Speaker 1: One thing I noticed over the Christmas period was everyone's talking about the best Christmas movies. Yes, and I wanted to get your top three car movies.
Speaker 2: Okay, so undoubtedly my number one is Back to.
Speaker 1: The Future and a car movie, because I was thinking that too. But yeah, I guess it is.
Speaker 2: I'm going to class it as a car movie because that basically spawned my passion for the dolore and I'm desperately seeking one somewhere. So that's that's very much one of one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: I have a mate of mine who actually owns a Dolaurian in Geelong. Ah, that's cool. If you see one driving around. Yeah, nice shout out to Matt Wilkinson.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm jealous. That's that's cool. I still love those things. They're notoriously unreliable. There's there's a couple of really great documentaries on I think Netflix about Delarey and The Car Company and The Man, and you've got to watch those if you haven't seen that before.
Speaker 1: So that's number one. Yeah, that's number one.
Speaker 2: Look, I think Ronan, I think that the car I've.
Speaker 1: Seen is that that d Niro film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to watch The Car chase scene like it is, it is spectacular and look, I think I'm probably going to offend a lot of people here, but I cannot stand faster than the Furious at all.
Speaker 1: I think it's just the biggest load of bullshit ever.
Speaker 2: And I know that some people froth over it, but I just it does nothing for me, and I think it's so stupid, and that's why I like realistic films.
Speaker 1: So Mad Max mad Max were part filmed in Geelong, so that's probably why I don't like it too much.
Speaker 2: It was in like Lara, they've got some of the original Mad Max was sort of film there. The third one is is actually something interesting. So the third one, when I was a teenager, I think it was BMW that released these. But who's Madonna's husband and Guy Richie?
Speaker 1: They've got oh yeah, Guy Ritchie and Sean Penn. She she went out with.
Speaker 2: Guy Richie is the familiar one, but he basically directed these films for BMW. They were short movies. They were like four or five minutes long each and they all featured a different BMW vehicle and they all had these expensive car chase scenes and that was just so cool, absolutely awesome, and I still got the DVD somewhere at home, so I think it was called The Chase or something like that, but that was paid for by BMW, and I think it was just fantastic, absolutely fantastic.
Speaker 1: So theyre are my three. Now, surprise, Thelma and Luiz didn't make your top threat. Remember when remember when John Claude van Dam did the splits between those two giant trucks. Yes, yes, oh my god, that could have been. That should have been a movie. That should have been the way he started and ended. You're gonna hate my top three. I'm gonna say number three, Fast and Furious one only because I know, because disappointed. I just think when you're a little kid and you're going into the cinema. When I wasn't a little kid, I just got my license and that that had come out, and I just thought, fifty huh your license at fifty? All right? Blood, you know the red crack in the old jokes. I think you're actually, to be honest, probably probably, I don't look at that. Oh well, all right, John English, come down. That is a very old reference.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So Fast in the theory is one. What do you like about that?
Speaker 1: I think it's vin Diesel's commitment to family.
Speaker 2: Good of the memes, I'll give that to you because that was the only one I enjoyed. From there, they just got progressively shitter.
Speaker 1: But you got to know too that that was that was such a brilliant era in cars because there was the rise of the WRX, Yes there was. The street scene was huge with Japanese cars drifting. Yeah, and also nice little appreciation for the classics. Yes, it was Suki's Honda AS two thousand in that Oh the pink one she bought that, didn't she?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was that. I remember seeing it at the Peterson Museum.
Speaker 1: Did you notice how much of a ship box that car was?
Speaker 2: It was really bad, really poorly done it. Yeah, magic you look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look inside it and it was just, oh, you felt like you were catching the bloody std just sitting in the thing, which I did all right, fast and furious. Is number three. You're gonna hate it, But for some reason mad Max kept coming back. And I was gonna say number two. But also was the new one the Fury Road or something? I quite like that one. Okay, I mean here's the thing. Can you count Batman and all those sort of films as car movies. I guess I shouldn't have said back to the Future. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just think when I think car movie, I think movies with.
Speaker 1: Cars in more car check cool car scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just cool car things, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's Lose Brothers. Okay. Number one, this is controversial, the Furious number fifteen again Vin Diesel's commitment to Fanboy. Number one is Rush. Oh yeah, with Chris Hemsworth. It was the Nikki Lordo. Yes, his name James Hunt. James Hunt. Yeah, that's your biopic. Yeah, that was actually pretty good. Otherwise I was going to say somewhere in the top ten would have to be what is it Ford Versus Ferrari? Oh? Yeah, okay, cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I thought Rush was actually pretty good. That wasn't too bad. The Ford Versus Ferrari film was pretty good as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I'd be interested in hearing from you. If you're listening to this contact at the drive show dot com today you let us know what your top three car movies are and whether they actually have to have like actual car things in them, or whether they could be.
Speaker 1: Backs of the future. Guarantee someone's going to write in I thought the Best of Bathurst on my DVD was the best car movie of all times. All right, what are we going to talk about today? We're going to talk news. We're going to talk stuff about Lotus in a second, some sad news. I think about Lotus, but I guess that's the world. We are some stuff about the Ford, Mustang land Cruiser, land Cruiser, Yes, problems with the land Cruiser. We're going to review the Porsche te Can Turbo. I nearly called it the GTS. But yeah, let's talk Where do we go? First? Lotus? Lotus.
Speaker 2: So the Elise, the ex Siege and the Avora have been taken out the back and shot and killed.
Speaker 1: They are dead. They are gone making way for is it the Emira? Yep so production has ended. Yeah, so this is an interesting one because they also came out with this mad ass electric looking car which I can't pronounce, Yeah, the Avega Avia whatever it's called the e Vagina, And I mean it's the priceest supercar you've ever seen. It's incredible. But I love that they've taken parts of that and they've put it in this mirror. July twenty twenty two. I'm not quite sure if I'm right here, but I'm going to say mid engine it was a Toyota three point five, yes, or the engine out of the eight forty five AMG.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the small one, the two leader, Yeah, the hand grenade. At any point it could blow up because it's got so much boost. I've got a bit of trivia here for you. So basically, those three cars that I mentioned earlier that they've now killed, they were in production at the company's plant over the period of twenty six years.
Speaker 1: How many do you reckon they built? I don't think many.
Speaker 2: So over twenty six years, how many do you reckon? They sort of rolled out? Twenty six years is a long time, almost.
Speaker 1: Thirty years downwards of hang on, we're talking twenty years.
Speaker 2: So I would take whatever you think they produced per year, multiply it by thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Jesus kind of just say, look, I just reckoned all up under fifty thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh that was close, Okay, So fifty one thousand, seven hundred and thirty eight, I reckon, that's a lot. Really, Actually, maybe it's not over thirty years. Let me just do the sums there. Fifty one massage now divided by twenty six you've got a calculated there two thousand a year, which is a fair bit.
Speaker 1: That's what that's worldwide. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was expecting it to be far less than that. So, you know, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: And all in between as well.
Speaker 2: Lotus was bought by a Chinese manufacturer, so they're currently you know, the under the sort of guys of Chinese production and they're going to be they reckon. They have a production capacity of one hundred and fifty thousand vehicles at the new Chinese plant, which covers an area of over one million meters squared, which is a lot. So they've invested one point seven billion dollars into the plant, which is.
Speaker 1: Where is that situated, by the way, is that in China?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a Chinese production plant.
Speaker 1: Well you'd be surprised they could find an even cheaper place than China.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see, you know, how it goes with this new car. I find it interesting that they're going down the path of taking a Mercedes Ben's engine and a Toyota engine, and.
Speaker 1: They've rund the Toyota engine for a while.
Speaker 2: That right, Yeah, but you look at it, it's like the toyte engine you would think is very reliable, and then they just go and get a Mercedes engine.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, it's an interesting with the loadus, isn't it had a very up and down history. I love them, I just I think they're great. I know they've they've got their problems and issues here and there, and you know, there's certain models where I think the key would be to join some sort of forum to find out know what you're buying. But I think they look cool. I think the newer Mirror I get why they've kind of stopped these as sad as it is, I get why they've stopped them and just moved it and concentrated to the Mirror. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm excited to see how it goes because you know, as much as they have a check at history in terms of reliability that there've always been fun cast to drive. There, immensely capable, and I think that the Mirror is paving the path to a more sort of streamlined sports car that isn't just a hardcore track car. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see how it goes. And I think the ev future is interesting as well, because everyone's moving, you know, to that space and it's going to mean big things for Lotus, and it means that you can have a fast accelerating car fairly easily because you're just strapping motors to batteries and they have the nouse to make a handling car, so they could actually be a force to be reckoned with once it all sort of rolls around.
Speaker 1: And I think this a mirror is probably going to be their last petrol car.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean it's it seems to be heading that way. So you can see why they've gone and just taken the engines from established brands. You just get that out of the way and then away you go. They've got a platform that is going to be dedicated to the electric components as well. So yeah, it is exciting stuff and I'll be ken to see how it sort of pans out for them.
Speaker 1: The almighty Toyota Land Cruise of three hundred, which we reviewed in a previous app Ye, basically, if you want to grab onto the steering wheel of the new Land Cruise of three hundred that you paid one hundred and seventy five thousand dollars, well, here's a bit of an impression that's actually just me knocking on Paul's head.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, look, we've exclusively reveal that Toyota is currently investigating a knocking issue in the new three hundred series. And look what happened initially was when we drove our first car, which was a VX. We had to borrow it from a dealer because Toyta couldn't get us a car to test, and the car had five kilometers on the clock. And I first observed the knocking sound when we were doing some off roading and assumed it was an issue with the car's pre delivery. And I thought, look, I'm not going to mention anything. It's a brand new car. It hasn't been pre delivered correctly. They'll sort that out at some point. We then drove a subsequent three cars after that, so we had a Jar Sport, a Sahara ZX.
Speaker 1: And they that's pretty much the top of the range ones too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, plus another and they have all had the exact same knocking sound and it happens at low speed on corrugations. Toyota claims that it has something to do with the steering system and that they're currently investigating the reason I'm concerned about this is it wasn't isolated just to the media vehicles which were all used for the media launch and then given out to media after that for some sort of fairly hard driving. If it was the case, i'd think, well, they're probably the first cars in the country. Maybe there was something wrong with them. But the fact that this has now been observed on a customer's car, which a dealer demo which will eventually become a customer's car, plus these three media vehicles, leads me to believe that it is an issue with the vehicle in general, and if it is, it sounds because it is hardware.
Speaker 1: Related, that it could mean to recall at some point down the track. If it is found to be a problem. You can't even call that a shipping issue really if.
Speaker 2: It's happening on all three Yeah, exactly. So, Yeah, it is disappointing because they spent a lot of time engineering this car. The driving that we were doing was very basic, and it would stun me if they didn't observe this during the engineering process. So I am surprised that it hasn't been picked up and the cars are now getting delivered with these issues.
Speaker 1: So there was something going down with the Ford Mustang Mark one where You're basically promised all this stuff and it didn't come with said stuff. So then Ford came out and said, well you can have you know, here's a showbag of goodies. Shut your mouth if you know what's good for your tuts, slaps them on the cheek. So that's just what I did. Paul sometimes tell no one, yes, you hear me, and he zips his pants up and leaves the room with a very sad face.
Speaker 2: Well, let me explain what was going on for those of you that are still listening.
Speaker 1: Basically, Ford, when they offered the.
Speaker 2: Mark one for sale here, there was a long waiting list and customers were basically waiting around to get their cars, and they were given brochures when they first ordered their cars indicating what you would get with them.
Speaker 1: Now, these cars, for those that.
Speaker 2: Don't know, a special edition sort of track oriented cars that use some of the elements from the GT three point fifty Shelby vehicle. In the States, they cost over eighty thousand dollars before on road cost, which is twenty grand more than a GT manual. And Ford basically put together a brochure that said it had all of these features right, and someone at Forward whether it's just a marketing internal someone has made the mistake here by mentioning things that it would have that didn't have. And these are things that are available on the US vehicle but not available for some reason on the right hand drive Australian one. And these included things like a torson limited slip differential, rear parking sensors, led fog lamps, Mustang mark one floor mats, and ambient lighting in the door pockets. So those things weren't included, so Forward identified the issue. After some customers complained, they offered them either a full refund so that's your deposit.
Speaker 1: Everything, which is fair enough. That's nice. Yep, you can walk.
Speaker 2: Away if you don't want the car, or a cash payment of five four hundred dollars plus and the addition of some free services and a track day as well.
Speaker 1: So that's good. That's a good compensation, like six.
Speaker 2: Or seven grand worth of stuff there for your enduring what you enjoyed.
Speaker 1: I'd love to guy, I'd like I just love to hear one of the people just going, I don't care what you're giving me. I paid for mood lighting. I want my mood lighting and just throws five thousand dollars cash on their face.
Speaker 2: You thought that'd be the end of it, right, and Ford would just in front to be happy. The A Triple See then investigated because someone must have complained to them all or they would have seen what was going on. And the A Triple See came out and said, okay, well we've had enough of this Ford, we're going to find you. And they find them fifty two thousand dollars. It's like fifty two thousand dollars you guys, actually serious?
Speaker 1: Fifty two grand? Yeah, oh oh, seems a little steep, but see that and then just throws it at their feet. No, you pick it up. It's a slap on the wrist anyone would take. You know what it is.
Speaker 2: And that's a thing. Okay, fair enough, you know Ford did the wrong thing. But they went above and beyond here and if you were going to find them, find them properly.
Speaker 1: It's a weird statement to kind of make you know what I mean, It's like a it's what does that show the industry exactly?
Speaker 2: Well, this is my concern, right that we every week we get emails from people talking about their cars and all these issues they're having in manufacturers that refuse to fix them properly. Let's maybe crack down on these people and get involved in chasing car companies that don't give people their consumer rights as opposed to just these random things they're doing at the moment.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, very strange to me, Posha taken. Shall we talk about this, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty two Porsche tay Can bold unapologetic, seriously quick. Prices start from one hundred and fifty three thousand, six hundred dollars for the entry level all the way to three hundred and forty eight hundred dollars for the tops Big tay Can Turbo is.
Speaker 1: Tay Can take the pusha too Can. Yeah, it's a burning it's an exotic bird. Tell us how you would pronounce it? And Porsche as well?
Speaker 2: Is it Porchet, Porsche, Porsche Porch?
Speaker 1: When I bought it, Porsche was telling you specifically by the dealer, Yes, you had to call it Poorscha.
Speaker 2: Poorsche, Okay, and Tykahn, how do you pronounce that's a contact at the drive show dot com.
Speaker 1: Do you tell us how we pronounce these things? Something with an Australian accents? Fine? Maybe the Menaro, so you can get to the taie cam. Would you could I just quickly share a Menaro story? Oh please? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I used to do these radio segments on this car stuff and.
Speaker 1: With the old Persion station. I remember listening to your program. It was the worst show on radio. It's borderline finch if.
Speaker 2: One time I had to talk on a camera station about speed cameras. It wasn't that Chorea highlight on the Manaro Highway And I read it as Menaro because that's exactly how it's spelled, exactly, And I called it Menaro like seven times. And after I hang up the phone, I don't listen to the station. After that, they had all these people call up saying, who is that guy? Because he can't pronounce the name of the road properly. I'm like, well, you can't pronounce the name of the car properly.
Speaker 1: So let's so it's pronounced Miniro, Miniro, yeah, nero. And I'm like, oh, that's not how it spelled. So in these parts we call it Miniro. Is this bloody university trendy renaming our Yeah. As someone who's worked in tiny towns in radio, I can tell you now if you mispronounce a suburb on the radio. They will, Oh my god, they will know. They will let you know about it. You're ready these names where you're just like, what is this? Oh, listen, there's been a roadblockage and Kicker can around. Make sure you turn left to tear a bag apart as a deed tour anyway, taycan taken taken. So this is the second one I've driven now. The first one was a cross trismo.
Speaker 2: This one that we just checked out out the front here is a just the standard Taykwan in turbo trim, and I guess if you're if you're unable to picture of this in your head. It basically shares a platform with Panamira, so it looks very similar to a Panamera in that sense of the body shape.
Speaker 1: And it's priced between I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to get this right, a kN and a Panamera in terms of pricing, is my understanding. So it kind of slots in between those two in terms of how much it costs.
Speaker 1: It's starting at around two sixty eight. Well, it depends which one you go for. So the Tykon for s, which was the entry level. Then they're now going down the path of offering real will drive and so on and so forth. But the Taykon for S started.
Speaker 2: From one hundred and ninety one thousand dollars, so that was when they first launched here in Australia.
Speaker 1: The Turbo then.
Speaker 2: Put that up to two hundred and sixty nine thousand dollars, so it's climbed episode slightly since then. And there is a Turbo S which sits above that at three hundred and thirty nine thousand, and that's.
Speaker 1: The top speck, isn't it. Yes, And so the GTS is kind of that sort of sweet spot, right.
Speaker 2: The GTS will sit between the four S and the turbos, so there's a little bit of breathing room there.
Speaker 1: Now when it comes to charging these bad boys up.
Speaker 2: It has the ability to charge with at eight hundred volts. You can do three phase charging up to twenty two kilowats, which is pretty insane for just a standard road cart. Before I came to see you today, I was charging at a fast charger at a peak of two hundred and fifty six kilowatts or something like that.
Speaker 1: So that's we're on the borderline of sounding interesting and informative, So which I don't do talk to me like I'm five years old. For two seconds.
Speaker 2: So between ten percent and eighty percent, it took twenty minutes, okay, and that adds around three hundred kilometers of range. Right, It's it's very fast in terms of how it charges, and it has all the infrastructure on board to allow it to do that. So, and then in terms of performance, it will do zero to one hundred in entry level forest trim at four seconds, and as you move your way up it tops out at two point eight seconds in the turbost.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind, though your particular line I think is around about three point one yep.
Speaker 2: But keep in mind with Porsche, the numbers they quote are always just not right. You always get much better than that. So the standard turbo will probably do a two point nine, and then the turbo s will probably do about two point three or two point two, which.
Speaker 1: Is just megafast. That's madness. It is just crazy. If you look at a Tesla models right, and you've got the Porsche take ant turbo. The Tesla's notoriously great at driving in a straight line. This seems like that too, But what do you think handles corners better? Okay?
Speaker 2: So This is a heavy vehicle. So when I say heavy, I mean over two tons, and it's.
Speaker 1: More than like I say, a Ford F one fifty. That's a big car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well on fifty is aluminium, so it is fairly light. But this is heavier than a Ranger for example. So the tykwon Turbo twenty three hundred kilos. So it is a whopper of a thing, and that's because you have a huge battery pack beneath the skin. But being a Porsche, it handles incredibly and it uses a forty eight vault electronic stabilizer at the front of the rear, so when you're going around a corner, it's able to basically keep the body dead flat as it powers out of the corner. You've got adaptive damping and it feels like a Porsche, and I think that's the important thing. It actually feels every bit of Porsche that a Panamira or a kN with this kind of juice wood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the start of Porsche pretty much going to all electric, which I think they'll do. Yep. Maybe for history's sake, they'll keep the nine to eleven petrol as long as they can. Yep. Do you think that they're losing something going to electric.
Speaker 2: No, Look, if it's done properly, they won't and I think this is done properly. The only thing I didn't really love about it it's got a two speed gearbox, and normally with an EV the whole reason they're so fast and potent is because they don't have any gears. It's a single speed transmission. The problem is, though that transmission can spin up to something like seventeen thousand rpm. The higher the rpm, the less.
Speaker 1: Talk that you have.
Speaker 2: So if you're on the autobar and doing two hundred and twenty k's an hour, which is very realistic for most cars, let alone a sports car like this, when you nail it, you want it to hoof a long.
Speaker 1: You want to feel it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're in a Tesla doing two hundred k's an hour and nail it, you genuinely would feel in terms of the talk and the acceleration, it would feel less than what you would feel in a Golf GTI taking off, So it is dramatically different as the speed picks up. Well, that wasn't good enough for Porsche. They wanted to be able to do two twenty to nail it and to get pinned back in the seat. The only way to do that is to have gearing, and they have a two speed transmission, and up until around sixty k's an hour, you're in first gear, so for rapid acceleration, at some point it will seamlessly transition to the second gear and then continue accelerating. The problem is when you're doing low speeds and it's already in the second gear, or you're doing lower speeds and it's in the first gear and needs to transition to the second gear because it thinks you're going to go beyond that sixty k and hour mark. You can actually feel it kicking back a gear and I don't really want to feel that in an EV.
Speaker 1: But outside of that, it is a whopper of a car. Five hundred kilos of power, eight hundred and fifty meters of talk like it's some serious stuff. And Mi car even has the option of the externals speaker. Oh everyone, Oh so everyone could hear? And you can you still set that external speaker to different tones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't really have a great deal of customizability with In a Tesla, you do, Oh God, here we go. In a Tesla, you can actually talk to people and they just, yeah, they just did a firm more update for Christmas where it will play like Christmas tunes and flash the lights for you.
Speaker 1: I mean that's the equivalent of wearing rollerblades in a fanny pack. I just I want to say, I want to say a word, which I'm not going to. What do you think of the design? I like it? Do you know what's funny is everyone was when the Panemira came out. I think generally the consensus with the Panemira was you ever loved it or you hated it. And I think a lot more people hated the design than loved it. I feel I think it was about the original one or the current one. I'm going to say the original. Yes, we're right. And I heard all these wacky stories, like one of the heads are Porsche was like, I want to be able to fit and zeeback sit, so the roof needs to go over my head, like hence that kind of weird sloping roof, And so it's weird that they've come out with like a design that is similar in a lot of ways. I like it though, I really do. Look, I love Porsche. I love what they're all about. I love how everything generally inside I'm not talking about the electric but generally as a brand. I think everything with that car is so wonderfully in sync and there's almost like this I don't know, harmony or cohesion everything. It's such a road feeling car, if that makes sense. God, I've bloody done four episodes of you sound like such a wanker down but affected you. Yeah, if you're saying that this car feels like a Porsche, I think that hats off where it's due. Because if you can take something like that and move it to electric, that's that's pretty incredible. Whereas you look at say Tesla, they never kind of had that at the start. You know, they were sort of you.
Speaker 2: Set your own soul right, and their soul is technology more than what Porsche has and Porsche has to you know, if you're transitioning from a vehicle from a Porsche into this, you want it to feel familiar. And that's why it still has the stupid turbo badge even though it doesn't have a turbo. To a customer, when you're going to go ask them for two hundred and I've just had to look at the updated pricing here. When you're going to ask them for two hundred and seventy six thousand dollars for your new electric car. They're going to go excuse me, and the you go, no, no, it's the turbo. And then they go, oh, okay, that's fine because the turbo is the expensive one in the rest of the range. So I get the mentality right, and it's it's an easy way for them to do it. And to be honest, the turbos, yeah, it comes with additional stuff like your carbon ceramic brakes and everything. But the margin on these now is crazy because you can take a turbo with effectively the same motors and batteries, plug a computer into.
Speaker 1: It and go, you know the type defects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then all of a sudden you've got an extra fifty kilowatts or something and you haven't had to do a thing, but now you can charge them an extra almost eighty thousand dollars for it.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you say that because I was comparing this to say the GTS, because I thought we were looking at a GDS today, right, But if you look at the pricing, say the turbo's two sixty eight or two sixty nine, the GTS is two thirty seven. Right, one thing you're getting on both cars is dual motor or will drive four forty kilowatts on the GTS, five hundred on the turbop so only sixty killer watts more zero to one hundred on the GTS in three point seven, zero to one hundred on the turbo in three point one. Yep, I just I kind of feel like the GTS would be the sweet spot.
Speaker 2: It is, and that's the thing I forgot to mention earlier that now with the real will drive version of the tay Carn that's entered the range, that starts off at one hundred and fifty six grand, so that's actually realistic money for people stepping up to a GTS then actually brings you a whole lot more above and beyond that. So they're really filled out the range beautifully with vehicles to choose from.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know. I like what they've done. They need to work on things like storage.
Speaker 2: With an EV platform, you have so much extra room around motors, and this platform has denied them the ability to actually have TESLAS type storage.
Speaker 1: So there we go. Good.
Speaker 2: So I think that they need to work on that, and once they do that you've actually got a car that is really fun to drive.
Speaker 1: It's incredibly comfortable.
Speaker 2: Like I've been carting around my daughter, my wife, all of our shit for Christmas and it is just a highway cruise that it is beautiful. So yeah, I think it's a great car. And if you are a Porsche owner and you want to get one of these, you will feel the Porsche sold in it. It feels like a Porsche.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you call it. The infotainment system on the passenger side, I guess I don't think how much is that as an option.
Speaker 2: It's something like fifteen hundred bucks or something like that. They add a second screen.
Speaker 1: It's literally right next to the middle one, and it gives you nothing that the middle one like it. It's just mirror a mirror image of the middle screen. It just seems so pointless. It's like it's basically therefore, generally, if your passenger wants to choose the music and.
Speaker 2: They can't be bothered extending their arm by four centimeters.
Speaker 1: To choose the GPS location, like it's that's silly.
Speaker 2: Look, it was a novelty thing, I feel, and I just don't think it'll be there in the future because Varrari's tried to do it, Everyone's tried to do it, and it's just it's pointless.
Speaker 1: It looks cool, don't get me wrong, but unless it's going to serve a purpose, a better purpose than what it currently is.
Speaker 2: Now, I showed you the as well. What did you think about adjusting those the events? The events you can adjust them? When did you show me that your memory is like a goldfish roughly forty five?
Speaker 1: Right now? What do you expect?
Speaker 2: So with the events, you can't manually move them. You have to actually go into the settings and.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, yes, sorry, the air conditioning events, yes, okay, so I think we're talking about the things on the front of the car.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's dumb, that's silly. You literally go into the computer system to change the direction of where the air is coming from the air con, whereas you can do that in two seconds flat just manually using a normal like it's that's pointless. Yes, I will throw it. Just when you're going one hundred k's an hour down a highway and you're trying to like figure out the air con. There's nothing good about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotta say, my Tesla does that so my model three. See Rosy, you have to do this.
Speaker 1: I feel like on a I feel like on a Saturday night you say all right, honey, I'm going out, and you just sit in your car, sit in your Tesla, and you're like, because you can watch YouTube on your test, like, can't you. I feel like you just be like, all right, I'm just going to type in my favorite porno here and then it's up comes cor expert. Hi Paul here. Oh yeah, now getting set? Am I doing? Here? Oh? The Tesla s the model as This is the bit where I point out the interior. Right now, I'm going to point out my interior. Then you just get this. It is so disturbing. Well, it does have white seats, so it's well, it's very easy. Just wet one in the glove box. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the reason I say I pulled it out by car there is because I don't actually remember the last time I moved the vents, because once you set them once, you don't really touch them. And I think now that I've spent the second sort of week in this in this car, I haven't actually moved the vents after setting them the first time, So I think it is stupid but equally, I think that you don't worry about it if you own the car. But second to all of that, I think that imagine the weight that's added by those and the complexities in making that work. Surely it's just easier to have manually events than having to faf around with that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they wanted to do something innovative, I feel like there's a better way they could have done it, and that was not it. Yes, I agree, But great car, yes it is. I think it's an important car, and I think it's Porsche putting the EV market in an amazing space or pointing it in a great pathway. I feel like there's more to come, obviously with this car, because we're still early days. But the main question is which I kind of know the answer to already, But would you buy one of these over your Tesla, your beloved Tesla?
Speaker 2: No, not because I didn't like the car, but because I've realized that with a young daughter and all of the shit that comes with that, it just would not suit us. I can, you know, the pram fits in the back and all that sort of stuff, but going away for Christmas, it was impossible to load things in. There is a cross charisma version. I test that out recently. It's like a wagon right, But ultimately I would just wait for the mccahn. I would like I would buy a Porsche version of an EV that has storage because I really like what they've done with it.
Speaker 1: So do you like the McCanns. I don't hate them at the moment.
Speaker 2: I don't love them because even like the turbo version isn't just really all that fast for me. But if they do a fast version like this, I would buy an EV Porsche.
Speaker 1: So they'd be doing the mccahn the Cayman as well. Yeah, I think so Cameman and boxed. It will be ev afied. That's an interesting one, isn't it Because when you look at when you look at that they're engines. The kind of selling point with those is the engines are in the middle yep, beautifully weighted. There must be some amazing engineering going on if they can do that in this.
Speaker 2: It's actually easier with this because your battery pack sits on the floor, so you have a low center of gravity. Your motors can then be in line with the axle, so then you can play with how much weight you want over the front or rear to get you that weight distribution that you want. So, if anything, it's easier with an EV to get the fifty to fifty or or whatever weight distribution you want to suit them vehicle.
Speaker 1: In addition to that, you.
Speaker 2: Can also like you can control how much talk is going to each wheel instantly.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. Yeah, it's finessing. Yeah, why we wrap things up. Top. Three cars that you're looking forward to for twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to the new Forward Ranger, so more specifically the Ranger Raptor. I think that's going to be an absolute beast of a thing. I cannot wait to drive the Audi e Tron GT so, yeah, the Audi version of the Taekwon Turbo. I think that looks absolutely stunning.
Speaker 1: And I think that looks it looks proper coal, doesn't it. So I think that'll be really cool. And then third one good question, what else am I looking forward to?
Speaker 2: I think the the other one that I can't really wait to drive, as well as the Key EV six Ah yeah, the GT versions. So, I mean we've driven fast cars now from Portcha and Tesla, but I'm going to see how the Koreans do it and what their take on a fast ev is and I hope it's good.
Speaker 1: I hope it's not. Ship I can tell you one of those things is on my list. Oh so one of them, which I haven't driven yet, is the Young Day I twenty en and possibly I'm going to can I put the I thirty Sedan in in that rank as well? Let's go on, what else did I have I was looking forward to. I was going to say the Lotus and Mirror, but I'm going to swap that for Yeah, I'm going to swap that for the EV six yep, again, the GT not the GT line, the GTEP. I love the advertising for that. It's cool, just it is cool. That's that's very well done there. That will be interesting, it'll be it'd be really cool to see how they do that. I wanted to put the Ford Bronco in there, but that's never coming to Australia thanks to I guess the Ford Ranger or pretty much the what's that? What's that other one? The Everest Oh, yep.
Speaker 2: The Everest of the Fall Drive version of the or the SUV version of the Ranger.
Speaker 1: They reckon they would never sell the Ford Bronco here, and like they they knocked off markets like the UK, New Zealand, I can't remember, Africa, South Africa, Japan, they're all right hand drive markets. I thought that's so quite well here I would.
Speaker 2: Sell very well here. But ultimately, if you look at the numbers they're doing in the States Australia, even if it sells incredibly well here, even if they sold as many as they do the High Lucks or Ranger, it still wouldn't be much compared to what they'll get in those left hand drive markets.
Speaker 1: If they added more to the price tag, they should be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially, but still it means tooling up a factory to do right hand drive, and it's just a huge amount of cost for not a massive amount of volume.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did see the Lamborghini Hurricane, yes, and I thought about that. Is it sto or starsto? Yep, I'm going to put that on there. I don't know how to pronounce it, but shit, it looks good. It does look great. If you go onto Lamborghini's Instagram page, you've got to see how they advertise their cars. It's so strange.
Speaker 2: So have you seen this.
Speaker 1: There's like a woman and sitting there like riding in her journal in a field. There's a car. Let's say it's a hurricane right near her and it's going She's looking up and she's like, no, no, not today, not today, I'm not today. Please, I'm riding on my journal. Don't do this to me. Now.
Speaker 2: Last week we ran a competition to guess the engine sound that to be.
Speaker 1: In a bit of trouble here, but go ahead, yes, would you like me to reveal it?
Speaker 2: Yes, because we had what I believe is a successful entry, and I will also reveal what I'm going to send this person. So can you please reveal the engine sound it was?
Speaker 1: Here's the controverty Okay, basically it was a VK commodore. Oh it sounded like a very broken Yes. It was their first startup in like ten years. Oh so it had come out of a garage covered in dust. Yes, I never would have picked that. So what am I sending them on my desk? I have We're going to send you a picture of Paul. Yes, I've got a set.
Speaker 2: Of driving gloves signed by Ken Block. So Chris, congratulations on guessing that and probably cheating, but you will be getting a set of driving gloves signed by ken Block himself.
Speaker 1: Which Paul uses in his tesla. In his tesla, yeah, he's driving gloves. Give me extra group. I'd like to send the show out just with actually, you know what you could this could be your music where you're hosting a radio show. Welcome to midnight, Paul. Yeah, you do your best, sort of best you do? You give me your best radio DJ. I'll do my outro for radio DJing. Okay, here we go. Thanks for tuning in to our show. It's twenty eight degrees outside. Sorry, sorry were you saying something?
Speaker 2: It was terrible now Please if you do want to get in touch with us, contact at the Drive show dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, anyway, contacted the Drive show dot com. Do you thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: Please leave us a rating, because that's the way that this show moves up the chart.
Speaker 1: That's a five star rating, number six, baby, yeah, number six. I'm happy with that. Top ten number six. Leave us a rating, please, ah yeah, please subscribe. Please give us a five star rating and I will personally send you something pretty special