Speaker 1: I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners on which this episode is being recorded, the combo marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Conquer podcast. This is the podcast where which have mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development. No matter where you are in your journey, we're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness.
Speaker 2: If you're ready to get into.
Speaker 1: The driver's seat of your own life and stop letting life past you by, then you're in the right place. Hello everybody, and welcome back to the RNC Potty. Today, we have an episode that you.
Speaker 2: Have all been waiting for.
Speaker 1: We kind of easter egged this a while back and said that we were going to chat about going sober or sober curious, and so here we are today. This episode is really interesting because we have a tea has never had a drip of alcohol in her life because of religious beliefs and personal beliefs. Cooper has recently gone sober, even though he's kind of not calling it sober.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just saying he's not drinking at the moment.
Speaker 1: For self development reasons.
Speaker 2: And g over here she's like, why can't I have it all?
Speaker 1: No, you guys know, I have been sober curious, and it's just like, it's a conversation that I want to have because and I tell you, guys, in this episode, I don't really know where I stand with it, like I do, but I don't. But also that's you know what's really interesting is when you don't know, I find it's really easy to not have the conversation, yeah, because you're like, oh, I just don't really want to talk about it because I actually don't know. Yeah, but that's why I want to have the conversation, because I'm like, cool, let's unpack this. And also I just love how brutal Cooper is in this episode. He's like, does not help back, so does not hold back. He's got all the hard questions. But again, we just want to do a bit of like a trigger warning on this episode. We want to be so clear we are not shaming or guiltying anyone who currently drinks or sober or you know, any of the things. Again, this is just a thought provoking episode because I think it's just I think drinking is so normalized, especially in Australian culture, whin drinking is very normalized. I you know, tell you in this episode of like I my go to is bite drinking, and I just thought that was like a normal thing. And so it's kind of just getting you guys to think about how you guys drink alcohol and just you know, the different sides about it.
Speaker 2: But we thought this was.
Speaker 1: A really cool episode because of the different opinions and everything coming in. And again, like I said, I still kind of don't know where I stand with this, But it's just I'm being very vulnerable and raw and real and so as a tear, and so is Cooper, and it's just bringing you a cool conversation.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting to hear because since we.
Speaker 1: Actually recorded the episode, because as you guys know, we record them ahead of time because we are productive galicy, We're prepared.
Speaker 2: We are prepared.
Speaker 1: So I went to Morgan Wollen and I had a champagne at dinner because we had like oysters, a bougie dinner, and champagne is my favorite thing ever and it's like a little celebration thing for me. So I had a faster champagne at dinner.
Speaker 2: Love that.
Speaker 1: And then we went to the concert and I had one gin and tonic pink gin actually, and then Tim asked me if I wanted to have another.
Speaker 2: Drink and I was like, nah, I'm proud at you. I'm done.
Speaker 1: And then I got a water bottle. And then Tim and Charlie, who I went to the concert with, continued. I think they they probably would have had about twelve drinks while we were there, and but like they're, you know, four grown mailmen, so they were like fine, I.
Speaker 2: Didn't understand how much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like babe, And every single time they went I was like, no, I'm all good.
Speaker 2: So I literally had two drinks, had a lot of water.
Speaker 1: After the concert, they were vibing and I was like, oh, I'm going to go back home.
Speaker 2: So I went back to the hotel.
Speaker 1: Went about at like eleven, work up, feeling fresh. Love that they got home at three m they were not feeling fresh, and I just loved it because I had the I had a really fun time. It was I'm not gonna lie like it. It was different, but again I don't think different is bad. Yeah, and it was just different because like most other times, you know, I'll have like you know, six maybe eight drinks. Yeah, and that's like me on that level, and so it was just it was a different experience. But I had a lot of fun and I loved that I could stop after two because in the episode I explained, like it has My whole thing is I go, you know, I go to events. I'm like, oh, I'm just gonna have a few, But once I start drinking, there's like kind of this like limit, and then it's I forget that I'm having a few and I don't stop, which we can.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we can all resonate.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so that was a really cool concept of me being like, oh, I actually can be integral of ione.
Speaker 2: Am gonna have a couple of drinks.
Speaker 1: And it was good because I felt like I enjoyed myself and yeah, so that's why I'm not too I do have a wedding coming.
Speaker 2: Up, so that'll be interesting. Maybe ask me on that week.
Speaker 1: I yeah, it's at the end of April, but yes, So anyway, guys, I think you're really gonna love this episode. Again, I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on this, and we're gonna do a Facebook post in the RNC Facebook community. There's a link in the show notes if you're not in there, because generally like no guilt, shame. I just would love to know where people are at with this and if it has been on their mind.
Speaker 2: Like it has been online. What I love about this episode two is that I don't think I've ever heard someone feel comfortable like you have to to talk about it while they're still making the decision. It's always afterwards and a reflection of their process, which this episode isn't. Like you're very much still in two minds about going sober or not and having that like very I feel like a lot of people who are considering going sober, that's exactly the thoughts they'll be having. And because it's not a reflection of I've gone through this and this is how I did it, it's like, this is what I'm thinking right now. That's what I'd love Mmmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like, well, you know, of course I'm going to be so honest with you guys. And I did have that thought of like, oh, I don't know if I want to bring this to the podcast because I haven't fully processed it.
Speaker 2: I haven't fully worked through it.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, nah, we're not doing that. Like I'm just I get to be me. I get to tell you what I'm experiencing because I know a lot of you guys will be experiencing that too. Yeah, and again, I think a big thing is like having these conversations.
Speaker 2: Because it is it's kind of a hard conversation for me, So please be nice.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: Love that weekly Rex a tea. Mine's bit left field. Tell me. I would like to recommend, if you're feeling like you want to get out of your comfort zone, for people to watch a Bollywood movie, just any so random?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have an actual Bollywood movie that you recommend?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: It just depends what vibe you're in. How do you find them? Like heaps on Netflix Crime. One of my favorites is called Gubby Gushy Gubby Gum. But it's a intense. So if you're not after intense, I wouldn't go there. There's another good one called Dos Dana which is also on Netflix. That one's a bit more of a comedy, but yeah, I watched. Or if you don't want to watch that and you want to watch something English, there's a series called The Romantics on Netflix which actually documents the bts of one of the like the biggest producer in Bollywood film Oh wow, yeah, which I love as well. We love a random rac I know, really random. It's you've got to be wanting to get out of your comfort zone. Yeah, and look that's rek my reck. What's yours?
Speaker 1: I have a bit of a I come in. I'm doing all the self development rex R.
Speaker 2: I love it, carrying the team.
Speaker 1: My recommendation is to re look at and revise, or even if you've never done this, get clear on your boundaries, So your boundaries with you know, your partner, your husband, your spouse or if yeah, if you have one.
Speaker 2: Your boundaries, you know you don't have to worry about that one.
Speaker 4: To do.
Speaker 2: Better? How good? One last, easier, easier?
Speaker 1: Get clear on like your boundaries in regards to your colleagues, or like your what do you call employee?
Speaker 2: Employees? Wow, what didn't I forget?
Speaker 5: Them.
Speaker 2: It's because they just think we're best friend. We are your friends.
Speaker 1: Like you know your parents. Because it's interesting. I've actually been doing this recently, and even though I would had like I would had, I would had sorry associated myself if someone with strong boundaries, Yeah, I actually wasn't fully clear on them. Like I kind of knew them, but I wasn't fully clear. So to actually like write about them is like a whole other thing. And just to kind of know your boundaries and where you're currently at is really really cool. Because also a big thing that I've been thinking about is like, you know, what are you entertaining?
Speaker 2: So are you saying you, you know, don't like.
Speaker 1: Drama, but you're also entertaining having really shit boundaries with your friends?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there's drama. Or are you saying that you want.
Speaker 1: A relationship that feels really stable and like a partnership, but you and your partner have never spoken about boundaries or like being really clear on your communication with like money or you know, those kind of like hard conversations. I think it's just very interesting because again I thought of myself someone with strong boundaries, but then it's like, oh, I actually hadn't.
Speaker 2: Fully set them. Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: And that's even like I was thinking, even you know, with team MATEA, like I hadn't really like I haven't really set boundaries with you guys, even though I think you know them.
Speaker 2: But it's even the big thing of.
Speaker 1: Having that conversation, yeah, to make it explicit, because I think sometimes again, having that conversation is kind of the scary part. But then I've been having a lot of conversations with Tim recently about boundaries, and like I've been with him for nearly eleven years and we're having some of our first conversations about boundaries.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Because there was one that happened the other day, and first of all, he got a bit defensive because he thought I was like getting up him, and I was like, no, no, no, like I just want to be clear with this. I don't think you did something wrong, Like I just I want to bring it up and talk about it so you know, and we're both clear so we can move past past this and both.
Speaker 2: Just be so clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was like, oh okay, and then we had the conversation and now we're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh cool, we know. Yeah, so true and even like you know.
Speaker 1: I don't think it has to be a bad conversation, but there's a lot of fear about having.
Speaker 2: Conversations around boundaries.
Speaker 1: So true, because it's like you think it's limiting yourself with people, or limiting your time or limiting your energy, but it's actually giving you energy because you're.
Speaker 2: So clear now. I think, yeah, it is an uncomfortable conversation because I thought of me sitting down with like, for example, some of my friends and being like, I'm not going to reply to you quick or that sort of stuff. It's like, people will go, is it worth having the conversation because they probably know I'm a bit slow and replying and that sort of stuff, But the clarity is so important And.
Speaker 1: Do they know or do they when you don't reply in three days?
Speaker 2: Think fuck? Do they like me?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So true. That's too weird, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you're probably not thinking that, but also you don't know how the other person thinks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So sure.
Speaker 1: So that's a conversation I had to have with my mum of like, oh my god, if I don't message you back in a week, it's probably just because I'm so busy at work.
Speaker 2: It's not because I don't love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and like she needed to hear that, so she's like, okay, cool, Yeah she's not angry at me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but see how interesting, Like that's such a small conversation. Yeah, but how much we don't have it.
Speaker 2: I love that everybody have this uncomfortable biometree conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love to do a whole episode on it because I think it's it's a cool concept, but I've been like, yeah, look into my boundaries lately.
Speaker 6: All right, guys, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 1: Before we get straight into it, let's just go around introduce ourselves so everyone knows who's talking their voices and also say if you know where you're currently at with alcohol. So my name is Georgie. I am sober curious, I'm not sober. Well yeah, anyway, it's a complicated. I'm in a complicated relationship with alcohol. But this is what this whole episode is about. And yeah, I guess I'm just like sober curious, but I'm not sober and also have.
Speaker 2: Been drinking since I was fourteen, So there's that. Shut up you go next.
Speaker 4: Hello, my name is Cooper. My relationship with alcohol has changed recently. I started drinking when I was sixteen.
Speaker 3: Like a normal person, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's eighteen to be normal. But sure, what eighteen it's illegal age.
Speaker 4: You know, normal, I say, legally weird as a teenager?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourteen issues?
Speaker 1: Are you judging me or shaming me?
Speaker 3: As a brother?
Speaker 2: Yes, we're past that point, thank you.
Speaker 4: Recently I stopped drinking. It was the start of December last year.
Speaker 2: Wo you did Silly Season without alcohol?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That pretty good? Now?
Speaker 4: I was all right, yeah it was pretty good. But yeah, that's where I'm at.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool A tear. I'm a tear and I have never had a drip sip of alcohol drink never. I've never had alcohol for religious reasons and I think also just a lot of my family never did, so I just wasn't exposed to it, I guess, can I ask?
Speaker 1: So, when you went to your uncle's wedding last year, was there any alcohol at the wedding?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Interesting, like, no one in my family drinks.
Speaker 3: Did people dance?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is showing the relationship we have without I think interesting, Like it was a lunchtime wedding, so there was like a bit of dancing, but at one of the functions before the wedding, we have a lot of people got up and danced and there was no alcohol there.
Speaker 1: Interesting, and so you've just never been interested. No, do you think you'll ever taste alcohol?
Speaker 2: I just know I don't think so. I just don't think it's for me. I think I have so much fun without it, and I think I've learnt how to have a lot of fun without it, So I don't see the necessity. Like, I'm just good with one of you guys pre workout shots whenever I go out. That's what I date. Some good shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, amazing. So now you know who's in this potty and where we're all currently at. And I really wanted to bring this conversation to the potty because I have been sober.
Speaker 2: Curious, and I just I think it's very interesting.
Speaker 1: Because me and Cooper come from a background where, like I said, I'm like I started drinking when I was fourteen, going out to parties with friends like binge drinking teen drinking Cooper's sixteen. And then also we grew out where you know, my dad used to have what four beers a night, four to six are n four to six beers.
Speaker 2: A night and like that was just normal to us.
Speaker 1: And also I have three older brothers, so two other brothers and Cooper who all are in the same you know, they do.
Speaker 2: The same, they do the same.
Speaker 1: So for me, even the thought of going sober, I'm not gonna lie, it kind of terrifies me because it feels like so ingrained in the roots of how I was brought up and everything. But I do have, like I have started to realize, and Cooper has helped me a lot in realizing I do have a very complicated relationship with alcohol because I don't drink it because I enjoy the taste. I drink it to get drunk.
Speaker 2: And feel a certain way interesting. Dear.
Speaker 1: Sure, and I think that's actually, like, I think that's a very normal I wouldn't I am not using normal here, Yeah, And I think a lot of people would resonate with that, and and I'm not gonna lie. For a long time, I was so happy with that and it was fine and like as you said, like it was for me and I was fine with that and i was fine relationship. But I guess as I'm becoming more conscious and working with a coach this year, I've just had things come up and realized my relationship with alcohol can be problematic.
Speaker 2: And also I'm realizing the effects it has.
Speaker 1: On me, for you know, one of the first times I guess but I have this, you know, I feel quite like I don't want to be like, oh well, I want to go sober because for me, that doesn't even feel like it's doable right now.
Speaker 2: And I just.
Speaker 1: Want to be very honest like where I'm at. But also I want to open up these conversations because I feel like, just I haven't really heard a conversation like this, and I want to explore it and keep talking about it and let it all evolve.
Speaker 2: It's funny how you describe the thought of going sober, because for me, that that toa skit I am of drinking, Like I don't know anything else than not. Isn't that so interesting?
Speaker 1: Of like it's so polar Yeah, And it's how you're conditioned, yeah, and modeled.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you want to experience the things in life there?
Speaker 2: But I feel experiences I can do that without alcohol.
Speaker 1: And that's like Cooper, that's like saying you can't win.
Speaker 4: It with alcohol, because that's not an experience without it.
Speaker 1: But She's saying she's not interested in the experiences that involve.
Speaker 2: Alcohol, Like so many people go through their whole lives without doing drugs and they don't feel like they've missed out on anything. How's alcohol?
Speaker 3: They don't know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, an experience, Like when you do an experience, you don't know until you do it, and that's an experience. So yeah, but that was just my question to you, why is it You're not like, why would you not want to experience it?
Speaker 2: I just feel like the experiences, or at least what I see of alcohol, it just doesn't interest me because I just don't think it's like where I want to go or i'd want to do. So it's like not.
Speaker 4: Ye, but yes, it's a good point in life, like we should all experience stuff at least once.
Speaker 2: So then you're like, it's just definitely not the top of my list.
Speaker 1: But also I'm going to challenge you on that, Cooper though, because it's for example, I know skydiving is not for me, and I just never want to go skydiving, and I'm just like, I'm just not interested yet and I do, and that's what I want to premise this whole episode of Yet. But it's kind of like, yeah, yeah, look at my go skydiving one day. But I'm like, oh, it's just not for.
Speaker 2: Me, and I think that's where I am at too. It's just definitely not for me. And all the benefits I've heard of alcohol I do without, so I don't. I haven't found that like why yet as to why want to experience it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm going to quickly jump in here and just talk about why my relationship with alcohol is complicated and what.
Speaker 2: I'm currently exploring.
Speaker 1: And Guys, I'm being very raw and vulnerable with you, like I'm not yet finished in my process of this. So I want you to just be like very generous with how what you think of me, if that makes sense, because I'm just I want to be very open. So I'm starting to realize when I drink alcohol, there is a side of me that comes out that it very much feels like the fun Georgie.
Speaker 2: It's the fund.
Speaker 1: Georgie who has no worries, who doesn't own two businesses, who doesn't have a child, and she's in the moment and she's very free, and that's the vibe. And so what I am currently struggling with is I don't want this side of me to be the any time it comes out is when I'm drinking alcohol and how to integrate let's just call it fun Georgie into my life now so I don't feel.
Speaker 2: Like I need to drink.
Speaker 1: And it's just very interesting to me though, because it doesn't feel that doesn't feel comfortable or like that doesn't even feel like. I was talking to my best friend about it and she's like, well, why don't you try, like you know how.
Speaker 2: Ellie does the heels class, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or like you know, I'm very in my masculine energy all the time, so like getting more into my fem energy where I can be more present. But it's just interesting. It's like that doesn't really appeal to me. So I'm trying to figure out, you know, why this different side comes out to me when I'm unconscious, and it's obviously because it's a part of me, but I'm just like, I guess I'm playing with that. And then also on top of that is realizing how I'm feeling after the fact. So when I drink the week after, I'm a bit spatsy, like my whole mood change, doesn't it coober.
Speaker 4: It does, at least until Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like that's just not how I want my life to feel. Is you know, I drink, I'm free, I'm in the moment, but then the whole next week, I feel like I can't show up as a business owner and a mother and that's just like not the vibe. So I'm trying to really be like, well, it's just not serving me. So it's also really interesting that I can't just go sober because that thought, I'm like, I don't know, like that thought, I'm like, bit, why can't I have both?
Speaker 2: But then I like I can understand why. That sounds a bit silly, But yeah.
Speaker 4: For me back before, it was an escape, and I know that's what it would be for you with our stressful life. But it's to dive deep on that why are you escaping your life? So these are the questions you need to ask yourself, Like that's what it is. Like you go, you drink, and your whole life dissolves. All the stress is to dissolve and you escape and it's nice and then you get that relief. So it's that's the question, why are you drinking alcohol? It's like what are you escaping from? And that's they're the issues you need to look at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what I've realized is and that's why it's like, how do I integrate that into my life so I don't feel like I have to escape? And I just I do want to preface this and be like, guys, it's not like I'm like wanting to drink all the time, like I at the moment, I probably drink what once a month or.
Speaker 4: Oh what, okay, once a month, don't I drink maybe once a fortnight.
Speaker 2: When was the last time I drank?
Speaker 3: Oh, but you're conscious now of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but for that, I feel like I've only drunk once a month.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, it's not much.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, it's not much. It's not like I'm drinking every single night. That's what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 4: It would be no, it would just be if you have stuff on the weekends, and I feel like you would have like a sprint of weekends one after the other, and then you would just have a good break And I feel like that's kind of how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it would just be various weekends events. Yeah, but I'm just trying to preface this. It's not like I'm an alcoholic. That's what I'm trying to get. But it is very interesting because it is something where one hundred percent cooper It is like an escape of when I drink. And I think also why my relationship feels a bit complicated is so when I start drinking, you know, I'm like, oh, I'm gonna have one or two drinks then stop. And then I start drinking and I just have so much.
Speaker 2: Fun that I can't stop.
Speaker 1: And then I'm always the person who's like, you know, buying rounds for a run, we're doing shots shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are that gram I am that person. You've seen it. Yeah, you always buy me a water.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, guys, I got tequila shots, but I got a tear of water.
Speaker 2: I got your own.
Speaker 1: No, I was buying you juices at one point. But yeah, I get a bit excitable, and I am that person. And that's even something I'm diving deep on of. I think that's the reason why I am so curious because I am finding it a little bit difficult that once I start drinking, I do end up binge drinking, which again I'm just a point in my life around like this isn't really the vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think you also maybe feel a bit of shame of integrating fun Georgie into your everyday life because of the responsibilities you have though, that's why it's so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't feel natural to me to integrate fun Georgie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it feels, to be very honest, it feels like I have so much pressure and responsibilities in my life that it feels like I don't have the space for that, which is probably which is the issue. Yeah, but that's something I yeah, am working on and trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: Maybe you need to surrender. Yeah, does alcohol help you surrender? Do you reckon? Or no? Just brings out fun Georgie. No, it's just fun Georgie.
Speaker 1: But then it's like it's not that fun because then the whole week after I feel like crap, and it really affects my moods, really affects my moods, and I often feel a week after drinking, I often feel quite like depresso, very sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was so cooped.
Speaker 1: You want to maybe chat about your process of being sober at the moment and what that looked like and why you decided to become sober.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure.
Speaker 4: So I started to see a coach and we both dove on trauma and what sort of coach who's a mind body coach? So yeah, we dove on bringing up trauma and releasing it so to.
Speaker 1: Speak, like kind of like inner child stuff.
Speaker 4: Or yeah, everything everything all around it just when yeah, when I was a child up to when I'm my age now just going through that. And what I was finding when I was bringing up this trauma that it would just be so fresh and I would have even one beer or two that it would trigger that same trauma and I just, yeah, I wouldn't be a really nice person to be around. So my coach actually challenged me to saying, why don't you just not drink for the next couple of weeks. Didn't say go sober or I didn't even have that word in my head. It was just not drinking. That was it then, because even the label of this meeting now is why am I going sober? Like I don't think I'm going sober. I'm just not drinking this period of time of my life. So yeah, I just stopped drinking and then was diving deep on my shit and then I was able to I started to I feel the effects of not having alcohol because I was thinking about it that I probably had maybe a few weeks max since I was sixteen to now to not drinking like even a beer. There was little sprints of having a beer every day, and then I would have a little break of not having them during the week and then doing on the weekend. But yeah, I was I was, yeah a bit like that was pretty cool. But what I was finding was things were changing. My energy levels were going up. My skin this was like a massive one. I started to become more ten like my really yeah.
Speaker 3: Like no joke.
Speaker 2: For reference, Cooper's quite bail. It has not got the olive skin like I.
Speaker 3: Do, and it's fully check like he started to.
Speaker 2: Get more color. Yeah, I think that you're trying to.
Speaker 4: Say, yeah, like yeah, just like in the shower and just in my face as well. Ash should be like, have you got a tan on? I'm like what no, And and yeah. It was just that was like a pretty cool thing for me. Yeah, that the energy my moods, which I didn't notice, but Ash, my wife, she definitely noticed. She said, I just love you when you're not drinking. And that was a bit of a wake up for me to say on the crap like I was affecting her so and then that was progressing like weeks on it, and I didn't take too much notice of like oh I've got to say stay sober or I didn't want to be after the first two weeks. First two weeks I was like, oh, I have it here because I was so used to it. But yeah, two weeks went by. But then now it's just like not on my mind at all. It's just makes me question everything. Of like I've kind of noticed when other people drink, I always question them and I say like, why are you drinking? And then they would say, oh, just as a social thing. And I would say, oh, like why and just keep asking questions about it and they would just say the same sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, my.
Speaker 4: Question always would be like why do you have to do that to be that person? Why do you need it? That would just be more me trying to understand what people are kind of going through, and then I would challenge them, and I don't know, I just kind of but yeah, it's it is crazy what society puts on alcohol as well, like it is normal in society. So yeah, just having those questions of how do you want to feel the next week and do you want to feel good?
Speaker 2: Or maybe even.
Speaker 1: Like being aware of how it makes you feel, because like up until like recently, it's like I just didn't even put my awareness to drinking, if that makes sense. It's just like, oh, I go out, I've been drink. I'm a bit like down the next week.
Speaker 2: But that's just life. Almost wasn't even age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I found that when you're kind of growing up and you're you're looking for different stuff, Like you get to that age.
Speaker 2: And looking from experiences, then.
Speaker 4: It's like the same thing every time when you go drinking, it is the same thing. And then you just kind of get to that point of like do I need this with this person? Am I going to get anything out of it? And am I looking for something more in life?
Speaker 1: That's actually can I just quickly bring something into this convo?
Speaker 2: Coop is a.
Speaker 1: Big thing I realized is drinking.
Speaker 2: For me too.
Speaker 1: It allows me to be more vulnerable in my relationships. So when I'm drunk, I am so open and honest about how I feel and who I am, as we all are. And it just made me think that there was just some relationships there where I'm like, oh, I can't be vulnerable unless I'm drinking with this person, yeah, and then questioning that and going.
Speaker 2: Why don't you feel safe unless you're drunk? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And why like, why would I want a relationship where I cannot be vulnerable or quote unquote you know, my whole self unless I'm drinking with them or even bringing in I feel like this is maybe more of a female thing, but I'm not sure you can tell me of I found with drinking. You almost kind of like, and I'm going to use this word bit just take it with discerment of you kind of trauma bond like you know, with your drinking, and then someone's telling you about something they're going through and then you're like, yeah, I can you resonate And then you bond over something bad happening or feeling a certain way, and you create a bond with this person when you're drunk.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That used to happen to me a lot.
Speaker 1: And I would create these relationships, But now that I unpacked them, I'm like they were really only ever created when I was drinking.
Speaker 2: And that was like a huge moment for me to be.
Speaker 1: Like, ooh, there's something here, and do I want to just have relationships where I have to get drunk to you know, talk to this person or feel this way or open up.
Speaker 2: And even just bonding over things, bad things that have happened to you, if that's the best foundation for some correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, And I say I don't like I'm talking like small T trauma Like, yeah, I'm just using that as a word.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a good release, like it's when it brings up those traumas you you would only bring them up because you're trying to release them and get them off your shoulders or chest or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's really interesting of like I would notice that this would only happen when I was drinking, and I was like, I don't want like not only because it's like I can have deep conversations and connections with people around me, but then certain people it's like I would have to be drinking for that to happen.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 4: Well with your question about is it a female or male? Yeah, I my opinion would be in society it is definitely a female thing because men don't like to share their feelings and be vulnerable because we have to Well, I'm actually on I do the same as you, but I was more brought up with my mum and that softer, so to.
Speaker 2: Speak, the fair energy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've always I enjoyed it because I like to.
Speaker 5: But it might have been how funny Trooper, Like whenever we were like me and Cooper were drinking together and wet parties and stuff, it'd always be like me, my bestiet Isabelle, and like Cooper and.
Speaker 4: With us your friends always with girls, I just connected. But then I'd go to the guys and they're just talking about ship stupid at ship, and I'm just like, I need to get out of here.
Speaker 1: And that's girls. I feel like, obviously you haven't had this experience it here, but like you do, girls go like deep when they're drinking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I've been in the bathroom to clubs. Whoa, it's just so much information for a stranger. Yes, yeah, exactly that vibe.
Speaker 1: But what's even interesting is me even noticing that in friendships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's even.
Speaker 1: Like when you look at your early twenties, like you usually have like a group of people that you're like, oh, who do you ever hang around them when I'm drinking? Yeah, And it's just like it's really cool to question these things, and it's really cool to have a think and be like, moving forward, I actually get to be the leader of my life.
Speaker 2: And moving forward?
Speaker 1: Is that the relationships I want or do I actually want to curate my environment where my connections don't just come from that when I'm drinking, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I think it's also interesting to keep in mind that alcohol lowers your inhibitions, so when like you're yeah, and like your critical thinking is not as effective when you're drunk. So clearly all those things that come up in your head of when you potentially maybe think forward to consequences of actions don't as from what I understand, yes, when you're drunk. Correct. So it's like that's why it's easy to be vulnerable because you're not thinking, oh, what are they going to think about me tomorrow and that sort of stuff. Yep. But is it about maybe working on lowering your inhibitions normally, either with those people or finding people that that feels good with exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, exactly that is I would love to And it's not like I don't, but it's like, that's what I had to realize, is I want to be able to be vulnerable and have that connection with those you know people or future people when I'm not drinking, and it's just such a huge thing for me of like, well, I think I need to start from scratch, and I think that does involve not drinking for a while so I can figure this out. Yeah, that's and that's I guess the big kind of theme that I want to bring in of I don't I guess what terrifies me is like I don't want to say, oh, I'm going sober, because I don't.
Speaker 2: Ever want to be boxed in boxed in.
Speaker 1: And it's even like this is a different concept of like I remember so many people back in the day of they went vegan and they had their whole Instagram following based on vegan and then something happened to their health where they had to introduce animal products for health reasons and they felt like they couldn't because of this box that they had.
Speaker 2: Put them in.
Speaker 1: And it's like I never want to get to the point where I don't feel like I can like change my identity. So I think the word sober terrifies me because I'm like, I don't want to have a label, and that's why I'm like, well, what about this concept of being sober curious where I stopped drinking for a while so I can figure these things out and then get to a place where if I do want to have a drink, I can, but also if I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: Why like what you just said about the vegan example, where their whole Instagram following or whatever was based on being vegan and that was like that part of their idea identity. Why do you think whether you drink or not is part of your identity.
Speaker 1: It just it feels part of my identity because I've been doing it since I was fourteen, and it feels like, like I said, there is quite a few relationships built.
Speaker 2: Just on that, not just on that, but like that's a big thing.
Speaker 1: So that's even something I was thinking about before of like I clearly went soberfore, you know, nine plus months when I was pregnant with Ivy, and.
Speaker 2: Just to confirm.
Speaker 1: And it's really interesting, Cooper, because I went to a Hens and I went to a couple of events and I remember being there and like everyone's getting very intoxicated and me going, oh my god, I do not miss this, Like I'm so excited to wake up fresh tomorrow and just be good. Obviously you're like heavily pregnant, so you're also like not that good, but I'm really tired. But like those events, I felt that way Cooper. I was like, same shit, same shit, different night. But when I was pregnant, the only time where I was like, oh, it would be nice here is when me and Tim went on our baby moon and we were at like the with Sundays and we were at Qualia and like there was the sunset and Tim was having, you know, a wine.
Speaker 2: And he's like, this is the best wine I've ever tasted.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, I would love to have a wine here with my husband as we're in this like beautiful location, but it's like one and then we would just go to bed because that's, you know, what we do. So like that would be like the only moments where I'm like that is an interesting thing to think about.
Speaker 4: Well, I'd like to ask you a question that this is what I'm doing, But why do you have to have a drink with Tim? Why can't you not have a drink with Tim and go deep conversations because there's a reason deeper why you're drinking and it's not in that.
Speaker 1: Moment though, it wasn't because I wanted to go deeper with Tim. It's because the wine was very delicious and it was like a vibe. Like it was like, Oh, I'd love to have a wine and be here in the sunset and like get a photo with my glass wine.
Speaker 2: Why is the wine part of the vibe?
Speaker 1: It just feels the part of the vibe. For me, I can't and this is great questions and Cooper. Just for me in that moment, I was like, Oh, it'd be really nice to have a wine.
Speaker 3: I don't know what is there something deeper?
Speaker 4: I think consciously you have to have a wine with Tim.
Speaker 2: For it to be the vibe like you don't have that wine glad vibe. Yeah, there is.
Speaker 4: A reason why. It's not just because the wine tastes good. There's something deeper. Yeah, why your whole feelings and thoughts go towards it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is interesting. I can think about that. I appreciate that. Guys food for thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're the questions that you need ask yourself as well.
Speaker 1: So Cooper, for instance, if I was to come back and say, oh, well I just wanted to whine, I just it's something I'd like doing.
Speaker 2: What would you say?
Speaker 3: After I just asked you that question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, well, it's just something I like doing. What would you say? Because I guarantee a lot of people are going to think that in their minds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if that's kind of where you come from, like after me already knowing that information, it just means you're not ready to go deeper in that conversation and you can't.
Speaker 3: Push like I can't push you to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it would just be a question and then that question might come up in your head later when you're ready. Everyone has to be ready for everything. You can't push yourself or push other people in to do stuff. It's just just give those questions, let it similer, and then see what happens. But yeah, you have to question yourself and you have to be ready to do anything.
Speaker 2: I think something interesting with that too, is how society has linked alcohol to celebration and.
Speaker 1: Glam and lux This is me and champagne.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that also might be where you might be coming from with I need it for the vibe is in. You want to feel luxury, you want to feel good, you want to feel like you're living the life and everything that's been shown to us in media, we consume in like people we see that are on platforms. Alcohol is there if you're celebrating something, you pop a bottle of champagne. If even when athletes win like whatever games, they're popping champagne and they're spraying it on each other to celebrate this amazing thing that's happened, and almost unpacking the effect that's had on your subconscious of oh, I'm not celebrating it or appreciating enough if I'm not having a glass of champagne, or it's not relaxing and glam if if I don't have a glass of wine in my hand, and almost but just like unpacking that in your head on why because I feel like for some people they might feel they need it for the vible just because they want it, but it's because it's associated with that I'm celebrating myself and to do that, I need alcohol or I need champagne.
Speaker 1: And unpacking that And that's such a great point to bring up because it is so true of even me saying, well, it's been conditioned to me since I was fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a condition. Yeah, it's something that I feel like it's like and probably before you were fourteen, of course.
Speaker 1: Because I saw my parents, well my dad drink, you know, my whole life.
Speaker 2: Even movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, So that is so like, that's exactly right. And it's really interesting because you know, I'm the girl who's.
Speaker 2: Like, don't put yourself in a box. And then I'm like, but I need.
Speaker 1: Champagne to celebrate, But it is it's like, it's I'm so glad you said that, because even I'm thinking, now, if I do have something I want to celebrate, like I do, go and buy a very extensive bottle of champagne because it makes me feel a certain way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm like, oh, so interested. I'm so curious.
Speaker 1: But that's like, it's really cool to even question these things because how often do we just go through life not questioning anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, question everything? Question everything.
Speaker 1: Do you have any last questions for me and Cooper before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cooper, do you think you found it easier to go quote unquote sober because you just decided not to drink rather than put yourself in the box of being sober because the tear.
Speaker 1: Cooper also hasn't really announced this to anyone, and That's what we just spoke about before we came in here of Cooper's like, I haven't really told anyone this, And that's what a tear is saying. Because you don't have that label, do you find it easier to just not drink?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just when people say john't have a drink, so I'm not drinking, like okay, And how it really has said much?
Speaker 2: How did that go over silly season for you? Was that a hard adjustment or after the first two weeks it was super easy. Because I feel like a lot of people will say, oh, I could never not drink, or I don't drink. I only drink at events, and December is obviously always full of events and New Year's and that sort of stuff. And how did you go over that period without alcohol?
Speaker 4: It depends on who you hang out with. So I found certain people mean you hanging out more, Yeah, like those people that drink and need to have a drink. Like I was a few people that I was around and they were like, I just didn't understand, and I'm like, I'm just I'm just not drinking, like I don't want any Yeah, So they'd.
Speaker 3: Be like, why because I don't want it?
Speaker 4: I just so they wouldn't really affect me. Then from that, you just don't want to be around those sorts of people, So it channels you into hanging out with people that don't drink.
Speaker 3: You try and find those.
Speaker 4: People and the support of people, or you're just like I was just hanging out with my family and Ash doesn't drink, so that was a lot easier. But yeah, it's the influence around you is the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: I love that me. Yeah, Georgie, why do you think it's taken you so long to get to this point of like, because I know you've been saying for a while, I'm super curious. I'm super curious. I think even when I started working here, I actually did say that. Yeah, so that's a year. What's been like the block for you? Let me sit with this and think about it.
Speaker 1: I think I have used alcohol as a crutch as like we were discussing previously, of you know, an escape or for me to feel connected to certain people and relationships and friendships. And also previously, like I was very much in the mindset which I'm not gonna lie, I still am of why can't I drink and then still have the things, you know, if you even think of my whole brand, it's like you can have it all vibes, and so it's like, well, why can't I drink but just have a couple and then still feel good the next week? But then what's what I'm starting to realize.
Speaker 2: Is I don't just have a couple. I have more than a couple.
Speaker 1: And also, if it is this whole, if you just have a couple of drinks, Cooper has then challenged me of like, but why even bother having the couple of drinks, Like what's that Because.
Speaker 2: You're not even getting drunk? Then at that point, are you correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and still poison Like it's still a couple of drinks. It is still going to poison your body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and your system is still not going to be.
Speaker 4: Like I'm gonna feel good tomorrow because I've only had two drinks. Yeah, You're still going to get the effects from it, You're just.
Speaker 2: Not gonna feel as bad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think they're probably the two things that have kept me.
Speaker 2: And then the.
Speaker 1: Big realization that I had what was that maybe like a month ago, was at the moment I'm also working with my coach on some things that I said to Cooper, like very similar to him in regards to I feel like I'm and because I'm doing like a little shadow work at the moment, which like I've never done before, so mentally it feels hard to me and sorry complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So i feel like.
Speaker 1: I'm getting these winds and aha moments and I'm uncovering things and unpacking things, and I'm like going up the ladder and then what was happening is I was drinking, and then the next week I would almost fall back down the ladder, like I would literally forget our har moments. You'd forget them, yeah, and I'd have to go back through like my voxa and like replace stuff and be like, oh yeah, like do you mean like it just it made me foggy? Yeah, And I think it's always done that. But because I have a goal and I have someone who's making me accountable right now, and then also Cooper who was going through it, and you know, him telling me his experience and how he's feeling, and me resonating and be like oh yeah, I actually, like I do resonate with that.
Speaker 4: And so it's not even You're just exposed to people that are doing it. So I'm not really saying anything to you, but you're seeing that what it's doing to me, and you're buying it, Like you're now realizing that that's.
Speaker 3: What I want. I want that in my life.
Speaker 4: So it's like to expose yourself to those people like that bring you up, which is what I'm gonna at, sorry, like be around those people that you want to look up to, and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: All the people that.
Speaker 1: I also think it has to be the right time for you, because for example, I've been around a tier who has never touched a drink for over a year, and so it's it's like it's come to this like central point of me realizing how much it's affecting my personal development and also how important the personal development is to me right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: And then the journey you're on these little things where you're having a drink and now I'm realizing that's just your journey and that's the path that you need to be on to get to where you where you want to go. So you can't put yourself down for doing that, because we all need to find those lows then correctress up.
Speaker 1: And also I think it's like similar to Ukiper, It's like I don't want to put a label on it, but I want to have the autonomy to make a choice. And it's like I felt like I haven't.
Speaker 4: Like on that note, I'm not gonna go sober for the rest of my life right now. It just this is what feels right to me. And it's so great that I've experienced not having alcohol and then I've got that experience and now I'm so aware of it. So because like I'm gonna have a beer. I'm gonna drink later on, but just when it seems fit to me, because I'm actually going on a boys strip in a few months, and I was it's been going over my head and I talked to Georgia about it, and you have challenged me. But I appreciate your challenge of not drinking, but I am doing my own thing of challenging myself to having a beer. I'm gonna have a beer and see how I feel and if I feel shit like I'm not gonna drink, or if I feel good, I know that I'm going to feel a lot better without it the next week, or I don't know. Just like I'm flowing with what suits me and my journey. So I just yeah, like you said, there's no label. I'm just gonna that's it. I've experienced what I've experienced, and.
Speaker 3: I think forward.
Speaker 1: I think it's though, think about like the cool thing of bringing in the awareness about this. So, for example, when Cooper said that he might drink on this boys trip, obviously, my answer was but why, and we went, you know, he answered, and I went, but why yeah, and you're deep on it, yeah, and his answer, you know, it was very interesting and I think that's still something that you know, you will continue to unpack. But it's like, at least we're having that conversation exactly. So it's like, to me, it doesn't matter if Cooper drinks or doesn't drink, but it's like us having that conversation beforehand, him diving deeper and like.
Speaker 2: Understanding and like being able to then make a choice too. Yeah. I find the word sober interesting too though, because I feel like there's a really big stigma around it. But for me, it's like a state of being, Like I would never describe myself as a sober person. I would describe myself as someone that doesn't drink. For me, sober only comes in if you're at an event and or you're driving home or something and someone says, are you sober, as in, do you have alcohol in your system currently in the answer is no, it's not. I've never had alcohol in my system and I never will. It's currently right now, I don't have it. Yeah, that's interesting, and I just find it interesting that a lot of people get like there's a lot of pressure on a word when that's not even what the word means. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that, like looking into what's the actual language around this? It's the axual definition. Mm.
Speaker 2: So how do you feel indoor deep to end into it the podcast feeling like I'm gonna have some shampagne tomorrow and.
Speaker 1: Release after this conversation, I need a champagne.
Speaker 2: No, I'm Jack and Jack and Jackie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's really cool, like to even have this conversation with both of yous, just like really cool to hear your in a tear and obviously Cooper, for you to share on the podcast, and then for us to continue our conversations about this.
Speaker 2: It's really cool and it is so.
Speaker 1: Right of it is interesting to think of, for example, if we never had the drinking model to us and it didn't feel like a condition similar to a tear. How would we feel and how would we be with alcohol? And that's just even something. And it's obviously like I truly believe you pick your parents and you pick your journey here. So I'm not questioning that.
Speaker 3: You pick your parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I believe when you come in as a soul, you pick your parents to learn certain lessons.
Speaker 2: That's cool. Yeah, anyway, you're welcome, mom, You're welcome mom, and dad. I am a hashtag blessing. Yep.
Speaker 1: It just looks away And so I'm like, that's even a cool question to think about, because it is you're so ratit here like it is, it's conditioning.
Speaker 2: So it's like if you really get to the crux of.
Speaker 1: Like why you drink and what are the you know, reasons of then questioning those reasons any last thoughts or questions.
Speaker 3: Coop, we would have drunk. But if they didn't drink, we are we.
Speaker 2: Would have drunk.
Speaker 4: You're okay, Yeah, the stress levels and the high level lifestyle, we like, it's just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but maybe something maybe if we maybe if we didn't have the same parents, it would.
Speaker 2: Be so stressed. Well, that's it, definitely, No, we joke, we joke we love our birds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we definitely do.
Speaker 4: But that's how they've lived their life and that's how we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very cool. Well, I feel very excited because very much. You know, I fucking love a challenge, goober. Anyone tells me you can't do something, I'm like, let's go. So now, you guys have this kind of feels like a bit of a challenge. And in saying that, I do want to say I like, I personally.
Speaker 2: Want to be able to move.
Speaker 1: Through life and not like you're saying, have like have to just subscribe to a label and have to identify. And it's like I just get to be me and serve me and make sure I'm asking myself these questions.
Speaker 3: Yeah I do.
Speaker 4: I want to challenge you on here, Georgia, to do to challenge yourself.
Speaker 3: This is for yourself as.
Speaker 4: When there is an event or something where you think you are going to be challenged to drink, like, challenge yourself and ask yourself those questions of do I need to how do I need to perform the next week, how do I want to feel?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Are these like drinking on that event? Do I need to be drunk at this event with these people? And what am I going to get out of it? Like, ask all these questions and then that'll guide yourself. So yeah, I'm challenging.
Speaker 2: Okay, you heard it here. I got it here.
Speaker 1: First, I'm challenging you.
Speaker 2: It sounds good, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the opposite. Yeah, scrap.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: If you have enjoyed this chat, make sure you come to our Facebook group. We're going to have a post there. I just would love to hear your thoughts and yeah, let's just like open up the conversation, let's challenge ourselves.
Speaker 2: Let's question.
Speaker 1: But also I just want to preface and just say when we're talking about this, like, if you are someone who drink, this is not us shaming you no or trying to make you feel guilty or anything like that. We're literally just we're talking about our experiences. We're talking about currently, what we're processing and what's happening in our brains and just bringing you on the journey.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would actually like to know what everyone else thinks and be open about their journey and where they're wanting to go and.
Speaker 2: Where they're at. And if that's living your best life party, then do it? Love that for yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you need to do that, then that's fun. Like if everyone's on their own journey about this combo, be open.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 2: All right, I'll go have some water.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conker podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Risinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community.
Speaker 2: We're an independent.
Speaker 1: Podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform.
Speaker 2: You listen to would be so amazing.
Speaker 1: And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great.