Speaker 1: Welcome back to TV reload. This is my last quick chat with the stars of I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here for twenty twenty one, featuring the winner herself, Queen Abby Chatfield. We first met this young woman less than two years ago when she turned up on The Bachelor, lying for the heart of scientist Matthew Agnew but famously coming second. And while she now is probably the most famous Batchy girl in history, her journey on television wasn't always rosy, polarizing the audience during her time on the popular dating show for Channel ten. Things over the years started to turn around for this young woman as she took on the haters and proved to her followers that speaking your truth is more than just an oprah winfree special. The path to glory has been faster than a concord, as frenemies to enemies, loathes to lovers Dialed nineteen ninety five ten ten for her to win the celebrated show, I'd like to welcome to the program, Queen Abby Chatfield.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing is that I have to understand that everything will part.
Speaker 3: So when I do, some reality moments cut through more than others. The thing is people ask me who I'm bigguse trolls are and always women. I still can remember too you walking down red cover. If I told myself a week ago, you've won the jungle and there's mine the winner.
Speaker 1: I'm a celebrity.
Speaker 2: To get me out of here is I didn't think that it's silly that I talk about sex so much, like, oh my god, I mean, I still can't believe that I won.
Speaker 3: It's like I don't have that much sex. I just want to have sexual freedom.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Abby, you are the queen of the jungle. How do you feel?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I feel amazing. I feel like I'm not even sure if it happened. You know, like when my name was read out, I thought, surely they meant Grant Danya, I didn't mean the bachelor of Villa Babbage, I feel but no, I'm over the moon. I just spoke to the CEO of Dementia Australia, so I'm so excited to get them one hundred Grant.
Speaker 4: Oh that is so powerful.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I was talking to Grant just a couple of hours ago and he was saying how much he saw the little girl in you once you won. You know he could see the honesty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Oh, Grandania is just such an amazing man.
Speaker 3: But I was genuinely shocked, and I was genuinely so happy and grateful because a year and a half away, I was a bachelor villain getting death threats and I was suicidal for more patrolling than I was. Getting them to win a show that is for charity and through popular vote is just something I could never have imagined eighteen months ago.
Speaker 1: What would you say was the biggest concern that you had saying yes to something like this, to saying yes to going back to reality television?
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, you understand how fickle it can be relody tv. And my biggest concern was that I've spent a year and a half working on.
Speaker 2: My brand, and so I was you understanding who I was.
Speaker 3: And what I stood for When I was really scared. You know, there's always a chance for a bad edit. There was more time to edit this time, and I just thought it could be really bad or it could be really good, and say, god, it was the ladder. But I was kind of on the fence. And then my Grandma passed away and I thought, Mat, I've got to do it, so I'm glad I end up doing it because I've got the crown and one hundred grand with the mentor Australia.
Speaker 1: You know, you have such an incredible fan base who have really supported you through thick and thin. What do you think helped win over Australia in the end.
Speaker 3: I mean, did you see my friend got a tattoo with SMS Abby too one nine nine five ten on a risk?
Speaker 1: I did see that that could have helped someone had you your name tatted on them so that they could get people to vote for you. Is that right? No?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of my fans they're so lovely and they're kind of my age. They kind of can relate to me in that way. They're like I'm like their friend. I meet them out often wind up having a drink with them. That they're so lovely and cool. And I think they also are quite defensive me after the Bachelor. I think people a bit shocked about how I was treated during the Bachelor, whether they were part of that or have they witnessed that, And they get quite defensive and they get very passionate about me because I'm so polarizing, which is great because I love seeing women send up for what they believe in, and I'm very lucky that they support me the way they do.
Speaker 1: What do you think has been probably the biggest learning since being on the Bachelor. I mean, you know, you've come such a long way since they're and you've obviously had to learn coping mechanisms. Yeah, what would you say is something that has been the biggest learning curve?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: I mean the thing is I still struggle with all the trolling, and I still struggle with things. I mean I tried to take my mental health earth therapy once a week, like it's very it's still very hard.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure you want to stay like a year and a half in This isn't.
Speaker 3: Very long really, And I'm I was twenty three when I when I got all that trolling. So I think the biggest thing is that I have to understand that everything will pass, like things that seem so hard to get through and so people were so mad about when I was in a Bachelor.
Speaker 2: Now I literally laughed my friends and be like, why would someone told me about that? Like stealing Elie's date card, And it's like, why do you get like what do you do?
Speaker 3: So, I think just knowing that everything will pass and it will get better. I mean, like I said, I was genuinely suicidal when The Bachelor was airing, and now I'm so over the moon happy, so everything can change.
Speaker 1: My sister and all of my female friends are so positive about you, and so it's so interesting to listen to them talk about the positive influence that you have over women. Do you think, you know, being twenty three, twenty four and moving into being twenty five, is that a young age to be a spokesperson or really an example for women?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: My god, absolutely. I mean there are things I don't feel like I'm an adult yet. I mean, you know, I'm like a mid twenty what's going on? But yeah, I do feel like I'm a bit too young to be doing this. But I will happily keep trying to do what I'm doing. And it means so much you will that are older than me, especially as you mean to say, I love what you do and I look up to you even though I'm, you know, in my mid thirties.
Speaker 4: It's just what I don't care. I don't want young girls or young women to.
Speaker 3: Hear that thing said and think it's normal and don't feel like they can stigu out for themselves.
Speaker 1: Should women be more supportive of each other? I mean that's one of the things that I've noticed today. We're doing a lot of research on you seeing, you know, an amount of positis of support, but then also people being quick to try and tear other people down. What's something that you'd like to address or something that people could change in their behavior, you know for women talking about women?
Speaker 3: There are so the thing is people ask me who I'm biggaus trolls are, and it's always women.
Speaker 2: Men very very rarely troll me.
Speaker 3: I think because I kind of hit a nerve with women and I kind of am like, I don't really care what people think. So I do think that they I maybe have always wanted to do or they've thought and they think it's inappropriate, so they want to punish me for that.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing I just wish that women.
Speaker 3: Would learn to that the more we support each other, the more we support ourselves. And if you embrace this culture of newness and your embraces culture of progression and different thought, then will all benefit from it Rather than tearing to the down and keeping each other in check.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And I think also, you know, some of the conversations you've been having online was funny. It was only just as you were going into the jungle that I was out for lunch with my mum for her birthday, and my sister brought it up that you were going into the jungle, and then we had this long conversation about sex positivity for women. And when it started off, we were like, what an interesting conversation to be talking about it your mum's sixty seventh birthday, But here we were, with multi generations of women and men talking about it. Do you feel like it's an amazing thing to talk about sex positivity for women at this particular point in our lives?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, I love.
Speaker 3: That's so amazing, inter generational chat about sex potivila.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean I think it's it's it's I think in my world anyway, it's becoming very It's like exponential the rate at which sex and masturbation and all these things are good to talk about.
Speaker 2: I mean, a huge form of control.
Speaker 3: For women is sex sexuality and slut shaming, and I guess some men as well. In purity culture, so I mean, it's great that we can change that and hopefully get rid of some of those ties to purity culture and the patriarchy. I feel like it's all it's arang twined, and it seems like it's I think we think that it's leave that I talk about sex so much, like you know, the trolls who're like he is it says with sex, it's like I don't have that much sex. I just want to have sexual freedom. Like it's like I just want to have the option talg about sex. So I just talked about all the time. So I pushed the mits.
Speaker 1: One of the roomors I read online today, which I don't know necessarily how much of anything you read online these days is true, but it said something about the last guy that you'd been seeing didn't want to publicly come out and talk about your relationship because he didn't want to jeopardize his reputation, you know, dating a batchy girl.
Speaker 4: Is there any truth to that story?
Speaker 3: I mean last person that I was in a relationship with MYX boyfriend who'd been on and off for four years, and that was I was in April last year. So no, I haven't dated anyone.
Speaker 4: So well, the person I read it about was Danny Clayton.
Speaker 3: Oh Danny, Oh my god, Danny Clayton, Oh my god. No, Danny is literally he was there last night. He's my number one supporter. Danny is so so proud of me. He is I can't describe the matters of what I get Danny Clayton. So no, he's he's very very proud of me and to and t hang around me. I mean, people were saying in the audience lastlight he was the loudest on cheering, which is the cutest thing in the world. So no, he doesn't care to know about your girl.
Speaker 1: Did you look over and see him having a conversation with Ash Williams at one point and think, what is this strange world I've found myself in?
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I literally when the passion was getting it, I looked over to him and he was just shaking his head and I was like, Oh, this is so so.
Speaker 2: Bad, but it's all good. We haven't spoken about it.
Speaker 1: What happens to Ash after the show? I mean, did he want more? Did like, did you get out of the jungle? And did he try and then again try to slide into the DMS.
Speaker 2: Well, to be frank, to be frank.
Speaker 3: After we finished filming, we were passing offset, we passed, we're pashing after in the control room. We'll be able to pass the next day. During socials like there was there was a bit of fun passion. Then we got to Sydney and then it just kind of you know, got a coffee and we're like, yeah, nah, this is like a jungle tension thing.
Speaker 1: You know, so many people in the media today, you know, Colin Jack, you know, everybody asking you about whether or not you'd be the Bachelorette, and you know there's a whole lot of people out there that would love to see that. But you've added to the conversation, which you know, Angie Cant has spoken about about the need for diversity on shows that we're seeing, and we need to see ourselves on television. I think we need more representation and diversity on television. Is there someone like maybe Paulini? What did you talk to Paulinie about doing? Can we hit her up for this?
Speaker 3: I've been campaigning, I've got a social media campaign, I've got a start up on my campaign to win celeb that's tick. Next next stop is Paulinie bachelorette. I'm gonna I'm going to try and make it happen. She is the absolute But she's such a lovely human. She's talented, she's gorgeous, she's everything, she's open to looking for love.
Speaker 2: I just feel like she's it. She's the next one.
Speaker 1: You were such a fantastic and dynamic contestant, probably one of the most in some ways polarizing, but some ways the most likable contestant. We've seen something really quite new for television. The thing I think is probably going to sound like the weirdest question I have for you, But what advice do you have for yourself moving forward?
Speaker 4: Like what are you going to do? What are you going to do?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Are you going to be kind to yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think A big thing that I struggle with, and this is even happening right now, is not being able to enjoy wins or joy enjoy moments like you know, if I told myself a week ago, you've won the jungle, Ather's o mine. But I'm just saying, like, God, I'm tired, and I think, Okay, what's next, what's next? What's next? I see you learn to enjoy things, have a breather and then move on to the next thing, rather than just being like k tick and kind of I think it's a bit of imposter syndrome, you know, when you.
Speaker 2: Achieve things and you go, what does matter now?
Speaker 3: Like I don't talk about it, It's fine, but I'm actually really proud of myself to this, So yeah, be a bit kind to myself and acknowledge my little and big wins.
Speaker 2: And this is a big one.
Speaker 4: This is a big one.
Speaker 1: I've actually been I saw you on social media, you flip the bird to the trolls out there that didn't, you know, support it, and I think you've brought flipping the bird back. I think I think it was huge in the eighties and nineties. I feel like it's coming back. Is there anyone out there that you like to flip the bird to at this point, or just just to say to those trolls calm.
Speaker 3: Down, Oh my god, all I mean everyone that's commenting saying she didn't served to win, and I'm like, but mathematically I did, because it's a voting system.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but but I simply but I did.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not sure what you want me to say, Like, what do you want me to prove to you you should have voted more.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like I want, like yeah no, big big for the bird to them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well. Thank you so much for being so generous with your time. I really hope that you enjoy the ride. I think Australia is just getting started with their love affair of you, and I look forward to seeing more of you on Australian screens.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much being so lovely loved to speak to you