. So it really can be whatever you need it to be. It can be a full immersion. It can be an opportunity to consult with Leanne and I when you wouldn't normally do that or be able to do that. It was time away from the children, but with a bit of nutrition thrown in. It's a sort of a mix between a health retreat and then a spa. You know, you get the day spa experience. There's exercise options with the gorgeous to nil to do yoga and pilates each day, walks with us beautiful food. I have to say that Peppers Kingscliff Catering is our standing for the nutritional needs we had or should. We had a mother and daughter team as well from the Blue Mountains, which was great, again just both working on separate health goals. So I think that if you are thinking that you would like to do it, it's a great opportunity to bring a friend or even your daughter. But we are deciding whether to run one in October this year or just hold it annually in March. It is you know, it's amazing and it certainly doesn't feel like work for me, but it's been a huge amount of admin type work for Leanne and as starts just deciding whether we do run it. So yes, please do send us a message if you're seriously keen about coming along and let us know whether October would be viable or really March, because we will make that decision in the next couple of weeks based on our listeners. I can't stress enough it's an amazing weekend and as I said, it's really inspiring. We do two or three education sessions, so yeah, I can't I think it's an amazing way to spend a weekend for motivated women who want to refine their nutrition.
Speaker 3: But yeah, let do let us know it. Ad In at the nutritioncouch dot com.
Speaker 1: Don't dms because we tend to lose those we get a lot, So please email us at admin at nutritioncouch dot com. The nutrition couch actually isn't it admin at the nutritioncouch dot com.
Speaker 4: And I will say there's extra information about the retreat if you go to our Instagram page, which is just the Nutrition Couch podcast, and there's a little pins post at the top. It's a bright yellow post that says more about the retreat, what it includes, what's on offer, the price.
Speaker 2: Obviously ignore the days.
Speaker 4: But if that is something that you feel like, would you know you would like to come to, please do sent us a message because we do need to make these bookings, you know, four to six months in advance. We are probably going to make that call within the next few weeks. And there are of the twenty women that came, I think what six of them came with like a friend, a buddy, a family member, and the other fourteen of them were completely solo. So please do not feel like you have to bring somebody. The majority of the women and even the same from our first retreat. I think sixteen out of the twenty and our first retreat came solo, so don't feel like you have to bring a friend. It is still incredible experience by yourself with your coming solo, and you will meet a ton of friends, like the ladies from the last retreat've started their own like little WhatsApp support group or something.
Speaker 2: I just love it. I think it's so.
Speaker 4: Wonderful and just it's just women supporting women and it's such a great weekend.
Speaker 3: True, all right, I am well.
Speaker 1: One of the topics that we spoke about in relative high detail was tinfish actually, and the reason this has been on my mind is for two reasons. One, I did a review for Good Food on the best options when it came to tinfish across the board, whether it's a sardine, salmon, mackerel. And secondly, we covered this a lot looking at products in supermarket because I think at the moment, with budgets and the cost of food, tinfish has become an affordable option. So you know, sometimes we perceive it as being expensive, like I'm a big salmon consumer. Of course, as a consultant to tassau, but that's fresh salmon. But when it comes to tind, I quite like red salmon. I find it really nice on sandwiches and crackers. But you'd look at it and think, oh, it's expensive, like a tin of red salmon. And Cole's Home brand, which is all the same product ninety nine percent fish, retails for over ten dollars. It might even be twelve dollars. But if I buy that, I will get at least four lunches, if not more. So that's you know, two three dollars a serve versus if you're buying lunch twenty dollars. So I think we can it can certainly be an affordable option. I feed Taco the Australian Shepherd tins of sardines at a dollar apop. Very good for his Amega three if you love sardines. They're very very rich in a Mega three is one of the highest natural sauces.
Speaker 3: And then of course we.
Speaker 1: Have our tuna, and tuna is still a very good option nutritionally, you know, it's very high in protein. But the key message that I want to talk about today, because it was a question that came through our design by dietitians Instagram. Someone had actually asked about tin chicken, and it's actually very similar in terms of percentages when you look at that, whether your preference is for tuna or chicken. But it may come as a surprising ann that some of the well known brands can have as little as fifty percent fish in the tin because of they put sauces and extra things in, and that means that they can put less fish overall. And the issue with that, of course, is that you're not getting the protein that you think you are, because we often think a serve of tuna or salmon or chicken would give about twenty grams of protein for one hundred grams serve minimum. But I think it may come a surprise to some of our listeners that some of those small ninety five gram cans can have as little as twelve grams of protein per serve because they're packed full of other additions. And back in the day when it wasn't such a big section of the supermarket, I would often have clients asking me whether they should get spring water or whether they should get oil, and I would say, to be honest, if you prefer the oil, drain it off and enjoy the tuna, but more likely now they're in sauces, whether it's you know, mayo, sweet chili, mixed and generally you know, I think John West is down to like fifty five percent fish. A lot of the general ones are about sixty And really it's only the plain ones, like the tuna slices or the plain chicken in a can, that have got upwards of seventy percent, and even then it's a bit low. When it comes to protein, they range between twelve maybe fifteen sixteen, which generally isn't enough. Is that when we're looking for a key protein source at a meal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent, but you did hit the nail on the head. It's generally the flavored ones, particularly the ones like there was one I looked up for a client. I think it was like a Mexican flavor. So yes, it had the tuna in there, but it also had a bit of onion, capsicum, corn off the top of my head, and the protein was very low, like I think it was maybe fourteen grams. So when you tend to get into more of the flavored ones because they're adding additional things and they're alongside the tuna, the protein content drops downs. Well, I have certainly said to my clients that's fine if you want to use that one, but I need you to use two tins, because two small tins. If it's got say twelve or thirteen grams of protein a tin is still only looking at about twenty four twenty six grams, and it's ideal to have twenty five to thirty if not for some women forty grams of protein in a single meal, when really the goal is fat loss, or the goal is muscle gain or improving your strength. So it is really important to read your labels. But typically if you are looking for the highest amount of protein perin, you'll best to go with spring water because it just has a highest amount of tuna in it overall. But then salmon's are very similar. You don't tend to get too much flavored salmon, do you. It's generally pretty plain the salmon. It's more the flavored tunas that are more abundant within the supermarkets.
Speaker 1: There's a few, but I think with salmon it's more common to have it just as the pink called the red salmon. There are a couple of flavored ones and it's kind of the same situation, and the same with the chickens. So the plain chicken in spring water, the woollies little tin has got seventy percent versus say sixty for the flavored variety. So across the board, when you're spending money on food, you want to pay for the key ingredient really, so you're actually much better to buy the tuna slices or the plane and then add a bit of your own sauce because then you get control over it, and then you're getting a much higher proportion of the fish. So I think it was just a good topic to talk about in general, because I think we often assume, particularly tin tuna has a lot more protein than it does. And in the case recently we've reviewed thean a couple of those tuna meal kits, and the tuna meal kits that have got the beans in them to have upwards of twenty because you get some extra protein from the beans. So it's very easy actually if you get tin tuna to add some of your own beans, a little bit of chili sauce or whatever your flavor preference is, and you're going to have a much higher protein meal with less additives than the sort of flavored varieties that you're paying for thinking that they're still high in protein. They're just not as high as we do think they are.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And I'm a huge fan of adding something like beans or legumes into the meal with the tuna, because you're getting the benefits of, yes, the extra protein, but also a nice little fiber bump and sometimes a bit of plant based iron as well. And we know that beans and legumes are a wonderful addition for our gut health, in particular because of the fiber. So I love if a client wants a particular type or brand of tuna or flavoring or I do know the protein's lower, it's sort of sitting around that twelve fifteen grams. I'm a huge fan of saying, or we'll add, you know, a bit of chickpeas or add some black beans in there, and to also add a little bit of feta or goats cheese or a little bit of cheese if if they like it, if they're tolerated, and those three combined will give an overall boost or another excitm A boiled egg with a tin of tuna, that's going to give you that twenty plus grams that ideally most women need in a single meal. So it's just about being smarter with your choices and really reading your food labels. Because just a tin of tuna, even across the different brands, the smoke tuna, like, I'm a big fan of the smoke tuna, but that is a little bit lower than the tuna in springwater or the tuna and olive oil. I just like it from a flavor perspective, particularly if I'm putting it on a cracker, if I'm mixing it through a salad, I've got a lot of other flavors going on, But I myself like the smoke tuna on crackers with some tomato, cucumber, et cetera. But I'll always make sure I put a bit of goats, cheese or some fetter or something on there to boost up that overall protein because it is a couple of grands lower than some of the other tins in the spring water section.
Speaker 1: True, And I think the other message is that whilst tin tuna is a good source of protein, particularly when you get the plain varieties, keep in mind that tuna has nowhere near the amiga threes that salmon does, so salmon is naturally higher. In some cases, tuna will be low fat, so they've taken the extra oils out to make fish or capsules will use for another product. And so salmon is a better choice nutritionally, if we were being one hundred percent honest. I'm not just saying that because I consult to a salmon company. It's just nutritional fact. So tin salmon is much much higher in a Mega three. Sardines are much much higher again, as is macrel. So if you actually are looking for a Mega three, is mackerel. Sardine's your best bet, followed by tin salmon, and the red does have slightly more. The other bonus of salmon that you don't get unfortunately in the tunas because they don't have the calcium rich tuna anymore, is that the salmon is very high in calcium, so it's got the little bones. If you consume them, it's a really rich natural source of calcium, So you get up to three hundred milligrams of good quality calcium with salmon and the bones, particularly if you're someone who needs more calcium in the diet. So if you like it, it can be a really good choice nutritionally. The same with sardine, and sardines are also very very high naturally in calcium, so a good way for non dairy eaters if you like fish, to be getting that extra source of calcium in the diet as well. So just something I thought was topical because I know a lot of listeners will use tin salmon, and I heard you say on the weekend that actually, sometimes in some cases you may need two of the smaller tins to actually get your protein requirements of say twenty thirty grams of protein per meal, So that can be an option as well, particularly if you're buying them from a budget perspective and they are cheaper to buy on sale and you stock up on tin tuna with sometimes you may just need too to get the actual amounts that you're needing.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and I will say that this is mostly an Australian thing because I did do an Instagram post probably twelve months ago now and I did quite well, like it had over one hundred thousand views, and it sort of had a bigger reach internationally and so many people were commenting the post was something like, you know, psa public service announcement, one tin of tuna isn't enough for most women in a meal to lose weight, and heaps of Americans like commenting and they're like, what a tin of tuna's like twenty five thirty grams?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: So I will say that this is typically more so obviously what we've noticed in Australian based supermarkets. If you are listening overseas somewhere, just a really good, you know, reminder to check your food labels, and it may or may not be the case for the country that you're living in.
Speaker 1: True, all right, Lee and well, food and travel. I think this has been on my mind because I do have quite a few clients who travel to interstate, you know, multiple times a week. They're spending a lot of time in the quantus lounge, and sort of the habits that come can be less than conducive when it comes to weight controlled at alone weight loss. So I just want to talk a little bit about the key strategies when you do travel regularly, whether it's because you can travel or because you're traveling for work. So I'll kick off by saying that one of the messages I share with clients when it comes to work travel is that it is work. So sometimes we're very programmed to go to the airport, go straight to the lounge, have everything on offer whenever they're bringing stuff around on a flight, having that as well, and eating at all times at the day, all night, even though it may not be a meal time. You know, we get ourselves to the airport and suddenly we're having a big meal before we hop on an international flight. So I think it's a real mindset shift to say that when travel is a routine part of your life, you've really got to think of it as such and as such have quite firm food structure, because inevitably the foods that we're buying away from the home are hiring calories, hire and fat, lower in protein than meals you would prepare at home. So if you routinely you're in the Quantus lounge and making a ham and cheese toasty, which we all know is delicious. And if it was an occasional thing, no problem. But if it's multiple times, you know, once or twice a week, and then you stop in on the way home and you get the corn chips and the dip, the homus, the carrot sticks, the glass of wine. You know, that is dinner, let alone, before you hop on the plane and have the snack they bring around, which in my experience with quantus is inevitably pastry. So I think it's first of all good to be mindful of the effects, and then if you ask someone who does it regularly, be clear on how to do it. So one of the key things I encourage clients to do or I do myself, is whenever I'm traveling, whether it's a car trip or plane trip, even internationally, I'll always take with me some cut up edgies and a wrap. And the reason is that one, I'm tight and I don't want to pay thirty dollars for a substandard meal at the airport before I fly. But at least if the plane's delayed, if I don't like the food on the flight, if you don't get fed till quite long, I've got something I can have with a coffee or a tea that will keep me full, and I'm not going to macas.
Speaker 3: And then the veggies.
Speaker 1: You just never get enough fresh food when you're traveling, like they don't serve much on a plane. You get constipated. You can't pick up at at the quickie mite before you hop on a flight, even if you can get a cheese and crackers. So I just find then that you've got a small, healthy, minimal to go and you've.
Speaker 3: Also got some fresh food.
Speaker 1: Now, if I'm at an airport where they've got low car rice paper rolls or they've got Mexican and I can get a naked Brita bowl, sure I'll get it. But it also means if that's not available, if it's late and the airport's closed, I've always got something that's lighter and healthier than getting the good old ham and cheese clissant all the toasty with the coffee that is routinely at airport. So I think starting with something decent is a really good place. So that's sort of the first thing that I would certainly encourage people to be doing is always take something with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, and I think more when we're thinking about those smart snacks, there aren't that many available at the airport, and if they are, you know you're paying seven bucks for a little nut bar, or you know you're getting a little thing of fava beans which is five six dollars. So where you can, it's going to be certainly better from a budget perspective. Another thing I love is telling my clients to like freeze the yogurt pouches and take it with them, just wrap it in like a tea towel or something, so then when you get to the airport an arrow or two later, it's still nice and cold and you can have that as a little snack or a little pick me up as well. Other really smart airport choices. I love things like Vietnamese so like roll do some really great options grilled do some Lina burgers, and also some salad based options as well. I don't mind Nando's. You can get a bit of chicken breast aside of broccolini.
Speaker 3: But what else I fight?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I sometimes the wraps are okay, but I think with the wraps you got to look for the small ones because they can be absolutely massive. I think when there's a juice bar, like getting a veggie juice is a great addition, but avoid the fruit because they're sugary. But if you get say a beech trit celery carrot or a green juice, that can be a nice light snack to have. I think if I have to get macas, I would get a mini snack rap like you can get the mini snack raps aren't youo bad if you get the grilled one, and then if you team that, say with a veggie juice, that would be a lighter option. But I'm like you, I tend to either go rolled, I go the naked sort of burrito type bowl with no rice, or I sort of try and take my own thing. I think, like at Sidney Airport they do have sole origin in the Virgin Lounge, but the sandwiches are heavy, but at least you can get something with a bit of salad or a wrap like they do have the wraps, but they're on white wrap like. They're just never as good nutritionally as what you'd make at home.
Speaker 4: The antol Olers did and do actually have quite a good few options if you there's quite a lot of salads and offer a lot of them are pretty carb heavy, but there are certainly some leaner ones, and there is generally just an option of an extra server vegetable, so sometimes I'll get like the beef noodlestuff with an extra server veggie as an example, like the chicken rice vermicelli salad with the extra side of vegetables. And poke bowls are another really really good option as well. Isn't bad. If you can find some of the brown rice rolls with a bit of protein, and if you're lucky enough to strike gold and can find some like sashimi with some otta mammae beans and some seaweed, that's an awesome option. But I will say be very very careful with lounges because like you, Susy, I work with a lot of women who have you know, their CEOs, their CFOs, They travel a lot. They're always in the lounge, the first class lounges with some of my really beauty clients. If they're lucky enough to go in there, that's wonderful. There's a chef, love cookie, whatever you want. But the general sort of quantus virgin lounges aren't actually that good. So I will suggest time and time again to my clients, go and get a subway, go and get a rolled take it into the lounge, and then you can enjoy a little coffee or you know, a one glass of champagne when you're in the lounge, because typically the choices in the lounges aren't great. It's always the heavy curry, the white rice, the toasted sandwiches, or it's like the corn chips and the dip that everyone always grabs. So yes, they have a few veggie sticks and stuff, but everyone's loading up on the hommice. They're loading up on the corn chips, they're getting the big jar of licorice and nuts, they're having multiple glasses of wine, particularly if the flight's delayed, and it all adds up. Then, like you say, you jump on the plane and Quantus gives you like soamosis or orange any balls, or like a slab of Turkish something, it's typically not that great an option, so you're far better to actually grab something outside of the lounge and take it in with you because the lounge options, in my experience, particularly when I've been there as well, they're not actually that great and they're definitely not really conducive to fat loss unless you're really doing some sort of smart choosing while you're there.
Speaker 1: I do like in Quantas they have the soup. I always think that's great, Like, really, soup is an ideal food to have when you're traveling. Now, it can be slightly heavier, but it's still always the best option. And then if you make a snackplate with the soup, avoid the bread. If you can with some of the cut up veggies, maybe a little bit of cheese. Great, But I notice that snackplate that comes there's always the corn, chips and the hommas, and everyone thinks it's so healthy, but it's just basically a massive calorie overload at the end of the day. So I quite like and I talk to my clients who travel regularly about having that sort of rule. I don't have that snack food in the week, or I don't have it when I'm traveling for work. And then if you do have a special occasion where you're going internationally on a beautiful flight and you do want to enjoy that kind of stuff, it's special as opposed to having it multiple times a week. And yeah, the snacks on the flight, sometimes you'll get like the little snack pack of sort of crackers and cheese, but often, like when I flew to you last week on Qantas, they gave it for culture and it was described as being churizso and Persian fetter. It was literally a slab of white bread with a crumble of churizzo on the top. Like it was literally I reckon sixty eighty grams of carb in this tiny box of white bread, like it is the worst thing to eat when you're up in the air. And what I've noticed, it's also often pastry, Like it's like a chicken pie, which is just sort of pastry and trans fat, and just like really it's way too heavy for flying. So yeah, just keep that in mind. I think it was just more of a message if you're doing it regularly, there's a lot of benefit to planning ahead, taking a few lighter snacks, being discerning in the airport itself, and getting something half decent and really having that rule of not indulging in that what basically I would describe Leanne as poor quality food just because you're traveling regularly, because it certainly won't be doing your health or your weight any favors. All right, Leanne, Well, I've got a product I want to show you. I don't know if you're going to like it or not. It was just a little bit random because we sort of nutritionally always try and do healthy products and give people options. But I was interested in this when I came across it because I actually know the man who owns this company because he was an ex football player and I think he's a massive South City Rabbitos fan. That's how it probably come across him. Maybe he actually knows the roosters. Anyway, it doesn't matter. It's Sean Garlic who has Garlow's pies. So Garlo's pies have been around for quite some time. There's a big factory in Sydney and traditionally you could always buy them in coals and you know they're very they're pies beef, they're not overly healthy. It's pastry. But in woollies there's this new Gallos Lean beef pies two pack for nine dollars fifty and they've got this big sign on them that says twenty grams of protein. So my tail was wagging when I saw at leam because that's actually really high for a pie. It's really hard in pastry to find anything remotely healthy. Most of the pastry based foods are made by one or two companies, and without being slanderous, they're terrible quality nutritionally. You look at the new ingredient list, they're still containing hydrogenated fat. They're often made with margarine and shortening, which is highly likely they'll contain some trans fats because we don't label for transfats in Australia. We don't know, but we assume it's probably in there. The meat quality and content's very low, sometimes as low as you know, eight ten percent, and sausage rolls and pies like these are the foods we give our kids at parties, like we're off out of our mind. Even the healthier varieties are still not healthy. So when I saw this at twenty grams of protein, I was like, oh, interesting, So I wanted to show you and see what you think. Now you're going to have to help me a bit because it is one of these little woolies things.
Speaker 2: Yeah Joamina, read it up?
Speaker 3: Can you say it and read it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 4: Ingredients yes, So, ingredient wise, the filling itself is fifty six percent and the filling is made up of water as a first ingredient, mince beef thirty nine percent, thickener textured vegetable protein. That's how they're boosting the overall protein because there's not a whole lot of mince in there thirty nine percent. Then they're adding some TVP in there to boost that overall.
Speaker 2: And in that.
Speaker 4: Textured vegetable protein is defatted soy flour caramel color, and then they've used some pie seasoning, which is caramel color one fifty C flavor six three five hydrolyzed vegetable protein, corn flour, and rice flour. Then they've got some wheat protein concentrate again I think, another addition to boost the overall protein content, and then some herbs and spices, and within the pastry that's the remaining forty four percent. So the filling is fifty six percent, paystree is forty four percent. Within the pastry, it's wheat, flour, water, marcharine, vegetable oil. That's our vegetable fats, antioxidant, natural flavors, shortening, which one would assume is probably palm oil or some form of palm oil. Pastry conditioner, I don't know what that is. Pastry conditioner full of milk, acidity regulators, a glaze, more acidity regulators, and some colors. Five hundred four five one one sixty B. So that's our ingredient list. I will say there are a lot of numbers on that ingredient list, Susie, I'm not too sure what the majority of them are. Contains milk, gluten, soy, and wheat from an allergen perspective and nutrition wise per serving. So one pie, which is is it two hundred grams? I think yea two hundred grams is one pie is just shy of two thousand kilosules, so nineteen hundred and seventy kilosules. Twenty point eight grams of protein, so it is, you know, more protein than an average pie. Twenty one point four grams of fat, so about ten percent fat, nearly eleven percent fat overall, so certainly not a low fat food. Ten grams of saturated fat quite a high amount. Forty eight grams of carbohydrate, which is quite a lot for a very small pie, like pies are not that big. Forty eight grams of carb is quite a lot. Two point four grams of sugar very low, nil dietary fiber, which is not ideal from a gut health perspective or a health perspective, And five hundred and fifty milligrams of sodium, which isn't it's not low, but it's also expected in something like a pie. I would say, like, not hugely concerning given that it is a pie, but certainly higher calorie, a good boost of protein compared to most other pies sadly no dietary fiber, which is my favorite nutrient, and quite a heavy whack of carbohydrate for a smaller product.
Speaker 2: I would say, would you agree?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I agree with everything you're saying. It's still a pie. A pie is a pie. It's not a healthy food. But what I wanted to say is that of all the terrible pies in the supermarket, this one is definitely much better calorie wise, four seventy two. It's not low, but it's certainly sort of okay for a meal. It's twenty grams of protein. You never see that in a pie. You're lucky to see eight to ten. And even though the total fat twenty one grams not low, but the saturated at five grams per hundred is kind of not too bad. Like, it's definitely a better pie if you're buying pies. So the reason I wanted to cover it was that so often we're just buying the cheaper brands because they're the party pies. They're the ones that are available, the Herbert Aboms, like the bigger pies. They're all pretty terrible, but if you are occasionally feeling like a pie, this is definitely a much better one, because we really need to encourage the producers of these pastry based products to improve the nutritionals. Like you said, there's colors and additions in here that we would really like to see less of. It's certainly a cleaner ingredient list than we generally see. The meat is definitely better quality, and I think that, you know, in terms of trying to support producers to make healthier versions of of sort of higher fat foods, it's.
Speaker 3: Definitely a better option.
Speaker 1: So I don't buy pies myself at home for the boys, but if they ever said to me, can we get a pie? I would absolutely this would be the one I would get, because I just know how poor quality the bulk of the mainstream pies are out there. So yeah, I just thought it was a really interesting one. And this kind of food you wouldn't have more than once a month, if I'm honest. It's a very energy dense, high fat food. But occasionally if you do really feel like a pie with a salad or some veggies, you know, as a Saturday night or Sunday dinner or something way you watching the footy, this is definitely a better variety.
Speaker 3: So yeah, just interesting, I thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree with everything you said, like, there's no way I'd ever write this into a client meal plan. But if they turned it around and they said, look, I love pies than my soul.
Speaker 2: Food, I really really want one.
Speaker 4: As you mentioned, certainly this is probably a better option compared to the other pies on the market, and the protein boost is nice so that you just have to have the pie with a big side salad. You don't need to then go scrambling to have a bit more protein or something. So it can certainly fit in a busy families lifestyle, but I would be very hesitant in terms of how often you would have something like this, And from a budge of perspective, it's not too bad, Like five dollars for a pie is actually not too bad, and there's a big thing on the front of it saying you can pop it in the air for us, So for busy families, I can certainly see how it may work. But it is certainly what you would call an ultra process food, and it is sort of on par with takeaway that you wouldn't want to be doing it too frequently, but overall certainly better then I guess the other big pies on the market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just think in general we all consume way too much pastry because people often having croissants, you know, party pies, sausage roll is very common for young kids. So I think it's good reminder that pastry is really a food you shouldn't be consuming more than a couple of times a month really when it comes to trans fats and saturated fats. So just keep an eye on your overall. In takestics of the kids, I notice a lot of kids will have croissants and only the weekend regularly, and it really is an occasional food or as the end would say, when you're in Paris, do I say that?
Speaker 2: And even we're reminded of the reath to treat.
Speaker 4: Remember we went to the cafe and we were trying to find something healthy and there was literally just pastries ever, and we were like, oh, it's a healthy option, and the lady is like, oh, there's spinach and feta, what like pastry something. I'm like, it's still it's still pastry. Even though it is spinach and fettera. It's certainly better ingredient wise, but it's still wrapped up in all of that pastry. So it is I agree with you, like, we just probably consume far too much pastry over all. And then that doesn't even bring into your account the desserts, the apple pies, the you know, if you're making your own, you know, homemade sausage rolls at home.
Speaker 2: It's all of that. It all adds up.
Speaker 4: So I guess that leads kind of nicely into our next listener question, which someone's written into us wanting to know what are some of the best super market gluten free foods, and not that pastry is really gluten free, but I do find that a lot of my clients that do need gluten free or that do have Celiac disease, they need better options. And always the response I get as, oh my goodness, gluten free food is so so expensive. So I will start off by saying that naturally gluten free whole foods are always going to be your best. And I know this probably sounds obvious, but you've got to start with the basics. Because fruit and vegetables are no more expensive. Eggs chicken fish tofu beef, there's no more expense from a gluten free perspective, brown rice, quinoir buckwheat, laying, dairy, you've got your milk, you've got your Greek yogurt, you've got your cheese, and yes, you need to check your labels, particularly if you have Celiac disease, to ensure there's no sort of gross contamination or may contein. But our whole foods, they're our basics. And if that is filling seventy five to eighty percent of your trolley like honestly, it should be for good health. There's no extra expense there, so they're of course our basic whole foods. Now, when it comes to some better package options, and Susie and I are certainly no purists, we eat packaged foods. We buy it for the kids. We're busy mums, we're busy business women. We buy packaged foods right, And there are certainly some better gluten free options out there. When you're looking at things like gluten free bread, you absolutely need to find the bread with some visible whole grains in it. Gluten Free white bread is just as bad as normal refined white bread. It's going to give you the blood sugar spike, it's not adding any fiber, and from a gut health perspective, you need to find something with visible whole grains. I really like the Bergen gluten free loaf, and I also don't mind the Helger's gluten free loaf as well. When we're looking at crackers, a Linus from a gluten free crackers perspective are one of my favorites. Table of Plenty do these great little gluten free mini rice cakes, and I'm also a massive fan of the multi grain gluten free corn thins as well. Musally and granola wise, there are quite a few good gluten free ranges in the markets. Probably Carmens and Brook Farm are my favorite gluten.
Speaker 2: Free sort of cereal based options.
Speaker 4: Freedom Food also does a few good gluten free cereals as well, and you really want to make sure they're using a good base of sort of whole grains obviously gluten free ones and nuts and seeds, versus using sugar fillers, so putting in a lot of honey in a lot of maple cane sugar that kind of thing. So there are some better muses and granolas on the markets, and probably my three favorite brands from a gluten free perspective of Freedom Food, Brook Farm and Carmens. Then when it comes to pasta something with fiber in it is absolutely ideal. So my favorite is the san Remo Pulse range. So you've got the lentil pasta, you've got the chickpea pasta. It doesn't freeze as well like sometimes I find if I've got gluten free clients and their meal prepping and they're reheating it, the pasta kind of loses the integrity. So it is nicer, fresher, but you're getting a wonderful amount of fiber and protein within that san Remo Pulse pasta range, because otherwise gluten free pasta is just like white pastas, it's kind of just as bad. It's going to give you the same you know, sugar spike. Yes, if you pair some white gluten free pasta with a bit of protein and some fat, you'll reduce down and some veggies of course reduced down the blood sugar spike. But absolutely the best packaged option from a gluten free pasta perspective is this san Remo range. And then of course lastly snack foods and again, and we don't want to oversnack. There's so much of a temptation in our society to snack, snack, snack, snack, snack where you can choose the whole food options, the fruit, the vegetable stick, some of the better gluten free dips. You want to have your pouches of gluten free yogurt, where you can your nuts, your roasted chickpeas and fava beans. And there are a few better gluten free bars on the markets as well. Carmens is a good brand. There's a couple of other ones as well. I can't think off the top of my head, but just again reading your labels to ensure that it's starting with a great base of either whole grains or some nuts and seeds, not sugar in the first one or two ingredients, including honey, rice, molt syrup, any of your types of syrups, maple syrup. That kind of thing just means it's a high sugar product. So there certainly are a lot of better packaged foods gluten free options. I've been working in the gut health space, working with CLET clients but well over a decade now, and absolutely in the last ten years we have come a long, long long way in better quality package gluten free options, but there are still many any ultra process options out there, and what tends to happen is they make them using a lot of really refined white starches like tapioca flour, potato flour, white rice flour, and these refined starches give you a big blood sugar spike, they give you poor SATIETI ley don't cause a lot of fullness, and there's a very low fiber volume there as well, So even though it's labeled gluten free, you still have to be very picky or very careful with the choices that you choose, and you really really want something with a bit more protein and a bit more fiber in it and a bit of a lower sugar content, because unfortunately there is a bit of a health halo out there that gluten free can Sometimes people assume it can be healthier, but that is certainly not the case. A lot of the time, gluten free options are actually nowhere near as good as the non gluten free options. But if you do do a bit of digging, if you do do a bit of flood label reading, there are certainly many many brands on the market, and there are new products every single month I see in the gluten free category that are a much better for our health overall than some of the main plays in their category, so they're probably my favorite options at the supermarket. Have you got any to add their SUSI device sort of tick them all off?
Speaker 1: I think you've ticked it off really well. I think the only other ones that spring to mind. I know that Mister Chens do in coals. I think they have a whole separate gluten free section, and also woollies, and whilst a lot of those products in are heavily processed, I think the Mister Tens gluten free dumplings are quite a good option compared to say, gluten free pizzas or gluten free crumb products, so they're probably the only other one that sprang to mind. I tend to use the Carmen's gluten free granola. Their Crispy Deluxe is pretty good nutritionally, as are most of their nut type bars, the snacks, all the faber beans which are just naturally gluten free. But yeah, they were the only other ones that sprang to mind when you're going through them moating.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, that brings us to the end of the nutrition catch for another week. Thank you so much for listening and letting us in your ears and trusting us with your nutrition updates for the week. And if you're new to the Pocket and you haven't heard, Susie and I have designed our own scientifically formulated ranges of proteins, creatines and hot chocolate blends, so go and check them out at Designed by Dieticians. And if you have any questions at all, we've got a big page and why creating is super beneficial for all women as you say, most women, And if you have any questions probably best to send us an email admin at the Nutritioncouch dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening and we'll catch you in next week's episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.