Speaker 1: It's a sad day here at Tennis FM with Fritgie and the Chod. It's the final podcast for the Australian Open, but not the final podcast of all time. Chode, how are you feeling? Is Jode in the Choppa? No Chode is au Chode grounded? Joad has been grounded. Jode hates being Choad speaks in the third person so much.
Speaker 2: Cho Man, chod Man, Chode Man, sad Chode man Man skinny chad Man out.
Speaker 1: Well, let's play one final song for the Australian Open. Number one certified hit should be for sads Way closing time. Another slam for Alcoraz, He was a better one.
Speaker 2: It's clear Carlos time.
Speaker 1: Novak might get twenty five, but it won't be here. Alcras takes the AO thrown. No Vaks still could win. Wimble don al Coras takes the AO thrown. No Vaks still could win.
Speaker 2: Wimble don't wimbleedes.
Speaker 1: Wimble do? When's wimbledone? People are gonna get angry if we keep pronouncing it Wimbledon wimbledone, and that's the attraction we want.
Speaker 2: I love the history of Wimbledon, That's what I respect about it. How the tradition, how everything is the same it's been for years, including the.
Speaker 1: Name is wimbledone on your bucket list?
Speaker 2: Wimble done? I love we have Wimble. Don't Wimbledoo, I.
Speaker 1: Say, wimble, don't wimble, don't heaven, I'd love to go to Wimbledon. Yeah, well they're sending us here, don't we have a guarantee from Tennis Australia. And there was a thumbs up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I yeah, I'm booking my flights or I'll send them my frequok flight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just do that and then you know your details. Do b yeah, do passport number. We'll do all the admirin Greig Tyler does it himself.
Speaker 2: He's got this big Manila folder that he carries around under his arm every day just and there it's.
Speaker 1: Post it notes.
Speaker 2: It's it's like George gets stands a's wallet. It's yeah, just bursting full of papers and admin and he still uses a fax machine.
Speaker 1: The man in the past is, oh man, it is the final day. Did you have another song option for the day?
Speaker 2: You said, yeah, no I did, but then I forgot it on the walk in here I had and then I completely forgot it.
Speaker 1: It could have been to dream it's over, but then hey, now hey, now it was like Alchoraz it.
Speaker 2: So no, it's going to be Novak it's over. But it was too sad.
Speaker 1: Tournaments over the tournament.
Speaker 2: Hey, Novak got puffed in the four said.
Speaker 1: He's old.
Speaker 2: He's old old, too old to win a Grand slat. Will he get to twenty five?
Speaker 1: Maybe it wimbled for the pros of one man. I walked in here today and it was a sad sight to behold the Australian Open finish last night, Alcoraz taking the title in four sets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you say finished, it's like they're packing everything up. Yeah, they're gonna come. They're waiting for us to finish this podcast, to pack the studio.
Speaker 1: They wanted to bump out while we were in here. They're going to just start taking our jar of tennis balls and the racket, like what time are you doing, and we're like ten or something.
Speaker 2: They're like like annoyed the way he is exactly, and there's everyone's in high viz.
Speaker 1: They're bumping everything out. I got very sad. I saw a cart filled with giant tennis balls being shipped out of the state.
Speaker 2: That is sad. It's like so symbolic and it is like just it's over. The tennis is done.
Speaker 1: It's done. You also came in furious you had to pay for a coffee. I know, So what the hell is this? I'm not getting my twenty five dollars credit.
Speaker 2: I'm like, gee, I don't do this. But yeah, symbolically and physically it's over.
Speaker 1: It's over.
Speaker 2: But it finished with a bang, very special night.
Speaker 1: It felt like last night, I'm in very special tournament with very special friends. Are you referring to me? No, of course you've been a friend from wayback, is true. That is true. Thanks for bringing me and I've had the time of my life. Well you're welcome, dude. Never forget what have you done for me.
Speaker 2: I got you hot chips in the final yesterday and I said you can have Yeah, I know, and I was like thanks.
Speaker 1: We'll get to all that. I should say. Welcome to pod Labor Arena. Yeah, we're not going for good because the tournament's over. We'll be back. We're going weekly totally. That all needs to be figured out. But like the stay tuned, keep us on your subscription feed exactly as we will still be going red hotway because it's coming up to the American swing, that sunshine double hardcore, hardcore swing. Do you call it that? Well it is, so you're not wrong, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: If you listen to this podcast and you're like God, thank god it's over, it's only just because it's.
Speaker 1: Only just big un ah. And as always I am joined by my co host, the Stephen Edburgh to my Boris Becker. It is Sam Taunted and I.
Speaker 2: Just want to get early on here and say Piper hard Tech, thank you.
Speaker 1: You saved us yesterday they did.
Speaker 2: We drank warm champagne in this studio yep, and we loved it.
Speaker 1: Out of dirty glasses that had lipstick on them. Still our sponsor is always Piper Heid Sick get to slurp and douche nozzles.
Speaker 2: It has just descended. Were still yet to hear from Piper hard Tech. We would love to hear from you. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Did you like it? Are you happy with us found out? Have you seen sales skyrocket? Yeah? I mean it's good. We love it.
Speaker 2: We love it so much that apparently we didn't have to do it every day.
Speaker 1: Oh well, this is what we got told by our producer is that we were just meant to do a Piper Heidsick read on the first day. Yeah, and going every day. I was so excited to have just a fancy sponsor. I really dragged it down into the muck. But yeah, but because I'm twisting the script, Piper Heidsick, twist the script brand. Yeah. And also we keep emailing us pod labor at tennis dot com dot au. We've been getting tons of emails, but all from Lizzie, who which we are ignoring at this point. Yeah, but no, Louis, she'll be back as well. We'll be back a like, follow, subscribe, give us a five star review. Come to my perth Friend show, I'd say, come to my apartment, Come to my apartment and tell me I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm good, I'm good. Yeah, your pet Friend shows. What of the dates.
Speaker 1: Maybruary twelfth to the sixteenth, per Fringe. Yeah, so come see me an hour of stand up about tennis. It is all about tennis.
Speaker 2: And I'll also be doing my new hour of stand up, which is all about the American swing of the atp too. Oh really fantastic. I'm very excited. Comedy festival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh you're doing all the first time, doing all the festivals. You'll be in every city, every city. Ah. We had a huge day yesterday. It was so fun. The we finished here pretty early.
Speaker 2: Well by design, we wanted to get in early and then soak up the atmosphere because we've been kind of trapped in the studio quite a lot that I didn't let us leave that much. But yesterday we're like, we were going to get out there, and we were out there. We were bar hopping, we were getting I'm on broad sheet reading.
Speaker 1: The best food at the History Yeah, like not a joke, and we did. We found the best fried check. Yeah, it was so good. It was really good. Yeah, but it was a fantastic day. So yeah, we wrapped the podcast early and then we went out with Ace. We were bouncing around just having a great time out there, and then we saw that the Junior's Final was starting in Rod Laver Arena. It was fantastic and we were like, let's go check it out because I saw Keaton Hans was playing.
Speaker 2: And you because Keaton a young American buck, I don't know where he's from exactly in the States. I don't know if you got that guessing like an Arizona or that kind of energy. You said, maybe if it's East coast, it would be kind of Florida.
Speaker 1: Potentially, yeah, yeah, or like the Hampton. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I saw you kind of the closest i've seen to you ever, acting kind of like a father figure. You were there and you're like, come on, Keaton. I think, I said, you caught him son under your breath. No, noot Son. You said, what do you know about Keaton?
Speaker 1: I said, I know he's a good kid, and he's a good he's a good kid. But he disappointed me.
Speaker 2: Great yeah, yeah, yeah, which I mean maybe he is in your family. That that's what you would get used to being used to that.
Speaker 1: You stormed out there.
Speaker 2: He said, no, son of mine is going to lose the Australian Open Junior men's final.
Speaker 1: And he did. He lost to Slovakian Ziga sesco In three said, but I should say they play best three of the juniors, and they also played less. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It took us a while to figure that out, Like what's going on here? I turned to you and I'm like, dude, I think I'm losing my mind. I think I've seen seven nets. No one's really what's going on. It's just bouncing off the net and it was brutally. There was some contentious points as well, like that had kind of implications for the good quality of tennis. Though, oh man, I know these guys are like future stars obviously, like junior grand sname finals often kind of predict who's going to go on to do great things. But I still had a part of me where I'm like, let's go see the little kids. Yeah, hit the ball and you get in there and says first of one, nine to five, and you're like, whoa ripping four hands?
Speaker 1: It was amazing. Yeah, and there was you loved one. Ziega argued a line call because you can't and I said, you can't argue with the Chubb close call.
Speaker 2: The robot he said, can I see He goes, can I see Chubb again? Yeah, and then it's like it's a robot, dude, Like the robot's going to admit it's wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, I've seen players asked to see the close call because I don't know that. I think they want to breathere omos or they just want whatever confirmation, you know, But this seemed like he really thought they were going to show it. And then here's gonna go see and Chubb was gonna go Oh shit, I screwed this one, dude.
Speaker 2: I've watched so many matches. Chub never backs down. Chub's always right. No matter how wrong you think, Chubby, Chubby is always correct.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: So we enjoyed the juniors. It's great. Yeah, it was really good. And then we popped out. It was there's a party vibe in the air.
Speaker 2: I think ground passes are a little bit cheaper, and the vibe is like, just calm down and even if you don't have a ticket to the final week down.
Speaker 1: Like I said, we were out in the grounds by you know, midday ash, but we just slowly saw it just get packed. Yeah, more packed. And then we heard tell of a rap party for the media and staff.
Speaker 2: And this excites us so much because I guess we have worked in the media in different capacities, but like as comedians, never serious, No, people.
Speaker 1: Don't take us serious.
Speaker 2: But for the first time I feel like in my life that people are taking me seriously here with my past, are they Well, there's no difference to my past to like another journal Right, went to the rat party.
Speaker 1: And there's drinks, just a bar it's.
Speaker 2: Like media, international media, and it's nice to be there with our colleagues.
Speaker 1: They have this giant screen playing you know whatever, tennis, playing our podcasts playing let's let's not be humble. Well, if they were playing the podcast, maybe we would have been more respected because we went in there and I am and know how to act in these situations. That because I walk up to the bar, I'm just going to grab a drink confidently and walk away. And then Sam Tartan being the you know, little how are you gonna work? Fragile fragile man?
Speaker 2: That is because excuse me? Are we allowed to have these? Can I request a drink? My whistle is parched and I need some kind of refreshment and I allowed? What okay, what's crazy about that is you must have been recording me, because that is word for word what I said. Also the cadence and she goes, she looks at your past and she goes, no, you don't have the right pass.
Speaker 1: These aren't for.
Speaker 2: You, and okay's so sorry. And then there was a bit of a gust of wind and I just blew over. Yeah, And then you were like, did you know I eat pancakes with my girlfriend?
Speaker 1: During five cent manches.
Speaker 2: No, this is defamation, right, And now what happened was I walked up and look, maybe I feel like you're a bit more of a career grafter than me, do you know what I mean? So maybe you're like you just confidently grub a drink in this movie.
Speaker 1: Well that's what you do.
Speaker 2: I like to be accepted into certain places. So I know I didn't word it like that. I said, can I just grab one of these? That's how I said it. I even say, you think that was too much? Yeah, but then that's so rude to walk up to a bar just grab a drinking bar. Yeah, but that's you have to say something. What I'm gonna not look her in the because she checked on the table, grab my drink, and walk off.
Speaker 1: But because she checked your past, then I was obviously in your orbit and she checked my past. And she goes like, you guys are going to have to clear this with Belinda, who's standing over there.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, look, you think I there's no world in which you get in and I don't get in. You get caught up in the same way I get caught I was.
Speaker 1: I was making my way in. I was like high fiving people know you that's yeah, that's not true anyway. It was fellas when ray Leiota walks through the bar and everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like, now he was hurriedly behind me, you know, almost like a congo lot.
Speaker 1: You were cowering behind me.
Speaker 2: And then you're like, oh, please, like, do you have anything with more fluid in it?
Speaker 1: Please? My allergies is my blood sugar is a bit low? Is there?
Speaker 2: Non alcoholic? I get indigestion. And then and then she goes, you guys are gonna have to talk to Belinda is an effect name. Yes, we don't want to get anyone, you know. So we were like, absolutely, this will all get worked out because we haven't really been turned away anywhere. No, And these are all media people, she was tayking, it's for like external international media or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a big party, but there were so many people there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the eyes white Chut party in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there was crazy stuff. No cameras, phones had to go into a bag. That kind of a party basically.
Speaker 1: And then we go talk to Belinda and I'll let you explain because you can because.
Speaker 2: I did so well that Mike was like, you go talk to Belinda, this will work out. So I wander over to Belinda and I was like, so, what's going on? Yeah, is with my they said my past won't work And she's like, yeah, you're not allowed in here. And I was like, but we're media, and she's like looking at my past. And then I think to soften it, she goes, your past is better than their past and I was like, but we're not allowed here. Like yeah, I was like, you can't gaslight me. Immediately she was like, your past can go more places. I'm like, but we're not allowed here. What are you talking about? And then you come over because I think you see me flailing around as well. So you go up to Belinda and you're like, just let us help.
Speaker 1: You just got to plead it. You're like, come on, let us have thought that might work because I was I was saying. I was like, this is the last day, right, I go, this is the last day? Like come on totally. Also, at this point, ace Man got in. Didn't he behind us? Well we thought he did, but we'll get the ace Man. We were hanging with ace Man, you know, but we're over there talking about I thought ace Man.
Speaker 2: Is like, you know, he's in there in the crowd. He's lit a cigar already. Yeah, exactly. And so we're talking to Belinda and I go, it's the last day. Do you really care? And she goes, I do. Yeah, And it was if it wasn't happening to us, I would have stood and applauded that woman. It kind of ruled from her perspective, but we were like, oh my god. And she looked at us with like discussed like I'm pretty sure she thought we shouldn't have been anywhere at the tennis I shouldn't have been involved at all.
Speaker 1: But it did kind of rule.
Speaker 2: It was like the perfect scene in like a sitcom comedy, going I do and then sort of walking away and we're like god.
Speaker 1: And so Ace was kicked out. So that's when we went and got paper. I'd say, slope it up. And it came to the rescue. They did, and it's fantastic, champagne. We went and sat on the balcony with a kind of a core crew.
Speaker 2: And had a better time and pretty much just spoke about Blinda the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Blinda, her story is not done yet, because that's a big part of it. We got word that we were in for the men's final.
Speaker 2: So he from nowhere. Errol just is like, I got his tickets. We're in, and we said an ace van and he said no, and we were and we had to cut ace manalers and we are sorry, but you're not going to pass up a Grand Stone final basically. So Eryl comes through and so we're all having a drink, We're getting excited, and Errol's like, we have to go and get out. Our passes is validated and they'll put us on the list. So then we have to.
Speaker 1: Put a certain number on your accreditation pass on a list to make sure you can get into the men's fire Yeah right, yeah, yeah yeah, And so we go up to the counter. Yea.
Speaker 2: So we have to go to a different part of this whole complex to go to this different counter to get there.
Speaker 1: We're a bit nervous.
Speaker 2: We'll like god, you know, because you still don't know if it's going to happen or it's going to happen. Who do we see in charge of the media passes, Blinda, my heart. You immediately look at me and like if you think I handled it badly trying to get a free Japanese beer from the media drinks.
Speaker 1: I was like, aboard, aboard, abot, we have to leave, we have to leave.
Speaker 2: And she couldn't look us in the eye. She didn't even say hello. No, she acted like we'd never met.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, she didn't know. I was so close to being like, oh, you know the pretty woman moment. Yeah, big mistake, Yeah, Hugh, exactly, we're the do not realize who you messed with, Linda, and we're buzzing on the best bubbly in the world.
Speaker 2: Or just like pyper hard sick drunk, We're having the time of our lot.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't even give us a warm reasoning. So we got into the final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a long way of saying we got in and it was fantastic. We're up there, we're in the seats US three, Errol. We don't know what happened to ace Man. I think we had to cut him loose.
Speaker 1: So we're in the media section again, where you're not allowed to show emotion.
Speaker 2: No, you can't do anything. And that was particularly hard because the great folk there at Tennis Australia did something brilliant. They brought out Sophie Ellis Baxter to sing her smash hit murder on the Dens floor, no stage, just her and heels alone in the middle of the court.
Speaker 1: If I could be in Sovielle's Baxter's ear, I would have been like, make it tennis, make it murder on the hard court. Yeah, that would have been great. You're also in the mindset of writing a parody tennis song a day every morning, which I'm saving Jess for Grand Slams. So yeah, she was the opening act, came out, did one song. It was fantastic, crazy state. The media section is popping off at this point. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you could show emotion for the pre match that's allowed. I think so well. I mean we were singing along, we were standing, singing, hugging, but there so they had the roofs slightly open for the Alcoraz Djokovic match, which you know, it's some table setting. It's a historic match. Was Djokovic going for twenty five and Alcaraz going to gunning to be the youngest you ever get the career slam.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and when they came out it was quite fascinating to see who was going to have more support. Yeah, and it pretty quickly became clear it was Novak. He got a bigger cheer. Maybe it was like sixty forty his way from the crowd. It is funny that he felt like Ozzie Novak for a moment. I was like, oh, good to know we've still got to play it going in the tournament. Yeah, because people you just heard the most Aussi.
Speaker 1: Being like, you can do a Novak mate, come on throughout the match. Chance of Novak, Yeah, I think it's people want to see the old guy win another one, you know, I think so. I think it was a stadium full of people who are vicariously rejecting the grim specter of death.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was beautiful and look, I do think there is something in that also like that. I think people want to know, like they just want to win for the old guy. When he was top dog, people didn't like him and now underdog.
Speaker 1: Great story. It's like everyone's the bloody love that bloke.
Speaker 2: And I think he's in the right way, it's got the right attitude, does everything correct.
Speaker 1: Well. I think everyone saw the press conference where he was accused of always chasing his entire career. Yeah, and people are like what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, even the most rusted on Novak hater would be like, I mean, give the gud break.
Speaker 1: So the cheers were big for Novak upon arrival into the stadium. Uh, the chair umpire was Ozzie, Yeah John, Big John, Big John's John. So like when the crowd got a bit rowdy.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh, come on, guys, dude, I'll get the secies to kick you out.
Speaker 1: He said that at one point.
Speaker 2: Now he is doing like the ambiguous kind of European esl kind of voice the whole time. But he did break at one point and he said, he goes, come on, guys, I know you're excited, but please don't call out.
Speaker 1: Lady, don't know if you can call out during the mooins, you will be sent out and that will ruin your night. Please don't do it. And it was great and you heard the Aussie accent come out in that his Chubb clothes call was yeah nah ah. So should we get into the details of the man I'd love to I'd love I mean, we've already talked for so long, like I think the obviously everyone know was the result. It was Carlitos in four sets, but the first set was vintage Djokovic going for broke redlining.
Speaker 2: His game, unbelievable, flawless at a tennis he was serving at like ninety percent. It was ninety three percent, Like into the six game he won something. It was just crazy. He was just like an immovable force.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Carlos like rattled. Well, I think you would be. He came out number one. They're cheering for him.
Speaker 2: For Novak, I think he would have been maybe not prepared for that, not used to it, not used to it at all.
Speaker 1: It's just the most lovable guy of all time.
Speaker 2: And then Novak just comes out playing like a twenty two year old whipper snapper at the top of his game, and it was it was also it was yeah.
Speaker 1: It was unreal that first set, like I loved I mean, the first set and the four set were the best, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: But then the second set, it just the switch flicked immediately. And then Carlitos kind of stood up and started playing better tennis.
Speaker 1: Is that a fitness thing? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I feel like I said this to you, and I felt like I think Nova was like, I'm not going to win straight sets at some point, He's going to bring the heat. It's a game of momentum, and I think I don't know. Maybe he could have kept pushing, but maybe he knew his fitness wasn't. Ultimately, it could be fitness that kind of got him at the at the end if you look at the kind of the last few points of the match. So maybe just the burn happened a bit, and he was like, I need to conserve energy because we went six to again the opposite direction in the second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was a thirty eight year old playing a twenty two year old, and you like, redline your game for the first set, and then Carlo's weather's the storm, and then he locks in and then takes the next two sets pretty handily, pretty easy. Yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: It felt different the fourth though, the start of the fourth felt different. Yeah, we'd gotten hot chips as well, that could be why, but also the energy seemed to we.
Speaker 1: Were not allowed to enjoy the hot chips and media.
Speaker 2: We had to eat them and then grimmas and it's disgusting. Yeah, and then uh, it's yuck.
Speaker 1: The journalists around us not the biggest fans of PODLB arena, Well, you were on the other side of me.
Speaker 2: But at one point I was I turned to talk to Catherine Murphy ABC, news sports journal behind me, and I said, look, I've been a tennis journalist for five days, but I think this is definitely going to five sets. And these two guys on laptops, he's actually journals looked at me and went.
Speaker 1: Rolled their roll their eyes of me, and then Belinda came in and kicked you with me, kicked me in their head. That's for existing. Yeah. So the next two sets, Carlos, I mean some unreal rallies. Absolutely, one that stands out for me is Jokovic, Uh crazy defense and then hits around around the post, around the post backhand, which would be a winner against everyone else on the plane, but somehow Carlos just appears and then just flicks it back into the court. And it was the craziest rally.
Speaker 2: Carlos was always out of position, and then Novak was out of position, but Carlitos, he still felt like he was sort of had a grip on it, and you know, you say to yourself, you like, get there, and then you're like, oh, he got there easy.
Speaker 1: All of the time in these rallies, he was crazy anticipation of where even around the post backhand. Yeah, he just like how did he get there? Yeah, the post in the way he materializes and then Djokovic hams it up like he went once. Carlos won that point off the best shot I think of the tournament. Uh. Novak like just looks up in the air and like scowls and like, yeah it plays it up, like what can I can you do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't get it past this guy. It's like me when I'm playing you a pickle ball. I look up to the guy and I said, what can I do?
Speaker 1: This guy is? He's too good? Thank you? And they thank you. Uh. The four set crowd chanting Novak in his first service game, it was crazy goose bump stuff, goose bump stuff. It like goes to four four. To me, the foreset was the most compelling in the past. Novak's revving the crowd up as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is like the scenes you just don't think you'd see in Australia. He's standing looking back up. The crowd just been like come on, let's go there, cheering.
Speaker 1: It was a crazy sight to see. I loved it. Yeah, but he had break points and couldn't convert, couldn't do it, and so I went to seven to five. Carlos Algarez, champion of the Australian Open. Well, there was that.
Speaker 2: I think it was a twenty four shot rally in the last game, and Carlos came out on top as he kind of did as the match kind of kept emerging those key moments, Colitos would kind of win. And I just think if Novak had won that point, he wouldn't have been like as like he would have been exhausted. He's a thirty eight year old man, but I think he would have been like buoyed by the success of winning the point that he wouldn't have been feeling it as much, maybe more adrenaline. He was defeated, and then you saw him really gasping air trying to get the second serve.
Speaker 1: And it was it was kind of done at that moment. Yeah, yeah, it was. And I realized at the start of the four set, even though my prediction was Carlos and four, I not that correct as well. So I called both finals so as commentary and inside is better than probably Andy Raddix or anyone else. Yeah, I think so who was a tennis podcast, But I realized.
Speaker 2: Right in if you'd agree with that as well, through how we messa all those emails.
Speaker 1: I realized throughout the match how badly I wanted Jokovic to win.
Speaker 2: That's exactly how I felt like as soon as it started and I said yesterday I wanted Carlos to win. I was like, I feel like that's a better story for me going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you think the old lady changed her mind? The old lady?
Speaker 2: Well, I thought the old lady was possessed by some of the kind of demon at some point. I'm not putting it all on the old lady. No, as soon as I walked out, it became apparent that I wanted no Back to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, does he win another Slam? Does he get through alcahaz and Center? No, No, I don't think so. Twenty four. I think it's done.
Speaker 2: And I thought his post match interview, I thought he was funny. That's the first thing, because I'm often very critical of tennis players getting.
Speaker 1: Very easy laughs out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but legit, some funny bits, some funny jokes.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a boat style the borat joke, which we love here at Paul Liver Arena.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're so young, you have a lot of time, like myself, So I'm sure we'll be seeing each other many more times in the next ten years.
Speaker 3: Ago not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not I mean real funny, Not.
Speaker 2: Mike, I've loved doing the podcast with you this week. Not dude, he's killing up there. Not bring Borack jokes back.
Speaker 1: Dude, not as amazing. It's like we used to say in the nineties, I'm old right, total yeah, And it was like I'm happy for you, not not yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh, I'm so glad you got the youngest guy to win the career Slam.
Speaker 2: Not I want you to beat all my records, I think, but I thought, you know, in that great joke, there's often a lot of truth in humor. I think he's he acknowledges he's done. He also said he kind of didn't even really see himself making the final.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he kind of.
Speaker 2: Had this weird ambiguous thing at the end where he's like, I don't know what's going to happen, and you're like.
Speaker 1: Are you okay? I think that's good, though, what's going on? Because I think he wants to you know, he's not doing a victory lap yet of all the tournaments, and I think he's getting to the finals, like I think he's going to be around at least till the end of next year.
Speaker 2: So do you think he is going to do Yeah, like you said, it's not the victory lap. Do you think he will hang on and bow out in the early stages of tournaments and he will be comfortable that or do you think he wants to go out while he's still you know, in the top handful of guys.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about the fact that Rafa was sitting behind him. You know, it was in rod Labors. See, it was in well two down from road Laby. Oh. Rod was watching from the comfort of his mansion, watching from the son I'm a celeb, I believe. Oh really, yeah, he really is taken to it.
Speaker 2: He loves he loves Jetta Cristo.
Speaker 1: She loves how open she is on the show. Rafa's sitting behind him, one of his greatest rivals. What would that do if, like your biggest rival was and then you see he's been put out the pasture, he's sitting there, he's the he's out here to sign a Kia or whatever. And we love fans of terrific speech. We'll get to that. I mean, like, say, your biggest rival was sitting front row at every comedy show you did. So it happens often.
Speaker 2: You buy a ticket and I'm like, hey, that was a good joke, Mat Matt actually the best heckle. If you want to heckle a comedian, just do that, Like that's really funny.
Speaker 1: Nat. So he's seen Rafa, he's not ready to be in that seat. He's not ready to be sitting there watching the or he's like, it looks pretty good. On the other side, Just do you think heep bringing you out? These guys have the competitive drive and they want to compete that well, I get I guess it must be.
Speaker 2: I was thinking it could be hard for Raffa because he's sitting there. He's not that far removed from No bec is hoy high level tennis.
Speaker 1: Who Rafa, That's what I mean, Like he's been retired.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like, yeah, it's not like it's the far far past where he was like the best player in the world or one of.
Speaker 1: The best players. We won this a few years ago.
Speaker 2: Totally, That's what I mean. So it's like he must be like, must be hard watching you want to get out.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to say it right here. Novek is holding onto his career harder than Rafa is holding onto his hairline. You've heard it here? Is that where we were going? Yeah, I was trying to get there. Why did you tell me? You should have told me otherwise. I'm just getting in there, shutting away. No, no, but I do think. And Rafa said before the match that he supports Carlos and people are like, oh, why would you say this? Of course he says that they're both Spanish. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And then we spotted Raffa where he was sitting. It was hard not to.
Speaker 2: It looked like there was another bloodlight down the bottom in the crowd.
Speaker 1: It was bouncing off his bald well.
Speaker 2: We were behind him, and so the little crown was just it's all you could really see. There was never a real thing of like, oh, where's Raffa? Can we spot Raffa in the grady?
Speaker 1: There he is. You see that thing illuminating up from the darkness. A few things from like around the turn well around the final match. Novak pre match. I don't know if you saw this of his trainer giving him a head massage and whispering in his ear. It is it is beautiful, right, I mean, I'd kill for that.
Speaker 2: It's so, it's been doing something similar to me before every record call. Yeah, and then he starts to whispering.
Speaker 1: Look at this. Do you ask for it or does he just start doing it?
Speaker 2: I think you no, I don't ask for it.
Speaker 1: I actually have a strict.
Speaker 2: No touching policy, which he just continues to violate. You know what he was I can lip read. Do you know what he was saying?
Speaker 1: What he was like? You have to check out this podcast. It's called pod Labor, right, all the best stuff he's like.
Speaker 2: It's fun, it's kind of informative. Yeah, it's a great new take on tennis, right, going weekly.
Speaker 1: Uh, the Kia ambassador gave a speech. This is always what I'm most excited for. Of course, every open is what the Kia ambassador is going to say at the end of the match.
Speaker 2: I love Keya. Obviously they're without them, this tournament couldn't exist. But I would just love one year for him to go, yeah, look we didn't nail it this year, pretty rough tournament and then walk off.
Speaker 1: Just spice it up. Should we have a look at what happened during his spare?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, Today Kea stands as a global leader in mobility and in shaping the future.
Speaker 4: Together with the Australian Open.
Speaker 1: He loves it. He loves it. So if you didn't hear that properly he's saying today, and then someone heckles from they yelled out boring, awesome, so good, yeah, so good. It only could have been better if than he yelled back, the key guy not.
Speaker 2: And he kind of smirks, he smokes. He liked it because he would know that no one is really hanging. There might be one or two car tennis crossover heads that really want to hear what he's got to say, but for the most part, everyone's like, can you hurry up?
Speaker 1: Man, can you hurry up? I love the Lord. The Men's Final the most expensive ticket for anything ever, So someone just paid top dollar at the heckle boring. Yeah, it's boring, boring, boring. Hey, it's Brett and Lexi from the AO Rap podcast.
Speaker 3: We admit Mike and Lizzie are hilarious, but if you've heard enough of them banging on and just want to hear some actual tennis talk, match analysis and reaction, come and hang with us every day of the Main Draw.
Speaker 2: The IRAP available wherever you get your podcast time.
Speaker 1: Podlabor Arena is absolutely killing it. That's not me being sarcastic at all. We're up to number twelve. That's crazy in the podcast charts. That's huge.
Speaker 2: It's actually like, I'm quite shocked, and it's kind of cool that.
Speaker 1: People are out there listening to it. Take that Belinda Belinda.
Speaker 2: And doesn't listen. I think I know what podcast she listens to.
Speaker 1: Actually, Andy Roddickson. Yeah, because he's number five, but he's also a Grand Slam champion who is very insightful and gives an amazing commentary game. Pretty funny for a professional athlete. But you're not going to hear Chod jokes.
Speaker 2: When he doesn't have any chode or fridge Guy song. He has no hot take on Chubb close call does he?
Speaker 1: He would never sing a song. He would never sing a song. So thank you everyone so much, Andy Rodder, and tell everybody to listen to the pod because we will be going weekly.
Speaker 2: We will, And tell everyone not to listen to Andy Rottick please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're getting Lizzie Hubeck fantastic. Yeah she was she on Andy Ronnicks podcast. Yeah she was.
Speaker 2: She left us to do an erotics and she's kind of come crawling back, and she's coming crawling back for our weekly editions, and then I'll be over for Indian Wells, so I'll be reporting on the ground on the ground. You got and you've got meteor cred so we can send you around.
Speaker 1: I would love media cred. I'm just a punter at this point.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, you're one of the people the mighty have fallen.
Speaker 1: Dude. This is like I think we've said it before, but this tournament for us, with all the cred and access has been like flying business class on a long haul flight. It is amazing. You can never go back, but I'm going to go back to, you know, the working class seats.
Speaker 2: I think nothing will make Belinda happier than hearing that.
Speaker 1: Sam. So awesome to have you on board for the final week and going forward. What was your highlights of the tournament.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I can't go past getting to go to a Grand Slam final like that is just a crazy, once in a lifetime experience.
Speaker 1: So that is going to stay with me forever.
Speaker 2: Meeting people is just like meeting tennis players is just crazy from a real personal perspective.
Speaker 1: It's great though, I mean, you almost left during the final to have beef boy with your girl friend.
Speaker 2: My actual highlight is when you were teasing me about going to leave, and you said you're going to leave to have and you were flailing and you got some strawberry pasta.
Speaker 1: That's a thing? Is it a thing? Shavantek said, she eats strawberry pasta. And if you were here for the first week, well, I wasn't here for the first week. You should have been listening to the show.
Speaker 2: I was listening in patches, but Roddick was on a real hot streak with his show. Thanks for bringing me in, mat though, I've loved it. What's pin your highlight?
Speaker 1: My highlight outside of the semifinals Verev and Alkoraz that we were there for that was like probably the most fun I've ever had watching a tennis match, despite you saying you were going to leave. I think that's why you have fun, that you were going to leave to have English muffins. I thought the Varenka story from the first week and watching him win that five center against uh yeah the French player seems like so long ago. Oh I know, yeah, yeah, yeah, It's been amazing though, Like, yeah, so the Verenka storyline was great. Watching Rebecca just inform just storm through the tournament was awesome. And uh, just a friendship. It's about the friend you make along the way. Speaking of one of the best friends we made along the way, our friend sound guy, our cameraman. We love this guy. Yeah, he's a king. And when we finished yesterday, we were like just walking around looking at the rooms. We haven't been in it. Yeah, just like exploring. And we went into the main presser room. It's huge, it's like a big theater.
Speaker 2: It's like a university theater or so it's you could see maybe three hundred people in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we went across into the huge press conference theater and it's massive. It's so funny. It's massive. It's got the big branded wall behind you, and we're we're getting pictures ha ha, pretending to do press conferences. And then we just go a so have a seat, and then well we'll grill you. Well, you know, we'll say you've had a loss, and we'll throw some questions at you.
Speaker 2: Just completely mucking around for no purpose at all, really, just to have a bit of fun.
Speaker 1: We I guess disregarded or willfully ignored the signs that said this is a live feed at all.
Speaker 2: Times, twenty four hour live feed. And I don't know if I didn't see it all the way in, but I think Eights.
Speaker 1: Probably knew about it. He should have anyway, So he sits down.
Speaker 2: We started throwing dumb questions at him, being like, yeah, what about the last he is saying stuff, it's pretty funny, We'll see it. Yeah, I think we just played. This is actually the best moment of the tournament because this went live to the ground to the ground, so anyone it was at Melbourne Park in front of the screen just saw Ace Man and we didn't realize until we started getting text messages being like, yo, why is he.
Speaker 1: He got a text from his big boss, like with just a screenshot of him doing the presser, and then like we look outside and like the whole of Melbourne Grounds is transfixed by what is going on. Ace's presser is one of my favorite parts of the Tournamently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it felt like that moment and it Star is born. When Lady Gagaa walks on, You're like, this guy is gonna be massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So it went to every TV on the grounds and like people. I mean, it's gonna go viral. I think so, I think, And I saw the because we were you know, we were part of it. Yeah, but then I saw the interview properly and it's it's so funny, it holds up, it's red hot, and it's like, you're so endearing, Ace. We loved you from day one, man, And this is how we want to close the AO. I think so with the tribute to a man, A bit to Ace Man. Well, this is uh, this is his press conference. Enjoy.
Speaker 4: Hello, thanks for coming to my press conference.
Speaker 1: How did you get involved with Arena?
Speaker 4: I got a call.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the loss today?
Speaker 4: The loss devastating? You know, I thought I thought I had him, and he surprised me with the lob and my shoes. You know, the strings came undone and and it got me tied up a little bit, and I felt.
Speaker 1: You tied your strings together with your shoelaces.
Speaker 4: My shoelace as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, fantastic, run us through. What happened when you shoot your pants?
Speaker 4: Well, I've had some Lentel and stomach is shoes, you know in fetterants? Have you said? I don't speak bigod English. Sorry, uh, And so I had some stomach problems and then I took care of it during the sets. Yeah, I had to make a quick dump, a quick dispatching.
Speaker 2: Do you do you regret not using the bathroom to do that quick dispatch and just doing it on cynecal.
Speaker 5: I went to do that, but there was a line and other people sitting. It's only two cubicles, so I had to run back to the court.
Speaker 1: You ran back court?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't want to get the time violation, so I had to. I haven't seen the footage. Was it embarrassing? Any other questions?
Speaker 1: When did you learn what age was?
Speaker 4: God? Uh? Not that long ago, just as the name suggests. Ironically is that ironically? A good friend of mine, a comedian, Michael Chokestein.
Speaker 1: That was good what we're saying? Good for it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's how I learned it, just about ten minutes ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Where are we going with this press conference?
Speaker 1: We'll ask the questions?
Speaker 4: Sorry, yes, sure. Thanks to everyone who helped put this event together. Special shout out to the Pod Dave Arena people and quig Tylee and Shannon and Ewell and Mike and Tim and Sam and Lizzie who and everyone thank you for a great and amazing event.
Speaker 1: While were weak yes, m hmmm,