Speaker 1: Match boy number three for Carolina Plishkiva. Four hundred turn from Williams's deep four and from Polishkiva into the fourn winging Williams. Williams gets this up four and from Politiciver down the backend wing. Williams is there. Politkiva goes down the middle of the call for and from Williams let its. Plashkiva raises her arms, put hand to her mouse. I don't think she could quite believe it. You want to win for Carolina Plishkiva.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the AO Show. I'm James Parkinson. Day ten of the Australian Open and another great day of quarterfinal action at Melbourne Park. Naomi Asaka, Carolina Plushkiv, Lucas Pui and Novak Djokovic all progressing to the semifinals. In Jokovic's case, it was Kane Shakori retiring from the match that ended the contest in the second set six to one for one for on today's show, we learn what it takes to be a line on pile.
Speaker 3: I really love Porkie because your own accuracy improves, and.
Speaker 2: We speak with tennis legend Daniella on Chakova.
Speaker 4: It's a really a huge privilege to minton. This is the most beautiful sports.
Speaker 2: But we start with the big upset of the day, Carolina Plushkova defeating Serena Williams in three sets. Firstly, let's hear from Pluskiva and her reaction on court.
Speaker 5: I think she improved her game, especially in the second set. She just went for her shots. She was more aggressive. I was struggling a little bit on that side, was against the wind, so it's tough to play against Serena and against the wind two so you know, she was playing very well, especially at the end of the second set. She went for her shots. She was more aggressive. I played too passive, but you know, on one hands, I was almost in the locker room. But now I'm standing here as a winner, so I'm believe a feeling.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: Pluskova has every right to be delighted. It's not every day you beat Serena Williams in a Grand Slam quarter final. To learn more about Carolina and what this result means, Tim Soley spoke to Nadia Voutchakova.
Speaker 7: My name is Nadia Vachikova and I worked.
Speaker 8: For ESB's radio check an outstanding game against one of the all time champions.
Speaker 9: What are your initial thoughts?
Speaker 7: I almost cry. It was amazing to beat Serena Williams. It's a big thing in his in her career as well. They met four times and twice she was able to beat her. So that's that's amazing.
Speaker 8: Serena's up five to one in the final set and Fishkiva just finds something a little bit extra to find a way through the semifinal here at the Open, it.
Speaker 7: Was very stressful, that's that's for sure. It was a really game from start to the end. And then I saw that she'd probably enjoy herself a little bit in feet so and since then she lost her focus and that was a chance for Carolina and she took it.
Speaker 8: Do you think the injury played a big role or was Carolina? Did Carolina find another gear and actually, you know, win on her own terms.
Speaker 7: I think it was a big gear. But also she straightforward, she stayed focused and that was the best what she could do in that moment and actually show us her STrenD is tell us.
Speaker 8: About the reaction back in the Czech Republic from this win? Will it be huge in the papers tomorrow? How is Carolina received back in the Czech Republic.
Speaker 7: I think it will. We have just a few players, especially right now this year, it's just a Carolina ar Protectva, which I hope or everyone just hope somewhere that it will be a check final, or it could be a check final. You know, it's still on a table. So I think the reaction will be just positive. You know, Serena has a big name, as you said before, so definitely she will be filling up the pages at least for a few days.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, this is a tough defeat for Serena Williams. She did have to deal with an injury during this match. He's what she had to say.
Speaker 10: Mankel seems to be fine. I usually don't know until the next day, so I think she just played lights out on Nash Finds, literally it in lines and just went crazy on Nashalins. So I don't think it was she just played unbelievable on Lash one. I really hate Colina out, to be honest, and at that point I didn't feel like I needed it or I didn't feel like it would be a big deal, so I just just kept going, you know, I like to just kind of toss it out so to say, But yeah, it was fine.
Speaker 2: No doubt Serena will be back, but this is still a shock result for many. Tim Soley spoke with Kurt Streeter to help put this into context.
Speaker 6: Kurt Streeter, I'm a staff writer at the New York Times.
Speaker 8: Kurt, fascinating match, just a real sea souring affair. Looked at some stage through the second set that Serena was going to go down, and then that champion that we know fought back and up five to one in the third and she goes and I lose the match.
Speaker 9: What are your initial thoughts?
Speaker 6: Well, the way forwarded with an injury at match point. I mean, you know, I just tweeted out, you know, Serena loses an epic match. When have we ever seen that before? Unbelievable match.
Speaker 8: She's thirty seven years of age now, she's got an eighty six percent winning ratio on the circuit since turning pro in ninety ninety five. It's a remarkable record and we used to it getting out of those situations. Was it the injury that really, you know, took the toll on that match?
Speaker 6: I'd say clearly she is. She was very injured. I mean, there's no way. I cannot see her losing that match if not for the injury. I think one of the things that was really surprising to me is that in all that time she was clearly hobbling, she never called for a trainer, which if I was her coach I would have advised her to do. But that maybe speaks to Serena and how you know, terrifically stubborn she is.
Speaker 8: She obviously won the Australia Open here a couple of years ago when had a daughter.
Speaker 9: She's come back, She's made two finals since then.
Speaker 8: Will we see Serena get to that pinnicle again and win another Grand Slam?
Speaker 6: As long as she is playing, I will not never count out Serena, and I don't think anybody else should. I mean, she's head and shoulders, a better player and a better athlete, I believe overall, even at thirty seven, then most of the field, and she has an unbelievable self belief.
Speaker 8: Will this be a big story back home tomorrow? And what will be the reaction in the States.
Speaker 6: It's going to be big news anytime she loses. Anytime she plays in a Grand Slam, people watch, And I'm talking about people who aren't even sports fans, but just a casual sports fan who doesn't pay any attention to tennis. They pay attention when she's playing.
Speaker 2: In the other women's singles match today, Naomi Asaka continues her great form this tournament, defeating Elena s Fitdelena six four six ' one. He is her reaction on court.
Speaker 11: She's a really good player and it's kind of unfortunate that she got injured. But yeah, I mean playing against her even when she was injured was still really tough. So for me today, I just had one goal and it was to try as hard as I can and not get angry. So yeah, I didn't do that well in the last two rounds, so that was my only goal and I think I did it well. So I'm really happy with how I played today.
Speaker 2: Such a humble person, know me, and her status within the tennis world is only set to grow. With Serena now out of the tournament, she's likely to be many people's favorite for the title, but she will have to get past Plush give up first in her way to the final. Elsewhere in the day session, Frenchman Lucas Poi defeated Miloseronic in four sets and he spoke about his performance after the match.
Speaker 12: I didn't have to face a breakpoint for almost three hours, so even if I lost this the third set, in my mind it was clear I had to stay focused on my service game, taking care of that and then trying to put as many return as I can. In the third set, I had some breakpoints, he always saved it really well with a good serve and good points, and then he made a good breaker and here we are, and then it's a four set. I'm still leading two sets to one, so I don't have to panic and been needed to stay positive and chill doing what I what I did great for to our thurnaments.
Speaker 2: Saw an effort today for pois a player really on the rights now and into a semi final. Tim Swey has more.
Speaker 13: David Lario and I'm a reporter for the French sports daily Newsley keep in Paris.
Speaker 8: Tell me, look, he's been a number ten, he's found himself at number thirty now. Obviously that will jump after after his results here, But do you think this is a moment in history where he will look back and go this is where it clicked for me.
Speaker 13: I hope, so, I hope so for him I opes so for him because you know, look as everybody know that it is a big talent. You know, he has a big arm, you know, a real far ham, really really powerful, you know, and he gets just you know, to stabilize a little bit that you know, and just to find a good balance, you know, between to be aggressive on the court and between to be a good defender. And I guess for against Hawnich today, I find that I find a good balance. You know, is capable to make big returns and to be aggressive on his served, you know, and if you find the good balance for me, it could be a top ten players.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Tell me about Emilie Maresma huge success with Marion Bartoli at the wind Wooden. She's had some great success with Annie Mari. Now she takes on a new player. She's been with him since December and she's already having this influence.
Speaker 13: She knows that big moment, you know, she knows how you get to work with that, how you get to approach you know, that kind of game. And I guess with luc At they got something simple. You know, the worst was simple. It was just take pleasure on the court, play simple, you know, not to be complicated.
Speaker 6: On new game.
Speaker 13: You just play simple and look at you know, do that on the con Rhina since the beginning of the tournament. And I mean Emili is probably the big influence you know in his new game.
Speaker 8: Right now, people will be waking up in France. Now, they'll be getting the news. What will the reaction be in France at the.
Speaker 13: Moment they got a bit wait for you know, that kind of result in France. You know, the last season for the French player were not so good, you know, for Richaga's schedule with some Gaga Alemphis it was really so so, you know, they got no big results and we are waiting for that. You know, we're waiting for a guy with capable you know, to fight with the top ten, top twenty, you know, and we we we have many expectations with Lucas since two years, you know, right a, since Inmate the quarter final in US Superen you know, and they got something really exciting in France with the CAPU right now.
Speaker 9: Thanks for you, Tom, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Today on the Twilight Show, the AI radio team got talking about comebacks in tennis. Is Brigittel, Richard Evans and Matt Cronin.
Speaker 14: I think we need to get back to the basics and remind people of what tennis is. Unlike other sports. There is no bell. Yeah, there is no whistle. There is no clock that says this match is going to end in so many seconds or so many minutes. And as my former co writing colleague, the intellectual Davis Cuppa Alan Fox said to me once, he said, you have to go through the nasty business of winning. You have to go over the horns and put the sword in. There is no escape. You can't hide, you can get the match point, and if you can't do that, you're never going to win. And that is what makes tennis such a hugely psychological game. It makes it so difficult because a boxer, a boxer can can get the points going for him and pile up the points and then for the last two rounds he puts his gloves in front of his face and somebody rings a bell and he's won. Never happens in tennis. It can't happen in tennis. That's why the scoring system is so brilliant and what makes the game different from any other sport.
Speaker 15: I haven't thought about that, but you're absolutely right, and you're never out of the guy a camping.
Speaker 14: Yeah, f way up, way up, way up.
Speaker 16: All the time that person's like here or she is going to collapse. Whatever, you have to win it. Yes, the only thing you can do. You can make a couple of errors. Then you'll say, whoops, oh I'm still here. What am I going to do?
Speaker 15: It was one of the best comebacks I've say, especially because it was against Serena And what was the one you mentioned? Are there any others you can think of that were really stuck out in your mind? I mean, look, Misia, Corey had a pretty good one in his last round coming back come you know from two sets down. That's pretty extraordinary too. Yeah, so I look at it. They're definitely out there. But that was quite an extraordinary game of tennis. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 14: It's in the men's game, of course, you get the chance to come back from a long way in the best of five set format because it can be two sets down and everybody said, oh, the match is over, but it isn't. You know, have to produce. You've got to get that first survey and you've got to hit that return, and whether you couldn't do it the way you want to is all about the psychology of the match and where the match is and what has happened in the previous hour or so.
Speaker 2: Throughout the Open. So far, we've looked at various jobs around the tournament, including those on court, and one of the most unique, I think has to be the line umpires, a role that requires quick decision making and twenty twenty vision.
Speaker 3: My name is Hannah, I'm one of the Lion officials at the Australian Open.
Speaker 8: Tell me how long you've been doing this for now and just to some experiences along the way.
Speaker 3: So ten years, I've been very lucky, very unfortunate. I've got the opportunity to umpire at oversea Grand Slams also so ron Garos and Wimbleden. You just get to travel the world, whether you meet a lot of people from all over the glove and very unique experience.
Speaker 9: What is the culture like down here between the line umpires?
Speaker 3: Really friendly? Everyone is great now every morning you come in and there's always someone to have a chat with.
Speaker 9: And do you have any idea how any umpires are here at the Open?
Speaker 3: Maybe don't quote me, but probably around three hundred. But it gets cut down as there are less matches to service.
Speaker 9: It's a very good guess.
Speaker 8: I know last year here at the Open they had three hundred and eighty three. Really, so I was testing you, Tribua.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not very good at trivia, so I'm glad I got within one hundred of the march.
Speaker 8: Tell me about the introduction of hawkeye. You must feel sometimes that it undermines your call. And what's it like to make that call and think I've made the right call. Then they sent it up for a challenge and you're sitting there waiting.
Speaker 9: What's going on in your mind at that moment.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, I really love hawkey. I think it's really great because I think your own accuracy improves with Hawkeye because it's kind of I think it's very accurate. There are some times when you make the wrong call, but you knew that you made the wrong call, and hawkkey will show that. So when you're waiting for the image coming through it, you're you're like a bit like a bit resigned because you know that you know that you've probably made you've made an error. But it's also very affirmative, like when you know you've made a good core and it was tight and then it confirms that you feel really good. So yeah, it goes both ways.
Speaker 8: How do you get selected to do the big finals at the end of the tournament?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you're yeah, you're getting evaluated every single time you do a session, so it's all it all gets tabulated, and then the ones that have the highest point average they make they make the cuts.
Speaker 8: And how are you tracking this year or are we hoping that to see you in the final?
Speaker 9: Maybe this year?
Speaker 3: I have no idea, no idea, Yeah, you kind of you find out after the tournament finishes, you know, just just you know, keep focus, just keep doing what you've got to do, and then whatever happens happens.
Speaker 9: Good luck. Hope to see you out there in the final.
Speaker 3: Great thanks too.
Speaker 2: Lastly, today we check in with an another legend of the game. This time it's Danielle han cha Kova Daniello.
Speaker 9: Thoughts and feelings about being back at the Open.
Speaker 4: Oh, I feels amazing always to be back down on there.
Speaker 2: Couldn't wait.
Speaker 4: I just got here this morning. Actually, so no, it's the best time of the year. Actually, I've been always saying that when I still play it because everyone's fresh ready to start the season and I just love Australia, so I'm super happy to be back.
Speaker 8: Tell me, there's a lot of technology now, a lot of changes in the game. Is there things that are happening now out there that you wish you had back in the day when you were applying?
Speaker 14: Not really.
Speaker 4: I'm actually a very old style kind of person. So I like the way, you know, things has been working in tennis for many years. Maybe with the analysis stuff for the players, you know, like now all the access that the coaches have to see exactly how we play, maybe that could have been useful.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 14: I just no.
Speaker 4: I think I like the tennis that has been the way it's been for the last I don't know how many times of years.
Speaker 8: You finished now obviously a legend of the sport looking back as a legend at your early stages of your career, is there some advice you could give some of these young players out on court now looking back at your career, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Definitely to appreciate it what they do, because you know, it's only maybe what two hundred players people in the world that get to do this, and it's really a huge privilege to meet and this is the most beautiful sport so that they can appreciate it and really enjoy it and not take anything for granted because the real life it's completely different, and you know, just maybe sometimes slow down and when they have a good result, really really digest it and not to rush from one tournament to another.
Speaker 9: And what are some of the greatest memories for you here at over Park.
Speaker 4: Oh, definitely reaching the Semis and we need the grand at the mixed doubles and making it to the finals of women's doubles. Yeah, I've had some great results. But more than that, it's how much fun we always used to have in the city and great restaurants, great cafes and just the whole atmosphere of the place.
Speaker 10: It's amazing.
Speaker 8: And which of these legends here that I are you really looking forward to hang out with and catch up with?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 4: Look, it's such an honor, you know, Like I'm the youngest one, I guess with Kim Plister, So it's really privileged to be able to spend time with them on and.
Speaker 2: Off the court.
Speaker 4: Obviously we do a lot of TV stuff together as well, and it would be actually fun to play mixed doubles.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 4: We've been saying that for some time now, I think Defens would enjoy that too, so yeah, let's see. But you know, it's just a really nice, nice week.
Speaker 9: To have great chat.
Speaker 2: Yep, And that will do it for day ten. Thank you so much for listening really at the business end. Now I'll talk to you again on day eleven.