Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week Their Life. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Farmer Dustin from Farmer Wants a Wife, which continues this Sunday night at seven thirty on Channel seven. He is a third generation farmer, and Dustin has always felt a huge sense of responsibility to continue his family legacy. From watching the first week, I think that Dustin has a heart of gold. I don't think he takes himself too seriously either, and I think he's quite confident compared to some of the other farmers that we've seen on the show so far. Dustin describes himself as girlfriend friendly, whose ideal partner is happy, fun loving, thick skinned, and has a good sense of humor. Dustin does come from a very tight knit family, so it's really important that his partner also will get along with them. We will unpack Farmer Dustin's connections so far with the women and if there were any tricks in remembering the girl's names. You will get some interesting insights into his thoughts on being friend zoned and how that may have been an issue with Anne, one of his potential love interests. We are going to do a deep dive on what's happened so far, so you'll get some really good insights into what Farmer Dustin thinks of a lot of these women. I'm also going to find out how hard it is to keep the outcome of this show a secret, and what he thinks of watching himself on the show. So far. There's actually so much to unpack with Farmer Dustin, So sit back and relax as we unpack the world. A farmer wants a wife? How are you?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm really well. Hang on a second, my dog is literally trying to escape from this room, so just bear with me for one second. Yeah, the dog is sorted. It's so funny. I was talking to Samantha Armitage yesterday and the dog was wanting to come in to listen to the podcast being recorded today. The dog wants to leave the room.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't blame you.
Speaker 1: How are you? By the way, I mean, you must be the talk of the town from where you're from. This must be quite surreal for you.
Speaker 2: I'm really good. Thanks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't been in to talk with town I have been for a little while now, and it's a bit weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having every somebody talk about and know what's going on.
Speaker 3: I'm usually sort of keeps myself fairly well.
Speaker 2: And stay out of trouble, but are not there ea day.
Speaker 1: Has anyone asked for your autograph at the Is it the Imperial? I think the pub that's near yous called the Imperial, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a few pubs in town. I haven't been asked an autographed yet. I think I've got a few photos.
Speaker 3: The other day I went down to a little puby go down to the broil that you have long and now I've got a few got a few fans down there, a couple, couple of young kids, and one of my.
Speaker 2: Cousin's wedding Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yea, I've got a few photos and with a few people if you realize, and they're all pretty excited. A bit weird people asked them to get photos with you one usually yeah, I don't get not really a photo type.
Speaker 1: So I just want to say, after watching the first week, I realized that you seem to be the most confident farmer this season. After watching that first week, I think you and Farmer Joe seemed the most natural on camera. Does that seem about right to you from your experience of filming, It couldn't be.
Speaker 2: Any further from the truth. But I think Joe definitely, he's quite confident. That's just Joe. But me, I think during the show I.
Speaker 3: Was probably more confident, a lot more confident at normal In general, I'm I'm not confident, but I'm not more I'm fairly shy actually, and I'd love to keep to myself and that type of thing. But I think during the whole fielding, I think because he's pretty daunting, especially for the girls and stuff like that. So I think trying to lead by example and if I'm sort of confident and things, making it sort of look easy to get massed a.
Speaker 2: Lot easier for the girls. So well, I thought, or what I was going for.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I kept watching you, and I kept thinking, this guy's are natural, like usually the first few weeks of watching Farmer, and I guess, you know, up against Farmer Burt and maybe some and some of the others, you just seem more comfortable in front of a camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty good at calm of a nerve, so I don't know, it's a lot look like he's pretty. It is very nervous, Yeah, nerve racking when you're sort of in that whole environ, especially that first week.
Speaker 2: And you don't know what's going on. You don't really know anybody. Everyone was really good, but it's still well and all the things you're going to do.
Speaker 3: And talking to girls and stuff like that, and I think, yeah, just some some reason I can just settle on nerve so well, which makes a lot easier, and then I just forget about it and move on.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty laid back generally, so keep it nice and casual and yeah, go from there.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm always terrible with people's names. It was it hard to remember everyone's name. And is there a system in the process, Like is there a producer holding up a big card with like the name Felicity on it so that you don't, you know, halfway through the date call her something else.
Speaker 3: It is very daunting to like have I'm going to remember these girls' names. But I had a pretty good idea. I think once you're sort of because you don't know, you don't.
Speaker 2: Really know who they are in a way.
Speaker 3: Like you do you sort of get you get it, you sort of have like a you see photos of them, but then when you actually see them in person. And I'm when I first sort of walk in and see them, I was like, oh, God, which one's whitch? And like there's a few that I was like, oh, I know who that one is, and I just sort of like settled down.
Speaker 2: You're like, yeah, I think I know this one is.
Speaker 3: And then obviously producers just like just to remind you this one.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I don't know all over it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had Anna, but yeah, it was a bit Felicity, Isabelle, Kara, Kiana. I think, yep, okay, great, I've written them down and I still can't remember them, which is fantastic. But you sent Beck, Kiana, and Felicity home first, and I kind of picked that those were the three that you'd send home. I'm wondering, does this mean that we have the same taste in women? Or am I just really good at being able to pick this.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a bit of both.
Speaker 1: You know, it's such a small pace of time, like you've literally had like what a five minute date with them, and then you're sending them home. Is that even enough time to really make a judgment call and then send them home. I mean some of them are crying when they're leaving. What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it is like not Tomain like I think it was.
Speaker 3: Some of the girls got left time than the others, which is a bit yeah with sharks, but I think two with the whole process.
Speaker 2: I put down when you're go into.
Speaker 3: Like vacasions, my arts, you're like, what are your like, didn't get in you like in women and stuff like that kind of girlfriend and wife you're looking for. I put down certain things, and I think all the girls sort of had those, had all those sort of characteristics and lights, so that sort of made it a bit more, a bit easier. It was more when you meet them. It's more whether it really sort of there's something there or not to go off because at the end of the day, all the girls would have fitted sit it in fine on the farm. It's just whether we're a match or not pretty much so, and yeah to whoever we've hit it off with or not, and whoever you're attracted to and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: It is tough.
Speaker 3: It's because it's so much in such a short amount of time, and you're like, what am I going to do?
Speaker 2: It is a good problem to have. I'm done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean you do say that. In one of the episodes, you know, one of the other farmers is and how are you going you and you sort of go, well, these ladies are hot. Yeah, he looks like a pig and shit, I mean that's not the right term for it. I'm trying to look for a farmaty.
Speaker 2: That line when I was on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably wrong, probably wrong, But you know, I guess for me as a person watching this show, I always wonder whether or not you can establish whether or not you have a connection with someone straight away, Like when you get an anchie, she'll sit down with someone. Could you work out pretty much straight away from that how it was going to play out? Like did you just know there's no connection here, so I'm moving you to the side. How did you work that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think it does take a little bit.
Speaker 3: Obviously you see them and you're like, she's pretty or whatever, and so there is a bit of a I sort of push out a side because you don't want to get sort of blinded by that, and then watch actually talked to them.
Speaker 2: Within the first.
Speaker 3: Few minutes you really know whether they're for you or not when just a certain things you talk about questions are.
Speaker 2: How they answer and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's pretty important, like living where I live.
Speaker 2: And stuff like that, and where they come from as well.
Speaker 3: I think their backgrounds like well, to be honest, I thought they're all going to be all city girls if I come into it, so to have a couple of farm goals and that was very surprised. So it's like you sort of it's hard to like sort of look past them the country girls in a way because it's like you've got already got so much in common and they speak so much better well.
Speaker 1: With some of the girls being thrown in there that are from sort of growing up in farm areas, they seem to sort of have a leg up, you know, on on the others that were from the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they definitely do.
Speaker 3: And it definitely tough one because yeah, they got they've got that bit of advantage. But I'd saying that too, like it it's all about that, Like it's just because they've got the farm advantage doesn't really mean they're the right one for you or not. So yeah, you get to sort of forget about that and really get to know them who they are, and takes a little bit longer, I think, and they haven't got that sort of farm edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, background, I don't know if I see oh minor shopping that leg up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, at the end of the day, I think when.
Speaker 3: You get give enough time with them and you have a bit of a you have a pretty good idea.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bit like.
Speaker 3: Anything, like you meet someone and you're like, oh, I really like this person, like they're they're great or whatever, so it's not too bad.
Speaker 1: What are your deal break is? Because Farmer Burt sent this check home, right, and Farmer Burt sent her home because she was sort of causing some drama. I mean, she came full credit to her, she came up to him and pleaded her case and said what she thought was going on, and Burt just was like, oh, no, I think you're the problem and send her home. And I was wondering, have you got deal breakers like that? I mean, Farmer Burt's like, Oh, this this chick just I can't work out if she's wrong or right, but she seems like she's the drama. I've got to I've got to send her packing.
Speaker 2: That's definitely do break for me.
Speaker 3: If there's the drama going on, also does append but like I do not, I'm not.
Speaker 2: A big span of drama at all. I can't stay clear of it at all times.
Speaker 1: I was going to say to you, the thing that's really funny about this, though, is I set up a maid of mine with two girls. Right there were very different women. One of them is like, loves a drink, loves to go out, have a night on the town, and she's a bit of drama. And then I had this other friend who's got a really nice job, lovely chick, like really the sort of chick you'd want to take home to your mum. And my friend didn't want the nice one. Like my friend, I couldn't sell her to him. And so like, I think there are some guys out there that you know, don't mind if I sto girl.
Speaker 2: That's definitely true. Some people do love it, which that's not me.
Speaker 3: Like it does if you don't mind a little bit of a bit of five, But like, you don't want someone that's going to be an act of trouble make especially in the setting were in with all the girls and it's tough for everybody and laughing.
Speaker 2: You need to somebody.
Speaker 3: Stirring them up and pause it because it's long hours and stuff like that, and you don't really want to be dealing with things you should have to be dealing with on That's how I sufought anyways, Luckily I was lucky enough not to have that, so but that's definitely one of my deal breakers.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I'm not a big drama guy.
Speaker 3: I like to speak cruising and stuff like that, and I got a big.
Speaker 2: Of deal breakers. No horse girl, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, that one gets me. There was I can't remember if it's you now, but there was someone one of the farmers gets this very horsey girl in the first week and she looks more interested in the horse than she is in the farmer. Now, I can't remember who this is. The viewers will come for me, but I was like, oh, she's got to go. I can't know. Hilarious. So look in the first you get you get this challenge in the first week, which is that you have to pick two girls to take on a date. And that must have been a really hard process for you because you knew when you were picking them that you were going to have to send one of them home. So you picked Anna and Kara for this double day. How did you go about doing that? Did you feel like both of those girls could easily go home and that's how you picked them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was a pretty tough situation. That is very early on, Like I barely even had a chance to have a.
Speaker 3: Decent conversation with Daniel really because it's just so for long. But yeah, it was a good opportunity to get to know a bit better. And so it was gone on and sort of had with Cara, sort of I'm not really sure about it.
Speaker 2: She was a little bit younger and stuff.
Speaker 3: Like that, and then with Anna it was sort of scanned office, I suppose.
Speaker 2: And it's a bit hard to tell you interested or not.
Speaker 1: And well you talk, yeah, you talk about being friend zoned, and I actually think that Anna is stunning, like a really beautiful and not to say anything different about Kara, but I did just look and think Anna was quite striking and quite confident with who she was. And then when you started talking about being friend zoned, I started to think maybe you'd been friend zoned in the past and that was triggering something for you. So I just wondered, is that something that's happened to you in the past.
Speaker 2: I speak for most blogs have all been friends at some point. Okay, true, yeah, yeah, I mistake.
Speaker 1: I mean Anna's cute. I don't know. I just kept looking at Anna and just thinking she's a she's a good looking woman, like she's I think she's a good match for you. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see how that evolves over the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah we will, Yeah she is. That's a great girl.
Speaker 1: Anna say to you that she was struggling to read you a little bit. I was wondering, are you hard to read? Would you consider yourself to be someone who's an open book? Do you maybe take a little bit more time to get used to someone, To be honest.
Speaker 2: I thought I was a bit of an open book and I was quite easy to read.
Speaker 3: But I soon learned that I was not gott I got a few comments to say that I'm quite hard to read, but.
Speaker 2: That's probably because of the whole situation too.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to be favoring somebody and making the other girls feel like they didn't have a chance and make them feel bad, so I think I probably did pull back a bit, but it was probably the best in the end really because yeah, I understand myself. I was in that situation and it's a bible was like just favoring someone the whole time.
Speaker 2: I just feel like I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Want to be there and the like, even when you did have time together, it makes it hard. It's like, oh, he's just interested in her own thing. So I was like, well, I don't want to do that to them because I wanted to know them all.
Speaker 2: So it's probably I got a favorite to do with that, but yeah, generally I'm not I'm well, I don't think so. Anyways.
Speaker 1: It's not a normal situation though, do you know what I mean? Like as in, it's not like you've just met someone down the street or on a night out. You know, you're filming a TV show. So look, there's just so much going on for you in your mind about how unnatural that situation is, and then to try and be natural must be hard, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely. It's definitely tough, Like they're very unusual and it's tough for me.
Speaker 3: The other girls, they all the girls sounded really hard because yeah, it's sort of luck. Everybody's sort are all friends, but they're all half in the same bloke. You're got to sort of tread on eggshells a bit, and it gets it gets hard and hard as you go along, so especially especially on a farm, and made it really really hard for the girls.
Speaker 2: They get really really hard for everybody but producers.
Speaker 1: So that I go to you hang on a second and give you the wind up. Or do they try and say to you before you start talking to them, maybe don't tell them the footy scores or you know, like how do they go about making sure that you were establishing the right sort of connections with these girls and getting it to happen faster than maybe it naturally would if you're at the pub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose the producers sort of know that they know a lot more what's going on than I do, so they would give.
Speaker 2: You a bit of a chip every now and then.
Speaker 3: Like sort of maybe give you them an idea what's going on, or they you there's something.
Speaker 2: To talk about. But they're pretty good really, Like I.
Speaker 3: Think obviously I would have missed a few things, but I think I picked up on most things for a bit.
Speaker 2: But they're always there.
Speaker 3: To help you, give you the help and hand take times. It doesn't go astraight.
Speaker 1: Well, next week you're all getting together for this first social catchup. The ad looks really exciting. It looks like something that's definitely going to go down there. Looks like some of the girls might not behave as well. What's it like once you get into a group setting where there's all the other farmers and there's all the other girls. Does that sort of curd all their brains a little bit? And do they go a little bit more wild in that kind of a scenario? Like, how did your girls behave when getting together for that first social situation?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I really enjoy getting together to the social things all all our farmers.
Speaker 2: It was really nice to sort of catch up. So it's been going on right top thing. I think my girls they ham were pretty good.
Speaker 3: I think we're definitely the boring farm man of everybody.
Speaker 2: Else, the wholesome fun, the wholesome far Yeah, yeah, we're not. We're not boring. We're just when it comes to drama, we're just not. We're just not the farm we're the fun farms. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was very interesting sitting there and saying everything that was going on around as we're just like, are we meant to do something or we sort of missed the memo?
Speaker 2: Are we think.
Speaker 1: The whole time you're filming something like this, you'd be thinking, all my parents are going to watch this, my you know, my siblings might watch this. You know, I guess there's some of that to consider. You know, you don't want to act a damn fall on this show when you know everyone's going to watch it.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. Remember grandparents and I watching it, so I think it's going to be above board. Yeah, that's my night.
Speaker 1: There, just having a view at party with my grandparents whilst I'm looking up.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, but one of them coming up.
Speaker 1: Then some flowers enjoy the show. Don't even turn up, I would say. Before I'll let you go, I wanted to say, you know this show, the success of this show comes down to us guessing who you're going to pick, and you know this is something that's already happened. How are you going to go trying to keep all of this a secret? That's my concern. Are you good at keeping secrets? And are people already asking you what happens in the end?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm pretty good at keeping secrets on the top person.
Speaker 3: When someone will tell me something and they say, don't say anything, I don't.
Speaker 2: Tell anybody or whatever, and I will.
Speaker 3: Literally forget all about it, and I think, actually missed Annie. I'm just like, I don't want to spoil it for well, because there's obviously people who really love it, but most people do.
Speaker 2: And then because a lot of people.
Speaker 3: At home and family, friends and stuff, Yeah, they're always asking me what happened, what happened, when happened.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, it's working. You tell one person, I tell everybody. And I was like, I just don't want to. I don't want to be I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Spoil it for somebody who really really wants to watch it, because there's nothing worse than watching something he really now what happened.
Speaker 2: At the end.
Speaker 3: So you don't want to be saying yeah, and that's yeah, I think I think it mean.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, stucky, they're not telling you nothing.
Speaker 1: Just just wait for everyone to watch the show and just say you know, that's always the tagline, isn't it. Just keep watching?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Pretty much?
Speaker 3: Yees amount of people I'm told to just watch it, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Let's get it on a T shirt. A T shirt. Look, the last ask everybody who joins the podcast is what is something from behind the scene, something that you know we won't get a chance to see, kind of like a behind the scenes secret or a fun story from your time filming the show, something we're allowed to talk about as.
Speaker 3: Well, Oh I've got something, but we can't talk about it. We had a million slides, it's pretty plenty flask fish and going on, I stop doing it and I'm like, well, I kind of put the didn't now you know?
Speaker 1: Did they dounse you with like more teen or something. Did they try and get the bug off on you before you go on? You know, in front of the cameras. Was there a process to stop the flyers from landing on you?
Speaker 2: Not really do it at night time?
Speaker 3: I think actually one thing probably, Yeah, one thing we did get to do was on It was actually one of the it was one of the house producers because he got their day or side before all the everybody else showed up. And I took him for a bit of a farm tour and yeah, because he's obviously a city boy and really good bloke blockie and we went He's I think one day to look at the ghats, because we've got a heap of goats to that.
Speaker 2: So I took him, took him.
Speaker 3: Out to the paddic and we're driving to all the goats and it's like they're having their kidding.
Speaker 2: They were kidding at time. The people little kids are on.
Speaker 3: The air and I was like, oh, I think there's one over you're having trouble.
Speaker 2: So we went over and there was this little one over there lying down. We put and he didn't know what was going on. I'm like, just hole, I was playing down.
Speaker 3: I just hold it and had having trouble, given birth, pulled the pulled the baby out of.
Speaker 2: It, out of her and yeah. Now he was a bit shocked. He's like, what what's just happened. I'm like, oh, here it is. I pass to a little covered in alf of earth and he's like, oh god.
Speaker 1: How long it works in television? Probably not hear most people's lawns these days. Dustin. I just want to say, you know, you're such a genuine character, and you know, it's been so lovely to talk to you, and I'm really enjoying watching you on the show. So I'm looking forward to watching the season and I really do hope you if ID love throughout this whole experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And it's good to wake up and have a laugh in the morning. Let me tell you. I have to always try and stop myself from laughing along with people because no one wants to hear that.
Speaker 2: I go wake up and have a laughing more. And that's why I'm there doing what i'm doing.
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're a legend. I'll let you go enjoy chatting to the media throughout this season, and yeah, good luck with it all. I'll be watching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much. I'll be enjoying you. Have a good day out