Speaker 1: On Flex and Frooms Flex and Firms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It is Flex and Frooms on cater The podcast is the gift that keeps on giving. I need you to understand how much of a skill it is to be able to share our thoughts off the cuff like this. Someone sent me a message the other day reflecting on this podcast I used to do, and how at the time they couldn't appreciate that although my approach was straightforward, the information always slapped and they couldn't get past the straightforward approach to hear the information. So that I say, you're lucky that I don't rely on external validation to feel something. I gave it to myself. But I will take that I appreciate It's.
Speaker 3: A nice little treit on the side, a little treat anyway.
Speaker 1: Podcast time, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 3: Something that we often speak about on the show is riches, not so much rags. We're not really focusing on the come up story as much as the current day swag and riches, some would say, And so I'm always looking for stories that exacerbate this narrative, or rather look as if we are trying to inter it in a meaningful and exciting way. That's why I'm on the City Morning Herald. As you know, this is my publication of choice. You go to and I see this title, most of us don't really want to be rich, for better or worse. And I'll just start by saying, Sydney Morning Herald has really been popping its bussy coming out with these opinion pieces lately. They've really been put in some pizazz into the titles. And I'm not sure if it's because it's the cost of them in crisis. And then you get the subscribers up, but it's generating interest.
Speaker 2: Have you let them know?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: But hopefully this will get back to someone great. So this guy called Roskins, don't know his story, but he wrote this opinion piece and he thinks that most Australians would like to be rich if the riches were delivered to us on a plate. But Australians don't actually want to become more productive to make money. So now some people are like, if you just work, blah blah blah. It turns out the average person doesn't want to work that hard, which should come as no surprise. So this question has arisen because the productivity Commissions five yearly has just come out, as we know, around the election, these kind of things come out, and the productivity performance that was discovered is that we haven't gotten much richer over the last decade. But you know how it's always like Australia is prospering more and more money. It turns out that it's not actually because of individual wealth. Obviously, it's because of the mining projects and whatnot. And the reason why we're becoming more wealthier is because people are squeezing more productivity out of us, as we know. So really when the government.
Speaker 2: Oh so, what you're saying is like when people are saying Australia is getting richer, it's not the individuals getting richer. It's the corporations getting richer because they're able to squeeze more labor out of us at the same wage or rate or whatever. Yes, we're working more optimally, but not for our own personal gain.
Speaker 3: And yet apparently the ways to get more productivity out of people is to give them the education, give them better machines, improve the way businesses organize their work organized in bunny rabbits. So it actually says that the rate of productivity improvement over the past decade has been the slowest in sixty years. So it's all giving me a lot of different facts.
Speaker 2: I mean, that makes sense to me. I feel like a couple of years ago, when the narrative that millennials are lazy was running rampant. I know there was a small subset of millennials were really offended by that because they had kind of been indoctrinated into hustle culture and were really working at quite insane race to achieve success. And they did that, but that was not the main narrative. If anything, the counter narrative was just as strong and was being spread by more people, people saying, well, I don't want to actually work, I don't dream of labor, I don't want to upskill, I don't want to stay back, I don't want career accolades. And that message just got suppressed in silence or overshadowed by the rags to riches, get rich quick, hustle culture rise and grind narrative. And you know, neither one is good or bad or whatever. But I think it's really important to interrogate the way we feel about work so we can figure out what purpose work serve. Work serves for most of us. Right, So you and I work, and we talk very often about how I mean, we have different approaches to work. I want to work so I can make a lot of money and not work. How I do it is incidental, because what other choice do I feel like I have. Right, The kind of life I want to live requires me to work at a really, really, really hectic rate. And I've said it plenty of times. I would never work the way I've worked in the last ten years to achieve the same amount of success. I wouldn't do it, but I can only know that from doing it. There are a ton of people who are way more critical and who can say I actually don't want to work that hard period. But now that people's daily needs are being put into question, the fact that people can't even meet their daily needs without overworking themselves is a conversation we can't have when people are convincing themselves that work is a very exciting thing for them and that they dream and live of labor. But I also think it's counterintuitive to assume that no labor is the solution, like you're going to I don't want to work yourself into homelessness.
Speaker 3: Well, this just interested me because of the whole hustle culture narrative. I feel like in the last ten years that's when the girl boss was invented. Like obviously in the nineties you had the like women and mums working like from the eighties onwards and then, but the real girl bossification of like young women creating companies was of the last ten years. So it's interesting to me that the data actually doesn't show that, just as we're coming into the slump of people actually questioning neoliberalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but girl bossary isn't. Girl bossary is a counter conversation to natural hustle culture and capitalism. It wasn't made for women or with women in mind. No, it was made by men and four men. So the fact that girl bosstery is risen and dropped is secondary to the fact that the general patriarchal narrative to work is confused because people don't think, okit, flex and frooms flex and firms flexy.
Speaker 3: Do you engage in cryptocurrency?
Speaker 1: Well, the hot question is it's a hot question.
Speaker 2: I would say actively no, but passively yes because of rooms not financial advice. But frooms bought an old coin. So I bought an old coin and I lost I don't know money, and I thought it's not fun anymore. It got to a point where, because I didn't know what I was investing in, I said, this is not dissimilar to gambling, and I don't believe in gambling. So I stopped.
Speaker 3: Really went down that route. Well, a woman has sent in an issue that she wants us to dissect involving her husband and crypto, which is always a bit of a terrible sentence, i'd say.
Speaker 1: She says, this is the title.
Speaker 3: My husband, a thirty four year old man, were scammed out of eleven thousand dollars, and now I, twenty nine female, am thinking we need to divorce to protect my own financial security. Okay, it's Monday, guys. I can't always, how do I say, use my words correctly?
Speaker 1: I need a bit of warm up.
Speaker 3: I just ate a whole bunch of vodkapasta. Okay, but let's get back into the story. She writes, we had, have.
Speaker 2: We Some people just can't read out loud. I did have to find out very quickly on in high school.
Speaker 3: I had to get extra comprehension levels when I was seven.
Speaker 1: But now I'm a writer. So an a a radio host is that nepotism. We'll let the door, all right. This is the story.
Speaker 3: We have had an open relationship due to sexual compatibility. We have been married almost seven years. My husband has never really seen anyone outside the relationship, but started using a dating app a month ago and met Leoni, who scammed him out of eleven thousand dollars in an internet cryptocurrency sheam. I have been considering divorce for some time, but after seeing how careless and dishonest he is with our money, I'm now thinking I will need to divorce him to protect my own financial stability.
Speaker 1: That's on that.
Speaker 3: I've been fretting away a ten k deposit to a divorce attorney, and now that seems like an amount of money he or we could clearly live without. My husband also now claims he won't try and date anyone anymore, but I did not want to close a relationship, especially given the fact that he has lost my trust. Any advice is appreciated.
Speaker 2: This is so laateate.
Speaker 3: I don't even know like it wouldn't an open relationship mean that you would have heaps of trust?
Speaker 2: I think that's where ethical non monogamy comes to. That's that's the difference. Some people do open, some people do ethical. How old's a husband thirty four years old, so young enough to know or young enough to have a pretty good amount of Internet literacy, smart enough to not get conned into a crypto dating app scam. And this is the thing about dating apps, right, this illusion of access to hotties, because the only people who get scammed out of money on a dating app people dating outside of their equal attraction. There's a random person with a fake account. They're using model pictures. Your ego says, oh my goodness, this is my physical equal. I'm hot. They're hot, They're obviously into me. And when this hot person, whoever signed positive attributes for being hot, asks me silly questions like.
Speaker 1: Wats your day of birth? And email?
Speaker 2: What's your email? A dress? Watch your full number and a dress? And can I have your binance logging?
Speaker 3: Can I get the twenty five special code please that you've written on a No.
Speaker 2: You say, well, Leonic clearly loves me, and so I will do this for her. You're a dummy, dummy I would say divorce because of the money thing. You're so right. I just feel like for seven years you've been married, we saw what happened to Adele? And if you didn't see what happened to Adele, Adele and her now ex husband were going through quite a tumultuous divorce. They themselves weren't speaking out about it, but obviously sources came forward it and disclosed what had happened. And he was trying to sue her for this immense sum like millions and millions and millions of dollars, and his reasoning for being entitled to that money was because she made a lot of her wealth writing songs about their love.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what happened?
Speaker 2: Well, they took I think they thought they figured it. What happens when you figure it out out of court settlement? Yeah, they settled. So if that could happen to it, it happened to you keep your money safe, divorce him, not because he's gonna come for your money, because you can't trust him to make smart decisions. If it's not this scam, it's the hey mom scam, Hey mom, can you just send me your bank details?
Speaker 3: I will say I don't want a victim shame those that have been, No, I will.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to be cut by a scam.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've been very close close to being chopped up by a scam, and therefore I feel bad for him. However, it's a little bit like, can't make a retribution if you will.
Speaker 2: This is how easy out. Yes, facts, if you were really right or die, you would stay. You're not a right or die, So please leave him asap.
Speaker 3: Good luck, Sis, and I hope she could do like a Charlotte Yawke from Sex and the City when she ends up marrying the divorce lawyer and she's actually.
Speaker 1: His perfect match.
Speaker 2: Oh that's sweet.
Speaker 3: She does have a little period where she tells him that she's way hotter than him and they break up because he has self esteem.
Speaker 1: Then they end up getting is she right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, ah yeah objectively So she's a truth teller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she really put her hell back into that. This is flex and rooms on Kata.
Speaker 2: Another day, another sleigh, this one in particular thanks to Shivas Regal. Love your work, thanks for spending a marketing budget on the girlies. Let's talk success, but the contradictions of gaining success.
Speaker 1: We've spoken about it before where I.
Speaker 2: Said that I don't think that you can be considered successful unless you're inherently seen as cringe. I just feel like duality is real. With every good there is a bad up, there is a down. With every left, there is a right. With every successful person is a cringe person in the same exact body.
Speaker 3: We do say in terms of who to date, a content creator is probably least run this, which every time it's not looking good for us. BROV Speaking for myself, obviously we have some unresolved trauma in the studio here today, but.
Speaker 2: It's all from the use of we every time.
Speaker 3: I agree that with every piece of success there is a flop. You just want to hope that your flops aren't publicized.
Speaker 1: No you don't.
Speaker 2: Think no, please continue.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna say flops are inherently embarrassing. Some would say we both did agree, and I will say both of us on this one that flops are an important part of being successful because, as you know, you miss one hundred percent of the shots that you don't take, and when you're taking a lot of shots, some of them are going to land or hit the hoop correctly. And I think you're.
Speaker 2: Hit the hoop correctly, which sport.
Speaker 3: It's starting to sound like mister Universe trying to explend it.
Speaker 2: The reason why I think the flop shouldn't be hidden is if you find yourself inadvertently projecting a narrative that you are an infallible person, your fall from grace would be dramatic. It'll be the thing that forever you know, whereas you do a few and look. A flop doesn't have to be objective. It can be a subjective flop, your favorite thing you've ever done in your career in the eyes of somebody else, flop city shocking.
Speaker 1: How do you deal with being a flop? Seriously serious?
Speaker 3: Let's say you make something that you think is amazing and based on your metrics. It doesn't have to be likes or engagement or for whatever reason, it doesn't land the way you intended.
Speaker 1: Do you care? I care, but you have to double down.
Speaker 2: You gotta double down. It's one thing to know that you yourself aren'nhappy with the way that something's been perceived or interpreted. But don't let it be the common narrative, please. I will say there is a fine line too, of showing people the process and not normalizing what is a very odd thing to be, which is an exceptional person some exceptional people, and I would say that people who have amassed a lot of success are exceptional. It's not a common thing. Do themselves a disservice by trying to show up as someone who's regular. And yes, the narrative is helpful sometimes, but it's not like, for example, I was saying before. Tory Lane's R and B singer rapper, quite famous for insert make the stallion, put the verb in if you will. Tory Lanes is a very famous artist, a very prolific artist, a very objectively successful artist, one heaps of awards. Is renowned to be incredible because he had a hit and it went viral, and people assume that would have been the inception of his career. No, this I released as mixtapes back to back to back to back. When covers were a thing before everyone you wet copyright making covers as soon as the song got popular. He would make a cover as soon as someone was up and would come and he would try and collaborate with them. Now, if we look at his body of work, he probably has one thousand songs available to be consumed publicly. But people refuse to see that necessary that we can have access to that. So we're not all like, oh, we released one song as you Have Yes and you Wonder why the Grammy hasn't come.
Speaker 3: I was collaborating with a real Grammy, real Grammy winner and another Grammy affiliated artist.
Speaker 1: That's probably one of my biggest successes.
Speaker 3: And there have been other flop songs such as Tuna I can't say it on air, but Tuna Dick. That was a ode to a coworker that wouldn't let me heat up tuna in the microwave.
Speaker 1: Somehow didn't get fired.
Speaker 3: Definitely made redundant about a year later, but I did write on the coattails of that song for a little while.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 1: Flex and firms Flex and free.
Speaker 2: Cater never miss a beat. If you are the type of person who believes you don't have to say please and thank you to your AI. You're Siri, You're Bixby, You're Alexa. You are the weakest link, and you're the first one they're going to take it. I'm telling you, let's just have.
Speaker 3: A quick moment. Bixby is a real thing. Android uses stand.
Speaker 2: Up, stand up now. I was off grid when chat chat bet what's the called chat GPT? I was off grid when chat GPT was announced. I was in Ghana doing Eat Prey Love Barely online. So when I came back, I was so behind the curb and I thought it was going to die out. I thought it was going to I thought it was going to be discussed into obscurity. I didn't pay attention. Come to find out that four months later, a new chat beat what is.
Speaker 1: This thing called chat GPT?
Speaker 2: A new chat GPT has launched that's apparently ten times better than the original, And people who know what these things mean are scared. So as I stay with Glee, you should be scared to listen to this.
Speaker 4: It's only been six hours since GPT four was released, and these are the crazy things that people have been doing. After you see these use cases, things may never be the same again. For example, it turned this hand drawn napkin into a fully functioning website, and that is because GPT four can now process images and spit out texts, whereas with GPT three you could only do text to text, which means you can feed it an image and GPT four can tell you why it's so funny or generate social media captions based on the image that you feed it. It can also do drug discovery, finding similar drugs and making sure they're not patented, purchasing from a supplier and including an email with a purchase order, finding loopholes in contracts and exploiting them. You'll also see more accuracy in GPT four compared to GPT three, which sometimes gave you the wrong answer. My most hated subject tax accounting. You can get it to interpret tax code for you. Of course you always need to check with an accountant, but basically you paste the whole code in there and ask a question based on your situation, where it can interpret the code and also give you the answer with reasoning. To get access to GPE D four, you do need to have a GPT plus once you've signed up. You should see this at the very top. I'll be playing around with GPT four, so follow on for more tips and tricks.
Speaker 2: I feel like what people fail to disclose is that to receive any benefit from using chat GPT, you need to have a baseline of extreme intelligence, because I wouldn't even know to ask these things to do these things, let alone trust that the answer it's giving me should be acknowledged, like it can help you with.
Speaker 3: Tax What do you mean you don't even know what a tax is? Okay at this point, no, I mean it like, what is the tax code? I'm being serious, Okay, chat GPT four do we endorse?
Speaker 2: I endorse because I think the sooner, the sooner we get serious about AI singularity, the sooner we start knowing Asmov's law robotics, like we know our TikTok for you pages the better stuff. It's really scary. And also I think that a lot of us have this belief that if things were to go down and buy down, I mean it's robot AI was uprise, that we'd be safe. No babes were the weak is link already.
Speaker 3: And given how quick this came about, you know how like things compound and then they get bigger really quickly. Like if you make a dollar a day and then you do something with it, it can become.
Speaker 1: A million dollars a week.
Speaker 2: Talk an investing, don't make me go into it.
Speaker 3: Take the paper clip to a house phenomena from like two thousand and four. If the same principles have been applied to chat GPT, it could only be a matter of months until humans. Until humans are rendered obsolete.
Speaker 2: The only solution is becoming an analog babe, because there's digital digital every day is not helpful. All your digital marketers out of a job tomorrow. We need farmers.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, farm wants a wife.
Speaker 2: We need Okay, we need we need plumbers.
Speaker 1: I don't want to actually do the farming.
Speaker 2: Probably, what's a wife? Enough?
Speaker 3: Listen, you got two women willing to go on farm and what's a wife? Me and my old ego who will come out because I'll be pretending to be a character.
Speaker 1: Will you really go one farm with his wife?
Speaker 2: Any kind of reality TV show dating situation.
Speaker 3: I was at a friend's birthday lunch the other day.
Speaker 2: No, we're not getting firms.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.