Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Viv Christie, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Matrolop, writer for oz open dot com. And Viv, why are we sitting down this week with Andre Sar.
Speaker 1: We're sitting down with Andre Matt because he is a four time Olympian, including in his home nation of Brazil. He's had some great experiences in tennis and he continues to do so through some of our really innovative events.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were lucky enough to chat to him. I wasn't here for this interview, so I'm really looking forward to hearing it now.
Speaker 1: Andre. Thank you for joining us today on the sit Down. Let's start by maybe you could tell us where we find you at the moment.
Speaker 3: Oh, hello, thanks for inviting me. I'm at home right now in real in Brazil.
Speaker 1: Great. It's obviously a very busy time in sport. A lot of guys on the Olympics, and you participated in four Olympic Games. Yeah, what are your memories of those?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's it's first of all, it's just a pleasure for its ad a dream for any athlete to participate in the Olympics and to be part of four of them was great. And probably the last one was the most special one because it was at home in Rio, you know, in front of all I'm all my family and family, and that's probably the one, I mean Olympics that it's always going to be so special because it was at home. But I you know, the others were great as well. My first one was in Athens in Greece. That's two thousand and four. You know, I was very young kid, just just happy to be there. I did the whole thing, you know, stay in the Olympic village, she do, you know, go with with the delegation and they're opening ceremony, and spend as much time as I could with other athletes that we knew, because I mean I was I was young, and these guys were superstars. And now we had the number one player in the world with Gustavo Quirity and he was a Zealian player as well, so that was also special. A lot of eyes were on the on the tennis team at that time, and it was just great. It was a great time, very special to be part of it. The first one. You always get the goosebumps when the first because I didn't get in initially, so I on the first when the first lets came out, I wasn't in. And then I made it in and and it was it was just such a great surprise, and I was just so happy to be there. That was that made it so special. The second one in Beijing it was also great. I mean, the infrastructure there was was amazing. The Chinese people were so friendly and happy to welcome all the athletes, and uh, you know, being the second one playing doubles with with Marcello Mellow at the time, and we felt like we were we had a good chance, a decent chance to to to go for metal. It didn't happen, but it was it was just a different mindset approaching that Olympics that we were so focused on. It was just not about you know, going to the open ceremony or hanging out the other pig village all the time. We were much more focused. And then the third one in twenty twelve in London at Wimbledon, it was that's very different as well, because usually you just go to a tennis venue somewhere. That's that's what happened in Athens and in Beijing and then to play at Wimbledon, it was it was just different. We were you know, we knew the place, we knew our way around, but at the same time, it was so different to walk in there and see, you know, the whole place dressed up in purple, which you know, and then everyone and then everyone can you know, wear the team uniforms and not the whites that you're so used to. So that was a little shock, but at the same time it was a fun experience. We had a tough draw. We drew the Brian brothers in the first round on so it wasn't I mean, they were the best team at the time and maybe the best team ever today and it wasn't you know, it was quick I guess, uh to lose in the first round, but you know it was. It was a close match. It was good, It was fun and being part of the Brazilian team is always special.
Speaker 1: Of course you have a very unique experience and that you've got to play the Olympics in your home nation. How much does having an Olympic event change a city.
Speaker 3: It changes a lot. I mean, especially you know at that time I did not live in Rio, which was I do now. It's that I've been living here for the last four years, but you you certainly can see the change. You can see the vibe is completely different being being Brazilian and being in real many times before because we have an eighty five hundred here and UH and then you could just feel the atmosphere was so different. A lot of foreigners, a lot of you know, people coming to see and UH and our sport in tennis, you individual, but when you're part of the team, and then when everyone is just you can tell that the people there, they're not tennis fans. They just wanted to cheer for for a Brazilian or a Brazilian team, or a Brazilian pair or Brazilian player. So the vibe and the atmosphere was was so different, and the city was buzzy. It was buzzing, even even though in every Olympic, you know, the village is far away, sometimes the events are far away from from the center of the city, but you could still field the vibe and the TV and the and the coverage here for the broadcasting is it's so intense, So then it's yeah, it was, it was very very special.
Speaker 1: I feel like you've actually just as answered my next question actually, but I'll ask it anyway. Tennis at the Olympics it shouldn't be there.
Speaker 3: It's a tough one. It's a tough one. I think yes. I think the straight answer is yes, it's it's a it's a very special moment for for any athlete and it's a massive deal for for the sport to be part of the Olympics. So so then the answer is yes. Now if we go deeper and say, is it more important then a Grand Slam or is it more important the gold medal? I think opinions vary depends on how you grew up and the culture you're in, but they are both definitely very special.
Speaker 1: And what in your view makes team tennis different.
Speaker 3: Just the individuality of the sport, Like you have to figure everything out on your own, you have to make decisions, you have to you know, challenge yourself all the time, and then when it goes into a team environment like the Olympics, it becomes I think more relaxed environment to be honest, because we're so used to being responsible for everything, to having to figure out the whole thing, our whole journey throughout every tournament. But once we get there, we have a team manager. We have other teammates part of the of the competition as well, and that and that makes it special. But in ten it's just the petitiveness, you know, like being out there on your own for hours and hours having to figure everything out. That's that's what makes it so special.
Speaker 1: Team events have evolved in recent years. We now have the Live A Cup and the United Cup. How much, in your view, has that changed the outlook on team events.
Speaker 3: I think it changed to a poitive thing. I think. I mean the experience we had with the United Cup, especially getting the feedback from players working that I work at those events, the team bond, it's completely different. No, I mean it never happened before that a man and a woman could compete equal terms at one competition, you know, everything the same. So that's that made the really special for the sport. And I can tell you like the Italians or the Germans or even the Greeks, they're like and we didn't really watch each other's matches like throughout the year. We are from the same country, we probably share a lot of the same tournaments all along the year, but you will never disclose. And all of a sudden you have Paulini watching very teeny play and and and you know it's Vera Evan Kerber there the week after they go to Melbourne and they're like sometimes practicing with each other, and that bond really came together because of the of the United Cup. So that's that's another positive thing and something special for the sport and for the players and a.
Speaker 1: Great experience for the fans as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, Oh yeah, for sure, for sure. I mean I remember some matches we watched Greece against Italy I think last year, and it was it was like a Billy Jean King Cup match or a Davis Cup match, like they were so intense. In Australia. It brings that because there are so many internationals in foreigners in Australia and in communities from every single country that that's that played the United Cup. So the fans were so excited to be able to see and those plays compete as a team.
Speaker 1: For sure. Looking back on your tennis journey, what was it. I know I believe that you followed your brother into tennis, but you know, how did you start your professional journey?
Speaker 3: My professional journey, well, that was that's a long story, I'll make it short. When I was fourteen, I moved to America to go to tennis Academy in Florida. And then, of course, when I finished high school, I had the decision to well, do I go to college or do I try to become a professional tennis player. And sitting down, I remember sitting down with my parents and making that tough decision, and I said, listen, let me let me try the professional way, and I can try. I made a deal with my dad, like, you know, let's try for one year. If things are moving in the right direction, we'll keep going. If not, then I'll I'll turn around and go to college. But then this is nineteen ninety six. And then ninety seven I started playing better, and then things started to connect, and then I never stopped since I'm happy. My dad kept his end of the deal and he said, I just keep going, keep going with your professional career. And that's that's how basically how it started. Then that first year, I finished in the top two hundred in the world in singles and start playing you know, bigger tournament, start playing the qualifying of Grand Slams. And then yeah, I never never really turned back. And then when I was thirty one, I made the move to play doubles only, and that extended my career to another eight nine years, which was which was great as well to have that longevity.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great story. From that sort of decision and that conversation with your dad, you went on to reach a Wimbledon quarter final in singles and in doubles, you were a top twenty player with seven titles. What do you look back on most fondly.
Speaker 3: Well, I just think it's it's the relationships and the people that I I got to know through tennis. No I understood right away, like, not not right away, but later on in my career, Like the platform the tennis gives you, as you know, as an ability to to make friends and to network with people from all over the world and from all different cultures. So that that's something that I really when I look back, I said, I'm so glad I got involved. You know, I was there playing tennis, competing and having my career as a tennis player. But at the same time I cherished so much that the friendships and the relationships and the people I got to know along along that journey. So I think that's the most special thing that I keep.
Speaker 1: That journey of course continues for you. What what's been your journey since retiring from the tour. No that you stayed in the sport.
Speaker 3: I would say I was lucky enough to be recruited by TA when I when I when I stopped, I retired in my last season full season was twenty seventeen. Twenty eighteen, I played a couple of tournaments, but then after that in twenty nineteen, I started with with Tia on display relations job that I still have today, which is it's challenging, but it's great at the same time, I still get to be in the tennis world around the people that I know, and a job that I feel I can do, which you know, is to bring the play just closer to tennis Australia, keep the communications going with them, the relationships going, so then we can improve, we can improve our events in Australia.
Speaker 1: What are you most looking forward to over the next few months and leading into the Australian Open.
Speaker 3: I think the whole summer of tennis again. I mean United Cup is getting is getting better and better every year, so we always look forward to that. I mean, I think we got the format right this year, so I think it's there's a massive chance that is going to be even better in twenty twenty five, and then all of the other challenges that we have and exciting things coming up Opening week now, it's going to be something great that we look forward to, you know, the week of Qualities and then the big show. The Big Show and the AO means every year, Craig wants us to become better and to deliver a better experience to players and that's the plan. And then just to make to make them feel so comfortable and happy to be in Australia and be able to compete the best way that they can.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, thank you, Andre. That sounds like a great place for us to finish. It's been really great chatting with you today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thanks again for inviting me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Andre, really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Well we've congratulations. That was a great interview. I really enjoyed listening to that. I got to chat to Andre last year at Roland Garross when his fellow Brazilian Beatrice had Admired made her historic run to the semi finals, and I remember just being really struck by how passionate he was about tennis and him reliving kind of her journey in his connection to that and that passion came through in the chat today as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, Matt. I really enjoyed talking to Andrea. I think he's built some really special relationships through tennis and we're lucky to have him still involved in the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. As always, we'll be back again next Monday with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime, don't forget to listen to John and the team this Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 1: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review.
Speaker 2: See you next week, Matt, See then, vib