Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Muney, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Today, my friends, it is Friday, which means I get to round up the team, which this week is only Miss Jessica Ricci. Hello, and we get to talk about our incredible She's on the Money community. Today, we're going to be sharing our favorite money wins. We don't have a broke tip because Beck has bailed on us. We're going to be answering a juicy money dilemma, which this week is all about pay parody for the same job, and we're going to be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about which this week is finance in a polyamorous relationship. But let's start off the podcast, Jessica by asking you how your week was.
Speaker 4: It's been a roller coaster this week. I've been identity thief, thefted, stolen. My identity is stolen on the audes Instagram, on Instagram, yet not like my credit card in fish or anything.
Speaker 2: Yet they're closed.
Speaker 4: Don't even put the juju out there. That's so stressful, But just a little posa to anybody. There is a really, really good fake account. They have stolen two months worth of my content, videos, posts, They've copied all of my.
Speaker 2: Story highlight, one thousand followers.
Speaker 4: They've copied the number of followers that I like. It is as good as a fake.
Speaker 2: Really similar, really and it is Jessica with two eyes instead of one. And you'll use a name. And what are they trying to do, jess Trying to get.
Speaker 4: People to buy crypto of all the things that they.
Speaker 2: Could do, I just and I feel like most of our community is smart enough to realize that that's not a thing, or that you've been hacked if they do think it's your real account. But I thought it was very funny because someone slid into my DMS earlier this week, Jess, and they were trying to do a little welfare check on you because they were like, hey, they I hope this is okay to message you, but I think justice going off the rails. Oh my gosh, she's trying to sell me crypto via DMS. And I had to be like, that's not yes. Like so if anybody in the she's on the money team, you think ever messages you, especially to purchase anything.
Speaker 4: We will never.
Speaker 2: We have never asked you to purchase anything in DMS. We are dming you. It's probably because we know each other. So I would be really wary of any account. I don't care who it is or where it is. If they are messaging you and you've had nothing to do with them before and then all of a sudden they're trying to introduce you to an opportunity, massive red flags.
Speaker 4: Be so skeptical. They're so sophisticated nowadays, And I feel like, even just choosing the two eyes in the username, You're like, because I thought it was you.
Speaker 2: Your eyes just skip over them you tried to scam me. You're like, you've tried to scam me, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like, sis, not today, let me teach you a thing or two about finance.
Speaker 2: I didn't lead them down the garden path, and I was like, wow, Jessica, that sounds so interesting. Please tell me more time. Can I wait until I got the link to the bitcoin sign up And essentially what they're trying to do is get you to buy bitcoin, then give them your login details so they can steal it.
Speaker 4: Oh my godness, So yeah, please be hereful. We would never ever ever do that. If you're feeling generous and would like to report the page, we've been trying really hard to get it taken down. Turns out that's really challenging to do. More people who report it, the better. But otherwise you can always dam mus and double check. All of our normal accounts are just our names, and yeah, all of our official accounts, Victoria's account and the shes and money accounts all verified, so also look out for that.
Speaker 2: I just don't have the time to scam you. I'm really sorry. Like, if that's ites, I'm so glad that you found the time. But like, she's a busy lady, I'm just gonna have to up your work, Cloath.
Speaker 4: How has your week been.
Speaker 2: It's been good. I mean I got scammed by Jessica Ricky and I got to watch the Matilda's So that's a ten out of ten week for me. Let's jump into our favorite part of the week, jess I want to know what have you pulled out of the community to be our money wins of the week.
Speaker 4: Okay, my first money win this week comes from Teresa who said money win. My partner didn't get a tax bills. The money we'd put aside for a potential bill we paid the equivalent to almost six payments off of our car loans. Say they got almost six months of interest over the course of the loan. Money win, money win. And it is that time where people getting tax refunds, so good reminder. Think about what you can do with it and where the buying that new pair of shoes is the right choice. It could be. I'm not saying it's not.
Speaker 2: I just think there's a lot going on online at the moment just about girl math, yes, and how that can be taken into consideration. And I think it's really funny because I can see both sides of the argument, right, I can see girl math makes sense, Like if I was gifted a gift card for a coffee shop, that's free money to me, that's free coffee. That's exactly how that works. But I think a lot of people are extending that thought and feeling to money that they hadn't expected to come in, like your tax return, and they might get an extra thousand dollars. And instead of putting yourself in a better financial position, what you're doing is girl mathing it away and going, oh, well, actually I'm going to spend this on a few dresses or I deserve XYZ without really thinking a future you. So girl math trend kind of funny because like we've all done it. But I also think it's really stereotyping women into not being good at money, not being smart at money, and like being like, oh my gosh, hahaha, women don't know what they're talking about. It's girl it makes sense because clearly it doesn't make sense. That's why we're saying it. We're laughing at ourselves. But hopefully we're laughing at ourselves because we know we're better than that. We know we're more intelligent. And I mean, I'm still going to pretend I am one of the most financially literate people. Jess, I'm she's on the money. You still give me a gift card with money on it? Free money? Yeah, relatable, But I think we need to have that level of financial literacy that goes well, actually, could this go to something else? Do I have a solid emergency fund? Am I in any personal debt? Maybe it could just be a little treaty treat and that's okay, Yeah, but I think we need to think about it before we actually dive in.
Speaker 4: It was really interesting. We put up a post on our Instagram this week about the girl math trend on TikTok Yeah, and we very purposely didn't really comment our opinion on it, yeah, because we wanted to see what happened in the comments.
Speaker 2: We were just waiting to see or were baiting you. And it was really.
Speaker 4: Interesting because it kind of lent one of two ways. There were people who took it, I guess really from a political social perspective and said, Hey, like I hate this. I feel like we're really demeaning women. I feel like it's making implying that women are stupid and don't know as much as men. And then there were people who were like, oh my god, I do this all the time. This is so me and it's really interesting to look at because I think, as you said, it's really we should be looking at somewhere in the middle, Like, I don't think these trends are harmful necessarily because they can be a really good way for us to recognize those trends and go, oh, that's me whenever I get my little gift card.
Speaker 2: I'm so good at mean spending. Yeah, you're enabling my dopamine spending by giving me a gift card.
Speaker 5: Hell yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things where go, okay, well, I'm fine saying yeah, like I've girl baths some things, and I'm comfortable using that term. But when it becomes this mass thing that people pile on to and it starts to get recontextualized or I guess adjusted, and those those additional social things get laid over the top. Yeah, and that's when you go, oh, like, is it making people feel bad because they're talking about something they're not smart?
Speaker 2: Just a funny concept that I think we can all relate to, and I mean, boy, Matt Jes, that exists one hundred percent of oly math exists. How do the groceries get in your cupboard? Steven? How much does a round of golf cost? Was not that much according to him. But when I looked some rounds of golf for like one hundred bucks, and I'm like, wow, wait what he's like?
Speaker 4: If I hit that ball a hundred times, that's a dollar a putt?
Speaker 2: Baby, what have you seen? My handy cub like, absolutely not. There's girl math and there's boy math. And I think it's just a way of saying, sometimes we justify spending to ourselves in frivolous ways, and that's okay, but I think that we do need to acknowledge that some people have taken it as a stereotyping of women, and that's not it.
Speaker 4: We're smarter than that. We're talking about it because we know agreed, agreed. Next money win that I have comes from Nikki, who said money win. I'm away on holidays at the moment and bought a travel ethim for fifty dollars, saving myself one hundred and fifty dollars in data rooming charges from Telstra.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: Got to look into that. If you're planning on traveling. Next, I've got Emily who said I am thirty one years old and for the first time in my profession life, I have just started catching the bus to work.
Speaker 2: Get it clean.
Speaker 4: I will save two hundred dollars a fortnight in parking and more in petrol and overall wear and tear on my car. And I wish I had done it sooner.
Speaker 2: I saw a video the other day guess where where TikTok, obviously because I live on TikTok, but it was a video talking about how developed countries seem to have mistaken independence and wealth for driving yourself to work, when in reality traffic could all be condensed down to three buses. I feel like small, like you know, or bikes or whatever. If we were smarter and is the hallmark of being a developed country, not being smarter about money and resources and making sure that they become more sustainable. So like catching the train really sexy? Yeah, like so smart, Like if you can definitely do it, catch the train, catch the tram, catch the bus. Public transport is incredible and I promise it's cheaper than driving. Oh absolutely, this economy.
Speaker 4: Economy, we got to save those pennies where we can Next, I've got a money win from Jasmine, who said, I've been on a job search recently and I applied for a position. Unfortunately I didn't get it. However, in their email to me letting me know that I wasn't successful, they snug a cheeky little discount in the email for me one hundred dollars for applying for a position that I wasn't successful for.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a bit of a money win. How random. Sorry you can't come here but still buy our stuff is how I saw that.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering if maybe she meant gift cards, like one hundred dollars fift.
Speaker 2: Card, that would actually be that's really sweet. If that's the case, that's what I'm thinking. I'm like, that's kind of cool, girl, mass that's free made.
Speaker 4: Next, I've got a money win from Caroline, who said I batch cooked twenty three meals and two lots of three. I'll be advertising more items for sale on various internet sides, and I'm hoping to reduce my mortgage by an additional ten thousand dollars by the thirty first of December twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Jessica, when you batch cook things, how many serves are you doing, because like my max is like eight.
Speaker 4: I Caroline, let us know what are you cooking?
Speaker 2: How many they sets of tupware do you own? We're rich, Yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Must have a huge freezer. And then lastly my money in and then my last money in for this week is from Rebecca, who said, money Win. I heard about the thing where you call your internet provider directly and asked for a better deal and was quite skeptical. Rebecca, I'm shocked and offended that you doubted us, she said, but hey, I figured the worst they could do.
Speaker 2: We say, no, exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm glad I tried, though, as I've ended up with a cheaper deal for the next six months.
Speaker 2: Money Win, Money Win.
Speaker 4: There's a ebook on our website get a better deal, a better deal.
Speaker 2: We think we know what we're talking about, and it turns out our community have only just caught up to backing us. That's all right, So that's very kind, but more of you should absolutely make use of that. All right, Jess, we don't have the bexbro tip and I don't think either of us could fake one. Well, so let's go to a really quick break and on the flip side, we're going to talk about pay parody for the same job, and we're also going to be answering a sneaky DM all about finances in a polyamorous relationship. So don't go anywhere, guys. Welcome back everybody.
Speaker 4: Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve. The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: Hi, She's on the Money. So let's say three people do exactly the same job I, who are one of the people, get paid thirty eight dollars power another gets paid forty six dollars an hour, and another fifty dollars an hour, and plot twist they got hired after me. How would you approach your boss with this information and ask for a raise match preferably to the fifty dollars of course, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, Jessica, I feel like you've got a spicy opinion and on this, what would you do?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd be calling somebody up, but I'd be saying this is absolutely not good enough. It's hard to navigate though, because I suppose you need to have a look at is there a pay secrecy clause in your contract? Just reminding people that that is, unfortunately still a thing in some places if it was pre existing.
Speaker 2: If it was pre existing, it can still be enforced, but it's illegal for new contracts. I think a lot of people are assuming that because it was made illegal, then it null and voids their current contract, which unfortunately it does not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: So obviously, I'm assuming you've found this out because you've had a chat with some of your teammates about what you should be doing. We love to see it all about that. Obviously, the difference between thirty six dollars and the difference between fifty dollars is astronomical.
Speaker 2: I did the math. Of course, you did a math, be so hypothetically because I'm assuming you're probably in like a casual or a part time role, which is fine. I've just decided to pretend for the example, i suppose that all of these are full time roles. So if you were earning thirty eight dollars an hour, you would be on fifty eight thousand dollars a year if we annualize that into a full time role. If you're on forty six dollars an hour, you're on sixty nine thousand dollars a year. And if you're on fifty dollars an hour, you're on seventy four thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 4: Jessica, that's a huge difference from bottom to the top.
Speaker 2: Jess annualize that's a difference of sixteen thousand dollars for doing the exact same job.
Speaker 4: Correct. And So I guess the thing that I would be doing is approaching your manager or your HR department or whatever is relevant to your employment situation. And I would honestly be putting the numbers on the table, and I would be comparing any responsibilities that you have as compared to your coworkers, saying, hey, like I do x Y and ZED, Joe does x y and Z, Sally does x Y and Z, why are we being paid differently? Because if your role responsibilities are the same, regardless of experience and things, it shouldn't make that much of a difference. The only time experience or time with the company really should come into play is if within those roles you have different levels of responsibility. Like if I'm only looking after two tasks and Joe's looking after four, then maybe it makes sense for Joe to be earning more than me. But otherwise, if we're all doing the same thing, I don't see any good reason for someone to be bated a much.
Speaker 2: Especially in the situation that you've given us, because the way you've said I earn thirty eight dollars an hour makes me think that it is more of a casual slash part time role. It's not like, oh, Jess and I are both full time, but Jess has been working in the industry ten more years and she's actually super efficient. Same roles, but super efficient gets way more done than you know Victoria does, which makes sense. And you know, HI could definitely talk their way out of that and go, well, Jess, I see that maybe you've been talking to them, but like their experience really comes into play, and those are open ones conversations you should be having with your employer anyway to go, well, you know, what would it take for me to get there? Then how does that work? But it's a kick in the guts to be finding out that the people that I'm assuming started after you and you try are now making more than you. If so, why?
Speaker 4: When? Where?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: I want to know all of that. I think the conversation from my perspective would actually start around pay parity and going all right, well, let's pretend Jess is my boss. Jess, do we have pay parity or cross rolls? What does that mean? How does that work? How do you manage that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Is pay parody something that's important? And they might go, oh, yes, they'll know where you're going with the conversation, but I think it really is. It's a touchy conversation, and if you're going to have it, I think you need to go into it as educated as possible. So, Jess, if you're walking in the door and you're saying, well, I found out that Victoria owns more, well that's great, but could we have a look at what the industry average is because you might all be being underpaid. And if you're going to go into that for yourself, we need to go into that for the whole hog. Right, We need to make sure that maybe they're taking advantage of all of you. Yes, one's being paid even more, but like, let's have a look at what the hourly freelance rate is, Let's have a look at what on average people make in this role, just to make sure you're advocating for yourself properly. So go do your research, find out, and then have that conversation once you've worked out all of that information, because it's much harder to say no when cold, hard facts are being put on the table.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. It's interesting as well that the newest employee is the one earning the most. And it probably comes back to that conversation we've had before about job hopping, and I know that we have an episode I believe coming up on that topic in the next couple of weeks, and the fact that often you can increase your salary by going somewhere else. And it's just more of a reason that even if you're not leaving your job, you need to be reviewing your salary with your managers internally, because it might just be that you came in and you said, okay, I want sixty thousand, and your boss said okay, no problems, and then the next person came in and said, oh, I want eighty thousand, and the boss said, okay, no problems. And theoretically, if they were looking after pay parity and if they were an equitable employer, they would be making sure that everyone was brought in. You know, maybe the person on sixty thousand was brought up to meet the person on eighty thousand. But unfortunately a lot of places don't do that and they just go, oh, sixty thousand, bloody bargain.
Speaker 2: Exactly, That's all she asked for. So I agreed.
Speaker 4: She's happy. I gave her what she wanted. I'm happy, I'm under budget. Everybody's happy until they start talking.
Speaker 2: So it also is I think employees have a lot of audacity and assuming that you won't talk about your hourly, right, we've got nothing else to talk about, bab Yeah, how much do you earn?
Speaker 4: Prove them wrong?
Speaker 2: What are you putting your super?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh that looks expensive? Would you buy that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: My Facebook marketplace? Girl? Like, we're all talking about money nowadays, guys watch out. So I think it's really important to just one advocate yourself, do your own research first. Don't take it personally either, because it could have just been a hiring decision, not immediately because they thought that they were better. But maybe times were a bit more desperate. You might have been with the organization for a couple of years and it was much easier hiring you, and now all of a sudden there's like one or two candidates applying, and the candidates that are applying are asking for ninety grand a year, and they're like, oh, far out, well, we're going to miss out on this candidate and that role isn't do you know what? Just offer them fifty bucks an hour and we'll see what happens. And then they said yes, And that might be how they landed there. Is it okay? Absolutely not, But it might not have been conscious. They might not have been going, oh, I hope that Jess is okay with this, or I hope the rest of the staff are being treated equitably. But maybe it was an honest overlook where maybe a different manager hired you versus you know, HR might have gone in and hired someone else's The business has grown, so I think it's I mean, we always make sure that we dot all our eyes and cross all our teas, but I think that there's something really beautiful about expecting the best from people, and it's going into that conversation not assuming that they're taking advantage of you, but going maybe they just don't know that this has come up. Maybe they just don't know. And that's, from my perspective, a kinder way to approach it, because it also downplays your anger, like you should be mad. I totally get that, but like, let's take a step back and not be angry, let's not be upset. It's actually just pragmatically work out what the hell is going on? Jeh, yes, and then we can go from there if your boss doesn't want to talk about it. Babe, we're angry now, Yeah, we are mad, and you know what, we're probably leaving and finding a place that pays us sixty dollars an hour. So catch you because I now have all this experience and look I trained those stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good luck without me, see you bye. All right. Should we take a little swing around because I have some questions about this week's community dilemma?
Speaker 2: I have some questions about your segue. Should we swing around? Oh my god, that was really good. You know what, we're leaving that in let's jump into it. This week's community dilemma goes a bit like this. I'm in a polyamorous relationship and my main partner and I split everything, but he is currently seeing someone who has just lost her job and is paying for more things now they're in a relationship. I'm not jealous of their relationship in any way, but I'm getting a little bit frustrated as it's now affecting our budget. I'm not too sure how many people are actually in this situation, but I was wondering if you girls had any thoughts on how I should approach this issue.
Speaker 4: Can I start off with a dumb question?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not mean this thing around thing.
Speaker 4: I had an idea. I'm not one hundred percent across what a polyamorous relationship is, and I feel like my response is going to be dependent on what it is, So can you explain it to me?
Speaker 2: I think it's a good question because it's not the experience of lots of people right like you might have heard of it, and there's lots of things going on. But essentially I googled it, polyamory or to be polyamorous means that you are engaging in a form of ethical and consensual non monogamy. That involves having romantic or sexual partners with multiple partners at the same time. So from my understanding, this means, Jess, you could be dating James and you could also be dating me, But that doesn't mean that I'm dating James. But you have two partners, yes, and it could go in any way that you want it to go. You could have multiple partners, you could do whatever you want. But the most important thing here is that it's completely consensual. They're being adults choosing how they want to run their lives and run their relationships. And I think you and I were talking about this before. This is a legit question. I feel like it's really legit because you know what, if I was in that circumstance and my partner was spending our budget that I had allocated for like our first home or whatever, on something else that's not aligned to my values, I'd be like, Okay, well what's going on. We need to talk about it. But guys, sit down with the judgment. This is not the community for that. She's on the money, except literally anyone exactly how you are. And if you tell me that you're in a consensual relationship, I'm all for it. I don't care who, with, what, when, where, or how. That is none of my business. If you are happy, you are thriving, you have a relationship where you are completely in control. Ten out of ten. Yeah, so I feel like some of you needed that reminder because we're not rude.
Speaker 4: Before we jumped into it. Out of ten, but.
Speaker 2: Yess, what would you do?
Speaker 4: It's hard enough to budget for one person or two people if or in I suppose a traditional couple. I can't imagine how complex it would be when you start adding additional people in particularly if you are like in this situation, they're obviously spending money together in multiple partnerships, which is such a level of complexity. And that's why I asked the question, because my thought is, if the example you gave, so, I'm dating you and I'm also dating James.
Speaker 2: You lucky, lucky lady.
Speaker 4: What a good life I'm living. But in that scenario, to me, the finances operate independently, like my budget with Victoria and my budget with James operate as true separate entities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 4: It's not as if we're all three of us budgeting together with shared finances, because from what I understand, you're not dating James as well, so like you guys are sharing finances, but we are, and so it's kind of hard because really, any person who's dating multiple people and committing financially with multiple people, you have to budget your budget always.
Speaker 2: I just got lots of questions, like, you know, you and James have been together for years and years. I've just come on the scene. Yeah, why am I now James's or your responsibility? Like why is that the case? Like how serious is this relationship? And you know, it could be super serious, it could be really casual. But I think that that needs definition as well as to how you know, if you say dating, like, I don't know, it was a period of my life where I would have said I was dating multiple people Jessicah, Yeah, yeah, I don't know what the difference between dating and in a you know, committed relationship looks like in that circumstance, have they known each other for three weeks and they're just like, you know, full and head over heels and they're you know, in that love bubble and he's now funding her life?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And how do your goals, I guess, your long term goals, how do they align with each of those relationships, because James and I want to buy a house, so you know, we're obviously budgeting for that. But at some point are you and I going to want to buy a house, And if so, how are you defining or allocating your finance to achieve both of those goals, because that's a really hard thing to do.
Speaker 2: Do you think that there would be a delineation between a shared cost and a personal cost? And maybe there should be in this style of budget, you know, we break it up and then you've got your food, fuel, and fun account Jess, and I've got mine, and the fun part should be your spending on your other partner because obviously there's probably something in the budget around you know, going on dates and stuff, because like we might have our date budget Jess, where you know we go, okay, well we can spend two hundred dollars a month on going out for nice dinners or whatever. But then I'm assuming there's a separate budget so that you can go on dates with other people, which would make sense. But what does that budget look like? How have you allocated that and what are your values around how much that is? Yeah, I think it's worthy of a deeper conversation with your partner, and obviously that's a bit of a hard one because your partner would want to really help their new partner as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, And it's like in this situation, I guess the way that my brain is rationalizing it, and I don't know that this is the case because I've never been in one of these relationships that is there like a primary relationship and a secondary day yes, all equal, because that would again impact how you do your finances. It's very complex. But our listener who wrote in did actually ask less about how they budget and how they should approach it, which I feel like is something we can talk about.
Speaker 2: That's true. I think when it comes to any money conversation, I think the most important thing is giving your partner warning that you want to have a conversation about finances. Obviously this is a topic that could be a little bit icky, So going, hey, JS, I really want to go through our budget. I know that you're probably not in the mind frame right now because you're just making your week bigs. But do you think that later tonight we could sit down, or later this week we could sit down and have a chat and I might go, oh, whoa, what's prompted that just be like, oh my gosh, I just feel like, how Bud just getting a bit out of control, or I've just noticed you spending a lot more than I am, or you know, define it however you want, but planned enough of a seeds so they have reflection time so that they come to that conversation as prepared as you are, because right now you've trusted us with this question, which is so kind. But you've trusted us, You've had the thought to message us, You've had a lot of reflection time, you've probably had this whole podcast to talk about it before you're having this conversation with your partner. He might not see a problem. He might not have even had that on his radar and doesn't want to be side railed by it. So I think it's really important to yeah, hey, Jess, can we sit down and chat about it? And you know what the hell? Like, where did that come from? No worries, but at least you've given them enough notice, and then when you do sit down, really reiterate how comfortable you are with the relationship. Or that's what I would do, Just be like, oh, I don't see this as an issue between you and X, Like, I've got absolutely no problem with that, but just starting to stress a bit because we've got all these financial goals and I'm just wondering if you've thought about how this might impact our goal setting. Yeah, and I think that that's where if you've chosen this type of relation relationship, I'm assuming that stuff like this does come up. Do you and your partner now need to sit down and just realign some of your goals so that you can both live your best lives Because Jess, if I lost my job in my relationship with my husband, well I'd have to reset my goals because right now I need a bit more support. And maybe that's the way we should be seeing this. Your partner actually needs a bit more support because their partner does, and that's just the way it's going to work. But we do need to have open, honest conversation about how that works and what that actually looks like, because there's no normal right, Like, there's no normal budget, there's no normal relationship, there's no right or wrong. I think it's just more Jesse, you happy with what's going on right now. Our listener isn't happy with what's going on and needs to talk about it, but often communication is the key. Maybe they've got a new job and your partner hasn't told you that yet. Maybe something has popped up and they're getting a lot more support. Maybe you know they're taking some time off and reassessing their goals and they're going to move into a shouse, like we don't know what that looks like. So I think opening the conversation, but letting them know you want to open that conversation is really important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, clarity is key. What did everybody say outside of some of the slightly judgmental comments.
Speaker 2: Oh, I just blocked in deleted those people. So that's fine. So some people said, allocate pocket money for you to use on things solely for one partner like their girlfriend. Someone said, I think him supporting his other partner would be seen as a gift and not a shared cost. Someone said this is tricky. I honestly have no idea, but I can't wait to listen to the pod.
Speaker 4: I hope you enjoyed.
Speaker 2: Someone said, you just need an honest conversation about splitting costs with other partners. So it's fair both ways. This could happen to you.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a very good point, is there exactly. You could be on the other foot and then you're seeing somebody else and then a youth committing financially so exactly.
Speaker 2: Someone said, you shouldn't be using money from the primary budget for the other partner. Your partner should be using his own fun money for this. Someone said, I wouldn't be okay with this impacting on my budget, And yeah, I think everybody was, as I guess, pragmatic as we are about just have a conversation, work it out. You know, you could be in this circumstance because what goes around comes around. I'm assuming that you might be in a similar circumstance and might want a little bit more grace. At some point, someone else said, we really need some more information, like how long have they been dating? That's what I asked. I just feel like, you know, what if you found out, Jess that they've been dating for five years on the side, Yeah, to me, that's a different relationship and a different level of commitment that you've got to that person. So I don't know. I just feel like having open, honest conversation is going to be the best way forward, and you can never go wrong with that, especially if you approach it from a position of kindness and not judgment, but more frustration. Yeah, Like you're not approaching it from a position of frustration where you go, oh my god, Jess, I'm so annoyed that you're spending all this money on this other person and I just can't believe it. Like that's not going to go down well for anybody. Yeah, so I think talking about your feelings is just going I just feel like I'm not completely across this, Like, what's going on? How long might this last? Because you might find out it's only going to last another two weeks and you might go, it's not even worth having the conversation now. Yeah, so open honest conversations always.
Speaker 4: I love that. A perfect place to leave it.
Speaker 2: All right, I think we're all done. We can wrap this up just goo Ricci. I'm sorry Beck's not here because I feel like she would have had some really good conversation or really good points agreed to add. But we can just ask her offline. That's all right, you guys miss out. Sorry, we will see you next week for an episode of Money Diaries on Monday. But till then, have the best weekend, and we love you lots.
Speaker 4: Goomtelda's who.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do used to buy a financial.
Speaker 6: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 2: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sherper P T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight afs L four five one two eight nine