Speaker 1: Koday, Peter Hell, are you here? Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet.
Speaker 2: The Movie Podcast were arch out to a movie lover about a classic or beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's guests journalists broadcaster podcaster Zanro.
Speaker 3: All below.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 4: Stay here with you.
Speaker 5: Gay to the jobber, my halt, snake shucked, my hail, haven't a right, So you.
Speaker 3: Ain't seen nothing new.
Speaker 2: Zanro has been on a media landscape for many years now.
Speaker 1: Triple J listeners would know her for Morning.
Speaker 2: She must have done at least a decade at the Jays, then over to Double Jay. She does a great podcast with my great mate Mif Warhurst called bang On. It's a huge podcast where they discussed the pop culture of the week.
Speaker 1: What I said last week at the end of last.
Speaker 2: Week's show when I was guest hooking today's episode about Zan is I feel like zan has become like the Molly Meldrum of our era.
Speaker 1: And let me be very clear on this.
Speaker 2: There are many, many, many, many differences between Molly Melgrum and Zan Row. But when I grew up, Molly was the voice of music. We went to him to find out what was you, what was happening?
Speaker 1: What was cool?
Speaker 2: And I feel like zanro is this generation's Molly Melodrum. Like I said, many many other differences, but as far as being the quintessential voice of a generation when it comes to music in this I think Zan is right up there. She has an extraordinary show which I think started as a feature on her radio show, then moved to it into podcast form, and now it has become a television show called Take five, where she chats to celebrities, musicians, artists about the five songs that have I guess helped shape them. It's an extraordinary series. Series one was great. For series two which I haven't seen yet, but check out the names of the people Zan has got on this series coming up on the ABC. Does the name Nol Gallagher mean anything to you? That's right, You've written some of the greatest songs of all time. Sits down with Zan to chat about the songs that mean the most to him. Nataline Brullier amazing, Jimmy Barnes, Barnesy himself.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait to see that episode.
Speaker 2: Mark Cole Smith, G Flip I love g Flip Pie supporter It to go The pies, by the way. And if that isn't a big enough guest list for Xandro's Take five, she just finishes it off with none other than Lynn Manuel, Miranda, the Man Behind in the Heights, and of course Hamilton. That will be a must view appointment. I cannot wait to see all of those episodes. It sounds extraordinary, zan who, I must say, Admittedly we've only met a handful of times. The most time we've probably spent together was at the Grapes of Mirth festival over in Adelaide that Merrick Watch runs. Able to hang out a bit more there, But Zanni's intelligence, She's fun She's funny, and I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with her today.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm Zanro and my three favorite films are stop making sense save as it ever was, save its lost in translation.
Speaker 7: So what are you doing here?
Speaker 8: A couple of things, taking a break from my wife, forgetting my son's birthday and getting paid two million dollars to endorse a whiskey when I could be doing a play somewhere. But the good news is the whiskey works.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 7: And in the mood for love, I'll think.
Speaker 1: I'm not mam on my part. Come, yeah, that's the assummation.
Speaker 7: Up until this week, I had never seen a fish cold wonder, Barlie.
Speaker 1: You let me know if anything I'd expected to.
Speaker 7: Don't I recognize you?
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 7: Oh but you are a famous barrister, aren't you?
Speaker 1: Oh hardly? Well could I have your autograph anyway?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, certainly.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 9: I'm studying aspects of your legal system.
Speaker 7: I'm American. Oh really, I've only just started though.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: What what brings you here? Oh, it's a little embarrassing.
Speaker 8: Eight have a friend?
Speaker 4: Oh oh I see, well there you are.
Speaker 7: I do it your archie leash Leitch right. I saw you in court two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: The casino breaking.
Speaker 4: Oh you were great.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 7: I'm a big fan of yours.
Speaker 9: I love the way you are across examine.
Speaker 7: Oh, I really admire your work.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's nineteen eighty eight London and a bank heist is about to go down, committed by an unlikely quartet of Americans and Brits.
Speaker 1: We've got the.
Speaker 2: Boss George played by Tom Georgison, Animal Lover and Stammara Ken, Michael Palin, Xcia, weapons and Wanna be Intellectual Otto played by Kevin Klein, any surprising Oscar winning role and of course, a more recent Oscar winner. Jamie Lee Curtis everything everywhere, all at once, playing Wanda Gershwitz, the smartest criminal in the pack of mostly stupid men. Wanders playing everybody and has her eye on the treasure chest at the bottom of Ken's fish tank. Wander wants it all to herself, but a puppeteering goes to the next level when she befriends the now arrested George's lawyer Archie Leach, played of course by comedy legend John Clees, a man who's moribund home life is just what Wonder is counting on. Directed by seventy eight year old Charles Crichton, also nominated for an Oscar for this He also co wrote with John Cleese, who were both nominated for an Oscer for Best Original Screenplay. A Fish Good Wonder was a big comedy blockbuster upon release, and cleis'es and Palan's most successful non Python cinematic output, a keenly paced crime caper with laughs, twists and great performances.
Speaker 1: Zanro, Have you ever stuck chips up Anyone's.
Speaker 6: Nose, I haven't, and I was thinking, what a great way to torture someone. I was really worried in that scene.
Speaker 7: And not just chips, but chips. One of them had sauce on the end of it.
Speaker 2: How did not sneeze is something that kind of gives it the next you can almost feel it. It's more uncomfortable because of the source.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you could imagine the kind of spiciness and the sweetness, but also I guess it acts as a bit of lube for the chip as well, makes it slight even more up the nostril, the nose cavity.
Speaker 7: That was an intense scene. I was like, much like a lot of this film, fell very on edge, like everything was about to fall apart in that scene.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a comedy.
Speaker 2: It's a comedy scene, you know, but it is You're right, he is really strugging the breeze, he's got the pair in his mouth, he's got the chips up his nose.
Speaker 7: There's a violence in this film people don't talk about.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And somebody in Denmark actually laughed so hard at this scene that they died, so to.
Speaker 1: Add to the violence of that scene that is so good and.
Speaker 2: Apparently He was laughing so hard, not just because he thought the scene was funny, but because he had a memory of with his own kids. He was he was an older man, and he used to like, they stick carrots up their nose and it's whoever could blow the carrots out first, or some there's some kind of weird family game they played around the family table, and it reminded him of that.
Speaker 1: So he was laughing just as much, I think of the memory as he was anything on screen.
Speaker 7: And that was the last thing he loved.
Speaker 2: Imagine thinking, as there's one of their kids, that that game eventually costs.
Speaker 7: The father's his life as Darwin, isn't it it is?
Speaker 2: It is dosed carrots up your nose or chips for that matter. Thank you for coming on, Thanks for having me a fish, good wonder. I saw this in the cinema, So I was thirteen when this comes out. Massive year for comedies, by the way, like We Are eighty eight, Beetlejuice, Twins, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels who Frame runs a Rabbit, Heathers, Big Naked Gun, Midnight Run, Working Girl Coming to America Beaches, Dundee two, and of course Young Einstein.
Speaker 7: I just listed all of us on my favorite films.
Speaker 1: That that's an.
Speaker 2: Extraordinary bunch of films from one year, and they're comedies. You add to that rain Man Cocktails almost a comedy, Miss Sippi, Burning Bulder, and Mistic Pizza Willow Missing Pizza.
Speaker 1: That's a good year for movies.
Speaker 6: I was actually gonna pick Coming to America and then I decided not to. But that's wild to hear you rattle those off, because one of the reasons I've never seen a fish called Wander is that I was ten years old when it came out. But I've seen all of those other films and I was the same age. So there's something in this film that we're talking about today that clearly my parents thought was inappropriate or I somehow didn't watch through my brothers, which is how I saw all the stuff that I wasn't supposed to my big brothers, who ended up playing it for me. But it's wild because I just did not realize that I was ten years old when all those other films came out as well, and I watched them all.
Speaker 1: You watched The.
Speaker 7: Beetlejuice is one of my favorites in iconic film.
Speaker 1: Iconic Film Iconic Musical coming to make Iconic cast. We had any Perfect Onne.
Speaker 2: Recently, I only saw I for the first time for this podcast we did with Mat Velvo, and it I loved it.
Speaker 1: Like that was I'm not sure why.
Speaker 2: It's interesting when you think back at the reasons why, and sometimes you just like, I just haven't seen it. But sometimes is like I reckon Beetlejuice. This did not appeal to me in any kind of way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: Back then. I was just in the different kind of comedies. I liked John Hughes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stuff playing strains and anobiles is my favorite all time, and.
Speaker 7: Tim Burton is the opposite of that. Like it was dark, it was grotesque.
Speaker 6: It's funny actually when you think about like someone like Michael Keaton and Katherine O'Hara, who were huge parts of that, and they had a huge kind of career around that time, but then they sort of went silent, and then they've come back up in the later parts of their career and both being celebrated. But they were always kind of odd and brilliant throughout their whole career, and you saw that in the very beginning in that eighty eight classic with Beetlejuice. I'm a massive Tim Burton fan, so I loved that film.
Speaker 2: I'm so thrilled for Michael Keaton because I mean, Kevin O'Hara, I felt like, you know, I was doing the Homerlone movies, which which wasn't the star of obviously, you know, and irresponsible parenting whatever, and was in the Christopher Guest. You know, Yeah, we still had eyes on Catherine Ahara. But I think Michael Keaton's in with Disappear.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like was he was out in the wilderness.
Speaker 2: He was always great and funny, was a batman and then just disappeared. So I'm trying to remember what film it was that I saw him in. It wasn't Birdman. It was like a I think it was the other Guys with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg, and he just all of a sudden, he was just in that film.
Speaker 1: It's like there he is, there he is, and he's just gone. Obviously from strength to strength. Love Keaton. Great to have him back. Michael. If you're listening, welcome, welcome, welcome.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about your three favorite films some big ones here stopped making sense, tell us about stop making and then not making sense?
Speaker 1: Is the is that the musical?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a concert films film, and many people call it like the greatest concert film ever made. So it's made by Jonathan Deme, who did Signs of Lamps among many other great films. He made this concert film which was completely constructed on a Talking Heads concert. And if you've ever seen that image, that famous image of David Byrne with the giant suit, like the oversized suit, that's what it comes from, a constant stop making sense. They're big, gray, larger than life suit and stop making sense. Was a film that, even though it was a concert and there was a live audience, you never see the audience, not once it's all shot looking at the stage, So then you become the audience. And what they do is they're almost like on a theater stage, which if you've ever worked in theater, or you've seen a film about theater, then you know that you kind of strip back all the curtains, all the dressing, and there's ropes and there's pulleys, and it's basically like the skeleton. And that's this opening scene of the film where David Byrne leads her of Talking Heads walks out and he puts a like a boombox, a cassette player out on the middle of the stage and presses play and it's the drum beat, the drum machine beat of Psycho Killer, and that's where it begins. And it's him with that cassette drum beat and an acoustic guitar and he plays Psycho Killer. And then the film opens from there and builds and builds and builds. And if you know anything about the music of Talking Heads, one of my favorite bands of all time, they had you know, started as a kind of post punk band, but then had this incredible career where just all kinds of wild stuff, afro beat, you know, collaborating with Brian, you know, all these like wild sort of offshoots, and that's all captured in this film. As they build the stage, so they have not just the core members of Talking Heads, but they've got all the amazing extra you know, players that people on the congas, the backing singers, Bernie were l on the keys, and it just builds and builds, and they have curtains and it just becomes bigger and bigger and it's just a work of art. And I know we're not talking about that, but I just talked about it for about three minutes. It's just so phenomenal and it's interesting, like when you ask me this question, the worst question ever, by the way, and I know that I do this everything.
Speaker 1: There's an irony here.
Speaker 7: Oh, I do this every week.
Speaker 1: I would take that for any other guess I asked.
Speaker 6: I hate people asking me the thing that I asked them every week, or were like the holdest one hundred voting.
Speaker 7: You're like, don't ask me about my ten favorite songs. That was a terrible thing to do, but I tried it.
Speaker 6: When these questions are posed to me and they are thrown back on me, believe me more than more than you think.
Speaker 7: I try to go with my gut. And that was the first thing that popped into my head.
Speaker 6: And it's actually just been remastered and Talking Heads just recently got together again for the first time. They had a very bad breakup, and they were at the Toronto Film Festival for the premiere of this and they were together for the first time in years, maybe decades, for the launch of this. So if you've never seen Stop Making Sense, I think it's been It's been remastered and reissued for its anniversary of some kind.
Speaker 1: Because what year roughly did it come out?
Speaker 7: I'm trying to think if it's maybe twenty fifth anniversary. Was it eighty eight?
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 7: Was it eighty eight?
Speaker 2: Was that thirty one of the that's it wasn't eighty eight.
Speaker 1: It was a naked gun instead of making sense, Oh my god, naked guy. Yeah, I was running lake for the Northland.
Speaker 7: I need to Should I look it up? Should I google it?
Speaker 1: What if?
Speaker 6: And I do all the time in our podcast because we're highly professional, we're just in the middle of it.
Speaker 7: Get it, Just google all right? Nineteen eighty four?
Speaker 1: Eighty four? Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 7: Okay, so forty years.
Speaker 1: What makes a good music documentary work? What are the I mean?
Speaker 2: I noticed many different ways as life concerts and there's you know, there's archival footage of people.
Speaker 1: What do you like to see in a music doco?
Speaker 6: I like it when people do it differently, which is what Jonathan dem did. It didn't do something where it's the classic show the crowd and have the behind the scenes and it was just it was a beautifully directed concept of as I said, putting you as the audience and you can hear crowd noise, but you're in the center of it. One of the other great docos that I saw in the last probably fifteen twenty years was The Devil and Daniel Johnston. Daniel Johnson was a kind of outside artists who released a lot of music on cassette and lo fi, and he dealt with a lot of mental health issues through his life, and he had a really interesting family, really interesting story, and he's kind of one of those people. It's like, you know, there's so many people who had no idea who he was. But the way that documentary was constructed through animation, through old cassette tapes, through the opposite of and I know this sounds ironic talking heads, but I mean that in the way of literally talking faces people just you know, like Bono's in every goddamn music documentary.
Speaker 7: That is not what I want to see.
Speaker 6: I don't want to hear Bono's opinion on every band and every musician in the world. Give Larier chats, give ad No one ever hears from Adam, do they But the yeah, just things people that do things a little bit differently. And I think that that's what makes film and experiences like that stand out, because you're so used to seeing the classic, you know, conservative way of making documentaries, voiceover archive, talking heads, people talking about things, and these films that I'm drop to it just things that do it differently.
Speaker 1: Did you watch the Beatles doco this.
Speaker 7: Twelve hour one?
Speaker 1: I've watched part of it.
Speaker 6: Like all things in streaming services, you start it and then you forget about it and you never go back.
Speaker 2: So I watched it because it kind of came out, I think, over the summer, and I watched it between that.
Speaker 1: I love the glorious period between Christmas and New Year. Some people don't like it.
Speaker 7: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's amazing because everything stops. You don't feel good about doing nothing. Yeah, and then that's when I watched it, and I loved it.
Speaker 7: That's the kind of languid time that you need to watch it.
Speaker 1: It is. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I got to see a little preview of that before it ed.
Speaker 6: And this is something that I don't think has been broadcast anywhere else in terms of shown to the public. And it was fascinating because it showed the process of using AI that Peter Jackson did to clean up the you know the film. This was stuff that was filmed in the room with one mic and so it was muddy as and he basically used AI to go through, you know, hundreds of hours of footage and clean up and isolate those sounds so that they could pick out, you know, John's guitar away from his voice and really isolate that make it clear and obvious. So they did a bit of AI and CGI on the on their faces as well, which I thought was pretty good. But yeah, I found that fascinating to kind of how you revisit history and make it clearer.
Speaker 7: And I think you did such a beautiful job of that. That's where AI is our friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with just having a brief chat off air about where we're going to land with AI, I think, yeah, it's going to play a big part of our lives. So we can't ignore it and we can't not use it for the good offers. But it's dangerous.
Speaker 6: This is the robot promise that we were promised in the Jetsons to clean our house. You know how we always thought that technology will make our lives easier, and I think that we've all seen that it just makes our lives more dense, confusing, mental health, you know, terrible, all that sort of stuff. But I'm hoping that AI cuts out all the boring jobs and makes things easier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think we're focusing more on the white spacesuits than we were.
Speaker 1: I don't think the white space it's going to happen, to be honest.
Speaker 7: It all comes down to the dream of the screen, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: We weren't thinking big enough back then.
Speaker 2: Lost in Translation what a great film, of course, Sculle Johansen and Bill Murray. I was hoping to do this listeners ready, listeners will know. I was hoping to do this with Dan Connell, fantastic comedian. We sat down like we are now. I was doing introduction. I saw like a little his face kind of this change. The blood drained out of his face. And when I said, what do you think of Lost in Translation?
Speaker 1: He said, I actually watched Fear and Loathing.
Speaker 2: So I can't actually, and I was done on my prep. I'd watched it a couple of times. I had my notes where to they go Lost in Translations in my brain and very similar films, very similar. So I'm looking forward to covering it as a whole episode. But yeah, fantastic film.
Speaker 6: Beautiful film, and I just it's one of those films that it's sort of I can watch it time and time again and love it every moment. It's just so many iconic shots in that film. I love Bill Murray Johansson is incredible in this film. The soundtrack, you know, I find that I'm constantly drawn to films. I think the next one's a saying that have just amazing soundtracks. But Sophia Coppler, I think knowing that what I've heard is that this was kind of based on her own experiences when she was with Spike Jones. And yeah, and Anna faris the places that Cameron Diaz character and is like, you can't you can't not know. Once you hear that, you can't un you know, and it makes it even more fun. And Giovanni Rubisi of course is the sort of Spike Jones character. But the it's just such a beautiful film and there's just so many beautiful moments that I think that the mystery of film and films that enable you to find your own meaning of the have real power too. That iconic scene at the end where they're in the middle of it's probably like Shibby, you're crossing or something. A really hectic part of Tokyo and they're saying goodbye. I'm getting shivers as I'm just relaying it. They're saying goodbye and he they're holding each other and then he sort of grabs her head and whispers something in her ear and will never know what that is, but everyone imagines what it is, and it will be different for every person, and it's so powerful and it never gets old, and I just I love that film.
Speaker 7: It's just such a joy.
Speaker 1: I did go.
Speaker 6: You know how you like you find your way? And I think the film we're talking about today is a perfect example. You find little quotes from films that just get stuck in your head and you use them in your own dialogue with people every day. So anybody who's seen Lost in Translation knows that there's at the Parquid Hotel where they're both staying. There's like an American band, jazz band that's playing in the New York bar, which is where they go and hang out, and they're.
Speaker 7: Called SASA Leader. We're sus A Leader. We're glad to be here.
Speaker 6: I reckon every other day I will say to my boyfriend, we're Sasa Leader, We're glad to.
Speaker 7: Be here, Like I doesn't make it. He says, it's just love obsessed with it.
Speaker 6: It's just like this shit band who were getting paid to Masa to just be background music to people's affairs and what have you.
Speaker 1: And this is there an Australian loundsinger in that.
Speaker 6: Ye, my god, I need to get in contact with her and tell her that her lines my folklore.
Speaker 2: And then every time I have a suntory whiskey, of course, you know it's suntory time times. I mean that scene alone is just so funny when he's getting directed.
Speaker 1: Yes, no idea what anyone's saying, it is. It is great.
Speaker 2: I love that film and I feel really I remember feeling even at the time, really happy for Sophia Coppola because because I feel she got such a raw deal off the back of Godfather Part three when she came in late for Winona Writer in a bit of a weird part, because she's kind of, you know, got a romantic interest with her cousin Andy Garcia, like the characters in the film. So to see her kind of find her place in the filmmaking world with such an extraordinary film, and she's well and truly obviously found it.
Speaker 6: Now she's extraordinary Yeah, she's amazing. I think people often criticize her as well for writing to personally. Obviously that was based on her life people. The other film that she directed that was similar to Only Your Life, that Sophia Coppola would have was Somewhere with Oh Yeah Yeah, where the guy I forget what's his name? He was like a heart throw back in the day, and he basically plays this washed up actor. He lives at the Chateau Marmons, Like who lives at the Chateau Mama? Probably the Copplers. I'm gonna I'm just gonna rent out an apartment and when I need to cook, I'll just call downstairs and they'll go and get my shopping for me.
Speaker 1: It's like what he's got in his hotel room?
Speaker 7: Who is that guy, Stephen Dorf?
Speaker 6: That's it Stephen Dorf who had his moment and he kind of came to that film after his moment and it was a bit of a comeback.
Speaker 7: But then I haven't heard from him.
Speaker 1: Since until Somewhere Too comes out.
Speaker 7: It's a fair couple of doesn't do sequels, and.
Speaker 1: She has a Jackie is a Jackie No no, m Priscilla coming out soon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which looks like another heady, wild dreamscape of her film. This is She just she's a very immersive filmmaker, and it it's beautiful to watch those films and be drawn into them and fall into that world.
Speaker 2: A film I haven't seen, and it's on my list because it's come up a couple of times top of my head. Claire Bowditch and Zach Fromani Donner both sided in the Mood for Love as one of their three favorite films.
Speaker 1: Why do you love this film so much?
Speaker 6: I was lucky to see this film when I was studying cinema and university and you know, like anything like doing this podcast, like a book club. It's great when someone recommends something to you and says, hey, check this out, because I might not have found it otherwise. It's a Oneka Wi film, Hong Kong film director. It took the world by storm in two thousand and when it came out, and it's this beautiful film that is about two people whose respective partners cheat on them, and then they meet up heartbroken and kind of almost recreate what it would be like to There's very little dialogue in this film, but they recreate, you know, the the cheating as though almost like to sort of make sense of it, but in the process of that, they're kind of falling in love. And it's one of those films. It's got again one of the most beautiful soundtracks. Everything's very slow. The coloring of this film, the coloration of it and the tones and the feel of it is just it's it's got some weight, like it's a sexy film because it's nothing really happens, but it's just waiting to happen, like the tension. You can cut through it, and it is just beautiful, like it's like watching a symphony. I know that sounds like a really wanky thing to say, but you're just completely drawn in by it, and I just love it and that kind of I think watching that film and then studying a lot of his other films through university just gave me a great appreciation of a director.
Speaker 7: That I might not have come across on my own. So I was really grateful for that.
Speaker 2: Speaking of cinema from that part of the world. I haven't mentioned this to you, but I did see you tweet it recently. I just caught up with the film Past Lives this week. I'm sure it was you who tweeted.
Speaker 6: It, Yeah, because I did to take five with the director Selene Song best film of the years, isn't it amazing?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 6: Well you would love in the mood for love because this is all about that, about those unrequired or the tension of things that almost happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, but don't quite get there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really and I just want to shout that film out if you get a chance. I saw it in a cinema this week, and then I was caught a flight home this morning and watched.
Speaker 6: It again, like, just what was your reaction after that final scene? And there's no spoilers here, but everyone's reaction is different again depending on their own take and their own experiences in life.
Speaker 1: I thought it was perfect.
Speaker 2: It felt like a beautifully made movie that felt more like real life than most movies I've seen. Like there's a scene where so basically you have these two Korean kids, a boy and a girl, almost like soulmates to begin, you know, at a young age there may be ten yeah, and then the girl family moves to Canada, and then she finds her way to New York and is now no Nola, Nola, Nora, Nora, Nora, Nora, and loses contact with her friend, and then they finally after all these years, get back in contact. Then over skype, they're kind of almost they're quite clearly falling kind of in love with each other, but they know they're not going to be able to catch up anytime soon. So she kind of says, I can't do this anymore. I can't have these conversations. Let's just down the track. Well, she moves on, she gets married, and he eventually comes over, but she's already married. So I thought the husband was kind of interesting, and he actually is. Is a point where he does say, I'm the white American villain in the movie that it's getting the way of your love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, and I think it was.
Speaker 2: It was kind of clever to make that point and also make the point they're not necessarily going down that down that road.
Speaker 1: I loved it. It stays with you, It really stays.
Speaker 6: With me, stays with you, and it kind of sneaks up a little bit. I saw it at the Melbourne Film Festival and I just wanted to crawl into the alleyway and next the cinema and bare my hearts out, you know, And you just need a good, healthy cry, yeah, but not in a sad way, just to know whoa That was like a real emotional gut punch and so beautiful and powerful. But then I just I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I still think about it. I'm glad you're talking about it because it just you know, it's such a stunning movie that everyone should see it.
Speaker 7: You know, it's based on Selene's song's own story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've been doing all that youtubeing. I might have to listen to your reviewer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's built built into something a lot bigger, but it's basically her. There's a scene in the film where she's sitting at the bar and she's got her American husband on one side and her childhood sweetheart on the other, and she is there's almost a narrator sort of wondering about this situation, what is going on here? How these people related to each other? And she said, that's when the idea came to her. She found herself sitting at a bar and this is exact thing was happening, and she was like, this is funny. And she's a playwright, so she wrote a story about it become her debut film directed, and it's just like, what an incredible debut film and she's just amazing.
Speaker 2: It's got Credit Lely, who people might know from Morning Wars, and she's extraordinary. The whole cast is extraordinary.
Speaker 6: She was in Russian Doll as well. She was Natasha Leon's housemate. She's great playing a really different character though in this film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like everything I've seen her and she's kind of had, you know, like in Morning Wars she's really tough and hard and a carriage still got that. She's ambitious, but she's you know, she's more vulnerable. It makes you think of all those sliding moments in your own life. Yes, when I was this has come up on this podcast before. In fact, I think last week with Merrick when we did Before Sunrise, which actually is not a world away from past lives, and I was going with the Finish Girl, and I've often kind of thought if that worked out and I went over there to Finland for a while, and if that hadn't worked out, what would have my life look like now? The universe I want to be very clear on this. The universes gave me overwhelming evidence that everything worked out exactly how it's worked out, the way I met my wife was so extraordinary and against all odds that you know, it's irrefutable that I'm where I'm supposed to be. But you kind of go, like you do, go, what if that happened? If I had jumped on a plane, then if I'd have started commedy in London? Would have would have things have worked out? Would I have been a regular on the English circuit? Would I have been shit out after three or four gigs and given up? Like so, this makes you think of all those sliding door moments in your own life.
Speaker 6: And that's why these films are so successful because you can, like it's like good music, like a good pop song. If you can find your own story in it, then you connect to it. And that's why these films are so beautiful and so successful.
Speaker 2: And these films are seemingly as small little films about massive things conceptively simple.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I feel like I want more films like that. If and I often talk about that. It's like, you know, French film nails it, ninety minutes, get in, get out, small stories, but big concepts, and this is life. I know that you know Poe was talking to you about this few weeks ago when you talked about Moonstruck, which I recently saw as well, and the it feels very real, and I think that sometimes there's audiences are under estimated about how much they do want to see real stories, like because they have big existential crises and big ideas in them, and their ideas that we feel and relate to. You know, Marvel films great. You know Oppenheimer Three Hours of Men having Meetings? Love it on Imax. Just a sidebar.
Speaker 7: I thought there's going to be a lot more explosions in that film. It's fine, but just a lot of meetings.
Speaker 6: But you know, like these ninety minutes just geting, get the story done, but also have something that stays with you that's profound, like Past Lives. There's a lot of value in that, and I love it when audiences react to that, and that success has shown because they're some of my favorite films.
Speaker 2: My favorite film of last year was In the Way I think fits into that Mold, which is the worst person in the world.
Speaker 1: I was so good? How good? Was that? So good?
Speaker 2: And these films that just have maybe there's a scene in there where it just goes, oh wow, the point you just made I've never seen on everything, everywhere, all or once.
Speaker 1: I think did it wear a very different kind of film.
Speaker 6: But there's that scene from I've never seen hot dogs as fingers before, never, not once. I mean, you're like, finally I feel seen to be honest.
Speaker 2: The original scipt for I Love You Too, the movie I'm made in twenty ten people Dinglich had hot dogs or fingers, but he arrived on set.
Speaker 1: I think it was in the graphy mood and he didn't want to. He didn't see it in my vision.
Speaker 2: But there's a beautiful scene where we get that thing about kindness, you know, not being a weakness. It's a strategy, you know, like and it helps him navigate through life. And I just kind of thought, wow, that is such a beautiful way of looking at the world.
Speaker 1: And there are some things that I don't want to spoil for past lives.
Speaker 2: There's a scene where, in particular that a lot of things are said and I think it's some beautiful messages and things that take away and I think the worst person in the world did that is well before we will talk about the fish called Wanda eventually, before we do, if you're listening, you want to get on our speak pipe where you're going to sleep. It's basically like an answering machine message, get onto it. Follow our links page and we have one today. And I'm in a bit of trouble zan. Have you seen Field of Dreams?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you build it, they will come or he will come.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You also something that I say all the time that applies to so many things in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it. You loved it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I love a bit of costner.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I also love a bit of a classic American film.
Speaker 1: Yes. So I hadn't seen it, and I watched it for the first time, and they've lost and watch it for the first time. I didn't. I had some issues with it. So, and this is a reaction for of my one of my lovely listeners pdpdpd PDPDPT.
Speaker 10: I've been putting up with the top gun flak for years. So when you and Tony did that, that's cool. You didn't enjoy it, that's okay. I still love that movie. But me, Field of Dreams, You've crossed a line there, my friend. That is a sensational movie, and I just I feel like we need to sit down so I can explain some of the things to you, because you just seem to have questions. It reminds me of when I was in high school and the teachers like explaining things that were happening in the book and I couldn't read between the lines to see what was going on. And I feel like I should be your teacher now to help you out. So if you want to watch it again and learn about it, I think it would benefit your appreciation of an absolutely stunning movie. Love the podcast and looking forward to some more fantastic discussions. Thanks mate, that was Jason.
Speaker 1: Thank you Jason. What a lovely way.
Speaker 2: You know in this day and age where debate when somebody doesn't agree with you, we can get angry and you can hear some frustration in Jason's voice.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I will say I did watch it twice. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I just, you know, watch it whilst I was doing something else, well, I was folding, washing or something.
Speaker 1: I watched it twice.
Speaker 2: My issue was there was a really good film in there, and it works to spite itself in a way, and we won't get it all the way back into it, but the fact that they're just like it started straight away, like they had little you know, a bit of.
Speaker 1: The voice over in the back history of the Family.
Speaker 2: And then Kevin Costner is in a field and he's building and they will come and he's like, oh, this happened, and I think I'm going to do it, And his wife was like, yeah, I think you should.
Speaker 1: Like a little bit of resistance.
Speaker 2: Would have been nice, because I'm sure if I said that my wife, somebody said the ghost of the ghost of Jack McHale just said to build a footy ground in the backyard.
Speaker 1: My wife's not going to go yet. Go for it.
Speaker 6: But life doesn't have narrative efficiency of film though it doesn't bee this is you got to get through it. I reckon as well that there's a difference when you watch something when it's come out and when you've watched it, like Field of Dreams over and over again or coming to America, you have a different connection to it and watching it for the first time when you've seen things.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely, I think listen.
Speaker 2: I im thinkto somebody last night, I was doing a gig at the Gold Coast and they loved the podcast and she said, Love actually was one of my favorite films until I listened to you you talk about that.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, are you pro against Well, I'm I'm about to judge you with your answer.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of pro. But there's a lot of things wrong with that film.
Speaker 7: I think it's terrible. I think it's a spiteful film, right, I really dislike it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was a very film.
Speaker 2: It's a very damning episode because I hadn't watched it for a long time, and when we watched it, it was wow, these things, I mean.
Speaker 1: There's some story. There's some story. Emma Thompson ematms is the best thing in it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that scene, the journey your scene is one of the great scenes in movies.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 7: It's devastating.
Speaker 1: But Jason maybe out there, Jason on the phone, this is the last time.
Speaker 7: Jason has some sharing to do, some guidance, some teaching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but maybe Jason will do that. This is the last episode of this season. I'll talk more about that at the end. But thank you for getting onto our speak pub Jason. Okay, let's get into it. Xanro Hello, nineteen eighty eight, directed by seventy eight year old Charles Crichton, who co wrote it with John Cleese. Did you enjoy the crime caper comedy A Fish card, wonder, not.
Speaker 7: As much as I thought I would.
Speaker 1: Okay, I wasn't sure. I'm watching it go, I don't know. I can't pick this one.
Speaker 7: So have you seen it before?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You saw it when it came out.
Speaker 1: And I came out and I hadn't seen it for a long time.
Speaker 7: And how do you think it held up?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 2: I thought I was nervous a couple of times. When Michael Palin came on and I remember about this stuttering, I thought, how is this gonna be? And I, to be honest, I was relieved in that regard because I thought it was there for a reason. It wasn't there as a punchline. Also, he is the most likable character in the by far, by far. He's got the biggest heart, He's as smart as anyone in the movie.
Speaker 7: Love Ken.
Speaker 2: Ken's great, So that was a relief. There is that little bit of homophobia that was very funny in the eighties, supposedly the Kevin Klein trying to kiss Ken. But then I was thinking about, well, the argument I think the filmmakers would make is, well, he is trying to deflect from me the fact that he's just been caught in bed with his supposed sister or Wander.
Speaker 1: So I guess that's a legitimate thing he might try to do to deflect.
Speaker 7: Oh, they do a lot of stupid things in this film.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, and that is part of the that things falling apart constantly, that type route that we're walking throughout the whole film. Yeah, and yeah, it was a film of a time as well.
Speaker 7: I think that a lot of it.
Speaker 6: I was trying to watch it, and again it speaks to the field of dreams, idea and anything that you watch when you were growing up. I remember how huge this film was when it came out. You know, it was one of the biggest films of nineteen eighty eight. Everyone was talking about it. And I think also if you didn't know what it was about, you're like, what what is that about? Fish called Wander?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does that mean?
Speaker 6: I remember the poster, see it into my brain of the you know, the five characters, this ensemble cast all lined up.
Speaker 1: It was usual suspects, but was totally yes, and it was.
Speaker 7: Just sort of you know, it was a curiosity to me. I was like, what is this about? I'm not allowed to watch it?
Speaker 1: What is this about?
Speaker 6: And of course I grew up being too young to watch Monty Python, but I remember distinctly going to the Coburg drive in and seeing what's the Monty Python film where they're vikings. It was one late in their career.
Speaker 1: Eric the Holy Grail is Eric the Viking.
Speaker 2: Maybe Eric the Viking, which wasn't I don't think technically is a money Python film, but.
Speaker 7: They had a similar sort of cast.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I sort of came in at the tail end of that as someone who was kind of understanding their absurdest comedy of Monty Python. But I didn't grow up with it, so I say, all, this is a caveat for someone who didn't. This didn't quite hit live and seeing it.
Speaker 1: But I was.
Speaker 7: I had really high expectations.
Speaker 6: That's why when you gave me the list, I was like, yeah, I've always meant to see if she's there, And I was like, I'm not loving but I think that one of the things that I loved most about it, and I did enjoy a lot of elements of it, was Jamie Lee. Curtis just steals every scene and she's kind of like, as you mentioned in the bio, she is the smartest of a bunch of idiots who when you think about it, like the whole film is it feels like again watching a play, which is I guess where Monty Python come from as comedians on a stage. That's their background, right as being this ensemble cast who bounce off each other, who know how to do the dance, and they do that on screen very well. And she comes in and she's kind of just almost like ping ponging between all these different people and screwing them over at every stage, and you feel like every like again, it's all going to fall apart at any moment, but she manages to, like a fish, just scurry away and get out of it every time. And that's a great dance to watch. And also her outfits are amazing and I loved her pixie cut, and I love Jamie Lee Curtis. I think watching someone like Jamie Lee, who's had a huge and long career but only recently in the Academy's eyes, has been really recognized for that. But she's always been great. She's always been a really feisty character. She's always had that you know, UK American crossover as well, because she's obviously been married to Christopher Guests for a long time, she hangs out with a bunch of weird, absurdist comedians and she knows how to bounce off them and how to sort of be the American not bombshell, but like this, you know, vixen, Like she's really sexy in this.
Speaker 2: Film, incredibly sexy in this film and got the X factor. And she brings her trading places form that she had with Eddie Murphy into this and that's where John Clee saw her in that and then contacted her. Jamie Lee Curtis thought John Clee was only getting in touch with her so he could meet Christopher Guest who just released This is Spinal Tap and made that, so he was kind of hot property. And she's thinking he's just wanting to meet in Christopher K I take the call. But she is fantastic in this. Let's listen to a scene where this is her in Otto, where Otto has basically.
Speaker 1: Offended and I think beaten up Archie junk Lace. You said you loved him, That's right, Otto.
Speaker 9: Now here's a multiple choice question for you. Hey, Wanda was lying, the Wanda was telling the truth.
Speaker 1: Which one you're gonna pick?
Speaker 7: What was the first one you told me you were not planning to see it.
Speaker 9: I know you would come along and fuck it up. I was dealing with something delicate. Otto, I'm setting up a guy who's incredibly important to us, who's gonna tell me where the loot is, and if they're gonna come and arrest you, and you'll come loping in like Rambo without a jockstrap, and you dangle him at a fifth floor window.
Speaker 7: Now was that smart?
Speaker 1: Okay? Was it s trud? Was it good tactics?
Speaker 7: Or was it stupid?
Speaker 1: Don't call me stupid?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 9: To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. I've known sheep that could out win you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs. But you think you're an intellectual, don't you.
Speaker 4: Ape Apes don't read philosophy.
Speaker 9: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it. Now, let me correct you on a couple of things. Okay, Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not every man for himself. A London underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto, I looked him up.
Speaker 2: That isn't great because that's basically a monologue that she delivers with all kinds and it continues after that she kind of says, you know, like she begins the softly, softly approached with him.
Speaker 1: They getting to apologize to Archie.
Speaker 2: But that is a brilliant performance and the hidden hunts line in all of that, I think there's in great lines. You know, the Buddhism is not every man for himself and Aristotle, but the very final thing we heard, which is none of it's true.
Speaker 1: I looked it up. She's not necessarily saying that I looked it up. I thought it was very was very funny.
Speaker 6: She's the one who is She's not trying to be anything else than what she is. But I think is a great strength in this. She knows exactly the hustler she is. She knows the strength she has in her sexuality and in her flirtation in order to get what she wants. But also like exactly the way that she holds herself in that scene and through all of this. You know, when you watch a film and you're like, I'm forgetting about the fact that you're Jamie Lee Curtis, and you're you know, you're not even thinking about it. You just you feel safe and you're just in it. On the flip side Kevin Klein, who I love. How did he win Best Supporting Actor? Like he's over acting and I know Otto is an idiot, but it's just like I'm so aware of him acting in every scene in this and it kicks me out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good point. And it was a surprise win. He didn't win any other awards outside of this Oscar. You know, usually you know, the more recently you know, you get nominated, or you win the SAG or you win the Bafter campaign a campaign, and so things have probably changed since nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: That would have been but it was a surprise.
Speaker 2: I think I agree with what you're saying, but I do think there is an athletic performance going on.
Speaker 1: The physicality.
Speaker 7: The physical comedy is very.
Speaker 2: Very good, and he is. He's charming. He has a lot of the good lines. He has a lot of the recurring jokes, the smelling of his his.
Speaker 7: Armpit to get himself off.
Speaker 1: Italian.
Speaker 2: But he's just saying like Mozzarella and these things where Archie actually does speak Italian and.
Speaker 7: Where ed I got her Arangini ball joke from.
Speaker 1: So I think he is. He's funny.
Speaker 2: It was kind of the first time I'd seen Kevin clarkause I hadn't seen The Big Chill or Silerado and some of the films that he had done before this, So I remember seeing going, who is this guy?
Speaker 1: He's is really funny.
Speaker 2: My biggest thing with Otto in this movie is the fact that he doesn't die like I know, like, how do.
Speaker 7: You can we?
Speaker 1: Is this a spoiler? Freak?
Speaker 7: It came out in nineteen eighty eight, you've had time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I haven't watched it.
Speaker 7: But we've all had to.
Speaker 1: Once we start talking about the film, we're here to talk about it. It's all off.
Speaker 7: So that is one of my favorite scenes in the film.
Speaker 6: It comes towards the end where Ken is ever so slowly rolling towards Otto in a steamroller. It's so drawn out that is comedy genius. That scene is absolutely the best part of it. But Kevin Klein's character Otto is yes, ankle deep in concrete at the airport, so can't escape this very slow steamroller. It's wet concrete, but it's a goddamn steamroller that rolls over him slowly, and yet moments later you see him attached to the side of the plane looking in the window and Jamie Lee Curtis with wet concrete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not even a scratch. No, no, no, there is a reason and for this, Oh I love this. Yes. So in the script, he.
Speaker 2: Dies, which is the perfect like you want him to die. He is, he has eaten, he's eaten Can's fish. You know, he's a groper, he's you know, as funny as he is. He's the villain in the piece. Yeah, he deserves to die. American audiences shown, you know, shown that test screening, test screenings like Doto so much USA, USA, USA, or one of them back and they reached.
Speaker 7: Out that scene those test screenings again.
Speaker 1: Sidebar.
Speaker 6: I lived in LA for a spell in the late nineties and I went to a test screening of Blues Brothers too. I don't even remember it, but I went to a test screening and that film turned out differently. So whatever test screenings they had, and I can't even remember what it was, it's got a ship memory. Never asked me what my favorite films are, Pete, but the I really don't like that. I think that that's I don't like film on demand, film by committee, like I know that it's holly. I know there's lots of money that goes into it, but something sits wrong with me. I should have died.
Speaker 2: I think I agree, and I think there's no doubt some positive feedback you can get from test audiences.
Speaker 1: I do believe that.
Speaker 2: I've heard directors actually say they ain't mind them, that they they're quite up for them.
Speaker 1: But it's the market. It still needs to be the director's choice.
Speaker 2: And when it's at the end of the film, like I an't dying does not affect people going.
Speaker 1: To that film.
Speaker 7: I'm looking out in the last No okay, I'm not walking out.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to see the epilogue at the end. The end the it's just, yeah, I just wish that didn't happen. You know, it's not a massive thing, but it's just it's like, oh, come on, guys, you'd like to think that the you know, John Clee's has enough balls to kind of you to stick with the original vision.
Speaker 6: One thing that does do though, throughout the whole film, it's like, how many times can this be derailed? All the times they're trying to find the diamonds and Jamie Lee Curtis's character is constantly switching teams in order to get where she needs to be, which is the twenty million dollar diamonds, and every time something falls over Ken trying to kill the old woman but killing every one of her dogs, which is also very.
Speaker 1: Funny, hilarious, but that is genuinely brilliant.
Speaker 6: But nothing goes smoothly. So maybe in that context Otto surviving despite being rolled over by steamrolls just like but still you can't not fuck it up, you know, So maybe it fits in the general tone of the film in that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what.
Speaker 2: Did you think of the stammering of Did it raise any kind of light? And you go, oh, I'm not sure because I was like, how's this going to age? But I think because like I said, he was the most likable character, he was smart, he gets his revenge, so it's a few ticks. Also, and I learned that Michael Palin's father was a stammerer. And the original idea, the first seed of this movie was John Cleees having this idea of a character who was a stammerer or stutterer who somebody was trying to get some vital piece of information in a hurry. And I think that scene and maybe we can listen to that scene. I think it almost pays it off.
Speaker 1: Was not is not just a gag.
Speaker 2: It is actually and obviously they have fun with that anotto. You know, it takes the piss and but there are also things in it where that are true to people who do stutter, where research is found when they speak to animals, they ain't stutter as much. So when he speaks of the fish is calm, and when he's still going to wonder is karma. But when he's under pressure or around people he doesn't like, he does, you know, it flares up again. So let's have a listen to Archie trying to get the information. And this is I think post chip up the nose.
Speaker 7: Great context to have.
Speaker 4: Don't worry, don't worry.
Speaker 3: Do you know where they've gone?
Speaker 1: Fine?
Speaker 4: Fine, well, okay, hotel, the hotel? Which hotel? Okay, it's actually.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait slowly.
Speaker 4: Pretty slowly slowly the.
Speaker 1: Car. Don't worry, sing it sing.
Speaker 7: Car, car, carr.
Speaker 4: God, plenty of time. Oh come on, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, I'm sure what I didn't think? They're right? It don earlier.
Speaker 2: DeCross And it is funny when you're watching because the Sea the heckles he's playing it where he's obviously frustrat he needs to stay calm to get the information.
Speaker 1: It's quite good, But how do you know that you have any issues.
Speaker 6: With us or well, that's perfect example the way that John Cleese's character Archie reacted, and also Wander is kind to Can about his stutter. They know that it's not through any intention of his own and it's something that he can't help, and they just try to be calm with him and help him along the way. But the first time that we really experienced the starter is when Otto is talking to him and he's awful like he you know, Otto, as we've established, is a terrible character in terms of being quite violent. You feel on edge when you're around him, and he's just like abusive, And I found that really jarring again watching it in a time where we understand things like ticks, like neurodivergence, like all this stuff, and we're talking about it in an open way, in a much more understanding and supportive way than we ever.
Speaker 7: Have in history before.
Speaker 6: It felt like watching this, I was like, oh, this is punching down, Like this is rough, But again, it does work to the script and to those key points, like when in that scene when he's trying to get the name of the hotel out, you can almost picture it. You're watching the car get away towards the Diamonds and you're just like feeling like, get it out, get it out. You know. It works in the tension of the film, and it succeeds in that way, and it's you know it is It's funny because Palin is such a brilliant performer. I didn't know that his father had a starter as well, but yeah, it's I found it really like I bristled. Michael Palin also wears a Rustafarian wig in one of the other scenes where I was just like, just, you know, far this undershit. That wouldn't happen in twenty twenty three, you know what I mean. But this happens with so many films, even films from the naughties, you know, like the short memory we have and the recent history of what was considered funny and normal, And I think that it was a film of a time.
Speaker 7: We would do it differently now. But yeah, I kind of bristled when I first saw it.
Speaker 6: But Otto is absolutely the worst person to ken in this instance. And he's really mean and it's hard to watch. Yeah, Like I said, I love Kevin Klein, but he was such a he's a violent character. Like but I guess he made me feel on edge and that's kind of one of the successes of the film as well, Like it's not just a comedy, it's a highest film and it's got a sort of crime edge to it.
Speaker 7: Like it's got a.
Speaker 1: Dark edge to it.
Speaker 2: I think, I think you need a character needs to be that, you need a bad you need a baddy, and there really isn't anyone like George Is. He's a baddie, but he's not really a baddie for the audience.
Speaker 1: So I think you do need and.
Speaker 6: There are baddies in real life. There are baddies that make fun of people. So you know, film reflects what happens in real life too.
Speaker 7: So now all those things.
Speaker 2: If Otto runs over Ken with the steam roll, it becomes a different thing that I think. But I think there is something about where do the characters end up. You know that I think is there's justice needs be part of the conversation. You're you said, this is a it's just a comedy. It is a crime caper. And it's a really good Like it's the twists and turns in this I think are really good. It's a really I think it's a really well paced film.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, I think that having the even like watching it this week and then just going onto the Wikipedia, which is how I do all my research.
Speaker 7: Pete do more than that, but that's a good basis.
Speaker 6: But just like seeing the plot, it's like and then this happened, and then this happens, like shit lots happens, and constantly it's like they've all got greasy fingers and it's constantly just like just there slipping out of their hands, and what a romp that is. Like there's only a few moments where it feels like it kind of slows down in the in the final third, I think where you like that pace is gone. But other than that, and certainly watching it and thinking, you know, films from nineteen eighty eight look very different to films of today, but I kind of like that simplicity. Again, it feels like a play like there's here's a scene, and here's a shot of that room, and everything's happening in that room, and the power of what happens there's no clever angles. Like the cinematography is great, but it's not like as finicky and detailed as some films today. It's just like here, we set it up and the work and the magic happens because of the way that all of this ensemble cast play with each other, both you know, in the script and also in the physical comedy.
Speaker 7: They just dance, they bounce off each other.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's amazing that Charles Crichton gets nominated for Best Direction for an Oscar for this like.
Speaker 7: The World like theater sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I mean this, I mean how many This just looks like a lot of other comedies. Really, he said, there's no tricks. No, I mean there's things that he's done, Like the performances are all great. You know, I'm not disappointed that he did at all, because I like this film and I would like to see more comedies you know recognized. Yeah, but I am shocked that he got because there's not yeah, like there's the one camera trick he did when and it's a very funny scene.
Speaker 1: We might even have listened to it. Now. This is when we don't realize.
Speaker 2: Initially we had Otto demanding an apology from Archie, and then we see Archie kind of said no, there's no way you're getting an apology, and then he's more open to apologizing, and the camera turns around we're real that he's actually dangling from a window.
Speaker 1: Holding his legs.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, I apologize, really sorry. I'm really really sorry. I apologize unreservedly. You take it back, I do. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you oil family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay, that felt like to me like a very Python kind of moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that over the top English apology under those circumstances.
Speaker 6: And basically coming from his character, which is a lawyer. Yeah, the lergy under duress.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I thought that was that was great. There is the other thing that well, I think what Otto does is that they're having a lot of fun with you, Mayor versus Brits and culture and even the fact that he has a gun. And I'm not sure if anyone else really even has a gun.
Speaker 7: Maybe just shoots at Willy Nilly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love the scene which I only really noticed this when I watched it this week, was when they realize that the loot has gone, they been shifted. They've opened a safe and he's kicking the car very theatrically and jamiely Ketis is like, just.
Speaker 1: Let me think.
Speaker 2: So then Otto shoots the safe and she says, what are you doing? And he says, I'm thinking. I feel like that is the way Americans think.
Speaker 7: He's trying to think about that. Either. That's such a great disc.
Speaker 2: So basic, it's so great. Let's talk about John Clees as Archie. We haven't really mentioned me a couple of times, but did you have? So obviously he's married. I thought the performance by his wife is I thought she was really good, but she was really I thought, really funny.
Speaker 7: And doesn't his daughter play yeah Porsche, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cynthia Clees, I think, yeah, yeah, it plays Porsche. They do a really good job actually setting up all the cave. Even than that, very the first thing you see is Archie. You know, rest of my case. So he's a barrister, and then you know, you see Jamie Lee Curtis coming out of I think, I imagine a bank with a little camera things. So you sets up she's gonna be the brains of the of the operation. We have falling asleep reading Niski, and that's you know, that tells us we find it more obviously later on we got came with the fish. They set up everything pretty economically, like the het happens really quickly, which I think is good, and then straight into it. Yeah, and that's about what happens afterwards, which is I think juicier. And we find out that John Cleese is in a not a pretty much a loveless marriage, it seems, again.
Speaker 6: Very efficiently there to show them sleeping in two single beds, very faulty towers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And even in the scene where he comes out and his wife's out kind of in the sun, having or reading something, and she's complaining about a day and seemingly superficial things that haven't happened flat I was having a ride, and then he says, I want the case. She goes, it's the first time I've had the first moment I've had to myself all day, and then he repeats it in the kitchen, and it didn't make me laugh. Actually when he when he goes in there and he says his daughter and his daughter once a new new horse, because the horses isn't fit for dog meat, she says. And then the wife comes in and she's like, oh, I'll make my own cup of teat.
Speaker 1: Then I'll do it. I'll do it. No, no, no, it's too late. Now I'm already up.
Speaker 7: I know people like that, so I really like that scene.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I My wife is lovely and she's not like that at all.
Speaker 2: But if she, if I'd forgotten she was to get up, even if I was saying that's it down straight away, we got no.
Speaker 1: No, I'm up already, I'm up. Let me do it. But yeah, I thought I thought she was she was good. I thought she was really funny. Did you feel enough empathy for Archie? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean John Cliss wrote the film, and I sort of had that in the back of my mind. I most notably, I thought towards the end, when you know he gets the girl, I'm like, oh, this feels exactly like when Zach Braff wrote Garden State because he had a crush on Natalie Portman.
Speaker 7: He's just like, of course John Cleese's character he's gonna end up with wonder.
Speaker 6: Maybe that's just me being cynical, but I think that he had actually pretty great character development because you sort of see him. Yes, he's in this loveless marriage, but he's kind of this stiff lawyer who then you realize isn't the one with the money, and he's kind of just you know, he's much more so than Otto, who's very one dimensional, I think, and he serves a you know, serves a purpose.
Speaker 7: But John Cleese's character.
Speaker 6: Has way more development in terms of his journey, but also how much you understand of him and his motivations and why he does the things that he does and why he's so vulnerable to Wanda's charms as well. And I thought that that was actually quite well written. And again, you know, John Cleese says some cooked things in recent years, and he's sort of taken a turn for many people that has been a bit offensive, but like you try to not keep that in mind and think, Okay, this is the guy that is one of the foundations of uk com and Monty Python and all, you know, Faulty Towers, and you know, this is why he's so good and he's really good in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Sure he wrote himself to be good, but that's fine. He can do whatever he wants. He's John Fleees. He also is very fit in it, because you sort of look at him and you're like, you know, he looks older in the face than he is, and then you see him because he does get into scenes with just his jocks and he definitely worked out before this film.
Speaker 1: I really did.
Speaker 2: And in that scene he wrote it that Jamie Lee Curtis was going to be naked and then discovered, and Jamie Lee Curtis said, I think it's funnier if it's you.
Speaker 1: This is why she's the best exactly, and he goes, Yep, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 6: I love that scene as well, where it was set at that incredible house, apartment whatever on the Thams, just like I want to live there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where was that? I don't know, the airbnb in Clussic Fortune.
Speaker 7: It's amazing, Yeah, but I was a bit confused though.
Speaker 2: So he gets naked and they've rented the house from a coworker who's away in Hong Kong. But then the family come in who and we find out they've rented, but the photo he gets to cover up his genlesals appears to be to be the woman, who then.
Speaker 1: Cuts to Yeah, that's weird.
Speaker 7: I just realize that that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: No, no, I was hoping you kind of we're going to clear it up for me. Oh my god.
Speaker 6: No, I just realized that maybe maybe they Yeah, someone in the scripting forgot about that lack of continuity there. Maybe they changed it and slotted in the scene but forgot they had a scene where.
Speaker 7: The picture of her covers his privates.
Speaker 1: Privates? How old am I?
Speaker 6: I've been swearing? And then I say private, thank you for covers is down their area.
Speaker 2: One thing I wasn't sure about, God love how Wonder is playing everybody? I think she literally kisses every like every main cast member, Like you know, she's the fem fertale, she's playing everyone.
Speaker 1: She's in for herself.
Speaker 2: As soon as she puts that, you know, the eyron thing when Otto's in the safe, we know, okay, she's really in it for herself. But did you have a moment could you pick a moment, because I'm not sure if I could, Like, do you think she falls for Archie at some point?
Speaker 6: I don't know, because it's weird the way that it ends where she sees him. She knows he doesn't have money. She's got the diamonds, so she doesn't need him anymore, right, But then they join on the plane and she looks at him and they're having the big passionate kiss while Otto is there coveting concrete hanging out the window.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I just didn't.
Speaker 6: It didn't give me enough time for me to believe it, knowing that she just, you know, double crossed everyone up until that point.
Speaker 1: Why, Yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 6: Again, John Clice wrote it, So, yeah, I think he's decided that he is the one that wins her heart.
Speaker 1: Well, like he said, he is pretty fit for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just thought that when I was really really thinking about it, Not necessarily when I was watching it, but I was just like, when did she actually fall for him?
Speaker 1: And did she fall for him?
Speaker 2: Is there a version of the I know they do the that, you know, the post credit kind of they went off and they had fourteen kids or whatever, and yeah, whatever.
Speaker 7: It is seventeen kids and opened to what was it a colony for lepers That.
Speaker 1: Is a weird.
Speaker 6: I feel like leprosy was something that was like part of weird jokes in the eighties.
Speaker 2: It really was wild, Like why I remember I remember leper colonies being and lepers being constantly referred to in comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 6: There's something that's a whole other podcast digging into why there's a big hole over there that we could fall into if we address that.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that's sort of ending bit as well.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's Jamie Curtis is incredible in this, and the character of Wander is so manipulative and so believable in every moment, and you can see why she's able to completely manipulate.
Speaker 7: All these men.
Speaker 6: So what's to say that final scene, even though it's like why would she do this, is not a total manipulation as well. Maybe it's because she's now on a planet she can't get rid of him. So instead of him alerting the crew to hey, this person's order with twenty million diamonds.
Speaker 1: I think I was about to say, like a shock him on the back of.
Speaker 7: The head as soon as they get off in rear.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it.
Speaker 2: If you take away that, you know, the post credit thing of the seventeen Kids, you could potentially believe that, Yeah, she does bump him off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, a weird little wrap it up in a boat, and it didn't quite make sense.
Speaker 2: No, I mean you could argue potentially, like when they first meet and he says avoir to her and she kinda gives him a look, oh you know, French, like it comes across as her just playing him a little bit, but the character holds enough to make you think, oh, maybe there's a little connection there.
Speaker 1: And then when she does ask about do you have money.
Speaker 2: Like, you could probably argue also that that's her kind of this is the last box to tick would be that this money is yours. It's not disappointing, but you can maybe argue there's there's traces along the way, but this is certainly not a moment where you are convinced that it's she actually wants Archie.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: It was too quick, Yeah, it was way too quick. Did you want it to work out between the two of them?
Speaker 1: I don't think I cared, absolutely honestly, Like, yeah, I don't think I wanted.
Speaker 2: I think I just wanted Jamie Lee Curtis to win, yeah, and can to be Okay, Yeah, I kind of wanted Archie to be all right too, because you know, there's nothing wrong with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think if he was weekly. I think if he was rich, then you wouldn't be reading for him as much. But it's kind of like, oh, he did the best he could.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, it's a nice detail.
Speaker 2: Not only does it make wonders desires more complicated, but you kind of do root from it because he's in this loveless marriage and it's her money, so he's kind of trapped.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I've got some fun facts before we wrap up.
Speaker 2: We've gone through some of the fun facts already, but here are some more. Archie Leach's actually named after it's actually Carry Grant's real name. Oh yes, and there was John Clie is a massive Carry Grant fan.
Speaker 7: Archie Leech.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. The fish that Kevin client ate were made from jelly.
Speaker 7: That is a really helpful fun fact because that was a distressing scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, slightly distressing that Kevin Klein offered to eat real fish.
Speaker 7: I'm not surprised he's a cooker.
Speaker 1: Did he make was the next film after this? It might have been a few years later.
Speaker 2: It was In and Out, like where he played like a gay man, and I forget if that was like I'm not sure how that has aged or if it was like a fun film to watch or not.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Actually looked him up because I was like, what is Kevin Klin doing now? I was obsessed with him and Phoebe Kate's falling in love in the nineties, remember that, No, and he looks like he could run for office in America, Like he looks like an old American politician now, because it was in that movie Dave, wasn't he, which is like, maybe that's why I'm associating. Yeah, but he always seemed like he was always an eccentric fella, and Phoebe was also an eccentric actor as well, so like a match made in heaven. But yeah, I haven't seen him in anything for quite a while, but he was, Yeah, he was always an odd bod. I always loved Kevin Klein. I actually found it quite having not seen this, and I know he's acting just like, I was like, you're scaring me, Kevin. You're a scary character.
Speaker 1: So I think I think I.
Speaker 2: Remember seeing in the Map and it was such a different from my memory of that film was that he's got a positive kind of like you know, upbeat kind of character. And I was like, oh, that's that's the same actor, which actually, you know, it's kind of impressive in a way that he can play those different types of characters. When Kevin Klein when I go to the Jule to mete George and he says, who do you think it was? I do like when Otto is pretending to be on Georgia's side, like when I find the bastard the squeal, I buy a lot of that very funny. I mean, I find I might say, I find I do agree with you he is, like he's a menace in this movie, but I do find love of what he does funny.
Speaker 7: And when he's in the scene, you're not looking at anyone anyone else exactly right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you actually that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Like he does bring energy to the scenes that probably Michael Palin's not doing John c Leice is probably not doing because he's he gets more physical as it goes on, when he becomes a bit freer. There's only one actor such character who did not have any of their dialogue cut in the edit.
Speaker 1: Would you like to have a stab and stab in the dark?
Speaker 7: Was it Michael Palin.
Speaker 1: No, it was Patricia Hayes who was the woman with the dogs. She was not. They basically left her alone. You were perfect, Patricia, and they were her dogs.
Speaker 7: Where's her Best Supporting Actor nomination?
Speaker 2: I don't think I made this point, by the way, but and I think it's we probably inferred it. But it is ridiculous that Jamie Lee Curtis was not nominated for an Oscar for this and Kevin Cline was like, it's okay that Kevin Cline was like, I actually think it is a very it's a very good performance. But I think if he gets than Jamie Lee Curtis definite gets them because she holds this film together.
Speaker 1: I think as does Patricia Hayes.
Speaker 2: They were her dogs, and they deliberately chose small dogs because Jock John Clee said that most people don't feel like that small dogs are real dogs, Like if it was like three labradors, you'd have a very different which I mean, Peter will be after you. Yes, yes, oh you're the paint thrown over you. But I kind of understand the point that he's making as much.
Speaker 7: As know they're ridiculous dogs.
Speaker 2: They are ridiculous dogs and in one of the early I think edits or the first time they killed the dogs. They used like lard and a lot of gizzards from butchers and all that, and there was not too much, so they just went through that.
Speaker 7: One didn't make pass the test.
Speaker 1: They went to this flat straw kind of dog.
Speaker 2: Jamie Lee Curtis said that John Clees was a poor kisser in their early scenes. John Leese responded by saying he was kissing in character.
Speaker 7: Great defense. I'll save that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there were two movies released in this year, nine and eighty eight that had characters run over by a steamroller.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Oh my god, I'm digging in.
Speaker 1: Can you can you? I'll give you. I'll go through the film.
Speaker 2: I'll go through the films again, the comedies that were released that year. And it'd be one of these twins Dirty Rodin Scoundrels, Big naked gun who framed Roger.
Speaker 7: Rabbit, who framed Roger Rabbit?
Speaker 1: Correct well played, well plied, well played.
Speaker 6: I was thinking, was it Janney Ron Scoundrels? Another great film? It is full of mean people, so good.
Speaker 1: That is a classic.
Speaker 2: We haven't covered that one yet, zanro thank you this podcast comes with homework and you are flat out your extraordinary series Take five, which began on your radio program, then became a podcast and then as now is a huge TV show with the names you have. I mean, the first series was amazing. Missy Higgins episode just I teared up in that one. But this Nole Galla, Natalie and Brulia, Jimmy Barnes, Mark Cole Smith, Je Flip, stay back for Collingwood, Go the Pies.
Speaker 7: Congrats by the way, thank you very much to get a while.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've still got a newspaper on the desk. I'm still making my way through it.
Speaker 7: How many pages in there in the Herald Sun fifty.
Speaker 1: There's a whole paper.
Speaker 2: Famously, when Collingwood won I think in two thousand and ten, wasn't there They said there were more pages dedicated to Collingwood win the premiership than when September eleven happened. Oh my god, j Flip and the end Lynn Manuel Miranda, I mean you, I mean I love doing this podcast because I get that talk about my passions.
Speaker 1: But I mean you must, you must love doing this, and I know you love doing this because you can tell.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I do love it.
Speaker 6: I love talking to people who like doing a different kind of interview as well, because I think that most musicians, and you know, in the case of Take five, it's not always musicians, it's.
Speaker 7: You know, creative people, artists.
Speaker 6: They they're so used to talking about themselves, and in when they do that, they say the same stories.
Speaker 7: They sort of have a know, an auto roll list of.
Speaker 6: Answers, but when they talk about other things, like the music that they love, they kind of just enjoy it for the first you know, on the first point, but also just relax a little bit and they end up talking about themselves, but they don't realize it, which is such a beautiful way. Just much like the films that you love kind of tell the story of who you are, music of course does the same thing. And that's what I've sort of learned over doing it since two thousand and six now and now with two seasons on TV.
Speaker 7: It just reveals the songs.
Speaker 6: That tell our stories, reveal a lot about who we are, so they kind of, you know, loosen up. You can see like Noel Gallagher, he came into that interview and he was first of all very hungover. Could just command City had destroyed Real Madrid the night before and he'd been up until four drinking in Manchester.
Speaker 1: But he's.
Speaker 7: Right on time as well.
Speaker 6: I was like, this guy is professional, but you know he's someone who people constantly say tell us about Liam, you know, why do you hate your brother?
Speaker 7: Why are you fighting? Wuenauros is going to reform?
Speaker 6: And I came to him and I thought, I know he's going to go there, but he doesn't need me to antagonize him and for him to shut down. And for the first eight ten minutes of the chat, I could see he was just like sizing me up and being a little bit you know, the wall was up a bit. But then we to start talking about music and it just the whole You can see the bodies relax. You can see a physical change in people. And that's where you just get this open book and they they're ready to share. And that's what it was like with Noel's what was like with everyone with Natalie, who was incredible, reflecting on her amazing career and being in the late nineties at the height of her fame when tabloid culture was wild and pretty brutal, going through all that stuff, and yeah, it's just it's such an interesting way to tell people's story. But I feel very for years I've been sitting opposite people like you and I now in a studio, seeing their faces when they talk about stuff. And to now share that with so many more people because you can watch it on TV and you can see what I'm seeing, it is the best.
Speaker 2: When did you know, Liza, You've been doing it for like seventeen years, you know, in different forms. When did you know the idea was great? Like, because it's a simple.
Speaker 7: Idea, you know, but it's super simple idea.
Speaker 1: But it is. It is so brilliant. I mean you've had I mean Paul McCartney has been a guest.
Speaker 7: He has. That was a fun one. Yeah, he didn't want it to end.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 7: I was like, do you have to get ready for the shows?
Speaker 1: Like, no, no, let's keep going fun amazing.
Speaker 2: Was it the first one you did or was there one in particular where you just thought this is I'm going to do this.
Speaker 1: For a long time.
Speaker 7: I think it emerged.
Speaker 6: I never take anything for granted, so I didn't necessarily think, oh, this is going to last forever. But I think that it became clear to me. I didn't know this was going to happen. But as I started doing them, and because I give everyone a theme. It's not just pick your five favorite songs. I'm not as cruel as you Pete pick your five three favorite movies. But I give people a theme. So and I think about how that theme would get different stories out of them. And so when they're picking things around, I guess a certain looking at their life through a certain prism that makes them think about things differently, And without realizing it, I just noticed over and over again that these take fives were becoming like therapy because people were thinking about their lives in a way they hadn't necessarily.
Speaker 7: They're like, Okay, what.
Speaker 6: Are the three songs that all the five songs that give me? In Missy Higgins case, I gave her the theme of identity. What are the songs that speak to my identity and finding my identity and understanding my identity and.
Speaker 7: Who I am to the outside world. And she really embraced that theme.
Speaker 6: You know, she talked about the end of her marriage, She talked about coming out as bisexual, She talked about writer's block and mental health and these all the things that make up who she is. But it wasn't like, what are my five favorite piano songs or what are my five favorite female singer songwriters?
Speaker 7: It was like identity.
Speaker 6: So through the Take five and the many years that it's kind of evolved, I just noticed that and it was a for me. I'm not a registered psychologist or any kind of counselor or therapist, but much like everything else we've been talking about, I could see themes emerging, things that i'd experienced, things that I know other people had experienced, and when you talk to someone about that, things kind of come out of that conversation. That's just like, wow, this is a revelation. I've never thought about it in that way before, and that's just gold. Like I feel incredibly grateful that people are willing to share that. There's been times in the podcast where people Missy Higgins perfect example, ceter Afterwards, if you're uncomfortable with any of this, let me know and we can do some d It's just like, no, it's good. I'm happy to share that. But it's like always, people are very generous with what they share, and I think that in some cases it's because they've never actually thought what about it in that way before? And music's a great trigger in that way. I think, yes, like you've got songs that you'd hear and be like, oh my god, I'm seventeen again, or oh this I remember.
Speaker 1: We know, don't worry to be happy.
Speaker 7: Here's a little sun.
Speaker 6: Classic absolutely that reminds me of being down in Lawn in Cumberland River's time and place. It is like it was big that summer and it was at the caravan park down at Cumberland River, just New Lawn constantly on repeat. So you've got that seventeen, I've got that running around the tent, chuffing in the water in the creek.
Speaker 1: It is an extraordinary series you put together. And also people. I think.
Speaker 2: There's a great concept and you're right when people talk about music and they don't feel like they're going to be answer the same questions.
Speaker 1: But I think you put people at ease as well.
Speaker 2: You know, you are an extraordinary interviewer, well researched and people as good as the concept is, people would not go to those places that Missus Higgins you know, went to if they're not comfortable with the person they're sitting across from.
Speaker 1: Thanks so well done.
Speaker 6: I don't want to ever shieve anyone that's my golden rule of journalism. It's not worth it for a cheap shot or a cheap headline. You know what it's like being in entertainment. Small family, and there's relationships, and there's respect. I think respect is the biggest thing in my life. Respect someone where they're coming from, and they'll return that respect to you. So I feel like I've held that through my career and it's you know, it's gifted me with a lot of a lot of good things.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm just going to scratch it. Got your moment I was going to. I'm okay, let's cancel that.
Speaker 1: We're We're not going with it.
Speaker 7: Daily mail headline.
Speaker 1: You are so glad we need the publicity so nice. Like I said, this this podcast comes with homework.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on everything you're doing, like you said, fitting us in between take five and bang on and it's it's been great.
Speaker 1: I've really enjoyed Thanks Pete.
Speaker 7: I've loved it too. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: What a wonderful human zan Row is. That was really enjoyable.
Speaker 2: What a great way to finish off this season of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with a fish card wonder and zan Row and this is a reminder get on to Take five if you're listening to this to Day comes out.
Speaker 1: It went to air last night.
Speaker 2: You can see episodes of Take five on Tuesday nights on the ABC. If you've missed some, you can catch it on iView. Also, the longer versions of the interviews, the extended versions, you can go to the ABC listener app and have a listen there. I believe that the Nole Gallagher one goes through it like over an hour, so I'll definitely be checking that out. But that was really fun. I really enjoyed it. Very easy to talk to, and I can see why people like Lynn Manuel Miranda and Missy Higgins and Jimmy Barnes and Paul McCartney open up to Zan. Thank you everyone for listening to this series of the podcast. I'm going to take a little break, not a big one, not a big one, in fact, probably a shorter one than most years or seasons, maybe about four weeks. We'll replay some of my favorites, will go back into the catalog. We've got quite a big catalog.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to dig up some of my favorite episodes. We'll repeat them, and then we'll be back with a whole bunch of new movies and new guests and maybe some returning guests as well. For you, please in the meantime, go to iTunes, give us a review and a rating. I recommend five stars. It all keeps the algorithm nice and busy, and just get onto our speak. Leave a message like Jason did today, Jason, hope you're still listening, mate, and he'll get on the phone. Maybe we'll shat out Field Dreams some more. But thank you very much. Obviously, no episode next week. There'll be a repeat, but no new guests for me to announce. Go see by the way, I know we mentioned it past lives. It's for me so far the film of the year. I think it's extraordinary. I've got some shows coming up around town. Follow me at PJ Hallier at Instagram and usually i'll post where I'm coming up. I'm working on a brand new show for the festival circuit next year. So when you start planning your festival, what shows you might see at, you know, the Brisbane Comedy Festival or Melbourne or the Adelaid Fringe or the Sydney Comedy Festival. I'll be I'll be at all of them next year. So just keep me in mind. Okay, keep me in mind. We might have to do a couple of live yasneys around town. Okay, until then, bye for now. And so we leave old Pete safe and soult, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant, good time,