Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown.
Speaker 2: I'm Viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 3: And I'm Matrolope a ride for ozopen dot Com and Viv. This week we're going back into the archives almost exactly on this day. Thirty six years ago, Australia's Nicole Bradkey, then known as Nicole Probus, made the semifinals at Rolling Garossi in nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: It was an amazing time in Australian tennis. Nicole was just eighteen years old at the time and really announced herself on the world stage with a series of three set wins, including over the fast rising Rancho Sanchez for Carrio and even held a match point in the semifinal. Nicole talked to our colleague Luke Denahee on a life changing campaign in Paris.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for coming in today, Nicole. It was an exciting time in nineteen eighty eight for you, at only eighteen, you made the French Open semi final and I think for Australia it was really groundbreaking. My research tells me that I think the last time in Australian Dian from Oltz made the French Admanals nineteen seventy nine. Right, yeah, So I just want to start off where did the love of clay come? Because you know, Australian, especially in that era, we're known for grass or maybe hardcourt, but not really clay.
Speaker 5: So where did it come for you?
Speaker 6: Well, as a proud Victorian, I grew up on what we call anti car courts, which are very similar to clay, but anti car court, so probably the grain is a bit bigger, whereas the clay is more a powder. And so I grew up playing all my junior matches from very young, like eleven, all the way through on anti car court. Every tournament I very rarely. I never played on hard court growing up. It was mainly well, a little bit of synthetic grass, but not many and that was when I went into state. But ninety nine percent of my tournament play was on clay. So therefore I knew how to slide and more importantly, knew with my coach Ken Richardson, had to construct a point.
Speaker 1: That's what you find on clay.
Speaker 6: You have to be a little bit more patient and then you have to pick your moments when you want to be aggressive.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 6: I had a great coach, and he taught me a lot of ingrained a lot of those messages in me, and I guess that's why I had a bit of success on the clay courts.
Speaker 4: You did because the year before you were seventeen and you made the second round of the French Open. What was that experience like that and did that help you for nine eighty eight.
Speaker 6: I was fortunate to have direct entries into most of the Grand Slams when I was very very young, and so I really didn't have to go through the hard slog of qualifying. So yeah, playing you first, I mean my first for a into Grand Slam was obviously when I got a wild card here at the Australian Open when it was played at Quyon seven. Yeah, there would have been eighty seven, so and that's what kickstarted my ranking. I actually won my first round, So when you win a first round of a Grand Slam, you generally get pretty good bonus points and so then I had to pay my team and have all.
Speaker 1: Over second round on senate clo.
Speaker 6: So yeah, the Australian Open, and then the following year obviously it moved to Melbourne Park. So it's just a really good experience of feeling what it's like to play in a Grand Slam, And obviously you always want to do well in a Grand Slam because, like I said, there's bigger bonus points, there's obviously more money on offer, and all those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: So that's why the Grand Slams are pretty important.
Speaker 5: They were. So what was that era like?
Speaker 4: And we'll go more into more detail later on, because you had, especially in Naty eight, I think the third seed was Chris Evertt and Matt never had al Over was the second seed, and then you had of course stephie GRAFFI was I think your age, it was the number one seed. Really, it wasn't incredible era for tennis, wasn't it, because you had those legends and then you had the rising stars as well.
Speaker 5: What was that like?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just I mean earlier on you get a little bit all struck. But my coach Ken Richson, who was traveling with me at the time, like he would get me to hit with all these different players that they be similar age or older, so I would get acclimatized. It wasn't sort of overroaring for me to go out and play these players, But yeah, I was sort of the tail end of coming into play when Chris Evertt was sort of retiring and things like that. But then, as you said, you know, you had Monica Salis, you had Chris Evertt, you had Serbertini Novotna. And also they were players that played vastly different where today, other than Ash Barty, a lot of the players play the same. So there was a few more single handed backhands, they sliced a bit like Stephie Graftd or you had Monica that hit quite hard off both sides. So there were really vast different players, which was terrific.
Speaker 4: And I think what we'll discuss this in your matches at the French Ope, and there was a lot of different styles there.
Speaker 5: What did you prefer to play against?
Speaker 4: What did you like the slice back end or you know, as you said, at Ranches Senta's, Ricario Sabertini, they had very different games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I didn't mind it. I mean I played Stephie new of times. It was almost whenever my name was there, I was in her type at the draws. You get quite used to playing players like that. But I mean Stephanie, Stephie was a phenomenal athlete, so she was able to run around her backhand a lot of the time and obviously hit her foehands. So I think a lot of players got spooked by it, and then it becomes a mental thing where it didn't sort of really bother me, and I learned how to slice as well and counterpart that and things like that. So that's where the mental side of the game comes into it, where a lot of people, a lot of the girls until recently when Ash was playing, they were just you could just see them thinking what am I going to do with this slice backhand? How am I going to play because a lot of them had such extreme grips that find it very difficult to counterpart the slice backhand.
Speaker 1: So I didn't particularly worry me at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very interesting.
Speaker 4: Now going to the French Open, you'd won the one round the year before, you're still on the eighteen.
Speaker 5: Can you remember back what hopes you had for the tournament.
Speaker 6: You just hope for a good draw, that's what you hope. You hope not to get a seed, that's what you hoped for.
Speaker 1: And I have expla.
Speaker 6: You know, you always once you see the drawer and I guess you're not playing a top seed as the number one seed, or number two seed or three four first round, and it was it was a decent draw for me and I you know, the first two rounds were okay, take.
Speaker 5: Us through if you can remember those first three rounds.
Speaker 6: So the first round I don't remember much, but obviously you're quite comfortable playing.
Speaker 1: You know, a wild card.
Speaker 6: You think, okay, I should be okay here, which I was. I went quite convincingly. And then I remember, you know, the second round match another French girl, which obviously the crowd's barracking for the French, and that was a lot tougher, you know, losing the first set and then having to win the second, but you know that they were tough matches and you've often for you to succeed in a to go further into a Grand Slam, you've almost got to have these tough matches to begin with. And I felt like that second round match almost put me in good stead for the matches that were to follow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you think it at AJD as well? Like nothing to lose? Is it different playing that when you were say twenty five?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the older that you get you do yeah, I mean not you get nervous, but if you're not playing that well, little doubt creeps in and like that's what I keept saying, the mental side of things. But I always felt comfortable playing on grass. So if I knew that, I always kind of backed myself and knew that I could I could do pretty well on it.
Speaker 5: I'm great.
Speaker 4: So Laudia Cota kills a different player again, and I think from she had a slice back end. Yeah, and top ten in the world and seven to six and the third that's I.
Speaker 5: Mean, that was Can you remember that?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 6: I remember that the court that I was playing, it was a beautiful court. I think it was show caught to at the time. It's this beautiful circular court that is just really nice to play in because the crowd feels really encrunched on you. And sometimes when you play on the bigger courts, you can get court so far back because there's so much room from the baseline to the back of the court, and so you really have to be aware of where you are on the court. And Claudia was a really great doubles player as well as she played with Helena Sikova, so a lot of success there. Hit the ball really flash and once again, you know I'd played a tough three set match the day before, and generally you play one match and then you have the day off and then But I was saying to you earlier on, I was still playing double doubles and mixed as well.
Speaker 5: So can you remember who you're playing with? That's a trivia question.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 5: I can't.
Speaker 1: No, No, that was a bit hard playing with Todd. No, no, no.
Speaker 6: We only did that I think a few times, all right, Wembledon, and he just said, I can't.
Speaker 1: Play with you.
Speaker 6: It's just too It was just it was just too traumatic for him. So you had a big schedule, Yeah, I did, but you know that's what you're there for. You're young, you should be able to do that. And so I managed to sneak through and win that match against seven six in the third set. So yeah, I was hitting the ball pretty well, and like I said, she hits the ball flat, so I felt I didn't mind that.
Speaker 1: Her type of game was nice to play against.
Speaker 4: So you make it to the fourth round, and that's incredible, you know, yes, eighteen years old. Yes, And I guess back home, I got a lot of press and stuff because you were only eighteen, And did you feel any pressure or anything or was it just like I'm just doing my thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I hadn't. I didn't feel any pressure. And I was saying to you earlier as just fortunate enough that my dad had come over and had been I was in Strasbourg the week before, playing in the singles and doubles there and Dad came there, and then obviously came and it was nice to have obviously a fan remember there to enjoy the success that I was having, So that was really great. So, yeah, it was I was up tired at times when I was playing. I mean, you know, obviously against Silvia and it was another seven six seven six.
Speaker 4: Fourth round, Silvia handacup, fifteenth seed, another German. That's another close one. So you've had a lot of you know, it's not an easy ride. No, no one's pulled out or anything. It's a tough one.
Speaker 6: And you know, the more like tough matches and these tiebreakers that I played, you almost get match conditioned to playing, so it just comes sort of naturally. You don't sort of think about it too much. You know, you've got to play the percentages and things like that. So it was a good one to get over the line nevertheless, of.
Speaker 4: Course, so you're in the quarters now, yeah, and we'll talk about you play in a minute.
Speaker 7: But what was that feeling like as an eighteen year old? Like pretty exciting. Yeah, I can't lie. I was looking at the money absolutely thinking well, this is a nice little paypacker for the day. Oh I can't even better even think about it, but yeah, it was. It was exciting.
Speaker 6: And I even remember getting a telegram from the Prime minister so gone that we didn't have obviously the Internet in those days.
Speaker 5: What was that like?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess how could your parents and your friends at home keep up to date?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I mean, you know, i'd reverse charges back home to mum and dad, and I remember, I mean dad was with me at that time, but obviously when I was playing a lot of matches, Dad it would have the radio on at night to listen to hear the update of results overnight and things like that. So in some ways, it's it was a nice way to grow up, and you know, you didn't have the scrutiny so much, so you yeah, it was just very, very different, and it was kind of glad that I actually grew up in that era where obviously it's very different now.
Speaker 4: In the quarter you're playing a rancho Sensors of a car who I think was sixteen at the time. So really two very young players just starting their career, and you won that seventy five three sixty sixty four. Another huge long match I can imagine be over two hours or something.
Speaker 5: So what can you remember of that match?
Speaker 6: I remember it more beforehand, right, So you get to the courts and you normally have about a half hour warm up for this reason, I do not know why, but I was so uptight, so uptight, and I was practicing, and rich I was with me and my coach, and I just had a complete Meltdown's if you on the court, meltdown and just sit and just walked off and said.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I just can't.
Speaker 6: I've got to I've hit enough, I'm out of here, I've gone.
Speaker 1: And so I walked off, went into.
Speaker 6: The chain rooms, had my moment, came back out, and rich I just sat me down and just said, look, just got to enjoy yourself.
Speaker 1: You've got nothing to lose. Obviously she was younger than me, But.
Speaker 5: Did you know much about it, elf?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, like we were growing up and we were sort of our journeys were happening at the same time. But obviously she went on had a very successful career. Yeah, and then I calmed down and I think it might have been on senate court.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, Sta Cort come down and.
Speaker 6: Came down, went out there and then ended up winning her three sets.
Speaker 5: Again, another long match. And you're talking about the different styles.
Speaker 4: I mean, going from someone like Claudia around he's like a brick wall.
Speaker 5: Yes, how did you find that? And how did you find playing her?
Speaker 6: Well, she wasn't the sort of play that would hit you off the court, so you always felt like you had time. Her back end was a lot better than her forehand, and I mean she didn't have a huge serve, but she was quite a crafty player, dropshot a lot and things like that. So yeah, I just had to sort of navigate my way through the match, and once again, you know when it got tired, I just obviously played the bigger points better.
Speaker 4: And you got there. So now you're in the semis. So yeah, you talked about what it was like before the quarters.
Speaker 5: What were those couple of days and you know, the morning of like, oh, it was.
Speaker 1: Just you know, I was exciting. No, no, no, no, it was all good after that.
Speaker 6: I'd got over that little hump and you know, you stick to a bit of a routine and things like that that you do.
Speaker 1: And obviously playing Steffie, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Was a raver.
Speaker 5: Sorry.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so she's a similar age as me as.
Speaker 5: Well, one year younger. I think she was the thirteenth Sea but a different game again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, very yeah, very crafty, lots of drop shots and I had a match point.
Speaker 4: You did, so I wanted to I wanted to see if it's ok to ask you so that the result was six three six seven in the tiebreak, yeah, and seven to five, so wow, amazingly close after all the tennis you've played, So take us through that.
Speaker 6: So yeah, match point played it really well, played it great. But she hit a ball like within a millimeter of the line. Five four was five four, you know, I played the point well, I mean it just hit a bit of the line and that was the luck of the drawer, I guess. So, and then yeah, obviously she went on and won, but it was it was a very good, great match because.
Speaker 4: I mean you won the second set, it would have been a pressure there. Yes, seven six, so it was a real it was a.
Speaker 6: Real tussle between but once again a player that was not going to hit me off the court, but very crafty and obviously at that stage in the early have been a very successful doubles player as well, so she was quite crafty with the way that she played.
Speaker 5: So how did you feel?
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask, like, you had the match point now and looking back thirty five years later, is it different now or.
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah, I mean I could have hit I hit.
Speaker 6: I think it was a fourhand return that she was serving, I think, and I hit maybe an off fourhand, and I was thinking, oh, maybe I should have gone down to her forehand. Okay, she should of, but you know that's you can't. So it's just those little things. But it wasn't like I missed a return or I missed an easy shot or she played a tough point.
Speaker 5: Yeah she did.
Speaker 4: And incredible feeling though it must be to have made the semis. And then I have to ask that the next match she lost six Loves Love in thirty two minutes, which I think is a record against it. It's a bit of you, like, I'm kind of glad it wasn't me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I reckon I would have got a game, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean memorable Toiament for a lot of ways.
Speaker 6: That six Clubs club, yeah absolutely, so yeah, I mean those sorts of matches you just want to get off the court and just walk away. But yeah, I mean you'd like to think that you could do better than that, but who knows. But I've never lost to her, love and love and I played her numerous times.
Speaker 4: You did, you did, and you actually had a win in five years later in the Fed Cup six one, six six one, so it's very rare for anyone to have a win.
Speaker 1: And it was in Germany to Germany.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so yeah, it was a and Wendy Turnbull was the captain at the time, so yeah, I played a great match that day.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so you had a win against Stephani're not many people did so that era of hers, and you've done lots of tennis commentating and you've been around the game, coached a lot and fed carp and all that. I mean, she won the Golden Glad Slam that Earth four Slams and she only lost the French the next year to Ranch Sanchez Vicario, So an incredible time. What was it like in the area of her like were you did you did she speak much or no?
Speaker 1: She was I.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't say recluse, but she was a very guarded player, not much.
Speaker 1: She would just nod.
Speaker 6: She wouldn't really offer much conversation or things like that. So and Monica was quite similar. Yeah, a lot of the top girl. I mean, they were probably the main two around.
Speaker 1: She was always.
Speaker 6: Bubbling on for a bit of a chash, but Stephie and Monica would keep to themselves and yeah, not you wouldn't know much about either of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really interesting. I certainly did dominate, didn't they. And it was a fascinating time. If you look at the today's girls, how do you think, like a Stephie would go against the top players?
Speaker 5: Now, I don't think she could probably beat them.
Speaker 6: I think she would do okay, just because she's got that game that's very and she was super athletic. She had a great fourhand, and once again she had that sliced backhand that would give a lot of girls a lot of trouble on any surface. And I would say even even Monica would do pretty well as well, because she was the first of the real big hitters of both sides. Stephie, okay, great fourhand, but you know, the sliced backhand and things like that.
Speaker 1: But so it wasn't until then.
Speaker 6: Probably Lindsay came along Davenport that was a really big hitter of both sides as well, So but I definitely feel that Stephie could match it these days.
Speaker 4: Did you see the game change a lot when you were playing, because as you said, we had my Tina and you had like even Claudia Cota kills you on a very different players till ten years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's the coaches as well.
Speaker 6: When I was playing, say, a lot of the coaches, they encouraged a lot of the players to play doubles as well. You weren't just playing singles, and so I think when you play doubles as well, you learn to volley, you learn to be do all those other aspects of being a tennis player. But the coaches at the time obviously played like that as well, where I think a lot of the coaches these days were just backcourt players didn't really come to the net and play, so therefore they don't teach it a lot. And for the life of me, I can't understand like a lot of these girls have got these awesome ground strokes, and then I mean, okay, they can hit a dry volley, but to come in and hit a volleys, they just don't do it, so they don't really capitalize on these great groundstrokes that they have.
Speaker 4: Was it a joy then to see I mean Ashbardi win the French Open. She's the only one in Sam Stones can run her up. Since you're semi final I think Sam made the semis as well. So it was a long time after, wasn't it. So when you saw Ash win and you've been there. That's center court.
Speaker 6: I actually came in a lot, even though it was on clay, because if I did get a player out of position, I did work on my drive volleys a lot. And like I did say, I was playing doubles as well, so I kind of knew where to go on the court. If I came in behind a ground stroke, I just didn't run to the middle of the court. You kind of follow the flight of the ball and all those sorts of things. So yeah, I just really encourage I'd like to see that the top crop of players just you know, playing a bit more doubles, because I definitely believe that it does help their singles.
Speaker 4: So looking and talking about Ash as well, I mean you're run incredible three sets. You know how tough it is on the clay to win. So does that make you think her achievements remarkable?
Speaker 6: You've been there, yeah, I mean clay's hard to win, just because you're out there spending a lot more time out on court. And then the other you know, it's the grass is a little bit different, it's a little bit more forgiving, it's a bit more softer, you can, the points are probably a bit shorter. And then you go to the US Open where it's really hot and you're playing on the hard courts and very similar to hear it at Melbourne Park now it's really hot. So it's the Welsh you've got to be a great player. It's almost the survival of the fittest as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. So just in summary, like what are your real main memories of that time?
Speaker 6: Pretty magical, Yeah, it was just I mean it's your first real foray into I guess getting getting deals as well, like clothing and shoe deals and racket deals and endorsements, a sort of put me on the map, which I was very fortunate to be able to do, and then having Dad with me, and then also with Ken, my coach, Ken Richardson's to have, you know, all the hard work that he puts in to enjoy the success as well. I think it's just not about yourself. You often talk about players and their team. Well, obviously when I was playing, you didn't have physios and all those sorts of things with you. But it's lovely to share in the excitement and the thrill of doing really well for others as well.
Speaker 4: And just one last question, you did get that win of Steffie as we discussed, Yes.
Speaker 5: That feels good.
Speaker 1: That feels really great.
Speaker 6: It was at a time where my parents, both Mum and Dad, were traveling and we were actually at the golf in Sandwich watching the British Open, and I was with Liz Smiley because she was coming across with me as well. And when the drawer came out, I said, Tom, at all, we're playing Germany.
Speaker 1: You most will just go home. You most well just go home.
Speaker 6: And so they are at the airport and then they called me because we'd played that day and I'd won. So Mum and Dad were sort of very disappointed that they weren't there to see it, but yeah, it was a nice one to win it and win in a team environment as well. For fed Cup great and we got to the final that year, so when we lost to Spain, so it was once again it was nice to enjoy the success with other people as well.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: Those are some magical memories from Nicole as she looks back on a really impressive career.
Speaker 3: And also she's another example of an Australian doing well in Paris. When we chatted to Paul McNamee a couple of weeks ago on the sit down, he did allude to the fact that Australia you know, doesn't have the same traditional success at Roland Garros or affinity with Clay. But since Provos made the semi finals in Roland Garros, we've had Sam Stoves who make the final. We've had Ash Barty win the title and even now at Roland Garross Alex Demonors through to the second week, the first Dozzie Man to make it this far in seventeen years. So you know, Ozzie's on Clay. There's some good stuff happening.
Speaker 2: And speaking of great stuff, we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit down when we turn our attention from clay to the grass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll be catching up with Stephen Farrow, a former tournament director of the Queen's Club Champion Chips and now the tournament director of United Cup. And yeah we'll get to pick his brains and all things tennis on grass and in the UK.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, you can tune into John and the team on the Aoshow Weekly on Thursday. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes. Remember to subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, Matt, see Viv