Speaker 1: We're back on the pickup Britt, Laura and Mitch here thanks to chemist Warehouse right now, get half price off cosmetics across the Maybeline, Revlon Rimmel and a Nude by Nature range is all at Chemists Warehouse. That's fine for this, so ask gun cut.
Speaker 2: It's a show favorite. We also do it on the podcast on Life on Cut. If is where you write in or you call in with your deep you're dark and your burning questions, and we have a very good one today. Meghan is called in with quite the predicament. Meghan, Hi, guys, tell us what's going down.
Speaker 3: My daughter's twenty one. She's just got her first full time job. You know, she's doing well. We're really proud of her. But look, as you would know, time's are tough at the moment. Seems a really expensive, you know, our interest rates, everything's gone up. So we're basically asked her to start paying rent and it's only one hundred dollars a week. We think that's pretty fair. It's just caused major grief in our household at the moment. Her argument is, we didn't ask her, you know, her brothers and sisters to pay rent when they lived with us, and to be fair, we didn't, but that was a long time ago. Things have changed, living pressures, costs. It's just it's so expensive at the moment, and she's refusing to pay the rent. And I guess the question is, and I'm sure other parents who have kids living at home are going through the same thing. I'm like, I think you need to move out it you've got to pay rent. My hubby's so soft on her. He's sort of, you know, avoiding the question. He's actually even had to sort of start doing some uber driving on the site. How old it's a lot.
Speaker 2: How old were your other kids when they moved out of home? You said your daughter's twenty one years old. How old were you have two other children and one other.
Speaker 3: Child two one was nineteen and one was twenty.
Speaker 2: So she's stayed longer.
Speaker 3: She has she has and look, that's okay. We love having her, We love having her at home. It's wonderful and it's really hard for kids these days to get a start trying to say for a home. I get all that, but it's really causing grace with us. She makes pretty good money and she's just refusing.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be pretty brutal here. If she has a problem as an adult working a full time job with paying one hundred dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Let her move out.
Speaker 4: I can guarantee you she'll realize pretty quickly that one hundred dollars a week is a really good deal. I don't think there is anything wrong with you asking your adult child who lives at home to contribute one hundred dollars a week. I'm one hundred percent on your side.
Speaker 2: When I first heard this, my thought was, oh, well, if you didn't do it for the older children, it's probably there probably feels like to her there's some favoritism. That's how I would interpret it. She's already lived there longer. She's already had the grace period that they had, which should be your argument back. And I'm I mean, originally I was kind of like, oh, I don't know, maybe kids. I'm with you as well, Britt, I mean to change. What is what's she saying when she says I'm not paying it? Does she pay her phone bill? Does she pay all for the other the other expenses that she has for her own life while she's living in your house?
Speaker 3: She covers her bills for that sort of stuff like her personal expenses, and that's fine, but I just think I just don't think one hundred dollars a week is that much.
Speaker 1: Megan. I am going to have the differing opinion here in this situation. I think she should be paying rent because the parents are struggling, and Meghan, you need the help, and she's living off the land, and she's twenty one, she's an adult. However, my opinion over arching is you should not have to pay rent if you're living at home and it is not a dire situation and money isn't needed. Help out because that is what you should do as a loving, as a normal, compassionate, empathetic post.
Speaker 4: No, because in addition to this, I have two other things, and I get I'm quite angry about this, right.
Speaker 1: I don't feel that. Yeah, I have two things to.
Speaker 4: Say about this one. The world doesn't work like that. You have to make your own way. She's probably lucky she can get away with one hundred dollars a week. It's also character building. You can't be cushioned your whole life. You have to know that it can be a brutal world out there too. They had their children. We weren't about to go into a recession. We have inflation, we have cost of living that's gone up. I'm sure the parents aren't asking for money because they just want to oh, I want to make life harder for my daughter. No, they're asking because they genuinely need a contribution to keep the house.
Speaker 1: I agree in this situation, yes, but there are many families that I want to teach my kid how life works. You pay rent. No, you brought them into this world. I don't think that's fair.
Speaker 2: I think that this is a very different situation. And if your husband is having to go and work another job on top of his job, if he's doing uber driving in order to make ends meet, and your daughter has this disposable income that she is earning but has absolutely no expenses because they're covered by her then as a twenty one year old, I think she's being selfish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're all in a green sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think you should hold your ground and tell you're happy to stop being yourself Donner.
Speaker 4: I would she took so long, I'd up at one fifty.
Speaker 1: Inflation.
Speaker 2: We feel you met on your.
Speaker 1: Side, Megan. We appreciate it. If you want to get in touch for some advice like that pick up on Insta senis a DM. We'll get you on the show. Next, we are meeting BRIT's beautiful boyfriend Benjamin.
Speaker 4: Yah, all the way from Switzerland and Scotland.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's on the show with us. Next here at the pickup