Speaker 1: Welcome to another crime podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Georgia Love, I'm Sammy Peterson.
Speaker 1: I'm a journalist.
Speaker 3: I am not.
Speaker 1: Please let her speak. We have a guest today who I think we can officially call the official third host of this podcast. We have the wonderful will Patterson slash Scott Williams back for a fourth episode.
Speaker 3: We're all dead siding.
Speaker 4: You can't see what.
Speaker 1: We have loved having you as a guest on our podcast so much, and the listeners have loved it so much. We've just got your back so we can sit back on the.
Speaker 3: Couch and you guys have got me obsessed with crime like great. I just see things and I'm like, oh my god, I can write that story and tell it to I'm so glad.
Speaker 1: This is great for us. When we committed to two episodes a week I first started these, let's just say I have deep regrets.
Speaker 4: Episode per week is rough.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. So getting to sit back and have not just a story told to us, but wonderfully and getting to catch up with a good friend is beautiful. We're very very happy to have you back.
Speaker 2: Tell us about your week, Scott.
Speaker 3: Oh look, I was going to tell you I had a good weeks, but I haven't. So this week Julia said the most hurtful thing to me. Oh no, she's sitting out here that I've ever had said in a relationship. Oh my god, I wouldn't tell you about it. So yesterday she was making omelet. I was in charge of the toast.
Speaker 1: You're right, I'd be off. That wasn't it.
Speaker 3: That wasn't it.
Speaker 4: So she's out this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she wants you to tell everyone how good?
Speaker 3: Was excellent?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: So then I get the taste about it, and I'm like, you want to taste?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 3: I want some taste. I'm like, do you want to cut?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 3: And I said triangles are squares? And she said it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: It doesn't it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter whoa How can you be married to someone for so long?
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: This is on you.
Speaker 1: You married her.
Speaker 3: I know that, and I'm not getting out of it now. Like I know that as well.
Speaker 1: Too expensive.
Speaker 4: The only reason it's too expensive.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of stuff. But if you had to give her half the stuff, would you divide it in triangles?
Speaker 2: The most important question you have to ask.
Speaker 4: That's what a lawyer would say, as well, quest.
Speaker 3: Does you might have an opinion?
Speaker 1: It matters, and what's your opinion?
Speaker 3: Triangles? Of course you get more triangles.
Speaker 1: You get more, You get more toast, don't you You get more toast. I don't understand the science.
Speaker 3: But you do, you do?
Speaker 1: I think Itamy doesn't have an opinion.
Speaker 2: You'll be very I don't have an opinion on it.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, I'm with Julia.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm with Julia and you tour together on this.
Speaker 1: Wow, Dix has heard that was talking about food and meaning to him.
Speaker 3: It's extremely close to you.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, he's a close talk for sure. That's one thing of that bread.
Speaker 3: So up until that happened, I haven't got weak like I got. I got a new wallet and I'm loving myself sick.
Speaker 2: Triangle.
Speaker 3: It's a triangle. It's not it's cool to redge. Oh that's a cool if you want reach to sponsor the podcast. Yeah, it's a cool wallet.
Speaker 1: I haven't yet, so we'll bleep the name of that.
Speaker 4: Say anything that is cool. The gurl wallet.
Speaker 1: My wallet has Diamondi's all over it, and it says you can't afford me. And when I bought when I bought it, and I showed my friend. He said, I think that should say I can't afford me.
Speaker 5: I just wrapped my money in toast.
Speaker 1: I'm really sorry about.
Speaker 4: Your I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: I sorry to hear that.
Speaker 3: That's going to be She'll be happy. She was happy before she met me. She from she can survive me. I told you that the first time we got to do that.
Speaker 4: Actually, we were talking before we started recording.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it. We're having a lovely glass of wine and we're talking about our divorce.
Speaker 5: And when we did say something about divorce and you might get divorced after this, Julie did clap.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So it's come up for quite a few times.
Speaker 1: Oh my dear, it's fun to be hard broken.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we laugh.
Speaker 3: So I've bought a more fun story for the Thursday treat divorce.
Speaker 4: Yay.
Speaker 3: But before we tell the story that, I want to tell you about something that happened to me. Okay, So in two thousand and one, I went on a trip to Japan, cool man and my world looked very different back then. CJ. My son had just turned.
Speaker 4: Six judgmental glasses judgment classes.
Speaker 3: Had just turned six in his mum, and I was still married and I was fat. So I was over one hundred and thirty kilos so I was fat, fat, ok I was quite fat. So the first thing that happened to us when on this trip to Sydney was there was a terrible storm in Sydney. So we went Melbourn to Sydney. Then Sydney is Japan. The storm delayed our flight and then it was about two hours we boarded the plane and when the pilot came on over the intercom to do is normal thing, he said, ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay.
Speaker 4: You did like that bit of the storm.
Speaker 3: We apologize for the delay. We need to make you aware that because of the storm risk, we were not allowed to have ground staff working on our aircraft. This means we are flying with no luggage aboard. Your luggage will be distributed between the next three flights of Tokyo and the airline will be in touch to deliver it.
Speaker 2: When they.
Speaker 4: Just dropped out the bottom of the I.
Speaker 1: Would have become a Karen faster than you can say Karen, Karen.
Speaker 3: So I'm like right, I try and make a mental note of everything in might carry on, and we decided that my carry on with the one. They have most of CJ's stuff in it, you know, some spare clothes, sure, kid, because whatever. And so we landed in Japan in winter with the clothes on her back and it was and some kids stuff and some kids stuff and where we were going first with Disneyland, so it was hilarious. So CJ's mum only had ballet flats, so not suitable for six degrees where they're walking around Disneyland.
Speaker 2: So she's landing on to a lot of Yeah, but that's what you were in.
Speaker 3: It's not like tap shoes everywhere I go. You listen, I met your mom at your show and I came to your show. Yeah, yeah, and she was great. She was one of the best hecklers of the night and I me, Yeah, we chatted about tap a little bit. It was great.
Speaker 2: She's actually starting to tap down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She tried it on the wood on the Mason up just as you were going out, as you're going down the stairs. She tried it out with us. It was really good.
Speaker 4: She has a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: So anyway, c j's mum had unsuitable shoes and she had to shop four shoes in Disneyland. So she ended up with shoes that looked like New Balance and Mini Mouse had a baby. But my problem was jocks. So I have to tell you it is not easy to buy jocks at Disneyland.
Speaker 4: Sure I ever thought about that. Not easy?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So at the end of the day on Main Street there's this little Western themed store and they had Western themed Mickey Mouse jobs. Sure, right, so I bought a pair. And then the next day I found out that an extra large in Japan is not the same as an extra.
Speaker 5: Large in Australia, right, So next day called just the crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the next day I'm shoehorned into these tiny box which were color free printed with like holsters and chaps, right, and we head back into the wonderful word of Disney. So then's Mum and I having this whole conversation because of the little under as I as I jemmy myself into another stupid ride where stupid music plays and little Bear sing to how dare you I don't like Disneyland happiest place on Earth?
Speaker 1: All right? It turns out third time as the chart.
Speaker 3: My theory, it's a giant human trap run by a mouse. Oh problem is it's just not for me. That's all right.
Speaker 1: It is the happiest place on Earth.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about that foreshadowing. So I suggested to C's mum that there's no way that these rides are the same size in the US as they are Japan because I was fat, but I wasn't US fat. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's no way. Right, I'm not America fat. And then we get to Space Mountain. Space Mountain is the ride that CJ's munt really wanted to go on with him because it's the one she remembers as a kid. She's super excited. We bought express tickets for this ride. So he's standing in this very short queue and I see a Disney employee walking towards us. She's dressed in a Disney kimono and Mickey Mouse's ears, and she just has this look of dread on her face.
Speaker 4: You would be if wearing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So she shovels up, shuffles up to me in that little kimono walk that they have to do because of the uniform. She stops in front of me and does this short little bow and then we just look at each other from a moment, and this look of despair acrosses her face, right, because she's trying to approach what she has to say, and she obviously didn't have a lot of English, and she obviously wasn't in the happiest place on earth at this moment.
Speaker 2: She said, why are you only wearing underwear?
Speaker 3: What she did was she waved her hand up and down at me like Stoic does to his son in How to Change the Dragon, and just goes too big, too big, too big right? So c J and his mum burst out laughing, right, which seems to relax this poor woman. And then she and I have a conversation in English where I'm sure I sound like a caveman, right, I'm like me too big, and she nods at me. I'm like too big, No, ride right, and she like shakes her head, and I went me ride right. And then she shook her head and she goes, no, you come right. So we turn and we start walking towards the entrance to the ride. My family completely delighted. She walks us past the entrance to the ride to her door that says astronauts only, and behind the door there's a maintenance room. In the center there's a carriage from Space mountain right, and she says, you sit. So I go and sit in it and she says, now close, right, And so I understand the assignment. I'm like, I have to show her I can close the safety bar so that I can fit on the Space Mountain, right. So I pull it down and it clicks into space in place Cli space. She immediately jumps up and down like this and she goes, you're not too big. So then so then me and my family and my tiny underpants got to go on Space Mountain.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why you it squeezed youwy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe, of course exactly.
Speaker 3: So why did I tell you that all of that? So today that's that's because today's story is about the self proclaimed happiest place Disney. No.
Speaker 1: I think I have to leave the record Disneyland for me.
Speaker 3: We're going to explore deaths at Disney.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: We're going to investigate the urban myth that no one has ever died at Disneyland, and that rumor persists to this day. And we're going to examine the only murder which has ever taken place on Disney property.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I hate it. I have you ever okay, I mean, have you ever been to Disney I have not been to Disneyland. Okay, well you can't comment.
Speaker 3: I haven't gone.
Speaker 2: Voter, then you can't comment.
Speaker 4: Shut up, get out.
Speaker 3: This is Mine and George's podcast. Now I've done it four times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: I'm the host. Now I am the captain. Now that's great.
Speaker 1: I love Disneyland. I love it. I love it. And I had a very dramatic experience at Disneyland in Paris where you brought up Space Mountain. That was the one ride that I wanted to go on more than anything else, and we were saving it for the end of the day going around it. And so I did an exchange in France when I was a student and we went to Digna in Paris with me and another Australian girl who went Marielle, I know you don't listen to your husband. Tom does shout out and uh yeah, and our host families and was saving Space Mountain for the end of the day. And it was like, you know, the lines really long. It was like an hour long. So we lined up with a bit over an hour to go, so we get in them. So we lined up, lined up, lined up, and got so close to the front and they said you no, not, we can't go on the one of the host dads of one of their families came up and said, we have to go. I won't give her name in case she somehow in France listens to this. One of the daughters of the host families is in prison. Oh she's been tapped. And his English wasn't very good, so his words were, she's in prison. We went, what we can't, we have to go, She's in prison. So we all got USh it out of the line. One of the girls in the family had been caught stealing from one of maybe the Western shop. Maybe she was trying to get some mony mouse jocks. She'd been caught stealing and was taken into like the like the you know cop cells.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't steal, you should not yes.
Speaker 1: Goes to jail, you should not steal.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so we were ushered out of Disneyland. Marylyn and I still didn't really know what was going on because they were speaking very fast in French to each other and very panicked, and you know, not not speaking French in a way for us to easily understand. They're all dealing with this on their own. So we had heard she's in prison. And we were ushered out in the car leaving and like no one's kind of speaking to each other, and it was very awkward. And then we pulled up at a cop shop, like at the police station, and they went in and got the daughter out, and then we had the longest, quietest ride back home, and we were going I just really wanted to go.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: So there's my crime story from Disneyland for you.
Speaker 3: I promise I'm not going to ruin Disneyland for you.
Speaker 1: Good, Thank you good. I'll allow you to continue th.
Speaker 2: I have no opinion on Disney, nor should you.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: The Disney Corporation was founded in nineteen twenty three by brothers Walt and Roy Disney.
Speaker 4: Haven't heard of them, You never heard of him.
Speaker 3: Many people did not know that. While Walt was the dreamer, Roy was the businessman, and he was the chairman of the board for most of the company's history. Disney's first success was with a short animation Steamboat Willie, which popularly popularized concern with somebody say that word for me please, Mickey Mouse, a character that became the mascot for the company. In nineteen thirty four, Walt started a brave venture to create a full length animated film based on the classic children's tul Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. His brother, Roy and Walt argued throughout production, with Roy worried the featu Wood bankrupt. The company h costs blew out from the budget of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars Oh my god, to one point five million dollars back there in nineteen thirty four. What, which is the equivalent of around thirty six million dollars today. Luckily, the film was a huge success and grossed over eight million dollars at.
Speaker 2: The box office.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, what did you say? One hundred and thirty six sorry, thirty six million, thirty six million to my equivalent. That's normal for making a movie now, isn't it for an animated.
Speaker 4: No, that's cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Wow. We were like wall I was like, oh, actually one of the first ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, terrified about it.
Speaker 3: But they made over one hundred and seventy five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So on the back of the success, Well spent some time with his family and he was with his children in Griffith Park in Los Angeles. He was watching them Ride and Merry Go Round, and he had an idea and started sketching an idea of a Disney themed park. He purchased one hundred and sixty eight Orange Grove in Anaheim, California, in nineteen fifty three, and he built the park in two years.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's quick.
Speaker 3: From nineteen fifty three to the opening on the seventeenth of July nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 1: That's really fine.
Speaker 3: That's really fine. Wow, that's massive, really fast. Opening day was a disaster Disneyland. There was record heat. The ash felt of Main Street USA was melting and sticking to people's shoes. There's no parking. Queues were miles long, and Mister Toad's Wild Ride kept breaking down and all the water fountains ran dry.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I mean the Lion the massive lines for hours.
Speaker 3: But Walt Disney was undertred and in the first ten weeks more than a million people visited the site.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: In an early speech, Walt said that Disneyland should be for everyone, and as long as he was alive, he kept the cost of entry to one dollar for adults and fifty cents for children.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Also, something that doesn't exist so let's look at the rumor. Is it true that no one dies at Disneyland?
Speaker 1: Straight rumor? That's just like a thing.
Speaker 3: I reckon.
Speaker 1: That's what I reckon.
Speaker 3: According to several whistleblowers, Disney has a policy that no one dies at Disneyland. In a TikTok video, yep. In a TikTok video, a person identified as Cruise describes the day he was working when an elderly man collapsed in line for a ride. There happened to be a doctor in the line who started CPR. Paramedics arrived quickly and continued resuscitation, in Cruiser's words, long after it was clear that the man could not be saved. He claims that when he asked the paramedics why why were they continuing their efforts, they explained, no one dies at Disney. Cruiz claims to have investigated and found an unofficial policy that all resuscitation efforts must continue until medical staff have crossed the Disney property line. This way, when the death is declared, it is never declared on Disney property, therefore allowing Disney and the claim that no one has ever died on the premises.
Speaker 1: That's also just really unrealistically millions of people who go to each park every year. Some people are going to have heard attacked. Some people are going to.
Speaker 3: Let's find out. So the Disney Corporation has never confirmed or denied the policy. In the most they have ever seen is if a visitor has a medical incident while at the park, all effort is made to ensure they survive.
Speaker 1: Of course, is in any.
Speaker 3: However, the rumor persists. The book Inside the Mouse, which has been written by an unnamed author, claims we had a guy last summer who went to Epcot and stood in front of the golf ball and fatally shot himself in front of everyone.
Speaker 4: Oh God, but.
Speaker 3: He didn't die. The medic told me they kept him alive by artificial means until they were off Disney property. Like there's an imaginary line in the road that goes, he's alive, He's live, He's alive. He's like, okay, now he can be dead.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: The website Snopes reasonably points out that the claim no one dies at Disney is difficult a difficult claim to unpick because there's a difference between actual death and declared death. So, for example, if someone's involved in a car accident and they die in the ambulance on the way to hospital. Their death is more likely to clear out the hospital than that the accident. Saying yes in fairness to Disney, because otherwise we would have to say allegedly all the way through this. But but I promise you everything is actual cases.
Speaker 4: We don't say allegedly.
Speaker 3: We're good. We're not going to get sued by one of the biggest corporations in the world. In fairness to Disney, the Orange County p emedics who would attend any emergency at Disneyland do have a clear policy that says, once life saving efforts have commenced, those efforts must continue until the patient has been transported to a medical facility, even if the patient is non responsive. Yeah. Right, So this policy might be impacting what people say about this, And I feel like maybe it's easy to make fun of Disney, like easy to have a rumor about Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's also the case anywhere. I mean, I wouldn't be happy if, you know, a loved one had had, for instance, a heart attack at a movie theater, a movie cinema, and the paramedics just said, now there's no point taking to the hospital. I'm not ever going to try exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's easily proved that no one dies at Disney, simply an urban legend. But the truth of where the rumor started and some of the deaths that have occurred are much more interesting than the fiction. So we're going to talk about the death that's the story that sparked this rumor. Right on March seventh, nineteen eighty one, guests were streaming into the Zeeland for a private nighttime party held by Rohr R, a Californian aerospace company. There was around ten thousand people invited, made up of employees of the company, suppliers and their families. Among the guests was an excited Mail Yorber, the eighteen year old son of an Rohr employee. Yorba was lined up to ride the matter Horn, as were twenty eight year old James adriscul and his girlfriend Julie Holdner. While on the ride, Julie told her boyfriend that she had felt a man behind them in line pinch her bottom while they were queuing. Once they finished, the same reactions to her. Once they finished their ride, James adriscoll furiously searched the crowd and spotted Mel Yorba, who he believed was the person his girlfriend had identified. The men exchanged he caught up with Malney the Submarine Voyage ride. The men exchanged words and started to scuffle outside the ride. It appears that James Adriskol pulled a knife and during the argument, Yorba was stabbed in the heart. Oh my god, fram leaving him with virtually no chance.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Disney security rushed to the scene and they quickly called a Disney nurse me who I assumed wished to upon a star mean nurse, Disney nurse.
Speaker 1: We just need to say, nurse. That sounds very so unserious.
Speaker 3: According to media reports at the time, mel Yeorber may have been on the scene and injured for around twenty minutes before he was transported to the local Palm Harbor Hospital.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: James A. Driscol decided it was best to leave the scene, throwing the knife into the moat around Sleeping Beauty's Castle and discarding his blood soak shirt in women's restroom. He was caught by Disney security hiding in bushes near the castle. He and Julie were taking to Anaheim Police and arrested, and Julie was later released without chuch Wow. The controversy about this case initially stemmed from the decision made by Disney management not to call paramedics, but instead hansporught Melyorba from the scene in an unmarked Disneyland van with the nurse and security guard in the back with the victim.
Speaker 1: Oh God.
Speaker 3: The van contained no life saving equipment, and with no lights or sirens, it had no way to rush the young man to hospital. An Orange County coroner found that mel Yorba was in cardiac arrest when he arrived at the hospital and there was nothing that could be done to save his life. On the incident, Martel Thompson, the chief of the Anahan Fire Department, said, We've been talking to Disney about this for years. Something like this is pretty hard to swallow, especially when we have a station one minute away. Multiple Anaheim officials lamented the fact that Disneyland's reluctance to some and paramedics was based on the fear that the lights and sirens would damage the park's image.
Speaker 2: Yeah so.
Speaker 3: In the trial, James O'Driscoll claimed the stabbing was an accident. In his account, he did have a knife, but he didn't intend to stab yober Do you want to guess what he said?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I die no.
Speaker 3: He said, while they were fighting, you're befell onto the knife.
Speaker 1: He ran into my knife ten times, once.
Speaker 3: In the diaphragm. Oh my god, I wonder if this is where the guy from the High Country murders.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yeah. We've got to be careful with this because he's launching an appeal at the moment. But I've alway. Yeah, So that's a it's a line from Chicago the musical when he goes when she says, and then he ran into my knife. He ran into my knife ten That was legitimately the defense that Greg Lynn tried to use in his.
Speaker 3: Insame with this guy. This guy accidentally ran into my knife and was stubbed in the heart and the.
Speaker 1: Living, all different places.
Speaker 3: So James A. Driscal was found a guilty of second degree murder and sentenced to sixteen years in prison.
Speaker 1: The degree. They believe some kind of accident was involved.
Speaker 2: All again.
Speaker 3: So the family of Meliorba sued Disney Cooperation for sixty million dollars. The suit charged that Disney failed to provide the youth with the adequate emergency medical treatment. The suit asserted that Disney refused to someone outside paramedics to help the victim, and instead relied on its own staff to care for and transport mister Yorber to hospital. Mel's mother was quoted as saying, they had an opportunity to make this incident less severe by giving adequate medical attention to my boy after the fight, But they made a conscious decision long ago that they don't want ambulances or flashing sirens around to shatter their image.
Speaker 1: It's hard to argue that, isn't it Like, it's hard to kind of yeah, yeah, understand why they didn't.
Speaker 3: So Disney Dane denied that it avoided paramedics to protect its image. That has never been and never will be the case, said the park spokesman, Bob Roth.
Speaker 1: Did they say why they didn't call an ambulance then didn't know? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: The Superior Court ruled that Disney employee contributed to the death of Maluba by ignoring park rules to call a paramedic in case of serious injury.
Speaker 1: The Disneyland nurse Disneyland better than Disney nurse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Elizabeth Miko, testified that she decided to take your to a hospital in a Park fan because of an unwritten policy not to call outside paramedics, right, okay, an unwritten policy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's unwritten, which means they can't go look at this policy. We can sue.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got a very colorful unicorn that he's playing quiet.
Speaker 3: The family's attorney, though, introduced a document from the Park that said professional paramedics should be cared called for the life if you destroying literally, Diggs, come on right.
Speaker 4: In the crime. It's not right what you've done.
Speaker 2: It's crook what you've done. It's crook what you've done.
Speaker 3: And play with Julia. So John Aludo introduced a Park document saying that professional paramedics should be called for the treatment of life threatening injuries, but the nurse said she had never seen that policy. Oh so, how much did you hang on?
Speaker 1: How can a nurse not have seen like all the policies.
Speaker 3: So you can see why this is the case that started the room. Yeah, so the family. How much did the family suit for.
Speaker 1: Sixty million?
Speaker 3: The family awarded six hundred thousand dollars in damages, to which the mother said, we knew, we owed it to mel to have this case brought out. So it cannot happen to anybody else.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Because of the very public nature of this incident and subsequent civil claim, it is widely believed that this is the case that started the rumor that no one dies a Disney WoT.
Speaker 1: As well, because there's no way I suppose of proving or knowing whether he would have died had he gone in an ambulance anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, in major organs very well, it may have died, which is probably I'm thinking what the argument for the six hundred thousand dollars settlement may have been that there is no proof that that.
Speaker 3: Was the reason. Approximate not approximate.
Speaker 1: Cause yes, yep, ipproximate in proximicproximate if you will, magistrate.
Speaker 4: But people have died.
Speaker 3: At Disneyland over the years, and we're going to have a look at some.
Speaker 4: Of those deaths.
Speaker 1: Good really gladlifting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the numbers, Disney has had ninety six reported fatalities at their theme parks.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's not that.
Speaker 2: Ninety six doesn't seem as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just think how many people go through their gates every day. There are so many part there's what France Hong Kong, Tokyo, Florida, Anaheim.
Speaker 2: Don't look at me.
Speaker 3: You're like, you're like the penguins in Madagascar that you're like, that's a number we can live with. Ninety six.
Speaker 1: It's ninety six more than I would like to have died anywhere. But I feel like, yeah, but the people that go through there every day.
Speaker 5: And people have probably died at andre Real concerts, true.
Speaker 1: Julia, just right, he looked at something and.
Speaker 3: Goes, how did your brain get there?
Speaker 4: Is that because they're older?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's always there's always paramedics at andre Real concert And are you are you?
Speaker 3: Are you oldest out of me? Just no, you ages?
Speaker 4: Just the word I was looking.
Speaker 3: Oldest is not the right red the oldest, the older brother, Oh dear so. By the numbers, Disney's had ninety six reported fatalities at their Being parks. Twenty one of the deaths were employees, the remaining being guests. Interestingly, only fourteen percent of the deaths have resulted in settled lawsuits, and the largest was a twenty five million dollar pay out in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Whoo.
Speaker 3: The Disney's first fatal accident was in May nineteen sixty five, a fifteen year old boy was injured after he stood up in the made horn bob sleds and fell out. Oh god. It was reported that his restraints were undone by his ride companions and this was a dare. He died three days later as a result of injured.
Speaker 1: So it didn't die out Disney, No, it died Jsney.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it fascinating. Many of the fatal accidents at Disney have been as a result of guests acting recklessly on the following run. So in June nineteen sixty six, a nineteen year old man was killed while attempting to sneak into the park by climbing onto the monorail track, ignoring a security officer shouted warning that the monorail was coming. He was struck by the train and dragged forty meters down the train. Then, in nineteen sixty six, an eighteen year old man and his ten year old brother stayed on Tom Sawyer's Island past closing time by hiding in an area that's off limits to guests. Oh my god. Later that night, they left the island and tried to swim away the river, but the young boy didn't know how to swim.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So he.
Speaker 3: Climbed onto his older brother's back, and his older brother drowned halfway across.
Speaker 4: His body was.
Speaker 3: Found the next morning, and the young brother was able to stay afloat by dog paddling until a ride operator rescued them.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is horrific.
Speaker 3: Happiest place on Earth. Oh sorry. So some of the deaths have been ruled natural causes, such as Caleb Graves, who died after running the Disneyland Halloween half marathon in one hundred degree heat. Reportedly, he clutched his chest shortly after he crossed the finish line and passed away despite receiving immediate medical care.
Speaker 1: That's like natural causes and running a half marathon in one hundred degree heats to feel not maybe exactly the same thing. Natural causes are heart attack, yes, but a heart attack yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: In August nineteen seventy four, a thirty one year old woman became sick after riding Space Mountain, Oh Lucky, escaped for you jail, and was unable to exit the vehicle. Oh God. Employers told her to stay seated while the vehicles removed from the track, but other ride o prays did not hear that conversation and accidentally sent her through the rider second time.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: She arrived at the unloading zaying this time semi conscious. She was taken to Palm Harbor Hospital, where she remained in a coma and died a week later.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The coroner's report attributed her death to natural causes because a heart chemmer had dislodged on lost on the ride and had entered her brain.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is horrific.
Speaker 3: But you never went on Space Mountain.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. There was someone looking out for me. I've never been on like I've been to Disneyland a home since, and I didn't go on Space Mountain. Oh my god, some high cause Waltz is looking down on me.
Speaker 3: When you were saying before about Space Mountain, I was like, just wait. In March nine eighty four, a forty eight year old woman was decapitated when she was thrown from a mate horn bob sled and struck by an oncoming bob slead.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: An investigation found that her seat belt was not buckled.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Witnesses state that there was an argument between her and her companion, and she said she did not need to fasten her seat belt.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Despite that, Disney settled the family for an undisclosed amount. So some of the deaths were not as a result of natural causes or as the result of the vault of a visitor. A thirty three year old man was struck by a heavy metal cleat that should have been fastened to the hull of the sailing ship Columbia.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The normal thie line, which was a hemp rope designed to break during a show, was improperly replaced by a cheaper, elastic nylon rope Oh god, that stretched instead of breaking and tore the cleat from the ships wooden hull. Oh A tour loose flew through the air and struck one cast member and two guests. The victim died of a head injury at UCI Medical Center two days later.
Speaker 1: Was that a guest or the cast member was the cast member not.
Speaker 3: On Disney property?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: The case was the largest settlement Disney has paid to date. Wow, they admitted fault and settled for an amount estimated at twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 1: Doesn't bring back a life, does it.
Speaker 3: No. Disney was also fined by the Occupational Safety and Health Association OSHA for the stunning amount of twelve five hundred dollars for improperly training the employee.
Speaker 4: He tied the rope. That's it.
Speaker 1: Twelve thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Twelve five hundred dollars. They were fine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: After this instant, Disney reinstated lead foreman on most rides. Yeah, and they allowed the Anaheim Police Department to place our plane clothes officers in the park to speed responses.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: So since nineteen ninety eight, that's it. So this was the first guest death on Disneyland property that was not attributal to any negligence on the part of a guest or a character.
Speaker 1: It was purely the fault of the of the park.
Speaker 4: Park.
Speaker 3: In two thousand, a twenty three year old woman exited the Indiana James Right complaining of a severe headache. She was hospitalized later that day and was discovered to have suffered a brain hemorrhage.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: She died on September one, two thousand, of cerebral aneurysm Oh god, I can say that, but not productivity. Her family's subsequent wrongful death lawsuit against Disney actually changed the way Disney is viewed in legal terms.
Speaker 1: I don't know much about aneurysms, but I didn't think there were particularly able to kind of pinpoint the momental reason someone gets Oh yeah, no, it sounds like in this case they have.
Speaker 3: Maybe so her family's wrongful guests to it changed the way Disney was viewed as an organization by the California Supreme Court. So in the California Supreme Court, in an appeal, they held that amusement parks are considered common carriers, and other businesses that fall into the category of common carriers are planes, trains, elevators, and ski lifts. So what that mean is that Disneyland was held to higher duty of care and she should be judged accordingly.
Speaker 1: Right, and they know they're caring for a lot of people, So you've got it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Yeah, they seemilar to a plane, yes, yep. So they settled this case for an undisclosed amount. In two thousand and three, a twenty two year old man died after suffering severe blunt force trauma and extensive internal bleeding in a derailment of a roller coaster that also injured ten other roles. Oh good, this was the you know the one that's the train currently what it's called. As the train entered a tar and all the axle came loose and jammed against a brake section, causing the locomotive to become airborne, flip and hit the ceiling of the tunnel.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The locomotive then fell on top of the first passenger car.
Speaker 1: Was that the ghost train that haunted House Train one?
Speaker 3: No, I can't. It's like a Western style one right where you go flye around the corner and it looks like you're going to go to a broken part of the track.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 3: So the investigation revealed that the cause of the accident was improper maintenance, and Disney settled for an undisclosed amount. They were not fined by WHOA. Then there was an incident called the Monorail incident in two thousand and nine. During a failed track switch over from the Epcot Line onto the Magic Kingdom Express Line, Montoreil Pink backed into Monarel Purple, killing Monrel Purples twenty one year old pilot.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 3: An investigation by the National Transportation Safety Bureau showed no mechanical problems with the train or track, but did find that the track used in the switchover was not in its proper place during the transition. It was also noted that Purple's pilot desperately attempted to reverse his train when he saw that there was going to be a collision. Disney settled for the family with an undisclosed amount, and on this occasion OSHA ruled the crash preventable and find Disney forty four thousand dollars forty.
Speaker 1: Four thousands of someone's death.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what I've learned messaging this is thatsher. Don't charge fine, no terrible. So in twenty sixteen, a two year old boy was attacked by an alligator at nine to fifteen pm on the shore of the Seven Seas Lagoon.
Speaker 1: Oh my fucking god.
Speaker 2: J Morehen we started this in scott So this is a light one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a light it's a light one.
Speaker 1: The news last time we spoke about a murder. Down before that we spoke about a murder. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: This is a bit more.
Speaker 1: Finn flight of one two year old got eaten by Rocke Disneyland get out christ Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So his parents' success unsuccessfully tried to intervene.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, get off there, Get.
Speaker 3: Off there, right, Yeah, he's like he smiled at me. And alligator that's true, are they they're the ones you see later?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was very good.
Speaker 3: So the boy, the boy was pulled into the water. His body was found the following afternoon in the vicinity of where he went missing, in about six feet.
Speaker 1: Of water the following afternoon.
Speaker 3: So since then, since the incident, Disney has installed rope barriers around the waterways.
Speaker 2: Rope barriers don't have alligators there.
Speaker 3: And has added warning signs that there may be alligators.
Speaker 1: I mean there are maybe there are alligators. There may be oh my god.
Speaker 3: There was no public lawsuit, and it is believe that Disney settled privately with the family. There was no fine by.
Speaker 1: Ocean What what what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: What do you mean they couldn't find them because they weren't responsible for the animal. That wasn't an animal that belonged to Disney.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it's just an animal that happens to be in the like it can it can get there from outside.
Speaker 3: The park Disney and in Florida of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, right, So it's not like, yeah, okay, they haven't put disney World World is Florida. They haven't put alligators in the motor of a right.
Speaker 3: No, No, that's right, they haven't done right. Okay, but what I've written here is I'm going to end on a slightly more positive Nope, but I'm not sure that's I don't know. Fourth and last, Oh gosh, okay. For many years, Disney's partner with a charity called Give Kids the World.
Speaker 4: It digs you're right, which.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Yeah, that's here we goes.
Speaker 3: Come mate, no one's paying attention to me. You've been here for ages. So Disney's created a village in Florida specifically designed to provide critically ill children and their families cost free, week long vacations. Oh The village has special amenities designed to support kids, spaces for their healthy siblings, and twenty four hour support for their parents, as well as on site attractions. A visit to Give Kids the World includes a special past to disney World. Disney World Florida. Wish families receive a GK t W button to wear, which provides fast access to all rides and a special lounge where all food and drink is free, and there are special mid and groups with the Disney characters.
Speaker 1: That's lovely. So it's like in Australia, make a wish foundation. Yeah's specifically a Disney one to be able to go to Disney World.
Speaker 3: What no, no, we're not finished. So in two thousand and six, Rami Maswara, a six year old boy who had terminal metatastic slung spine and adominal cancer.
Speaker 1: I don't finish this.
Speaker 3: He was very was very excited to travel from Israel to Florida. Oh my God, to fulfill a wish to visit and he had a great time. Disney paid for he and his family's travel from Israel in especially set up jet to ensure that he had a safe trip. On the eighth of August, he excitedly started his day with his parents riding the Teacups, the Jungle Cruise and more. Sorry, the dog's just coming over.
Speaker 1: He can feel our anxiety.
Speaker 3: His father knew Space Mountain was the ride that Rami was looking forward to most, and so they saved it until the end of the day. After they have enjoyed a delicious lunch at the g at W Club, Rami and his father boarded Space Mountain at around two pm at some point during the ride, Rami lost consciousness. He was treated on site by Disney staff, and on this occasion, an ambulance was called immediately. Rami was taken at Celebration Hospital in under ten minutes, but he never regained consciousness, and he died late on August eighth, two thousand.
Speaker 1: And Oh my god.
Speaker 3: His death was ruled as natural causes and the family took no action against Disney. His father stated that his son had died with his dream coming true in the happiest place on earth. And that's your more fun story about that's at Disneyland. Yeah, thanks for having me for the last time.
Speaker 5: Thanks for doing having for the last time.
Speaker 2: That's okay, well, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: What I will say about Ramy at the end is what a beautiful thing for the pure Yeah, look at it.
Speaker 3: Try a beautiful thing form like he he got to go on the ride that he loved the most. All that happened for him. All that he knows is he lost consciousness during that's literally his dream was coming true.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, thank you for telling us about the death of Disney Landscape.
Speaker 3: Almost I haven't known you for that long, and I've been to one of your shows, and I find you a reasonably sincere person. That is the most instance.
Speaker 4: That like a question, you.
Speaker 1: Were so quiet in that after start.
Speaker 4: Shouted out time, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I mean thank you. I think thank you for bringing us a story, thank you for doing some research. I think we can both.
Speaker 4: Agree that yeah, yeah, yeah, that's all.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, time, could you please to murder?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you think there's going to be the next time? That's oh my god. I'm interested to hear any listeners stories about their like their stories from Disney, Disneyland is the world, wherever it might be, you know, I don't know. Maybe we would like opened up a can of worms now about people's traumatic experience when I have been there, but the time in Paris when someone was arrested.
Speaker 2: I've never been.
Speaker 1: It's so happy.
Speaker 3: When we came out of Space Mountain that day as we started walking out because you know, you don't know, sorry because you have been on it.
Speaker 1: But it's very gay, nice, my friend, it's.
Speaker 3: Really inside, right, so you come out. We came out and it was glorious sunshine and it started snowing because it was winter in Japan, and it was quite magical.
Speaker 1: That it's magic Okay, I love Disney. I'm not like, I'm not, you know, a quote unquote Disney adult. You know, people like Disney adults. I'm not that I'm not obsessed with Disney, but I just like, I've got beautiful memories.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have any friends to capitate. No one's been taken away.
Speaker 1: From Ruined again. Thanks to see you guys.
Speaker 3: It's been nice.