Speaker 1: Flex and Firms Flex and Firms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Always I'm hearing people bemoaning the current dating scene. Well on the apps redacted. We won't name them because we do often like to work with that apps. I speak on behalf of myself. There is a column in the Guardian in the UK called first Dates where the guardian sets up two people they've never met, they don't know who each other are is, and they go to a restaurant. The guardian pays for the food that drinks us all in the house. They then wait, so, wat's the prompt with this?
Speaker 2: Is it kind of like a blind date situation where the guardian is pairing you with someone that is deemed to be compatible or it's.
Speaker 1: Just vibes, it's blind day vibes. Yeah, so the guardians like, you put your application in, then allegedly you go into a file and then the guardian reaches out to you and be like, yeah, we think you have a match, and they will liaise to get the date. It is so entertaining because what they then do is they get sent like a questionnaire about the date would you see them again? Data? And it's all like prefabricated questions, so everyone's answer goes through the same format, which I think is why I love the article, because it's like you just know exactly what you're going to get, and then they'll say would you go on another date? They also ask like did you kiss? Or what did you want? Was your first impression? And did any you know? And they and they get like people are salty sometimes or really like spoil the tea. But you can also tell when people have spoken on the date and said, oh, let's rig our answers to like safe face. But for the most part it's quite wholesome. You have you seen it? Mcke I saw the ad for when it was coming here, but I had no idea the context behind it. This ad, guys, The Guardian posted on Instagram. Why am I seeing like thirty people that I know personally tagging their friends? You guys are shameless and I love it. Have you have you read the articles.
Speaker 2: Not up until you shared it? I hadn't. I hadn't heard of it before.
Speaker 1: Did you click through the link that? I'm absolutely okay, good to.
Speaker 2: Know and it's fantastic. I think it's a lot more high pressure then you would have it seen the idea that you nameless, faithless person sign up to potentially go on a blind date with someone that is not so blind because by the end of it you get hundreds of thousands of.
Speaker 1: People waiting in on your date.
Speaker 2: I'd feel so blindsided if I went on what I thought was a good date and then I could read their feedback, but not privately. Everybody else is reading the feedback alongside. How mutual do you think the Guardian is being do they do? Do you think from their perspective, they're just here for the social experiment vibe of it all, although trying to kind of facilitate something salacious and juicy.
Speaker 1: Like when Australian and I would get people who are like really bad to sing through the auditions best part of the show. I must say. I dropped off after the first round, came back for the finale obviously at the Opera House. Listen. I actually have then inside scoop from a chick who went in the UK. I actually have two scoops. Two women reached out and said I went on one this year in January in the UK. Another woman went a few years ago. I'm going to tell you exactly what we down I feel like the Guardian would effing hate that I do this. Why because I'm like giving, I'm like sharing emails and stuff. It's so so like if i I'd be mad, Why are you doing that? Please?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: They love me, love me listen. Okay, So this woman messaged me I'm not gonna lie. I was so surprised by how much she was sharing and like happy for me to keep her name in it. You you are the journal that everyone should be fearful.
Speaker 2: Long they make you feel comfortable, so you spill your guts like they told me all this stuff.
Speaker 1: They say, oh frek, well, I say, yeah, oh record, I accidently post there. It's like when you suppost people's screenshots of their messages and like try and wipe out all of their features and then down the very end it like I thought you do that on purpose. Okay, not unless they savage me like there was. There have been a few moments where there's been some terse times and I've accidentally left a few details in just in case. Yeah, okay, so I see Guardian coming to Australia. I put it up. Chick messages me. She says, I was on it. It's great, best and lowest maintenance ever. Her name was Sasha, so she told me that she went through the forum and put her details in. Then the Guardian reach out. Hi, Sasha, I think if you're interested in taking part in the Weekend's blind Date column, We'll try our best to find a suitable match for you. But please understand that we can't always match everybody straight away, so your patience is appreciated. If you could let me know a little bit more about yourself, location, occupation, interest, hobbies, hate that question and the type of person you're looking to meet. That would be great and can you send me in a recent pick demonic? Okay, she says, I have no idea what you are looking for, but I'm twenty nine Australian. There's too many of us I know. Okay, it's given personality single. I'm willing to write about my dating experience for the wider population. I'd be happy to go on a date with the guy in the twenty six or thirty five year old vicinity. Please tell me, Please tell me what you'd like me to supply to be considered. S from the Guardians is Sasha, I think I may have found a match for you. It's early days, But what's your availability like? But next week, all the week commencing Monday nineteenth, let me know some dates and I can see if I can get you a date aligned. I love this Guardian person's email, Eticua, since she tells me more that Emi. We confirmed the restaurant and I was supposed to arrive and say I was there for the Guardian. His name's Nick. He'd already arrived first and in the scheme of things, it was a really nice date. I was disappointed because he didn't want to share a bottle of wine. It was on the Guardian's tab, so I was like, why not frame one? And we had great chats. He's thinking like I can't. I have to be a reliable witness, get a few drinks and suddenly love everyone. Ever Yeah, yeah, yeah, there wasn't a huge spark there. I gave him a nice review because I was like, well, better to be the nicer party than the stingy one. Yeah. All in all, I was pretty happy with what he wrote about me. I do remember panicking the day after, though, because I'd applied and didn't think through the fact that it would be in the paper. I think because I'd followed it from oz where it's a niche online article. Okay, real months stand up and on the date. He worked for the BBC and had to get approval from the bosses to go on the date. And I hadn't told anyone at work because I work at a radio station, same siss. It only occurred to me and media to do this. It's all yeah, truure type, myself included. But then the first person who texted me the date came out was my boss, and he tweeted it to all of his followers, so he thought it was good. And then I asked her what was it like, like, were you worried that the guy was going to rate your date as not good?
Speaker 2: Mmm?
Speaker 1: And I said I personally would be on best behavior and performing so they didn't rip me a new asshole. She said. I remember being a little annoyed because we didn't really talk about what we'd rate each other, but I was on best behavior. He got my number and was like, let's catch up again, and then I heard nada from him except for a text like the day before our reviews, would you on each other? Just checking in see how I was going?
Speaker 2: Then literally, okay, the timing, the timing wah wah, we were okay.
Speaker 1: Then literally the day after our reviews went in but before publication, he texted being like, oh, sorry, I haven't been in touch. I actually reconnected with an old flame, so I don't think anything will happen with us or something along those lines. I wasn't miffed about the rejection message because like, who hasn't gone on, but I felt like he played the timeline, so I'd write nice things about him and then came clean the day after that adds up, which I said, you kind of ate with that. Yeah, hilarious because this other woman who messaged me also hilarious, was talking about how this will take me two minutes. I actually have to share the second one because I didn't put this on my stories, so it was like that was essentially for people who follow the podcast but don't follow my personal social media, which is offensive, but yeah, you gotta get your flexi somewhere, all right, his chic She said. I also went on one twenty twenty three's first issue got absolutely violated by the editor and the photographer and severely severely cut by the editor. So essentially she was saying that they did so dirty with the photos that they took because they do a photo shoot before the date. And then she said she was being funny in the answers and they gave her nothing. She said, I sent the application email in May last year, and then she got the email in January, so that's like ages ago. She said. The response is almost identical to your other chick no hits until November when I got asked to come in for the professional photo shoot. Picks arrived at Guardian HQ in London and the editor said she'd found a good match, but he lives in Newcastle that's four hours away and also loves vinyl. Doesn't sound like a very good match to me. Insert editor's name. She said she was going back to the drawing board. Good idea, editor, but I got my picks taken anyway. In the full studio setup with the photographer, shy girl turned into model girl and the photographer was throwing things around like you're in natural etc. Love that gus live, thank you your good vibes all around. She said she'd pick the best one and make sure I was totally the one being looked at. Told her my national newspaper debut was in her hands. Two weeks later, I got an email confirmation from the editor that it was go time. Turned up to the Good restaurant, had already been there, but pretended I hadn't. Crazy face. My guy was already there looking like any other English white guy. Was this is just something else? I like her? Yeah, she's funny. I was totally surprised, though, and made use of the full Guardian budget. Three courses cocktails, why new name? It it that they fully thought we were food critics, being a tent tivaf so people they say I'm here for the Guardian and the waiters are thinking of it's HM forod critics solidate until the post pub end. When he asked what I was going to do ari ratings. I said we would just give each other the same number. He said it'd be cool to refuse to answer it, and I saw the pure terror in his eyes. So I agreed, sent the street selfie and answer in and that was it until publication day. The editor did me dirty with the pick choice moral of the story don't trust photographers called insert name, and don't wear fox liver pants to a pro photo shoot. The editor also cut most of my answers her job, I get it, but made them less funny, overall hilarious experience and would definitely time six thirty nine two zero recommend anyone to apply for the free dinner, good story to tell the grandkids, and potential for the love your life or maybe just a second date. Does this person also work in media? Medical student? I'm obsessed with them. Mave so, guys, I reckon my advice. If you're gonna apply some pizzas in the email, but still keep it to Guardian tone, like I think they're going to go for a certain no, do it if you want to.
Speaker 2: If someone applying is gonna do it to Guardian tone, they don't need to kick back for that. They don't work for the Guardian. Do it because you want to do it because you're gonna find the love of your life.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, the Guardian's only agenda here is to make a good story, and they don't care if they make you look to get it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, So protect yourself. Oh my word. You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.