Speaker 1: I Heart podcasts, hear more gold podcast playlists and listen live on the free I Heart app. Got anything good?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. Two weeks time, two weeks today, Big day for me. Super excited. The book that I've been working on for the last couple of years finally comes out on the twenty ninth of July, is called Unscript The Radical Act of Being Yourself, and.
Speaker 2: I'm having a first ever.
Speaker 1: This is the fifth book I've written, and I've been asked before to have book launch parties and I've always said no, I haven't felt like it was the I don't know, this wouldn't it didn't really appeal to me. But this time the radio station is doing a lovely thing for me. They're throwing me a book launch party, which is a really kind thing to do, and we're inviting you. So starting tomorrow we'll start to give away invites. About eighty of you can be. There's going to be in Melbourne and then next month I do one in Sydney. But the first one is going to be on Monday, the twenty seventh of July. Were going to a beautiful venue as well. Three hundred and sixty degree views of the city as well. And Rio is actually one of the In fact, you're the first person on the team to read the book. I mean obviously you were. You had a long train of long and long flights. You started reading the book.
Speaker 3: Yes, I've almost finished, mate, it is. It is so brilliant.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 3: It is not a book about even though it's obviously a book about conversations, it's not a book about, you know, being a brilliant radio host or being you know, a great broadcaster.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I wouldn't go to write that we got a time wrong an hour ago, and I've been doing it twenty eight years.
Speaker 2: I mean, who screws that up?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: It's about, hopefully you'll get in the sense of what it's about.
Speaker 1: It's about the joy of connection, storytelling, what what's happening moment as we're drifting apart from each other, the damage of that. And my aim for the book really is that halfway through it you get excited about having conversations in an easier way with people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so much of the book is about getting out of your own way. It's not about adding more things onto your plate or things to do it's actually taking things off your plate, getting out of your own way, and being able to have better conversations, better connections, better relationships.
Speaker 4: I actually noticed it helping me.
Speaker 3: I got a haircut on Sunday and I was, you know, thinking about the book, and you know the way you engage with people. I had the best chat I've had with someone in some time.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the impacts I want from it. I haven't.
Speaker 1: I was telling my wife and kids yesterday because they were going, is Rio enjoying it? I said, yeah, you came in Monday, was talking about it, and I said, the thing that I can't stop thinking about is you said you were surprised how vulnerable and personally is I mean, I've put everything into that book.
Speaker 4: Yes, I like because it really is.
Speaker 3: You know, the way that you see the world, it's awesome, very you know, some very personal and vulnerable moments that you've chosen.
Speaker 4: To share with everyone.
Speaker 3: And truly I was reading and I was so proud of you. I was like, Wow, I don't know if I would have the courage.
Speaker 4: To put this out into the world.
Speaker 3: And the fact that you've done it and it's in print and it's brilliant it's so wise, it's got so much heart to it. I think anyone, no matter who you are, no matter what your job is, no matter what point in your life.
Speaker 2: You're a lovely thing to say I thank thank you.
Speaker 4: That will get so much out of it. I'm so excited for this to.
Speaker 2: Be in the world. I'll tell you what it is. It's a book.
Speaker 1: Actually, you write at a certain age. I'm fifty three, and that's why I wanted to write this book. It's like I started to think about doing this when I was interviewing Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: A couple years ago.
Speaker 1: He brought a book out for the first time, his own book, and it was a lot of his routines, and midway through the interview, I suddenly realized, I think he's write this because he's of a certain age and he wants to leave something behind of permanence about.
Speaker 2: What did you do, what did you learn? What did you with your time here?
Speaker 1: And so I've been lucky to do this incredible job for twenty eight years now in two different countries, do different parts of the world, and I've learned so much about connections, storytelling and speaking. I felt like what a lovely thing is to write that down. My daughters will want to read it as well. What a lovely thing to have. This is what I've been lucky enough to learn and to pass on to people. I felt like it was the responsibility.
Speaker 3: It is if it really comes through like that, and I think, I think the impact is going to have on people.
Speaker 1: You seem almost surprised that it was wise. One of my daughters read a chapter and went, well, it's really surprisingly wise and that I shot, went, what do you mean? And she really she'd upset me and she went, well, no, no, I mean, I mean, I guess you would have wisdom you're fifty three, but.
Speaker 2: I think you're saying we haven't. We don't see a lot of it. But the book you is hidden in there is a wise man.
Speaker 3: We spend half an hour at every day doing like monkey bands or something. Yes, I know there was a little bit surprising how deep and saved the wisdom was, but it is there.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, Well, I'm glad you enjoyed the book, so you can pre order it still for another two weeks. A book TOPEO on Amazon or dimis're going to be on to pre order it, and everyone is pre ordering. It's still the office Stoll there for the next two weeks. If you pre order it and you send me the receipt Christian at Christian O'Connell dot com today, you get ultimately invited as well to a YouTube live show I'm doing in three weeks time at home with Christian. But starting tomorrow we're going to give away the invites to come and join us unscript and uncork. You can have a glass of wine and Rio is going to be doing the Q and A. They asked me, who did I want to do the Q and A? And out of everyone I've worked with in my career, you are someone who I've seen go from joining this team. I hired you when you had no radio experience. You were hired to write a copy for social media posts. It was very clear when you lied that you were listening to the show, you hadn't heard a single show. But I just love this guy swagger and the audacity to lie to my face. Where this guy's got the core skills that you need to carve out a career and breakfast radio. And I've seen your journey to now being with me front and center on the show from where you were six or seven years ago. You're someone actually living proof about what happens when you do start to move closer to the true version of yourself and what the book is talking about.
Speaker 3: Unscript definitely, Matam, I'm truly honored to be there for that not and to be part of the Q and A and for me like coming through the show all of these things that I've learnt from you over the last seven years.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you have everything. Just keep learn the good stuff. What are the other stuff?
Speaker 3: So much of that comes through the book as well, and it was it's really really special.
Speaker 1: All right, it's cooled on script and we start to give away the invites tomorrow
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell show on Podcast