Speaker 1: iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 3: Got anything good?
Speaker 4: Hey, this is.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell show podcast. Just want to look about this forgetting and learning curve theory. Patsy was just talking about this earlier from the Parents Teacher Evening yesterday shit on zoom.
Speaker 1: The forgetting and learning.
Speaker 2: Curve theory shows that we get better with practice, but quickly forget without review when we learn something new. Performance improves with practice without practice, what we learn fades over time, memory drops quickly soon after learning, then levels out. There is a plateauing. It's amazing now what you can still remember all these years later and you've done no reviewing or revising in decades like I can still remember I am fifty two. So this has gone back to the eighties when I was doing geography. Oxbo lake is called a billabong in Australia.
Speaker 1: It's a horseshoe bend in a river. What what is it? We call them oxpos? But here in Australia it's.
Speaker 4: A bill boh Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: If something campus will flow river and it gets like a little horseshoe or or a U curve, And yeah, this country calls them a billabong. Right now, I remember that from the eighties. I have not reviewed that quite a few years.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: What can you still remember right now from school? The first one that Polcy is not as long ago as it was like for me and Patsy for you.
Speaker 5: Yes, but I'm still shocked at how little I remember from school.
Speaker 1: So what's stood in the now?
Speaker 4: I before E except after C is the first.
Speaker 1: One that in my mind? What language is that? That's for bridge?
Speaker 5: That spelling, Like when you're spilling a word, it's always eye before unless there's a scene in front of it.
Speaker 4: Except there are some exceptions, like that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the English language is full of exceptions, isn't it.
Speaker 4: This is the rule except for all the other y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like the AFL rule book. Yes, this is what it was, the rule, and then we're thinking about changing it. And it's what can you still remember from school? What is still in there now? Probably the times tables, hopeless times tables.
Speaker 1: I think the twelve times table is the easiest, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Twelve and elevens are the easiest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're about tens and tens.
Speaker 4: And eleven yause elevens are just like twenty two.
Speaker 1: Which one did you struggle with? I struggle with the sevens and eight.
Speaker 4: I reckon. I'm still very good at them.
Speaker 5: I had an eight times eight sixty eight, sixty four six seven forty two.
Speaker 1: Oh no, really, yeah, Patsy, what do you still remember?
Speaker 6: I remember Mount jung Frau and our geography teacher going on about it.
Speaker 1: He I thought that was a teacher.
Speaker 6: Well he used to go on about this Mount jung Fraw and you hyped up there, our geography teacher, and so we started calling him mister Gilfrow.
Speaker 1: Lesson every single lesson and comedy ensues.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every lesson.
Speaker 6: Give us the latitude and what there is there?
Speaker 4: And so we do.
Speaker 1: Where is Mount Ilfraw?
Speaker 6: I'd actually have to look it up, so I haven't been made that. No, no, no, it's not Chapan. Is it Himalayas or somewhere. I'm going to have a look a look.
Speaker 4: Do you guys remember what is latitude?
Speaker 2: In?
Speaker 4: Which is longitude? Definitely forgotten that one?
Speaker 2: Yes, which one's which I read a book about the history of it and I've forgotten.
Speaker 1: One's vertical, one's hor and that is not an answer.
Speaker 4: It's in Switzerland. There you go.
Speaker 2: Mount ilfrows Inwitz. All right, call us up. Then what can you still remember from school? So we want to know when did you go to school? What decade? And what is still in there right now?
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell shar podcast, I'll ask you this morning.
Speaker 2: Then what can you still remember or all those years and decades later? What stool is in there from school? You just someone else has dropped in?
Speaker 5: Yes, and this has burned into my brain. I wouldn't have done this in what fifteen years? I still remember how to draw the cool s?
Speaker 4: You remember this? Oh wow, nothing to do with the curriculum.
Speaker 1: What is it? What is that? Even caled I don't know. It's just the cool the cool.
Speaker 5: S and you had to draw it in the front of all your folders, on every page.
Speaker 4: Nothing to do with school. But everyone knew how to do it. I don't know why we did it, but it was just.
Speaker 6: Cool kids like Audrey's still doing that still a thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing, jackass is going to go. Do you think this modern crazy ai going world? You wonder how many more decades. Is that going to be a thing years and years ago? Was it the same for you? Patsy go to school in the eighties netwhere you could write your favorite band names on your school bag.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed to do that now or your pencil case.
Speaker 2: Yes, you would spend like an entire lesson when you're meant to be learning just drawing at the Van Hayman logo span outba or your wooden ruler yes, ruler, yes, And then I still remember the lovely, very pleasing sound that the non shatterproof rulers, that sort of plastic ones used to make when you used to put them. There was a sweet spot on the table where it's got Can we have a look on the office in the station car, it's stilling a non shatterproof ruler. Im pleased to do that again. It only works in an exact spot where it goes. And that's why I don't end up doing this job actually anything.
Speaker 1: We always said that it is apostrophe I t apostrophe. Yes, it is I t apostrophe. Yes it is as opposed to if you got mad.
Speaker 2: No, just checking your right in there, stand up and say that I remember that.
Speaker 1: It just came back to me cults more than a school.
Speaker 4: It was weird all this last week.
Speaker 2: If he doesn't boys well as a special that Sheddy went to in that farm in the middle of nowhere in New South Wales, Rio.
Speaker 1: What can you still remember them? Oh?
Speaker 2: The cool less Yes, sorry, it's the repetition. I didn't review it, Christian. I went to school in the eighties. I remembered the rhyme to remember the planets. They really want us to know the order of the planets. They were the colors of the rainbow. What unless you're going to go and work for NASA and drive around and go bloody, I'm lost, sang on a minute.
Speaker 1: I know. If I'm Matt.
Speaker 2: Venus, that means Mars is behind me. Take a right at Mercury now, Bobbs your uncle. Now I'm backup planet Earth. Thank god I paid attention, you know.
Speaker 1: Maybe obsess with learning the order of the colors of the rainbow. Richard of York gave battle in Vain. Oh wow, yeah, yeah this one though.
Speaker 2: If you ever lost guys in space, my very earnest mother just sits up near a pop and of course the pe for pop Plo. Now not a planet general, They threw it out. Yes, but unplanetary behavior. I think it did an appeal. Yeah, he used snoop dogg rule.
Speaker 1: Christian.
Speaker 2: I'm fifty nine. I also still remember the order of the planets, but a different one. More visitors eat more jam since using new plums.
Speaker 1: How are you going to remember that?
Speaker 2: More visitors eating more jam since using new plums? It makes it hard annoying Christian. In the eighties, we learned how to spell because Betty eats cake and uses six eggs Christian on forty seven. Every time I need to write it, I can say it out loud. If I ever take your team on a spelling bee, I will take you down with because I like to think we could spell, because I might get true to other words, but not because I don't think that's the trickiest word languish. Let's take some calls here you can join us. Thirteen fifty five twenty two. What can you still remember from school?
Speaker 1: Met?
Speaker 3: Good morning, morning, Christian and team.
Speaker 7: How are we?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're good met, thanks for calling the show. Welcome And what can you still remember from school?
Speaker 7: I can still remember the bod mass equation for maths.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 3: That's the brackets?
Speaker 7: Of the vision, multiplication, edition and subtraction. So if you've got a big equation with the times and brackets and all, admit that's the sequence that you do it in.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 1: Is impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And I'm fifty six as well, so that's been in my head for a bit forore.
Speaker 1: Is incredible, isn't it?
Speaker 2: And yet you remember these things and yet like your partners or your kids' date of birth job blank Richard of your gay battle in Vain, Colors of the Rainbow in the order meck, thank you very much for calling the show mate.
Speaker 7: Have a good day, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks, have a great day, Daniel.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Daniel, Yes, good morning Christian and team. About twenty years ago, when I was in primary school, I was a bit of a menus and I have to go see the principle often. And after a while he said, you know what, I'm going to get you to write this out and if you have to come back and see me, I'm going to get you to write out seven times now, if you come back seventy seven times, if you come back again, seven hundred and seventy seven times.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: What I had to write out was my responsibility is to complete my work to the best of my ability. I do not have the right to interrupt the work of others. After seventy seven times, that was a bit much, and I think you've felt sorry for He was like, you know, let's think up another punishment. Seven hundred and seventy seventy too much.
Speaker 1: Works?
Speaker 4: You still remember?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, pinful And.
Speaker 4: Are you still interrupting people these days?
Speaker 1: Daniel?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, then start line one up to seventy seven. Daniel, that's a great one. Thanks for calling mate. Have a good day you too, both.
Speaker 1: Chris, Good morning, welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: According toom, there were going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're good, Chris, hope be having a good week. So, Chris, what can you still remember from school?
Speaker 8: When I was in primary school, the times tables up to twelve were laminated and posted on the wall and we would sing them all the way through from one to twelve every day. That is only now I'm fifty two, and back in the day you thought this is just useless and a waste of my time. But I was at the thirteenth birthday last week. I gave her forty dollars in a card because I'm not going to buying presents and quite lazy. She already had twenty and she said, Mum, how much is this? And I was absolutely flawed. These kids in high school, I.
Speaker 1: Know they need your son.
Speaker 2: I'm singing, yeah, no, no, all right, sing us to seven times table.
Speaker 8: Then seven one time seventy seven, two times seventies fourteen three times seven is twenty one for time sevent is twenty damad. I'm going to go because I don't have the best thing in voice.
Speaker 4: Snoop Dog's doing this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we found the next. Are you really grand? Final?
Speaker 2: Or doing the entertainment with this timestable act is very good since.
Speaker 8: I'll probably have a few expletives in between the.
Speaker 1: Chris, thank you very much. You cool. I have a good day.
Speaker 7: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast