Speaker 1: This is Outspoken.
Speaker 2: The podcast is not afraid to say exactly what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: Our names are Amy Kate and Sophie Torber.
Speaker 2: We're identical triplets, but we often don't have identical opinions, so sometimes things can get heated. Outspoken covers all things reality TV, influencers, entertainment and issues facing women that is so fat.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our under the influenced edition of Outspoken. Today on the show, we're joined by the amazing Scherie Luise.
Speaker 1: The twenty eight year old from Melbourne is a model, writer and.
Speaker 2: Disability advocate who isn't afraid to stand up for what she believes in. At just six years of age, Chari sadly lost her leg to cancer, and just last year she was cast into the media spotlight after vile trolls bullied her for merely revealing the fact she's an amputee.
Speaker 1: Cherie's model in life is simple.
Speaker 2: She's not here to inspire abled bodied people, but she's here to help those that are disabled. We spoke with talented and funny and kind twenty eight year old fresh from her first virtual runway show for lingerie brand Bluebella. We thought we'd get into today's episode by firstly asking how you've been navigating your ISO life so far.
Speaker 3: I've been doing pretty well, thanks Considering. You know, obviously I speak only of my little bubble, which is my own home. I know there's not so great things going on out there, but myself, I've been doing quite well. I've I get fatigued quite quickly, so I've been able to get a lot of resting and ISO you know, really working on just taking care of myself and working on little projects and so on. So I've been even quite well. Thanks Considering.
Speaker 2: And are you able to fill listen a little bit about your situation work wise, because we were speaking off microphone about it and it's absolutely shocking what's going on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So basically I was working at a front of house position, so dealing a lot with the public, and we had a few staff members that got confirmed and we were asking for some protective measures like screens and stuff to be put up, and unfortunately we didn't get them, and due to my you know, lacking immune system, I decided that it would be best to me to stay home somewhere that's safe. So, yeah, I had to leave my job, and as so I've been focusing on writing. I started a Patreon, and that's honestly how I am living right now. I would not really be getting by if it wasn't for that. So it's really pushed me to kind of work on my own writing and my advocacy as well. So it's a little bit of you know, I hate saying blessing in disguise when it's a terrible thing that's happening with COVID, but it's helped push me in the right direction personally as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, that's a great way to look at it, as I suppose of blessing in disguise, because sometimes such positive things do come out of awful situations. For anyone interested, what are you writing about in particular?
Speaker 3: So I've started just writing about my life. So as an ampute I get a lot of questions about what's happened and what it was like and so on, and I do. It can be quite draining to be answers all the time and to have to repeat yourself when you're not really in a position where you're prepared to answer those questions. So I started my Patreon as a way to kind of document my experience and people who are interested and are supporting me, I can share that with them. Certain I decided to do that with a Patreon because it's kind of a It's still on the internet and so on. Anyone could share it if they really wanted to, but the people that have immediate access to it are people that are actually financially supporting me, so I feel safer sharing them more intimate details with them. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, that's such a great idea because I know, being triplets, we get asked some really bizarre questions and quite invasive questions. And I'm sure it's probably nothing to the extent that you get asked, but it's astonishing some of the questions people feel the right to ask you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the most common one is what happened to your leg? And although people think that that is innocent or well meaning, it's actually it can be quite It can throw you off. Like, for example, I can be out at a bar with my friends and someone comes up. They don't say hello, they don't ask what my name is, they just go what happened? And then it's like, okay, well, I'm just having, you know, a cheeky drink, and now you're bringing up the worst of my life. And it's just like all you're going to do if I tell you the answer, you're going to go, ah, that's so sad, Like no one's going to hear cancer and go oh cool. You know, they're just going to go, oh, that's so sad. They've got to look at me with a look of pity, and then they're going to walk away and carry on with air night. And you know, it's just unnecessary. I'm like, you didn't gain anything out of that part from satisfying your own curiosity, but you sprung me off of you know, wherever I was at with enjoying myself. So people, you know, think it's well meaning to ask those questions, but they don't realize that it's like asking for your medical history is asking it a really of trauma just out of nowhere and without actually showing any interest in you. That they don't know anything about me. They just won't know about that one thing, and then they walk away. And then I'll also get questions, like fairly questions, you know, like can you have sex and can you drive? Those kinds of things, But it's just kind of like it's all very I don't know, they just shallow question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe people can actually think they have the right to come up and ask you that, because I know, as Amy said, on a small scale, we can understand because we have had the weirdest questions like were you guys joined by the head?
Speaker 1: Did you get your period at the same time?
Speaker 3: What? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: And we have our best friend who is normally around us, and she I think is more tired of the questions than we are. Do you have that friend that kind of just answers them for you because you're just sick of answering the question.
Speaker 3: Like when it comes to the questions, most of the time, my friends will kind of just like raw their eyes. They kind of look for me because they know that I will respond however I want to respond, And it does very a lot. It depends on the situation I'm in, if I'm what mood I'm in, If I'm in a situation where I don't want to cause any like tension, like I'm at a house party or something. You know, when you've got to spend the rest of the night around these people and you don't want to kill the vibe, I'll kind of just tell them and then live on. But if I'm out and I'm like around people, and I can just kind of move on and get away from whoever I don't like, I can just like it's any business, or you know, just not tell them, where I can just bullshit them and say something completely false. But it's just it depends. Like my friends usually look to me to answer, but they more get bothered by things that I ignore, Like when we're walking and about and people are staring at me, my friends will get more bothered than I am because I'm I taught myself how to just block all of the staring out, whereas they're not used to it, so they just see all of it and they just kind of take it all in, whereas I'm just like, whatever, this is part of it. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel a little invasive asking this question now, But I suppose for those who haven't heard your story, are you able to tell us, I suppose about that life changing moment when you were six years old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. I think it's important to note in these situations where you know we've talked about that we're going to be talking about these things. I'm prepared to answer these questions, so I don't want you to feel bad about asking these questions when there's something that I've voluntarily gotten into as well. So basically, when I was six years old, I started to experience Haines and my hip and I was getting all kinds of temperatures and so on. So we had a bunch of tests done. I just remember lots of scams and lots of doctors. I was six years old, like so, I don't remember a lot, but I remember those things. And then I remember being lunch Auckland that was a New Zealand at the time, and Aucklands where the kind of country's biggest children's hospital is, so I got fun there. And then I was sitting in the corridor at the hospital and my parents were in a room with the doctors, and they came out and then they told me I had cancer. And I only knew what cancer was because not long before that, I was watching TV and I saw a little girl on TV with cancer, and I probably janxed myself. I was like, how did I never get cancer? And then next minute, so I got told that and I knew what that was. And the only thing I knew about cancer was that you lose your hair, So that's what I immediately thought, I was, I'm going to lose my hair, freaking out. And it was a pretty messy time. Like my parents were recently divorced, so they were dealing with that, and then all of a sudden, you know, your daughter's got cancer. So it was a very messy time trying to navigate everything with my family as well. And from there, you know, I was in hospital for three months before my surgery, and they told me before my surgery, they pulled me into a room to tell me what could happen on the other end. So they talked about having I, guess the cancer removed, and then I would have issues with my leg and I would spend a long time in a cast and that kind of thing. So they started with the best case scenario, and then I started to freak out and I stopped listening because I was just panicking, I guess, and I didn't actually hear them when they told me that I could actually lose my legs. So I went into my surgery not knowing that that was a possibility, and they went out. Woke up, I found out that I had lost my leg, and I was sort of freaking out to my mum, being like, you didn't tell me, you know that I could lose my leg and what's going on? And she's something you know, we did, you just w And I was only I was in ic you when that happened. So but I was only in ICU for a day, and I just remember. I just remember that. I just remember I kept coming in and out of sleep and just like feeling my hip and being like, what's going on? Because I gotn't quite comprehend it. Something wasn't there. It felt like something was there, if that makes it, because it felt different, So I was like, what's on my hip? But it was like month nothing there, but so the weird feeling doing that, and then when I got out it was just I don't remember much after getting out of ICU in regards to being I guess sad about in shock about losing my leg. I think after that it was more just how do we keep moving? What am I going to do? Like do I get a leg going? How am I going to get around? And that kind of thing. So I also didn't really yeah I did, because I feel like I was just kind of going with it. I don't really know what was going on. I didn't have a certain way of life that was being interrupted, and I was just taking it as it came. It didn't feel I don't know, it probably would have been a bit surreal as opposed to being older and you've got a way of life and you've got all your habits and things that you do, and then you get thrown out of that. So I feel like being a kid, it was probably a lot easier for me to manage because I didn't really understand the implications of life and death and loss and all of that.
Speaker 2: Well, definitely, I mean, what was that like for you having to go back to school and I suppose you hadn't really thought about the fact you might lose your leg, that this was obviously you're still processing all of this news, because I feel like school can be horrendous enough without having something that makes you stand to stand out from others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when I went back to school, so I think I was about I think I was like seven by that I was seven and a half, maybe eight. I can't remember. I'm like, I'm terrible with time. But now on the chemo because it affects your memory. So I complained that. But so I was in the hospital for ten months all up. Then I got out, went home full clearance, like I didn't have the cancer comeback, so I got through remission as a clean sweep, So that was great. But I went back to school primary school, and the biggest thing I was worried about was that I had a wig, and I was really scared that everyone would know that I had a wig. And then I went back and primary school was pretty chill, like because I was already in primary school when I got diagnosed. So when I got diagnosed and I left, they had like a school assembly where they talked about me and what was happening and stuff. So the whole school kind of already knew and they knew me before, and I think that that made it more personal of a story, Like they knew that I was going through something horrible and then I come back, so it was kind of I guess they were less likely to bully me because they'd all been waiting to hear what happened. So I didn't have too much difficulty in primary school. Then a New Zealer we have intermediate school, which is like two years between primary and high school. Yeah, so that's when you're like eleven twelve. So then I went on to intermediate school and things were okay there. I didn't really get bullied there. Oh actually I liked I got bullied that I got like anonymous letters, really yeah, from a girl in my class. I totally know who it was now, but back then I didn't know. Like it was so obvious now that I look back on it, but like back then, it was this big mystery and everyone was trying to figure it out, like all the teachers and stuff. But she just wrote me like these anonymous letters, and she was like pretending to be someone else, like she was trying to frame this other girl. It was really nasty, and she was just telling me how ugly I am and because I have one leg and I'm just like just like super nasty, like really long leaders. So like she really went in. But she was obviously a very sad girl. Like she wasn't you know, popular or anything like that, so obviously a very sad, sad kid. And when the kids are not older classes, they got shann a letter as well, and they were all mortified and they all stood up to me and you know, made sure I was okay and stuff. So that was nice. But I did get bullied, but it was always behind my back or anonymous. The only time people would bully me to my face, like even through high school. Right got to high school and the people that would bully me would be like strangers. So I'd be walking home from school when a little kid would yell out names at me, or my friends bullied me but behind my back, like they would never like they would never ever talk about my leg in front of me, and and I later found out that I were all just like constantly making leg jokes whenever I wasn't around. That kind of really fuck because we were really close. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, it broke my heart because I read somewhere that you said when growing up you felt like you had accepted the fact that you wouldn't end up with someone and you'd be alone.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us.
Speaker 2: Through why you felt that way and why you felt like you wouldn't find love during your teenage years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think when I like when I came to terms with it, I was probably more like I was around ten years old probably when I came to terms of it, Like there was a phase probably from like you know, ege to ten eleven where I was just every night or it was a set in bed and I would look on old photos of myself and just be sad and just be like, what the hell was going to happen when I'm older? And so I came up with this plan in my head. I was like, Okay, well, you know, I'd never seen an amptity girl in a relationship or in love, so I was like, Okay, that's probably not gonna happens. So what we're going to do is we're going to get rich. I'm going to get a really cool job. It's not gonna matter. I love that I had the whole plan. I was like, we're gonna be alone, We're going to have like lots of pets, and we're.
Speaker 2: Going to be sweet, because that sounds pretty amazing. I don't know a guy when you're rich with pets of me.
Speaker 3: So that was my plan. But yeah, I definitely just think. I definitely thought that I would never fall in love. And like, my mum had a new partner around that time, and I was just like seeing them fall in love like really upset me because I was like, oh, I'm never going to have that. So yeah, I spent a lot of time being upset about that. And it was obviously just because I'd never seen it before, Like it just wasn't a thing, you know. I was the only time I ever saw amputees was once a year on the Paralympics, and that was it. I never saw any love stories or anything. And the way I was kind of, you know, I guess treated like it, you know, boy, you know you want if people have school yard crushes and stuff like that, it was never me. So I was just like, well, all right, well I need to come up with another plan. And that's what I did. And obviously I was wrong, like that's not how things were going to be when I got older, but that's definitely what I thought when I was a kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you just to put it out there.
Speaker 2: We've e gauged from social media that you do have your own love story, is that right. We've still you on social media and really very loved in a really awkward way, like I've seen your loved up photos.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So back when I think I was twenty at the time, So they were talking like eight years ago. So I was loving the Gold Coast and I was visiting my best friend in Melbourne and she's telling me about a friend who just moved to the Gold Coast and this is is quite a goods that I was actually in the process of moving to Melbourne, right, So I'm like hanging with my best friend in Melbourne and I've got a few months in till I move. And she's like, oh, so, yeah, my friends moved up there. I should hang out and I'm like, oh, yeah, cool, and she's telling me about him and then I'm like, oh, I know that we follow each other on Twitter, so we actually already kind of knew each other. So I felt like, oh, that's cool, Yeah, invite him over for drinks and we became friends. And then you know, I still moved to Melbourne even though we were like got along so well. I was like, I'm moving to Melbourne, like I can't, you know, I'm not going to stay on the Golf Coast for some casual thing. And then I thought kind of thought that it wasn't going to go anywhere because we're in different states at that point. But we still kept casually dating for quite a few years, and then I ended up moving back to bet with him and we've been together for about four years now. Stay and then we moved back to Melbourne, so we've been like back and forth a lot. But yeah, things we're going really well. We lived together and now there we've got I've still got all my pets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have the pets? What kind of pets do you have?
Speaker 3: You got a cat and two dogs, so yeah, one was the cat was astray. He found us and we cann't find a zioners. We adopted him. We got one dog from a rescue and then we got another dog from a friend's litter unexpected letter. So just a bunch of lost babies that we again.
Speaker 1: And the world comes next. That's the next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned that you didn't feel represented, and I feel like you've spoken a lot in the past or you've been interviewed in the past about the representation of disabled women in the media and fashion.
Speaker 1: What's your viewpoint on that? Do you are you? Do you see it changing at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. So I've always, you know, wanted to get into it. You know, this is why I've gotten into modeling and that kind of thing, because the more disabled people that we have involved, the more we can shape our own stories and the way that we're portrayed to they. You know, I'm seeing it changed now, but basically before I did. It was always just the best and worst case scenario. You know, all I'd see on TV is paralympian, you know, talking about elite athletes. You know, like that's that's not for me. You know, I'm not an athlete. It's just like you know, looking at Olympians, it's a huge achievement. Or you'd see the other end of it, which is like a SOB story, a kittie party. So you'd have a disabled character on TV and it's just like a plot device. You know, it's about something tragic that's happened to them and now they're depressed, and you know, it's this big sub story about this person. And we don't see the most common lives of disabled people, which is you know, everyday people who live full lives and you know, the fashionable. They're in love, they're working an office job, you know, they're doing everyday thing. But we never see that. We never see a disabled leed who is just hanging out with their friends, going and getting starbucks and got something about boys and having you know, you know, school drama and stuff like that. It's always the extremes. So I found that super unrelatable because I'm like, well, none of these people in me and it just seems inaccurate, which I found a lot of people feel as well. And a few years ago I found a woman called Mama Cuts on Instagram and she's unfortunately passed away last year, which is very sad. But she has the same amputation as me, which is quite rare to have the whole egg plus the left half of the pelvic phone removed. So it's yes, quite rare. I've never actually found someone else that had that amputation. And I found her on Instagram and she's this She was a model, she was like a lifestyle blogger. She had this huge following. She she was in the Rihanna's Savage Menu runway show, like she was just kicking gold. And she was the first person that I saw and she was like she was like posting photos like in a swimsuit at the beach and stuff, and I was like, oh my god, like this is this is what I want, you know, like this is what I need. And you know, she was the person that, you know, I've never in my whole life up until well, I think last year gone to the beach and a swimsuit, Like I just didn't go to the beach and yeah, last year I went, and it was because she had posted photos in a swimsuit, her scars were showing and she looked great, and I was like, man, like what am I doing? You know, like I'm just wasting so much time. I haven't been because the beach with my friends and my whole life, like, so it was just yeah, just seeing her do it, I was like, oh my god, this is so great. And it's yeah, it's so sad that we lost her, but just seeing people that are like accurate to what I aspire to be, it's no important, but even.
Speaker 2: That story just shows how powerful it is to have somebody like you, as in, like all of us represented in your way. And I saw you and also, you know, doing a stalk of your Instagram, a deep stalk, I saw the photos of you at the beach and you were bloody killing it. You looked amazing, And there's going to be so many young girls who follow your Instagram as well that might be in a similar position and be like, oh my god, like that is like that's me and I'm being represented and.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Going into that kind of that food of feeling represented in the media is that what enticed you do appear in the Cleo magazine back when you were twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Honestly, I think I was at a point in my life where, like I I was kind of stuck, and I was just I really wanted to just make a move that makes sense. Like I was like, I'm moving to Melbourne and I'm doing this magazine feature. So like I went and tracked down one of the writers for Cleo and I like slid in her DMS and I was like, Hey, do you want to do a story about me? And she was like yeah, and my best friends are photographers. So we did a shoot and we did the shoe, just gave them everything they needed to do a feature on me, right, And it was pretty cool because I like did the shoot myself. I kind of had control about what images were going to them as opposed to them doing the shoot and then picking everything. So for my first feature, it was pretty comfortable. They sent me like a preview of the article before it came out, so I got to, like, you know, ask for any changes. So there was peper accommodating, which was really nice. And I was just I was, yeah, I was just at a point where I felt a bit restricted because I most of my life was like long line and I felt like a lot of people book didn't know my story, and I felt like a lot of people didn't even know that I was in an amputee, and I was just kind of tired of being self conscious and kind of yeah, apprehensive about what would happen if they did know. I was like, oh, what if you know, they found out I've got one leg and then their attitude towards me kind of changes. And I just got tired of that, and I was like, look, I'm just going to to do this. I'm just going to drop this article and then people can deal with it, and however they take it was up to them. And it got received well, Like obviously, it's all I had that people would be mean to me and I would lose friendships or anything like that. So it was received super well. Everyone loved it, and yeah, so it kind of it was just the way of me just breaking through my own fear, and That's what I've kind of kept doing. It's like, whenever I'm self conscious about something, I'm just going to I just kind of break through. Like with that Beag story, I just like lant out get it, took a photo, dropped it on Instagram and I was like, okay, you can all deal with it. I've seen it now.
Speaker 2: I love that you did it through Cleo magazine as well, the biggest magazine, just a low key well for obviously some positive, like lots of positive attention came with it, but I've read that there also came a little bit of strange attention. And for those who haven't heard of it before, can you tell us about what I don't know if I'm pronouncing it right?
Speaker 1: A devotee? Is that the right way to pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's not a devote Sorry, okay.
Speaker 3: A devotee is essentially a person who has a fetish towards amputees. So I didn't know that this group of people existed up until the Cleo article came out, because prior so that I had no digital presence of being an amputee. It was all, you know, just kind of private conversations. So this article comes up. It came out in print first, So it came out in print that was pretty chill, but then it went onto their website afterwards. But when it went digital, that's when I started getting all these Facebook friend requests, and I'm like all these profiles were a bit suss, Like I would go on there and it would be someone who is presenting as an amputee when they were very obviously not like they would be like an obvious photoshop job or like just like sharing different photos of different amputees and obvious.
Speaker 1: So the alarm bells were going right now at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was just like, well, these people are adding me, and then they were messaging me. Some of them were actually like pretending to be amputees to message me and start a conversation with me. You know, there's in me a message like oh hey, I lost my leg and I hate my life? Can you help me? And I'm like, no, that's not That's not how we talk to each other, like you know, like like we don't send each other messages being like I hate my life, please help.
Speaker 2: No catfish, Like yeah, had a.
Speaker 3: Catfish me into like helping them, And I'm like, you're faking trauma to try and strike up a conversation with me. That's fucked up. But then and like I don't judge, you know, you know, people for having fetishers. I'm not like judgmental about that at all. People are into different things. It's when they're projecting that onto me and they think that they're entitled to things from me because they're fetish. That's where I get a bit annoyed. I'm like, look, just because you have a fetish for people like me does not mean that I owe you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you're some sort of special object or something. And when they're catfishing you too and then trying to pretend that they've got you know how you feel, Yeah, that's very deceptive. That's very I'm so interested to hear that, because you know, I've never heard of that before. That's an underbelling of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll try anything to get in the door kind of thing. And look, a lot of I do have a lot of people who I'm pretty sure are devoted you, who are very respectful, and they do not ask me for things. They just observe follow my Instagram. I'm like, cool, Like just that's fine. But when they send me, you know, like dams and they're like, oh, give you one hundred dollars if you stand me a video of you like walking, and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, like no, thank you.
Speaker 3: The line I'm like don't demand things with me. Just you can just watch.
Speaker 1: This is how you could get rich. Just charge the well at the end.
Speaker 2: Well at the end of last year were caught up in a media storm of sorts because of one tweet that you put out.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us about what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So basically I made a joke. I was just having a bit of a laugh. So I was on Twitter and someone tweeted us coming your age and something you cannot do, and so I just tweeted a little inside joke with my followers. I don't have many followers, so I was just like, oh, I'm twenty seven and I can't cross my legs. And then I was like ha ha, and I went to sleep. And then someone who followed me but didn't obviously I didn't pay enough attention to know that I was an empty tea. They retweeted it. You know, you quote tweet yeah, and you like kind of yeah, like quote tweeted it, and they were like lmao, why and I was like, I was just like and all I did was quote tweet it again. So it was like a little whiska though of a joke, but I like quote tweeted it again. Just with a photo of me. It's like a full body photo. And I just dropped that and I was like, sweet, done, Yeah, just a bit of a laugh, super lazy joke. And then then I started getting the retweets, and then like a few people with big followings retweeted it, and then next minute, I think it got up to nine thousand retweets, and then I can't remember how many lights, like in the tens of thousands and so, and then it turned from like people laughing with me to people laughing at me too, just like a commentary from random menace to whatever or not. They would fuck me and they were just like tagging their friends and be like, bro, would you still hit that? And they'd be like, oh, it depends you know what this stomp looks like and all this stuff. And I'm just like, my god, one, why are you tagging me? Like take dms if you want to have your little fucking bro high pup about sex stuff.
Speaker 2: And I can't believe these people are willing to put their name and faces to these disgusting comments, like.
Speaker 3: You know, like those like troll profiles, you know, they have like fake pigs of that. They would not just like they would just like blazant bros with their faces showing wearing like school shirts.
Speaker 1: And oh my gosh, just.
Speaker 3: Like I could obviously like easily identify most of these people and so just tend it to this commentary. There was like a French guy who made a comment about how like a bit easy to rape beings people can't get away? My god? What and what else were they saying? Just a lot of and then a lot of like the same choke over and over again. It's like a lot of lazy jokes, and it was just annoying. Like I wouldn't I didn't even I didn't like shed a tear over these people. Like I was just like doing around. I was obsessed with reading all the replies, like I read like every reply I got. But it was just annoying because they were making the same joke I reckon. I had like a hundred people make the same joke, and then like every now and again, I could get picked up when people thought it was hilarious and I'm like, no, it's not funny. Already being dead, yeah, I'm just getting mad that people were getting like engagement out of jokes that were.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna be flu quits at least be original about it.
Speaker 3: And then and then so I was like I was like replying here and there, like when someone made the same joke, I would send them like a collage of everyone making that same book. And then they were like dilute to me. And then and then I got picked up on Reddit. I don't know if you guys use Reddit.
Speaker 2: I don't, but I've seen, yeah, I've seen threads on there.
Speaker 3: I ended up. I got I woke up in the morning and I had like a bunch of messages being like, oh, You're on the front page of Reddit, and I'm like, I don't know deal what that means, but apparently it means a lot of people were seeing and it was someone making the same joke that everyone was making. It's like, you know, it's like phase seven out of ten, body, six out of ten, legs one out of two, and so it being maybe like a hundred times, and like the first time that that joke actually took off, it was an actual ampitue like making that joke, and so now it's just hundreds of people taking it and not being funny. So it was that joke and then it was just like just like popped off and read it. I was getting all these messages, same jokes, same wild people. And then I talked about it in a private Facebook group. I was just like, yeah, getting these trolls, that's weird. And there was the journo and the Facebook group, and she saw what I was talking about, and she went and liked saw all the tweets and stuff like that, and then she sent me a DM on Twitter and she was like, hey, do you mind a very write a story about the tweets and stuff? And I was like, let me sleep on it, because you know, like, as if I do a story is they're gonna make it worse. So people are gonna get worse, because as we know, that's how things worked. And then I slept on it. I woke up and I was like, Oh, no, one's going to say anything worse than the thousands of tweets that I've already gotten, like let's be real, and and I was like, yeah, that's probably just going to end up like in the back of the lifestyle section what else. And then so I was like, yeah, okay, let's do it. And I did it, and then I went to work and the story came out and then I started getting all these dms from like every major news outlet and Surelia be like hey and we share your story. I'm like, am like, may as well whatever, Like you know, these are just the people asking, you know how a lot of publications they just they don't even ask. They just go and copy the story and published. I'm like, whatever asking me, I can have some control over what they post if I, you know, do it this way. So I did a few of them, and then by the time I got home from work, it was like front page of like every news website, like all the major ones in the country and even New Zealand where I'm from. So I started and that was unexpected, right. So that's a bit that like kind of just shook me was that I got home and I logged onto the news and my face was the first thing. But the first thing is just my big a space.
Speaker 2: That's isn't it. Is it the slow news day or yeah?
Speaker 3: And I'm sure of you know what this was to have your face all over the news and you're just like, oh, this was like the greatest like thing to be known for. You know, this is going to be the first thing that comes up when people google me. And so that's what shook me. And I actually had a bit of like a panic when that happened. My boyfriend walk and I was just like, it's everywhere because I don't know. There was a big difference between that other people on Twitter that I do not know saying things I do not care about these people to being all over the news and I've got all of these people I know seeing it, and like I had like school teachers messaging me, like my family messaging me, like people just like I haven't spoken to but they all know me. I suddenly messaging me, And it was just like this unwanted merger of Twitter and in real life. So that was like the most shocking part of it was how much it got kicked up and it went worldwide after that, and I was just it was just strange being like, oh, great, Like this is what everyone's gonna know me for.
Speaker 2: It's funny that people that come out of the woodwork when something like that happens and you're like, oh my god, I forgot about you. So what was the coverage like from country to country?
Speaker 1: Did it defects? I'm assuming that the original.
Speaker 2: Report probably would have been a great story, but then did it change? Is it sort of got picked up from other publications.
Speaker 3: Like most publicators they were fine, you know, like your your Western ones were just your average. I did do myself a favor. I did not read any comments on the news articles like on Facebook and stuff, because that's where all like a La boomills come out and stuff, and then they get a bit what do you expect? This is what you deserve. I was getting that on Twitter as well, but it was a lot of that when the news articles came out, like what do you expect when you put phoots of yourself online?
Speaker 1: People are so disgusting.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy about how you can just get such a different reaction that you'll read some comments of people and they'll be like, oh love I love you.
Speaker 1: And then other ones like hate you.
Speaker 2: Like It's just crazy how people can take such different things from articles.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had a guy I reader, a Melbourne guy. I'm gonna go to read this article about how I've been trolled online people saying horrible things about me, and then has reaction try and find out where I live. Of course he like tweeted me like oh girl from Frankstone complaints about getting trolled online and you know, then girl goes and shares more stuff or something like that, and then I was like, why do you think I live in Frankston And he's like, oh, I looked up your eye peaters, so and I'm like totally normal behavior, dude, creepy and I'm like okay, So, like, yeah, I stayed away from that side of online commentary, which I think was good. But yeah, when it went around the world, the western kind of cupboard was very just kind of shocked factory the least horrible comments girls and deputy help me and she's appalled, she shocked all that. And but then I read one I kind of remember what country it was them, but they kind of it was like the laziest coverage. They were just like they ended it but oh well, not much we can do about this. And I'm like, what are you and you do you want to have a stance, but they were just like, oh well. And then it got to other areas like Indonesia. Indonesia and oh my god, nicest nicest coverage ever am. I got like a photo posted on the biggest Instagram paid in Indonesia and then I got like a thousand followers like that because this page was kewed, and they're all just the like Indonesian people sending me the loveliest messages of like oh you're so sweet, You're an angel, and I'm just saying like nicest things. It was like such a contrast from like being troubled to me getting like thousands of messages from Indonesia just telling me like how great I am. And then I I also had a photo go up on like a Russian social media website that was a lot different. So like I started getting like an influx and followers from Russia and I was like, Oh, something must be happening there, and a DM one of them and I'm like, hey, is there like a article or something going on in Russia? And then they sent me a link to this Russian social media website and they posted the photo of me and stuff and these they just said oh she's beautiful or something like that. That the comments like completely different. The comments were just saying things like oh this girl, you know, she doesn't know anything about what it's like to live a hard life. She'll never know what it's like to live on the disability benefit. She's got rich parents and she's she's really stupid because she's a model, so she obviously not very smart and that's why she does what. I'm like, what I don't got like so fired up because there's one thing of like people like trolling me, but then people just like outright lying. I was like, well, my parents are not rich too. I've worked since it's fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: It's amazing the things that people can say are wrong with you, Annie, so that you're and that you're too attractive to have you know, had a bad life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. The other thing, I was like, I can't even get benefits. I don't have residency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't even understand if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Isn't it crazy too?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like if it was a male who was in this position as well and their Twitter comment went off one, I don't think it would go off in the way that it has. But I feel like there is like an element of sexism in it. Do you think that that's compounded? You know, we see so many women facing challenges and sexism every day. Do you think that is compounded by having a disability and been thrown in the spotlight like that as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, Like, I definitely think that the whole thing blew up because there was the whole commentary around whether or not people would have sex with me. So I think, you know, that maybe came from a place where they if I had two legs, they would be attracted to me. But then they obviously I'm an amputee, so they're like, oh, this is a conundrum. Am I still attracted to her? Let me discuss this with my think group publicly.
Speaker 2: And I love these people though, sorry I want to say I love these people that be commenting would be the biggest trolls you've ever seen. Commenting a bit and you'd be like, I would never have sex with you in my whole life.
Speaker 3: I said that to one of them. I was like, I wouldn't and then he goes, you don't have a choice in it.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: People are disgusting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so with the it's actually pretty upsetting. So when it comes to disability and these issues, see i've you know, the rates of being content warning sexual assault, the rates of being sexually assaulted, I'm much higher for disabled women, so especially intellectually disabled women. So it's about a rate of twelve times higher if you were intellectually disabled versus not being intellectually disabled. And MPR did a great article covering this, you know, citing their sources and all of that. If you want to read it. It's heartbreaking, but it's very important. And when I was I think I was fifteen or sixteen, I was out at the markets with my best friend. My best friend came over from New Zealand to visit me and we went out shopping. I was like, so excited have my best friend here because I had no friends. We're out shopping and at summer, I'm wearing like a summer dress and we're out, you know, at the markets, so it's like quite crowded. People are brushing up against each other. You know, you just flee market type thing, right, And I had this woman come up to me and she like tapped me on the shoulder and she was like, don't look now, but that man over there just took photos of your dress. And I was like, and I'm like, I'm like, I'm quite a fiery person, so like I'm quite bold and do things that could probably get in a lot of trouble. But I just turned around. I saw this thirty he was carrying like a big professional camera, right, and she said, you know she saw him put the camera up my dress who's standing behind me, and saw him go a click click click, And I wouldn't have known if this lady didn't tell me, right, And you know, I'm a miner as well. So I'm alone with my friend and back then, I I didn't have like it was, you know when you had to credit on your phone, you know, id it on my phone, so like I couldn't call anyone. I'm in a market. The market stores don't have tuble phones, you know. It was that kind of thing. There's no security right there that you can call. And the guy was walking away and I was like, I can't let this guy get away with floaters up my dress. So I just went after it. And he said to my friend. I was like, try and get security or something like I'm going to follow this dude. And my friend couldn't get security just because of how the market was, you know, laid out, just it's impossible, and so I went follow the dude. He walked out to the car park and I was like, so dumb, but I followed him into the car park because you know, I can be a bit of a dumb mass, But I followed him out there and he was standing near by a car and he was looking scrolling through his camera and I walked up to him and I was just like, hey, buddie photos and he's like yeah, and I'm like, oh, what are you taking photos of? He's like, oh, you know, just things around the market and I was just like lost them and I was like you can probably bleep this out and I was like, no, you're fucking taking photos up my dress. And I just went off on this dude and I was like, give me your camera right now, and he like obviously wasn't going to give me his camera. And then I said that's when I started filming. And I started recording this dude because I was like, he's got to get away, and I was like that a recording hi when I was following him. So I'm like following him, recording him while trying to simultaneously get the attention of the market vendors like call security because this guy is just going to walk into the crowd and disappear and I'm never going to find him. And as he was walking away, I was kind of like, great, he's deleting the photos because he was doing stuff on his camera rapidly as he was walking away, and he was panicking like he was very obviously guilty, and he disappeared out of sight. And then I got security wasecurity guard. I showed him the video. I told him what happened, and he was like shaking. He was like holding my phone just like he was obviously just serious. And they caught the guy in the car park again and he'd wiped the photos by then. The police came. They let him go because they couldn't find any evidence when like, for all I know, he just popped the memory card out, but you know, hopefully he deleted them, but you know, and my dad got there, and by the time my dad got there, yeah, they let him go. And it was just like I feel like, obviously he probably targeted me because that was an amputee. Maybe that added some curiosity to his creepiness. Like I highly doubt I was the first girl he's ever done that too, But I feel like, you know, me being an amputee definitely came into that him feeling like, I don't know, he was entitled to find out what it looked like at my dress or something like that. I don't know, but yeah, that's one of the experiences I've had.
Speaker 2: That's such a good I think that's such a good story for everyone because you always have to stand up for yourself, Like, good on you actually chasing him down. I would have smashed his bloody killing. Especially at the age of sixteen. I couldn't imagine being brave enough to do that. Like, I probably that guy would not mess with you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done that, like various scenarios. But it's just like I just cannot stand the thought of not pursuing these people who do something like that, yeah, and them getting away with it, and they just thinking I should have done this, so should have done that, And like I still have regrets. I wish I grabbed his camera and threw it on the second ground, but not less, I still went after the story.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you would have got in trouble. They always twist these things somehow. I feel like I feel like we should be best friends because I'm that far in a person too that I would just make it really awkward for everyone and then like merely get myselves in punch ups because I'm like because I was one time I was sticking up for Sophie, someone was paying her out anyway. I won't go into it, but yeah, I feel like if you and I buddied up in Melbourne with be might be a dangerous like.
Speaker 3: I'm just like I think back and I'm like, man, I like bollwed that guy by myself were like Dark Street.
Speaker 2: Like if that was a movie, it definitely wouldn't have ended well, Like if the shows that you're like, oh, what are they doing now?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Moving on to a slightly more positive, like more uplifting topic. It's incredible because I read that you're uplifting. No, I'm worried what punching people that are doing wrong. I like that topic because now moving on to your modeling this month, you hit a milestone during lockdown.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us about it?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I was in bed one night, just scrolling on the and stuff and just launder a brand I followed called Blue Bella. They posted up a casting post and it was like an open casting and I was saying, actually, want to be a part of a secret project, send us a send us an email or something like that, and I was about to go to bed, so I just put it on my to do list. I was like, Okay, email Blue Bellow in the morning, and then I woke up in the morning and the post was gone. Oh I should have done this last night, you know, like obviously they're going to get a lot about the patients and so on. So I dam them and I was just like, hey, like, I know your post is gone, but is there any chance I can still apply for the project? And they were applied and they were like, yes, of course. So I emailed them just saying I want to be a part of it. A bit about myself. I know yet what it was at this point, but I figured launder A brand needs content, got to be some kind of modeling opportunity. And then they replied and they were like, yes, we'd love to have you. Congratulations on the casting, and it was a world's largest online catwalk show they called it, so they had over a thousand people apply for it, so I was super lucky to get it. And then they sent out lunder A pieces to I think two hundred women to submit videos and it was my first countwook casting and it's so weird because it in isolation. You know, I've never walked on a real catwalk, but I got my first casting from isolation, so that was pretty cool, and it was like a reminder that, like I can, I guess all have little, you know, achievements while I'm in my house.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like that's the biggest achievement anyone in isolation probably had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I did the video. My boyfriend helped me record it, and it was so weird because you had to send in like all these kind of different shots of you walking different ways and doing different things, and like doing dances, and I've never danced in my life. I'm like, oh my god, that's gonna be so bad, you know how, like the Victoria's Secret, you get to the end and you have to do the corny like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although I know my friends always laugh at this stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, and then so I send it in and then then they asked me to be a part of the press release. So you guys are probably familiar when things like this happen. Brands send out press releases to various publications and if they want to write something about it, they will, And they Blue Bellot emailed me being like, oh, we'd like to feature you in a press release. I was like sick, But then I got a little right up after that, the video came out and it was I was really happy with it. I had to stay out because it came out there in the London, so it came out at like one am here, but I was super happy with how it tender. And it was also another one of those things we're told about where I'm self conscious about something, I'll just like go all out. So I've never actually shown like the backside of my amputation before because this is like a kind of weird thing. To show us would be like posting an our shop if I did, and i'dn't have done that before. So and the next minute, I'm doing the world lie just on my fashion show and lingerie and I'm walking away from the camera. So and it was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to look in my head for my entire life. So through that experience, it was also like, ah, doesn't even look that bad. Twenty years later, I've realized that is that crazy.
Speaker 2: It's that when you put yourself out there, you finally realize, oh, yeah, like I've been worrying about this and I should have never.
Speaker 3: People don't really have anything to compare it to either. Then I'm going to be like, oh, well that doesn't look like the other girl with a handy pubric for me and a wonder ratio, Like you know, I'm just gonna they can't really say that it's not up to par whatever.
Speaker 2: You're making your own standard. I love that, Like I was going to say, I love that. It's like, as you say, you know, going on Cleo or doing this fashion show, like you were going out out of your comfort zone, but in such a massive way. It's just I love it. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Well that's just like, okay, nothing more can be done here exactly.
Speaker 2: You're just doing it on the biggest stage possible.
Speaker 1: What was the feedback like anyway?
Speaker 3: It was good and all positive, you know, there was I was, you know, reading the comments and stuff, and because after they plosted the video as well, they posted just a photo of me, but I took and one of the pieces they sent me and all the comments on that were very well received. You know, everyone's or for diversity and stuff like that now, and I feel like the people that already follow Blue Bella were already a part of that, because they're already quite a diverse brand, and that one of those brands that you know, they don't post a photo of a model that doesn't you know, the Victoria's Secret standard, and then post it with a big disclaimer about, oh, this is why we're posting a photo of a model who's not a size zero. You know how like some brands every time they showcased diversity, they have to come with a big show and tell about, oh, this is why we're doing it. It's like, not, didn't do it exactly. We don't need to have a disclaimer about why you have diverse models.
Speaker 1: Everyone's doing it exactly.
Speaker 3: It's just just like, oh, we're not going to fit in if you're constantly pointing us out exactly. Just do it. So, yeah, feedback was great, and yeah, Bluebella was quite happy, I think just because from the follow up kind of press that it got as well, and I got yeah, a lot of engagement for them as well. So overall it was really good.
Speaker 1: That SAPs good.
Speaker 2: I was gonna I was gonna ask, lastly, if you could go back, knowing everything you know, now, what would you tell your gonna say, thirteen year old self, But maybe it's more ye're eleven and twelve year old self who is going through that? Or could high school transition Yeah, what's one piece of advice you would tell yourself.
Speaker 3: I think it would be basically, don't stop doing something because you're worried about people watching you or staring at you, because no matter what you do, they're going to stare at you. Yeah. I just stop doing so many things like playing sports and stuff because I got sick of the attention and the crowds. And I'll come to line. You know, it doesn't matter what I do, people are going to crowd around and stare even if I'm just getting groceries, so and as well, just do what I want to do and ignore you know what the bikestanders are saying, Yeah, let.
Speaker 1: Him have a look.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Your story was so incredible though, Like I feel like so many people will.
Speaker 1: Love to listen to get such kind out of it.
Speaker 3: I hope so well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning into another episode about Spoken. If you did enjoy today's show, we'd love if you could tag us in your Insta story so we can reshare it.
Speaker 1: And if you would like to find out more about Shari.
Speaker 2: She is an incredibly talented writer and we've linked below her patron.
Speaker 1: Account details so you can go and follow her. Thanks so much,