Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. They're by Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. This week on the podcast, I have had the top three queens from RuPaul's Drag Race down Under season two, and on today's episode, I will hopefully give the fans a better insight into Hannah Conder's resume and help you answer that question, is Hannah the winner of the second series of down Under? This Saturday is already the finale, and while the series has been a wild ride, I think the finale is going to be an excellent celebration of three very very popular queens who truly deserve to be there. Hannah Conda, for a very long time was a standout from the Perth drag circuit. However, She quickly outgrew the Golden State and in twenty fifteen moved to Sydney, where she cemented her superstar status by being the only queen to have ever won both the Rising Star and Entertainer of the Year at the Drag Industry Variety Awards in the same year. Hannah has been consistent throughout the competition and fantastic to watch. There's just something very polished and on purpose with everything that she has done this season. We will talk about why she nearly didn't apply for the series, her connection with Molly Poppins, why she couldn't be bothered with the drama this season, and of course, what she will do with her win if she snatches that crown. Plus for the last time, we will play my shady old lady game with a few surprising answers. Let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Hannah Konda from RuPaul's Drag Race down Under season two to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: If the universe says it's meant to be, it will happen. Canaconda, you came in, you knew exactly what you wanted to do.
Speaker 3: If I was to take out the crown I just want to, you know, make sure that I do people.
Speaker 2: Proud Canaconda, Chante Eustaf. I do say that drag has saved my life many.
Speaker 3: Time walking down the runway. We are serving Queen of dreams and Queen of nightmares.
Speaker 2: Realness.
Speaker 3: I'm really glad to come to the other side and I've got the best support. Which queen will be crowned down under next Drag Superstar. Or just before I auditioned for Drag Race, I was in a really really bad space.
Speaker 1: Hi there, Hanaconda, how the hell are you?
Speaker 2: Ah, Darlana, I am going so good. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I've lost my voice. I was in the Brokenheill Festival this weekend, so I'm recuperating from that and it was a wild time wild.
Speaker 1: You're I think you're in a friend of mine snapchats. Oh no, not snapchats. What is it? Oh my god? I sound so old. Joe Crazy was there and he had a video of you. Yes, there we go.
Speaker 3: There, there's the Instagram Instagram stories. That's what you're looking for their dalent.
Speaker 1: I sound so old. Anyway, congragulations are making it to the top three. You must be so proud.
Speaker 3: Oh Dan, I'm so overwhelmed and excited and it is. I am very very proud of myself and proud of the girls, and yeah, we did it.
Speaker 2: We made it to the end.
Speaker 1: Throughout the series, I have to ask everyone if they were happy with the way they came across, you know, but I was watching on the Instagram lives, you know, people are referring to it as their edit. Are you happy with your edit?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Overwhelmingly, You're like really happy with how I've been edited and the things that were there. I think my one thing that I wish I got a little bit more of was just a little bit more story about like me. I feel like, you know, they've showcased me like being like funny and and like, you know, doing good at the challenges and drag and stuff like that, and I just I wish we just dove a little bit deeper into who I was, because I shared a lot with them, and I just didn't feel like, I don't know, maybe my cat maybe that's what they just needed for me. I don't know how it all comes together, but that was the one thing I wish I got a little bit more story about who I am as a person outside of the drag.
Speaker 1: But That's the thing that's interesting is that you and Molly Poppins. I was really interested about your backstory more so than anyone else's. I mean, I did already know more Aboutquing Kong before I watched the series, but for you and Molly, I just was like, I want to know, I want to know how did you find drag?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's those things that like, I just don't feel we got to explore as much in the show. And like I sort of came to drag, you know, about thirteen years ago, back in Perth. I started and it was one of those things where I was in a friendship group with a at drag queen who had just started and names Ruby Jules, and I was, you know, going to the shows with her and supporting her, and she's like, you need to give it a go, and I was like, okay, one night, I'll do it one night only that's it. So she put me into drag and I went to the Court Hotel on an amateur drag night on a Wednesday night.
Speaker 2: I did my first show and I did wear my kiss by the sugar.
Speaker 3: Bags and I was using it to tell a boy that I liked him, and like I went up and I kissed him on the cheek and I thought it was really great. And anyway, that relationship never went anywhere, but the drag took on, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the drag.
Speaker 3: Relationship all worked out well, and I was like, oh my god, I love this more than anyone else. So yeah, I kind of just fell in love with it and I just love being able to perform. And it became a therapy for me, to be honest, you know, I've had a journey with the yielding mental health and for me, I just you know, I've always had, you know, to live alongside depression and anxiety, so more so pression. Anxiety has been a new thing, but depression was one of those ones. I was like, I just found it was a way to channel all of those emotions and those feelings that I was having into a space where I could share that story through music and through performing and kind of find, you know, relationships with people like I feel that like that's how I've been feeling, and it kind of allowed the feeling to just alleviate my body and it was just like it was just helping me express what I needed to like to have put out in the world.
Speaker 2: When I couldn't find the words for it.
Speaker 3: So that's why I do say that Dragon has saved my life many times, if I'm honest. Was Yeah, it's always been that sort of safe space where I find that I can alleviate those emotions.
Speaker 1: I think it's share your story. When we see the people that we idolize on television being real, it helps us feel seen. It helps us so much. And if you're willing to talk to people about your struggles of depression and anxiety, I guarantee you that currency with the audience is going to be there for you because it takes a lot of courage to be able to do.
Speaker 3: It, absolutely, And that's the thing that like, I talked about it quite a bit, and there was actually a chat when my self Clean and Spank You were talking about our ads, And just before I auditioned for Drag Race, I was in a really, really bad space, and I think, like a lot of people, like the lockdowns and being isolated from people really just took did a number on me in the last few years. I just and it was one of those that usually my depression comes in waves and I can kind of write it and I'm like, Okay, she's here for a little bit and she'll be constant. But this one wasn't budging. This one just did not move. And I wasn't going to audition for the season. To be honest, I had lost love of drag. Even drag wasn't pulling me out of it. And that's when I knew I was in like a rotten place. And my partner, he said, you know what, you need to just get yourself together.
Speaker 2: We are literally in a lockdown. You'd have nothing else to do. Film it.
Speaker 3: If you like it, send it. If you don't like it, don't send it. Just do it because you need to like do something about your mind right now. And it was great and I did it because it got me inspired again. I was having fun and I sent off the audition tape because I was proud of it by the end of it, and I was like, ah, I got that zest of love back. And I was like, you know, if it's if I can really sort of hone in on these, like you know, this newfound love of drag, I could get on the show and do something with it. And I said, if the universe says it's meant to be, it'll happen.
Speaker 2: And with the universe, she said, yes, let's go.
Speaker 1: People who are suffering from depression, the commonality is that we always feel like this is how it will be forever. We can't see out of it. And when we held story like yourself, it's the proof and the pudding that we have to keep going because things can change.
Speaker 3: Like the tunnel that you get suck in just seems like it's completely out of darkness.
Speaker 2: And I found the light through doing drag Race.
Speaker 3: And then when I got home after filming, I think, you just you burn yourself out to because you just give everything. You give everything to the to the to the journey, and I, you know, and I dipped back in again to a bit of a depression and I wasn't a great again and I just I just couldn't sort of again got stuck, and I was like, what if I I've just done something so magical and wonderful, yet I'm here again and I couldn't figure it out, and I was wondering what's going on and my anxiety was through the roof. But I was like, you know what, and again it just got me, gave me the courage myself to pick myself up and go, you know, what we're going to get through this. So you know, I got my mental health plan back on board, you know, started going back to therapy. You know, I got on the right medication and again, I just I pulled myself back out and I'm even in a better and stronger place now than when I was, even just after the show. If it's been a rollercoaster, but I'm really really proud of myself to where I am, and I feel like through this, like through watching it all back, it's been quite cathartic and I've been able to, you know, to actually be proud of myself and you know, go, yes, I did that. And I really thought that, like watching it back was going to be really hard and maybe trigger something again, but it's done the opposite. It's actually just alleviated me, and it's pushed me to a place where I've kind of been able to not worry about what the world thinks about me, not worry about the opinions of others, and it's just all the things I worry about making sure that I'm happy. My family was happy, my heart was happy, and I'm putting out good things into the world and that's all I can do. So It's been a wild journey and a wild ride, but I'm so incredibly happy where I'm at now.
Speaker 2: And I look back at that moment when.
Speaker 3: I got back and I started to slip back into that sort of depression and anxiety, and I was like, oh my god, Like I was on the in a really again, a really bad place, and I look back and I was like, oh my god, You've just got to like fight through that forest. You know, that forested is dark, scary and awful, but the second you push through it, you start realizing.
Speaker 2: It's not that bad.
Speaker 3: It's not that bad, but you have to kind of lift yourself up.
Speaker 2: And I'm very lucky with my partner. I'm very honest with him.
Speaker 3: When I start feeling that, I'm like, babe, she's having a moment, like, you know, let me talk, like and I like to talk about it.
Speaker 2: So I once I start talking about it, I'm like, oh, so yeah.
Speaker 3: I find like you always got to have that one person in your life that you can just say I'm not okay, because naturally I'm very happy and bubbly, and everybody sort of expects that all the time from me, and the reality is it's not the case. Behind the scenes, and I'm very very good at putting it on when I need to. And that's the scary part. Like I think the second I stop doing that and like, oh, you know what, I'm having a bad day.
Speaker 2: I'm having a tough time at the moment.
Speaker 3: You know, I found a lot of comfort with a lot of other people and then very understanding, And I think you're just going to have trust in the people you love that they will be understanding and they're not going to run away from you.
Speaker 1: Coming off the back of a show like this is what people don't realize. When you tell yourself not to feel a certain way, that's a breeding ground for more turbulence in your own mind because you've come off through poles and you're saying to yourself, oh my god, I've just done the most amazing thing. I should be happy, you know what I mean? Telling yourself not to feel a certain way is a breeding ground for more depression.
Speaker 3: I think two things can be true at once, and you can be incredibly grateful, Like I was very very grateful for the opportunity, and I loved it at the best time, and I was on an absolute high while I was there, and I was loving it, but you know, I also still had that feeling, and I had to allow myself to be okay with those two things. You know, it wasn't me being ungrateful, or it wasn't me being unhappy with how everything went. I was very very happy about that. But it's just you know, and for those of people that do have this as a part of their experience, they will understand that you can be so proud and so excited about one thing, but then that darkness can just wash over everything and it's really hard to budge sometimes. Tis But I'm really glad I've come to the other side and I've got the best support.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I couldn't ask for better support, to be fair.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear that. You know, what do you think this will mean to you? Though? You know, to win RuPaul's Drag Race if you take this competition out, well.
Speaker 2: I already feel like I've won.
Speaker 3: If I'm honest, I've got Queen and Spanky as best friends for life, and that means more than any other prize, Like that was one of those things like and even and you know what, even the whole cast like they were friends for life. They're just brilliant, So I already feel like a winner, but if I was to take out the crown, I just want to keep, you know, make sure that I do people proud, lead with the love and kindness.
Speaker 2: I think we need more of that, and I want.
Speaker 3: To start to sort of be a bit of a champion to unite our community a little bit more. I feel over the last few years we've become quite divided, and you know, while we have a lot of acceptance and there's a lot of growth in our community outside of our own bubbles, there's still a lot of work to be done. There are still people around the world that are being persecuted for who they love or what gender they are, and I feel we can't help them if we can't be united together and stand together. And that was the one thing that when I first started going out, you know, didn't matter what political views you had, didn't matter what gender you were, didn't matter where you came from, all these things, nothing really mattered apart from the fact that we were together in these clubs and bars, and that was community.
Speaker 2: You know, you might not like someone, but if.
Speaker 3: They got hurt or they got you know, like attacked or whatever, we're all there, we rally behind them, and I don't see that as much anymore.
Speaker 2: I see that we are very divided, and I want to.
Speaker 3: Be able to sort of be that, you know, I said, I want to be the Tazan Grip to start helping to glue those holes back together and bring us back together, because we can do a lot more positive work and create a lot more positive change together.
Speaker 1: Thinking about, you know, relationships with Queen Kong and you know Molly Poppins, you know, I wanted to ask you about your relationship with Molly Hoppens because what I thought was interesting was the two of you kind of put yourselves together as like the Hobbits in a way, and there were some similarities. But I wonder whether or not it was a strength or a weakness for the two of you, because as we did as an audience compare the both of you, you kind of got stronger and Molly got a little bit into her head a little bit more so it was more noticeable the slip. I wondered how you saw that, Yeah, that's very interesting.
Speaker 3: When I was because we did the challenge together and that was where the Hobbits sort of sisters were born. And but then you know, as the competition kept going, I like, Molly and I are the best of friends and I love it a bit. But I feel like once that kind of was done, I never really like kind of tied myself to it. And I don't want to say I'm disrespectful to Molly or anything, but I was like, we're all here doing our own thing, and I just kept on going with it, and you know, when I could throw in the Hobbit thing and would be together and whatever, and if I could use it to help Molly or you know, whenever, I would do that. But for me, it was kind of like, oh, I'm going to still continue to show case in myself. And I don't think Molly necessarily tied herself into that. I just feel like, because we set that up so early, I think it just kind of was sort of thrown in there in their editing and with and with the way that the show's unfolded that you know, there was that sort of comparison always. It didn't feel like that while was there, though. That was the interesting thing. When I was there, we still felt very much individual into who we were, and you know, well, you know, our friendship was allowed to thrive. But it never felt like something that was like whoa, well, they're the Hobbits and they're versing each other.
Speaker 2: You know. It was it was very casual, like do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I felt like, maybe this is a terrible thing to admit to, but I sort of put the two of you together as if you were and I'm not speaking saying this is how everyone felt. It was for me, I kind of put you two together, and then that naturally makes you sort of compare people's.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. That's the goal of television, really, is it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So then I was kind of unfairly, I guess, comparing the two of you and holding you both to the same standard, only just because your standard rose that I then sort of was like, oh, this seems more noticeable that Molly's not doing as well anymore, I think, especially after the tourism type challenge that you did. You know, yours was just so polished and amazing, was so well done.
Speaker 2: It was that was for me, is like I was very proud of that. To be honest, I thought I was gone, but I.
Speaker 3: Made sure because they said because they mentioned about using the editors and the people that put their commercials together to give them all the notes. So I gave them everything I was. It was such a detailed rundown of what I wanted and I kind of didn't give them an option but to do it.
Speaker 2: The black swan.
Speaker 1: Do that? Just do that? Now we do that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the black swan I thought was just going to be a stock image of a swan. But when they like that was the one thing that I was like, thank you so much, and it is they made this swan move, and I was like, I didn't know the possibilities. I thought it was going to be a stock image, and I would have still I still thought it would have been funny for me to try and be hitting a stock image of a giant like swan behind me.
Speaker 2: I think that would have still been hysterical.
Speaker 3: But I think what I noticed is that, like, you know the difference between mine and like Spanky's, for instance, like everybody loves Spanky's because it was you know, it's that also very good, very very funny, like very funny, and she's got that kind of she's kind of almost like that sort of bag of chips level funny where it's like, you know, it's very you know it's very much better, but.
Speaker 2: You know, give me a chippy fuck yeah.
Speaker 3: All of that like very mine was, I think was a little bit more cerebral, if I want to say, like, I feel like it was a little bit more of a thinker. And I think that's what kind of because I know that the fans were like, it had to rub Spanky had a rub Spanky, and I felt really bad that I like, I was like, oh no, did I rub her? But then I was like, you know it for younger people, that loud camp thing is very in your face funny, whereas mine was like you had to have a little bit more of a thinker. And if you googled the locations and the things that I was talking about, everything related back to Perth.
Speaker 2: Everything that I mentioned in that it was.
Speaker 3: Just in my brand. And so it was a different type of funny I think, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: It's different, it was, but it was very it was very clever, like it was really well put together.
Speaker 3: It was the first time though I've achieved comedy that my partner appreciated because I can usually am loud crazy like Spanky, very funny and together we nuts.
Speaker 2: But Jack was like that was so thought out, that was so well done.
Speaker 3: It was like, that was a real thinking piece and it made me laugh and I was like.
Speaker 1: That is me and my partner, Ben never laughs at anything I say. So it's very confusing. My name's Ben, Ben, very confusing. I love confusing. So self obsessed. It was the closest thing I could do to dating myself. But yeah, he certainly doesn't laugh in my humor or, and other people are always laughing and he's like yeah, He's like no, they were very happy to see him laugh.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's brilliant.
Speaker 1: Interestingly enough, you know, the Shadier Queens didn't make it to the end. Do you think that, you know, some shady queens that create some drama, They create some good content in the middle of a show, but it doesn't really lend itself to making it to the finale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it does make great TV.
Speaker 3: And like, to be honest, a lot of people say we were like really mean to each other, and I don't know what show they were watching.
Speaker 2: I was like, we were being sisters, Like this is camps. It's fun.
Speaker 3: Plus there was some real, you know, drama obviously, but I was like, have you.
Speaker 2: Watched the American version, have you watched Canada's version?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What about us was being nasty? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was like, we're very tame, but yeah, like the drama is always fun. I kin'd of steer clear of it because I don't care. It's not my not my cup of tea. I don't get off on the drama.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: When I get pushed to a point where I can't, you know, keep it in anymore, I will have a moment as we all saw when I talk to Paul Beverly.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I just don't care.
Speaker 3: And I, you know, my asshole is so sold because I sit on the fence all the time, and that's where I like it.
Speaker 2: You get a good you get a good fear from the top.
Speaker 3: You know, and I like to see it all happening. But to be honest, it just doesn't interest me. I'm like, well, set yourself out.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm asking everyone because everyone was asking me online to ask you three in the final three? You know, what do you do to get noticed to get picked to be on a show like this? Have you got any advice with people who might want to apply to get onto Roupol's.
Speaker 2: Drag race, yeah one.
Speaker 3: And my thing was is that you cannot be anyone but yourself. And I know that sounds very cliche, but I just did me.
Speaker 2: I didn't sugarcoat myself. I didn't try and put all the bells and whistles.
Speaker 3: I know, people hide out studios and did all this green screen ship.
Speaker 2: All of that doesn't fucking matter.
Speaker 3: It's a it's an audition tape, and they just want to see your personality.
Speaker 2: They want to see what you can do. I found everything in this drag room. It was a mess.
Speaker 3: It was shit everywhere, and that part of the fun, like don't you know, don't be anything but you you.
Speaker 2: Know, Oh I love it.
Speaker 1: You know, Rece Nicholson does a fantastic job as being a permanent co host, but I kind of feel like there's space up there for one more permanent person on the show. If we had someone in the Australian New Zealand television, you know, entertainment industry that could sit alongside Rey Nicholson. Who do you think would be a good part of the queer representation.
Speaker 2: Who would I love to see up there? Oh my god, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think Joel Creasy should be there. I don't know. It's it's strange to me that Joel's not there, if I'm going to be really honest, But anyway.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Yeah, I agree, Joel would be amazing up there. I'd love to see Joel there. I would like I'm really I'm really good friends with Norelda Jacobs. She's a news presenter here. Yeah, yeah, And I feel like she's so the way that she like talks about things, She's just got this beautiful softness and this delicateness that I think would be just such an interesting point of view to have on the panel. I think she could be really fabulous because she likes to dress up and I live, and she loves draged. She loves drag. I've known Norelda for it, well, oh my god, for like ten years now. So I would love to see her there. She'd be fabulous. Who else did I like, you know, like Sophie Monk could be camped. She'd be fabulous up there, you.
Speaker 1: Know, three different shows at the moment, So she's not here. Yeah, So I'll take Norealda from here because I love Nolda, and I also think the wider community has yet to see the real magic of Nolda, and everyone I know who knows her personally talks of about her in a different light to the way I think I know her because I've never met it for yourself. Yeah, everybody that's worked with her on studio Tim that I'm friends with, they all just absolutely love her. And I think it's a really good Yeah, a good person from a whole different way of looking at it, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think, like you know, I think if you watch her and when she hosts the Mardi Gras, that is like, Yeah, when you watch her there, she is like just living.
Speaker 2: She's like mesmerized by it all.
Speaker 3: And I feel like that would be so cute to watch on drag Race. And I think I would love to see her banter with Rue and Michelle.
Speaker 2: I think she'd be great.
Speaker 3: Actually, yes, I'm going to position for Norelda or the drag Race panel.
Speaker 1: Who would you recommend for a serious three If there is a serious three so queen out there that you've come across over the many years that you think would do well on this sort of format.
Speaker 3: God, You're going to get me in so much trouble with all because I would just.
Speaker 1: Other one.
Speaker 3: My God, I've got to say in Sydney my two sisters that I work together with regularly, Charisma Belt and Calm and get it and say that both of them because they are absolute SIF stars. I think Carmen is an absolute laugh right, Charisma is a consummate professional.
Speaker 2: She's an incredible talent. They both are. I'd love to see those two brilliant. I love it and if I didn't.
Speaker 3: Say them, they would be messaging me being all you hateful bitch. So I have third willed them so hard since I moved to Sydney, So yeah, they're my pick.
Speaker 1: Well, this has just been so fantastic to have this chat with you because I'm obsessed with you. But I have to finish up with this game that I've been playing called Shady or Lady. I've been terrible in introducing it, so I'm so glad I'm still playing this game all the way to the end of the show. So I'm going to ask you these questions and if you don't want to answer it, just say lady. You know you're being a lady, But if you just everyone's just been answering them, So everyone's been shady unless I hear you say lady. Just answer the question and be shady.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, great, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 1: Glad to know that I've got worse at explaining this game to people. Aw I love Yeah, I don't think it's my own I think don't. I think Andy Cohen must do it on Watch What Happens Live? But anyway, who was the most talented queen this season? We're adding another rule in. We're adding another rule in. I cannot say yourself for any of these not one.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna say spanking queen.
Speaker 1: You can't say two. You've got to pick one.
Speaker 2: Narrow it down queen.
Speaker 1: Okay. Who was the funniest.
Speaker 3: Spanky for sure? Spanky for sure? She nearly maybe wet my pants?
Speaker 1: Who did you not like or get enough time to maybe get to know?
Speaker 2: Eily?
Speaker 1: Who was the messiest queen?
Speaker 2: Molly? Molly? She was bloody, had a ship everywhere. And I can't say too.
Speaker 1: You can't say too. We've gone with Molly and no one said Molly yet, So we're sharing it around.
Speaker 2: Okay. Can I just put it like a sub note in there?
Speaker 3: For Mara, I shared a station with her and she kept getting a ship in my ship.
Speaker 2: Sorry, she's fun, she's fun.
Speaker 1: She could be me, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And then not you. But who out of the top three do you think deserves to win?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they both do. We're actually going through a street way tie. I don't know. I don't know if Rude knows that, but we're doing that. But it has we won.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I think I'm gonna say, Queen, I'm gonna say Queen.
Speaker 1: Well, can I just say to you you have been so funny and we have had we've gone off on some some fu and we'll send it off to the editor and they'll have to work out what gets left in the podcast. But thank you so much for being so open today and like having this chat. And congragulations is what they say on making it to the top three, and good luck.
Speaker 3: I'm always so much bad. Oh, it was an absolute treat. I really really appreciate you having me on. And yeah, I can't wait to meet you in person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll stalk you, don't you worry. Please don't have to find I'll find you.