Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Outspoken. It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Kay Torbert And coming up on today's show, Lillly Brown calls out major Australian brands over dressing gown dupe, Jade Tunci says she's off the PR invite list now that she's a mum. And our Friday Debrief But First, Britney Saunders and Matt Hay have spilt some serious tea about the meanest influencer in Australia. Talking on their podcast High Scrollers, Brita and Matt were discussing the notion of what you put out to the universe coming back to you. When Matt said this, Oh.
Speaker 2: And people just come to mind. There's one influencer that comes to mind, and you know exactly who it would be. But she is the nastiest motherfucker in this industry.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she just kicks having the worst luck and she keeps like a video after video about how miserable her fucking life is.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, we have everyone guessing about it.
Speaker 2: Gets it, bitch, guess it. She is a nasty, nasty piece of work.
Speaker 3: What if she.
Speaker 1: Knows because she would know you're.
Speaker 2: Because there's there's one person I don't care bringing on love.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a reality check that some people need.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing.
Speaker 3: She is a nasty, nasty piece of work too, quite quite literally. Everyone everyone has a problem, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I would pay a lot of money to have confirmation of who this is. I have someone in mind. Yeah, I don't know if we should say though, who I think it could be. Can you give some clues? Well, the influencer I think it could potentially be lives in Melbourne and she's in her mid twenties. She used to date an AFL player and she recently has been called out a lot. I'm wondering if it could be her. I know exactly who you're talking about, and she did jump to mine. But then I wonder, is this influencer located in the same spot as Britt and Matt or there aren't heaps of influencers in Newcastle, but it could be someone more in New South Wales that they may have met at events. And Britney Saunders is such a lovely influencer. The fact that she even has a problem with this person highlights how horrendous this person must act. Oh my other thought is Anna Pole like could maybe because obviously everything's turned to shit for her so well Britain, Matt, if you would like to slide into our DMS and tell us who this influencer is, we'll promise we'll keep you a secret, or any of our listeners if you've got some guesses. Welcome back to another daily blog. Today started super early. We had a massive photo shoot down in Byron Bay. Today, Lily Brown has hit out at two retailers for allegedly copying the designs of her popular viral robe Amy can you tell us more so? Lily owns sleep where brand Chill, which has become famous for its signature snug robes, and these have been popping off on TikTok because they not only look super comfortable they're made of fleas, but they're also stopped in these really esthetic colors. I'd kind of say they're the Frank Green of sleep wear because they've been made in colors like butter and maple and tangerine. They're really cool, they're beautiful robes. I remember when they got released and literally every influencer and their dog was wearing them and I'm like, why do I want them? That's really working here? Well, they also have a headband which looks like Bear ears as an accessory, so you can get a matching one, and they are quite pricey. They'll set you back around one hundred and fifty nine dollars. I think Lily's done a really good job at promoting these robes and having this signature product because she's had her pajama brand Chill for a couple of years now, and it hasn't been a super easy road for her. She's spoken a lot in podcasts about how it would have been a lot easier for her to just stick with influencing rather than opening up a business. I think that she was quite shocked that it wasn't as easy as she thought. Yeah, well there was all that over the Smelly pajamas a couple of years ago. We spoke in detail about it, and I know that really hurt Lily. Yeah, you can tell her business means a lot to her. Obviously, She's put a lot on the line to make it successful and she is doing a good job, as you said, because she has been able to create this level of scarcity with the product. Because every time they release a new color, it sells out instantly. They also recently did a successful collaboration with influencer Jazz Hand and that created a lot more buzz around the robe, so they released a special robe in the color oak, better known as brown. Okay, I prefer oak. I think that sounds bad now. Late last week, Lily took to Instagram to air her frustration at Bras and Things and Suzanne's for allegedly copying her design. She wrote, so I've decided it's not flattering, it's unfair, rude, and fucking annoying. Now, to be completely honest, I wasn't going to name and shame, but this is ridiculous. Stop ripping off small brands with your hundreds of stores nationwide and internationally. I don't think it makes much difference to either of these retailer's bottom line if they sell a few robes here and there. For me, are snug robes are my whole life. She went on to say, I've continually invested and reinvested back into the business since day one, putting everything on the line constantly and taking huge financial risks. I literally moved three hours away from my warehouse to save money so I can continue to support my business. So this is just another slap in the face, especially after Bras and Things launched their snug dupe in March, after I literally shot a campaign for them and promoted their brand on my socials two weeks before they had this style on their shop floor. I really feel for Lily because I agree with her this is a big slap in the face, and as she pointed out, this could really affect chules bottom line because the Bras and Things dupe will set you back sixty nine ninety nine or sue Zan''s priced at seventy nine ninety five. They're both around half the price of Lily's robe. The colors aren't as bougie as Chills, but they're identical. People are going to buy these robes instead of hers, yeah, particularly because they have brick and mortar stores where you can easily just pick them up instead of having to maybe potentially pay for postage as well. I do wonder how Bras and Things partnership team feels about being called out, because it's really not a good look that this happened after they used her in a campaign. Well, it shows you how focus Lily is on her brand, because for her to call out a brand like Bras and Things, other brands might be put off from working with her in the future. Yeah. I mean, she has been pretty vocal in saying that her business is the number one priority. She still does influencing to I suppose pay some bills so that she can do her business. I mean, Bras and Things is an interesting brand for her to collaborate with. There is a little bit of crossover with product I suppose with the Sleep Prayer range. But yeah, I mean you've got to pay your bills at the end, exactly. I Mean what I find so funny though, is that back in the day when we were at school, it was like social suicide if you were to come with a dupe of any product or some sort of like, you know, a fake Louis Verton bag. But now it's seen as being really cool. The whole culture has changed around it, and a lot of that is down to TikTok. So we have seen this rise in the hashtag jupe trend. There's been over three billion views on dupe videos. I mean, there are even dupe influencers. I don't know if you've seen them, kay, but they have really taken away the taboo of buying the cheaper options. Do you know what when you said Jupe influencers, I thought you meant like there's a yeah. I thought you meant like some Sene or Timu version of the influencer. But no, Jupe culture is massive on TikTok And in a way I like it because I think it's great to be savvier with your dollars and being like, oh, hang on, it's actually cool to buy, you know, clothes from km arts. So Fidopha led us in on that little secret alone a couple of weeks ago, a set no one knew about. But again, for creatives, it's absolutely terrible for the industry. Well, historically, influencer brands like Chill have been able to really capitalize on having this aura of exclusivity. But you can see now that this culture of jupes is really threatening this uniqueness. It's now not enough just to have a really cool product, because somebody is going to come around and they're going to copy it and sell it for a cheaper price. It's also got a lot to do with fast fashion and how quickly trends are being churned out. We are seeing people push back though on dupes and micro trends at the moment. I mean, we had all of that drama around Sofa Do for being named the biggest micro trend final Boss at Australian Fashion Week, and there is this uncoolness around just jumping on every single trend and having what everyone else has. But I mean again, that is probably just a small trend that's not going to last and people are then going to go back to just buying everything again and again. What's crazy is the people that don't want the jupes I think are like the twelve year olds, they're the don't want them. Yeah, they're the sort of kids that will bully another kid that doesn't have a Stanley cup. Like if some kid came with the Kama rip off Stanley cup, those kids would get bullied at school. However, when your people our age and we're like, oh my god, have you seen the cheaper version of this? Because we don't have the cash, I'm not paying for a Stanley cup. Yeah. The unfortunate reality for Lily is there's not a lot that she can do about this because even though it seems completely unfair, it's not actually illegal because there's a big difference between counterfeit products and dupes. So counterfeit products they directly infringe on trademark and IP because they're essentially just a complete copy of a brand's logo and branding, whereas jupes are more ambiguous because they're taking inspiration from a design. So with bras and things and Suzanne's robes, yes, they've obviously taken inspiration from Lily's, but they're not exactly the same, and that's where the gray area lie. The one thing you will see some businesses doing is copywriting certain colors. I mean, maybe that's what Lily has done with chill because they haven't released them in her specific colors. But it is pretty crazy that there is not much these people can do. I mean, that's just how Sheen has become such a big business, because they literally copy everything and get away with it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to pigeonhole myself as like a mom, because I am so much more than that, and I do want to do other things with my time and my day and my life, but also that's what I'm doing right now.
Speaker 1: Jade Tuni has candidly spoken out about the realities of becoming a mum when you're a fashion influencer. In a seven minute TikTok video, Jadey opened up about her loss of identity and the feeling of being in limbo since the birth of her son, Fletcher. Let's have a listen to what she said.
Speaker 4: When you become a mother, there's like a lot of transformation that occurs, especially like a little bit later on. I didn't really feel like this in the beginning.
Speaker 1: I was like, what's everyone talking about? Your life changes?
Speaker 4: Like I have a baby and that's hard, but whatever, And now I get it. I'm like, Okay, there's a lot. There's a lot that changes, and there's a lot of like kind of shifts that you go through. And one of those shifts for me, and I know for a lot of other moms, is like the shift that kind of happens in your career and especially in my line of work, like what I do every day kind of brings me that kind of work.
Speaker 1: Jade went on to explain that a lot of her content previously focused on clothing holes, but she's not in a position to share that type of content right now because their priority is no longer dressing up and going out to dinner. It's being a mom. God, I couldn't relate to that one even more. I feel for the last year, all I've been wearing are leggings and oversized jumpers. I mean fashion, what is that? And I mean Jaraday's in a position though, where that used to be her job and it would be really difficult because she doesn't have time to dress up. Or We were laughing the other day, Kate, because we were saying that we've been setting the bar really low for our husbands in terms of our appearance, because both of them are like, oh, thank god, you're wearing jeans. You look amazing, and we're like, wow, Ree's compliment to me because we were going to a friend's fortieth and I came out yet literally in a cardigan and jeans, and he goes, oh, you look really nice. I can see you've made an effort. You've got a belt on, just like a belt. And the saddest thing was I actually got that belt for my birthday because I was like, I need to dress up my casual clothes with some accessories so I look like I'm making more of an effort.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Charda also spoke about how she really doesn't want to pigeon herself as a mummy creator, and I think a lot of people may have wondered if she would go down that route because she and her husband Lucky Bricky have just announced they're expecting their second baby boy in December. But I actually really respect jar Day for coming out and saying, look, that's not really what she's interested in doing. It surprised me though, because I think her content has really changed since she became a mum. I really didn't relate much to her content before. I obviously am a mum myself as well. You didn't relate to her fashionista content. I mean no, because I'm joking. I'm not very fashionable now as a mum, and I wasn't really into fashion before either. I struggled in that set too. But ever since she's had Fletcher and I feel the connection to her because I had my son a couple of days after. It's like, you know those influences who are pregnant at the same time as you. I've just really enjoyed her content. I feel like she's been really authentic and shown the reality of what it is like being a mum. So I was surprised to hear that she doesn't want to be a mummy vlogger because I think it would be extremely lucrative to her. In fact, she was talking about how a lot of brands that she works with have turned their back and it almost sounded like she's struggling to get deals, which surprised me because I think the mum fluencer space in terms of partnerships is massive. Well, I think it's a case of she doesn't want to just be defined as I'm a mum, like she wants to actually have her own autonomy and fashion is what she's clearly interested in. But as you said, Kate, she revealed she's no longer getting invited to the same events that she normally would. Let's have a listen to what she said.
Speaker 4: Also, feel like I've been a little bit like shoved to the side, you know, like I had a couple of contracts that were kind of still going before I had Fletcher, and then after I had Fletcher, they just kind of fizzled out and like disappeared, and that you know, people kind of said like, oh not, you know, it's not super aligned anymore, and like that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: That does hurt a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie, it does it's kind of like, oh, it feels like you're a mum now, all good.
Speaker 1: Sea, Yeah, Like that's how it feels.
Speaker 4: And I guess that's kind of like a bit of the downside of building a career in what is like what kind of was cemented in a lot of it had to do with how I looked. Let's be honest, it's hard and I'm trying my best to show up, but it feels like I'm starting from the bottom again when I've kind of grown this thing for fifteen years that I'm really proud of. It feels like I have to like start from scratch because I've become I don't know, and unrelatable and unhot, and it's like I need to make myself interesting again so that people will want to have me around.
Speaker 1: That's kind of how it feels. Jar Day finished off by saying that part of her was scared to share how she felt, as it might scare off new work, but she wanted to be honest with her audience. I personally found that really fascinating because I've been noticing this shift with influencers, so being in my thirties, a lot of the influences now that I've followed are similar age, maybe a little bit younger, And now there's this new wave of influencers who are getting invited to Coachella. I mean, I remember when it was Coachella a couple of months ago, and influencers like Steph Klesmith and Tully Smyth were doing throwback saying, oh my god, look how young we were at Coachella. Were handing the baton over. So I feel like there is this awkward transition for influencers who are in their thirties. They may have had a baby or a couple of kids, but they don't want to be mummy bloggers. But they're also now not fitting that demographic of the party girl that goes out traveling and wears nice clothes. And then there seems to be that level of the Bet Judds and the Nadia Bartels whose kids are a little bit older, so now they're back partying at Coachella. It seems like the influencers that are in that in between stage they almost need to decide if they want to be booktalkers or mummy bloggers, because that seems like BookTalk. It seems like it's like, oh, actually, you're around thirty, you like plants, you like being indoors, You want to go to BET nine PM, become a book talker, yes, or become really interested in organizing your house one of these organization pages. I mean, I'm laughing about that stuff. I mean, I'm not into BookTalk as much. Well I'm at all. Really, I don't have time to read. I really want to be someone that reads, but I just don't have time. I like the YouTubers who do the BookTalk videos in terms of not when they're talking about the books, but when they try and show off their lifestyle of journaling. But I don't really care about the books they read. I've no idea about any of them. Yeah, it's kind of like those organizational influences. Love watching them clean, love watching their house organized. Do I do it myself? Well, not like the pigsty of a house. Watching them organize their books, it made me wonder who the high end brands are that aren't being nice to Jarde. Toun't she because I'm not about that well. Jar Day is known for working with high end brands like Louis Vaton and Gucci, and I have seen she's done recent work with them. But jar Day flagged that the brands haven't renewed their contract with hers, so it's still unclear as to which brands are the luxury ones that are no longer doing work with her. I wonder if Jaday's reluctant to move into the mummy blogging space after all the criticism she copped after she spoke about sleep training. Did you see those I didn't see the posts, but it doesn't surprise me because anytime you mentioned sleep training and children, people go off about it. Yeah, because she's been having issues with her son Fletcher's sleep for around a year. She has been very open about the fact that her and Lockie have been not getting any sleep. They've been having to sleep in Fletcher's room with him next to him in a bed, and they got someone into sleep train him, and she said it was of her own mental health. And still there were so many negative comments about it and people judging her. So maybe she's like, oh, it's probably easier just to post about fashion. Yeah. Well, as you said, Kate, being a new mum, I have enjoyed her content more recently and you can see that she does share different content on TikTok than she would on Instagram. Like Instagram it's all high fashion, more aspirational content, whereas TikTok she keeps it a bit more real. But I had a look at Social Blade and it surprised me because jar Day over the past thirty days has lost one thousand, five hundred Instagram followers, So it looks like maybe the people who did follow her for the fashion content aren't interested in her mum content at all. Like she's obviously announced recently that she's expecting her second child. Normally you get an influx of followers, but maybe people have gone, oh, I'm not really interested in this load of mum content. That surprises me because she's one of the only big Australian influencers whose following has moved across to TikTok, so she's got around half a million followers on TikTok. If you look at influencers like Steph Claire Smith and Sarah's Day who have over a million followers on Instagram and then you go over to their tiktoks, they've only got a couple of hundreds. So clearly Jida Twin she is doing something right on TikTok if she's attracted so many new followers or even moving followers across to that platform. Yeah, and I thought it was really good of her to actually shine a light on this issue of mum's feeling like they have this lost sense of identity because being on maternity leave, I can see how it gets like that. If you're spending all of your time focused on just your child and you're away from work, you're no longer doing all the things that you used to do, you are going to feel a bit like you don't really know who you are anymore. And that's what Jai Da talked about, and she said, no, my job isn't completely relatable, but this idea of feeling a bit lost when you've had a baby is. Yeah, it really resonated with me as well. Let's get into our Friday debrief. And I've had such a good week because my son Jack turned one on Tuesday, and it just blows my mind because it feels like he's been around forever, like he's been a part of the family forever. Yet when I reflect, I'm like, how was it a year that I went into hospital? Because you and Sophie were sending me all the snapchat memories of everyone waiting in the waiting room for hours and hours and hours and mum buying blue flowers, and I was like, oh my god, that feels like yesterday. It does feel like yesterday, but as you said, then it feels so long ago. And I want to say hats off to you, Kate, because you pulled off the most amazing first birthday. If you go and have a look at Kate's instagram, she's shared a few photos and it was bear themes and it was so I found it very aesthetically pleasing. It was very cute with all the teddy bears had little birthday hats and your cake. You pulled out the Women's Weekly Bear cake. It looked elite. It also tasted really good because I don't know if there's other mums out there or people who grew up having or eating the Women's Weekly Birthday cake. A lot of people use packet cake, but you decided no, I'm actually going to make a red velvet cake. Thank you. I'll give you that ten dollars I promised if you would pump my ties a little bit for me. But yeah, I Sophe's like, why aren't you making the nostalgic packet cake? And I'm someone that loves baking. So I've got a really good red velvet recipe. It's actually just the Jane Petisserie one if anyone wants to try. It's not my own or anything. And I was like, nah, I'll make that so it actually tastes good. But Sophie was like, oh, hang on, but what if the red comes through into the icing? And I was like, nah, nah, it won't. And then I put Jack down for his afternoon nap and I'm like, okay, I've hopefully got two hours like i'd pre made the cakes to cut them out and decorate it. Oh, the pressure was on and I did the first crumb coat and I was like, fuck, like v on my understanding, I don't even know what a crumb coat is. It's like the coat of icing that you put on that's meant to contain the crumb so crumbs do come out. But I was thinking, I've got such a big ball to put this cake on. Normally you put the cake in the fridge so that the icing sets a little bit before you put the second coat on, but I couldn't do that. So fortunately the second coat worked, but yes, it was so much fun. I actually made Jack also the one cake for Tuesday, because I was tossing up between the two and the one is just so nostalgic. And I put all the Smarties on in a way it was so delicious. There's something just about Smarties and icing that is just elite. It's got me a bit nervous because now I'm thinking, oh my god, what am I going to do for Harry's first birthday? Like do I have to do one of the Women's weekly cake? Well, if anyone is planning a first birthday, my recommendation would be to have it somewhere else that's not at your house, because I had it at a pub. I know. We spoke a lot about where I should have it. Yeah, and it was so good because he rocked up. I could just focus on picking out decorations that I liked and then the cake, which were the two important things for me. So I'm glad that I did that because I'm like, if I had to clean my house on top of all this, look, Dale and I had gluttons for punishment because when we left your birthday or Jack's birthday, I should say I said to him, so, what do you think we'll do for Harry's Birthday's? Like we'll have it at our house. We'll probably do a barbecue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I was talking to Dale at the bar when we were getting a drink and he's like, Oh, did you have to pay room higher? And I was like, nah, because it's June. There's no room higher, no minimum spend. And I almost thought like, oh, maybe he was considering it, and then recent and I spoke about it and he's like, there's no way they'll do it at their house here. Well, I've got a recommendation for anyone who's looking for a YouTube series to watch over the weekend. I mentioned on our Monday episode how I've become really invested in Georgia Richard's, Sophie Jane Miller, and Rachel Catherine's YouTube videos. The three of them are over in New York at the moment, and I have thoroughly been enjoying their content. I don't know if it's a bit of escapism for me while I'm feeding Harry, Yeah, but I have been loving seeing them over in New York. They've been going to the Hamptons. It's summer there at the moment. It's always interesting when a group of influencers go on a trip and then they all produce content from that trip and it's all slightly different but has crossovers. Yeah, I don't know, it's just this mindless stuff I put on in the background. It's been fabulous, so I've been really living for their content at the moment. If anyone can hear cute little baby noises in the background, we are recording at our parents' house. We're actually in your old bedroom, Amy, which has been turned into the grandchildren's room, and Harry is I think he's kind of sleeping. Well, he started making all of the cooing noises, which is very cute. Yeah, he's just such a cute little boy. Well, I think on that note, Harry is waking up, so we will wrap things up there. Thank you very much for listening to Outspoken. If you do want to hear more from us, we dropped our subs episode yesterday where we spoke about Laura Henshaw's shock pregnancy announcement, amongst other news, and if you did enjoy the episode, we'd love if you could go and leave us a five star review because it really helps out the podcast. This podcast was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide planes. We pay respect to elders past and present,