Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Matt Trolope, a writer for ozopen dot com.
Speaker 2: And I'm Viv Christian, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and.
Speaker 1: Viv why are we sitting down this week with Alex Michelson.
Speaker 2: We're sitting down with Alex Matt because he has had a fantastic season in twenty twenty four. He's reached two ATP finals, cracked the world's top fifty and he's one of the eight young players competing in the ATP next Gen Finals this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we were lucky enough to catch Alex just a few weeks before he headed off to Jedda. We got him when he was in a training week in California and we got to meet someone who was He was a great talker, he had a really good story, he was really generous with his time, and yeah, we really enjoyed it and learned a lot about him. So we hope you guys do enjoy it too.
Speaker 2: Alex, thank you for joining us on the sit Down. It's great that you're joining us so I think from your home in California, it must be nice to have a week or so off from the tour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, did.
Speaker 4: Okay in the last term and over it METS and then I took about ten days off and yeah today it has been today's my second day back training. So I had to get going pretty quick again because I got to go to Saudi Arabia pretty soon, so I had to uh had to get started quickly.
Speaker 2: It's been an incredible season for you. You've peaked just outside the top forty and I think you're currently sitting at number forty two. What's been the highlight for you this year.
Speaker 4: It's been a good season, a lot of a lot of ups and downs. I know that's a very cliche thing to say, but I mean at the clay the clay season, I barely wont any matches.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was tough for me. Even in the grass season, which I like grass, I didn't do great. And then I came back over to America Final than Newport. That was that was a highlight. Defending my points and highlighting defending my points. And finally was because I final Master as well, so that that was that was really good for the confidence as well. And then I kind of took that had a great American summer record, DC got the finals of doubles and Sincy. That was a lot of fun. Yeah, I think just the whole American swing for me was was was great. I was in Europe for three months, so coming back home and playing, playing in front of the home crowd was nice to do for a while for sure.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 1: And so as you said, you're about to head to jet Up for the next Gen Final. So this is the second time you're going, but you, I guess, arrive in a bit of a different place in your career where it was all new last year and you were just inside the top hundred. Now you're where you are and you'll be the second set. So yeah, what does it mean to qualify for that again? And what will you take into into this experience?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, well we'll obvious hit the experience of playing last year. It's going to help me out this year because last year I was you, I just turned prone like August, and it all kind of came very quickly at me and I wasn't ready to perform at a stage like that. And I think now you know, got a whole year of experience, well a whole year like on the main tour to use this experience, and when I go to Saturday with this year, so I can only do better. I went owing through last year. I can only do better this time around. So I'm really looking forward to going back and giving it my all. I have some unfitished busits over there for sure.
Speaker 1: Awesome, and it's got a pretty impressing on a roll of champions. So like Sinner El Karez sits a pass, they've all won it before. What would it mean for you for you to join them potentially.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be He'll be absolutely epic. I mean, those guys are all stick at tennis. I mean that would be awesome. If I got to put my name on that list with them, that would be That means I'm doing something right. So I think that would just the opposode on honor if I can to put my name on that list.
Speaker 1: It's also pretty amazing the names that are kind of around you on the Race to Jedda, so that you know the twenty one and under list. It's led by Art Fees and there's also Yaka Mensig, Jerry Shang Lernati and Luca n ash Dua Fonseca like and you, that's a pretty cool crop of players that have gotten lots of fans excited.
Speaker 5: What do you think of this current generation that you're coming up with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean everyone you said is is very good.
Speaker 4: I haven't played Fees yet, but obviously I think he's what a couple of five hundreds of series playing sick. I played Mensik and Jerry I played him in junior's actually and on the I haven't played Mensik on the main con tour, but I've played. I've played them both in juniors plenty of times when they were very, very good.
Speaker 3: And then I just train. I train with Murner.
Speaker 4: I just got done training with them Urdier today, So you know that'll be that'll be fun to play that and play that. But that'll be interesting if we get to play each other, so well, we'll see. But yeah, I'm super happy he did that. He's doing great as well. You know, he's very close friend for me, so to see him doing great is amazing. And then fan Seca absolutely waxed me in Madrid stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know you can play. So I mean, he's gonna be He's gonna be sick.
Speaker 4: He rids me of like a like a mini sitter, like he the way he hits the ball is kind of the say I put them both. The way they hit the ball is just you don't. You don't come by that very often. So yeah, I mean this, uh, this group of this group of guys is.
Speaker 3: Uh is good.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be tough to to do well this year, for sure, but I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Do you see that group of players as your main rivals or are you looking at like other people to like compare yourself against all that you're targeting like a good record against. So I'm not sure how you approach that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't really think of like two many people as my rivals just because I haven't played too many people more than like twice, you know. I mean, I guess you could say to my arrivals just because we're close in age, and I'll probably be seeing plenty of these guys for the next ten years, and I'll probably play them all, you know, I'll probably play.
Speaker 3: Them all like seven times at least.
Speaker 4: So I mean I think now, no, but I think in the future that plenty of them will be my rivals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, cool, Alex.
Speaker 2: It's obviously a pretty exciting time for American tennis right now. Are you close to to many of the other American players on.
Speaker 4: Tour, Well, yeah, I would say so. I mean closer with them than anyone else. You know, Fritz is also from Sokow, so I, you know, hit with them a little bit when I was like when I was a kid and say, just being around I was really cool. And now I was four in the world, which is which is amazing. I'm glad he's doing so good. And then I'm definitely I played doubles with a bunch of very like Corda and Mackie. Those guys are great that they're all also again and you got Ben who is playing great. You got tommyho's playing great, you got Francis. All those guys are kind of knocking on the door for for top ten. They're all like the top fifteen. So I think we're our depth is very good right now as well. We got someone in the top five and we have very good depth. I'm like the sixth ranks American need and I'm forty two in the world. That's not too bad. I think American tennis is doing great right now.
Speaker 2: There's actually five men in the world's top twenty five. Five American men. I should say, how inspiring is that for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean to see all those guys, you know, all of my so Americans doing that great, I mean, shows I can do it too, right' That's kind of the whole point of seeing someone from your country or your area, you know they do that well and you kind of look at that and draw inspiration from that.
Speaker 3: I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of American tennis, you're currently coached by Robbie Janeprie, I believe. So what is that like and what's he brought to your game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, just to be able to draw, you know, from someone else's experience. I mean he sent me with us open once and he got to I think fourteen or fifteen in the world. So be able to draw from experience from someone like that is great. And we've worked on, you know, becoming a little more offensive because I'm a pretty big guy. On like, I gotta gotta play I feel like I move okay and I can play defense good, but I definitely need to improve in the offense because I'm a big guy and I need to I need to play some more offense. And he's been helping me with that, and yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 3: I've done. I've done pretty well with him, so I'm excited. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has that come naturally, that kind of change where you're like forcing yourself to be offensive where you're maybe your instinct is to be a bit more defensive.
Speaker 4: I mean, I definitely have to think about it, you know, just you know, consciously think about it all the time. At least That's what I've been trying to do in practice the last couple of days and you know, months. But I feel like sometimes I'm I can drop back behind the baseline really easily and just like make a lot of balls and against the guy, like the top guys, it doesn't work because they can all, you know, hammer you for that. So I think just knowing that and being able to, you know, play offense, and I feel like I can play offense pretty good, it comes naturally. I just I just I feel like a defense comes a little more naturally. So I think just just having that offensive mindset is the most important thing.
Speaker 5: We've got options, which is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In terms of how you actually got started in tennis, so we understand that both of your parents played college tennis. Is that kind of how you got introduced to the sport and.
Speaker 5: It is what you are to die.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I actually don't remember starting to I was like three years old, like, and my parents that kind of gave me your racket. And I was sitting backhands in the garage. All I want to do is sit back ends entirely, which that's still what I want to do, is sit back ends. But yeah, so I was doing that until I was like six years old, and then of mom was like, all right, like we got to start into four ends and I was like.
Speaker 3: No, but yeah, I hit with him.
Speaker 4: My mom a lot if I didn't, you know, I ate with her like four or five times a week. She she was She made a lot of balls and we hit a lot of balls, and that definitely gave me a great date for where I'm at right now. I definitely wouldn't be here without without her. My dad helped you, but he was working, so I didn't, you know, play as much with as much as I did with my mom. But my parents helped me out tremendously. And there's not a chance I'd be here without them because they always introduced it and train me when I was younger. So I mean, there's no way I would be here without them.
Speaker 1: And you also considered potentially the college route yourself. But as you said, you turned pro relatively recently, so what you know that that's a decision that a lot of players have to grapple with, and there's you know, bene pros and cons to both.
Speaker 5: Where how did you land where you landed?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well the decision I kind of made it to where it was impossible to go to college. So last year I was I started the year at six hundred and I was, you know, obviously still supposed to go to college.
Speaker 3: And then July rules around, I'm like two fifty, and.
Speaker 4: Then I win the Slander in Chicago and then Final Newport, and then I was one forty and I had a card at a walk current of the US Open. So at that point I was a no brainer to turn pro. And you know, that's what I wanted to do, really about it. I'm not a big school day, so kind of clor got in and to go to school, obviously, I think college house. We've been up blast that team environment sounds sounds amazing, But yeah, going on tours, you know, it's always like a child that dreamed I never really thought would become true. It was never in the cards for you growing up at all. I wasn't like one of these amazing players. So I think just being able to experience all this is just an absolute dream come true.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 1: We read a really interesting piece It was about this time last year in tennis dot com by Joel Drucker, and so I think he spent a bit of time in California with you, watching you train. He mentioned that you hit with Lerner a lot, and one of your coaches described your game as jumbled, which was an interesting terminology. But yeah, I guess it sounds like it's kind of evolved in the twelve months since then, so kind of yeah, and you alluded to it was a bit of a blend of offense and defense. How would you describe your game for someone that actually hasn't seen you play tennis?
Speaker 5: And maybe have you like modeled it after someone?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I modeled that for anyone, But I mean a year ago, my game was definitely jumbled. I like I was like six ' four, My stur was not good. My foreh end was like average, and like back it was like.
Speaker 3: Really good and like I.
Speaker 4: Just I had it was kind of all over the place with in terms of like how good you know, certain things were, and I feel like I've leveled it out and I've got a lot of things better. But I think I would describe my game as like all core game. I feel like I can do everything. I can come to the net, I can play offense, play defense. You know, I feel like I can. I can kind of do it all. I just need to improve, you know, all all the aspects. But I feel like I can.
Speaker 3: I can do it. I would say I have an aw core game.
Speaker 1: And we also read that in the last year you've all you've grown an extra ine, which you know, what, what does that mean. I'm not sure if that's true, but you said you were six four maybe yeah, but I mean that does create an adjustment if you're dealing with like, you know, longer levers or bigger heart or whatever, when you you know, a year or two ago, you weren't so like, Yeah, what is that kind of adjustment being like and what's it? What's the advantage of being one of the bigger guys on tour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I've always had pretty long levers. I think, you know, that helps a lot with one thing. I think and helps a lot with is return, I can just get my racking on more balls where you know, other guys maybe couldn't because their arms are as long like I have very long arms, which which which helps.
Speaker 3: It helps me out a lot. It helps Then the doubles cord too, That's one of those that I think, I look kay devils.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's definitely it's definitely tough to move when you're you know, six three six four. But I feel like I've always had pretty long levers, so I I've I wasn't there, you know, like short, and then all the stuff grew. So I feel like I've gotten used to, you know, and running around and bringing with the with the long arms and lovelake. So that hasn't been like a big justine for me, but I haven't sorry.
Speaker 3: I have been working on my movement a lot un the last year.
Speaker 1: Okay, and your autols listed this guy on one face and so we just wanted, what what do you love about his game?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, the guy is one of the best athletes ever play TENNA. I mean the guy's so quick and jumps so high. I mean, it was always it was always fun to watch him playing like growning out. That was just like whenever he's on tee, I would like stop doing my homework or whatever it was, and like I'd stay up laid to watch and it was just absolutely sick. And then I got to meet him, and like I've here with him a couple of times. It's just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was my definitely my favorite to watch for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, does he know that? Have you told him?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I'm a little tighter.
Speaker 4: I I definitely have to tell him because I don't know how long he's got He's like thirty seven and thirty eight.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much lawer he's got left, So I gotta I definitely have to tell him that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also you alluded to before that you know, it's a dream come true being on the Pro Tour and this is an amazing opportunity for you. But I guess when new players come onto the tour it's an adjustment, Like it's it's a grind and it's a long season and all of that. So how have you kind of juggled that? What do you love about it? What have you found challenging or has it mostly been great?
Speaker 3: It's been pretty good.
Speaker 4: I'd say the most challenging part was the clay season in Europe, just because I'm from the US and we don't really have any clay, and especially in southern California, we got no clay out here.
Speaker 3: It's too dry to have clay.
Speaker 4: So I never, you know, played on a growing up, and then I went to Europe and I won like three match, three or four matches in the span of like two and a half months.
Speaker 3: So that was mentally tough. But I like traveling, I like I.
Speaker 4: Like, I like putting into hard work when I'm when I'm out events, even with like I would lose early and I'd be with my finished train the next couple of days, just absolutely grinding, and I enjoyed that. I think that was a great growth period for me, both physically and mentally. But yeah, I love the I love the tour. It's it's it's a lot of fun. I like traveling and seeing the world and something I thought I would do, so yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Cool. You've already made three ATP finals and in such a young career. You must be incredibly proud of that achievement.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got three before I turned folio. I was that was that was pretty sick.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I never in a million years did I think that would happen. But yeah, I'm very proud of myself. I've put in a lot of hard work in a lot, especially the last like four years. I didn't take tennis like I mean, it's like a seriously, but I never, you know, like considered this route until like, you know, probably three years ago when I when I figured that maybe I could do this, and.
Speaker 3: I started working really hard about four years ago.
Speaker 4: So just to just knowing all the work I put in, you know, behind the scenes, like when no one's really seeing and knowing that and making a couple.
Speaker 3: Of finals is just yeah, it feels. It feels great.
Speaker 2: Two of those three finals have come on grass at Newport, and you also had success in the Wimbledon Boys doubles event a couple of years ago. What is it about grass that brings out your best game?
Speaker 4: Well, I think it helps my serve out a little more, because my serve, especially end of years, was not good. But the grass definitely make it, you know, shoot through the core a little more and that helps you out. And I feel like I returned pretty well. So I feel like I can get looks on return. And then also my serve is not coming back as much because it's on grass, so that's great. And also I feel like, especially in Newport, like my backhand just would like doesn't come off the ground, and I feel like it's it's tough for guys to it was tough for guys to manage managers out there, and I also played the greatest.
Speaker 3: I love Newports. It's a great place. So I think, yeah, I'm actually really bad at they're getting rid of that. I don't know what I'm gonna do, but but yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely sick and yeah, I'm glad I can make the final in the last two times it had it that.
Speaker 2: Wimbledon final a couple of years ago. Did that change the course of your career at all, which is how you felt about the future.
Speaker 4: Not really just because it was doubles, It wasn't like I mean like that was like the best one one in my life because that was one of my best friends.
Speaker 3: I grew up with him here in so cal Uh.
Speaker 4: Playing winning with cords and that was an unbelievable time I could I wish I could go back and relive that we saved mass points in the semis like we're just absolutely just start. That was like the happiest ever been after winning a test term and also it's Wimberlin like it was. It was absolutely awesome. But I don't think it changed the course of my, like, you know, my career because just because it was doubles and like I lost first round of singles that that I wasn't you know, doing great and singles. And I don't think it changed changed too much.
Speaker 3: It definitely gave me a little more like a little more confidence though, and I think that.
Speaker 2: Helps for sure. Well, speaking of confidence, this here, you've had wins over four top twenty players. There's been Alex Deminor Taylor, Fritz Stefano sits a pass and he be her cats. Was was one of those your biggest win? Or do you remember one of those as your best win?
Speaker 4: When I played Demonor and Los Carloss, I absolutely tried like I couldn't have played any better. I just I went out there. I was seeing the ball like it was a great fruit, Like I couldn't miss a ball.
Speaker 3: Like I was just treeing out of my mind.
Speaker 4: That was in terms of level, like my actual level like was not where I played way above my actual level that day for sure. That was sick and then beating Fritz is probably those those are the two because I mean you and I was like nine in the world that when I played him in Mexico, and then Fritz was I think he was top ten when I played him. I'm not one hundred percent sure I think he was, but I played pretty good and then I gagged.
Speaker 3: I gagged it away.
Speaker 4: In the second I was at five to three and then had like four match points and then all of a sudden it was five all, and then I came back and like only lost one more point from there. That was a good mental effort for me to uh to take him down, so that those are definitelyated to uh two best wins of the year for me.
Speaker 5: We watched The Demon A one in the Office. Do you remember view we did?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was now timesigme. We were watching Office, Yeah, because it was joke I played.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, it was an incredible performance. I was also in Shanghai recently where I saw you compete against Novak Djokovic, who took him to two tight tie break sets. What's it like to compete against the legend like Novak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean being on the other side, and that is again something else I never thought would happen. And uh like when I was just like warm me up, I was like, yeah, I mean this is the goat. I'm playing the goat, and it's it's pretty intimidating. You know, that guy's got twenty four slams, like he's got a gold medal. He's like, he doesn't even like he's won everything there is to win, Like what else do you need to win? Like why are you here? And I play I'm drying. I'm drawing him second round like now. But it was it was absolute incredible And I.
Speaker 3: Got up three to zero in the first set in like nine minutes, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like and then I kind of realized, oh maybe I can win, and then I got a little tight, but yeah, playing it was an incredible experience. I get to tell my grandkids that I get got to playing at novet Chak.
Speaker 3: Which just absolutely sick. And then I had some chance.
Speaker 4: I had to said the second set, I should have should have won that second set. But I mean he's, you know, the most clutched guy that ever played the sport. So and also knowing that the back of my head makes makes.
Speaker 3: Me even more tight. So it's yeah.
Speaker 4: I was definitely a crazy experience, and I think I learned a lot from that one.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you lift against some of the bigger names, lift like you play better?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like I have. I feel like I don't always. I played against the Verev in the third round Astra. I didn't play great there, but I feel like I I have. I feel like almost like half the time I do have time I don't because you know, you have to beat these guys.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to lift.
Speaker 4: Your level like before I played you know, Demon r Fritz or Sissy Pass like, you know, you have to play well to beat any of these guys. So and then going out and executing it like feels great. And then sometimes you go out there and you don't execute it, and then the guy will just pummel you. So I feel like it's kind of dependent on the match for me.
Speaker 1: Sure, we were going to ask you about the Io third round run because it's your best Grand Slam results so far, and you beat uryla Hechker as well to reach there.
Speaker 5: He was a seed like you, How was it?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: How do you look at that achievement and was that was that a bit of a like a barrier bar couldn't getting maybe further into a slam like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, of course. I mean I was like on the edge.
Speaker 4: I was like ninety ninety five before that event, or like ninety two or something like that. I remember going into that week and played US Train Wildcard first round, crazy crowd. I got through that one, which just felt great, and then I played pretty well against Lash. I remember I played a poor first set, and then after that I just like locked in and I I and there was a couple of rain delays which helped me, and I I just played really really well and then being able to win that one that was incredible, and uh zero was lost in the third rounder.
Speaker 3: The second rounder, I remember, I.
Speaker 4: Almost got to play like I als got to play client in the third round, which has been cool. I mean, but uh players Vere von rod Laver was was incredible, incredible experience. That was my first time on like a really good court like that, and I feel like most of the crowd was like for me. I think they wanted the underdog, and I made a close second set. I had like one of the sickest shots in my life and the second set breakers ACA a line pass.
Speaker 3: But I was that was an incredible experience.
Speaker 4: I really hope I get to play a Rod Labor again this time, hopefully not to that means I'll play like Yannick or Carlos.
Speaker 3: I don't walk, but maybe like like third round again.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was an absolutely, absolutely incredible experience playing rather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a fantastic cold.
Speaker 2: It sounds like you enjoyed the crowds in Australia. How do they compare to so say US crowds.
Speaker 3: They're definitely more rowdy.
Speaker 4: When I played the Australian Walker, and I mean that was my first time again, I was felt like I was really really away, like I felt like I was in an away game ever not one person and that crowd was cheered for me, and uh it was tough. And I feel like I had that a lot this year where the crowd was against me, which which I've come to love. I I enjoy it now, but I remember in that first round of Australia, I was like, I didn't love it.
Speaker 3: It made it even more tight. But now but now I absolutely love it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think I maybe I earned their respect after I did, and then in the second round it that was pretty even for me go and then I felt like it was more for me, but yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Was, it was. It was really cool. It was really cool to experience that.
Speaker 4: I think experiencing that and then seeing they're definitely the most rowdy like Australia, maybe the French too, but the Australians are crazy rowdy.
Speaker 3: It was it was nice outas here is fun.
Speaker 5: We love it.
Speaker 1: We're famous for loving and underdogs. So that'll that will help explain why you experience love.
Speaker 5: Yeah, love it.
Speaker 1: So I guess when you said, like, you know, play on rod La Arena if you you know you would like to avoid Yanni and Carlos and people like that early. You can do that by getting a Grand Slam seat. And you're actually quite close to being in that bracket. What is the now that you've kind of had a bit of time on tour and you know the level and you see what those top players do, what is the difference from going from where you are now at forty to like that top thirty two bracket or cracking the top twenty. Like it's such small margins at the top, so like, what do you think is the key to cracking those next barriers.
Speaker 4: I think for me, one of the main things is going to be getting a better surf because I'm six four and I don't get a ton of free points off of surf, whereas most other guys that in my he do get a lot of free points on surf. So I think that is a is a bit component. Also playing a little more offensive because against these guys are not going to give it to you, got to take it from them if you want to win. So I feel like those are the two main things that are that are that need to happen for me. And I also think the mental I really kind to believe that I can be all these guys when I when I see them in draw.
Speaker 3: So I think those those three things for sure, is.
Speaker 5: That belief starting to come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: I I usually go on the court and no matter who I'm playing, I tell myself that I could win, at least I can. I try to convince myself of that because if you because if you don't, if you go in you think you're gonna lose, that you're gonna lose.
Speaker 3: So that's what I tell myself.
Speaker 4: I definitely tell myself I can win every time I walk out there.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 1: We've spent a lot of these chat talking about kind of like you as a tennis player, your career so far, your game. What would you like people to know about you, maybe like off the court as you as a person.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm crazy competitive on the court, and I'm also crazy competitive off the court for whatever it is, like you, like, I played basketball, it's id a crazy competitive. I play video games, like, I get really pissed the video games, way more piss than I do with tennis. So I'm crazy competitive with with everything I do. But I'm also like, I mean, I hate to say this said, but I'm kind of worry.
Speaker 3: I don't do a lot.
Speaker 4: Like I go to practice and at least when I'm home, I go to practice most of the day. I come back, I relax, I you know, play video games, hang out friends and family, and go and do it again the next day. I feel like I kind of live at like groundhod day. It's just everything I repeat. So not a whole lot going on over here.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you're under selling yourself because we have we were reading in preparation for these interview and we discover that you collect coins and you read about history, which are pretty hice things like what what how did they start? And what kind of like history do you delve into.
Speaker 4: Oh, the American history, I love it. I love it in America. I love I love America. So just reading about the history and you know how how we came to be is pretty cool. I don't know, like I got into it and I was like crazy young, and I like it's always kind of stuck with it. And my my grandfather also fought in World War two and my other grandfather fought in the Vietnam War. So I think having that, you know, connections and definitely made me, uh, you know, I want to learn more about that.
Speaker 3: And then I also for the coins.
Speaker 4: I never I haven't collected coins since I was like thirteen, but I do have like I do have some like some cool underlike clause that's for sure. I haven't opened that thing in my years, but it's I definitely have some some coins that are probably worth a couple of grand now just because they're so old and they're in good condition too, so.
Speaker 3: And I was I kind of got there from my brother. I remember my brother started doing that when I was erk and I just kind of fall in.
Speaker 5: So that must have been an old story we read. But that's cool. It could have could have it could have some value.
Speaker 1: Now, Alex, this has been so great, You've been really generous with your time. We just wanted to close by asking, yeah, like when will we see you down in Australia twenty twenty five, like the Australian summer and kind of what are your what are your goals going into a new season which you've started preparing for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I will be in Brisbane the first threek. I'm gonna play Brisbane and then and then obviously Melbourne. Looking forward to getting down there and start started all over again a year.
Speaker 3: Two goals for next year. I don't really want to say that.
Speaker 4: I like keeping it to myself for the most part, but I do have some goals I would like to accomplish.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I just got to put in.
Speaker 4: The work in this next couple of weeks before before next gen and try to get after it.
Speaker 2: Amazing, fantastic, That sounds sounds very exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to get down to Australia.
Speaker 4: I love I love the course down there and it rise like Australia's lost silver country to America, so that's probably why I like it down there.
Speaker 1: I think there's definitely a bit of a crossover between like southern California and Australia. Like the Preachers, everyone feels really comfortable, so that's that's good.
Speaker 5: Will you have to come before Christmas though, No.
Speaker 3: I'm actually gonna go home after Saturday.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go home back to California for a couple of days, part of four five days to spend it with my.
Speaker 3: Family, and then I will and then I will head down to Britain.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. We look forward to seeing you come this summer, so thank you so much for your time today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll find see you guys in Melbourne.
Speaker 5: Now, Yeah you will?
Speaker 1: You will?
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure, definitely.
Speaker 3: Oh cool.
Speaker 2: Well, I really do hope that we have a chance to talk to Alex in person after such a great interview.
Speaker 3: Map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be great to see him, I guess before he comes to Australia, which is super exciting. We'll see I think from Wednesday when the Next Gen Finals starts. How he progresses. And I really enjoyed the part of the chat where he talked about kind of his contemporaries and rivals that are in that field. It's a pretty amazing group that are coming up. And that reference to Juel Fonseca hitting a ball like Yannick Sinner like, there's a lot of exciting stuff about this generation to look forward to. And so yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing both Alex and all of them when they come to come to Melbourne January.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Alex is actually the number two seed at the tournament and he has he's come so far since he played that event last year as well, So I think we'll see a lot of progress for him, and you know who knows he We've got Yannick Sinners to find us, sits a Pass, Carlos Alcoraza, some of the names that are won that tournament. So let's see who comes next.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks again for joining us for this episode, and we'll be back next week with another episode of The sit Down when we bring you our interview with Sumitt Nogal. But in the meantime, you can join John and Brie and the team for this Thursday's episode of The AO Show Weekly.
Speaker 2: Please remember to subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, mat see you then, bib