Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the Tennis au Revoir. Andy Murray and.
Speaker 2: Djokovic part ways before Paris Schwantek struggles iggas drought extends to a full year at home in Rome, Ken Plini and Sinner complete the hometown double. That's all ahead on the Tennis with me Brie Stewart by my side. It's Australia's second favorite host and our very own head of original content.
Speaker 3: Save I'm in a different chair, which is good. We're mixing it up.
Speaker 1: We are mixing it up.
Speaker 3: I'm not being demoted though, am I not that you have the power to do that. We're just sharing a load of hosting.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's nice to have, you know, share a voice and we're a team. This isn't my show, it's ours, and by our, I mean everyone in the room.
Speaker 1: Okay, we might cut you off there across the table.
Speaker 3: That's really good.
Speaker 2: Stars Nick Kurios and Sam stows A, Simon Ray, so good to have you.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thanks to having me back on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great to have you back end for the second week in a row. It's atp Alumni and current WTA coach Luke Savile.
Speaker 1: How was the weekend visit from the fam.
Speaker 5: Very good, very good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, from the country to the Big Smoke, and went to a couple of footy games and.
Speaker 5: Carlton got up so we knew because of the.
Speaker 3: Thought.
Speaker 6: We were pretty nervous for a while in that game, but got up there and then went to another one on Sunday.
Speaker 5: So nice relaxing weekend.
Speaker 3: Did you do anything else or just footy footy footy and then send them home.
Speaker 6: I played a bit of Pennant on Saturday, so so brought them out and brought the dog out. He's an absolute nightmare at the tennis. Yeah that sounds would When people walked in between him and me, they I guess he thought someone was attacking me and he had to protect me from the people. So it was a bit of a nightmare, but good fun gray Weather and he survived.
Speaker 3: Tofu was there to save you?
Speaker 5: He was?
Speaker 6: He was. You know, he's eight kilos seven eight kilos, so he's pretty intimidating.
Speaker 7: So he's a good guard dog. How are you striking these days on the court? How are you striking them?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Not too bad.
Speaker 6: Went out there and as you know, Simon, I'm pretty well. You know, when I was playing I was pretty professional and ticked all the boxes and on on Saturday so much. I rocked up five minutes before, rolled a few serves over and started. So it's a little bit of a change of scenery for relaxing into it. Good fun play for rows out there and great club.
Speaker 1: We've got a jam pack show to get through today.
Speaker 2: But before we get into what's court, You're right, we're going to look at some of the big updates from overnight in Rome, because some big things did happen overnight. So we had chin Wen defeated Arena Sebolenka.
Speaker 3: From a very high perch. She begins to fall perhaps, or is Sabileinka going to bounce back in and just keep being amazing.
Speaker 7: Well, I think Sabolinka's form has been nothing short of immaculate really over the well across the entire twenty twenty five seasons. So it was a win that Jing needed to have against Sabolenka, particularly given the head to head which has been absolutely one way traffic in Sabolenka's favor. So I don't think it at all hurts or hindus Sabolenka's preparation for rolling Garross. She's won a ton of matches lately. She's in as good a four month guess we've ever seen her, particularly going into the clay court slam, so it doesn't hurt her and just gives chinwin Jing that little bit of a boost coming into Rolling Garross next week or the week after for the main draw players.
Speaker 3: And she was getting some tips from the crowd and her response was to shut the up really yeah, told a fan just to pipe down in the front row, quit like that. Yeah, but because I love but the crowd is starting to change a little bit and sometimes but get into it, but then just enjoy the match.
Speaker 5: Yeah, especially in Rome.
Speaker 6: There's been a few occasions this year in that sortament where the crowd's getting a little lippy. Yeah, and I think even Alex demon I had to say a few words to the crowd. And there's one other matches but maybe Menziic. So yeah, it's a little a little I guess unfortunate that the crowd's sort of getting to that point. But yeah, yeah, the first final, well the first time. She hasn't been in a final since February, so, as Simon said, it just incredible runner form.
Speaker 2: It'll be interesting to see Chin win again at Roland Garas because the last time she was a she won an Olympic gold medal.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yeah, so her new favorite turf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could be.
Speaker 2: We also saw a rematch from Madrid with Goth and Andreva and Gough defeating her again six four seven six. What heights will this rivalry reach? Coco is twenty one and Mirror's eighteen matches so far, Battle.
Speaker 6: Of the Babies all very young, Yeah, very exciting, and Goth leads that head to head four zero. Now, so yeah, she's got the three years on Mirror, which is quite substantial at that age twenty one to eighteen, but very exciting for the women's game tennis in general. Two amazing players, and Andreva I think she can win multiple slams and have an incredible career, same as Coco Gough.
Speaker 7: I think exciting is the right word when you think about these two. The first word that springs one for me is athletes. Physicality, you know, just incredible athletes both of these women, and I think they're going to be seeing as you touched on a lot more of each other over the next decade plus, because both of these women are going to be at the pointy end of whatever tournaments they enter for a long time to come.
Speaker 2: And then we saw Massetti defeated Zverev, which now sees Verev moving from his number two ranking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's got to hurt leading into a gasland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Akaraz is back in number two. Zverev has moved down to number three. But good match from Massetti seven six six y four against him.
Speaker 3: You'll switch through at the point he end of the tournament. Pretty exciting.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Mussetti's just playing incredible tennis right now. And I think someone said he is, you know, I can only sort of play on clay, but a lot of people don't realize he made the final Queens and Sammis of Wimbledon last year on the grass. So I think he's one of those players that can definitely push for that top four, top five because he can play on all surfaces. So definitely Clayzy's preferred surface, but he can play on all surfaces, and I think he's just coming into his own. He might be twenty three, twenty four years of age and amazing player. I'm very versatile and.
Speaker 3: All round back can perform. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And as is so often the case in these things. This is one where the head to head matchup plays a role, and it's three to one in Muzzetti's favor. So, for whatever reason, Muzzetti's game style seems to trouble vere If there's not many players that clearly was Vera's ranking and record being as good as what it is, there's not many players have a head to head edge over him, So this is a bit of a quirt that someone ranked where Muzetti is still an elite player would lead the head to head to that extent against Verev. Now, some of those have been on clay, but not all of them. He got them in Vienna at the back end of last year on indoor hard, and he's beaten them the last couple of times on clay, So three to one in Muzetti's favor. He likes coming up against Alexander Verev.
Speaker 2: Lastly, Ourcaaz defeated Jack Draper six four sixty four. Draper's looking very strong at what should be his least favorable surface, but he's obviously all eyes on him as we approach Wimbledon as well, because I think England's got all their hopes, prayers and dreams.
Speaker 3: On him, don't they? But they'll turn on him, they'll say he's Scottish or something like that, do with all their heroes. But Demon had a decent run, didn't he.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah he Yeah, another fourth round for Demon and he has over a week to freshen up for the French Open, where as we know he made the quarters last year, so eyeing off another run there. And I think during the clay he went two fourth rounds and two quarter finals, so on his least favorite surface he's done very well and I think he's just sitting around that sort of ten mark right now. So I feel like if he can hold that top ten after the clay, going into the grass, his best surface, and then onto the hard court where he didn't play much last year because he had that hip injury from Wimbledon, so not many points to defend there. And I think, you know, he's been pushing. He's been as high as top seven and absolutely incredible the way he's just getting everything out of himself.
Speaker 3: Was it last year at Roland Garrison where there was like the mini Demon, the kid dressed up as him that you got to get him back anyway rematch? Yeah, he was super keen, so good. Yeah, Oh my God, that was so cute that we'll find him. If you're out there listening, you probably not speaking French. But get to tennis.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on to what's caught your eye.
Speaker 3: Caught your eye.
Speaker 1: I was going to kick off.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it was my attempt to sting.
Speaker 1: I really liked it.
Speaker 2: I was going to kick off with mine first, just because I'm in the hosting chairs, I will be how we're going to focus to my own yep, No, but I wanted to discuss. Came out this week that Djokovic and Murray have parted ways. So they've been well, Murray's been his coach for the past six months. We saw them in action here at the Australian Open as well. They were expected to continue until at least Wimbledon, but he has made first round exits in four of his last five tournaments.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's I saw this news yesterday and I feel like there's probably been a disappointing stretch for Djokovic. I think we sort of can't ignore that he still made the semis of the Australian Open final of Miami, maybe a little bit injured in those matches, so obviously the Australian Open one where he pulled out. So we've just been so used to his lofty expectations winning at least two slams per year, so it hasn't been the partnership that we probably thought it could have been. Obviously they've potentially just sort of butted heads a little bit. Didn't work out the way they would have wanted and part of ways, but great to see. They both gave each other shout outs on Twitter and on their social medias. But it'll be interesting where Djokovic goes from here and sort of how much longer he plays for.
Speaker 3: Because I'm sure they're still mates, but it always felt strange to me, but were they ever mates? It's much I'm being a bit political here, but yeah, because it's sort of like your Novak Djokovic and you're Andy Murray. Why did Novak need Andy? Was it just for show? Like, look at me, I've got a coach and I'm not going to listen to him.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think it's for show. No.
Speaker 7: I think there's there's that element that there's always tricky to move beyond right or not an easy impediment to overcome in terms of you've been adversaries at the absolute guilt edge. He especially deep in Grand Slams, and it's easy to say that, I think a lot harder to do to put that that stuff, that baggage to one side and become united as a team on a high trust and psychological safety. And I think the best coach player relationships are those relationships where they're entirely open with each other. You know, I've got this level of honesty that's just unparalleled, and I wouldn't imagine it's easy to get to that. You overlay some of Novak's recent struggles against that, and looks done a great job of touching on some of those. Against such a lofty standard that we're accustomed to seeing from him. He's at a really, really tricky spot in his career.
Speaker 3: Not for the first time.
Speaker 7: We've seen him have, perhaps not to this extent, but we've seen him have some dips along the way, probably going back now I have to check my records, but six or seven years we saw him have a bit of a dip in his career there He's rebounded before this one looks like it's really serious or really grave again up against that lofty backdrop, and so I just got to feel like the tension would have been high in the camp. There wouldn't have been These wouldn't have been easy conversations or easy moments to navigate through. Let's alone coming from that background where they've been adversaries for the best part of twenty years. So I'd have to say it's probably not a huge surprise knowing some of the volatility that might have been at play here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it just was always weird to me that someone's being coached by someone who was always beaten by you. So no, not always, sorry always, but just speaking about Australian Open, like how many quarter semis and finals did they meet and Novak would defeat him and now he's meant to be taking advice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I suppose, and look would be able to talk to this. I suppose, And I've got my own bias here. You know, sometimes if you're Novak, you're potentially the greatest player of all time. You can't be coached by anyone then.
Speaker 3: To that point, yes, Kings, So it's a complainer.
Speaker 5: It's got his record.
Speaker 3: Are you prepared to take advice or not?
Speaker 7: It's a little bit like sometimes with a coaching hat on you know, every parent wants the youngster to hit with a player better than them, but if you Novak, you'd never take the practice court everft That's exactly right, So Luke would have his own view on what makes a great player is not necessarily I don't think that the ingredients that will make a great coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I completely agree. I think he went to Andy to try and I guess have someone where he could relate to for those bigger matches. Andy had been at the point end of so many Slams, so many events where they played each other, and maybe Djokovic was sort of trying to get his insight into maybe what he saw from about Djokovic's game from an opponent standpoint, So you don't really know. But yeah, back to your point, someone you know, I think someone like Djokovic and a lot of these top ten players, especially like if they wanted someone to coach them who was better than them, there wouldn't be many around it, so many candidates.
Speaker 5: So yeah, interesting. I agree.
Speaker 6: It's a strange appointment when first happened, but not too surprised that that sort of come to an end.
Speaker 3: What was you just changed tennis? Then once you're the best, you just leave.
Speaker 1: Paddle or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, form question, who do you think wouldn't be his next coach? What's what's in the cards?
Speaker 1: Now? Where to from a coaching point of view?
Speaker 3: You've got the job.
Speaker 5: So guys, I'm leaving a few days. We're starting a trial with the French I got. I got a call from an unknown number, which I usually don't take last night.
Speaker 3: Did you pay that debt back? Or is that a different way front?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've probably got some span on my phone. You know.
Speaker 6: He part of ways with his long term coach, Marion Vider a couple of years back, and who knows, maybe he goes back there. But you know, I feel like someone you know, I guess for the tail end of his of his career right now, and someone who maybe he can relate to, maybe enjoy it with. Potentially wasn't much much enjoyment with with Murray there, so maybe even like a relation, possibly even one of his brothers. I'm not sure, but yeah, it's an interest. Do you think he's got another slam in him some?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think it's interesting, Luke, because my mind went to the same place. Is it back to a Marion Bider or a Gore, An Ivanissovitch, those people that have been key ingredients in this corner for so long, and perhaps that stability and solidarity right now is what's sorely needed. If you're inside the Jokovic camp, I'm not going to say no. Yeah, I've got to think come Wimbledon and come to the US Open. I think it's unlikely to be at Roland Garross and come to the Australian Open again. I'm not going to say no because I'm just not silly enough. I hope to write off what, in my mind is the greatest player of all time. So I need more evidence. We've had a little bit of evidence recently, but I need more evidence before I can definitively sit here and say no.
Speaker 5: I don't think so the time's up.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens with Djokovic in the coming weeks as we get to rollin GARRA's But Simon, we're going to stay on you.
Speaker 1: What caught your eye this week?
Speaker 7: I wanted to talk a little bit about Peyton Sterns and we've seen her with some remarkable back to back to back victories this week in Rome, but even coming back a little bit further beyond that, this has been an interesting story of resilience and maybe humor in the face of some adversity, and she's maybe handled some things a little bit differently than we might have become accustomed to most of these players handling them in the circumstances. But I think she's been true to herself, right, So what I mean by that. In early April, she loses her coach, Tom Hill, who is the previous coach of Maria Sachary worked with Peyton Sterns for the best part of a year. They started in the clay court swing twelve months ago. Tom said, Peyton, thanks, but no thanks, I'm going back to the camp of Sachary. Early April leaves Peyton Sterns. And this is not an off season thing. Remember this is now a month out from Roland Garross Winwood's right around the court. This is in the midst of the season.
Speaker 5: It's not good timing, doesn't get much, doesn't get much worse time.
Speaker 7: And I think Peyton Stern's, to her credit, kind of handled it with a degree of humor that I quite liked. Unique and we don't often see it. Went on social media and said, well, applications now open, dm me. You know, I'm looking for a coach, and I think has since landed on BLAZKAVC and I think she posted again applications now closed.
Speaker 3: And they started again.
Speaker 7: Come on, yeah, they started. We don't often see it. They started in Madrid she did really well. She defeated our own Australian Kimberrell. There she been Amanda in a Simova Massarova, who's a good player, lost to sabal Anca. And then in Rome she's gone up a gear again. So she's defeated klan Skyer, she's defeated Keys seven six in the third, she's defeated Osaka seven six and the third, and she's defeated Alina's for Delena if you don't mind, seven six and the third. So it's been the most remarkable run you.
Speaker 1: Need but to get a lottery ticket with those numbers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So clearly, you know, despite all of that upheaval and adversity and change in her camp over the last month or two, she's playing some of the best tennis of her life. So I took my cap to her in that regard, and it's easy to understand why. Even though I mentioned how difficult. Perhaps that that backdrop is her game is so well suited to the courts and to the red clay in particular. She's someone that is fourhand dominant in her game and she smacks the ball. She doesn't hold back. So in terms of what we come to expect in the women's game, top the top ten players in the world average one hundred and eight en kilometers an hour on their forehand and twenty four hundred ReBs. That's speed and spin. What does she do?
Speaker 3: What does she do?
Speaker 7: Peyton STN's on fourhand side, she's averaging one hundred and twenty three, so five kilometers an hour more than the top ten, and she's averaging way up at twenty six hundred ReBs on the ball on four hand side. So the these are these are elite numbers and Luke will be able to talk to. And it's not just on fourhand side. She actually exceeds the average as well on backhand side from speed and spin, so that ball's coming at you in a hurry and it's jumping and exploding at you on the red clay, she's got a kicksurve to go with it. And the other thing is from a tactical perspective, She's someone that one of the tactical measures we measure here on our dashboards. Luke Ha talked to us, how often are you looking for your forehand out of your backhand corner? If you're someone liked Neil Medvedev, you're not really looking for that play. You're happy to trust your backhand. If you're someone like Peyton Stens, forty percent of your fehands are out of your backhand corner. That means she's hungry to find her forehand at all, every every and any available opportunity. That the number there, that what's par is twenty percent. So she doubles that she's desperate to hit her forehand and when she finds it she can do something.
Speaker 3: She must be quick on her feet to get there.
Speaker 7: That's exactly right, And that's a really good, amazing to make zave Is. It's one thing to want to play like that. It's another thing entirely to be able to physically commit to that and employment that game.
Speaker 6: Stop, well, said Simon, and I think, yeah, the slower courts allow her to actually get around and use her feed to hit those foehands. Because Dasha actually played her at Wimbledon last year and she beat her, and I thought it was a pretty good match up on the grass because we're actually able to get it into the back end and the speed of the surface you're you know, I guess you're just able to do that and then also get her into her forehand corner, because that's Simon saying, she's sort of camping in that backhand corner quite a bit. So it's very interesting. She's playing great on the clay. I think she moves very well as well. I think we sort of underestimate the power of college tennis as well. She came through college and just played so many matches. You learn to compete at college, and I think she's done that. And yeah, she plays a lot of three setters, as you're alluded to, and I think she's a real chance for the French Open as well. And great to see that sort of story of resilience and you lose your coach and in the middle of the season and you come and you're in the semis and you've got a crack at PALLLLINI so very good.
Speaker 1: Can ask what do you think, both of you? How's she going to go against Paullini?
Speaker 7: Well, they've not played before, but who's Yeah, she can't continue to ride the crest of the wave, right, Yeah. I think the key is when you've got this type of momentum, it's hard to get so when you're running hot like this against the backdrop of tumult and uphevil and she'll be desperate to keep this going. She's got conditions that suit the courts in Rome in particular are generally pretty lively, which exacerbates the effect of that spin on her forehand side and particular, and a kick serve, so she's going to be a handful. And then she's up against the hometown girl. So probably a fifty to fifty matchup for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, probably is a question of what she's got left in the tank. Yeah, I think there's a few of those six in the thirds as well, So Paulini playing at home there'll be some nerves there as well, but obviously the home crowd advantage as well. So very intriguing that match. I don't know, it's probably genuine fifty to fifty and depends a little bit on Sterns how she's feeling, but probably give the edge to Paulini there who French Open Final last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, final of.
Speaker 6: Wimbledon as well, beat Dasha first round of the French and thought it wasn't a great performance from Dasher, and then two weeks later in the.
Speaker 5: Final so and then the final of the Wimbledon as well.
Speaker 6: So great story of resilience actually for Paulini as well. She's a little older and sort of.
Speaker 1: Hanging around now twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's really just the last couple of years where she's really broken through, so you know, very small, so she's got to work super hard. It's a great sort of I guess example for Dasher as well, who's not the biggest and you've just got to be there every point, point in, point out and really compete.
Speaker 5: So yeah, good match there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's not stop you on your role. What's caught your eye, Luke, So.
Speaker 6: I wanted to talk about the withdrawals and lucky losers in Rome this week, and we've got nine in total, four lucky losers on the men's side and five and the women's and outside of those as well, there are four more pullouts on the women's side where they weren't lucky losers but they were within the tournament and three more on the men's including hum Bear, Breeze Boy, Tomo and Matteo Barattini so and then on the women's side, Badosa Siegerman who beat Dasha in qualities, Gavid of a benchit Folinets And I'm not sure what you think, Simon, but I've been saying it for a while and just the the schedule. The season is so long, it's so physical. The game is becoming more and more physical as well, well, only in May, and we're seeing that amount of pullouts and lucky losers. And I think these two week events as well, they're super long and you're just hanging around the courts and I think, you know, we haven't even played our second Grand Slam of the year yet, and you know, I feel like a lot of the players are sort of laboring at the moment.
Speaker 5: So very interesting one.
Speaker 6: I feel like we need to sort of shorten the season possibly, but then again, we want the top players playing all these events, So it is a tricky one. Not sure what the answer exactly is, but I feel like something's got to sort of change that.
Speaker 3: There's a bit of a silver lining to it, not necessarily for those bigger names, but more for the younger players coming through, the lower ranked players, they get a chance. Like these lucky losers, they're lucky for a reason because they know that they've finally got an opportunity to put themselves on the world stage.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, that's the great thing about a lucky loser. You get a second chance. And especially in these Masters series where there's buyers and lucky losers can go into that second round slot. So it definitely is very very lucky for those players. But I just think, yeah, look, we want the top players playing, but you've got Djokovic, Montfige, Goffen, Humbert, Bearattini pulling out. I'm not sure it's great for the game having those guys injured and playing injured. And the other thing with these Master series there's mandatories. So if you're sort of healthy, you have to play, otherwise theres fines.
Speaker 2: So can you explain that a bit, luke, because I know that, Like, so if you have like you're going to you have to play. You have to prove that you're not fit to play as well, Right, you can't our listeners, You're going to have it see the doctors.
Speaker 6: And even them, you've only got so many of those cards that you can only sat amount, and if you're healthy and don't play, it's obviously a big fine and you take a zero on your ranking. So I guess with people they don't know that you get eighteen slots for your points accountable to accountable tournaments throughout the year, So a zero on one of those if your top hundred is substantial because probably if your top twenty, that eighteenth slot could be a fifty pointer, so it's actually substantial, and that could be the difference of multiple ranking spots.
Speaker 5: So it is a tough one. I don't think there's too many.
Speaker 6: Other sports where there's an eleven month season, especially something as physical as tennis, so I think, and then I guess the other argument is if we shorten it, a lot of these top players playing exhibitions, and that really contradicts that.
Speaker 5: I completely get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, you guys are meant to be resting.
Speaker 5: They might say it's less pressure, it's a job, but.
Speaker 1: Again, we all need money. Yeah, it's expensive.
Speaker 3: We get four weeks off a year in Australia. You know they get four weeks off. Granted I'm sitting in a chair talking into a microphone and not running a couple hundred k's on a court.
Speaker 5: But look, I couldn't it ree more.
Speaker 7: Something's got to give, And I think what we're seeing is like it is as the Grand Slams too, are becoming more and more attractive to the playing group, and this has been the case now or a trend for five plus years. We're seeing more and more priority placed on being absolutely healthy and cherry ripe for day one of the Slams, which means it's becoming increasingly difficult for the other events in the tennis ecosystem to continue to exist with against that backdrop, because everyone wants to be right for day one of Rolling Girls. So somebody's got to give. Luke couldn't agree with a lot more. We've got to revamp the tennis calendar. It's not a new problem, but as of yet we yet to find the solution.
Speaker 1: Luke, what would be the dream scenario you think for players?
Speaker 6: I would say dream scenario would be almost finishing a couple weeks after the US Open. And I was saying this argument to someone and then they counter men said, oh, what about Asia?
Speaker 5: What about Europe?
Speaker 6: I said, well, there's always going to be tournaments there, Like you're only saying that it's because that's what we know the point, and I said, look, it's unlucky. I love the tornments in Asia, but something has to give, as you've been saying. And I think two and a half months, three months off, it's not crazy like that's still a nine month season. Forty as we know is six months. I think, you know, I'll use Alex Demonar as an example because I'm close to that scenario. But he plays to early December almost every year, and he's because he's got Davis Cup and the end of your finals last years, the top eight finals, and he comes out to Australia on about the twentieth or twenty first of December. He might have one week off, one week pre season, and then you're starting again. And not only to say or to mention, he's got the pressures of all January, you know, being the top Australian, all the pressure.
Speaker 5: On him the Cup. Yeah, you see, and then he's got so much pressure on the poor guy.
Speaker 6: So you know when he spoke about he was a little bit fatigued after Dubai this year, before nim Wells, you can completely see why. So I would think if you finished it end of September, give the players a couple weeks off, three weeks off, and then they have you know, November December to train.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if anyone's listening out there on the tour, we've got some suggestions.
Speaker 3: Exactly get him chart little nap at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Moving to you a yeah, well we're getting holy are we?
Speaker 3: Well a little bit but breaking news. The Pope, the earthly head of the Catholic Church, welcomed a sinner into the Vatican and sinner so he's living in sin with Yannick. Yeah, two Italians just having a chat. Of course, you know pictures up here and you can probably hear it on the pod. But yeah, Leo the fourteenth, the newly minted Pope, welcome the newly minted back on the field, Yannick Sinner. They swapped rackets, they had a chat. The first American Pope, Leo, first American Pope. Big tennis fan. He's a bit of an amateur player. There's actually a secret tennis court at the Vatican.
Speaker 1: I'm so into that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what surface is that?
Speaker 3: Holy water? And it's frozen so it's the first ice.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I think it was, do you know, Andy Clay, I feel like it was no the court he played on hard court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. We'll check that, we'll come.
Speaker 6: Back to you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he's been he's been a very keen tennis player, and so's so's Yanick. He's quite keen at the tennis. But I don't know, we reckon Yannick was there to kind of confess a few things or.
Speaker 6: Was a lengthy handshake, That's all I know. Yeah, I was waiting for one to let go and and questioning that grip that the pope was that wasn't no content and a little bit a little bit high up on the grip.
Speaker 3: So well, Leo, if you need some tips, hit up.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm looking to fill in a few weeks, so fly me in.
Speaker 1: He's actually cook quite an American accent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you forget about it. Literally walking here from Chicago.
Speaker 6: You guys see that video of Yanni going to serve when he was practicing, then he saw the Jets coming, he did he was going to throw the ball toss up, and then he saw the Jets with the colors with the that's cool going over and had a bit of a look.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he'll put that in the show notes, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It was really cool.
Speaker 3: That's what caught my eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: I made a little bit left to centerp but it's still sort of tennis related.
Speaker 1: It's really good done cool.
Speaker 2: We've got a couple other storylines from Rome. We have touched on Paolini quite a bit, but she's going strong. Could Paolini and Sinner win the men's and women's singles title?
Speaker 1: What do we think? Are we going to have an Italian off again?
Speaker 3: Like the fans have any to say about it? Yes, Hope has blessed it potentially, but what about in reality?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: I definitely think she's a chance and obviously plays so well on the on the clay Paolini and handling the home pressure quite well. And there are a couple other results in the men's that caught my eye and two guys that I think are a good sort of outside chances for the French Open, Ben Shelton losing six two six one first round, so I thought that was a bit of a surprise.
Speaker 5: And for Keena.
Speaker 6: Davidovich, who's been playing well as well. He's given Alex demon Are a few troubles. I think maybe beat him a few weeks ago. Also going down two and two. So a couple of surprising ones that caught my eye there. And it was their first round, but a second round because they had to buy Archie. So yeah, I feel like two guys who will both be seated at the French Open going down pretty convincingly there.
Speaker 5: I thought that was a little bit of a shock upset.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, we've spoken about the Paulini Sterns matchup being in my mind fifty to fifty and looks perhaps given the slight edge to Paulini there was good reason. So absolutely every chance she can find herself playing for the title. And as for Sinner, he comes up against Casperude. We know Rude's best surface by far, I think as the red clay. He's had his best results across his career on the surface, so that'll be a test for you. He owns the head to head there three to nothing, but this is the first time they'll meet on clay, so this will be a proper test for him in his first tournament back.
Speaker 2: The other one I ordered to call out massive friend. With the pod end of the Tom Marta and Alan Pez, they're into the women's double quarterfinals in Rome. Storm's only been back a couple of months after an achilles tear, and I just can't believe how well they are doing, and really hope that they make Nickney's steel.
Speaker 3: Now, no one's going to bust that one.
Speaker 1: But how good would it feel for Storm to be? You know, when did she go back Indian Wells Miami she started playing again.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she started off playing doubles there and then just before just speaking to the Hunter camp and it felt like they just wanted to ease her back in with some doubles and then on the clay where it's possibly a little bit easier on the body, starting to play some singles. So yeah, she struggled a little bit in her first few singles matches. Struggles maybe a bit harsh, she's gone down, but you know, after a year out of the sport and then coming back at the highest level of singles is very difficult. So I think she's finding her feet there in the singles and the great to see winning some doubles matches with Ellen Perez And I think, as Simon would also say, I feel like even when you're first coming back, wins in doubles is very very beneficial, just to get that confidence just get that winning feeling back and then you can sort of start the transition onto the singles court and then onto the grass, which she'll play great on.
Speaker 2: And they're due to play with other partners at Rolling and garret Us the Hunter's playing with Dollar Hyde and Perez is playing with Milli car Markets.
Speaker 1: Do I say that right? Oh my god, I'm getting better guys.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I wanted to call out is with Roland Garras around the corner, we have well, the French have announced the wild cards and excitingly Tristan's school Kate here from Australia and Destiny Aeva.
Speaker 1: Is two of those people from Ossie that will be going.
Speaker 3: So what's that process like? Like we publiclyven know what a wild card means and people get it, but when you hear about it, it must be crazy to like cire Us, I'm in and you didn't think you were going to be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well so they can probably speak to that better than I can. In terms of the process. You know, behind the scenes here that's the leadership team and from a player dev or a performance perspective here at tennis Australia would get together under Tim Jolly's leadership as the director of strategy and performance, and really these decisions are are nuanced, and they're in the margins and they're not easy to make that team Tim Paul Kildery. Typically the Davis and Billy Jinking Cup captains and the leadership teams get together and make those decisions. And as far as being on the receiving end of it, good, bad or ugly, Luke can probably explain the whole gamut of emotions there.
Speaker 3: At times good, you're not bad, a little bit ugly, but you'll be right.
Speaker 6: No, I've been through the roller coaster. I think, looking back on it, a wild card is you know, it's a privilege. It's it's one of those things where it's out of your control. It's you know, if you're not in the tournament on your ranking, you kind of don't deserve to be in the tournament. So if you get it, it's an absolute sort of blessing. You're lucky. So you can't read too much into it and think about a wild card. It can go to sort of anyone, and there's I guess there's sort of criterias. You can give it to older players that have maybe been top hundred and done a few more things in the sport on their way.
Speaker 3: Back and.
Speaker 1: And venus yeld card place.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, I think more importantly it's to those up and car up and coming players who need the opportunities, need the experiences. You know, they maybe knock on the door of the top hundred, and experiences like this will help them go to the next level.
Speaker 3: Pardon my ignorance. Has there been a wild Card Grand Slam champion?
Speaker 5: Yes? And it was.
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 5: Was it played? Raft raft?
Speaker 3: Donald pretty good said?
Speaker 2: Not bad?
Speaker 5: Well up there at the start.
Speaker 1: You actually.
Speaker 3: He's just smart, he is.
Speaker 5: It just was brilliant.
Speaker 3: Now Destiny was actually on our Sister show what she was she was.
Speaker 1: On the sit down? Should we take a look?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 3: What's it like playing the very cream of the crop in the game, And what's it like when you reflect on that you beat Sabolenka, who's now the world's dominant player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I still think about, you know, watching all the girls up there that I've played and known how well I've done, even against Rebeccna. I feel like when I play those quality players, I actually play better. So it's just a matter of getting there myself. Actually inside the top one hundred and being able to perform day and day out against those girls and actually play other quality players. So I can, you know, just keep testing my ability and yeah, and knowing that I do play well against those girls.
Speaker 7: It.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's one of the things that keeps me going because I see them, you know, playing the big tournaments that I want to play every single week, So you know, I think, yeah, that's definitely motivating for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back. We are spoiled to have experts like Simon Ray on the show today. So we're launching a new segment which means you're going to have to come back often.
Speaker 1: And what's it called?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 3: Simon says, but thank you for their thanks for help. They're producer boys. Lovely day. So Simon, what do you say, now, I won't do that bit you go back to do it? Simon, what do you say?
Speaker 1: Sound like a frog?
Speaker 3: And he looks like a frog.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not wearing what I say against that backdrop or that introduction, but what I'm what I'm thinking?
Speaker 3: He said, goodbye.
Speaker 7: The team asked me to articulate where we think Egishwontech's sitting with rolling Garros right around the corner, and where I think she's sitting is if I'm in the camp there, I'm emphasizing that you are the envy of every other player when you walk into the gates and Rolling Garriss a week from now. You're a four time Rolling Garrols champion, you're a five time major winner. You've had some hiccups that were unaccustomed to seeing from you on your clay court campaign in twenty twenty five. But do you want to look at this one or two ways? Do you want to take this recent form and some of these losses as a bit of a burden and something to be worried about and a little concerned about, or do you see this as a massive opportunity to kind of get back on the front foot and really thrive off that fear factor which I think she has as soon as she walks through the gates at Rolling Garrels, The fear factor that the rest of the competition experiences when they see you even in the venue, let alone come up against you, come up against you. So that's kind of the rhetoric or the storytelling, I guess, if you like, or some of the energy that I'd be trying to create if I was in the camp. That's what I say now taking a bit of a deeper look. Tracking back, look, we know one of the things that troubles Eager, and Luke would have a view on this as well. I'm sure if you can starve Eager of time and really play with weapons up in the court and threaten her with some weapons, it's not easy for her. She prefers if she could draw it up a little more time on the ball, which is why it plays her preferred surface any time to get that yeah right. She's another player that likes to use her forehand. Luke spoke previously about Peyton Sterns and the clay, the opportunity that allows her to get to a left and use her forehand as a weapon. If there is an Archilles' heel in her game, it's her second serve. It's not as easy to take advantage of the second serve on clay. But that's where I'd be focusing if I was in the camp, because some of the concerns are on her second serve numbers. So she's lost recently to Gough, to Ostapenko and to Collins. If we have a look at these matches, when she played Ostapenko in Stuttgart.
Speaker 5: She won thirty nine.
Speaker 7: Percent of her second serve points thirty nine percent against GoF She lost one on one, got beaten convincingly about forty percent of her second serve points, so points on her own second serve when she played Collins, and this is the one that did concern me a little bit because Osta Penco can take the racket out of your hands at times, so can Goff. Now that was more one sided than any of us would have been thinking Colins. I wouldn't have expected that to play out the way it did. She won just twenty two percent of her second serve points, and I had a deeper look last year, she's winning fifty five. Over the year as a whole, she wins fifty five percent of her second serve points. So when we're thinking thirty nine, forty and twenty two, we're a long way down on fifty five. This year as a whole so far, she's down in the mid forties. So her second serve we know it's an Achilles' heel for her. It's now starting to be exposed more than we've seen pre So I've told you what I'm saying. If I'm in the camp of eager, you know, in terms of the messaging that I'm trying to deliver going into rolling garrass. These are some of the things. Well, this is one area where the competition are trying to pick her off, so that'll be where the coaching team are focusing. There's the I guess, the emotional hook, and then there's the tactical stuff.
Speaker 5: So what have we got to do better?
Speaker 7: Maybe it's we've got to find more first serves, so the second serve is being exposed less. Maybe we've got to be bolder and more courageous and get after our second serve more often. And that's kind of I think sometimes those two things can be tied together. So you walk through the gates at Roland Garross, you this is your territory. Every other player is trying to knock you off here, and you've got the fear factor here. So let's believe in your kick serve again. Let's get that thing launching. Maybe it's back to basics. Let's keep it simple. Every second serve goes to the righty back end, and we back your execution to get it lifting and kicking and jumping on players. But let's do it with more viciousness than what we've been delivering it late of late how we've been delivering it of late. So that's how I see the Eggos Roon Tech game coming into Rolling Garrison, Bumps in the Road. Sure, still the Queen of Clay for me, it's still my favorite going into Rolling Girls.
Speaker 3: And that's what Simon said.
Speaker 5: How was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was intense and some of the numbers Yeah, well there was some big and there were some small. That was very good. Luke any thoughts.
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, she's definitely got that aura like sort of Raffa has when they walk through the gates and four time champion and playing her on shatrare definitely has that different feeling. So thing exactly what you said, trying to channel sort of that narrative to her if you're in the camp of Sweet Tech.
Speaker 5: So very interesting.
Speaker 6: Those second serve numbers definitely very down on previous, very concerning, and I think you know a lot of the women they don't want to get into sort of any baseline exchanges with her, right, So the second serve is, you know, sort of the first shot in the rally if you're the opponent, so you're trying to take it, you know, take advantage, trying to be aggressive. So I think that's definitely an area where they're trying to get at her, and it's proving that bit of a a sort of concerning area for her.
Speaker 5: At the moment.
Speaker 7: Let's get back to a strengths based approach, kicks of heaviness of the Foyan, physicality and movement and willingness and ability to defend on the surface. No one can get through you at this venue at Roland Garross. If the courts are lively. Sometimes in Paris we see thirty degrees and lively courts, sometimes we see ten.
Speaker 3: And it's always spooky when everyone there is wearing the same hats.
Speaker 1: Someone told me I need to buy one, and I was like, I will not be doing there work.
Speaker 7: I think I'm saying, o A. If the courts are lively, you can use your weapons to great effect. If the courts are playing a bit more dead and a bit more slip, then players can't get through you because of how good a defender you are, so you can come at it from any either way you want. Really, if you're in the coaching team and.
Speaker 3: Luke Egger's about to go to match call. Right now, you've got one sentence to yell out to her for her to listen. Go, that's an interesting choice.
Speaker 5: Back yourself. You've won this thing four times.
Speaker 3: But then unfortunately she's got those giant head phones on and she turned around again eager take the headphones off. Sage advice.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 6: You've won these four times, ten less than Rafa. It's still pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A ways to go before you get a statue out in the front.
Speaker 5: Yes, and she needs at least three more.
Speaker 1: Proper Let's roll into Ace of the week.
Speaker 3: Great, Well, anyone is still listening? No, over to you, Luke, how are you? I can go?
Speaker 6: I had the mum for Mother's Day come over from the other show this weekend, so the week great. Great to see her, my brother and his son. And because on the Thursday show said that we're going to win, ye, so we decided to go to that game. It was pretty boring because I knew the result going to win is bad, so yeah, was right normally yeah, exactly and then yeah, and then played a bit of tennis on Saturday, went to the blockbuster game Richmond and West Coast seveneenth and eighteenth.
Speaker 1: Believe Richmond one. But the one game I decided not to watch two points.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my little nephew, he likes Richmond. So it went to that one and then dropped in the airport Monday morning. So good, good to see them. They were ready to get back to the country where they see.
Speaker 3: It's a bit out here in the big city. Yes, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Footy matches for people who ain't used to being in large volumes of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they're probably used to watching footy from the back of the ute, not the top of the g Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we're in the Colton cheer squad. Really good fun, good win for Coton. Few injuries, but showed a lot of heart.
Speaker 5: So that's my ad.
Speaker 1: How about you.
Speaker 3: Well, I was planning to say, oh I finally got a haircut, but I didn't get a haircut.
Speaker 1: No, I can still see that weird curl at.
Speaker 3: This weird little ringlet happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like this weird flicky thing. Okay, you need a haircut.
Speaker 3: It's an audio product on tube. Oh yeah, to shame in it, so I'm gonna throw it out there. It was Mother's Day on the weekend and we put the boys and I put on a big day for their mum and we cooked a beautiful lunch. Everyone had fun and they gave her some gifts they made at kinder and at school.
Speaker 1: Did you pop them in the bin?
Speaker 3: I didn't. Let's just say they might be there now, dig cat maybe I love her? Yeah good, yeah, filing them away for the garbage man to find. No, but Mother's Day was great, So I shout out to all the mums out there that it was just really fun, fund good and I feel I have a haircut by this time next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's hope for our embrace.
Speaker 5: It and just go.
Speaker 3: Maybe you could go full early guys with job like lord, fuck what I was thinking? More like Karen? Can I speak to the managers? Style?
Speaker 1: That too intrue from Pathing campra.
Speaker 5: Into winter, So yeah, keep me wrong, grow the locks out, ponytail.
Speaker 3: Finally, we need to chat ept some of these hairstyles on you. Yeah, I'm that that's the afternoon Sworded. Yeah, if we do do that, they'll put them in the Simon.
Speaker 7: Mine's probably on a similar theme. Mother's Day were obviously a very special day for all mums and the kids. So my oldest to Charlie and Edie, I'm not a Cats fan, but they managed to their grandparents and cousins and they are all mad Cats fans living down in Geelong like we do, and so they managed to secure themselves a pass or a ticket to the Cat's game, which the Cats were. They didn't come out on the right side of the ledger of on this occasion, but it was still a great atmosphere for a youngster and just on Breeze she touched on the exact right note there where she said something about the overwhelming crowds. My daughter came with me to the game. That was the first time she's made it, but she didn't quite get to the start line. Just a little bit too many people, too much. It's a little bit too full on, so some had to come down and pick her up on the other side of the Saint Mary's there. But Charlie, I really enjoyed the day and we're really grateful for what Anna, their mom does for for us, for me and for all of us in our family.
Speaker 3: Absolutely love that.
Speaker 1: Well, my of the week is not to do with Mother's Day because I am not a mother.
Speaker 3: And what about your dog? And I am always about.
Speaker 1: A dog mum.
Speaker 2: But yeah, my parents are back home and Nui. But my ace of the week is that I hop on a plane on Tuesday evening to go to Paris for Roland Garrett.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which will be fun viva.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I won't be here next week.
Speaker 3: Even better, I know I've got a new the week. Guys, totally fair that you're going to be over there at the having stuggle.
Speaker 1: Cargo, understand me.
Speaker 2: No, So I'm looking forward to that, going over to do some stuff and figure out how the French do opening week, not figure out, but just speak exposed to their opening week, look at the media day stuff, do some meetings and yeah, see how Aussie's go get some content of out Aussies and qualities, which you know it's always hard for us over here to get content of our Australian players for our Tennis Australia platform. So very excited about that. And I will be hanging out with our ball kids who are in the Rolling Garras.
Speaker 3: Because we're sending some Aussie ball kids, two.
Speaker 2: Kids going over, so I will be doing some content with them, like day in the life and what it's like to work in the Roland Garross ball kids squad versus Io ball kids squad, So lots of fun things happening and I'm really looking forward to it.
Speaker 3: That's great. It's weird to think, like all these there's four Grand Slams, so we're the Australian Open. Like each one probably has like their version of a Brie, like their head of.
Speaker 1: His name's Manuel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he looks exactly like he's got a little mustache a little bit, always riding a bike with a bagout out the front. It's gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be great.
Speaker 5: Were you play caught one on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Were you playing now for it? Oh my god?
Speaker 5: Wondering who didn't bag the court?
Speaker 3: That's goods Yeah, prou Ryan.
Speaker 1: It's just there to get some kids to draw on acrossant on a whiteboard.
Speaker 3: Was here tennis while you going to the Homer clay so you better get that right when you're over there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I met the kids.
Speaker 2: I'm on a group chat with all our team, so I'm really looking forward to seeing how their experience is because imagine being fifteen, that'd be crazy and getting awarded this trip to go to Paris. And there's such lovely kids. All our bull kids are. I actually love our Bull Kids squad. But what just a special special thing to be able to do and one of them turned sixteen when they get over there are you going over Luke? Yeah great, I'll be able to see you guys, because I want to see get as much content of our Aussies to be really able to promote everyone and hopefully we go.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, really good. It's going to take it. I can feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we're all manifested.
Speaker 3: You've got his name written on you, Luke.
Speaker 5: Yes, shout out.
Speaker 1: Placement.
Speaker 6: Yeah, quarterfinals last year and as I said before, he could and sort of freshen up in this week leading up, and I think he's a real chance. He's been playing really well a solo clay court swing so far and I think he can definitely make a run.
Speaker 3: Well that might wrap us up journey. What I'm bray, gentlemen, cross from us.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being part of the show. Is always a pleasure to have you both. Look forward to seeing you soon in the coming weeks.
Speaker 1: I won't be here. I will be emparissed.
Speaker 3: I will be calling in that that's our audience sighing, I know, but I will be calling in. Oh that's right. We'll put you on the big screen.
Speaker 2: From Roland Garros with Duncan and a few others. Might get Bernie on as well to talk about how the Ausies are going. In the meantime, don't forget you can watch this episode and every other episode of the Tennis on YouTube channel straight and open a TV and while you there, be sure to hit the bell subscribe, stay across the Tennis all year round, and of course you can listen in your ears on any podcast provider you prefer.
Speaker 1: Thanks, team, have a great week and see you next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Troubles